Skip to main content
Topic: CH04: S [D03|2030] Counting Wolves (Read 3066 times) previous topic - next topic

CH04: S [D03|2030] Counting Wolves

Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day 03 | 2030 hrs. ] Counting Wolves

[ Lt Cmdr Thomas Ravon | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn  , @Doc M.

After the flight deck was secure and the ships were towed in the right place, the Hangar deck looked a bit more like it used to be, ignoring the Asurian saucer in the middle of it. Deck hands were dismantling it before they'd compartmentalize it for storage. The flight deck had been in eed of some repairs after that and teams were working around the clock to get the fighter Assault Bay back to full glory.

Thomas was standing in the office of Miles Renard, his former SCO and thus technically his own office now. It still felt weird to be cooped up in it as he drank a warm cup of coffee. The empty slots a reminder of the losses they had suffered once more after the tragic encounter against the Versant. He had asked Thea, whom sounded pretty lifeless to outright sterile to call for Tessa May Lance and Daniel Havenborn. The two pilots were part of the away team which had given them the much needed dilithium for escape. However, it gnawed at Thomas that even the away team had suffered losses. Zrinka had been reported MIA and whilst he could simply wait for the post mission reports, he wanted to hear from the pilots what exactly had happened.

The door of his office was open whilst the sound of repairs and hard physical work echoed through the hangar bay. Two seat had been placed in front of the desk for both pilots. In the meantime Thomas just stood by the window looking out at the fighter bay as he warmed himself with the cup.

Re: Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day 03 | 2030 hrs. ] Counting Wolves

Reply #1
[ Tessa May Lance, callsign:  Goldeneye | Sonic Showers/Locker Room | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 02 | Deck 16 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Nolan, @Havenborn

Meanwhile, Lieutenant (junior grade) Tessa May Lance, callsign:  Goldeneye was kneeling on the floor of the sonic shower, her forehead resting on the tiled floor.  Her knees were tucked under her stomach and her forearms resting on either side of her face to block out the light.  A gurgled snore escaped her as the relaxing, repetitive massage of the sonic shower created the ‘white noise’ necessary for total relaxation.  For all intents and purposes, she was dead to the world. 

After returning from the long and harrowing away mission to the overwhelming and futile battle against the Versant and its Asurian armada Tessa was spent and was looking forward to spending the next twelve hours in her own bed.  That desire was thwarted by the separation of the Theurgy’s stardrive vectors; the junior officer’s quarters were on the Helmet that was now light years away from her.  Her secondary plan had been to find an empty biobed in sickbay; after action examinations were standard following a battle, but sickbay had been cordoned off by security and when she was finally allowed in they were too busy to see a someone who could walk in under their own steam anyway.  Her next option would be to go to one of the holodecks on Deck Eight and sleep on a holographic representation of a bed.  Nobody had time for the holodeck this soon after a battle and as long as power wasn’t diverted away to someplace more important she should have a holodeck all to herself for hours. 

But first she decided she’d take a shower while her uniform was in the replicator since she didn’t want the holodeck to shut off while she was in the middle of a shower.   She was only going to spend one moment in the shower but the invisible massage against her skin was so relaxing and the gentle thrum of the soundwaves blocked everything out…  It was just so relaxing that she knelt down in the shower for just a little bit, just to get off her feet…  Zzzzzzzzz.

Beepadeepbeepbeep!

Tessa was rudely awakened by an irritating beeping noise.  ”Buh?  Whuh?  Huh?” she snorted as she tried to move her stiff and naked body.

[Lieutenant Lance, it is time to get up.  You have a meeting in the squadron commander’s office at 20:30] Thea’s disembodied voice reported without a trace of emotion.

“Go away…” she moaned as she crawled around on the floor of the shower and tried to avoid getting muscle spasms. 

A bright chirpy tune was heard in the locker room as Tessa painfully stretched out on the floor.

[Lieutenant Lance, it is time to get up.  You have a meeting in the squadron commander’s office at 20:30] Thea’s disembodied voice repeated.

“Guh, whatever…” Tessa muttered as she rolled onto her back.

The loud obnoxious sounds of a brass band playing a marching tune thundered through the locker room.

“Ah!  Okay  I’m awake!  I’m awake!” she cried.  “Computer, disengage wakeup call!”

The music ceased immediately.

