Skip to main content
Topic: Day 14 [1500 hrs.] An Old Dog with New Tricks (Read 1831 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 14 [1500 hrs.] An Old Dog with New Tricks

[ Ensign Isel Nix | Chief Intelligence Officer’s Office | Central Intelligence Suite | Deck 05 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Pierce

Not for the first time, Ensign Isel Nix questioned if she was making the right decision. The question had been nagging at her for the entire day since she had arranged to meet with the ship’s Chief Intelligence Officer, and the feeling only seemed to intensify as she neared Lieutenant Commander Pierce’s office.

As she rounded the bend in the corridor and approached the doors to the Theurgy’s Central Intelligence Suite, the Vulpinian ran a hand through her pale white hair, brushing it out of her face as she forced her hesitations aside and strode purposefully up to the doors. She was in her Vulcine form for the meeting, appearing mostly Human aside from the pointed, almost Vulcan-like ears and a bushy white tail which was difficult to miss. She hoped it didn’t shed too much on the Intelligence Chief’s carpets. That would hardly make for a great first impression.

Isel tugged at her white-shouldered Tac CONN tunic and silently reminded herself to behave as she entered the Intelligence Suite and made her way to the doors to the Chief Intelligence Officer’s office, wanting to convey a good first impression to the woman she hoped might become her new department head.

If everything goes well… Isel reminded herself as she punched a finger into the door chime and waited for permission to enter.

”Good afternoon, Ma’am.” Isel said by way of greeting, folding her hands behind her back as her mismatched eyes quickly scanned the officer before meeting the green-eyed gaze of the fiery haired Chief Intelligence officer. ”I’m Ensign Isel Nix. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me.” Unsure of what she ought to do, Isel remained standing as she was until the senior officer directed her otherwise. ”As I said in my request to meet with you, I believe I have certain skills and knowledge which might be of some use to you and your department, given the Theurgy’s current situation.”

You know, piracy, Orion Syndicate cache locations, that sort of thing… Isel added mentally, still not quite sure how this particular revelation would be received.

”I guess you could say I’m sort of looking for a new home, too, since I’m off the Wolve’s flight roster due to injury.” Isel blinked, and belatedly added, ”Err… Ma’am.”

Re: Day 14 [1500 hrs.] An Old Dog with New Tricks

Reply #1
[ Lt. Commander Alana Pierce | Chief Intelligence Officer’s Office | Central Intelligence Suite | Deck 05 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Fife [Show/Hide]

After several eventful moments during the past week since her promotion and likely more to follow, Alana was seated at her desk in the C.I.S. Chief Intelligence office. Her mind racing as she contemplated the webs that were sewn by Fisher and by the Infested and Starfleet Intelligence. All of it made her head spin as she pondered the endgame of it all. But one thing they were sorely lacking with Fisher's demise was contacts. With her recent promotion and lack of modern day help, she was relying on various individuals rather heavily for help and for teamwork in getting the jobs done. The most glaring issues with being outlaws was the lack of resources. Something they'd no doubt need more of once they left Klingon space and other known allies.

Staring at her computer terminal, she rubbed the tiredness from her green eyes, pulled the red hair back and leaned back in her chair, drinking a swig of her cola in the tumbler on her desk. Pierce was now more or less awaiting the arrival of a Ensign Isel Nix. A Vulpinian as she had read in the woman's file. A damn good pilot too on the Wolves. Thankfully, this meeting was with her and not with Tessa Lance. The one she had to rescue after the Daq'chov incident where she arrived.

The chime came and Pierce tapped the console. "Come."

As Alana placed her mug down on the table, the doors opened and in came the white haired individual with the dual blue/green eyes and a big bushy tail. Pierce wondered how difficult life was with a tail but realized that her own predicament wasn't that much different in adapting to a different sort of physical attributes.

The immediate and polite nature of the woman was as expected but Pierce also didn't want to convey a stiff necked leadership style either. She nodded and listened to the Vulpinian woman speak before conveying her own thoughts. Alana stood up and looked the woman in the eye as she spoke. "Pleasure Ensign. Please have a seat."

Pierce wondered what the woman's own history would convey and how she could be of help. Little tid-bits were in her file and she had mentioned some lightly in the request but she wanted to hear more from Isel's own mouth. "So, you're kinda done with the Wolves? Well, before I accept the transfer, could you elaborate on what special skills and or knowledge you might have." She could see apprehension on the woman's face.

