Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [1230hrs.] New Meets Old (Read 3373 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [1230hrs.] New Meets Old

[ Lt Cmdr. Wenn Cinn | Security Centre | Deck 07 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Auctor Lucan @Striker N7 @Jm Von Cat 

[Show/Hide]

Cinn stood in the armory. It was time for one of the multiple meetings over the course of the day. At this point, it was to help try to integrate some of the new recruits from Resolve into the department. Ideally, Cinn would have liked to meet each one individually but with the current circumstances, he had no choice but to run some introductions together and then catch up with them all later. Some of the new additions were already out of patrol and he might not be able to see them in person for days due to schedules.

On the table in front of the burly Bajoran rested a single Type II Phaser and a Pulse Phase Pistol. Cinn had brought them out of the rack if only to provide a physical aide while he talked with his deputy.

“…Now I know you prefer the phase pistol, but honestly, I’m still at a fan of the classic.” He picked it up and turned it over in his large calloused hands. “The grip is comfortable and it’s easier to conceal.” Cinn’s mood was reasonably light, for the circumstances. He was enjoying the time with Ida, not often did they get much time to just spend together. He even joked. “With one hand tied behind our backs, I could give you a run for your latinum on the phaser range.” There was no chance, every time they had gone head to head, Ida had beaten him, but much like fighting someone twice your size, it was good practice to push yourself.

There was the sound of parting doors, and the security chief turned to see who had made it first to the meet, however there was no way to predict what he saw. In front of Cinn stood a ghost from the past. Did he have to praise the prophets or Dr Nicander this time? Scrambling for their name while he tried to process what was going on. Finally, his lips parted with the simple of sound of surprise.

"Varder?”

Re: Day 02 [1230hrs.] New meets Old

Reply #1
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Security Center | Deck 07 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Auctor Lucan  @Striker N7 @Arista
[Show/Hide]

Ridun briskly walked down the corridor towards the security center, having only recently been cleared for release from the battle sickbay on the same deck. Several thoughts flew through his mind, though most of them were rather irrelevant. Serving mostly as a background for his nervousness, a thing which in itself he had difficulty explaining. He drew a deep breath, his left hand lightly patting over the right side of his chest. As the doors to the security center parted he moved his arms behind his back, his left hand held tightly by his right. He proceeded to step through the now open door way and a few steps further before standing at attention.

"Varder?"

He turned his head slightly to look at Cinn, and responded with a short nod. "Commander Wenn..." He briefly paused to turn his attention to Ida, "Lieutenant zh'Wann. I am told it has been a while." Just past Cinn's rather burly frame Ridun was able to make out the two separate phasers, the sight was one he was fairly sure had been done before. That in itself was somewhat of a comfort, aside from these two still standing before him. It was however quite an odd feeling to note the commanders reaction, it seemed to Ridun that no time had passed at all. The opposite of that was the truth, a fact he was still coming to terms with. That and the idea he had been so close to death, he mentally shouldered those thoughts aside. Now was really not the time.

Reply #2
[ Lieutenant ThanIda zh'Wann | Armory | Security Center | Deck 07 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ]
[Show/Hide]
Standing across from Wenn Cinn, Ida had her arms folded underneath her breasts, hip cocked in scepticism to what her superior officer claimed. For her, there was no question which weapon was superior of the two on the table between them. That Wenn Cinn harboured any doubt to this obvious fact was beyond her, and as best as she might, she truly could not see why he preferred the regular issue of the Type-II. It had no sights and could only fire beams, and if she had wished to conceal her phaser, she would have applied as a field operative for Starfleet Intelligence.

When he claimed he could score better results with the regular Type-II on the range, she made an amused sound deep down in her throat, and even her white eyebrows climbed a little at hearing this new quaint notion that spilled from her superior officer's lips. "Are you quite sure the Prophets brought back the entirety of your mind, sir?"

No more had she said it than the sliding doors opened, and Ida turned towards the officer that stepped in, her stance changing to putting her hands on her hips - antennae angling towards the second Ridgenose. Then, just when Wenn Cinn said his name, Ida recognised him. Varder Ridun...