“AAAH!” Tessa screamed.  “Cramp!  Cramp!  Muscle cramp!” she chirped as she furiously massaged her leg.  After several painful tries, she was hopping on one leg to her locker.  “Ow!  Ooh!  Ooh!  Ow-ow-ow-owie!” she exclaimed as she opened her locker and extracted a small device and placed it against her aching thigh.  “Ooh, that’s better.  Computer what time is it?”

[At the sound of the beep it will be 20:28.]  There was a short pause before Thea’s disembodied voice added [beep,] quietly.

“What?  Oh no, I’m late!  Why didn’t I give myself more time?” she wailed as she pulled a female duty uniform with the optional skirt from her locker.  

She was halfway down the hall passing the squadron briefing room when she realized that she had put her uniform on backwards.  Grunting in frustration, she wriggled her arms out of the sleeves so she could pull her uniform up to her neck and turn it around when she bumped into Lieutenant Daniel Roman Havenborn, callsign ‘Salvo’, who was also on his way to the squadron commander’s office.  This was awkward.  Salvo had only been aboard for three days and they really didn’t know each other. 

“Oh, uh, hi Salvo!” she chirped.  “You go first.  Won’t be a moment!” she added with a sheepish grin.

Reply #2
[ LT Daniel Havenborn, Callsign: Salvo | Deck 16, Fighter Assault Bay | USS Theurgy, Vector 2 ] Attn: @Nolan, @Doc M.

Daniel had been looking forward to his downtime as he had plans with Riley in the holodeck.  He hoped that this meeting with Commander Ravon would be fast and only be a simple after action review, there were advantages to not being an SCO now and while he did miss being in command he didn’t really envy Ravon’s position.  Since they had gone to standby Daniel had been working on his report of the away mission when he had gotten the summons to report to Commander Ravon.  He had been sitting in the bay proper near his fighter and slowly got up as he made his way towards the SCO’s office.

The FAB was slowly beginning to get back to normal, at least what passed for normal on this ship.  He could see the technicians hard at work; his fighter was being prepped for the work that would start tomorrow, weapon attachments being removed, the power core being disengaged, etc, some of the technicians were taking apart the alien saucer-ship, other technicians were cleaning up the bay, and still a few others working on repairing and rearming the fighters.  He made his way into the corridor that lead to the SCO’s office and as he slowed down he felt someone bump into him.  He looked at her as she seemed to be struggling with her uniform.

He smiled at her and nodded.  “Don’t be too long Lieutenant.”  Daniel said as he walked into Ravon’s office.  “Lieutenant Daniel Roman Havenborn reporting as ordered sir.”  Daniel said as he snapped to attention in front of Commander Ravon.
Defeat, Genocide; why quibble with semantics.

Reply #3
[ Lt Cmdr Thomas Ravon | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn   , @Doc M. 

Daniel Havenborn was the first pilot to appear in the office as his standard welcome and snap into attention made Thomas turn his head and look at the man. He turned towards him and saluted him casually "At ease lieutenant, take a seat. We'll just wait for lieutenant Lance. "he said as he walked back to the replicators. He refilled his cup with the blend of coffee he preferred and which was custom saved into the replicator. It came closest to a vanilla bean macchiato and once the mug was filled Thomas placed it on his desk before looking Daniel over "Drink lieutenant?" he offered as lieutenant Tessa May Lance appeared as well. Her outfit this time correctly worn.

"Ah lieutenant Lance, take a seat. I was offering Daniel a drink, would you like one too?" he asked her as he walked back to the replicator in case any of them wanted a drink. After producing anything they'd want he replicated a few biscuits as well as he hadn't eaten anything since his return to the ship. He sat down at his desk, looking over the two officers with a tired, yet serious look on his features. "Lets get to the point shall we. Whilst I could wait for your after action reports, I want to hear personally what happened on the away mission. Most importantly, I want to know why we're one wolf short." he kicked it off as he leaned back in his chair.

Reply #4
[ Tessa May Lance, callsign:  Goldeneye | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 02 | Deck 16 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Nolan, @Havenborn

“Lou, Lieutenant Lance reporting for duty Tom… I mean sir!” Tessa chirped as she entered the office. 

