From Star Trek: Theurgy Wiki
Scuttlebutt! Synonyms include buzz, gossip, hearsay, noise, report, talk and tattle. The study of rumor can be traced back to 1940s, when psychological studies tried to discover the driving forces of rumors. Since then, story importance and information ambiguity have been intensively investigated for understanding rumor spreading. In 2381, the phenomenon still exist, and on this page, all writers are encouraged to add rumours they think might spread aboard the Theurgy! For example, it is recommended that if two characters end up romantically or sexually affiliated, the tryst is listed here, since scuttlebutt like that travels at warp speed on an isolated ship like the Theurgy.
When including any of the listed rumours below, there is no requirement to read the origin links, since the inherent nature of the rumour is the lack of information evaluation, or even the availability of it. That being said, there has to be some kind of origin with a smidgen of truth to it when you make a new rumor. Most importantly, just have fun with the entries!
According to CERT (Cross-topic Emerging Rumor deTection) as decribed in this paper, rumors aboard the Theurgy could be clustered in three categories of rumors.
- Curiosity Rumors: These rumors are best described as such of intrigue and very mild controversy. Example: "Did you hear Liam Herrold and Eun Sae Ji were a thing? But after they broke up, and she left on an away mission, he had a threesome in his quarters? Yeah, and when she returned, she was killed outside Nicander's holding cell by the Klingon that detonated the bomb in the Spearhead Lounge."
- Dread Rumors: These rumors convey fear about a potential negative event. Like "No one is confirming it... but what if the parasites are sexually transmitted? Isn't that why the Infested caused the outbreak of the Niga virus? What if that was the plan all along, and after the Niga Incident, we are all just waiting to hear voices in our heads?"
- Wedge-Driving Rumors: Wedge-driving rumors divide people groups, such as this false one from World War II: "I've heard that Department isn't helping with the repairs of the ship, holing themselves up and thinking they are better than the rest of us."
The Scuttlebutt List!
Add your entries with a brief description, a categorisation as well as a link to the origin event which might have caused the rumour to spread.
|Scuttlebutt Aboard the USS Theurgy||Specs|
|"Did you hear Liam Herrold and Eun Sae Ji were a thing? But after they broke up, and she left on an away mission, he had a threesome in his quarters? Yeah, and when she returned, she was killed outside Nicander's holding cell by the Klingon that detonated the bomb in the Spearhead Lounge."||Curiosity||Link 01|
|"No one is confirming it... but what if the parasites are sexually transmitted? Isn't that why the Infested caused the outbreak of the Niga virus? What if that was the plan all along, and after the Niga Incident, we are all just waiting to hear voices in our heads?"||Dread||Link|
|"Anyone notice that Daniel Havenborn and K'Ren hooked up so soon after Deacon died? The way Daniel was looking at K'Ren after the last battle? And how they went straight to his quarters? Has she been cheating on Deacon all these months? Did Daniel sire her cub?"||Curiosity||Link|
|Victor vanVinter was once engaged to someone that he wrote actual letters to. This is backed up by when his personal effects were put into storage, they contained a decades worth of actual paper correspondence. The personal effects were later pulled out of storage upon his revival.||Curiosity||Link|
|Did you hear? Sithick has turned cannibal. That's right! He ate some Klingons on Praxis and has started a skull collection in his quarters. I swear I saw him licking his lips and sniffing the air around sickbay. He is like a shark in the water just waiting to strike. And we are all on the menu!||Dread||Link|
Rumor Spreading Roles
In this section, a rumor spreading model, which considers rumor credibility, correlation between rumors and people’s lives and crowd classification based on personality, is proposed. Based on something called the SIR model and the hesitating mechanism, individuals can be divided into five classes according to the process of rumor spreading as follows:
- Steady Ignorant: This class includes people who do not know the rumor; if they hear the rumor, they prefer to contemplate it and seek confirmation before making decisions.
- Radical Ignorant: This class includes people who do not know the rumor; if they hear the rumor, they are most likely to believe it and spread it without contemplating it or seeking confirmation.
- Exposed: This class includes people who know the rumor but hesitate to believe it and do not spread it.
- Spreader: This class includes people who spread the rumor.