Seeing the Petty Officer brought Ida back to when she had welcomed him aboard, after Romulus and before they fled Earth. Little had either of them what laid ahead. Varder had been lost in the same battle where Wenn Cinn 'died', and she hadn't been present at his location when it happened. She had seen Wenn Cinn getting sucked out the hull breach, but she had only been told Varder was in stasis when the dust settled.

"Just over three months," she said quietly, having to to translate the Andorian calendar to the Federation's tendency of having using 30 days, and then she walked up to the Bajoran. She inclined her head to the male, antennae angling forth during the motion, instead of resorting to the Human way of clasping hands. "Are you fit for duty, or did the doctors say you need to undergo some rehabilitation for your injuries?"

While it might seem a crude thing to say, Ida's intentions were amiable. They needed able officers because of the shipboard threat of the Devoted, and since he had been in stasis since well before Sarresh Morali came aboard, there was no risk of him being one of them. Varder had always struck her as a good officer, and she really wanted him back on duty.

OOC: Arista is next, but it does make sense if Jm Von Cat posts next too? One thing that's important is that Varder needs to be on duty in the security checkpoint outside the Main Bridge at 1400 hrs. after this thread. :)

Reply #3
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Security Center | Deck 07 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Auctor Lucan  @Striker N7 @Arista
[Show/Hide]

Ridun returned the Andorian's head gesture, minus the antennae due to a prominent lack of such features. It was not an uncommon thing for him to do, mimic the greetings of others. There were a few reasons for this, but the most clear was a refusal to subject anyone to the ear holding of his own culture. He focused his attention on the lieutenant as she posed her question, answering near as soon as she finished speaking. "I am to avoid, if possible intense physical combat or heavy lifting." He offered a small shrug with so small a movement one might question if he had even moved at all. Ridun saw no reason to take offence to her words, they were practically spoken and she had always seemed the straightforward type.

After a very brief pause he continued, with a small smile upon his lips "Meaning I should avoid training with either of you for now." It was perhaps a very weak joke, but he felt the need to say it. Perhaps it could be explained as some strange way to express relief, given he was indeed very happy to find both of these people still alive. Especially after what little he had managed to catch up on, from both the captains briefing and simple conversations he happened to overhear. Ridun definitely had questions, but for now he held them. Surely whatever talk was coming would answer many of them, and if not he had no issue with asking at the tail end of things.

Throughout Ridun's speaking and minor movements he maintained his position of attention, his physical form seemed in this situation to be the middle ground between the two figures before him. Which in itself was a thought that seemed rather amusing, or perhaps the word was interesting, for the commander and his deputy could hardly seem more different, yet they worked effectively together. An excellent example for the rest of the department to follow, although that thought began to follow more into minds than matter. Then again, Ida was a good example of how small can beat tall, an idea which was more than likely the more amusing side of things.

Reply #4
[ Lt. ThanIda zh'Wann & Lt Cmdr. Wenn Cinn | Armory | Security Center | Deck 07 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ]
Attn: 1) @Jm Von Cat  2) @Striker N7 

Hearing the modest answer from Varder, Ida smiled faintly and shook her head. "I'm certain you will make a quick recovery," she said, and turned to look a Wenn Cinn, who stepped towards the long lost officer.

"I'm sure you have already heard the rumours," he said in his deep, rumbling voice as he looked into the fellow Bajoran's eyes. "And it is true. I was brought back by the Prophets for reasons I cannot fathom myself. I too, was lost in the same battle as you were, only you had the fortune of remaining inside the hull of the ship. This is a strange voyage we are on, the mission grave, but the longer we fight these usurpers, the more I begin to find hope in what I see."

Ida saw Cinn putting one big hand on to of Varder's shoulder. "And seeing you returning is such a sight. Fine, resign to administrative duties for the time being, but soon, I expect you'll be defending this ship actively again."

Hearing this, Ida's antennae rose - realising something. "Because of the virus outbreak, we have a vacancy in the next shift on Deck 01, in the security checkpoint. Do you feel ready to take on that duty?"

Cinn looked at her, nodding slowly before returning his eyes to Varder. The Chief of Security was likely worried about the Devoted, but the likelihood that they would try to do something there again was doubtful, since they had already had a member of theirs killing Edena Rez and Aisha S'iti. The former of which Ida still had to come to terms with, given what had happened between them in the past.

"If you are," rumbled Cinn to Varder and folded his brawny arms across his chest, "I need to know if you have been appraised of the Devoted."

Reply #5
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Security Center | Deck 07 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Auctor Lucan  @Striker N7 @chXinya
[Show/Hide]
Ridun offered a small appreciative nod to Ida's words on his recovery, he hoped much the same. The idea of doing less than others or simply being unable to do his job was not one he found himself overly fond of.

The next sentences spoken from Commander Cinn caught him off guard, oh sure he had heard a rumor or two, not that he strictly believed them. Hearing it in this way however, was different and somewhat surreal and not something Ridun particularly wanted to linger on. An idea which would have shown in a faint look of uncertainty flashing across his face.

It was fortunate that Cinn continued, holding his tongue had often come in useful for simply bypassing certain moments when he would simply rather not.  Although, at "I expect you'll be defending this ship actively again" he did offer a "Yes Sir" accompanied by a light grin and a small nod of the head. The next sentence was not quite expected, although it was not unwelcome either, bridge security was not a bad shift station. Unless someone actually attempted to storm the bridge, which he thought an unlikely occurrence at this time.

"I need to know if you have been appraised of the Devoted." A name he had heard muttered in conversations, but nothing more. It was however a rather strange name, one that grabbed his curiosity. "No Sir, I may have overslept the last security brief and am likely out of date on several points." His answer was only the truth, although he was trying to make light of his recent situation. It was about the only way he knew of dealing with it.

Reply #6
[Lt. Commander Wenn Cinn | Security Center | Vector 2 | Deck 7 | USS Theurgy]

Wenn couldn’t help but chuckle at Varder’s little quip.  “A part of me wishes I was taking a nap right now myself, they’re making a mess on board.”  Stepping back to grab a chair, the Chief motioned for both of his officers to sit.  “I don’t know how much you know about our Lt. Morali, so I’ll start there.” he started.

“I don’t know the full story of the situation around Niga, but he instrumental in resolving it.  Later, while the ship was being repaired on Theta Eridani he was severely injured, apparently so much that he wasn’t expected to survive.  The Captain needed him alive though so Dr. Nicander came up with some radical surgery get him back on his feet.”  There wasn’t a lot of detail there, but it’s not like Varder needed everything right up front, he was bound to hear the rest of the story before too long.

Leaning back and pressing his fingers together in front of him, Cinn glanced at Ida in case she had anything else to add there.  Continuing on, “The Devoted first came to light when the Simulcast turned out to have been changed.  While everyone was reacting to that the culprit behind the switch stormed the bridge and threatened Morali, which lead to a Devoted who was on the Bridge at the time to attack, killing the culprit before they could be apprehended.”  Cinn’s voice wavered a bit here, while he himself was on Starbase 84 and therefore not a witness, the bodily end for Edena was still a sore point on his pagh.

“From there these Devoted have switched to minor terror tactics in an attempt to get their way, usually in the form of ambushing and physically threatening or outright assaulting people who don’t do what they want or help with their cause.”  With a sigh, he put his hands on his knees and leaned forward slightly.  “The maddening part in all this is the fact that we don’t know how many there are, and if this is an actual growing religious movement, some form of mental manipulation from forces unknown, or just people breaking under pressure.”

Reply #7
[ Lt. ThanIda zh'Wann | Armory | Security Center | Deck 07 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: 1) @Jm Von Cat  2) @Striker N7 
[Show/Hide]
Seated on the opposite side from Cinn, Ida didn't have much more to add, at least not information that would be crucial for Varder Ridun. What little details known mattered little, so she frowned in thought before raising her voice.

"I would wager on the latter," she said, her eyes resting on the two hand phasers on the table as she spoke. "This crew has been through a lot before and after the two of you were lost, and some are pinning their hopes on this individual that has served on a timeship. A ship that came to our aid at the end of the Niga Incident."

Ida was never keen on speaking of those events, because of the role she had played. It was a comfort that neither of them had experienced what her infected self had wrought upon the crew, even if the Captain's edict about those events were supposed to lift any responsibility from her shoulders. Recently, memories had begun to return to her, surfacing when facing some of those she had been with, Nathaniel Isley being one of them. She was grateful that he had returned to the Lone Wolves. She did not wish for him to be there and remind her of her failure as a security officer. She was supposed to protect the crew. She had sworn it, and she had done quite the opposite.

"Morali has yet to deal with his cult personally, and I am inclined to think he does not want to. The report he submitted to us after the battle of Starbase 84 was... Perplexing. He did not seem in any right state of mind, claiming that when the prisoner Sonja Acreth was lost through the... hole she made in the temproal observatory, during the battle, she had set something in motion. The Temporal Affairs Officer mentioned cycles repeating themselves. By Lor'Vela, I could not make any sense of it, but I think his following would call it prophecy."

Looking towards Varder, Ida shook her head dismissively. "Just do your duty and concern yourself not with these fanatics. That is, unless they try to breach the bridge's security perimeter, in which case you know your duty. The bridge crew cannot be victims to a shipboard threat. Our duty is to make sure they are safe and able to run this ship."

Glancing towards Wenn Cinn, she added to Varder the obvious after such a rare briefing as he'd heard. "Any questions?"

Edit: Striker N7 excluded so that we can finish this thread. Next in posting order is Jm Von Cat

Re: Day 02 [1230hrs.] New Meets Old

Reply #8
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Security Center | Deck 07 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Auctor Lucan  @chXinya
[Show/Hide]
Varder drew a deep breath, his vision focusing down and to the right as he mulled over this information. His eyes found and located some object, the leg of a chair, of which they tracked the outline. Perhaps an odd sight, but one regularly done by him and if anyone had ever asked the answer was a simple "It helps with thinking".  A few short seconds later his vision flicked back up, directing its attention back towards his two superiors.

The two had posed a lot of information, although some things may have been intentionally left out. There was always one sure way to find out. "Lieutenant zh'Whan, you mentioned a viral outbreak. What do I need to know in order to keep the potentially sick off the bridge?" There he paused, waiting for the answer which should come from either one of them. Or perhaps not if there was nothing known yet, but this was the purpose of the question in general.

Having heard the answer and let a few seconds drag by before his next, Varder spoke again. "Last question, what sort of armament do we expect these Devoted to have?" Standard question, although this was a rather non standard situation. Perhaps something out of the ordinary was around? Although, Varders hope was very much that this already strange situation did not mean there were armed cultists. From his own experience cults don't ever end out to well.

The thought had briefly crossed his mind to ask about Niga, but it was not particularly relevant to the immediate briefing nor to the current shipboard situation. Everything might have some roots there but the situation seemed to have far outgrown those beginnings. Another thought had gone through his mind, one that was mildly upsetting. How could star-fleet personnel be so damn foolish as to create whatever was going on?

Reply #9
[ Lt. ThanIda zh'Wann | Armory | Security Center | Deck 07 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Jm Von Cat  @chXinya
[Show/Hide]
When Varder Ridun asked about the outbreak and what to do about it, Ida folded her arms underneath her breasts and cocked a hip in thought - looking towards the deck plates for a moment.

"Little is known for certain, but it seems likely the Resolve crew brought a virus aboard the Theurgy during their mid-battle evacuation. Hearsay is that it might be called Virus 117, but the symptoms are pretty recognisable. Swelling of hands and losing one's sense of touch, but there might be other secondary symptoms too depending on the species affected. Some species, Bajorans not included, experience near fatal symptoms, but its clear that the three sickbays are completely full with both patients injured in the battle and victims of the outbreak. Many are confined to quarters too, since there is simply no room left."

Looking up, Ida unfolded her arms and put her hands on her hips, looking the man in the eye. "Protocol for these situations is that you ask whomever wish to gain access to the bridge area if they feel any symptoms reminiscent to the symptoms, yet the bridge staff themselves have already been cleared by medical. There is only so much you can do, but if you are unsure, you better ask for a nurse to come to the security checkpoint and scan the visitor. Fortunately, as you know, visitors are rare up there."

