Skip to main content
Topic: USS Theurgy: Eve. (Read 3104 times) previous topic - next topic

USS Theurgy: Eve.

DELETED SCENE SOMETIME BEFORE OUTBREAK

[ EVE Program AK-1 | Main Sickbay | Deck Deck 11 | USS Theurgy
[Show/Hide]

"When your program is inactive, a moment or a millennium are the same to you." This always seemed to be the case since it was impossible for biological entities to understand the exact sensation holograms experience when they are taken offline. Certainly for Eve this was also the case. When she was in an offline state she definitely didn't experience the passage of time, at least not in the way humans did. But something seemed to happen to her program once it was shut down, in that moment she experienced between activations she.. Felt. She could feel the darkness around her, feel it becoming her. Some in holographic research have theorized that this was caused by the computer still unloading her program so even offline for a fraction of a millisecond she was still active. But that never seemed to explain the whole experience, not for Eve any way. After the first few times though, she began to pass it off in that her program was radically different than your run-of-the-mill holodeck character, and a bit more advanced than your basic EMH Mk I or II. Her program could still remain active even in an offline state, to continue development of her A.I. and personality matrix. Engineers however explained to her that this could not be the case, there is no possible way she could experience anything while offline. It's why she experiences no passage of time while offline.

But she remained there in the darkness, letting it flow around and through her. Thinking to herself how soothing this was, it was like a sensory deprivation tank, and nearly as therapeutic for her. She just relaxed and slipped into the darkness.

Suddenly there was an interruption. A harsh light that started to permeate the darkness and grow brighter. A universe started to form around her, blurry at first as though she had just woken up from a very long sleep. In truth it was because the sickbay sensors were aligning to feed information into her program so that she could, in effect, see. As the image started to gain focus she could see someone wearing the the traditional uniform she had become accustomed to during her testing phases standing before her. The undershirt appeared teal to her, must be one of the medical staff.

All of this happened within less than a second, though it seemed to happen in slow motion from her perspective. She could feel the connections being formed between her holographic matrix and her core database, information being access and uploaded faster than the time it would take her to blink. Part of that database was a crew identification list, all at once she knew exactly who the person before her was. Ensign Nyala Parsons. Human, position of Nurse. Service information for the Nurse started coming through as well, information required for her to be able to understand where the woman's expertise lay but Eve disregarded it. So far the only time she has been summoned was as an aid which didn't require her to know the nature of the person's honors in Starfleet medical or how they performed with a laser scalpel.

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency." The last vestiges of her beginnings as a modified EMH, their traditional activation line still remaining within her program. Even though she was designed to be a long term program, most of the time up to this point she was only called in an emergency, treating her just like a regular EMH. But since some seem to feel that the EMH line had horrible manners, she had become a preferred choice for some of the medical staff because her personality was much easier to deal with.

"Multiple lacerations, plasma burns to the face, fractured fibula. I need help stabilizing him while I scan him for any other injuries." The human woman was surprisingly calm given the life threatening injuries her patient seemed to have suffered. Calling up part of the woman's service record Eve found that the woman had a history of being quite calm under stressful situations, even performing higher than normal in the academy stress tests.

Without a word Eve moved over to the medical instrument tray and picked up the cortical stimulator, placing it on the man's forehead and activating it. Little lights played across it's surface, the device intended to stabilize his brain functions and increase his chance of survival by trying to keep his autonomic functions going, like breathing. She then reached over and picked up the autosuture and began using it to seal the most major of injuries. The benefit of being tied into the ship's sickbay systems was that she had immediate access to all current scan data for whatever patient she was working with, this included the triage to determine which injury was the highest risk of ending the patient's life.

As she continued to work on closing some of the lacerations of the crewman, she spoke to the nurse. "Might I inquire as to what caused these injuries?"

"From what I understand, crewman McGrath here was attempting to perform routine maintenance on a power conduit when a surge caused it to explode. Nothing extraordinary really, wrong place, wrong time." Eve nodded as she continued her work. "That seems consistent with what I'm seeing here." She pulls out a piece of shrapnel from one of the wounds. "Sorry for asking, I just wanted to make sure that we weren't under attack or anything. I didn't want to have to live with saving his life only to have the ship vaporized around us."

The nurse let slip a small laugh at that. "No, we are perfectly safe for the time being." The nurse having finished the scans, she moved over next to Eve. "Thank you for your help, you are a huge benefit to sickbay, I only wish there was a need to keep you online longer." She held out her hand for the autosuture and Eve handed it over. "Computer, end--"

Eve held up her hand quickly. "Ensign, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to remain online for a bit longer to watch you work. I have access to an entire medical database, but I so very rarely get to actually see medical personnel working. For me it seems to always be after the fact, yet another addition to the database as it were." A smile formed on the Ensign's face and she simply nodded, not finishing the command to deactivate the LMH.

Eve stood back a little to give the nurse some room to work, but not far enough away that she couldn't see what was going on. In truth she could be all the way across sickbay and still see clearly, but it just seemed right to her to be in the vicinity while she watched.

(OOC Note: I hope I'm not stepping on any toes with this post. I was just.. Inspired. And after talking with others, this seemed appropriate.)

Simple Audio Video Embedder