Skip to main content
Topic: Main OOC Thread  (Read 414071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Main OOC Thread

Reply #1500
a lot of the early episodes of Voyager season 1, talk about the we and them mentality aboard a starship. From Paris saying that ensigns don't sit with higher up, to Janeway talking about the air of mystery around captains, and how there is supposed to be a wall between them and the rest of the crew.

You can also see it a little in TNG where the bridge crew play cards, but the captain, and the lower ranks of the bridge crew do not attend.

I think that there is some separation of ranks, but it's more unwritten social rules than actual military protocol.

Reply #1501
Truth be told, it isn't so much an "us and them" sort of mentality as much as the ability to socialize with your peers without having to worry about looking foolish on either side of the chain of command. 

And I would like to offer a compromise.  Yes, there would be lounges for officers, senior NCO's/Warrants and enlisted, but how about an all-ranks facility as well, maybe one put together in an unused cargo bay as an impromptu addition to help with overall crew cohesion?  So people have the option to stay with people within their rank bracket, or not as the urge takes them?  And who's to say there can't be invitations extended to the other lounges? 

When I was on ship, inviting an officer (aside from the Chaplain, he was a special case and he could go wherever he wanted) or a petty officer into the Main Cave (main cafeteria, which doubled as the junior ranks' "club" needed a unanimous decision from everyone in there.  Perhaps a more relaxed policy could exist on Theurgy, whereas you could invite someone in, but you would be responsible for them in the meantime?  And it doesn't preclude standing invitations being extended either. 

Now, the Captain kinda has to stand aside.  Even with the more enlightened view of things, the Captain can't afford to be seen getting tanked in the lounge with the rest of the officers, or to be shooting pool with the Chiefs or darts with the enlisted.  The Captain is the only master on board after one's deity of choice.  Which is a reason why only a handful of people get to really know what's going on in the Captain's head.  Kirk had Spock, sort of.  Picard had Riker, Troi and Crusher (but she was a very old friend, mind you); Sisko really only had Dax but that's because they've known each other in some iteration for years, and Janeway had Chakotay and even he was kind of at arms' length.  And right now, Ives has Cameron and Trent, because one is outside the chain of command proper and the other is the XO and they really have to be on the same page. 

Perhaps an alternative for the Captain's social needs could be regular dinners?  I mean, who is to say the Captain couldn't have a private dining room available, or quarters big enough to entertain on invitation?

Reply #1502
Sorry for the latency, this has been one of those weeks where I'm either getting shat on by customers or driven up the wall by my landlady. I'm housesitting for my mother later this week and should get some peace and quiet, so that should give me an opportunity to post and add something for Kanti to the Inner Space thread.

Reply #1503
Hey, it's all good :)

And what would you say at some point Kanti getting chewed out by Sten for not properly following her pre- and post-flight procedures? ;)

Reply #1504
Sure thing, I'm always up for making my characters miserable in some new and exciting way.

Reply #1506
Good call on a lounge for everyone, CV, and good points on the atmosphere, Havenborn. I did not even remember those things from VOY and TNG.

Then, Below Decks will be the place for everyone (since every kind of crew member has already gone there in the story). The Spearhead Lounge with its observation view in front of Thea would serve for diplomats, higher ranking officers etc., being the "fancy" place to go to with its view. Below Decks still has wall-monitors to show the exterior view of the ship, and I think they were actually repaired after the mutiny. I do remember they were broken through most of the story. As for Ives inviting people to dinner, we'll see, but I love the idea. :) Perhaps something for Day 06. One last supper before the arrival to Starbase 84? heh heh

LCARSgfx will get back to me regarding other available lounges as soon as he can. He is working on the colours of the MSD right now.