Ida fell silent then, and glanced towards Wenn Cinn, thinking that he had the latest intel on the potential armament of the Devoted. The only report she had was that the Devoted had tried to come across the phasers in the Fighter Assault Bay by wanting to recruit Lieutenant Ravon, who was next in line for the SCO position. Ravon had acted in self defence, yet lost his fellow pilot Evelyn Rawley to a stasis chamber since the Devoted managed to cut her throat. Ravon had killed Devoted in that incident, and Ida had yet to follow up on the report, and she didn't know if the Lieutenant had used excessive force or not.

If someone close to her aboard the Theurgy had her throat cut, she could sympathise with the use of deadly force, since the Lieutenant might as well have been next in line to die. In the end, as far as Ida knew, only the Devoted hidden in their own ranks in Security had access to their own phasers, whereas the rest used replicated, small melee weapons.

Reply #10
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Security Center | Deck 07 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Auctor Lucan  @chXinya
[Show/Hide]
Ida was the one to answer his question about this Virus making its way around the ship, swollen and numb hands, a rather odd effect but at least a rather easy one to detect. It was slightly odd to hear of its seemingly wide variety of effect dependent on species, although he supposed it was to be expected, after all he is not the expert on cross species viral.. things. Whatever the wording for that was.

And then there was the standard mention of protocol, it was nice to know some things never really change. Especially given all that had apparently changed in the time after his injury and before his all to recent awakening and recovery. At least Ida was very much correct, it was rather uncommon to have visitors pass through the security center. That is aside from bridge staff whom she had already said were cleared, that should all make that job that much easier. Although, that is not to say it was not already an easy job, more or less just be present to deter any potential threat.

Varder flicked his eyes to commander Cin, following where Ida had cast a glance at his next question. It was a sincere hope of his that these cultists did not have any significant armaments, it would hopefully restrict their actions and potentially limit any "Final effort" they may or may not try.

Reply #11
[Lt. Commander Wenn Cinn | Security Center | Vector 2 | Deck 7 | USS Theurgy] attn: @Jm Von Cat @Auctor Lucan

“Honestly, we don’t know just what the Devoted will use as weaponry.  All of the heavier weapons are under a tight lock of course, and even security officers have to check their weapons in and out at the beginning and end of each shift respectively.”  Cinn stood and paced a few steps, the full gravity of things weighing him down too much to stick to a chair.  “That just leaves knives, clubs, hyposprays, or other assorted makeshift weapons.  Worse,” the chief stopped and gave his fellow Bajoran a knowing look, “we’ve got a ship full of very inventive people.  In the end, there’s no telling just what they might bring to bear.  Forgive me for saying so, but in a way it’s like our time in the Resistance, back during the Occupation, only from the other side.”

The dark-skinned Bajoran frowned at the comparison, but if the Devoted were adamant about attaining their goals by any means necessary, then there was no telling what lengths they would go.  ”Sobering thought, I know, but it’s the truth.” he finally admitted out loud, ending his pacing and standing tall.  “Prophets willing, they’ll come to their senses and stop this madness, but until then it’s up to us to make sure the crew can keep this ship running.  Both crews have been through a lot, so it’s understandable that everyone’s on edge, but that’s no excuse for all this chaos.”

Reply #12
[ Lt. ThanIda zh'Wann | Armory | Security Center | Deck 07 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Jm Von Cat  @chXinya
[Show/Hide]
"Agreed," said Ida, her frown having deepened as Wenn Cinn spoke of the current situation. She took a deep breath and shifted her stance towards Varder, putting her hands on her hips. It was good to see him back on his feet again, but duty called. For all three of them.

"I'll oversee the patrols on Vector 02. Varder, make sure you inform us if its too soon for you to complete your duty shift on Deck 01." She took a few steps towards the exit, leaving the two Ridgenoses behind. "Lor'Vela knows the situation you've woken up to is hardly ideal, with little time to reminisce. Perhaps there is time this evening, unless the Devoted attacks another officer. Take care of yourself out there."

Ida regretted that they could not offer a fellow Security officer a better welcome back to the living, but as it were, all three Vectors were like tinderboxes, and only they could stop them from blowing up from inside. Before she left, antennae shifting along with her eyes, she traded a look with Wenn Cinn. His worries had truly mirrored her own.

- FIN

OOC: Let me know if you two want the Bajorans to continue a chat on their own and I will remove the FIN, otherwise, I'll lock it down. :)

Simple Audio Video Embedder