Skip to main content
Topic: Main OOC Thread  (Read 365705 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Main OOC Thread

Reply #5151
My sympathies @Brutus !

Here, in this family, Covid tests are negative but 3 out of 4 are down with a severe cold and a light fever atm.  We'll see if things take a turn for the worse but so far it's not too bad.

Hope other Theurgists out there are feeling better!

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #5152

ENIGMATALES HAS TO STEP AWAY FOR A WHILE

Sadly I got this PM from one of our new members, @EnigmaTales , who only got to write in one thread before having to leave us:

Quote from: EnigmaTales
Hey there,
unfortunately, my personal situation has changed and I am currently not able to invest any time into the game. I hope to be able to return sooner rather than later, but the current economic situation isn't great and the work I have to put into maintaining my job has pretty much tripled.

Talera can be inherited or just vanish behind the scenes.

I hope they get to return sooner rather than later, but in the meantime, their character will be made available for inheritance:

Lt. Talera Emlott          Asst. Chief Medical Officer (NPC)

- Former Writer: @EnigmaTales

After Doctor Rez preformed her surgery and she later woke up in this thread Day 07 [15479] Alive, Talera Emlott became Asst. Chief Medical Officer alongside Rez. Unless Talera is inherited prior to Episode 02, she will exit the story in some way. This, in order to free up her position for an active writer.

SPEAKING OF DOCTOR REZ....

.... @BipSpoon has cashed in a Token Reward in order to inherit her!

Lt. Amelya Rez          Asst. Chief Medical Officer

- Writer: @BipSpoon

This character, along with her former host - Edena Rez - has a lot of background story in the sim, and I will be compiling a synopsis for @BipSpoon that will detail all the current and bygone subplots revolving around her. I very much look forward to seeing Rez' story continuing, since Rez has been a part of Star Trek: Theurgy since Episode 01 of Season 1. Full latitude has been given to her new writer to change and build upon this character's story so that she can be made her own, and I hope she will be a joy to write.

Congratulations on your new character, @BipSpoon(L)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #5154
So, guys, I will be on vacation from this Saturday Sept. 02 until Sept 18. :) I hope to catch up more tonight and tomorrow but also still have to pack two weeks worth of luggage lol

And you know how this goes, you think to yourself: On vacation you will have even more time to write and then you can't get a single second to commit to it. So, I should not promise anything!

But I will do my best /;-D

Take care peeps!

Reply #5156
Apologies again, but my computer crapped out again.  Should be fixed some time tomorrow.  @RyeTanker @BipSpoon apologies for the delay. 
Really enjoying writing a halfway stable character for once...

Reply #5157
Sorry for the absence guys. It has been a very hectic few months getting back up and running with school and then catching Covid again. But sitting at home for 5 days recouping has given me plenty of catch up time. Setting aside time once a week to put toward writing. So lets bring on the fun.
CPO Sithick [Show/Hide]
CWO1 Larrant [Show/Hide]
BG Natauna
[Show/Hide]

Reply #5158

WIKI DATABASE UPGRADE THIS WEEKEND

My domain provider is forcing an upgrade to PHP 8.0 on the 28th of November and I know from previous testing that our wiki version can't handle that. Therefore I'll be working on the wiki this weekend to either upgrade it or just ascertain what needs to be done. It is so old that I suspect it may have to be upgraded in two phases. First, to an intermediate version and then once more to a version that can handle PHP 8.0.

As long as MediaWiki did not change the markup code then it should be a similar process to the forum upgrade we did last year. I'll make a backup, upgrade (twice) and then update all the extensions.

This means if you do a wiki edit this weekend it may be lost. Moreover, the wiki might become inaccessible at times.

I will announce when it is free to edit the wiki again. The forum will be left alone so you can write and post unhindered in the meantime. :)

That's all for now!

Best,

Auctor Lucan

PS. Oh, @Pierce spent some Tokens to unlock a holo-pet privilege for one of his characters so you may spot a new critter aboard in upcoming posts!  (L)

Reply #5159

THE WIKI IS OPEN FOR EDITS AGAIN!

