Skip to main content

• 2019-04-02: Exiting development in the story! The Battle of the Apertures has ended, and the Epilogue is in full throttle. A new Crew Manifest has been annouced, so make sure you read up on the development in the Main OOC thread!
  • 2019-02-13: Please welcome back, IronFerrox, in the Main OOC thread! He is a returning Theurgist of old.
  • 2019-02-04: Please welcome our newest Theurgist, Lex Dalton, on the Main OOC board!
  • 2018-12-17: Did you know that you can change the ship displayed on the site in your Look and Layout settings? Pick your favourite ship or warp fighter! You can also add writing requests to your Forum Profile.
  • 2018-12-17: If you check your character page, and click on the Academy Class link at the bottom of the page, you can see who your character went to the Academy with. Perfect for Director's Cut board shenanigans!

Topic: Escape Of The Apache (Read 565 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Escape Of The Apache
Reply #25
[ Samala | Hawk-class Runabout | Asteroid Field | Bacury System ]

Samala had watched as her brother had kept himself busy. She had sat next to the access panel to the cloaking device and watched as he serviced every disruptor, counted the photon torpedoes cleaned the ship and cooked meals for both her and himself. When he had asked her if she wanted him to clean her own weapons, she had snapped at him, telling him she was busy and to leave her alone.

In hindsight, Samala knew that he didn't deserve that reaction from her. He was in probably as much pain as she was. He had lost his father as well as a woman he had come to consider a 2nd mother. She could have peeked, if she had wanted too. But that would mean she would have to open herself up and that she didn't want to do.

So she fiddled. The cloak itself only really needed a few hours to fix but she had managed to stretch that out into almost 36 hours. She had stopped to rest in that time but hadn't really slept as she was awoken by nightmares of her parents dying in front of her. She hadn't known if she had screamed in her sleep and her brother hadn't said anything; respecting her wishes to be left alone.

But eventually, she cracked. She had seen her brother staring at the entrance to the hold, watching her and realised that he probably had nothing else to do. Wondering what that left him with, Samala sobbed uncontrollably as her minder wandered back to what the two of them had lost.

She had heard her brother pad across the deck to where she sat but only reacted after he had laid a hand on her shoulder. Sitting up, she wrapped her arms around her brother's neck and hugged him for all she was worth. And her brother, he returned her hug.
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Lt. JG Donna 'Chance' Petterson [Show/Hide]
PO1 Mickayla MacGregor [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #26
[ Tesserarius Lorad & Samala | Hawk-class Runabout | Asteroid Field | Bacury System ] 
[Show/Hide]

"What do we do now?" Samala asked quietly from with her brother's arms. Neither of them had said a word in several minutes as they hugged, foregoing words to seek as much solace as possible from their sibling.

"I don't know," Lorad responded after a moment. "Everything is different now."

"I want to kill something," Samala declared adamantly.

"But we can't," Lorad responded. "We're one ship and two people surrounded by Romulan space. We have no known safe-haven and no way to locate one. There is only one place that we know of that could harbour us."

"The Klingons," Samala reasoned, her emotions simmering.

"The Klingons," Lorad confirmed as he released his sister and stepped back so he could look down at her. "But you know as well as I do how far away they are. It's a long, unsafe journey and there is just the two of us and this ship. We'll have to rely on each other."

"So no more 'not talking to anyone' events?" Samala asked somewhat rhetorically.

"Not if we can help it," Lorad responded, smiling softly. "I know it hurts Samala, and I wish I could say that it would get better and hurt less."

"But it doesn't" Samala interjected.

"No, it doesn't," Lorad confirmed. "But it does get easier to deal with."

"I hope so," Samala practically whispered.

"Trust me," Lorad proclaimed firmly. "Now, about that cloak."
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #27
[ Tesserarius Lorad & Samala | Hawk-class Runabout | Asteroid Field | Bacury System ]  
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 1 - Mid-Afternoon

"I'm done," Samala declared as she straightened up from her previous position leaning into the access panel for the cloaking device. "The cloak should work now."

"Should work sister?" Lorad asked carefully from where he sat nearby, leaning on a crate. "You realise that if it doesn't work, we'll be seen by everyone."

"Well unless you want to go outside and have a look, brother," Samala retorted, gazing at Lorad. "Should, is the best you are going to get."

"Do we have a suit for me to go and check?" Lorad deadpanned. The look he was giving his sister caused her to chuckle, helping to relieve some of the stress she was under.

"No, we don't," she responded after a moment. "All the systems' checks and diagnostics tell me that the cloak is functioning at 100%. So short of going outside and looking at the cloak, we have established is not something that either of us can do, the cloak is working."