- Stifler: This class includes people who know the rumor but never spread it or stop spreading it.
Characters ought to belong to only one of the 5 classes, but may switch depending on the social relationship with the one to whom s/he speaks, or if they have personal history that correlate with the specific rumour.
Mission Hazard Rating
This represents the word of mouth on how hazardous a mission usually is when this crew member in question is involved. This rating is typically represented on a scale of 0 to 7 and represents the most hazard the crew member may face. Could be more, could be less, but will be between 0 and 7.
- 0: The rumour mill will sort this out after your first major injury, second minor injury, or fifth fight without injury.
- 1: This rating generally means that the worst mishap this person will get involved in is they will drop their PADD on the ground.
- 2: This person can be expected to work in areas that can be hazardous, but is not meant to be, like being at risk of getting hit by a falling cargo crate.
- 3: This person will see combat, but generally does not want it nor expects it.
- 4: Confrontation comes looking for this person, but in a manner that is no more deadly than usual.
- 5: It's absolutely dangerous, and the outcome is totally worth it. Have you seen the technology?/We have to save that person!/It's the only way!.
- 6: The gates of hell itself will pour forth the legions of the damned to seek this person's skull.
- 7: Kirk Era Red Shirt.
|USS Theurgy Crewmember||Danger Rating||Reasoning|
|Lieutenant JG Tessa May Lance, callsign "Goldeneye"||6||Loud metal crunching sounds. Fire on the flight deck! Goldeneye? Goldeneye. Sigh.|
|Ensign Sarah Bjørge||6||Anyone that cute, happy, and helpful has to be the most dangerous.|
|Lieutenant Alana Pierce||5||The temporal mechanics are complicated and irrelevant. They sent the right woman to do the job.|
|Lieutenant Regiene "Reggie" Suder, callsign "Gemini"||5||She flew the Terracota blind, what do you think she'll do with a fighter??|
|Lieutenant JG XamotZark zh’Ptrell||5||Starts blaring Ride of the Valkyries and charges into oncoming fire while firing from the hip|
|Lieutenant JG Azrin Ryn||5||Yes, it's dangerous, but have you seen the technology on that ship?|
|Ensign Victor vanVinter||5||Yeehaaww!|
|Ensign Via Wix||5||Y'all are my bitches now! What does this button do??|
|Lieutenant Commander Cross||4||Master of phaser both big and small. He's also developing a touch with torpedoes as well.|
|Lieutenant Frank Arnold||4||It's his job to keep the engines running, shields up, and weapons hot, problem is that position of his, well.....|
|Lieutenant Arven Leux||4||Glassed a planet to save the galaxy|
|Lieutenant Enyd Isolde Madsen||4||Her diplomatic and tactical acumen are interlinked. Huh? Why? She'll use both on the same mission.|
|Lieutenant JG Dantius Thi Anh-Le||4||Likes to fight dirty by activating the grenade of the opponent right on top of her.|
|Lieutenant JG Kala Marika||4||Borg, Klingons, Asurians, Niga, what's another thing that's trying to kill me?|
|Ensign K'Ren||4||Flying a fighter is inherently dangerous. What I object to is what keeps happening to my mates!|
|Lieutenant Commander Hathev||3||Mhmmm, I see. Excuse me, if you continue to interrupt my patient's session, you will regret it.|
|Lieutenant Commander Samantha Rutherford||3||I don’t usually plan conflict. It sort of just … happens. Do you have to taunt them?|
|Ensign Lauren Pierce||3||She can make the yacht turn on a dime I tell ya! Threaded a bunch of mines while flying through asteroids!|
|Lieutenant Nick Chambers||3||Not much is known about him, except that he has issues once infected with the Niga.|
|Ensign Faye Lintah Eloi-Danvers||2||Riley, just carry me, pretty please??? Imzadi, your hands need to be higher.|
|Ensign L'Nari||2||Why does this keep happening to me? Ensign Eloi-Danvers, stop that whispering!|
|Ensign Mia Dunne||2||My PADD fell off the table then the lab suddenly blew up!|
|CM1 Nara Nueva||2|| Don't know much about her. Heard she's really smart, but deals with weird exotic particles. So we could all start glowing rainbow soon.