Skip to main content
Topic: Main OOC Thread  (Read 365015 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Main OOC Thread

Reply #3026
SITE UPDATE WORK

I ran a test on the site, and the Wiki appears to be working fine now. I have detected a couple of problems still, with the help from Numen and Stegro. There is a session verification error, preventing login and logout of the forum, and I got a problem with updating pages on the forum, such as the Crew Manifest. This has been very educational, and progress has been made.

Wiki Database - Check!
Forum - Work Continuing

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3027
Family is in town for Thanksgiving so I'm going to be scarce till probably Sunday. I know I owe post's - if I can I will get to them.

Reply #3028
RESUME POSTING, FOR A NEW FORUM WILL BE BUILT

Well, after three days of work, a webmaster friend and I will be trying a different approach. The forum is restored, with only a few posts lost in the crossfire of updates and halted updates, and I will be PMing those posts I have available to those who need it, so that they can re-post them.

Instead of upgrading the current forum to a later iteration, since the upgrade tool is buggy and just won't cooperate, a completely new forum will be made for us, which should work with PHP 7.2.

So, the sequence would be:
1) New forum installation in a separate folder entirely (separate from this forum)
2) Adding the present forum's theme to the new forum
3) Adding the addon/packages to the new forum (and upgrading them if needed)
4) Patch existing database into the new forum

The new forum's settings will be generating data into a database, but that database will be scrapped and replaced with the one we are feeding posts into, now and onwards. So, resume posting, and a new forum will be made from the ground up in the meantime.

I will be sending PMs now, and if you have any questions, please go ahead and post them here so that everyone can draw benefit from the answers. :)

I am so, so sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and I have been doing my best, even having the Elkarte staff patched into this progress.

EDIT: If you have problems logging in/out, please try Incognito/Stealth Mode on your browser and let me know the result in Discord or at admin@uss-theurgy.com. This is a test phase.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3029
Should we post ahead with replies already or should we wait for the forum transfer? Or is there no risk in them being lost?
When would the transfer to a new forum happen?

Reply #3030
There will be no risk of post losses this time around since atm, we'll be working on a new forum, completely unaffiliated with this one. Then, we will make that forum read this database as-is. Think of it like... we're making the frame for the picture we're currently painting. We'll just switch the frames, instead of polishing our current frame (which we have been doing for the past 3 days or so without result). In the end, it's just a matter of changing the frame without editing the database.

The new frame should be in place before the end of the week depending on how it goes. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3035
AWESOME SITE UPDATE NEWS!

Hi there everyone! I have great news in how I finally managed to kill the bug that was causing the Session Verification errors when the site was running on PHP 7.2. Doing so, this old forum will still be usable after the 1st of December (since our provider is discontinuing our current PHP 5.6 setting then), and there is no urgent haste in transferring everything to a new forum. 

There were a few issues that occurred with PHP 7.2, like the Mentions feature not working and you can't type names in the To: field in Personal Messages to get a pop-up with the members. You can, instead, click "Send Personal Message" underneath their avatars. Moreover, PHP 7.2 prevented me from editing pages like the Crew Manifest and the Calculators. Nonetheless! Killing this Session Verification bug means that the site will not break and stop us from logging in and posting after the 1st of December. And! Until the 1st of December, I may even be able to fix the broken stuff with the mentions and the drop-down name menus, along with the editing feature of our site pages. If I do fix those errors, it would mean we don't even need a new forum.

Still, our current forum is a 1.0.9 version of Elkarte, and it is recommended to use the latest 1.1.5 version, so we may need that new forum eventually, but we don't have to move everything there by the 1st of December. Better yet, we will be able to keep posting as we've been doing before, only without the Mentions function (for the time being).

I will keep you guys posted if I do manage to fix those errors too, along with status updates on a potential new forum.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3036
HEATHER MCMILLAN IS ABOUT TO BE RESURRECTED IN CHAPTER 04: TRUE NATURE!

This is hardly a surprise to those that are reading Chapter 04: True Nature, but with some Savi science and in inspiration from the Voyager epsode Jetrel, Heather is about to be resurrected from her disintegrated state. When she re-materialises, she will not be quite the same, her DNA having to be patched to a small degree with a Xenexian genome.

PWO Heather McMillan          Science Officer (Biology)

- Writer:
Triage

With bright purple eyes and a new face, it remains to be seen what this will entail for her Radiant abilities. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3037
BUTTERFLY EFFECT: ELISKA BREMMER AND THE LATE LAUREL OKHALA

While the wiki database seem to have some connectivity problems atm, I still managed to complete this change of faces. Since the character Laurel Okhala didn't get any takers after her original writer left, she was killed of recently on the Versant. However, there was interest from CV to change facelcaim for his character Eliska Bremmer, really liking Alicia Vikander to play the part of his security officer, a Butterfly Effect has occured, where Eliska and Laurel have both changed appearances. Here they are!

PO2 Eliska Bremmer            Security Officer (V02)

- Writer:
CanadianVet

† Ens. Laurel Okhala            Former CONN Officer (SAVI)

- Former Writer:
YasyraTrill

Please bear in mind that the only reason I do something like this is because the edit was so slight, and the latter character is dead and won't reappear in the story. I will not be changing faces for everyone's characters on a whim. ;)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3038
FORUM NOW RUNNING ON PHP 7.2

Hi again! So, it's the 3rd of December (Swedish time) and the site has switched to PHP 7.2. Luckily, I have squashed the bugs that prevented us from using the forum already, so until the new forum is finished, we can continue to write here. :)

Known issues:

This means, however, that I will not be able to update the Crew Manifest or the Non-Crew Listing pages any more, and the Mentions function won't be working without using Quote. Moreover, writing a new PM on the forum will have to be done by clicking "Send Message" underneath the Theurgist's avatar, since the drop down list of name suggestions in the "To:" field won't be working. These are small bugs that I have yet to find and squash, and my primary focus will be to finish the new forum so that we have a long term solution instead of patching the old forum. I might be able to find the last bugs on this old forum, but if I do, I will let you know.

EDIT: Mentions and Personal Messages work again, the dropdown lists with names now appearing again when you start to type names. :) I found and squashed the bug. Now, I just need to figure out the problem with updating pages on the forum (the wiki pages are unaffected, so it's just the Crew Manifest, Non-Crew Listing and the calculators that aren't letting me update them).

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3039
Hello crew of the combined Stallion and Sword vectors!  Just wanted to let everyone know I added the current bridge staff list to the end of my latest post so give it a look.  Also note that I changed it to the Vector 3 bridge since it wasn't damaged thanks to Klingons.

Reply #3040
EDITING OF CREW MANIFEST PAGES ENABLED!

I have managed to reinstall an addon named Simple Portal and restored ability to edit the crew manifest pages. I still have some layout work to do on the main Community portal page, with white lines and an error message appearing, but the bug is removed.

However, in removing the bug, the functionality of our Stardate and Warp Factor Calculators are not compatible with PHP 7.2. I wil simply have to make them work using another solution. Won't be today though.

Have a great day!

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3041
PLEASE WELCOME COSMOS AS OUR NEWEST THEURGIST, WHO WILL PLAY LIEUTENANT VANYA!

Indeed, we have a new member, @Cosmos , and they will be taking over writing the Cayuga's Chief Science Officer, Lieutenant Vanya! (Unfortunately, as you all know, Vanya will loose her position as she ends up on the Theurgy in Reunion.)

Lt. Vanya                       Chief Science Officer

- Writer:
Cosmos

For the past day, Cosmos has been reading up on all of Vanya's old threads, old and present, getting well acquainted with her story so far. Moreover, they have added and changed a bit in Vanya's character page in accordance with their own preferences, making Vanya their own. In their words, "I hope to take the character in a few new ways, while preserving what has come before. Putting my 'spin' on the concept with out destroying the past."

Currently, Vanya is on Vector 03, so Cosmos will be posting with her in Reunion. Moreover, they might take up any old or new Supplemental threads where Vanya has been/will be present.

Welcome to Theurgy, @Cosmos ! :) Hope you'll have a great time in our community, and don't forget to swing by on Discord if you like to. The server can be found in the top menu now that you are no longer an Applicant.

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3042
Welcome, Cosmos! Refreshments in the corner.

Good to have you.
Nator 159: "I accept no responsibility for the ensign's manifest stupidity. Sir." [Show/Hide]
Ranaan Ducote: "A ship is a home; its crew a family." [Show/Hide]
T'Less: "Your odds of prevailing against us are... slim." [Show/Hide]
Valkra: "Come! We will shake the gates of Sto'Vo'Kor!" [Show/Hide]

Reply #3043
Welcome to the Theurgy @Cosmos! Look forward to writing with you!
Elro Kobol  - Chief Medical Officer - USS Theurgy - [Show/Hide]

Otheusz - Grey Scars Pirate - USS Theurgy - [Show/Hide]

Y'Lev - Syndicate Dominus - USS Theurgy - [Show/Hide]

Reply #3045
Welcome aboard, Cosmos! Hope you have a great time here and enjoy every single moment of your life! (L)

Reply #3047
GENERAL POSTING REMINDER VECTORS 1 2 & 3: KNIFE'S EDGE

Okay guys, @chXinya has posted, so now it is time to haul ass and finish this chapter. 7 days of posting has begun for all involved characters in all three Vectors, especially those with characters on the two Bridges!

Chapter 03: Knife's Edge [ Day 06 | 0840 hrs. ] (link to chXinya's post)

Please make sure you all post as soon as you can. If you want to participate in the scene where the Theurgy merges into one ship again, and flees from right underneath Admiral Sankolov's nose, now is the time.

It is all really free-form too. It's been 1 hour since the Cayuga and the two merged V2 and 3 vectors parted way. I don't think you actually need much direction here. Subdue the last boarders, fire up the crazy warp solution on Vector 01 with the help from the warp cores on Vectors 02 and 03, and blast off. This can be done meanwhile Tactical CONN are in their fighters in the Fighter Bay, ready to launch as needed. There are Bellerophon crew being rescued via Transporters on both Vectors 01 and the merged 02 and 03. This means Security has plenty to do in order to keep the saved officers in line, not to mention medical officers.

I hope you all can squeeze out posts soon enough, because otherwise we end up in a waiting game and I have to accelerate the plot without much more input. Have fun and don't wait for others. Just barge on ahead and if there are discrepancies, I'll handle it. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3048
Thank you all for the welcome.
I've spent a good deal of time reading through some of your former threads and have just been floored by the quality and ability of the writers here. I hope to live up to your standards and contribute to this wonderful story that you have built together.  I look forward to interacting with you all with the rather interesting character that I've been so graciously allowed to take over, as well as unique characters in the future.

Please bare with me as I struggle to hit the ground running and try and catch up with you all. Your work here is nothing short of amazing and it's a bit humbling to join such a group of writers. Hopefully I'll fit in with out too many grievous wounds.
Lieutenant Vanya - Science Officer - Zoology/XenoZoology
[Show/Hide]

Lieutenant Junior Grade Zark – Security Officer – Combat Medic
[Show/Hide]

Simple Audio Video Embedder