THE STAR TREK: THEURGY WIKI PROJECT

Gradually, our wiki is being filled up with the info on our child-boards, and in due time, we have enough to replace many of the threads we have here. The old threads and posts will be archived here on HoE, and I will post with links to substitute the info threads. The links will lead to different parts of the wiki. Our crew manifest and the storyline characters roster will lead to the character pages instead of the posted character sheets, but I do not mean to archive the old character sheets. As far as I am concerned, they can remain where they are.

I am asking everyone who can to please help out migrating the info to the wiki, since it is quite time-consuming, but well spent effort to organise all the stuff we have accumulated over the past 5 years.

Here is a link to the Wiki which you all can browse: https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Main_Page

Might be hard to find them, but here are samples of some of the pages available right now:

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=U.S.S._Theurgy_NX-79854

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Security

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Captain_Jien_Ives

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=ThanIda_zh%27Wann

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Kanti_MacTavish,_call-sign_%22Gun-Shy%22

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Tessa_May_Lance,_call-sign_%22Goldeneye%22

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Melissa_Wright

https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Andorians

Notice in particular how Arista has spent a lot of time posting the information in our Species Specifications thread. He had added all the listed species, including the extensive info about the Vulpinians. (IronFerrox, you might want to give some cudos to Arista for that, lol)

Notice also how Doc M. has taken it upon himself to add our many NPCs to the wiki, and that the first page for those in Engineering has been posted: https://uss-theurgy.com/mediawiki-1.26.2/index.php?title=Engineering_NPCs

More info will be added over time, but I ask that as many as possible chip in so that we can get this done in a reasonable amount of time. If you don't have a user account for the Wiki already, just let me know and I will create one.

That's all for now. I will be posting in Tensions Rising on several fronts next.

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #1507
Thanks AL.  If any of you out there have made up NPC's with names contact me and tell me about them.  Include the names of the threads they appeared in or where they were referred to and I'll put them on the Wiki. 

Reply #1508
RE: Lounges

CanadianVet hits it on the head pretty well. When I worked in banking, there was a certain discomfort going to social events put on by senior brass at the company. Regardless of how professional you were on the job, you didn't want to let the bosses see your personal life as much. And you never knew who was listening if you got to bitching about higher ups. So you ended up on your best behavior instead of relaxing as you might have if you just went out with your co-workers at the branch level.

Same thing I noticed talking with Vets of the various branches of the Canadian Military. You couldn't be as free to relax, shoot the shit, and bitch about your bosses (or subs if you were high enough in the CoC) if you were in a setting where they were present.

RE: MSD / Graphix

Loving what's coming out of the artists. I'm no gfx guy so I'll just enjoy the shiny. :)

RE: Wiki

Liking what I'm seeing so far. Would love to get an account as I have some things I'd love to contribute as I'm familiar with wiki coding. :) Sent you a PM a while back Auctor with some ideas.

Reply #1509
hey guys I will post for everything when i get back from work today.

Reply #1510
Catching up on a few posts today. The work week's been pretty hectic lately. My company has picked up a few high profile projects and so unfortunately between that and outside commitments I'm not getting to my posts much until the weekends (when I'm not working those).

Still gonna plow through. If i'm leaving someone hanging, reach out to me in a PM and on any given night I'll try to get something out, but otherwise, expect me to be replying on the weekends.

Reply #1511
LCARSgfx finished our MSD!

Enjoy, and you'll notice that there are some new lounges based on suggestions. LCARSgfx will be making another black and white image so that you guys can browse the finer details not visible in this resolution. Lots of edits and tweaks, but its a relief that it is done so that we can make a deck layout table (finally). That will be the next step, and shouldn't take too long now.

Posts are upcoming from my end, and I hope this announcement finds you all well.

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #1512
~whistles~

She really is a beautiful ship.

Hey everyone big update for me and my activity.

I'm going on vacation for a week. Leaving my laptop and my work behind as I go out of town for a while. Come wensday I will be meeting up with my GF and getting away from the world as we know it.

I'm going to make sure I make my posts before I leave, but as of right now the hard cut off is Tuesday the 10th night time for my activity on this site, and I will be back some time around the 18th.

