Skip to main content
Topic: Chapter 01: Tensions Rising (Read 30025 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chapter 01: Tensions Rising

Reply #200
[Ensign Six and Ensign A’vura Zeshryr | Briefing Room | Resolve] Attn:  Everyone in the briefing room!

Six glanced at the chan, analyzing him for a split second before nodding her head and responding in kind. “The explosion that killed the Romulan in question happened due to a local transmission. I’m fairly certain that it not only came from within the sector but from inside the base. My superior officer ordered my findings sent straight to her within Captain Hawthorne’s quarters without requests for backups being sent directly to the rest of top security officers. When a Captain or higher is in question it is standard protocol to present those findings to someone other than a Captain or higher, or at least with a party of legislatures and witnesses to ensure that the truth is managed. She did none of these things, and then within moments of leaving and returning to my station at security headquarters, it was attempted to…” she paused a moment with what could appear to be a smidgen of disdain, “ apprehend me. Things did not go well. My phaser beam and the energy of a plasma torch mingled and the resulting blast killed one of the men sent to disarm me, seemingly at any cost. I’ve more to gain at this point trusting your crew than to be lost going back from where I came. “

As Six continued on with her findings of the Starfleet issued materials the detonation device used and the precise type of device that was utilized to make said explosive that had lay hidden within the dead Romulan, A’vura turned to Parnak as he came for a sample of her hair. She did as he asked her, producing several strands, hopefully in the way that he needed from her, carefully.

She did not, however follow the man as he eventually left the briefing room. Instead she turned back to Kendrick and the Borg woman and shook her head a bit. It was unnerving to listen to the man that had attacked her once again. Her cheeks burned and her eyes narrowed at the PADD with a flash of anger and hatred for the man that had left her in such a dire state. Clearing her throat though she pressed past that thought, her voice rasping a moment when she first tried to speak before clearing her throat and trying again. “His voice is so distorted. It’s hard to tell if that is even a male, though by the sounds of it it likely is. Is there any way to clear up the transmission so the voice is more recognizable?”

Six turned to the PADD and used it to try and reconfigure the transmission to play in clearer than before, attempting to remove the distortion that the speaker's communication device was causing. When she finished, she played the transmission a second time now that clearance had been granted, and frowned, deeply. “I know that voice. It’s… familiar to me. I’ve heard it before. Many times. I.. I can’t quite place where though. It’s still too distorted. I’m not sure if I can clear it up anymore without damaging the transmission’s credibility. Captain do you have any ideas?”

At that point, the sliding doors opened and admitted the Captain's Yeoman again, voice shaken "Captain, there was a hail from the base. I am patching it through here." At the word from the Captain, and with a couple of taps on the PADD held in the Yeoman's hand...

...the voice of Starbase 84's Chief of Security was heard in the briefing room, making her demands.
"You wish to knock over cows? What is the significance of this? Do you derive pleasure from such things?" - Ensign Six

Reply #201
[ Krystal “Meony” Tancredi | Fighter Assault Bay | USS Resolve ] Attn: LT Havenborn, CPO Erik Randall, Liam Herrold, K'Ren & F'Rell

[Show/Hide]

Everyone was frantic, everyone was running around, doing things real fast. That was how someone was going to slip up...if they were of any other Federation crew outside of the Resolve. But for the last few years, the crew of the Luna-class starship had been pressed into moving at high speed with maximum efficiency. While she waited for the rest of Tribble Squadron to form up, Tancredi busied herself with helping to clear the deck, but it turned out in the end that she would be busy elsewhere, as she saw Randall approaching her. She nodded at his instructions and passed on her present work to the nearest personnel. When he turned his back to her, she quickly went up to him.

“Hey,” said Tancredi, and then she gave him a very quick sideways hug, letting go before he even knew what had happened, “stay alive.”

Her tone indicated she meant it. It was one of the few times that her voice lost its edgy, aggressive aspect, and became low, feminine. She relished battle, but she also hated the losses that often came with it. The loss of lives. The loss of family. Who would it be this time? K'Ren? F'Rell? Herrold? She would thank God very audibly if nobody died, but she wasn't one given to reckless optimism. Heading away from the chaos of the Fighter Assault Bay, Tancredi tapped her badge and with the computer's help, had a direct line to Havenborn in short order. “Reporting fer duty, suh! Whaddaya need from me?”

Reply #202
[LT Keval ch'Rayya/ Chief Tac/Sec/ USS Resolve Briefing Room] ATTN: Kendrick and others in the briefing room.

After the various bits of information came through the room followed by Kendrick's orders, Keval spoke.

"Tristan, I think that our arrival may have sped something else up," the andorian said as he moved to his feet, his blue orbs narrowing deeper in thought. "I don't have all of the information but if things are going the way that it is I think the Hawk elements in fleet command must have sway again."

Keval then tapped a couple of commands into a station at his spot at the table. "If we exit red alert status, I want to move my deputies to key locations and start activating transport inhibitors to block anymore... unwelcome guests from just hopping aboard our home but I'm going to head down to the head down to the docking port and ensure that nobody does anything totally stupid there."

Keval then started to head towards the door, "If you're wanting my opinion then it's that we remain at red alert and go directly to dealing with a potentially very hot and hostile starbase security chief... Captain."

Reply #203
[Lt Hi'Jak| Starbase 84 | Jefferies Tubes ] Attn: Auctor, & Roaria

Jack didn't have much love for the tubes in all honesty. They were cramped, sweaty passages that ran for miles and they always made him feel claustrophobic. Even though this was his idea as he moved the pannel back into place he already regretted the use of the maintaniance shaft. "So we have two options, and neither are great. We can either head towards the travel core, and litterally ride a lift." Something that was dangerous and stupid if time saving.

"Or we can climb something like a thousand miles of tubes slowly and be exausted by the time we got to your ship." Hi'Jak muttered as he moved to follow her, the cramped place basically meant that he was forced to watch Sera's ass as they moved. Still hopefully the sensors were weaker in the tubes. In truth it wasn't much of a choice, the lifts were far better suited towards their needs at the moment and that meant heading towards the travel core.

"Not that I don't mind the view, but shouldn't I be in lead? I mean I've actually used these tubes before do you know where we are going?" Hi'Jak said rolling his eyes for a moment not that there were a lot of places to go from the lab. He really wished he could have quarantined the sector or done something to slow security.  Still being stuck behind Sera did have one advantage, like he said he really didn't mind the view. He had always thought of himself as more of an ass and leg person and Sera's lower half wasn't half bad looking. He could see the allure though now when they were in danger of being caught really wasn't the best time.

OOC: Kendrick reply coming later today.

Reply #204
[Lt. JG. Zelosa Ejek | Halls | USS Resolve] Attn: Havenborn, SummerDawn, Triage, Brutus + whoever I've forgotten

That was his plan? Ejek shot a glance at her superior officer as if to question his sanity, but she controlled herself. "What is vial 117?" She asked, instead, her voice forcefully calm. As a member of an alien species relatively new to Starfleet, she was more sceptical than most when confronted with unknown substances. Lest she unwittingly got in contact with cobalt diselenide because it was supposedly non-lethal. And the Cardassian state only knew what was deadly to F'Rell. No, actually Ejek was pretty sure not even the Cardassian science ministry knew that for a fact.

"Are you absolutely certain it's not harmful for our residing T'fanrell?" The Cardassian probed further. That reminded her, they still needed an excuse for F'Rell's participation in the jail break. She'd been used, Ejek though. Yes, that would most likely suffice.

"If you ask me, since our primary mission is to stall, don't have Tancredi release anything safe for coloured steam. Or narcotic gas, if you must; that way they're sure out for a while, and we can conveniently quarantine them in sickbay." Ejek shrugged. "We'd blame the release on the Captain and his followers, and claim we'd have to keep our guests under surveillance until we know what it was. Then we apologise for the hold-up, as it turns out everything's fine, and have starbase security puzzle out how Kendrick and his friends betrayed us all. Hurray, they're our saviours."

The Cardassian turned around the next corner and the docking bay doors came in sight. Almost at the same time, Ensign K'Ren's voice sounded through the Lieutenant's combadge. A tinge of guilt flashed through Ejek. She knew she had yet to answer the hybrid's message. The Cardassian kept posture and her mouth shut in a downright irrational attempt to not let the half-Caitian know she was present.
Ensign Tancredi's voice was the next on the line. Things were coming to a head.

Ejek didn't interrupt Havenborn as he issued orders. For the sake of the Resolve crew's integrity she hoped that it would not come to any open confrontation with starbase security. Their best bet was the base would go for the Aerowing once it launched and left the Luna-class vessel be until after they discovered who they were supposed to blame for all that.

With a deep breath the Cardassian forced herself to leave the false security behind the Resolve's shields to face the security department of starbase 84. Since she hadn't gotten anything of the security chief's previous hail, she was relatively unprepared of what was awaiting her behind the docking bay doors.
She stopped immediately when addressed by Lieutenant Dotnihl, slowly raising her hands, palms shown, in a gesture of surrender to the vast amount of phasers pointing at her. This was the second time today. Things didn't get better.

"Zelosa Ejek, Lieutenant Junior Grade." She stated her rank and name, in the requested order. "We do not know of any terms, but we are here to meet with you." The Cardassian said, grateful for how obviously intimidated she was by this situation. There was no need to play anything at all. "Perhaps we can peacefully sort out this... misunderstanding." It had to be a misunderstanding when a group of heavily armed people threatened an unarmed counsellor and the Squadron Commander of a starship, speaking of terms of surrender that had yet to be issued, hadn't it?

Reply #205
[Captain Tristan Kendrick | Briefing Room | USS Resolve ] Attn: Everyone in the briefing room! + Follow Tomorrow

The transmission played out and Kendrick actually smiled for a moment. For once it seemed they had some hard evidence that there was a traitor among the starbase. The former Borg and her friend just brought them an important piece of the puzzle. What was more the voice was something to him. He wasn't sure where or who it was, but there was some familiarity to it as well, and If both he and Six had heard that voice it was making it seem like the list was getting smaller and smaller for their mystery saboteur.

He relaxed a little with this the two intruders into his briefing room were certainly welcome if they were bringing him information like this. "The voice is... I can't place it, but lets see what our engineering team can do with it." Taking the PADD, he sent the transmission to his Chief Engineer and then tapped his combadge. "Suq-Reylin-Efreya,  great work on the jamming signal. Check your messages and listened to the transmission I just sent you. Maybe you and your team can clear it up a little more, or match it with someone in the Starfleet database."

The database that this ship no longer had. He paused for a moment before shrugging. "Just see what you can do, I don't expect a miracle, but keep it safe."

The next intrusion into the briefing room was his Yeoman Lane was an elderly woman who's once blond hair had started to fade and had several wrinkles along her face though he wasn't entirely sure if those were from her age, or the stress the crew had from the years of being in enemy space. They had all aged unnaturally at some point. He didn't say anything at first as the Yeoman worked to patch through a set of demands from the star-bases' chief of security.

Top among that list was to hand himself over along with the other members of his crew that the plan was supposed to protect. He had no intentions of actually submitting to any of the demands at this moment. His attention returned to Six.

"That's the same Chief of Security you showed the evidence too?" He asked curiously for a moment but shook it off. For now, this place was the safest for him as long as they remained locked in at red alert there was no way to get a clear transporter reading on anyone and so transporter dampeners weren't needed as long as they kept shields raised.

Keval made his request, and Tristan nodded. "Agreed, we stay at Red Alert, and you can go deal with security. We need to get that decoy ship launched, any time you can help to buy is a definite good thing."

Kendrick had to admit that yeah, it was likely that the war hungry hawks were back in power. It was a lot like the situation during the Klingon peace talks, and he wasn't surprised. The Romulan Star Empire was in open revolt and there for weak, and whenever an 'enemy' showed weakness there was always going to be some faction that turned around and wanted blood, even among the most peaceful operations.

For now, he would just have to keep his faith in his crew, and stay out of the way, which brought him to A'vura, Six and the other entity still in the briefing room. The four of them had no job except staying away from security.

"For now the four of us need to find some place to stay out of the way if they sweep the ship. Thiose known to them are supposed to be on the decoy aerowing." He considered for a few moments hiding places that would have worked and none came immediately to his mind.

"A'vura any suggestions on where we can go?"

He turned to the unknown and Six. "Thank you for risking your lives to bringing all of this to my attention. You took a great risk and for that my crew will do what we can to protect you both." Sanctuary on his ship was about the only thing he had to offer at this point, and even then they would need to be clever and work out some place to stay.

"What's your name?" He asked looking to the one person who hadn't introduced herself in the briefing room, an attractive blonde woman in a jumpsuit that did not appear to know Six that well either...

Reply #206
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Airlock | USS Resolve ] Attn: Julia, Brutus, Triage, SummerDawn

As Daniel received the first message from Ensign K'Ren he smiled at the prompt response.  "Ensign K'Ren head to security and coordinate with them.  Also check in with Lieutenant ch'Rayya and see where the best spots for his security personnel would be just in case this turns into a firefight.  That's all, Havenborn out."  He said as he closed the communications channel and a moment later he was contacted by Ensign Tancredi.

"Ensign Tancredi I want you to head to science lab four and find vial one hundred and seventeen, that's vial one-one-seven, and release it into the ships environmental system, the contents are harmless to anyone on the Resolve.  That's all, Havenborn out."  He said as he turned to Ejek.

"Vial one hundred and seventeen contains a non-life threatening contagious biological agent that is essentially harmless; we're safe as we've all had the inoculations for them, unless someone on the ship hasn't been here for the past three years."  He said as he paused for a moment.  "I can't remember the exact symptoms but they're not life threatening; just look incredibly alien.  It's something that our doctors will recognize and they'll be able to help us with stalling them."  Daniel answered her.

Daniel let Ejek walk forward and talk to the starbase security personnel. He straggled in his steps, hanging back as they approached the barricade. It took him quite a bit of willpower not to grab his pistol and take aim, but it was hardly advisable given the circumstances. Being closer to the airlock, he reasoned he had a fighting chance at opening fire and retreating back into the protection Resolve's bulkheads if things took a turn for the worst.
Defeat, Genocide; why quibble with semantics.

Reply #207
[Komial Dotnhil | Starbase 84 | USS Resolve Docking Pylon]Atten: Hawthorne, Havenborn, Juila, Kendrick

While she confronted the two officers from the - she hated thinking of it as 'enemy' ship, so she went with embargoed instead - she discreetly glanced down at the mobile unit set up in front of her. It was pulling up what little crew file's they had managed to assemble in regards to the Resolve since its return to Federation Space. Which wasn't a whole lot, she reflected as she watched the Junior Graded Lieutenant in the teal of science and medical raise her arms up.

Zelosa Ejek , Komial thought, reviewing the thin notation about being one of the first Cardassians in Starfleet, and apparently being a counselor. She imagined a ship trapped on the wrong side of the neutral zone would need one of those. If she wasn't part of some treacherous plot between the Cardassian government and the Romulan Empire. But Komail admonished herself not to jump to too many conclusions, despite the fact that there was mounting evidence against them. She had her orders and she would stick to them.

"A misunderstanding?" Komial asked as she looked between the two officers. While her team had informed her - discreetly - of the shields being raised on the embargoed vessel, she knew there was no such protection extending through the airlock. The physical contact of the docking tube would interuppt the flow of the shields. She picked up on the way the man in fighter white hung back, closer to the port into his own ship. She narrowed her eyes slightly, looking for any kind of tell. Years of training told her that man was about as on edge as could be, despite the cool facade he had on. He was a professional warrior, unlike the woman currently addressing Komail and her officers. Keeping her hand hidden on the console, she discreetly gesutured to another member of her team to keep his eyes and weapon trained of the fighter pilot.

"Who sent you out, Lt. Ejek. Do stay just where you are," she added, letting her team emphasize the point with a slight raising of a phaser rifle, "And who is your friend back there?" The computer would tell her, but still. The Cardassian was about ten meters away, and the human half the distance away from the Resolve's airlock.

Reply #208
[ Krystal "Meony" Tancredi | Corridor to the Fighter Assault Bay | USS Resolve ] Attn: LT Daniel Havenborn, Chief Medical Officer Lyhn

[Show/Hide]

"A'ight, sugah, ya got it! Ah'll check with Lyhn to make sure we've all gotten shots for it too!" said Tancredi, and turned off her communications with the lieutenant. She started jogging towards the turbolift to get to the science labs, when she stopped midway in an empty corridor, "Hold it!"

It just occurred to her that yes, Vial 117, a very fun vial, was harmless to almost everyone on board the Resolve. But not everyone presently on board the Resolve had been inoculated just yet. That Romulan for one, the annoying Cardassian, Doctor Silim Parnak, and Officer Useless. Well, no need to waste resources on someone useless...so no issues there. But the Romulan...and unfortunately, even Parnak would need inoculation. Sighing, Tancredi tapped her combadge, "Doctor Lyhn?"

"Yes, Meony?" said Lyhn, sounding more than a little busy.

"Sorry to bother ya, but Lieutenant Havenborn wants ta flood our environmental systems with Vial One-One-Seven," said Tancredi, "you remember that vial, don't ya? Good times. Anyway, Ah think he forgot our new guests don' have the inoculation against it jus' yet. Our Rommie friend's gonna need if he doesn't want ta spend da next few days goin' through embarrassin' experiences. Oh...and...Doctor Parnak too...ya know, that damn Cardassian. But, no rush for him, really, no rush at all. Or ya know, jus' use something sharp and painful fer 'im...if ya don' mind that is."

Tancredi couldn't help herself. She was an opinionated sadistic bitch that was not afraid to speak her mind, and Lyhn knew it. Oh she knew it very well. She knew how well Tancredi could cuss in English, Chinese, French, Klingon, Romulan and Cardassian, all in one very long sentence, during surgeries, and that was with sedatives. Without sedatives, she could add several more languages in, because the first thing Tancredi learned from any new language to her was the foul words. As Captain Kendrick knew, if he wanted to start wars, he would just lock Tancredi in a room that could communicate across the quadrants. So Lyhn took everything she said in a stride, practically ignoring her painful suggestions on how to give Parnak the inoculation and replied with, "Understood, Ensign. Parnak's with me right now, so I'll administer the treatment for him, first. Carry on."

"Roger," Tancredi closed her link and entered the turbolift, "Sahns Labs."

"Unknown location, please state again." said the feminine computerized voice.

"Gahd dammit!" Tancredi took a deep breath, and said very slowly, "Science...labs."

The turbolift began to move, and Tancredi leaned back against the wall, muttering, "Four centuries since da first computer. Ya'd think they'd have a comp that can understand fucking accents bah now..."

[ Science Lab 4 | USS Resolve ]

Tancredi lightly tapped her fingers over the various vials in storage, making beeping noises with each touch over one, "Boop, boop, boop, oOOoo, Vial Sixty-Nine, very naughty...Vial One-One-Five, One-One-Six, ah, One-One-Seven. Come ta mama."

She retrieved the vial, and headed out for the Environmental Systems. "♫♪Let's get it staaarted-uh-hot! Let's get it staaarted IN HERE!♪♫"

Once more in the turbolift, she looked up questioningly at the ceiling, and then said "En-che-nearing! And if ya don' get that, Ah'm gonna fucking shoot ya!"

Fortunately for the computer, it apparently figured it out, and sent Tancredi to her desired destination with all due alacrity.

[ Ship Environmental Systems | Engineering Deck | USS Resolve ]

Skipping over, Tancredi opened the valve to receive the vial, and shoved 117 into it. "All raht, fahr in da hole!"

With a snap and hiss, the vial's contents was released into the systems. Soon, everyone within the Resolve would be inhaling the lovely contents of the vial, and God help those without inoculation. Tancredi had half a mind to run over to the brig just to watch Officer Useless and cackle at his dilemma. "Damn Ah love mah job!"

Reply #209
[ Sera vers Aldnoah | Starbase 84 | Jefferies Tubes ]

Sera frowned as Hi'Jak presented their options to her and sure enough as he'd said neither option sounded good in any definition of the word. One involved taking the risk of trying to take a lift while the other involved climbing through miles of Jefferies tubes to get to the shuttle bay where Sabine was waiting. Although it was dangerous and the chance of getting caught was far greater she had to say  that heading toward the travel core sounded like the far better option. She sighed thinking about the many ways their escape could go wrong most of them involved the two of them shooting their way through a small army of security officers to finally reach the shuttle bay.

Sera glanced back at Hi'Jak as he mentioned that he should probably be leading considering he actually knew how to navigate through the tubs. To be fair he had a point but right now in the cramped space there wasn't much room to let him get ahead of her. His comment about the view didn't escape her either but at the current moment they both had better things to worry themselves with. "Take a picture it'll last longer." She said as she looked ahead of them. "Just tell me which way to go I can't really make much room for you in here." She said simply.

Reply #210
[LT Keval ch'Rayya/ Chief Tac & Sec/ USS Resolve Briefing Room] ATTN: Briefing room & Docking Gantry.

Keval nodded at his captain's orders as he left the briefing room and ran into Crewman Jaffe who handed his department chief a phaser rifle and a hand unit which he gratefully accepted before tapping his com-badge. "The is Keval to Ensign Chu'lak, Launch the aeroshuttle at once on my authority." he said.

*Confirmed, Lieutenant* came back the Vulcan officer's reply.

"Come on, Jaffe. I want to make sure that everything over in the gantry is on the up and up." Keval said as he and the crewman quickly made their way down there but what he saw when he got there made his blood freeze (even more so for an Andorian) as he watched Zelosa with her arms up as the busty, red headed chief of security of the starbase started to bark orders.

"Damn sir. I don't know if I'm to shoot her or fall in love." the almost still wet behind the ears enlisted said plainly as he looked at the the base's chief of security.

"If I had a strip of latinum for every time.." he muttered darkly as the conversation that he had with Krystal only earlier that same day floated through his mind as he made a couple of quick adjustments to his rifle's settings before following it up with the hand unit. "Look, keep your eyes on the base personnel and try to focus on creating a cross fire to not hit any of our people."

Jaffe looked up at his chief and nodded slowly as he quickly started to make an adjustment to his rifle's beam emitter.

"What are you doing?" Keval asked as he re-holstered his hand unit and got ready to position himself for an optimal field of fire.

"Well the compression phaser rifle uses a unique two field emitter range system and by manually adjusting it instead of going through the weapon's own internal system." Jaffe said as the weapon made a slight whirring noise before he braced it against his own shoulder. "It narrows the field down and prevents my department chief from kicking my ass later."

Keval didn't say a word as he quietly went back to keeping the cardassian woman covered to the best of his ability and allowed his instincts, honed from years of operational use, combined with the senses that Lor'Vela had granted him to keep his people safe from harm.

Reply #211
[ Melissa Wright | Briefing Lounge | U.S.S. Resolve ] Attn: Kaligos, Vystori, All others

Well, tits up didn't really begin to describe Melissa's day. If she didn't know better, she'd pinch herself and check this all wasn't a dream. After completing repairs and arming Sabine, She was told to remove everything again. She'd met the glorious tattoo-handed tomb raider and hatched a plan to escape to a world of excitement, adventure, and perhaps even a bit of slap and tickle.

It was after that when everything had started to turn for the worse. She didn't even know what had gotten into her head but, with all the talk of running away and starting a new life, she must had felt heroic. That could be the reason why she'd attempt to jump in front of a security guard to save a woman she'd never even met before. The woman hadn't even thanked her before she abruptly beamed them both to god knows where. Although what she had said reminded Melissa of a particularly awful boyfriend she had in the academy who was obsessed with those late 20th Century movies. The robot in that movie was pretty cool, but why were so many boys pre-occupied with that period in history anyway? She shuddered the thought away and brought her attention back to the room.

It appeared that there were things happening on the Starbase which was outside of her little world. Some form of dastardly plot was underway, and it meant that Mel was here; with Orions and Romulans and Cardassians, oh my!

The captain had taken the time out of his obviously busy schedule to thank Melissa and the borg for their part on this unfolding story. Offering them hospitality and solace of the ship.  It took a moment to realise that he was the one who had returned from spending the last few years in Romulan space. Mel tried to remember what it was even called. It had been the talk of the station when they had returned? Was it the Resolute? The Revolution? It didn't matter anyway. What did matter was that she got back, to Sabine and Sera.

"Petty Officer Melissa Wright, Sir." Melissa saluted the captain. "Sir, I realise there is a lot going on, but is there any way I could get back to Starbase 84?..." She paused, before mentally shrugging, might as well go the whole hog. Melissa tried to avoid her cheeks becoming flush. "...I have a date."

Reply #212
[ Dr. Silim Parnak | Main Sickbay | U.S.S. Resolve ] Attn: Auctor Lucan, Triage, All others who care

Silim looked into the canister before sealing it shut with a final click. It was, for lack of a better word, disgusting. Inside each one was enough raw materials and a small electronic pulse generator, which would fool a sensor into mistaking it for a living being. Each one was fine tuned for the race of whom they were emulating. Checking with a tricorder that all the canisters were now complete, Silim sighed in relief. He had rushed the process as time was short. Usually this would take hours if not days to complete. He hoped it would be good enough. 

"We're ready." He said matter of factly towards his fellow doctor. "It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but it'll do." Doctor Lyhn had been following Parnak's progress with keen eyes, but was sensible enough to give the Cardassian space to work. Lyhn called across the orderlies who proceeded to load up and cart them off to their destination. Silim had a though to call out after them, with a standard 'If you break it you bought it' speech, but he couldn't really be bothered. In fact, he was feeling a bit tired.

Lyhn's combadge chirped and what followed was the sweet dulcet tones of Tancredi. Although it was rude to overhear on another's conversation, Silim couldn't resist and when the topic changed to be about himself, he was jubilant. At least for the few seconds before she requested him to be stuck with something painful. While most would change expressions to that of someone with a slapped ass, Silim couldn't help but smirk. No matter what she said, he was in her mind. Stage one of dance was complete.

As Lyhn retrieved the materials to inoculate both Parnak and Drauc. Silim used his combadge. "Parnak to Kendrick. The canisters are complete. They're being taken to the shuttle now. Would you care to inform your Romulan comrade?"

Reply #213
[ Suq | Main Engineering | U.S.S. Resolve ] Attn: Kaligos, Auctor Lucan

"Suq-Reylin-Efreya,  great work on the jamming signal. Check your messages and listened to the transmission I just sent you. Maybe you and your team can clear it up a little more, or match it with someone in the Starfleet database [...] Just see what you can do, I don't expect a miracle, but keep it safe."

"On it, Captain."
Suq had been hunched over a console, he straightened up when he heard his Captain's voice. He tapped his screen over to his personal inbox, newly wiped out thanks to the clean database. There was a message with a transmission attached. He hit play and closed his eyes to listen.

"Greetings, 'Ghost'. This is 'Moon'..." Began the transmission. Suq recognized Romulan for a split second, before the universal translator kicked in. His sensitive ears had to work hard to pick up every tone in the mystery stranger's voice. Moon had used a voice distortion device. The whole transmission played and Suq still couldn't make heads or tails of the voice, except that Moon was a man. Or maybe a really manly woman. Suq bristled to think about the distorted voice. It was familiar, he'd heard one with the exact timbre before. Someone spoke with that voice to him once, but he couldn't pin where. The word 'greetings' hung in his head...

He began to tap at the computer. He pulled up a variety of audio editing tools to clear up some of the noise and static, make the voice a little louder, and to reverse some of the distortion. The rest of the work would be handled by Suq's ears and auditory center--being Efrosian, his hearing was more advanced than any of his other senses. He couldn't clear all the distortion--it was a voice distortion device after all--but he cleared enough to make the voice sound real, not so robotic.
After his work, he hit play one more time, then stood silently with his eyes closed, focusing...

"Greetings, 'Ghost'. This is 'Moon'...." "Greetings, 'Ghost'...." "Greetings..." "Greetings..." "Greetings..."

"Greetings, and welcome to Starbase 84!"
Suq's eyes snapped open. He remembered someone who had this tone of voice. His body jerked off to the side and he almost tripped over himself in his haste to find a PADD or console or something that had been disconnected from the main computer core before the explosion. He knew there was one off in his office, one he deactivated shortly after docking so he could repair it. Once again, he sprinted there, and thankfully it was not far.

His hands shook, he dropped the PADD at least twice in his attempts to pick it up. He had to focus on placing its isolinear chip back into the slot. While he worked on that, he turned and started to speed walk back to the console he was at previous. He narrowly missed falling down the stairs.

The PADD turned on in his hands just as he arrived at the console. It was still a wreck, all memory from before its corruption two days ago beyond repair. But all he needed was this one voice recording, this one recording of Ian Hawthorne, greeting the Resolve to Starbase 84. He found it, he hit play, and he listened.
"Greetings, and welcome to Starbase 84!"
The message played out, and then he switched to the mystery transmission...
"Greetings, 'Ghost'. This is 'Moon'..."
A perfect match, he thought, as the transmission played out to the otherwise-empty engineering room.
"You vile cur! Come back here, traitor!"

A few minutes after having been contacted, Suq sent off his message to Kendrick. It contained a refined copy of the original transmission, with more of the distortion cleared, and a copy of Ian's greeting.
"Captain. You, uh, might want to sit down for this. The voice in the transmission is Ian Hawthorne. He's the guy who greeted us to the Starbase. You've got proof in your inbox. I think--" He paused, but he always wanted to say this. Now is his chance, "I think we're in a real life conspiracy theory."

He stood in silence, smiling to himself and staring down at the play button for the Moon transmission. He felt a lot like he was watching the whole universe burn down around him.

He really would kill for a nap right about now.

Reply #214
[ ENS K'Ren | USS Resolve | Fighter Assault Bay ] Attn: Keval

"Understood Sir. Ens K'Ren out."

Guess that answers that question she mused. Station Security didn't exactly believe the ship wasn't compromised and now things were coming to a head. She started heading towards security as she began making calls to clarify her orders. "Ens K'Ren to Security. I have orders from Lt Havenborn to be placed at your disposal. Where am I required?"

"Good question." Came the voice through her combadge. "We're securing for a potential boarding action by Station Security, and apparently a shuttle was just recently approved for launch. Lord knows why." The voice at the end paused briefly, "We can use you anywhere Ensign but maybe ask Lt ch'Rayya. He'll have a better idea where we can use you."

"Understood. K'Ren out." she responded, starting towards the docking port. It was several decks up and both there and the shuttlebay were in the same general direction. Hopefully he would know what was going on.

Making the third call in as many seconds, K'Ren got Keval on the horn. "Sir. Ensign K'Ren. Lt Havenborn placed me under your direction. There's a shuttle being prepped for launch. Do you need me to pilot that shuttle, or where else do you want me?" She would normally be a bit more respectful of tone, but as things were a bit insane, and information needed to be communicated, she hoped he would forgive her terse language.

Reply #215
[ Lieutenant Mackenzie | Starbase 84 | Security Centre ] Attn: Kaligos & RosariaRosette

In the surveillance room, which was the proverbial heart of the security centre, there stood Mackenzie and coordinated the teams deployed over the entire starbase. There were currently three focal points for him and the ones seated by the computer consoles, and those were the lobby of the EOC, the Science Labs and the docking pylon to the USS Resolve. With Komial at one of those locations, it was his job as Assistant Chief Security Officer to make sure all the teams were deployed efficiently.

"Still no trace of where Ensign Six and her compatriot went," he said, as if to himself. He thought it over one more time before making the call. "I am redirecting two teams in the lobby to the Jefferies tubes. Hopefully, they will be able to intercept Hi'Jak and the Câroon civilian before they get to far. The Science Labs are in the EOC anyway, so it is an ideal starting point for the search. Furthermore, I want two guards in all the cars in the Travel Core. If the suspects tries to get anywhere quickly, we'll have them."

Indeed, Hi'Jak and Sera vers Aldnoah had been spotted entering the Jefferies tubes in the Science Labs, and while they had no eyes on them since then, they had their life-signs to trace with internal sensors as best as they might. Mackenzie stepped forward as he watched the two dots flicker and move on the centre screen in the room. "Tell Stavros and Rigell that they need to take a right in the first intersection, and then go down one deck. If they hurry, the two suspects will move right into them."

[ Petty Officer Stavros | Starbase 84 | Executive Offices Complex > Jefferies Tubes ] Attn: Kaligos & RosariaRosette

With the lobby under control, several guards arriving and calming the civilians present around the dead body, the orders to pursue the scientist and his accomplice did not come as a surprise to Stavros. With a quick look towards Rigell they heeded the order to enter the Jefferies tubes. Stavros silently wondered what the hell was going on, but if these two rats in the maintenance tubes were affiliated somehow to Six, then they were just as guilty as that Borg murderer. Crewman Clarke had not deserved to die like that - killed right in a public area in far too young years.

"Come on, Rigell," said Stavros to the crewman next to him as they entered the tubes, and in short order they were on the way to the indicated spot - about to ambush the rats before they scurried too far. Stavros raked his oily hair back from his forehead and had his hand phaser out as he crawled, and Rigell's gaze behind tresses of blonde hair assured Stavros that he could count on the young man - he would not hesitate to do what was needed.

Wait...

Having taken point as he climbed down the chute that would take them to the ambush point, he thought he heard noises. Time was too short. No time to hesitate. He dropped down the hole, letting go of the maintenance ladder, and hoped to appear right in front of the two suspects with his phaser ready. Unfortunately, the rats had scurried too far, so he ended up right between them. In front of him was the posterior of a woman in civilian clothes, and the moving shadow on the bulkhead in the cramped space showed that the scientist was behind him.

Stavros whipped back with his hand, meaning to deal backhand blow to the scientist. Awkwardly, he would turn around and try to strike the suspect with his phaser as well. He hoped Rigell would climb down soon, even though the woman was likely an easier target for him.

Reply #216
[LT Keval ch'Rayya/ Chief Tac & Sec/ USS Resolve Briefing Room] ATTN: K'Ren & Docking Gantry.

When K'Ren's voice came through his communicator, Keval had to think about who was doing the speaking for a second before he remembered that it was one of Havenborn's pilots and he readjusted his hold on his phaser rifle to tap his communicator. "Ensign, report to the Aerowing shuttle but make sure that you have an emergency transportor armband just in case."  Keval said as he kept his eyes trained on keeping his Cardassian colleague covered with his weapon.

"Furthermore only keep the shields up on the shuttle until otherwise told by myself or the captain, K'Ren." Keval said as he adjusted his footing just a little bit..something about this whole situation was still not settling right with him. "If we pull this off perfectly then I owe you a candle lit dinner, deal?" he asked, hoping that positive thinking would help the situation within the 'verse.

But still something about all of this was making his gut scream at him-there was a missing element but what could it be the former member of Starfleet Special Operations kept thinking as he kept his people covered.

Reply #217
[ ENS K'Ren | USS Resolve | Ship's Corridor ] Attn: Keval, Drauc,

K'Ren listened to Keval's instructions. In addition to the active beacon in her helmet, her suit had a passive transporter beacon embedded in the exo-suit, the idea being if she made planet fall in hostile territory and lost her helmet, as long as she had her suit on, orbiting ships could find her. "Understood. Transporter beacon and shields up until told otherwise." She chuckled a little. "I'll hold you to the dinner Sir. K'Ren out"

She'd already changed course for the shuttle bay when he'd given her the instructions. Being a Caitian, sprinting came naturally and a good sense of balance made cornering almost as easy. That assumed one didn't run into anyone in the halls along the way. The turbolifts being too slow, K'Ren knew where a couple larger Jefferies tubes were that could get her up to the shuttlebay in a hurry.

She was panting a bit when she finally made the shuttle bay, just in time to see staff from Medical leaving the shuttle with empty grav carts. Her ears perked in curiosity, tail twitching as the presence of medical teams on a shuttle was unusual. That the shuttle was already warmed up and the Chief Medical Officer was stepping off was even more unlikely. Slipping aboard as the airlock began to cycle, she saw an unfamiliar face in the cockpit.

Reply #218
[ LT JG Zelosa Ejek | Airlock | USS Resolve ] Attn: Havenborn, Brutus

Who sent her out? The better question was: why did this inquiry come as a big enough surprise to bestow a moment of speechlessness on Ejek? It hit her between the eyes like a bloody amateur. Luckily, Lt. Dotnhil didn't stop after just one question, and thus gave her enough time to reflect on her answer, while simultaneously filing the Trill's other two requests in her mental database.

Following the security chief's gaze to Daniel Havenborn, the Cardassian's mind raced in a cost-benefit calculation. She wanted to lie about her tasker. Her instincts told her to avoid being associated with Captain Kendrick, since he was about to become their scapegoat. But her mind knew better than that. Surely, starbase security would know by now that the Resolve's captain was on board his ship. Thanks to precise sensors, there was a good chance starbase security even knew she had been in his proximity not too long ago, and that their last meeting had coincidentally been in a conference room. No, lying about that would most likely not pay off well, but make her suspicious, instead.

"Lieutenant Daniel Havenborn," the counsellor answered Lt. Dotnhil's second question first. She stayed where she was, just as ordered. That order did not help her nerves in the least, however. "He's the Resolve's Squandron Leader. Our Captain sent us out to talk to you. He wants us to find out what's wrong. And, really, please... would you mind telling them to put those phasers down? I am unarmed! And I have no idea what is going on!" Those last words were said in a strange mixture of pleading and indignant.

Was she losing it? Ejek knew Starfleet protocol well enough to know that, in theory, all those phasers should be on stun. But that was standard procedure for intact operations. The Cardassian's trust in the intactness of starbase security was low at this point, confronted with a severe case of being framed for treason, possibly out of their ranks. Only one of those people had to have a 'phaser malfunction' and Zelosa Ejek was history...

Reply #219
[Komial Dotnhil | Starbase 84 | USS Resolve Docking Pylon]Atten: Hawthorne, Havenborn, Juila, Kendrick

Those deep, dark eyes of hers narrowed again as the CSec processed what she was being told. They shifted from the Cardassian woman in teal to the human man in white, sizing him up. She was amused that he was letting the cardassian answer for him, but then again, this Lt. Ejek was a counselor, and they were supposed to be good at putting people at ease. Not that the counselor herself was very calm at the moment.

Komial was no telepath, but she didn't need one of her telepathic subordinates to be able to tell just how upset the other woman was. Granted, no one liked to be starring down the barrel of a phaser rifle, regardless of whether or not they were innocent. But the stakes were far too high for Komial to care about her comfort.

"I'm sorry, Lieutenant," she said, addressing the Cardassian, "But my men are not going to be lowering their weapons any time soon. Just because you appear to be unarmed doesn't mean you're not a potential threat. And frankly, I'd rather have you under the gun than not, just right now. I have around ten thousand lives to consider. You're discomfort, frankly, isn't even on my sensor readout when it comes to priorities." Suck it up, butter cup.

Stalling a bit more while she waited for Captain Hendricks to get down her, Komial added. "As for whats wrong, Lieutenants," now addressing both Resolve crew members, "How about the fact that your crew has been seen colluding with wanted felons." Oh, that was just a we bit of a stretch, "We have already sent a direct message to your ship. It seems your captain has offered you up as fodder."

Reply #220
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Airlock | USS Resolve ] Attn: Brutus, DocReno, Julia

Daniel glanced over at Ejek as she explained their situation.  He was more than happy to let her talk this out, he had no real intention of doing much talking.  As his pilots could attest to he wasn't one for fancy speeches, he preferred to let his actions do his speaking for him.  Although in another couple minutes Ensign Tancredi will have released vial one-one-seven and if  Komial and her team forced their way on board they'd become infected and he'd be able to quarantine them, effectively stopping them from searching for Captain Kendrick and the others.

However as Komial spoke he looked at her and as she denied Ejek's request he couldn't help but smirk slightly.  He knew before she even spoke that the Security personnel wouldn't lower their weapons, it was SOP in this situation that they keep their weapons trained on them.  For his part however as she addressed both of them he shifted his hand on his modified phaser pistol and changed the setting from safe to stun but still keeping it holstered.

He wasn't sure what message she was referring to, he knew that Suq had put up a jamming signal so whatever message she sent might have been jammed without their knowledge.  He'd let Ejek respond and interfere only if absolutely necessary.

Defeat, Genocide; why quibble with semantics.

Reply #221
[Ensign Six and Ensign A'vura Zeshryr | Briefing Room | Resolve] Attn:  Everyone in the briefing room!

A'vura thought for a bit before finally answering. "There are two clear options at this point Captain. Either behind the Plasma Manifolds, or in the Nacell Access Corridor. Both places would shield us from scans coming from their ship. It would prevent them from seeing our life signs as well. My main suggestion would be the Necell Access Corridor personally. It's large enough certainly for all four of us to hide out, with plenty of spare room to maneuver around if need be, on the off chance that they do find us there. Hopefully though, if they do decide to scan for us, not only won't they find out life signs on the ship here, but they won't find them on the Starbase either, which will work in our favor."

Nodding her head, Six eventually responded as well. "I agree. The Nacell Access Corridor is likely the safest place for us and will indeed prevent them from seeing us with any of their scans. They won't know where we are and will waste much time looking while we can devise more of a plan and have the time to clean up that transmission further." She then looked at Kendrick and stood at attention. All this fuss and of course she had forgotten protocol in the process and neglected introductions. "My apologies Captain. I'm Ensign Six, Forensic Science Officer." She then saluted properly to him and remained at attention until he told her to do otherwise. She was nothing if not keen on rules and protocol, despite the current situation, and it surprisingly flushed her a bit that she had forgotten such formalities even with what was all going on.

Much to Six's relief A'vura broke her tension and spoke up finally, "Sir if I may, we may wish to get to our hiding places soon, whatever you finally decide, ASAP, else they do their scans and it be too late for us."
"You wish to knock over cows? What is the significance of this? Do you derive pleasure from such things?" - Ensign Six

Reply #222
[ LT JG Zelosa Ejek | Airlock | USS Resolve ] Attn: Havenborn, Brutus, DocReno

All things considered, Ejek knew she had to do something entirely counter-intuitive: from here on she was going to deliberately stretch a situation she was uncomfortable with, and that for as long as possible. There was a great chance in the mere fact that she wasn't comfortable, too. It showed, and if anything, the counsellor doubted she was making the impression of someone who wanted to stay under the gun for longer than absolutely necessary. If she was lucky, it would take Lt. Dotnhil quite some time to even get the idea that she was stalling. If she wasn't lucky, she had a believable excuse for her outrage about that horrendous assumption. And if she was going to have a PTSD-induced breakdown over being held in this situation for too long, she at least had a starting point to question the security chief's competence in court, together with hopefully a few more minutes of distraction.

The Cardassian took the liberty to silently process the Trill's words for a few seconds. This was good, actually. Being seen as fodder played right into Ejek's scheme, so she wanted to make sure she and Havenborn fit the profile. She knew better than to take Lt. Dotnhil's words too literally. Surely, the chief of a starbase's security unit was smart enough to consider that things weren't always as they seemed. But unbeknownst to the Trill, the Resolve's officers had decided to blame it all on their captain, so having been sent out despite his better knowledge, yet without theirs, was an interpretation much in Ejek's and Havenborn's favour.

"We know nothing of a message," Ejek said eventually. She wondered if her knees trembled from concentration or tension. "What did it entail?" It was true, the message had not been transmitted shipwide. Yet the counsellor did not know that it had been supposed to. She expected it got sent directly to the bridge, and simply hoped the Trill would be kind enough to repeat it as they waited for an official reply, or at least give the Resolve's Lieutenants the benefit of the doubt and explain herself again, even if she was, at this point, still secretly certain that they were in cahoots with their captain and actually knew the message after all.
From a neutral standpoint, Ejek was pretty sure there was some Federation law or another in place that said a suspect had the right to know of their indictment. This wasn't Cardassia. Or so she had been told countless times. It looked like the time had come to prove there was any value whatsoever to that claim.

"I don't mean to be rude," she started after another pause short enough to catch her breath, but not long enough to signalise she was done talking. "We've been out there for the last three years. Assuming you're right, and we have been seen... colluding with wanted felons, was it?" She remembered the other's words exactly. This was merely Ejek resorting to her dusty rhetorical skills back from her schooling on Cardassia Prime. She doubted she was making a decent spokesperson right now, but in her defence, she was positively scared by the phaser barrels pointed at her. Falling back on old lessons helped her calm down a little and enabled her to formulate coherent sentences.

"Are you absolutely certain we knew who we were getting involved with? Or are you telling me you have suspects on this base that are known for more than three years, but eager, and apparently able, to beguile my homecoming crew?"

Reply #223
[LT Keval ch'Rayya/ Chief Tac & Sec/ Starbase Docking Gantry] ATTN: Docking Gantry.

Keval kept his sights on Dotnhil and her right shoulder, the muzzle of his rifle was very steady as he stayed quiet and kept his attention fully on the scene that was unfolding ahead of him as his antenna twitched ever so slightly as he kept that sense free and clear.

For the past couple of years while everyone was looking forward to the day that they could finally be back home, Keval was curious about what kind of new happy hell would occur when they did get home-Voyager for instance after all had missed the entire Dominion Conflict and with his varied history within the Federation's naval service, it made him wonder what kind of things was going to happen next.

Keval wasn't the kind of man that sees the glass half full or empty, he simply drank the damn glass dry and moved on.

Right now the only thing that he knew for certain was that there was something very wrong with this situation as a fellow maven of the security arts, Keval knew that the red-headed trill should've been doing more then just talking if he was in her place and that was bothering him even more then the fact that they were being set up and while he loved how Zelosa was slowly and analytically tearing apart the Trill's very own words-Prophet's he loved it when he watched the counselor at work.

"Hey Chief, do you think that Dotnhil has a valid point?" Jaffe asked as he adjusted leaned just a little bit more to get a better vantage point on the base security guard that had a bead on their fellow crew member.

"While I respect the fact that she's doing her job to the best of her ability, I know for a fact that who ever is giving her this information has got to be the winner of the biggest douche in the galaxy award, Jaffe." the Chaan said in a tense tone as he kept his attention focused on the scene in front of them. "I don't know what's going on but I do know that we didn't do anything that we're being accused of doing, let alone what she's accusing the captain of doing."

Jaffe blinked a couple of times before quickly casting a curious look at his department chief. "What do you mean by that, sir?"

"What I mean Jaffe is that by the rules of the service that a captain is responsible for the actions of his, her, or hir's crew." Keval explained slowly as an even darker thought slowly crept into his head that colored him with several shades of concern. "I just hope that there hasn't been any new shit happening in the Triangle that would make the syndicates connected to the Roms."

"What's the triangle and what brought on that line of thought, sir?" Jaffe asked in an honest tone.

Keval couldn't help himself as he turned his head just enough to look at the young man kneeling next to him with a single arched white eyebrow before shaking his head ever so slightly. "The Triangle is a section of space that is controlled with one of the major powers in the Federation, Klingons and Romulans at each of it's three tips..hence the term the Triangle and plus it's controlled by the Orions so..."

A look of understanding came over Jaffe as he slowly nodded and then went back to covering their fellow crewie.

Reply #224

"I'll break it down for you so you can understand just how trouble you're all in," she wondered if they were stupid, or stalling. Either way, she stared the duo down with a look of cold professionalism. She had her own reasons for dragging things out. Hopefully the boys and girls in Ops would break through the scattering field Lt. Selnak informed her of. But to the matter at hand, she began ticking off offenses with her fingers.

"Let's review, shall we? How about charges of aiding and abedding the escape of a prisoner from our bring - Drauc T'Laus, a wanted fugitive charged with espionage, and desertion," she began, those cold eyes slowly building up a heat inside, "or the abduction of a suspect that had been legally remanded into our custody, as part of the investigation of a bombing of our station shortly after your arrival!?" Oh yes, her voice was rising now. "Your captain absconded with one A'vura Zeshryr, whom was found at the scene of a suspected terrorist attack. And you illegally removed her from custody before she could be questioned."  she pointed at the ship, that cold anger lacing every word out of her mouth.

"What else? Oh yes, how could I forget that your people kidnapped Security Officer Bradford, one of my men. Which is why we have also...requested the presence of the so called "Ambassador"," At this point, she made little quote marks with her fingers, "F'Rell, who delayed our guards while members of your crew made off with the prisoners. Is that enough for you? Because I have more." She walked forward, in part to buy time and in part to see if she could confirm a little suspicion, trying to see a bit further past the two she was currently addressing.

Komial could hear a few of her people sucking in sharp breaths - no one liked their boss getting closer to a ship full of possible traitors. But the fierce CSec was not the kind of person to ask her people to do what she herself was unwilling to do.

"We also require, Lieutenant, the presence of your Tactical Chief, Lt. Keval ch'Rayya, and a woman identified from your personnel records as Ens Krystal Tancredi, for questioning. They were seen having an in-depth conversation with someone we suspect as having aided in the terrorist bombing. So as you can surely imagine, Counselor." she paused for affect, "I am not in the mood for games, and I am less than inclined to be forgiving just now. You lot were supposed to be returning home heroes. And in less then 24 hours members of your crew have provided aid and comfort to known fugitives and kidnapped starbase personnel."

And then as if an afterthought, she added, "Oh, and there is the tiny matter of the scattering field you've put up around the Resolve which is in violation of Starfleet regulations regarding the docking and breathing of vessels in Federation stations."

Simple Audio Video Embedder