Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [1530 hrs.] Particular Preliminary Prescriptions (Read 3277 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [1530 hrs.] Particular Preliminary Prescriptions

Day 02 [1530 hrs.] Particular Preliminary Prescriptions

[ Heather McMillan | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TrexelCat
[Show/Hide]
When the afternoon rolled by and Heather McMillan still wasn't feeling up to her usual state of health and relative well being, the young Radiant decided it was probably time to pay a visit to Sickbay. It frightened her, which was irrational really, and at the same time, not. On Earth, the Radiant avoided discovery by keeping to themselves. They had their own doctors and healthcare people, which minimized the chances of discovery. That wasn't going to be a problem any longer, and at the same time, it was going to be a new era. She had made the decision for her entire people by exposing herself to the crew of the Theurgy. Darn her curiosity about their origins. Now, for better or for worse, if she ever returned home, she would be accountable for a great deal.

As she keyed in a message to her superior for some time off to see a doctor, McMillan left the science labs and on her way, came to a horrifying thought: What if authorities approached her parents on account of her being on board the Theurgy? Would they imprison them? Interrogate them? Would they be discovered? Shaking her head and rubbing her temples to soothe the dull ache developing, she tried her best not to panic about that and worry about ensuring her own survival first. No help to anybody if I don't look after myself. She thought bemusedly as the turbolift doors hissed open.

“Deck eleven, please.” said McMillan once she entered the lift, and she did not have to wait long for this short travel before she was at her intended destination. Frowning, she wondered if she ought to call for help or just handle the tricorder scan herself. After all, no one knew her physiology better than she herself, what with her revealing her true nature only a few short weeks ago. But after puttering around for a while without a clue where to start, she relented and sought assistance. It was better to update the medical staff with more information on her people, and their adverse reaction to most conventional medicines. Privately, she mused that it was not so much how to kill a Radiant that was a challenge; it was how not to kill them.

Grimly acknowledging this fact was a stark reminder of their frailty and how cautious she had to be, it was best to educate her fellow crew on what could be fatal for her, which was a fairly long list, requiring a great deal of time to memorize. She noticed that there were several crew who had been revived recently from stasis, which interested her, along with the reactivation of a long term medical hologram. “E.V.E., hmm, Eve?” She called out softly, looking around.

Re: Day 02 [1530 hrs.] Particular Preliminary Prescriptions

Reply #1
[ EVE Program AK-1 | Main Sickbay | Deck Deck 11 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Triage
[Show/Hide]

Eve for the most part spent her off hours offline. She was capable of running for extended periods, months even. But for the time being, even with everything going on, there really wasn't much for her to do in sickbay unless someone summoned her. Her program was designed around medical, so while she could go out and wander around the ship there just wouldn't be much for her to do other than socialize. And from what she's been catching up on in the ship's records, wasn't much time for that.

The sickbay systems registered a new entity had entered, identified her and tracked her movements. The ship wasn't at any sort of alert state at the moment, so it just continued to passively observe the being.

"E.V.E." Stating the letters of her designation prompted no reaction from the computer. There was no call system implemented for that. "Eve?" The computer this time was able to make the connection and immediately ran through the sequence to activate the LMH, the only emergency medical hologram that actually had a name.

There was a slight sound of forcefields activating, followed a fraction of a second later by a female voice speaking. "Please state the nature of the medical emergency." A tired line to be sure, but at the moment the only one she could think of to use. Eve took a moment to look the woman before her up and down, tapping into the sickbay identification systems to know who the woman was.

"Well, it's been a while since I've seen you." She then moved over to a tray and picked up the tricorder she found there. No one ever comes to sickbay unless they are sick, or visiting someone who is sick. And since there were no other patients, she felt this was the former.

Reply #2
[ Heather McMillan | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TrexelCat
[Show/Hide]
When she heard the familiar sound of a photonic form being activated by the ship's hologram emitters, McMillan turned around and smiled. Working with holograms and making therapeutic pets made her particularly fond of all photonics. Adjusting her light emissions to a mere trickle, which was easy enough considering how worn out she felt, she only showed trace wisps of colourful light clouds as she moved, though her hair remained as brightly mesmerizing, floating and waving around at the slightest movements. Eve seemed to recognize her, but what she said first caused the Radiant's smile to drop.

“Oh medical emergency! N-no, goodness, no, I'm sorry,” said McMillan in an alarmed stammer, “well, not for now at least, unless we've run out of Dermazelophyne Myaxis solutions, I-I guess...” she laughed nervously, then cleared her throat, “...but I did have...an emergency of sorts, I suppose. I need to update the medical file for my particular species. The original submissions were...faked,” she cleared her throat again, and stared at the ground, blushing furiously, feeling the shame of lying weighing on her like a ton of bricks. “I submitted a new update a few weeks back, but it was only rudimentary, with very limited detailing, and no biological samples or DNA collections.”

She reached up and brushed strands of hair out of her eyes, the strands flaring out and slowly floating down until she moved her head again, wispy trails of luminiscent gas playing around her made her look like a walking aurora. “I thought it best to submit those now, and then check me out for my influenza. Which is why I need Dermazelophyne Myaxis. I know that's used more for skin treatments, but my physiology reacts differently to it. How have you been? I haven't seen you in a while.” She smiled once again at Eve.

Reply #3
[Show/Hide]

"Oh medical emergency! N-no, goodness, no, I'm sorry."

Eve smiled, and was about to say something about that when the woman continued on in her nervous state. Eve just continued to smile as the woman chattered on. As she finished, Eve internally checked the database on Dermazelophyne Myaxis, then frowned slightly.

"You do realize that is a highly potent drug. And I can't dispense that to just anyone. It can become addicting, and while you claim that that it will help with your illness, your admission that your current medical records are faked means that without more information I'm not permitted to give you that."

Eve motioned over to one of the bio beds then opened the tricorder. As she pulled out the scanner diode she continued. "I hope you have a bit of free time, because this could take a while. You could however call one of the other doctors, but note that I would be making the alteration in your medical file that the information is incorrect. Which could prevent them from acting in the correct manner." She finished that off with a smile, hoping that smile would convey that Eve means no harm by this, she's just a doctor who wants to make sure that everyone is in proper health.

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]
“It...it is? Oh.” McMillan frowned, looking puzzled. She'd taken the medication before when she was younger, and it certainly didn't feel addictive. If anything she was so repulsed she hoped she wouldn't ever have to take it again. It was why she was so careful with her health and wellbeing. As much as she could be anyway. “Uhm...y-yeah, okay...that's rather what I came here for anyway, isn't it?”

She gave the hologram a faltering smile, then nervously padded over to the bio bed, finally realizing that she'd forgotten to put on her boots again. Seating herself on the edge of the bed, she watched as Eve got to work and advised her of what was to happen. “Oh, yes,” said McMillan, “not to worry. I cleared it...because of my...” she sneezed, the sound like a cross between a startled tribble and a constipated horta. “...excuse me, because of my flu...oh and while Dermazelaphone Myaxis might be addicting to others, it's quite unpleasant to my people, but it works well as a flu vaccine. We're called Radiant!”

She started shining a little more brightly, going so far as to briefly form a golden halo over her head. She pointed at the halo and said with a grin, “Floating golden donut thingy.” Then the halo disappeared.

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]

Eve had a professional air about her, she was here to do a job. However, to soften that edge she always seemed to have a smile as long as the ship wasn't coming apart around them. She liked seeing people, even more so if she saw them when they weren't suffering from some illness or injury. As soon as Heather seated herself on the bed Eve began to pass the tricorder diode in front of the woman. Though quickly there came the hint of a frown as she looked over the readings.

"Well, it appears that your energy output is higher than the tricorder was expecting. Seems that it's interfering with the readings." She moved over to pick up a PADD, laying the tricorder and diode on the table in the PADD's place for the moment. "If it's not too much trouble, could you disrobe? There is the possibility that your clothes might be also hindering the scan results, perhaps residual energy that has soaked in." She didn't even look in Heather's direction as she said that, focused on using the PADD for the moment to wirelessly reprogram the tricorder to account for the extra energy.

It didn't even occur to Eve to bring up that there as a clean and sterile gown available for Heather to change into, most of the time when asked to disrobe other beings would immediately go for the gown so she felt there was no need to say anything to that effect.

"Oh and while Dermazelaphone Myaxis might be addicting to others, it's quite unpleasant to my people, but it works well as a flu vaccine."

Eve just smiled at that as she continued her work with the PADD. "Well, that's why you are here, no? To confirm that with updated medical records."

Reply #6
[Show/Hide]
Eyes following the diode, McMillan watched in tense silence as Eve did her work. The frown on the hologram made the Radiant nervous. On one hand, this was necessary if she was going to get medical assistance that wouldn't end in her untimely demise, but on the other hand, centuries of concealment out of a need to survive had bred in them an instinctual fear of being discovered by humans or anything human. She couldn't help feeling afraid of Eve's findings, good or bad. And it turned out to be something that fell in the potentially bad category.

“My...energy output...? It can do that? I mean...y-yeah. I suppose that's it.” She stood up and then turned her head to look at the hologram. “Disrobe? Uhm...”

She slowly stripped down, looking around to make sure no one was watching besides Eve, and blushing furiously, her light fading away as she wanted to avoid interrupting the scanners, the sooner that she could get dressed again, the better. Her hair floated about at the slightest movements, and she looked at the EMH miserably. “Yes...I-I...that is, I am.” said McMillan, “We tend to have an adverse reaction to most conventional medications, and often require alternative solutions to what might appear to be the same problems or ailments. A curious thing...how ninety-eight percent of things tend to be fatal for me and my people...Uhm...how's things been with you? I haven't actually seen you around for a while. Were you deactivated or some such? Sorry if I shouldn't ask...”

Reply #7
[Show/Hide]

Eve continued to work on the tricorder a moment longer before looking to Heather. She paused for a moment looking the woman over, observing the light changes. Eve was faster at picking things up than biological beings, able to make the connection between her stammering and the change in her lighting. She could tell the woman was nervous. Though at this point a properly trained boa constrictor could tell that the woman was nervous. She offered a smile to her, almost in a motherly manner the way one would show a child that everything was fine.

"Everything is going to be fine. It's not in my program to intentionally cause harm, as long as you are here you are safe." She then motioned towards a privacy screened area. "If you like, there's a gown available for you to change into. It's sterile so it shouldn't hinder any scans."

She then picked up the tricorder and made a quick pass of the diode past the woman just to do a preliminary test to make sure the device was re-calibrated properly. Looking over the test readings she let out a small chuckle. "You and I appear to be quite similar in some respects."

Reply #8
[Show/Hide]
Eve's smile was reassuring, and McMillan took what little comfort she could in that. She idly brushed her hair back, sending the featherweight tendrils flying everywhere. And then she felt a right fool when Eve pointed out to her that there was a gown. She could have covered up nicely instead of showing off her body to the whole universe. “Right! Thanks!” said McMillan a little more loudly than necessary, and with so much enthusiasm she could have lit a galaxy for a day. Not literally of course. She already did that once, and nearly blinded her friends and caused some damage to a whole room.

Grabbing the gown, she awkwardly dressed herself and settled back down so that Eve could continue her work. And at the hologram's remark, she frowned. “S-similar? How so?”

Reply #9
[Show/Hide]

Eve was satisfied with the modification of the Tricorder and went back to passing the diode over the woman once she sat back down. As she did, she focused on the results being displayed on the screen of the device while she spoke.

"Well, it appears that you are light based, with a bit of what the tricorder picks up as a forcefield around you. I assume it's for protection? Well, in that respect, you and I are similar. I am light based, with forcefield around me to present the illusion of solidity. Though mine is not for protection as, without it nothing would happen to me." Eve smiled a moment at that. "I mean literally, nothing. It would be impossible to touch me, or in turn for me to touch anything or anyone. Well this is interesting."

She hit a few controls on the device and looked over the results. "Huh, you appear to be.. Fragile." She raised a brow at this and hit a few more controls. "Very fragile. Sorry, don't be alarmed, this is a good thing. Trust me. Means that now I know that I can't treat you like the human you appear to be. Could potentially be fatal to you."

Reply #10
[Show/Hide]
It was certainly interesting to watch the Emergency Medical Hologram at work. But what fascinated her was how Eve seemed to draw parallels or similarities between the two of them, and it certainly made sense in a way. The force field though, now that wasn't something she was entirely familiar with. She was vaguely aware that she instinctively knew of a field of energy that she had surrounding her body from within and even mildly without, but she never really consciously thought of it. None of her people did. They were still more frail than a newborn human, though, so it wasn't like that protective field did much favours for them. Then again, they would be even worse off if not for that, so she supposed she ought to be thankful.

She nodded her head whenever spoken to, but otherwise kept silent for a moment, just smiling nervously for the most part. She was still feeling ill, and the headaches were irritating. It throbbed and came and went with pulsating intensity. On the subject about her frailty, she gave a soft, tired laugh. “Yeah, that's probably for the best,” said McMillan, “It's not 'could', it's definitely. I suppose the upside is I can jump higher than most people, and run a little bit faster. Not that I will be doing any running with my head pounding the way it is right now.”

She abruptly drew her head back and turned away from Eve to sneeze. “Oh excuse me. Ugh...I've been having this cold I just can't do anything with.”

She wondered though how Eve would consider her to be human considering that she was lighted up like a living aurora. The hue of light shifted between light blue to metallic green.

Reply #11
[Show/Hide]

Eve had entire files on the extraordinary things humans could do, so encountering one that light up like a Christmas tree didn't change anything in her mind. Though it was also due to the fact that Eve didn't 'see' like the other races on this ship. Being tapped into the ships internal sensors she saw things in that aspect. There was an apparently solid entity one meter in-front of her projection. Data indicates that the entity is five feet three inches in height and had the shape of a human. The human was giving off energy that disrupted more detailed scans of the being. But using tricorder data to refine the scan the computer could determine that other than the cold that Heather seemed to be suffering, the being was in apparent good health. Nothing broken.

"Well, the tricorder confirms that your chemistry doesn't react the same as others to Dermazelophyne Myaxis. So.."

Eve moved over to a tray that contained a device that held an assortment of hypo-canisters, with a hypospray laying next to it. She took up one of the canisters and the injector and inserted the canister before walking back over to Heather.

"You should know though, that while your medical files are being updated by this, anything you don't wish others to know will be kept in the strictest of confidence, only shared with other medical staff."

She raised the hypo-injector to the woman's neck, the computer automatically calibrating the pressure that Eve would use to hold the device in place so as not to cause damage to the frail being.

"With me, the phrase 'doctor patient confidentiality' is not just idle sentiment."

Pressing the little button she let the device inject the prescribed amount of Dermazelophyne Myaxis into Heather. She then lowered the device, placing it on the tray near where she was standing and picking up the tricorder again to monitor the drugs effects.

"Now, other than your extreme fragility, is there anything else you would like to add to your medical file? You're not allergic to the ship's carpeting? Normal food could kill you? Things like that."

In truth anyone who enters sickbay, due to the medical diagnostic systems, Eve knows exactly what species they are as long as it's on file. Even if the subject themselves does not. She can tell the difference between a Vulcan and a Romulan pretending to be Vulcan. But in that line, her program was designed to not outwardly react to that information unless it was absolutely necessary. This allowed her to prescribe proper treatment to patients that would not be fatal. So she knew Heather was different and that the medical files supplied might be incorrect, but at the same time she was to act like any other doctor and rely solely on the file presented. She could however disregard that information in times where the medical file suggested a treatment that she knew would be fatal.

((Sorry for the extremely delayed reply.))

Reply #12
[Show/Hide]
She nodded slightly as E.V.E. confirmed what she already told the Advanced EMH, and watched her pick up a hypo-spray, and she couldn't help but swallow in mild trepidation. Would Eve know how much pressure Heather could take before the application would break her bones?

“P-pardon?” said Heather, her gaze fixated on the approaching hypo, then her eyes moved up to Eve's and she processed what was said, “Uhm, I actually don't think that will be necessary. Th-the more people who understand my physiology the bette-ohh!”

She broke off mid-sentence when the hypo-spray was applied against her skin and its contents were pressured into the skin. It felt like a squeeze and a pinch that was almost painful, but before that, it stopped and she felt no more pressure on her skin, the contents of the spray now spreading through her system, combating the virus. So she hoped.

“Mmm, I can eat most human food. Haven't come across any that I can't eat just yet.” she explained, “and no....not allergic to the carpet. But like I said, most medical treatments that work for Humans have an adverse effect on me. W-would you be able to identify and record my physiology against the medications and the effect they'd have if applied to me?” The last thing she needed was a misdiagnosis while she was unconscious.

Reply #13
[Show/Hide]

Eve raised a brow, how very Vulcan of her.

"Well, I could do that. Though I really need more information on your biology and physiology than what this tricorder can give me. Even the sickbay diagnostic systems would be ill suited to handle this."

She seemed to think on this for a moment, then perked up as an idea seemed to strike.

"I have an idea, come with me to Med Lab Two. It's not being used at the moment and it has a high resolution imaging scanner. I could get all the information I would need to set the computer to work on virtually testing every medication we have onboard against your physiology. I could then add whatever is found to your medical file with a complete list of what's what."

She smiled and stepped back a step, and waited to see if Heather was going to follow.

Reply #14
[Show/Hide]
Heather's lips quirked at the Vulcan behaviour by Eve, when she raised an eyebrow. She wondered how independent an entity Eve really was. She didn't fully recall all the details now, but as she understood it, Eve was akin to Thea, or almost, since Eve lacked the positronic brain that Thea had. She looked a little disheartened when the AI informed her that she wouldn't be able to do a thorough fact-finding scan as she hoped, but beamed when Eve came up with an alternative.

“That sounds wonderful!” said Heather as she hopped off the bed she had been sitting on, and promptly lost her balance, stumbling forward like a gymnast in an earthquake. “Clumsy me!”

She was only glad it was just Eve. If anything, she could count on the AI not to judge her too harshly for her choreographic ineptitude. Settling in the Med Lab, she allowed Eve to run all the necessary diagnostics and scans and when it was done, she eagerly hopped up and stood on her tip toes, gazing at the pretty hologram with curiosity. “Got everything you need?” She asked. In the event that she was rendered unconscious for whatever reason, this would ensure she wasn't administered something that would kill her. So she felt it important to be certain that they had what they needed to help ensure the correct treatments for her. And Eve was very meticulous.

Reply #15
[Show/Hide]

Eve moved to catch the woman as she stumbled. She continued to smile as she made sure that Heather had her footing before moving off in the direction of Med Lab Two. Of course she could have just transfered herself to the lab and waited for the woman but that would be unfriendly of her. As the two of them moved into the lab, Eve motioned to the biobed at the back of the room for Heather to lay down on. Once she was situated, Eve moved over to a console and used the same configuration she had worked up for the tricorder to calibrate the scanner to account for the excess energy.

The scan took only a few moments, the benefits of having access to some of the most advanced equipment in the quadrant. Once the scan was finished she turned back to Heather with a smile.

"Well, all set. The computer has everything it needs."

She moved to offer the woman help in getting off the bed, remembering her stumble earlier. A sensation Eve has never experienced before, stumbling. She knows exactly where everything is around her, and her own exact body dimensions. Even if her image dimensions were changed, the computer would account for that and adapt her motions to accommodate.

"Computer, save biometric data to medical file McMillan H oh one. Cross reference with all available medications. Include medications not currently in stock but can be replicated and listed medications via Starfleet Medical."

The display nearest Eve changed to show a biometric graph and began overlaying different chemical compounds over the display. Data started rolling over the screen as this happened showing the different reactions to each compound. Even with the speed of the medical computer, this was obviously going to take some time since the computer was going to have to compare every compound on record that could be used for medical purposes.

Eve seemed to perk up a moment with another thought as this went on. "Computer, also include non-medical compounds. Include all known elements."

She then looked to Heather. "Who knows, we might find something that medically works for you that even you didn't know about."

She then moved to motion towards the door, as if she was waiting for the woman to take the lead.

"Don't forget your uniform."

She ended that with a smile, she was definitely not Vulcan with a smile like that. It was too genuine to be the fake smile that some Vulcan's in the medical profession might put on to put their human patients at ease.

Reply #16
[Show/Hide]
Of course Eve would be able to catch a fall like that, saving Heather from possible injury, and she conveyed her gratefulness with a smile and an embarrassed smile. The entire process didn't take too long, and the Radiant was wondering if she'd feel any different throughout the experience, though that thought was rather silly, since she well knew how these processes worked. Her own job, back when she was only a civilian on board, had been fairly similar in concept, in terms of taking samples and scans. She worked with Cir'Cie on occasion, the Vulcan being an avid botanist.

She came to with a start, her wistful thoughts taking her someplace else while Eve worked, and when spoken to, she looked up and smiled at the hologram. When she'd gotten off the bed, the AI helped her, seemingly aware of what happened before, and took that into consideration. Although she was a photonic being, Heather considered Eve to be sentient. But then, Heather liked to believe in fairy tales and unicorns too. She was fairly certain that unicorns at least, existed for real on some planet. Just like dolphins in fact weren't natives to Earth. Or was the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy telling tall stories?

She cast a glance at Eve when the hologram made a official request from the computer, and then she looked again when she made a second request, and she held a quizzical expression on her face. When Eve explained her reasoning, Heather beamed and nodded, “That is more than likely,” said the Radiant, “seeing as I'm the first of my kind to come out of hiding from advanced technology in nearly four hundred years.”

She left the room ahead of Eve, and turned around once they were outside, and she smiled gratefully at the AI, “Thank you so much,” she said, “I appreciate the help, and this probably will save my life and the life of Radiants later on. We've lived in fear of the gods on Earth so long, that we've simply continued to hide our true nature even up to now. I just hope the Wisdoms and Loremasters can understand my reasons for revealing myself after all this time. Well, excuse me, I should be on my way. Let me know if you need anything from me, yeah? Mm...okay, bye!”

She turned and scampered away, satisfied that she'd provided all that was immediately needed for now.

Simple Audio Video Embedder