Skip to main content
Topic: PRO: S [D01 | 0700] I didn't need that leg anyway (Read 659 times) previous topic - next topic

PRO: S [D01 | 0700] I didn't need that leg anyway

[ Lt Cmdr Jaru “Janus” Rel | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Galaxymind

“Good morning, Nurse Vojona” he had planned to continue, but the sentence was interrupted by a yawn. “If you were a betting man, what do you think are the odds that I can chug coffee during this surgical follow-up?”

The Ovri nurse smiled as Janus entered, always the picture of professional politeness. “Good morning Commander,” he replied, as he began tapping away at the console on his desk, probably checking Janus in. It was a shame that someone so pretty could be so incredibly boring. Then there was the fact that Janus still thought Vojona was pretty, given his recent enlightenment on Ovri biology. He’d apologized for it days ago, but the whole thing was giving him another headache. “You’ll have to ask Doctor Pax about the coffee, she’ll be performing your check-up today. Follow me please.”

As he stood, Vojona stopped for a yawn of his own. “Now you’ve got me doing it too.” Then they set off down the hallway, the nurse leading him back to the recovery ward and to a curtained off biobed near the front of the room. “You’ll have to take off your pants so the doctor can get a good look at the prosthetic joining. You can put this on.” As he spoke, Vojona pulled a patient gown out of the replicator and passed it over.

“What, you didn’t get enough of my bare ass the last time?” He immediately threw the gown onto the biobed. No thank you to that.

“The doctor will be here in a few minutes, so be quick about it!” The nurse was already out of the curtain.

“Pants are already off!” Janus called after him. Alone now, he took one more look at the gown and quickly decided that he wasn’t putting that on. The top half of his uniform and his boxers were definitely more coverage, and they only needed to look at his leg anyway. Janus jumped up and down a few times, still marveling at the prosthetic, which looked so much like the original limb that no one would even notice unless they were looking for it. He might not have noticed either were it not for the fact that it hurt randomly, an ache that was more annoying than anything. Even then, he probably would have chalked it up to age, something the younger Wolves increasingly enjoyed teasing him about. The only giveaway was a thin scar, perfectly even as it circled his calf right below the knee, the point where the artificial met flesh and bone.

“Be quick about it huh?” he mused dryly when no one entered immediately. “I have better things to do to you know. Staff meeting in a few hours, new crew coming on board today, possibly some Romulans to shoot at,” hangover cures to take, “You know, normal stuff.”

Surgical Notes: Lt. Cmdr Jaru Rel sustained a close range phaser blast to the lower right leg, which completely disintegrated everything below the knee. He was treated for the sudden amputation and the accompanying blood loss. Due to a rare blood type resulting from his hybrid heritage, sickbay staff were unable to synthesize blood for a transfusion, and he was placed in stasis for four months until the Savi Android V-Nine created a method of intra-stasis cloning and blood synthetization. He was fitted with a prosthetic created by Lt. Tyreke Okafor.

All information on the cause of the injury is classified.

Re: PRO: S [D01 | 0700] I didn't need that leg anyway

Reply #1
[ Lt Verena Pax | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @rae

Verena greeted the nurse on duty for the third time that day, before he briefly briefed her on her next patient and handed her a PADD with the patient’s chart on it. One Jaru “Janus” Rel. fresh out of stasis, and off the surgical table for a prosthetic leg following an incident with a phaser. It was a fascinating case to be certain, and Verena was looking forward to meeting the man.

She heard him speak just as she came around the corner to where his bed was surrounded by curtains and her mouth quirked into a small and slightly dry smile. So it was a rather Impatient patient she seemed to have on her hands today, that was alright. She understood the want to get out of sickbay and back to work as soon as possible.

“Well I do try to be quick but you’re my second surgical consult today, actually technically third but that one turned into a surprise emergency surgery. So apologies on the delay, but it was for a good cause. I promise,” Verena said a little dryly, though she was smiling as she slipped through the curtains. The Trill was completely unfazed by his state of pantsless-ness, and instead studied his leg from a distance for a few moments. Before closing the gap and beginning to study the scar from the joining from closer up.

“Forgive me, I’m a bit of a hands-on doctor. I’m going to palpate the point where your prosthetic is joined to your leg. Let me know if anything is painful or feels strange alright?” She said, glancing at him before putting her hands on his leg at the joining point. Her hands were cool in comparison to his skin, though her grip was confident and sure. His chart had informed her where the prosthetic had begun in comparison to his flesh and bone leg.

“How are you adjusting to the prosthetic so far, any concerns?” She asked, moving her hands up to feel the muscles and tendons higher up on his leg. Verena was completely fixated on her job. Identifying attachments and feeling for anything that could be amiss, as a surgeon her hands were her most important tools. They could work the machines and instruments with grace and ease, but they also could scan for issues that might register as normal to a tricorder.

She moved her hands up to his thigh, feeling for any guarding or tension that could indicate pain, or a problem with his gait. The legs were the support system of the entire body, if something was off it would cause problems further up into his thigh, hip, and back. Which would be less than ideal, with all that was going on they needed everyone they had to be in tip top shape.

She stepped back and stood up straight to her modest height, the red haired trill was rather on the petite side of things it seemed. Despite her profession, and confident personality. “Can you move to lay on your side for me? I need to examine your hip,”

Reply #2
[ Lt Cmdr. Jaru “Janus” Rel | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Galaxymind

“That depends,” he replied, completely unphased and unashamed that she’d heard him complaining, “If I become your second emergency surgery of the day, I’m going to be a bit mad. I want you to know that beforehand, because if you sedate me, I’ll have a hard time looking mad enough for anyone to notice.”

After the initial quip, Janus was quiet enough. This was a necessary evil, another thing on his to do list that needed to be checked off. Following medical orders was, quite frankly, a huge time saver. Ignoring the follow up would lead to days of ducking doctors, who would start following him around, getting himself pulled from active duty and the flight rotation, and eventually getting forced into this room anyway. He’d learned that lesson as a cadet, unable to understand why medical cared so much about injuries he’d viewed as superfluous.

An amputated leg was probably considered a major injury.

“It’s fine,” he replied, waving her over to palpate whatever she needed. “I’m getting use to it. At least the last guy introduced himself before getting up close and personal.” And closer by the second, damn. “It’s Pax, right?” The view wasn’t bad though. She wasn’t tall, but she carried herself with enough confidence to look larger. Besides, how could anyone miss hair that bright? Looking down at it was almost hypnotizing, a river of fire. He’d always envied people whose genetics had gifted such vibrancy.

When she asked if he had any concerns, Janus didn’t answer right away, mentally debating whether he should say anything or not. Because he did, but he absolutely didn’t want it taken in any way that would cause him to spend more time in medical. He’d been off the flight line for long enough – they’d even painted the word ‘Lazy’ on the side of his ship, a sentiment Janus agreed with – and he didn’t want to lose anymore if she overreacted on a minor problem. He waited so long that he missed his window completely, because then she was telling him to lay down.

“You want to look at my hip?” Thank the Prophets he hadn’t followed Vojona’s advice and stripped completely. “Is there something you want to tell me, because I was told everything from the knee up is still me. Kind of hard to tell though, I’ll admit.” Despite the disbelief in his words, Janus still did what she asked. “Why are you looking that high?”

Once on his side, his view of the doctor was obscured, which somehow made it easier to answer the previous question, admitting it almost like an afterthought. “It hurts sometimes, more of an annoyance than anything. I think there’s something off in the programming.” He conveniently left out that Vojona had already told him the prosthetic was fine and diagnosed it all in his head.

Reply #3
[ Lt Verena Pax s| Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @rae

Oops, she had forgotten to introduce herself again. That was an ongoing problem, she often got so wrapped up in the medical component of what she was doing that she completely neglected her bedside manner. “My apologies, I am Pax yes, Verena Pax. The chief surgeon, and you’re in good company. If you become my second emergency surgery today I won’t be terribly happy either,” She was joking of course, if she needed to operate on him she would do it with her usual efficiency and skill.

She felt his eyes on her as she worked along his leg, and idly she wondered what about her had caught his attention. She could guess it was either her hair, or her spots. Both seemed to intrigue those who didn’t have them, and she was long used to people looking. She couldn’t exactly expect her patients to just stare at the wall after all, she was much more animated than the metal.

“I’m looking at your hip to see if the prosthetic is causing any changes or strain in your gait. The legs are the support system of the body. And it’s all connected, let's say your knee hurts. You will compensate by trying to try and take the weight or strain off, do that for long enough and you can aggravate other parts of your body. You could be doing it unconsciously as well, I just want to be thorough,” She said, her cool hands mapping the landmarks of his joint. After she had finished palpating the area she pulled her tricorder out and began to scan. Looking for signs of inflammation or any other issues in his hip, knee, and at the site of the joining.

She listened as he mentioned the pain, and his suspicions of there being something wrong. His chart hadn’t mentioned that, so in Verena’s mind that was a bit of a yellow flag. She would have to search to see if she could find the source of the issue. “What kind of pain are we talking about here, bone, nerve, muscle? And where?”

She wasn’t going to bench him for something like a little pain, but she wanted to make sure it wasn’t impacting his ability to fly or even his quality of life. Pain could be exhausting, and if she could do something to alleviate it then she would. Even if she had to pull someone from engineering to look at the prosthetic itself.

Simple Audio Video Embedder