It had only been two days since the Lone Wolves’ former squadron commander, Lieutenant Commander Miles Renard, callsign ‘Iron-Fox’, was lost at the battle at Starbase 84.  Deep down, Tessa still thought of this as his office.  For her, Thomas Ravon was just ‘Tom’ or ‘Razor’, not ‘sir’ and certainly not ‘commander’.   As a matter of fact, she and everyone else aboard the Theurgy had written him off as missing in action and presumed dead after their final confrontation with the Calamity and no one expected him to return at Starbase 84 just when everyone needed him most.

"Ah Lieutenant Lance, take a seat. I was offering Daniel a drink, would you like one too?"

”Oh um, yes please, some coffee would be nice,” she replied as she straightened her skirt and sat down.  “It’s been such a long day that I’m having a rough time keeping my eyes open.”

After everybody had a drink and a plate of biscuits the new squadron commander got down to business.

"Let’s get to the point shall we?  Whilst I could wait for your after action reports, I want to hear personally what happened on the away mission. Most importantly, I want to know why we're one wolf short. "

“Oh uh, I really don’t know,” Tessa burbled as she plucked a biscuit off his desk.  When had she last eaten anyway?  “You’ll have to ask Lieutenant Havenborn about that.  I was inside the mine at the time,” she added. 

Reply #5
[ LT Daniel Havenborn, Callsign: Salvo | Deck 16, Fighter Assault Bay | USS Theurgy, Vector 2 ] Attn: @Nolan, @Doc M.

“If it’s alright with you sir, I’ll stand.”  Daniel said as he stood at ease, he’d been sitting for almost twelve hours and his legs could use a stretch.  He had bumped into Lieutenant Lance just outside Ravon’s office and he knew she should be along shortly.  When asked for a drink he thought it over and decided on a glass of water.  “Chilled water, sir.”  He said as Lance then entered her uniform on correctly now.  As he got his water he drank three-fourths of it in then set the glass down as Ravon got to the point of this meeting which Daniel assumed was to talk about why they had returned with one less pilot.

Daniel took a breath as he looked Ravon in the eyes.  “Commander, I take full responsibility as I assumed command of the mission when Lieutenant zh’Wann was incapacitated.  The Sabine landed as per the mission plan, I assigned Lieutenant Lance to provide ground support while Ensign Agaixot and I took up a patrol around the moon.  About thirty minutes into our patrol a Klingon vessel dropped out of warp, they claimed to be looking for Syndicate pirates but the vessel was a carrier, it seemed...”  Daniel paused as he thought of the right word.  “It seemed like overkill.”  He paused again as he downed the rest of his water.  “The Klingon commander and I exchanged words, I attempted to convince him that we were allies and we could work together, eventually he launched fighters to scout the area, Ensign Agaixot and I split up, each of us tagging along with a different group of fighters.  From there my report will reveal the contents of the fight, needless to say though the Klingons killed Ensign Agaixot.  I have no doubt that she was a skilled pilot but she was outnumbered.”  Daniel finished saying.

Reply #6
[ Lt Cmdr Thomas Ravon | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn  , @Doc M.  

As Havenborn preferred to stand, Thomas simply nodded as his eyes lingered on Tessa first as she seemed fatigued. Hopefully the warm mug filled with black liquid would help her stay awake. When his eyes shifted to Daniel, the young man had already downed nearly all of it's contents before he placed the glass down and spoke up. The eyes of the SCO narrowing a bit as he started with taking full responsibility for what had happened on the away mission.

He listened to his part of the story and brought his right hand to his temples and rubbed against it as he chewed on the inside of his cheek. He let the pilot finish his expose before he nodded slowly "Okay, so you got jumped by Klingon fighters. The fight that followed got Ensign Agaixot killed. Did you have confirmation of this?" he asked Daniel now as his eyes were fixed on him. Thomas had already been announced dead once and he still seemed to be very much alive. With Zrinka just out of stasis he wouldn't want her to share a similar fate like him.

After hearing Daniel's reply he nodded shortly and sighed "What happened to lieutenant zh'Wann on the mission? Why were you forced to take command?" he asked Daniel once more yet his eyes shifted to Tessa as he presumed she'd be able to give more information about what had happened there "Was the ground team facing resistance?" he asked further as he sat up straight and placed his hands on the desk.