Great progress over the weekend! I believe all of the theme edits have been found and incorporated into a new version of the wiki. As this is a much newer version of MediaWiki, there are going to be some areas that have wrong or missing styling. Some style names changed, some were added, etc etc. Those will need to be addressed as they are found and reported.  What has been found has been updated in a local copy (not the online version).

The majority of the work is completed locally, but next weekend (24th and 25th of September), the real update will be made. Unfortunately, both the forum and wiki need to be down during the update. The site is setup with a single database that both the forum and wiki use. As such, to do the wiki update, we need the database to be limits since with a backup made Friday evening, there is no guarantee that posts made over the weekend will be retained in case I need to restore that backup.

Once the update is done I will be able to set the site to PHP version 8.0, and the forced PHP update will not render our wiki defunct.

STARDUST LEAVES US TODAY

Today I got a PM wherein stardust asked for a leave of absence, and she has therefore been listed as Inactive Theurgist. The reason she cited was the difficulty of dealing with the In-Character fallout of Swift's characters being KIA, and what it led to for her own, highly affiliated characters. Stellan was Kate Foster's sister and Andrew Fisher was the love interest of Samantha Rutherford. She said she needed time to figure things out .

I have come to the conclusion, that I want to ask you for the permission to take an extended leave of absence, while my characters are being put into stasis. Samantha obviously for the injuries sustained in the shuttle attack that killed Andrew and Stellan can get injured in the writing prompt I have with Juzzie, where they have to blow up the holodeck. All this so I can take the time to set my priorities straight and focus on the fun things in life ... while also figuring out what these are ... and hopefully coming back to the SIM with more energy and muse to tackle the aftermath of all this at a later point in the story.

In the interest of finding a new Chief Diplomatic Officer prior to Episode 02, this is effective immediately.

As for the fate of her two characters, as per her request, Samantha Rutherford will have been put into stasis aboard the Theurgy following the very same shuttle incident in which Andrew Fisher was KIA, on Day 9. Therefore, the thread named Welcome to Caaaaasssaaaa Diplomatico! has been moved to Day 09. If there are any problematic In-Character complications by moving this thread to Day 09, please PM me and we'll sort it out somehow. As for Stellan Fisher, as she wrote, he is to end up in stasis following a holodeck malfunction on Day 5 of the Interregnum, which can either happen off screen or illustrated in the unfinished Writing Prompt thread.

A solution for replacing the vacant seat in in the Senior Staff will be announced as soon as possible, and if Rutherford has been referenced as CDO In-Character post Day 09 somewhere, edits will have to be made to reflect the outcome when the chain-of-command has been sorted out.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #5160
Sucks to hear but I get it. It left a few of us in a weird position once his characters were KIA.

Hope @stardust comes back to us soon though.

Looking forward to the edits on Wiki, etc.

Thanks for the hard work and looking forward to who the next CDO is in story since they'll likely have to work with Intel.

Reply #5161

NO POSTING ON THE FORUM OR WIKI EDITS STARTING NOW

As mentioned in the last announcement, the site needs an update this weekend so any posting or edits may be lost. Save your replies offline for the time being.

Site available again as soon as another announcement is made!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #5162

POSTING AND WIKI EDITING MAY NOW RESUME!

There we go, Theurgists! Aside from some minor differences, you will generally find that the sim looks and behaves like it used to before Friday last week. What you all ought to find, however, is that both the forum and the wiki should be much snappier when it comes to response time.

While some colour edits to the wiki aren't done, and our sim's new landing page isn't operating yet, there is no further work needing to be done that may compromise the database and thus needing a reboot from Friday's backup. Thus, please resume your writing at your leisure with the following precaution and request:

• Save your written posts offline just to be on the safe side. Once the last tweaks to the wiki and the landing page are done, this will not be necessary unless you already did so normally. I cannot foresee any reason why the last edits may break the site, but better safe than sorry.