"This is off the record in this office. I am merely gauging what you bring to the table here. That and getting to know you some if we're to be working with one another." She grabbed another sip before continuing. "I plan to be as open with you as you are with me. I want trust and honesty between us. If I cannot trust you, I can't use you. So with that out of the way, as you know I am Lt. Commander Alana Pierce. I am fairly new to the ship as most seem to be these days. But what I can say, is that we're in dire need of supplies, supply routes and information hubs that are...outside standard Federation channels if you get my drift."

Alana leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs as she eyed the young looking woman, as she clasped her fingers together on the desk waiting intently.

Reply #2
[ Ensign Isel Nix | Chief Intelligence Officer’s Office | Central Intelligence Suite | Deck 05 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Pierce

Isel sat as the Intelligence Chief invited her to do so, taking a discreet deep breath to calm herself as Commander Pierce inquired about her being done with the Lone Wolves. Pierce continued, asking for honesty and trust between them if she was going to accept Isel’s transfer request, as well as expressing some of the things that the Theurgy was in dire need of.

Honesty is a new one for me. Here goes…

”Funny you should mention that, Ma’am,” Isel said with a lop sided grin which exposed sharp canine teeth, once again showing a hint of less-than-human anatomy, ”because I think I might be able to help you with those issues.”

Isel took a deep breath and, deciding to trust in the Intelligence officer as the woman had asked, began.

”Before Starfleet I was a member of the Orion Syndicate. I’d turned informant for Starfleet Intelligence for years before finally defecting and entering witness protection in exchange for the information I’d passed along over the years.” A brief version, but accurate nonetheless. ”Lieutenant Donna Peterson can verify this to some degree, and if you need further verification you can reach out to Admiral Andersson. He gave Donna the information needed to blackmail me into defecting to our little party ship here.” Isel caught herself, realizing she was perhaps being too casual before adding a hasty ”Ma’am.”

”I spent nearly 30 years with the Syndicate, and was a fairly high level enforcer and right hand to our cell’s leader. I’m afraid she won’t be any help to us though. I… may have stolen a few of her slaves when I defected… and blown up a good portion of her headquarters…” The term water under the bridge had never held much meaning for Analla. ”I was a slave myself, purchased by her as a child, and I didn’t want any other kids growing up like I did. So I… liberated three children when I left, and funded an orphanage on Earth once I was done with Starfleet Intelligence’s debriefs. The kids were still there, last I head.” Isel shifted in her seat. ”I only mention that part so that you don’t think I sold them or something, Ma’am.”

”My old boss aside, I could likely still put us in touch with other Syndicate resources. I know they might not be the most savory of characters, but we’re currently labelled as criminals by the Federation as well, so I don’t see how we can turn down the opportunity of supplies, wherever they might come from.”

”Aside from Syndicate contacts, I’m also fluent in Romulan. Given the current situation we find ourselves in, that too might be an asset.”

Isel found herself thirsty as she finished her brief narrative, and unsure of what else to say unless Commander Pierce had any questions for her. As such, Isel found herself shrugging as she met the other woman’s gaze. ”I can also shift into something similar to an Earth wolf. I hear Humans pet those Earth dogs for stress relief sometimes… I’d be great for moral!” Isel shrugged again and let out a weak laugh, knowing how lame the attempted joke was.

By Isel’s usual standards, she’d behaved herself admirably. She hadn’t even sworn once. That alone would likely have earned a raise eyebrow from her old Commander. And an incredulous look. Or maybe a suspicious one. But best not to mention that in what basically equated to a job interview. Not yet, at least…

Reply #3
[ Lt. Commander Alana Pierce | Chief Intelligence Officer’s Office | Central Intelligence Suite | Deck 05 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Fife
[Show/Hide]

Pierce, still seated was trying not to visibly grimace at the sound of ma'am directed at her. She knew that it was a formality but it still somehow didn't sit right with her with her given situation. But she wasn't here to focus on that as she looked at Isel and listened to the woman's explanation of her past. Which was slightly surprising despite the background look that Pierce took on her. It was unfortunate that she was captured by the Orions and in the slave trade. Something she couldn't imagine.

When Isel mentioned being able to help Theurgy with supplies and the connections needed, she perked up however. It was a welcome need and channel that they presently lacked. "Interesting..." Pierce said intently.

"I'm sorry for your having to go through all that. But I'd be lying if I wasn't pleased with the fact you've worked with Starfleet Intelligence in the past. And I don't think I'll need to verify anything with Lt. Peterson. I have read your file, and done a background check. But I wanted to see and hear if you'd share openly the information. While a report only tells so much, I prefer to hear it from the individual and see the value of the person." She smiled as she looked on at her.

Placing her mug down on the desk after taking a quick sip of her drink, she continued. "Also, you don't have to call me ma'am. You can call me Commander, or Pierce or Alana when off duty." She smiled again in hopes to further put Isel at ease while they were in their meeting.