Reply #1513
Hey sorry i havent posted here in a while.  Been keeping my posts on the site to only RP threads due to lots of life stuff recently.  Amazing looking stuff on both the MSD and the Valk 2 fighter stuff.

Also Arista, Holy crap! I love how you did the vulpinian page!  Absolutely amazing transfer from my original page offsite into the wiki format.  I doubt I could have done half as good.

Reply #1514
Just to let you guys know that I'm going to head across the country and see some old friends.

I should have access to the internet but I may not be able to write any posts until Thursday the 19th. Feel free to drop me messages and things as normal :)

Hope you all have an amazing weekend!

Reply #1515
Guess who has a broken hand, ME! Writing takes forever these days so I'm gonna be AFK for a bit. Sorry.

Reply #1517
I just got home from the Ottawa Comicon, and after sitting in on Ming Na Wen's Q&A panel, I might have a hard time seeing her as the ever-stern Jien Ives.  That woman has a wicked sense of humour.

Reply #1518
Ming Na's a goofball in real life. But she often plays all the super-serious characters in films. Just look at Melinda May of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I just imagine Jien Ives to be like Melinda May while reading. Because if I picture her as Ming Na...yup, I keep expecting her to be jolly, laughing and friendly.

Reply #1519
Thanks again for all the updates everyone!

As for Ming Na as FemIves, yeah, Melinda May is there in my imagination as well. I am really excited about MaleIves joining SHIELDS too, Mark Dacascos going from Wo Fat to that new guy Mr. Giyera. I have been a fanboy of Dacasos' since I was in my early teens, and I am so glad his career has had an upswing of late. He has played in some awesome action movies, which might not be Oscars material, but damn fun nonetheless. His most prominent roles, for me, would be when he played in Crying Freeman, Only the Strong, Sabotage, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Cradle 2 the Grave, Alien Agent and in Hawaii 5-0. Some of those titles might not be that noteworthy to some, but having dabbled with martial arts, I looked up to Dacascos skills as much as I used to look up to Jean-Claude van Damme.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #1520
I liked Dacasos in the Crow TV series.  I loved the movies and though the series wasn't as strong, he brought good martial arts to it, even if it was more 90's tv martial arts, which was far less skillful than what he was truly capable of.

Reply #1521
Hai Guys!!

I know I've been pretty quiet the past few weeks (barely hitting my posting requirements to my shame) thanks to the insanity I call a job (project schedule management is so shoddy that it's a miracle anything gets done, and that my blood pressure has survived the insane deadlines), but things are finally calming down (*braces for inevitable scheduling train wreck*).

On a good note though, I just got back from STARFLEET International's (all caps is accurate, don't ask why, just something in the manual) Region 1 Summit.  Had a blast, got to hang out with a bunch of really old Trekkies (average age was at least in the upper 40s, could easily have been in the 50s).  When I find a spot to upload the pics I'll share them if you want.  ;)

I'm trying to get up to a faster pace and get posting at least twice a week if not more, we'll see how that works.  Hope everyone's having fun regardless!

Reply #1522
Howdy fellows!

Just reporting in. Some of you have been waiting for replies for quite a while now, so I'm sorry for the delays. I have exams and final papers that are due this week and spread over the next month. It has slowed me down quite ab it but I'm slowly getting to posting once more. So I hope that I have replies out for everyone by the end of the week!

Reply #1523
My body has more or less re adjusted from all the travel, and I'm over the hill as far as vacation sickness goes. I return to work tomorrow which also means my posts are coming for those of you who have been waiting.

Reply #1524
I'm going to be posting soon guys! I had a bit of a party this weekend for my mother in law's birthday, and this is the last week of school for my kids, so things have been a bit hectic and crazy on my end. xD

~Vys
"You wish to knock over cows? What is the significance of this? Do you derive pleasure from such things?" - Ensign Six

Simple Audio Video Embedder