• With the PHP 8.0 upgrade, and the subsequent changes to the forum and the wiki, please keep your eyes peeled for bugs and odd behaviour so that I can take a look at it and either find a solution via Elkarte's staff or someone more knowledgeable than I when it comes to MediaWiki. So, if you find a bug or something odd, PM me here on the forum! If you can't conveniently upload screenshots somewhere and send hyperlinks for those, Discord DMs with screencaps are ok.

Hope you are all having a great weekend, everyone, and take care of yourselves!

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #5163
I feel like we're getting close to another newsletter soon. And where can I find that random encounters doc to attempt to use it in some way. Or at least peruse it. EDIT: Found in PM's but half the characters are KIA or MIA or NPC lol

Also would it be easier to use a Google Sheet? I can put one together if that is helpful. I have an idea to give it the Theurgy look and still allow text scanning. I have a hard time narrowing down information on the random encounters images as I can't search it and my eyes don't focus well.

Reply #5164
I think a wiki page would be a better alternative since then we keep it on the official site, but I love the idea! Of course I can make it into a wiki page instead of an image. It's just an edit to the excel sheet in order to give it wiki markup formatting, followed by pasting it into the wiki page. Good idea! :)

Reply #5165
Awesome, yeah the wiki idea never hit my radar lol. But then we can scan it more readily for use. I use screen text search often so it helps me find things on the site easier.

Hope it helps. Granted some of these are gone. But I have several if people want to do them. I have dates on the calendar free I believe for any of these interactions. Only two I cannot do is the crossed out ones due to the writer being gone.

Random Encounters:
L. Pierce vs Kythalie Benmual - Alien Joke - Spearhead Lounge
A. Pierce vs V-Nine - Holodeck Malfunction - Security Center
Amarik vs Chambers - Klingon Reference - Lower Shuttle bay
Tessa vs Henshaw - Pike reference - Recovery Ward
Kate vs Tessa - X is irrelevant - Hydroponics
Nicander vs A. Pierce - Laceration - Jeffries Tube
Marika va L. Pierce - Spock ref - Mess Hall
Chambers vs Amanda Ashby - PADD malfunction - Sickbay

But realistically any of these work if people want to do them. If not I'm good for the next round. Good either way on it.

Reply #5166

SIM CONTRIBUTION AWARDS!

Before Episode 02 starts up, I would like to take the opportunity to hand out the Sim Contribution Awards. These are handed out by the GM to members who have devoted a lot of time and energy into help building our community in some way. I have been waiting to find someone eligible for the Open Hand Award, but to the best of my knowledge, we don't have anyone that meet the criteria, so I will be saving that for some point in the future when a Theurgist does qualify for it.

Yet without further ado, here are the recipients of the other awards! :)

"Awarded to a writer in thanks for helping to keep the GM sane. The writer may have taken initiative to play an active role in a project or significant plot, been a helpful posting partner, given OOC administrative assistance, or simply was extra supportive, encouraging, or making the GM laugh."

DUMEDION, ELLEN FITZ, BIPSPOON & PIERCE!

This one is arguably the hardest one to give out, since the entire community is deserving of praise and gratitude. Giving it to everyone would devalue the award, however, so while I refuse to just give it to one Theurgist, I have to be conservative. After much thought, I had to go with four recipients of this award this time around. Their individual merits and contributions are disparate but all having made things easier for me somehow. From taking up vacant positions and loose-end-plotlines when needed, to facilitating story development for the path ahead, and making me laugh at in-character shenanigans and disasters, they have all helped in some way, and I want this award to to show how grateful I am for it. Thank you so much for making me smile and making the GM tasks that much easier to carry out.

"Awarded to a writer who has produced graphics for the sim in a consistent and exemplary manner, be it making character images for applicants or graphics for the site as a whole."

RAE & BIPSPOON!

While perhaps not made for Applicants, but for their own characters and affiliated family NPCs, these two writers have shown exceptional skill development in the crafting of character images. I have been thoroughly impressed with the character art shared by them on the Discord server, and it's especially inspiring to see when you know how much time and effort goes into photomanipulation. Thank you for sharing your passions with the community, and inspiring others to try it out as well. Given enough interest, perhaps we can arrange streaming sessions in which we can show the community how it is done. Keep it up!

"Awarded to an writer who goes through extreme, even insane measures to get an administrative project done for the sim, well beyond any kind of expectations from the GM."

TAE, GRIFF & STEGRO88!

Well, there were three gentlemen that lent time, thought and determination to see a big project through, and the result was our Theurgy-lore IRF Stalker-class warp fighter. Unless you have already seen it, here it is! We started with an idea, and a wish to create a Romulan fighter for the story, and we began with no more than conceptual drawings from an old PS1 game named Star Trek: Invasion. There were zero details to work with beyond those barebone drawings, the images grainy and with no rhyme or reason as to what kind of armament it had, much less how they would fit on the depicted fuselage. We had to brainstorm virtually everything about the fighter and settle on some kind of solution that would work alongside the craft we already had in the story. @Kalashnikov 3D worked with us to make the 3D model, and gradually, the Stalker became a reality. Weeks after we said the project was finished, updates were still made on the wiki page, which is a sign of true passion.

Gentlemen. Thank you, and I hope this award is a small token of appreciation for your time.

"Awarded to a writer for devoting extraordinary time and energy to create and maintain the Theurgy wiki database for the benefit of the sim and its writers. This medal recognizes these efforts and acknowledge the blood, sweat and tears they pour into facilitating the community and the rich Theurgy lore."

JREEVES1701!

Despite his RL commitments, jreeves1701 has devoted an extraordinary amount of time updating and adding to our wiki database. This, not just in the form of our upgraded Starchart, but copious amount of information that helped support the writing of Advent of War and the Battle of the Houses. We have placeholder NPC artwork for NPCs that don't have images, and all the Klingon Houses have been detailed. Since then, his ambitions for the wiki have never deteriorated, and he even overreached a bit to the point where I have to step in and stop him! lol

Truly, thank you jreeves for building upon our database, and while I sometimes have to step in and lower your ambitions to the scope of just our story and not the entirety of Star Trek lore, I truly do appreciate your efforts. I hope this award will serve as a token of that appreciation.

THE GM'S COMMENDATION GOES TO...

I believe we have one final Sim Contribution Award to hand out, and it was quite hard to pick one of you all. There were a few names that stood out in particular, but I decided to give it to someone who's contribution to the story itself stands out the most.

"Awarded by the GM in appreciation for any act or contribution to the sim which is especially supererogatory, rising above and beyond expectations."

GRIFF!

I wish to commend Griff in great gratitude for the inspiration he gave towards Episode 01: Advent of War and the overall story theme of Season 2. It was Griff who proposed, in the previous Story Workshop, that since the plan of the Infested to use the Borg Invasion had been thwarted by the Theurgy in the Azure Nebula, our story's antagonists would give dire retribution. That the Infested Praetor would bomb Paris, striking at the heart of the Federation, in trying to incite war. Not only did this inspire us and take us where we are today, Griff also gave the community a lot of his time to detail the events and the fallout of the Battle of the Apertures. There, newer writers can find an excellent synopsis of the season finale, Part 1 and 2 of Episode 05: Courage is Fear. It summarises the devastation of the Omega Device detonation in the Azure Nebula, and explains how the Theurgy used a subspace aperture to reach Aldea.

Beyond this, Griff has done his utmost to not just respect the old and rich Theurgy lore that we have established over the course of the past twelve years, he also build on it. This, in how he chose to create a character in Alistar Leavitt who didn't just further facilitate the role that the USS Relativity can play in our story, but also gave us a glimpse into what the future might be like if the Infested would win. In his Director's Cut story about Leavitt, and in his biography, he encapsulates the threat of our enemy, expanding upon our lore by taking us to a timeline we fight to undo.

Thank you, Griff, for the time, effort and inspiration.

Please congratulate these Theurgists on their achievements!  (L)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #5171
Congratulations, folks! 
Really enjoying writing a halfway stable character for once...

Reply #5172
Congratulations to all the winners!!
Ensign Mia Dunne   [Show/Hide]

Kelistina (Kel) Kavot Droga   [Show/Hide]

Reply #5174
Congratulations!

Simple Audio Video Embedder