"So, we have a functioning cloak, a full complement of weapons and ordnance but only enough supplies for 12 days for the both of us," Lorad listed. "Our top speed is?"

"Warp 6 nominal," Samala answered instantly. "Warp 7 if I push the drive to its limit. But we could only do that for maybe 10 hours. Why?"

"We'll have to resupply somewhere than," Lorad pointed out. "We don't have enough to get to Klingon space safely. Even with rationing."

"Do you know where we can get supplies from?" Samala asked.

"I do," Lorad confirmed slowly. "There are two places. But neither of them is a good option for us."
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #28
[ Tesserarius Lorad & Samala  | Hawk-class Runabout | Atmosphere | Bacury III ] 
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 1 - Mid-Afternoon

"Well, we can forget about our first option for resupply," Samala declared as she looked at the sensor readings that were showing on one of her screens.

"It was a long shot anyway, though a safer one," Lorad pointed out as she looked at the same screen. Approximately 10km below them, a platoon of Romulan soldiers was pouring into the main entrance tunnel of what had once been a secondary supply cache and watch bunker. Its usefulness as a base had decreased as the main installation had expanded but it had been maintained as a supply cache and training waypoint. "Time to go," Lorad announced as he sat down at the engineering station.

"Not yet," Samala countered as she brought the Hawk around. 

"Samala, what are you doing?" Lorad asked his sister.

"Giving them what they deserve," Samala replied icily as she lined up the ship with the entrance tunnel of the base below. Before her brother could react, she began accelerating towards bunker. When she got within 3 kms, she decloaked, shunting the energy from the cloak to the main disruptor cannon and once it was charged a moment later, fired several full power pulses. She watched as those pulses impacted the area around the base, one of them even entering the tunnel to bathe the interior in fire, before powering down the cannon and recloaking. As they sped away, Samala turned to look at her brother. "Worth it."

"Perhaps," Lorad grumbled, understanding Samala's actions. "How long to get there?"

"At warp 5, 4 days," Samala answered, already laying in the course.
  • Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:26:10 PM by Stegro88
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #29
[ Samala & Tesserarius Lorad | Hawk-class Runabout | At Warp ]
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 4 - Morning

"Keep your guard up," Lorad directed as he struck out at his sister again. They had been sparring for half an hour already and just as had happened in each of their prior sessions, Samala's mind was beginning to wander. As her attention waned, her guard dropped and Lorad took advantage of it; after warning her of course. This time would be no different.

"My guard is up," Samala proclaimed as she lunged forward, her knife blade leading. But Lorad was prepared for such an emotional attack and sidestepped while bringing his own knife around, aiming for a rear neck slice. But Samala refused to cooperate, rolling around Lorad further and stabbing upwards. Lorad was forced to continue his turn and change his strike into a block to defend himself. He succeeded but it was a close thing as Samala straightened and stepped back. "I almost had you that time brother."

Lorad said nothing, instead stepping forward and, with his right leg outstretched, dropped into a sweeping kick. Samala's reaction, given her lacklustre attention, was predictable as she jumped into the air to avoid the attack. And that was when Lorad struck true. Pushing off the deck with his sweeping leg, Lorad flung himself around completely, his right arm coming up to lash out at his still airborne sister. He could had struck her with his full strength but the Reman wanted to educate his sibling, not hurt her. Instead, he shoved her hard enough to send her flying across the room, impacting the deck and sliding some more until her momentum bled away. Samala lay still, catching her breath as her brother walked over and held out his hand for her.

"Almost is not enough," Lorad said simply, his point made.

"Yeah yeah," Samala intoned, accepting her brother's hand before he pulled her to her feet.
  • Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:26:32 PM by Stegro88
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #30
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 4 - Noon

"So how close was I?" Samala asked after swallowing her mouthful. They had sparred for another half an hour before stopping. Now, after each had showered, they were sitting down to enjoy lunch. With the ship at warp and only the two of them about, they had had to find someway to pass the time. Naturally, they chose to fight.

"You were closer than you have been in a long time," Lorad replied, stopping his eating to consider his answer carefully. "But you still reacted emotionally. Emotions in combat will get you killed."

"So, I am supposed to be some kind of unemotional Borg drone then and care nothing for those around me?" Samala challenged.

"You know what I meant Samala," Lorad chastised. "It is one of the first lessons our father would have taught you," Lorad reminded his sister. "No matter what you are feeling in your heart, fear, anger, frustration, none of that wins fights. It fuels them, and the fighters in them but it is your head that wins fights. Use your emotions to make you stronger, faster, more resilient but always stay in control. You are the centre of the storm that rages around you. But you are serene."
  • Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:25:48 PM by Stegro88
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #31
[ Samala | Hawk-class Runabout | At Warp ]
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 4 - Afternoon

"4 days. 4 days since the Romulans came. 4 days since the attack. 4 days since they died," Samala thought to herself as she stared at the bulkhead above her as she lay on her bunk. "Feels like an instant and forever all at the same time."

She had needed some time to think. About what her brother had said to her. About the past and all the events in it. And what the future might hold for her. They'd reach their second resupply option early the next morning and Samala knew, if only by the place's reputation, that it would not be an easy place to visit. There was a reason they had always sent at least a dozen Remans when they had had to come here.

Now it was just her and her brother. They would have to do things differently. They could leave the ship hidden somewhere, and use the transporters to get in and out. And some long-hooded cloaks would help to conceal their identities. But there were still so many things that could go wrong.

Leaning to the side, Samala reached out and drew her knife from its sheath on her gun belt. Custom made, she held it up above her and stared at the deadly curves of the blade.

"If all else fails," she whispered softly. "This never has."
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #32
[ Tesserarius Lorad | Hawk-class Runabout | At Warp ]
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 4 - Afternoon

"Tomorrow is going to be rough," Lorad thought to himself as he sat in the cockpit monitoring the sensors. It was a mostly pointless exercise; they were cloaked and at warp. But it gave him something to do and he needed the distraction. 

"So much had happened since I was woken up that morning. And we haven't stopped since. So much to process and no time to do it,"
Lorad considered, his mind wandering and reliving recent events. "Should I go and speak with my sister? Or leave her be for the time being?"

Lorad, despite his efforts, had never gotten as close to his sister as he would have liked. He put it down to a combination of missing the better portion of her life while he was stuck on Remus while also feeling like he was responsible for awakening his sister's telepathy. Logically speaking, he knew that that wasn't the case, that the ability awoke at random, but that it was his memories of a violent battle that she saw first, leaving an irremovable mark on her soul; he had never forgiven himself for that.

[It was not your fault brother. You know this,] Samala's voice rang within his head.

"I still feel like it is," Lorad explained, rather pointlessly in hindsight.

[I do not blame you brother, no one does...did,] Samala said. 

"Are you alright?" Lorad asked simply, ignoring the oddity of speaking to an empty cockpit.

[No,] Samala responded, her mental voice softening. [But I will be. And then we can talk about it.]

"I'll be here," Lorad promised.

Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #33
[ Samala & Tesserarius Lorad | Hawk-class Runabout | At Warp | Bacury System ]
[Show/Hide]
Escape Day 4 - Evening

"What can you tell me about where we are going?" Samala asked as the siblings sat in the cargo hold, lent up against a crate and ate. "I know of this place, but I have never been myself."

"With good reason," Lorad declared firmly. "We never came here without at least a dozen shock troops and half of us stayed with the ship at all times. We may have come here to get supplies and equipment, but we never trusted the Syndicate. Never have, never will. Only a fool trusts them."

"I understand that brother," Samala said, setting down her drink. "What I am asking is, is there anything that you can tell me that will help us get though dealing with them. I already planned to hide the ship, either in orbit or on the ground somewhere and we can get around using the transporters. But what do we do about us inside?"

"We be very careful about who we talk to and what we do," Lorad began carefully. "We try not to be seen. Enough people walk around with their identities concealed that two more won't matter."

"I can replicate us a couple of cloaks," Samala interjected.

"Good. And lastly," Lorad continued. "We control ourselves. There will be any number of people there, some of them enemies. But we cannot afford to start anything. Am I clear?"
  • Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:24:56 AM by Stegro88
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #34
[Show/Hide]

Escape Day 4 - Evening

"There will be Romulans there?" Samala asked, her voice controlled. Since the attack and death of her parents, the very thought of Romulans made her blood boil. She knew that the very sight of them would make her want to spill their green blood upon the ground where they stood. It was what her heart would demand even if her head said otherwise.

"Very likely," Lorad confirmed, watching his sister and trying to judge her reaction. "They do not discriminate against their clientele and the Romulans use it for many purposes. Some legal, some not."

"The Tal Shiar will be there?" Samala questioned, her voice hardening slightly. They had discussed it earlier and the siblings were in agreement that the Tal Shiar had some sort of hand in the attack at Bacury III. They may not have been present, but they knew of it.

"I don't know," Lorad stated. "Best to assume that they are and act accordingly. This place's proximity was always a boon for us in a way. It made getting supplies and equipment easier. But now it will be dangerous for us for that very same reason. We must be cautious."

"I can be cautious," Samala stated firmly, her mind listing the different ways that she knew of to kill Romulans, both quickly and slowly.

It was not a short list.
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]