Reply #7

“My RIO and flight recorder will establish and confirm that Ensign Agaixot engaged the Klingon forces and I received a signal that confirmed that her fighter was destroyed by the Klingons just before a shockwave came from the moon.”  Daniel said.  He didn’t like being the bearer of bad news but as far as he understood it that was what had happened.  He could see Ravon’s eyes darting between him and Lieutenant Lance.  He assumed that Ravon would likely read Knight’s after action report as well as check the flight recordings.

“I don’t quite know what happened to Lieutenant zh’Wann, all I know is that she was rendered unconscious and it had something to do with Lieutenant Hi’Jack.  I am uncertain of the details there you’d have to ask Lieutenant Lance.”  Daniel explained.  “Although some Klingon forces managed to get inside the hangar bay and landed opening fire on the Sabine and the away team.  Once I arrived inside I provided fire support from my fighter.”  Daniel nodded at Lieutenant Lance to fill in the ground details as he knew very little of them.  Daniel relaxed his stance ever so slightly as he moved his hands behind his back to let Tessa say her piece now.

Reply #8
[ Tessa May Lance, callsign:  Goldeneye | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 02 | Deck 16 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Nolan, @Havenborn

Tessa twitched uncomfortably in her chair and blinked several times when she noticed the other two were looking at her, expecting her to say something that would clarify what happened at  SuD Lang.  Her topaz yellow eyes darted back and forth as her cheeks reddened slightly.  Tessa didn’t want to admit that she had spaced out a little after Haverborn confirmed Rini’s death.

Deep down, she had been hoping for a ‘we got separated and she disappeared’ result.  After all, that had happened to Tom hadn’t it?  Thomas Ravon, the new squadron commander himself had been trapped in a metaphorical Schrodinger’s box after he and his Valkyrie had gone missing before he had returned from the dead two days ago with his Valk upgraded with jury-rigged Dark Future technology.  Wenn Cinn had been sucked out a hull breach and somehow come back perfectly intact with only an incredibly obtuse story about the ‘Prophets’ to explain his survival.  So why couldn’t Rini get the same treatment?  She had been ‘killed’ once before when her Valk took a hit from the Calamity and had come back from that hadn’t she?  Why did she have to die again, this time in a way that made reviving her body impossible?

Until now, Goldeneye didn’t know that Zrinka Agaixot wasn’t the only casualty aside of Hi'Jak, who had registered 8.5 on the buzzard scale the last time she had seen him.  As a matter of fact, Tessa had been blissfully unaware that ThanIda zh'Wann hadn’t made it back from the mission, although now that she thought about it, she hadn’t seen her aboard the Sabine or in the fight in the hangar.  Deep down, she had suspected that something had happened to the Andorian but had chosen to remain optimistic and not ask questions that she wouldn’t like the answers to.

“Oh um,” Tessa stammered,  “We split up into three teams.  Lieutenant zh'Wann went with Mister Hi’Jak and I went with Petty Officer Bremmer and Doctor McMillan.  When I was beamed back to the Sabine, Lieutenant zh'Wann was absent and Mister Hi’Jak was all burnt up and…”  Suddenly, Tessa's manner went from subservience to a kind of horrified alertness.  “Holy smokes, did they shoot each other?”

Reply #9
[ Lt Cmdr Thomas Ravon | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn   , @Doc M.  

Listening to the information Daniel provided was nothing short of feeling defeat. With the signal being received of Rini's fighter getting wiped out, the chances of her survival were slim. Slim to non existent to be exact, best case scenario she'd be drifting through space in her exosuit or get captured by Klingon forces.  Sending out a search and rescue party or a confirmation of the kill was impossible at this point. It felt like he had failed in keeping his pack safe, yet the feeling of guilt seemingly washed off him quicker than he thought. Of course Thomas would check the sensor read outs of the Valkyrie and the after action report of Knight.

With an eventual nod to Havenborn he conformed the KIA status of Rini before the eyes went over to Tessa. She seemed a bit zoned out of it before she started to blush a little. A soft smile came to Thomas his lips as he remembered her doing the exact same things so many times when Miles spoke to her. It seemed like it might just be the position of the 'big boss' talking down to her. She stammered at the start and continued eventually before Thomas frowned and nodded occasionally. The assumption she made made Thomas look up to Havenborn with a bit of surprise.

"Why would they shoot one another Tess?" Thomas asked calmly, choosing to address her by her first name to spook her less and get her more at ease. In the back of his mind, Thomas tried to figure out if Hi'Jak was aboard this vector or not. If he was banged up he'd probably be on Sickbay. First he wanted to know why Tessa thought that the deputy and the Klingon man had a dispute, before he'd jump to conclusions. 

Reply #10

“Umm,” Tessa stalled as she glanced uneasily at Havenborn.  Did Tom forget everything that happened since they went on the run?  Did he forget what happened in the Mahéwa System?  What happened when the first officer of the Harbinger reprogrammed her shipmates to start shooting each other?   The unthinking stupidity of the Devoted of Morali, who Tessa herself had come so close to joining?   Havenborn had only been aboard for two days and Goldeneye was hesitant to tell him just how often people wearing Starfleet uniforms started killing each other on this ship.  Like Havenborn, Hi'Jak was new; how much could they trust him?  Even if Havenborn and Hi’jak weren’t part of the Big Scary Conspiracy, what would it take at this point for them to decide that everybody aboard this ship was crazy and make an attempt to turn them all in?  Sure Havenborn was a team player now, but if he found out how many times discipline broke down on this ship he might have second thoughts.   Better try to downplay it.

“Well um… I don’t really know Tom... sir,” she corrected herself.  “I guess after what happened with the Devoted of Morali, the idea just kind of popped into my head.  I mean, Mister Hi’Jak is pretty new and I haven’t had the chance to work or fight alongside him yet.  I guess this whole ‘fleeing from Starfleet’ thing’s got me kind of paranoid.”

Reply #11

Daniel cleared his throat to draw attention.  “If I may interrupt sir.”  Daniel said.  “I don’t believe that the Klingon ship showing up was completely by chance sir.”  Daniel said, he believed in the Law of Parsimony, which stated that the simplest answer was generally the correct one.  “I had received a message from someone identifying themselves as Phantom Lead confirming my suspicion that the Klingons were planning a trap.  Now with what Lieutenant Lance has said I believe that Lieutenant Hi’Jack may have tipped the Klingons off, for what purpose I don’t know but it seems like the most likely scenario sir.”  Daniel said.

He didn’t know the beautiful woman next to him very well but he felt that she could use some support in this situation and he was more than willing to help her out.  He understood why she was paranoid, and if he was honest he was a little paranoid himself, not that he’d admit that to Lieutenant Lance, it wouldn’t do for an officer of his rank to admit that to a junior officer.

Daniel looked at Lieutenant Lance and for a brief moment gave her a nod and a quick smile before turning back to await what Commander Ravon had to say about that new bit of information.

Reply #12
[ Lt Cmdr Thomas Ravon | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn    , @Doc M.   

The eyes of the SCO remained on the blonde pilot as she seemingly stalled and glanced up to the other pilot in the room. She brought up the devoted and the fact that the feeling of being on the run might start to have its toll on some. Thomas could agree on that matter, yet remained silent for now as he simply nodded at Tessa. Perhaps this was another feat of sabotage by the Morali nutjobs, perhaps the influx of Resolve crew might have smuggled in more parasites that would harm their mission like Sonja Acreth. As for the Harbinger scenario, Thomas had missed the crazy horrors as he was marooned, yet heard from them as he had read the reports.

Havenborn caught the attention as he cleared his throat and spoke up. The eyes of Ravon shifting to him as he readjusted himself in his seat. The officer backed up the story of Lance and Thomas was left with two hunches yet no evidence. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose "Right... So what the both of you are saying is that... The Klingon involvement during the away mission could've been planned by presumably mister Hi'Jak. Strong accusations to make considering we have ample evidence." he stated with a stern look on his face, almost as if he reprimanded the pilots for even thinking like that. He continued however "I've always been taught that when there is smoke, there's usually fire. Your concerns might be valid and so I will inform Security to keep an eye out for Hi'Jak. If he's aboard this vector the least we can do is at least question him about what had happened." he stood up from his seat and walked over to the window that looked at the hangar "I'm glad the both of you made it back. Good job on being eyes and ears out there as well." he turned around and walked over to the both of them. He gave Tessa a squeeze in her shoulder as he smiled "Get some downtime, your shifts start when the next cycle begins. You both earned it. Unless there's anything else, you're both dismissed."

Reply #13

“Thank you sir,” Tessa nodded before finishing her coffee and getting up to go.  “Ooh,” she cooed as she snapped her fingers.  “I almost forgot:  I meant to tell you about Heather McMillan and the Radiance and the doomsday weapon and all of that stuff,” she continued.  “I assume that Petty Officer Bremmer already told Commander Cinn, or is it Commander Wenn?  Bajoran names always get me so confused.  Is the first name the family name or the first name the given name?  Oh well, I guess it doesn’t matter,” she smiled sheepishly as she childishly gestured.  “Anyway, I don’t know if this is classified or not, or if it should be classified, but I figure the department heads should know since it’s not like I can report it to Captain Ives or Commander Trent until the ship comes back together,” she continued as held her arms in front of her so her hands could spin around to gesture as if she was translating her words for the hearing impaired.  “I don’t know how important it is but it might help us with the whole ‘Evil creatures are taking over our bodies thing.’  I don’t know, do you think this should be confidential?”

Reply #14

Daniel nodded as Ravon spoke; he believed that the half-Klingon needed to be a priority and while he wanted to hunt him down he knew that this would now be in the hands of Security.  What he needed now was to relax, thankfully he would be meeting Riley soon and he’d be able to relax with her.  Thinking about that he also decided that he needed to grab a shower as well.  Daniel closed his eyes for a moment, more talk about the untraceable parasites that supposedly existed.  He honestly wasn’t sure how people could really believe in such a fantasy but then he really didn’t care that much.  He would fight because Starfleet had labeled him a traitor and since he didn’t have a home to go back to he’d have to settle with the Theurgy as his new home.

“Understood sir.”  Daniel said as he stood attention and with the dismissal he nodded at Ravon and Lance and left the office, making his way towards the showers to get clean before his date with Riley.  He would have gone back to his quarters but they were on Vector One and it was somewhere in the nebula.  He’d have to replicate a new uniform while he was at it and possibly find somewhere to sleep for the foreseeable future.

Reply #15

With the dismissal, the two pilots seemed to leave. Daniel by snapping in attention before moving out the door before Tessa snapped her finger as if an epiphany just hit her. An epiphany that sounded like it could actually be the main starting line when asked about the debrief. Thomas was caught off guard by it and he just looked blankly at her as she mentioned McMillan and a doomsday device. Lance seemed to get sidetracked easily enough though and the hand gestures she utilized made the SCO smile faintly. He gave a few nods as she rambled on before managing to get a line in.

"What doomsday device and what do you mean with Radiance?" Thomas asked calmly as he rubbed the back of his neck "I'd keep it under wraps for now. No need to start spewing this around with the crew. The Devoted are supposedly gone, but you never know when a new group of nutbags arise to praise whomever is next on the divinity scale."  He gestured to Tessa to sit down so she could bring him up to speed. Perhaps he could ask Wenn Cinn about it when he had the chance about it.

Reply #16
[ Tessa May Lance, callsign:  Goldeneye | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 02 | Deck 16 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Nolan

“What?  Oh yeah,” Tessa giggled nervously, not wanting to admit that she herself had attended one of the meetings of the Devoted herself.  That had been the night that Evelyn was attacked and that was her only meeting.   “I still don’t understand why they haven’t started a church around Wenn Cinn; I mean he did come back from the dead and all that.  Um, now where was I?  Oh yeah.  While we were on that moon we found some ancient ruins underneath that Klingon outpost that had been abandoned.  Heather McMillan said that they belonged to her people.  I found that strange but I guess not everybody who looks like a Terran is from Earth; it’s just that she’s got a very human name.  Don’t you think that Heather McMillan is a really human name?  Honestly, its sounds as Scottish as Poppa Bear’s accent.  Well turns out that Doc McMillan’s ancestors are as Terran as Kahless the Unforgettable’s.  She claimed to be something called a ‘Radiant’ or maybe she was radiant?  I’m not really sure.”