"While I am not fond of the syndicate, beggers can't be choosers when it comes to a ship on the run. We need supplies and sometimes they get their hands on some rather interesting contents. I'll be sure to have you in contact with Operations, Engineering and other departments..."

Pierce leaned forward when she said she was fluent in Romulan. "Romulan? Interesting. We have several in this department that can speak it but they are actually Romulan. I am fluent in Klingon but not fluent in Romulan, although I'd like to change that in the future with current events ongoing. But I digress." She was about to speak once more when it was brought to her attention that Isel could turn into a Earth wolf. To which she chuckled and laughed. "Sorry, that was great. No disrespect about your species but the moral relief was a great line."

Giving one more eye at Isel Nix, she smiled again and tapped a few controls on the console. "Well Ensign, consider your transfer approved. I look forward to working with you in the coming mission and learning more about you. If you need anything, be sure to let me know."

She let it sink in and watched the woman before her. "Truly your transfer request couldn't have come at a better time with my still getting my team put together. I think we'll have a rather solid foundation in the events to come."

Taking a sip again of her drink. "Now Ensign, is there anything you wish to ask or know about me or regarding this department?"

Reply #4

Isel found herself surprised as Pierce expressed her pleasure that Isel had worked with Starfleet Intelligence in the past. Sure, such experience in interacting with the department might prove an asset, though the particular manner in which she’d interacted with them in the past had been less than legal. Though, giving it a moment’s thought, she suspected that even Starfleet’s Intelligence Department operatives would likely have to blend in with people on the less-legal side of the law in the course of their duties.

As Pierce informed Isel that she needn’t be so ridged, and that simply calling to woman Commander while on duty was sufficient, Isel nodded in acknowledgement and murmured a ”Yes, Commmander”. The Vulpinian still felt nervous, likely due to the memory of the lengthy and intense debriefings she’d undergone when she finally defected from the Syndicate and gone into hiding with the help of Starfleet. They had been nothing if not thorough. She’d have to get used to it, though, as Pierce was now approving her transfer to her new department.

”Thank you, Commander. This will take some getting used to, but I’ll do my best.” Isel said with a grateful smile, ”I look forward to serving under you. I’m sure the FAB crews will be grateful as well. I’m afraid I’ve left more than one mess in the assault bay.” Isel chuckled, then considered Pierce’s question. ”No questions that I can think of off the top of my head. I look forward to meeting the rest of the team.”

Isel hesitated, then cocked her head to the side. ”Actually, I do have one question. I’m just curious, how big is the team? What sort of other… specialties… do we have?”

OOC: I’m so sorry for the long delay! I’m afraid work and the holidays have had me bogged down.

Reply #5
[ Lt. Commander Alana Pierce | Chief Intelligence Officer’s Office | Central Intelligence Suite | Deck 05 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Fife [Show/Hide]

Sensing that the Vulpinian was surprised at her own pleasure in the situation unfolding Pierce smiled at her to put her at ease. This department wasn't one of safety but then again, she already knew that from her checkered past and time with Starfleet Intelligence. Then again, she was also a Lone Wolf which she knew was also one of those hazardous situations one finds themselves in. Only in this instance, there wasn't always a metal can covering one's hide.

She could still feel that the Ensign was nervous despite the likely age gap of the other woman before her. Nevertheless, she wanted the woman comfortable with her. "I'm sure you will Ensign. And no need to be nervous. Although I am your superior, I want everyone in my department to know I am accessible at all times. And I'm sure the assault bay will be glad to have you enter another department." She grinned and winked at her as she joked.

Alana was about to stand up when Isel mentioned how big the team was presently and other specialities. "Well, I am a causulty of time travel and have much in the way of espionage, data theft, and undercover specializations, as well as a fluent speaker of Klingonese."

Isel's mention of the rest of the team caused her to think momentarily. "As am I. I'm still getting acclimated after Fisher's untimely fate. So setting up the department how I think it will function better. My assistant chief's are Lt. Amarik who is a Romulan former Tal Shiar agent, and Lt. Byrne who is an undercover operative with more time in the field than even me. But we'll have a formal meeting in the days to come I'm sure with some of them."

Pierce pulled up a PADD and loaded it with the current listing of agents, analysts and then expanded on those not listed in this roster.
"So our agents, analysts, and decription agents are totalling about 11. You can find more about them here." She tapped a few other controls.

"If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. I have an open door policy unless dealing with a dire situation."

Pierce stood up and reached to shake hands with Isel across the table. "If there is anything else I can do, please let me know."

She watched as the former fighter nodded and left accepting her new post. Pierce submitted the papers and it was done.

-FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder