Skip to main content
Topic: DAY 03: Midnight Oil [2345 hrs.] (Read 7704 times) previous topic - next topic

DAY 03: Midnight Oil [2345 hrs.]

DAY 03: Midnight Oil [2345 hrs.]

[ Commander Carrigan Trent | XO's Quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Nolan

A senior's officer work was never truly done. 

When he had first been promoted to Lieutenant J.G. and acceded to a seniority position, that had been the warning he had received from the Chief Tactical Officer and Executive Officer of the USS Fermi.  Granted, his "senior officer" status meant he would be the Strategic Analysis Officer and second in command of a listening post on the edge of Ferengi space, but still there it had been.  And at the time he hadn't really believed it.  His department consisted of a grand total of six people and a crew of seventeen altogether.  So staying on top of everything had been simple enough and he had not really been pushed hard in the process.  And when he had command of the facility for a whole six months, the workload had not been much more and he had discharged it quite well at that.

But then, six months after he had received his second pip proper and had been sent to a Chief Tactical Officer billet, he had a department larger than the crew he used to lead.  That had been a learning experience but under his new Executive Officer he had learned much and quickly and rapidly got his head above water, and again he had heard the mantra: a senior officer's work is never done.  Eventually he made Second Officer and Lieutenant Commander and his responsibilities had grown accordingly but by then he had accepted that the mantra was a truism in its own right and the best he could do was keeping a balance between work and the need to look after himself.  Then came his promotion to Commander, the first one, and taking over the XO's billet as the man was sent to command a distant outpost, and there he acquitted himself well until he was given his first starship command, the USS Harrier. 

Trent, in that role, had worked himself ragged, effectively rebuilding the crew from the decks up until they had reached his standards and he had spent many a sleepless night ensuring things would run smoothly.  And when the Dominion War started, he would while many an hour ensuring his ship would ever be ready to enter battle.

And now, years later, he was back in an XO's position at the rank of Commander, again, and he was keeping a starship on a war footing, all the while managing its intelligence support and the tactical department.  And that also meant going over and through operational planning and ensuring the very last details were properly nailed down.  And that was what he had been doing since he'd ended the last of the day's drills.  On the table in the middle of his quarters was half a meal, forgotten as he'd ducked back into his work.  And it was almost as though work had waylaid him as he was getting changed.  He was barefoot, his boots sitting by the bed and his socks in the laundry processor.  His tunic was off and the collar of his red shirt was open but he was not in the process of finding something more comfortable to wear.  Instead, he was on his couch, a PADD in one hand while the other was furiously working on the console he had moved to the coffee table.  Forgotten, much like his dinner, was a cup of now-cold coffee and an insulated carafe of the same that was steadily losing, inevitably, to the laws of thermodynamics.  But there he was, working on course and velocity correction down to the twentieth decimal in order to come out of warp at the exact right place and time to ensure the maximum effect on the supply depot they were suppose to raid in the morning. 

And that would not be too much of a problem, if he didn't have so many different options and courses of action to go through, optimize and evaluate at the same time... 

No, his work was never done, and there was no real end in sight for this evening's worth.

Re: DAY 03: Midnight Oil [2345 Hrs]

Reply #1
[ Cameron Henshaw | Corridor | Deck 02 ] Attn: Trent

Cameron strolled through the corridor with her own PADD in hand as she went over the procedures she had to follow for the weapon raid tomorrow. It would be her first actual command at mission ops and she wanted it to run perfectly and smooth. She was on her way to the XO's office, the man had suggested her to take the role of mission ops essentially so she wanted some friendly advise about the matter from him. After all he was a man of experience and reading his background information, he would be the perfect person to give her a few tricks and improvements to her carefully drawn out plan.

Yet it was pretty late and she doubted if the XO would still be up and about with the raid planned the next day. She bit her lower lip as she looked around her in the corridor. It seemed deserted and she looked at the closed door of Carrigan. "Well, I can try..." she mumbled to herself and let the chime go off to let Trent know that there was someone at his door. Cameron was still wearing her red collared suit as she stood by the door, yet it felt like a second skin at this point. It had been a long day and if she was tired enough she would probably even sleep in it. She gave herself a quick look over and straightened her jacket to make sure she looked somewhat decent while waiting for his reply.

Reply #2
[ Commander Carrigan Trent | XO's Quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Cam Henshaw

Once more, Trent was computing a new approach course for Black Opal.  This time, to drop out of warp within twenty thousand kilometers and rapidly bombard its communications array using Theurgy's own weapons.  That would require a whole new flight geometry, and a different deployment formation for the pilots, and it would expose them to an additional torpedo tube and four more phaser emitters...  There simply was no...

He could not finish the thought for it was interrupted by the chiming of the door.  And only then did he realize the time.  Was it really that late?  So who could it be on the other side?  He did not expect any visitors, but then again he had said that his door would be open to anyone who'd need a chance to speak with him. 

Rising to his bare feet, he took a moment to return his half-eaten meal and the carafe of cooling coffee to the replicator.  But he did not shoulder his tunic back on, nor did he seek out his socks and boots.  Hell, he did not even zip his red shirt back up.  Instead, he walked to the door and hit the button.  Beyond the panel was the Captain's yeoman, the young Cameron Henshaw. 

While having her come to him was not necessarily an unusual occasion, the fact it was pushing midnight was sufficient to get his attention.  So far as he knew, the Captain had knocked off a few hours back and she'd always been quite diligent in delivering message immediately.  So odds are, she had to deal with him directly.  "Good evening, Miss Henshaw.  Please, do come in.  What might I do for you this evening?"

Reply #3
[ Cameron Henshaw | Corridor | Deck 02 ] Attn: Carrigan Trent

Waiting patiently Cameron looked at the door for a few seconds before looking back at her PADD. She had her hands clasped around it tightly and held it close against her chest as if protecting an ancient artifact. The doors suddenly swooshed open and Cameron jumped a little because of it, even though she had to know it was coming. In the door frame stood the XO with a rather rugged look, she glanced him over before smiling faintly and nodding "Good evening Commander. I hope I didn't wake you." she said as she stepped in to his room. She couldn't help it but to look around in it as her curiosity got the better of her and she took in the surroundings before turning around halfway in the room.

"Commander." she started with her clear British accent "I was wondering if you could double check the procedures that I had prepared for the mission tomorrow. As it'll be my first sort of command, I just wanted to make sure that everything is in order. Plus, you are the more experienced officer in these sorts of matters." she stated as she held out the PADD for him.

In the meantime she couldn't help but analyze the commander himself as he stood there. She couldn't shake the feeling that the man wasn't at ease  and perhaps he even eyed stressful. She bit her lip slowly while waiting on his judgement about her procedures. Her eyes went over his clothing once more and she couldn't help but ask softly "How are you holding up Commander?"

Reply #4

Upon the Yeoman's apology for the late hour, Trent simply offered her concerns a dismissive wave.  He had been well and truly awake and it hardly looked like he was anywhere near being in a position to get some sleep anytime soon to begin with.  And besides, he had made it clear that his door was open to any officer who needed to speak to him.  And since the matter the young woman wished to discuss had to do with the mission and her role at Mission Ops, he was indeed more than happy to assist her with the matter. 

"Of course.  Please, have a seat while I take a look at those."  As he took the PADD and made for his actual work station instead of the improvised one he had set up on the coffee table by the couch.  Sitting himself down, he reached for a blank PADD and laid it upon the desk as he perused the one he had been given.  As he read, he spoke again.  "I'm glad you came to see me about this.  Speaks well of you when you're trying to make sure you have your ducks in a row."

For some time, he did not add anything as he considered the information before him and with one hand he started tapping at the second PADD, inputting his own notes and running a few queries.  "I can see you've studied fighter doctrine and procedures, that's good.  In fact, a lot of this is straight out from the book."

Setting down her PADD, he offered a bit of a smile.  "You're going into a lot of detail here, not leaving a whole lot of room for flexibility.  And, honestly, you don't need to specify everything to the fighter bay crew and the pilots, regardless of what the manual says.  Commander Renard was a test pilot for our fighters and he was a pilot long before he joined Starfleet, and Chief Covington has been in Starfleet since before I was born and he wrote part of that same manual so you can be sure whoever i going to run the bay in his place knows what they're doing."  There was no reproach to his criticism.  After all, part of his job was to train and develop the ship's personnel.  And considering the Yeoman did not belong to a department proper and had no direct superior it only stood to reason Trent would wind up in charge of her professional development. 

But then, the question she asked took him by surprise.

That was a question he had asked a number of times himself, but not one that had been posed to him in quite some time.  And he took a moment to consider his situation.  He was barefoot, out of his jacket, with his shirt unzipped, and he had been immersed in so much work he didn't think he'd catch more than three, maybe four hours' sleep before he'd be back on duty.  And he had no other choice in the matter.  It was not like the ship had another officer qualified to be Chief Tactical Officer, and there was no Second Officer to back him up.  "I'm... managing," he answered softly.  "You know what they say, a senior officer's work is never done, right?"

Reply #5
[ Cameron Henshaw | SO's Quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Carrigan Trent

After been offered a seat the yeoman moved herself through the quarters of Trent. She sat down in a chair next to his self improvised couch workstation. Her eyes lingering over wondering what the idea behind the contraption was. A smile lingered across her face as the commander spoke that he was glad that she had dropped by to inform him about her upcoming operation. Her eyes went through the quarters once more to notice everything that there was in sight, yet not really looking for anything specific.

"Yes, I have studied the standard Federation tactical books and advanced space warfare volumes that I could find. I thought most of those tactics sounded pretty good so after simulating them and cross referencing them I chose to adopt the tactics that you can see on the PADD sir." she commented, wondering if it was bad to be working by the book. She listened now to the advise of Trent as he told her that she left little room for flexibility. She frowned a little, wondering if flexibility was still an option on a rather tight coursed operation like the weapons raid.

Yet she understood what Carrigan meant with his advise, both Renard and Covington were experts at their jobs and would probably be running a tighter ship than her manual would implicate. She nodded so far and made a mental note to take the feedback along for her further career at flight operations.

She could notice the hesitation perhaps in Trent as he considered her question before answering. Her eyes resting on him as he sat by his desk "Managing commander?" she repeated after him as she nodded at the all to famous quote she heard around most senior officers. It was a phrase that often could be heard among more veteran crew members. She licked her lower lip a bit before going further "I have heard a lot about that phrase sir." She answered him with a smile "Yet I also know that an overworked officer can make a difference in the heat of battle should the time rise." She paused for a second before continuing "I do hope you sleep enough commander. Or at least take your time to participate in any kind of stress relief to lower the work pressure." she was checking if any of that rang a bell with him, wondering if the Commander wasn't actually working himself to death here since his new promotion. 

Reply #6

When the Yeoman repeated what he had said, that he was managing, a fleeting smile crossed Trent's face.  He had a very similar conversation a few days back with the Chief of Operations and Natalie Stark had used those exact words with him.  So perhaps he needed to start taking a closer look at his work and rest cycles, see what he could do about easing off the strain.  But they were just short of a major operation, which would precede another major operation.  The ship was barely back to nominal and he was still juggling the Harbinger personnel they'd rescued and integrating them into Theurgy's crew.  Then there were his Bridge watches, the time he needed to work with Intelligence matters, being the acting Chief Tactical Officer, and that little project he had going, trying to integrate a Calamity-style electronic wafare suite on board, and barely having managed to get a comms jammer working so far...

So no, it was fair to say he was not getting nearly enough sleep.  However, the crew was shaky enough as it was, and while he knew Henshaw was not part of the chain of command proper she was still a subordinate.  And if there was any kind of reason for anyone to doubt the senior leadership, it could cripple them as a whole.  For a moment, his lips tightened and he sighed.  "I'll admit, I don't get quite as much rest as I probably should, but I do get some sleep."

Carrigan could not deny it to himself: he truly did not get nearly enough downtime and it was starting to catch up to him.  Ever since he'd defected to the Theurgy, the most rest he'd had was when he had been in the Brig.  And it was getting to him.  "Ensign, Cam," he started as he set down the PADD he was holding, "there just aren't enough hours in a day."

Reply #7
[ Cameron Henshaw | XO's quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Carrigan Trent

Henshaw observed her commander as he smiled faintly and as she re evaluated his quarters she knew the man had a lot of things on his head. She looked down at her hands in her lap before she looked up once more to face the commander as he spoke up. He admitted to not sleeping enough, but at least he slept. She smiled faintly as she kept looking at him with her brown eyes. She didn't respond to him yet she simply nodded in response before he spoke further.

He spoke to her with rank now and Cameron gasped for air in a second. It had been a while since one of the senior officers had addressed her with her rank and it felt like she had overstepped something with Trent. She looked at him closely and replied "Well... I think we can all agree on that matter sir. There's nearly not enough time for what we want to do." she joined him in his statement. "Yet I feel obliged as a former counselor to make you aware that you'll be overstretching yourself. I mean this as a professional Commander. Try to find some rest in this chaos or the pressure will eat you up in a whole otherwise." She said softly hoping the man wouldn't take it the wrong way.

She got up from her seat now and walked over to the man at his desk "I've seen first hand what burn outs do to men who are compelled to do their jobs. Not because someone makes them do their job, but because they feel it's their responsibility to make sure everything runs as it should. Don't overstretch yourself Commander, I beg of you. It would be a darn shame if we lost you as an XO." she said soft, soothing and while doing so resting her hand on his shoulder. Her eyes gazing into his as she hoped the message would not fall in deaf men ears.

Reply #8

"I don't know how you interact with the Captain, but when we're behind closed doors, you can drop to Sirs and the Commanders." 

Trent spoke with a wan smile, his remaining flesh, bone and blood hand coming up to pat the Yeoman's upon his shoulder.  Truth be told, Trent never had a Yeoman to work with before, he hadn't seen the need.  Even when he was the XO of a Galaxy-class starship where he could have had an administrative assistant he hadn't availed himself to the opportunity, and the crew of the Harrier had just been too small to really warrant one.  However, he was getting the clear impression that this young woman, trained as a counselor, was not the typical assistant to a ship's command team.  And that was what prompted him to extend her that privilege. 

Normally, Carrigan Trent was not one for informality, despite the custom that senior personnel could refer to their juniors by name if they so desired, which was something he regularly availed himself to.  Especially not with a crew he was new to, not when being able to be professional could mean the difference between life and death and certainly not after such a short acquaintance.  But he had noticed her indrawn breath when he had used her rank, how uncomfortable she'd seemed for that split-second.  Not that he had meant it as any kind of chastisement; it was just the way he was. 

"You know, I'm willing to wager you've had a similar conversation with the Captain in the recent past.  But regardless of whether you did or not, I'd say she  and I are lucky to have you to keep an eye on us.  Because you're right, we have a lot to do and that means we have very little time to ourselves on a day to day basis, so what we want to do has to take a very distant second place to what we have to do."  With that said, Trent remained silent for a moment.  The Yeoman was right.  Burning out was just around the corner if he kept working himself that bloody hard and the last thing this crew needed would be for their Executive Officer to be put on forced rest because he had been burning the candle at both ends. 

Giving Cameron's hand a squeeze, Trent nodded.  "All right, I guess I can knock off for the evening.  Would you care to join me for a little while?  Just a chance to chat with the young lady who's going to spend the foreseeable future keeping me in line?"  And then, his smile went from wan to genuine, warm even.

Reply #9

"Of course Si-" Cameron replied yet interrupted her final word mid sentence. She felt her cheeks redden a little before she looked away a bit shyly.

Yet it was in that moment that she felt Carrigan pat her shoulder with his non prosthetic hand. She looked into the XO's eyes now as she smiled again, warmly now. She still was trying to get a reading on the man, yet she figured that by now it was of no use as he seemed to warm up to her. Trent had been an interesting person to follow for Cam as she ran ship wide intelligence for the captain. Trent being the only crew member that hadn't come from either the Theurgy or Harbinger for that matter. He could be considered an outsider even.

It was that what made him interesting to Cameron, a person with ideas and visions that were different from either crew that were aboard this ship. Perhaps he saw things in different light or had his opinions that differed from Ives or the rest of the chain of command. She wondered if Ives and Trent would have their discussions if things wouldn't go the way either one of them saw it, conflicts of interest or conflicts in execution. Judging by Trent's demeanor Cameron assumed that the man would have some ideas of his own that might conflict with Ives' vision.

She nodded as he admitted that she was right about burning himself out. The squeeze in her shoulder feeling as a reminder that she wasn't dreaming this. She looked at Carrigan as she smiled a little as he suggested to spend some time with him for a chat. Her eyes drifting over him as she took a few seconds to formulate her reply. "I think I can stretch out a bit for you Carrigan. Though I won't make it too late, I still want to revise the procedures for tomorrow and have a good night rest before the operation kicks off." She answered him as she remained where she stood. "As for keeping you in line... I think I'm not really qualified to do so, not rank wise anyway." She smiled as she relaxed a little, even Carrigan could feel how her muscles became a bit looser under his hand. "What did you wish to talk about?" she asked curiously now while looking him straight in the eyes.

Reply #10
[ Commander Carrigan Trent | XO's Quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Nolan

When the young woman stumbled on an errant 'Sir', Trent smiled.  That wasn't something he did very often these days.  Well, not a genuine, pleased one at least.  And truth be told, he needed to be able to speak to someone without the trappings of rank and protocol.  And there was no one on board who really fit that bill safe for the Yeoman herself.  While she was an administrative assistant to the Captain, and to him to a much lesser degree, she was outside the chain of command.  She had no one beneath her, and she was pretty much operating freely as Ives' agent. 

For a moment, he watched her.  It would seem that the offer to be informal had taken her by surprise but she had quickly adapted to the idea.  But what pleased the Executive Officer more was that she was willing to stretch that initially professional visit a little towards becoming a social call.  True, both would need some sleep before morning but sometimes, having a chance at company could trump that to some extent.  However, when she denigrated her ability to keep him in line, he did allow a good natured bit of laughter to escape his throat.  "Oh, Cam, you have no idea the power you wield in your position.  You've just stopped me from pulling what would have been almost another all-nighter.  And please, wield it as ruthlessly as you think you need to so neither myself, nor the Captain, nor any other member of the Senior Staff you deal with, does the same.  Although, they've all got department chiefs to keep an eye on them too."

Rising to his feet, he headed towards one of the easy chairs in the living area and he gestured towards any of the other seats available, silently offering the hospitality to the Ensign.  "As for what to talk about?  Anything that doesn't have to do with running a ship or preparing for battles or anything like that.  I don't get to have a whole lot of chances to just chat with someone these days, and honestly, I don't have many I can talk to.  The Captain has plenty on her plate, I have new subordinates who don't know me from a hole in the ground and whose confidence I still need to fully secure, and who I need to get to know as well.  You know, there's another truism here.  It's lonely at the top."

Reply #11

The response of Carrigan about her function to keep him in line still surprised her as he waved her initial response away was warming to Cameron as she smiled and nodded slowly "Well.. If you put it like that. But I surely wouldn't exaggerate it." She answered him, keeping herself rational. In the meantime she looked at Carrigan when he stood up and walked over to more comfortable chairs and she followed Trent after he had gestured her to take a seat. She took her place opposite of the commander and crossed her legs.

Cameron nodded silently as Trent spoke and she knew all too well how lonely it could be at the top. She could witness it first hand with Jien as yeoman. She had see the captain isolated from the crew will doing his job, the hurt it caused to know that members of the crew didn't take it in kind. It was a constant struggle. Trent would probably suffer the same fate if only a little less as second in command, yet there would be no doubt that he'd feel the effects of leadership as well. Yet these darker subjects were to be left for what they were as Cam thought about a more fresh and happy topic. "How did you enjoy yourself during Lohlunat ?" she asked freely to him "I mean, it's probably the first time where you interacted with the bulk of our crew right?" she asked just to make sure.

Reply #12

Trent found his initial assessment of Cameron Henshaw's perceptiveness to be correct.  The young woman was well-tuned to the people she was dealing with and given her track record, he was certain she would be quite capable to apply her skills to her duties both at Mission Ops and as the Yeoman whose duties meant she would be in close proximity to most of the senior staff for extended durations and all of their well-being would benefit a great deal from her insight and observations.  In fact, she was in quite a good position to learn a senior officer's duties well ahead of the curve given her rank and current career arc. 

However those thoughts went away as she sat herself down at his invitation.  For that he was quite grateful.  Indeed, as he'd just said he hardly had any interactions with anyone that were not the most professional in nature and this was the kind of diversion he could use.  However, that diversion got even more pronounced when she mentioned the gathering on the holodeck, and asked how he had occupied himself.  "Well, to be honestly my interactions were... limited."  A wry, if someone sheepish smile appeared on his lips.  "Truth be told, I spent the bulk of it in the... company of Doctor Duv."  And then, his face grew grave for a moment.  She had been picked up from Harbinger just before her fateful, and life-saving, collision with Calamity and he hadn't made any time to ensure she was all right, nor any of the other survivors that had been picked up.  But it was mostly her he ought to have paid a visit to.  And to those words he put thought.  "And now that you've reminded me, I haven't taken any time to go and see her since she had a hand in saving all our lives... Damn it."

However quiet, his tone made one thing clear: he did not consider that slip of the mind just something that he hadn't gotten to based on his hectic work hours as of late, but something far more personal.  For Carrigan Trent actually liked the young Trill and he had told her they would indeed meet again when they lay on the beach.

Reply #13

Looking into Trent his eyes he could notice that the cogs and wheels were running as he looked at her. Personally Cameron hadn't thought about her rank to become anything more than ensign in her current position. She wasn't even sure if she could fit in any of the departments as she stood right now but perhaps mission ops would be something that could turn into her expertise and perhaps one day senior staff status. However, it was the very last thing on her mind right now as the work, even for her, never stopped.

Cameron couldn't suppress a smile curling on her lips as Carrigan spoke of Duv. She could only wonder what the two of them had been doing on those white sands of Risia. Yet she quickly noticed that she had triggered a response with Trent, perhaps not the desired one that she had in mind. She sat a bit more up straight and leaned forward a little. She heard the words as he spoke and she nodded silently before thinking. If she remembered correctly, Amelya hadn't been on duty tonight. Or was she taking over a shift? She couldn't really remember as she kept tabs on all the new survivors that were picked up after the SAR mission. 

"Well if you like I could let her come over to here? In my opinion an actual doctor might do you some good. Just to make sure you're not closer to a burn out than I may believe." she suggested. That way she could relieve the commander from one more burden that she had saddled him up with. And who knows, perhaps the meeting between the two might even bring some piece to Carrigan's state of mind. "What do you think Carrigan? Should I contact her?" she asked, probing for a response, eager to figure out how her Commander would respond to it.

Reply #14

And once again, Carrigan Trent found himself grateful that the Captain's yeoman was such a perceptive young woman.  Oh, at first she had indeed caught that the meeting with the beautiful Trill had been far less than professional.  In fact, he was certain she knew exactly what they'd been up to.  Most times, he'd have been embarrassed to no end  that such a thing would have come up.  However, he did recall reading that once upon a time, young Miss Henshaw had been trained as a counselor and had served in that capacity.  But what made it different was that she was more or less part of the command staff and she was not in medical blue anymore.  And he was confident she would not betray his confidence to anyone. 

And what she suggested next, it was clear that she understood how he was feeling.  And the exact wording she had used, to make it sound as though she was going to pay a patient a house call... that would be for the logs.  Because Trent had to admit it to himself: he might not be the able to approach Amelya about anything other than a purely professional matter.  Not at this point.  And while using an intermediary in the form of the Yeoman might seem something a middle school child would do, it would do quite well in this instance.  "Yes, I think it would be a good idea.  Thank you."

Reply #15

Hearing the agreement from Trent after a few seconds made the yeoman smile. She nodded and decided to not just hail Doctor Duv through the combadge but to send her  a more personal message through the PADD system. She's always seen Duv with one of them about during her shifts and it would most likely only take a few seconds for her to notice. Cameron stood up from her seat and walked over to her own PADD that still lied where Carrigan had placed it. She walked back to her seat and tapped away and after a few seconds it had been done.

"Right, well Carrigan, I'll just go over the adjustments you made and the advise you gave me for the operation. I'll try and keep in mind what you've told me. In the meantime, I hope you can still enjoy your evening and get a good night's rest." she smiled and could resist just to leave a wink behind her. It wouldn't be professional in any regard and in her former function as a counselor she knew better. "See you tomorrow on the Bridge, Commander." she nodded before standing up and leaving the man in his seat. She gave him a short squeeze in his shoulder as a token of gratitude and for strength in his days to come as an executive officer. After that, the next thing Trent would hear would be the opening and shutting of the doors that lead out of his room.

[ Amelya Duv | XO's quarters | Deck 02 ]
Attn: Carrigan Trent

After receiving the message from Cameron Henshaw, Amelya Duv made her way out to the XO office. She wasn't in her traditional teal colored uniform since she had been off duty the past few hours. In fact she had been in her quarters when the massage of Henshaw had reached her. She had just finished another training mission with Zaraq and after a long, satisfying shower in her quarters she had dressed herself quickly into something comfortable. Not sure if time was of the essence she kept a steady pace in her march. She was wearing darkblue yoga pants with a matching colored crop top that left her stomach nude.

It had been since the joining of both crews of Lohlunat  that the two of them had met. Amelya could feel a little bit nervous as she wondered why the yeoman had requested her assistance at the Xo's quarters. Feeling a tingling sensation in her abdomen, she unsure if it was from the anticipation of seeing her one night lover or if it was from the memories that seeped back into her mind. The memory of the two of them at the beach of Risia...

She stopped at the XO's door and let the chime go off as she stood there, only second guessing herself whether or not to wear something more official when visiting the XO. It was too late now to walk away and she ran her fingers through her semi wet hair before pulling it back to put it in a pony tail. It was probably at that moment that Carrigan would open his door as it took a little longer as anticipated as she struggled with the wet meshes of hair.

Reply #16
[ Commander Carrigan Trent | XO's Quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Amelya Duv

Once the Yeoman excused herself, Trent rose from his seat and looked to his quarters.  To be fair, despite his lack of personal possessions the place was somewhat chaotic.  And given that, he too, that time to at least tidy up the piles of PADDs and to dispose of his unfinished meal into the replicator.  But there was the small matter of his appearance.  As it stood, he was wearing parts of his uniform and looked rather disheveled and rough and took a moment to get changed himself into some of the civilian attire he was recently replicated, picking a pair of loose pants and a half-sleeve shirt and opting to remain barefoot. 

And it had been as he'd been getting dressed that his door chime went off.  But despite his desire to see the Trill physician, he took the time to ensure he was at least presentable when he went for the door.  Normally, if he'd been busy he would simply call for the visitor to come in, but in her case he wanted to greet her at his threshold.  As he walked to the door, he could feel the butterflies in his own stomach.

Would Amelya forgive him for not having paid her a visit yet, let alone to be asked to pay him a visit at this late an hour?  Would she be all right after her ordeal on the Harbinger?  He did not know any of those.  And he did remember the time they had spent on that beach.  Her naked body, her skin silver in the moonlight, the trail of her spots.  Her warmth.  The perfect flesh under his hand.  And then, he opened the door, catching her as she was adjusting her hair.

That particular posture presented her with a lovely sight.  Already her shirt had already been cut rather short but a good deal of her flat abdomen was showing and her stance, with her hands at the back of her head, stretched her body in a most appealing manner.  And then, both hands came up as if to land upon her waist but he stopped himself halfway there.  He had no way to know what she'd gone through during the mutiny, but he knew what some of Harbinger's crew had done to female personnel on Theurgy.  Instead, he cleared his throat.  "Amelya, it's good to see you, please do come in."

Re: DAY 03: Midnight Oil [2345 hrs.]

Reply #17
[ Amelya Duv | XO's quarters | Deck 02 ] Attn: Carrigan Trent

It was as if she expected Trent to come to the door and open it up as she looked straight into his eyes as the door swooshed open. Her eyes directly caught in his and seeming to dig deep inside them. She didn't say a thing at first as she finally finished up her hair and lowered her hands back to her sides. She let him greet her first before she smiled faintly and replied "Carrigan. The feeling is likewise." With that she walked into his quarters and heard the door close behind her as she looked around in his quarters for the very first time. Unsure how to behave around the man she still wondered why Cameron had asked her to come over. She walked about halfway into the room before turning around on her heels and facing Carrigan once more.

Despite the lack of time to prepare herself to come over to Carrigan, she had applied the tiniest amount of make up and mascara. The effect of this meant that her eyes were more accentuated as she looked at Carrigan. "Ensign Henshaw had asked me if I could drop by. I couldn't really make up out of her message if it was for a medical issue or if..." She paused for a second before carrying on eventually. She had remembered Carrigan to be less formal in private and she hoped he still kept that arrangement after their brief yet lovely encounter on the holodeck. "Or if it was more for a more personal matter." she concluded her sentence.

Even though the two of them weren't actually in a romantic relation or anything of the sorts, Amelya had felt a sort of a click when they had met. Yet not hearing from Carrigan over the time that she had transferred from the Harbinger to the Theurgy crew had made her wonder if the feeling was mutual. She knew the man had a lot on his mind, so perhaps he had forgotten about her due to his workload. Or perhaps she didn't leave a solid impression on him after their encounter. Her eyes kept scanning him curiously. Seeing Henshaw had sent the message, perhaps the two of them had a romantic thing going on, leading to her being obsolete. Was she here for that reason?

These ideas kept going through Amelya's mind as she stood still before Carrigan. Waiting for his response and curious as for why she was here.

Reply #18

Trent only had eyes for Amelya as she entered his quarters.  And while he did not fully register it, he was dimly aware of the door hissing shut, therefore guaranteeing their privacy should some crewmember addressing any number of issue in the area come by, or simply someone walking by.  A starship never truly slept, after all.  And at this point in time, being able to actually spend some time with someone because he wanted to was exactly what he needed, not getting tongues wagging ship-wide.  But he became aware of something.  Intelligence personnel never dealt in certainties; they worked in degrees of probability, assessments, indications.  But with Amelya Duv, Carrigan Trent was certain he had missed her more than he had realized he did, now that he could lay eyes on her again. 

Upon being asked as to the nature of her visit, the Executive Officer looked down for a moment, and then back up with a somewhat sheepish smile.  During their encounter on the holodeck, she had asked him if they would meet again and he had said yes.  He had like the young doctor, liked her a great deal even, and he had been hoping to see her again sooner rather than later.  And with them being assigned to two different ships in the same formation, a relationship would have been difficult as there was no guarantee they would always operate in close company.  But now that she was on board?  It was entirely in the realm of the possible.  That is assuming she would still want him after he had not been able to make the time to see her after she had been recovered from her disintegrating escape pod following the engagement with Calamity.

"It is, well, a little bit of both."  As he spoke, Carrigan gestured towards the small couch even as he headed towards it himself.  Having a chance to sit with the Trill would be a good place to restart thing.  Especially as he needed to apologize to her.  "Miss Henshaw is our new Mission Ops officer and she paid me a visit to go over her planning for tomorrow.  And, good former counselor that she is, she noticed I was starting to look like I was killing myself with work."  Again, the Human smiled if a little wider. 

"She asked me if I was particularly close to anyone on board, and I came to realize that... I failed to meet with you after you were rescued.  It certainly wasn't because I didn't want to see you.  I... allowed myself to get buried in work and I couldn't see past the endless list of things I needed to do to keep this ship running.  I'm sorry I didn't come and see you earlier."

Reply #19

Amelya waited for the reply of the XO as she let her eyes go over the rugged look of the man.Already she took in how tired he looked and how he already had changed a little since their encounter on the holodeck. The new leadership role seemed to have taken its toll on the man. Yet to be truly honest with herself, Amelya still found the man to have a special kind of air around him. Something that kept her eyes stuck on him and something that made her feel different around him.

She listened to the man as he gestured her to join him in the couch and she took her place besides him, crossing one leg to sit more comfortable in the couch while she could face him. One arm got placed against the back of the couch to support her head as she tilted her head sideways. Her eyes still locked on his as he continued to speak. A smile slowly danced on her own lips as she nodded "It's quite alright that..." Amelya paused for a second as she chose her words carefully now. She wasn't glad at all that he waited this long for her to see her, yet she knew the man had to be buried under a load of work during these stressful time. "I understand that you couldn't see me sooner." She corrected herself as she looked away from Carrigan for a while.

She waited for a few seconds before she spoke once again, almost turning the silence into a painful one. "I'm aware of Henshaw's former counseling skills. We've worked together on the Harbinger on numerous occasions and she's become somewhat of a friend of mine during that time." she nodded as Trent as her eyes made contact with him once more. "Her observations however seem rather correct. Since our last encounter you have seemed to be different. The position undoubtedly taking it's toll already." she concluded as she seemed serious about the matter. She kept looking at him before she bit her lip gently "I was doubting to come and see you myself after my arrival from the Harbinger... Though I felt it to be a bit out of place for me to do so. Especially after I assumed my work again in sickbay." She looked away once more as she hid the fact about the assault on the Harbinger. Which probably had its own influence on her and how she would be around men in the future.

"Though I am glad... To see you again Carrigan." she said with a faint smile. It wasn't exactly the message she wanted to convey as she had loved the company of the man during that night. However time had gone past and even though the young Trill had developed some feelings for the older Commander, she felt like she had entirely played the situation wrong. She waited for his reaction and response now, wondering what he would make from the situation.

Reply #20

Carrigan knew he was being watched and gauged.  And not just for his explanation of his inability to see Amelya until that very moment but also for signs of the stress he had confessed both to the Yeoman and the physician.  And while he felt more confident than he had in years and much of the man he had once been had come back to the surface, he knew such could not mask good old-fashioned tiredness. 

As the beautiful Trill spoke, Trent simply met her gaze and listened.  He did not make any noises of assent or acknowledgement, letting instead his gaze speak for him.  And yes, while he had made it clear that his door would be open to any officer who wished to talk it might be a little irregular for a physician to just go to the XO for a chat.  And given the butcher's bill of the mutiny and the subsequent battle with Calamity he could understand that she too had been rather occupied. 

And unless he completely missed his guess, both regretted they hadn't been able to see each other in all the time since they'd secured from red alert after Calamity's fiery end. 

But what she said last, to his relief, did not quite sound as though she was turning her back on the question she had asked back on the Holodeck, whether they would see each other again.  But it did hold a certain note to his ear, as though she was thinking of putting this visit to an end.  And that he did not want.  Not that he could not take no for an answer if it came down to it, mind.  Then, he spoke again, a smile spreading across his lips as he allowed himself to finally reach out and touch Amelya, his hand landing upon her leg, barely above her knee.  "You know, you don't have to leave just yet if you don't want to... and I'd very much like it if you stayed for some time."

The differences in their rank and stations were screaming within his mind, he decided to ignore those protocols such a relationship would strain if not break.  Of course he would not order her to stay.  But he had to admit it to himself, he was more than just fond of her.  She had been the first one to welcome him socially in any respect, made him genuinely feel as though he'd reached somewhere he should be.  That alone was priceless.  And he found himself developing great feeling for her in his own right. 

Reply #21

The touch of Carrigan against her leg sent a shiver down her spine as she closed her eyes for a second and smiled faintly. She opened her eyes again and looked at the XO as he suggested that she didn't have to go just yet. She reminded herself that her shift was indeed over and that she had plenty of time before the next cycle would start. Her reply kept waiting for it though as she kept looking at Carrigan before she eventually spoke "What do you mean with some time Carrigan?" she asked softly before she laid her delicate hands on his.

She would hope he'd say for the rest of the night as she wouldn't mind to spend the night in the presence of the charming man that had given her such a great time on the holodeck. Besides that, she also felt some growing feelings toward the commander. Despite the difference in ranks. It's not that Carrigan would be her first lover and perhaps he wouldn't be her last. Yet she couldn't deny that she possibly saw this man as a possible partner if the feeling would be mutual.

Just letting her thoughts run free like this in her mind had caused the Trill to blush a little as she looked away from Carrigan and she bit her lower lip before looking around in his room. Slowly she let herself slide against Carrigan, not forcing it but hoping the man wouldn't reject her now as she laid her head against his shoulder and she closed her eyes for a second "I hope you don't mind me doing this... I'm just really tired from my last shift... Plus the workouts with Zaraq..." she said softly, trying to break the ice a little and hoping that perhaps this was the start of something special.

Reply #22

The hand that came to rest atop his own sent a most pleasant jolt up Trent's arm.  He wondered how his touch would have been welcomed at that point.  While he hadn't looked at all the reports in detail, he knew some of the things that were planned for the women should Vasser have his way.  And given the savagery of the mutineers and boarders on Theurgy, he could only imagine the situation on Harbinger at the time...

But before he could respond, she shifted her position and leaned against him.  But what was not needed was her explanation as he could feel her wamth through the layers of their clothes settling against him, her body a mass both firm and soft and its proximity very much welcome.  And only then did he speak.  "I mean... For as long as you could ever want.  I'd very much like you to spend at least the night." 

He was careful in stating what he wanted, worried about startling her or giving the impression he wanted to coerce her in any ways.  But truth of the matter, he cared for Amelya deeply and he could feel the empty niche in his heart she was filling.  "And as much time after as you wish," he then continued.

But words were just that, words.  So instead he amplified them with action.  Gently, he slipped his good hand from beneath hers and let it slide up her thigh to come to rest upon her hip and his prostetic rose from where it rested to cup her cheek, snd onlynthen did he bend his neck towards her and pressed his lips to hers.

Reply #23

She let the words seep in as Trent spoke them. ...At least the night her eyes looked up at him as she turned her face a little to get a better look on his face, wanting to read his expressions as he had said such a thing. She smiled again, this time more warmly as she kept looking in his eyes.

And as much time after as you wish...

Before she could reply, Carrigan took the initiative it seemed as he cupped her cheek and kissed her. She was a little held back at first as she at first didn't know what the XO was doing. Yet she kissed him back within a second as she moved her hand against his neck and her other free hand against his chest. Her fingers trailing to his heart as she rested it there, feeling his pulse. Gently she broke the kiss after a few moments. She rubbed her nose against his playfully as she opened her eyes once more for Carrigan "Are you meaning that I should get some clothes to you quarters commander?" she asked softly, teasingly even "Cause I can't go to work in these clothes." she carried on to tease him.

Reply #24

When at first Amelya did not respond to his kiss, Trent was afraid he had overstepped his bounds.  But before long, her own lips moved beneath his and her delicate hands reached for him and he could feel her slender fingers at the back of his neck and a soft palm coming to rest upon his chest as they maintained the kiss for some time.  But much too soon, she gently withdrew but instead of pulling all the way back, she rubbed her nose against his in a joyous, playful manner and he could not help his grin, especially in light of the words that followed, particularly the use of his rank.  And he chose to respond in kind.

"Yes, Doctor, that would be accurate.  But for tomorrow, I believe I can spring the replicator rations to provide you with proper attire to report for duty.  However, after tomorrow's watch you would be most welcome to bring in any clothes and personal effects you have on-board." 

The attraction he felt for her was match for his affection and caring.  In fact, he was dying to run his hands all over her body again, to caress her skin, explore every square inch of her... and knowing he would never get tired of it.  And her teasing about her clothes was not lost on him.  "But if you are worried about those clothes you're wearing being unfit to wear on duty, then perhaps we ought to get them off you?" 

And, giving action to his words, the hand that was upon her hip slipped further up and across the expanse of bare skin at her midriff to take hold of the hem of her shirt, while his synthetic limb slid down from her cheek and across the delicate angle of her jaw and down the slender column of her neck.  Then, his fingertips of metal and polymers brushed ever so lightly over her breast and then mimicked the grasp of his flesh and blood digits at the bottom of her shirt.  "May I," he then asked in a whisper that was even lower than his normal tone of voice.

Simple Audio Video Embedder