Tessa put a finger to her lips as she struggled to accurately recall the mission.  “Well she didn’t seem to need an EV suit like the rest of us did, but pretty soon we found a place in the Radiant ruin that had life support,” Tessa continued.  “When Heather did this strange glowy thing to get us past the booby traps, I mean a ‘particle beam disintegrating’ booby trap and not a ‘pit opens while a stone block crushes you’ booby trap, she somehow activated an artificial intelligence that manifested as a hologram like Thea,” she continued.  “The A.I. was really bossy and wanted to know why we weren’t  Doctor McMillian’s slaves.  It called us the Lightless!  The program was a species supremacist.  It acted like if you weren’t a Radiant you weren’t a person or something.  I warned her not to go with it; that it probably needed her to set off some kind of doomsday device or something.  And sure enough,” she shook her head and snapped her fingers, “when a Klingon ship arrived in the system, Mister Hi’Jak informed us that it arrived to destroy the moon… Oh wow, in the excitement I had completely forgotten all that.  I did wonder why we were fighting them but so many people want to kill us for no reason I stopped asking.  Anyways, after that, Doctor McMillian called the fighters outside and told them to get inside the outpost immediately,  and then an energy surge overloaded the Sabine’s sensors just as Havenborn and three Klingon fighters made it inside.  The Klingon starship didn’t have a chance.  After that there was a whole bunch of fighting and um… we licked out wounds and came home.  There was this alien woman who came out of one of the Klingon fighters and started shooting Klingons.  I don’t know who she is but we brought her home with us and I don’t think we should trust her.  She seems to change sides awfully easy.”

She placed her finger to her lips as she rolled her topaz yellow eyes as she struggled to remember her conclusion.  “So… I was thinking; if we can lure the enemy to the Ithacae System, maybe we could… get vaporized too,” she murmured weakly as she spotted the fallacy in her plan.  As far as she knew, if that doomsday weapon was still functional, there probably wasn’t a way to get it to attack the right target; it would probably destroy all ships in the area equally.  “You know what?  Never mind.  It was a stupid idea anyway,” she concluded sheepishly.

OOC:  Tessa doesn’t know as much as I thought she did.  Oh well.

Reply #17
[ Lt Cmdr Thomas Ravon | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Doc M.

Thomas could only chuckle lightly at Tessa's words at the start. Sure, the Bajoran's return to the ship had been somewhat mysterious. Though it didn't convince Ravon that there was a higher being or authority out there. He couldn't afford to think if deities and miracles existed, all he cared about right now was the here and now. The moment they lived in and the little part of the foreseeable future they could plan ahead in. It had been a lesson that he had learned the hard way, that planning ahead too far was just bad for morale.

He did listen intently to what the blonde fighter pilot had to say. Most this was new information to Ravon and he nodded intently as the existence of so called 'Radiants' was now known to the ship. He had heard about it on the debrief when Nicander was asked about the chase of Sonja Acreth. Yet that hey had their own temples and the sorts was something. The description of the doomsday devise was an interesting fact at that, yet with McMillan not on the vector, the chances of utilizing the tool to their advantage was slim. Considering there to be an AI that looked down at the existence of non radiant, it was food for thought.

As Tessa mentioned an alien woman that joined them on the ship, he nodded once more "I'll pass it on lieutenant." he said with a smile as she concluded that they might as well get vaporized along with the enemy fleet that might be chasing them. "Well, our demise would hardly be a win condition I imagine." he smiled as he stood up "Thank you though for considering all the options." he continued before he came to a stop at the front of his desk and leaned against it "Go grab yourself some grub and get some rest Tessa. You look exhausted." Thomas said softly with a smile "If there's anything else you can just contact me."

Reply #18
[ Tessa May Lance, callsign:  Goldeneye | SCO office | Fighter Assault Bay | Vector 02 | Deck 16 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Nolan

“Thanks Tom,” Tessa smiled weakly.  “After that mission I could sleep for a week.”  A loud obnoxious gurgle could be heard from her abdomen.  “But you have a point; maybe I could get a bite to eat first,” she with a bashful smile as a hint of a blush graced her pale countenance.  She gave him a hug and tottered out the door.  It was off to Below Decks… no wait… the Below Decks lounge was in the Stallion.  It was off to the Spearhead Lounge… wait a second… the Spearhead Lounge was in the Helmet.  It was off to the Tactical CONN Mess Hall/Lounge at the other end of the hall past the briefing room, the showers and locker room, and the gym.  These days the Lone Wolves never used the Tac CONN mess hall after a mission; only before a mission.  Using it after a mission made it feel like you were still on duty and after months with no shore leave nobody wanted the slightest reminder that they were still on the job.  Oh well, any port in an ion storm.  After that it would be back to the holodeck where she could run the simulation of her bedroom back at Alpha Centauri.  It seemed so far away right now and she wondered if she would ever have a chance to return to it for real.

~ FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder