Skip to main content
Topic: Earth: Recovery at Starfleet Medical (Attn: Esyel) (Read 4846 times) previous topic - next topic

Earth: Recovery at Starfleet Medical (Attn: Esyel)

Earth: Recovery at Starfleet Medical

[ San Francisco, 2375 | Starfleet Medical | Recovery Wards | 1830 hrs. ]

Apathy had become something between an adversary and an ally.

Junior Lieutenant Drauc T'Laus still dreamed of Kraun, and the events that led up to his brother's death on the battlefield. For even though the Dominon War might be coming to an end, Drauc still fought the Jem'Hadar every night. He saw the kar'takin a moment too late, a moment all it took. It pierced his left side, and while he was unaware at first, that was the moment Kraun's fate had been sealed. For regardless how many times they had fought for Starfleet in the war that had made the whole Alpha Quadrant tremble, it had only been a moment of delay that would end their lives together. Now, Drauc lay in Starfleet Headquarters, in the part dedicated to the fledgling Medical officers in the fleet, and he saw little point in recovery. For how could he recover from the loss of Kraun? He couldn't, and so he lived in apathy... for better or worse.

Hearing noises, voices, Drauc turned his dark eyes and looked towards the sliding doors through the tresses of his hair - his patient's gown covering his battle-scarred torso and his bare thighs where he lay upon the bed. When the visitor entered alone, just being another nurse-training officer that had come to check upon him, Drauc resumed looking out through the window of his shared ward. Every day it was the same routine. They checked his journal, made condolences if they bothered to read the psychological evaluation, which rendered the information about Kraun available. Then they would check his readings, tell him about the state of his recovery form their point-of-view. Then, they would ask about the surgical scars on his forehead, he would tell them, and they'd had little to offer.

The female looked as if she had turned eighteen, making her seven or eight years younger himself. Drauc watched her and her company from the Academy without actually looking at her, staring out the window. He reckoned that the boastful Klingon on the next biobed - the ward having four beds - would try to convince her to mate with him. Drauc merely waited for it without saying a word...

Re: Deleted Scene: Recovery at Starfleet Medical (Attn: Esyel)

Reply #1
[ Third Year Cadet. Jovela | San Francisco, 2375 | Starfleet Medical| Recovery Wards | 1830 hrs.]

Although the Dominion War had come to a close, many casualties had come with it. The most terrifying thing about war that Jovela found out - and not in a more pleasant way - was a corpse could be defined by much more than a chest ceasing to rise and fall. Sometimes, conflicts could kill a person mentally, emotionally, psychologically. In the worst case scenarios, a person was wounded in all three ways. And people hurt in those ways were, in Jovela's opinion, much harder to deal with than anyone suffering from a physical condition. There were tons of tools and various means to handle things like a broken arm.

Broken hearts, minds, or souls?

Not so much.

Drauc T'Laus and his bed-mate, a former Klingon soldier, were two perfect examples of this.

Jovela was standing outside, mere seconds away from actually entering the room. Sure enough, she was taking the time to read both files, each stamped in large letters with the name of the respective patients that were waiting inside, as well as their conditions.

T'LAUS, DRAUC

She had re-read both files for about the third or fourth time now. The truth of the matter was, Jovela knew perfectly well what to expect, at least as far as injuries went. But she was ... scared. Terrified.

You knew though. You joined Starfleet to become stronger, mentally and physically. You knew this wouldn't be so simple. Come now ...

Jovela nodded, tilted her head back, and took a moment to calm herself. What would it say to both patients if she strode in wearing her own anxious looks?

Nothing good; that was the only thing they would need to know, as would her superiors.

Get a grip of yourself. You can do this.

As Jovela slowly opened her eyes, she straightened herself out and walked through the automatic doors, which opened the moment she did so herself. "Evening, Drauc and ... "

Her sentence trailed off as she walked closer to the Klingnon patient. Her ifsts subconsciously clenched, causing the grip of the med kit Jovela was holding in her right hand to tighten.

"Are you ready to talk more, sir?" she asked the mysterious patient.

Unlike Drauc, the Klingnon had refused to say literally anything. At most, he'd nodded, be it in an affirmative or negative way. That was what the other cadets and staff had told her time and time again. Patience had always been a virtue, but it was perhaps more necessary than ever with this patient. Or so that was what Jovela had been warned about.

"Well," she finally began to offer after an awkward pause lingered between herself and the two patients, "Do either of you need anything at all?"

It wasn't the traditional approach, but she was doing something that was ... not wrong, per se, but certainly unorthodox. Jovela was attempting to put herself in their shoes, hoping to try to be able to get decent reads off of them. The first thing she'd assumed was by now, neither of them probably wanted pity or anything close enough to that. No sympathy, no condolences, none of that.

So, with any luck, trying a more direct but still caring and sincere approach would help her out.

Reply #2
In his peripheral vision, Drauc had watched the woman enter. He knew her name to be Jovela, hailing from Risa, which was commonly deemed as a recreational utopia.

In their service to Starfleet, Drauc and Kraun had silently scorned the soft fellow officers who revelled in the opportunity to visit the place when on shore leave. Perhaps there was something wrong with Drauc and his brother since they did not see the same allure in the place as all the others had... and even if the shared thought had gone unvoiced, they had reckoned it might have been a result of the experiments conducted upon their minds. They cared naught for the widely known Jamaharon one might experience upon Risa, not seeing any use for it beyond the means for procreation of one's genome. Whether or not it was a loss to not covet matters of the flesh, they did not truly know, but it all seemed quite an inconvenience. For as long as they could remember, that singular lust had been prevalent - one of the very foundations of the minds all around them. It seemed even more primal than survival, at times.

The Klingon in question, as tight-lipped as he was about his own origin and name, shared the same aspect. If Drauc had been the same as he was before Kraun died, he would have felt the Klingon's appetite to fornicate with the Risan bubble up like some sick bile. But now, apathetic to the fate of both Klingon and Risan woman, the sensation was but a shadow of what it had been - a weak reminder that his mind was not like other Romulans. He could hear the rustle of the Klingon's gown as he rose to his feet, however, and stretched in the sun that filtered through the windows of the ward.

"Ah," said the Klingon, almost seven feet tall, but his hostile presence filled the ward more than the physical fact of his body - his voice rumbling as he spoke to the female. "Entertainment, woman! It has been too long, and no warrior should have to suffer idleness."

Even though he barely blinked where he laid, Drauc did agree to that sentiment. The battlefield had been where he and his brother had thrived - the Dominion War their outlet. Now, he had neither battleflield nor brother.

"Come here," said the Klingon, baring his pointed teeth in what surely he didn't think was a way to put the Risan at ease, did he? For a species so bent on the upkeep of their own honour, it seemed this particular specimen of Klingon had no compunction about asking for what he did. It seemed he was sturdy enough to stand, his recovery quite swift. Drauc wouldn't have thought him able to entertain the idea to approach the young nurse. To his credit, he did not leave the side of his biobed, so Drauc wondered - without yet coming to care - if the Risan would call for Security or disarm the situation in the way Drauc heard her people might do - laugh and jest until the aggressors forget themselves.

If the Klingon was not so easily dissuaded, should he care? Drauc tried to predict his own feelings towards the situation, but he was not certain he would act. It felt like nothing mattered any more, and the minds around them were dampened. It was a relief he would not forsake if he didn't have to...

For the time being, he just stared into the ceiling - not moving a muscle.

Reply #3
[ Third Year Cadet. Jovela | San Francisco, 2375 | Starfleet Medical| Recovery Wards | 1830 hrs.]

Jovela felt her breath hitch, getting stuck in her throat. Was the Klingnon actually going to do it? Would he really speak?

... Yes and no. He did, but definitely not in the way she wanted or expected.

"Entertainment, woman! It has been too long, and no warrior should have to suffer idleness."

Jovela's first initial reaction was feeling insulted. Her mind jumped right to interpreting the word 'entertainment' as dancing. And doing so in a suggestive, lewd way. She definitely did know how to do that. That wasn't the issue. No, there were two, one far more important than the other. First off, she knew she wouldn't be good as her mother and sisters. After all, that was why she was on Starfleet and  they were still home. But two - and the most important factor going through her head - she couldn't simply resort to that.

Or ... could she?

Admittedly, part of her job as a doctor-in-training was to help the patients. And even Jovela could agree with at least one thing the Klingnon had said. She'd likely get bored after being forced to remain in bed for so long.

... Still, there was a time and place for everything.

Right now, she was seeing the cautious road, even if that wasn't true for the overly proud man. While the presence of his teeth did make her gulp nervously, she had her own pride. It was her best and worst trait, more often than not.

In the end, she compromised. Jovela did indeed take a few steps forward, but simultaneously stayed out of immediate grabbing reach. Her arms fell, resting in front of her midsection, as did the med-kit she was still holding, as her eyes looked up at the Klingnon.

"Elaborate, if you don't mind. What exact type of entertainment are you asking for? Because ... I can and will not comply to certain replies. I'm here to become a licensed doctor. If I wanted to go through with what my mind immediately figured you meant, trust me. I wouldn't even be here. I wouldn't bother with this training. I'd be with my female family members, following in my mother's and sister's footsteps."

She would be civil, but simultaneously very stern. Jovela would show him she truly was here for her ambitions. The more professional ones, at that rate; not the sleazy ones everyone assumed due to her heritage. And it was going to take a lot more tahn an intimidating look from the Klingnon to make her completely obey his words.

Reply #4
As dampened as the minds of the Klingon and Nurse Jovela were, Drauc blinked as he felt how agitated the Klingon became with the reply he got from the Risan.

"QI'yaH!" he barked at her, drawing himself up, and despite the gown on his hairy back, he might just have seemed imposing to the Risian, Drauc supposed idly. "Fancy words, all just saying 'no'. Certain replies, you say, but you mean you will not satisfy me. I crave nga'chuq! If you won't grant it, you Pahtak, I will claim it for myself..."

For a Klingon his size, he was quick, closing the distance and snatching the nurse's wrist. With a leer and a guttural noise out of his throat, he used his other hand to brush away her combadge from her chest, and fondle her in the same motion - keeping her close with his grip around her forearm. Without her combadge, she would be unable to call for aid, and Drauc realised his dilemma had come to its head. He closed his eyes, trying to shut everything out in vain. But the darkness made it worse - no distraction found from what was about to happen.

Would he intervene? The predatory nature of the Klingon's mind permeated Drauc's dampened senses, befouling him with its crude, oily touch. And then there was the sensation of Nurse Jovela's mind... He could almost see it happening through her eyes; the way the Klingon's gown had been thrust aside - a ridged phallus in front of her. No, he would not endure it. He had no choice but to act. Perhaps not out of empathy for the Nurse as much as his own conscience, and ease of mind. The loss of Kraun made him think there was no more compassion left in him, despite what he would do for the Nurse. Or, perhaps, he was just trying to convince himself that he cared not. Felt no more. Either way, he was standing next to his biobed, the transition from his prone position seamless.

"Release her," he rasped through his damaged vocal cords, and stared at the Klingon through the tresses of his burgundy hair. "Now."

He wold grant the Klingon one warning. No more.

OOC: Either NPC the Klingon in your reply as well, or wait for me to do it in my next turn. Both works, and unless you want her to be a damsel in distress, this could be a good time to show how far along Jovela's training was during her Academy days, right?

Reply #5

Jovela was by no means an expert in the Klingnon language. However, the tone alone made her flinch slightly. The foreign words sounded pretty angry, if not disappointed. Possibly both. As a Risan, she could see both sides of the coin. She could see exactly where the wounded soldier's frustrations were hailing from. But the real question was ... could he begin to understand where she came from?

Not likely, unfortunately.

Still, he wouldn't really resort to ...

Jovela gulped, her eyes staring in a mix of horror and dread. This was indeed a danger she'd been told about. Although rape was something to watch out for in every department, medical people seemed to have the worst cases of it. Gods help her, she'd wanted to believe that was just ... some made up rumor.

But as the Klingnon closed the distance, smacking away her combadge and - intentionally or otherwise - medkit, it was quickly becoming clear he was serious.

"You can't ... "

The tone in her own voice shifted faster than she could control it, raising. The formerly meek volume raised to a much more angry tone.

"Don't your people speak of honor so much?! Do you not see what you're doing is anything but honorable?!"

Would words even matter? They could have. Unfortunately, her choice of what to say had been a deadly one. This could bite her in the ass as easily as it could work for her. And it wasn't until after Jovela stopped and realized what she said that she understood how huge of a risk she'd taken. Still, the overly hopeful side of Jovela wanted to believe so. But the squeeze around her breast implied that ... it wouldn't be likely to work. It was probably going to get worse before better.

... Oh no. No, no, no, no, no. Now what?!

Her mind began to race, as did her heart. She was trying to make herself think coherently rather than repeatedly draw a blank, like she was currently doing.

Come on, Jovela. You're not stupid. Calm down. Step one, don't freak. Breathe.

Except ... every attempt to exhale caused her breath to get stuck in her throat again. What were meant to be calming and soothing breaths were rapid, desperate ones.

Goddamnit, no! You didn't leave home just to become an easy lay! Come on, Jovela!

Her teeth latched down onto her lower lip, hissing slightly as the pain helped give her the wake-up call she desperately needed. It may not have been the 'first step' she originally wanted to take, but whatever. It was something that was helping her begin to focus. To figure a plan out. And she'd take whatever she could get, especially if it'd aid Jovela in getting out of this predicament.

Alright. Good. Now, go back to your martial arts training. He is in a vulnerable position, even if he doesn't realize it himself ...

Which, admittedly, was a slightly amusing - ironic definitely - thought. One would assume a warrior, Klingnon or not, would realize that they were leaving themselves rather wide open. But then, he probably wasn't expecting much from her.

Ah well. His loss, her gain.

"Drauc is right. You will release me, one way or another."

When no move was made to heed her words, Jovela nodded. A powerful adrenaline rush had dominated most of her body and, thankfully, had helped her mostly ignore the unwanted gropes being given to her chest. At worst, her nipple had hardened, but more out of instinct than enjoying the touches.

The more idle hand that was merely holding her wrist to keep her still would be the first one to deal with. Jovela deftly moved it upward, looking as if she were starting to create an almost L-like shape in her arm and wrist. In the midst of her movement, she intended to make the Klingnon's own hand raise. When it got high enough, the distance between his thumb and the rest of his fingers would be weak enough for her to simply slip out.

Next was by far the most difficult but necessary test.

Jovela side-stepped, keeping most of her body out of immediate grabbing distance. The hand still fondling was brought forward and held in her own hands. Slowly, she began twisting on the wrist, one of the easiest locations on the body to hurt. It also held a good number of pressure points, and she intended to use that to her advantage.

The moment  Jovela got enough leverage against the Klingon and he finally let go, she jerked the arm upward and moved him into the Ikkyo position. One kneecap would be firmly pressed under his armpit. Meanwhile, one of her palms was pressed down tightly atop the Klingnon's elbow while the other remained close to his shoulder area.

"Drauc?" Jovela finally asked, lifting her head to look over at the other patient. "Since I'm occupied here, mind grabbing my combadge and calling security in for me? I'll keep him pinned while you do that. If you don't mind, that is."

OOC: So I have no idea if I described any of the movements well enough, but I hope the picture made up for that. xD
Either way, I sincerely hope it wasn't too confusing. And under normal circumstances, I wouldn't risk godmodding. But since even you said this could happen, I'm pretty sure you won't care as much. Right? ^^;;

Reply #6
[ Lt. JG Drauc T'Laus | San Francisco, 2375 | Starfleet Medical | Recovery Wards | 1830 hrs. ]
[Show/Hide]As Drauc saw what happened, it appeared the nurse was not without means to defend herself. The Klingon was big, even for his species, and yet Nurse Jovela applied leverage with her small body in a way that made him slam into the floor of the recovery ward. At first, while the nurse asked Drauc to call for security, the Klingon seemed dazed by the impact.

In answer to her query, Drauc quelled battle instincts that had risen inside him like bile, the memories of the engagement where Kraun had died still fresh. He had been animated by the dormant emotions, in wish to take out his ire upon the dishonourable Klingon, but now, he had nowhere to vent his anger. He reached down for the combadge on the floor, thrusting his thumb into it. "Security to recovery war-"

With a roar, the Klingon rolled away from the nurse, his size and strength enough to tear free from the hold upon his arm. Had Jovela been heavier, or the Klingon smaller, Drauc suspected the fight would have been ended. Yet now, the Klingon rolled over on his back and reached for Jovela's throat, meaning to catch her with his fingers around her delicate neck. His fangs bared, he tried to get his legs underneath himself, regaining his balance. Drauc saw the shift in the battle, suspected that the Klingon would attack Jovela first. If he had a secured grip around her neck, he could strike her with his other hand and break her neck with the force. Klingon were twice as strong as humans, and with such strength...

The combadge in his hand was already falling towards the floor. He didn't realise he had moved until he drove his own fist into the Klingon's cheek - the force of the blow dealt with the whole momentum of his weight. In case that did not dissuade the Klingon, Drauc didn't stop there. He could not stop now, not when he had found an outlet for all that had befallen him. The experiments. The incident where Kraun and he were exiled. Starfleet's hate towards Romulans. The Maquis. The Dominion War. Klingons. Cardassians. The Jem'Hadar. Kraun dying. Everything. He had felt dead inside when Kraun died. Now, in battle, he lived again, and he howled. Roared from the very guts of his soul.

He was on top of the Klingon, he realised, blood on his knuckles and his gown. He was panting, ragged breaths through damaged throat. How long had he been punching the Klingon below him? How many strikes had he dealt? Dark eyes centering upon the Klingon's face, there was no face any more. Pulped beyond recognition. Blood on the pristinely cleaned floor. How much time had passed? Face twisted, he looked towards Jovela.

She is a witness. Shamefully, it was his first notion, but he realised what he had just thought, and he felt defeated... even though he had just vanquished his advesary. He swallowed, tried to regain his breath, and lowered his eyes.

"My apologies," he said, knowing that she was obligated to report what had happened, and that he had used exessive force, killing her patient. He foresaw a hearing, and knew that the Romulan strength he held would also be the reason why they would strip him of rank and uniform - his race being his downfall.

From the combadge on the floor, a small voice met deaf ears in the quiet ward. [This is security. I repeat, what's your position? I repeat-]

"Nurse Jovela," said Drauc quietly, looking up at her again - voice thrumming deep down in his chest. "I am in no position to ask for anything... Yet I beseech you. Let me go. Help me flee."

Now, freedom and solitude were his only options.

Reply #7

Jovela's head turned, shock and belief quickly entering her eyes.

He .... really?!

It wasn't that she doubted the Klingnon's strength. But mustering up the will to break out of that wasn't something she'd planned on. Anyone sane enough would have accepted the pin, lest they wanted to risk breaking their elbow, arm, shoulder, or all of the above. Apparently, the Klingnon had gotten that desperate. And now that she saw and realized it for herself, Jovela hastily began trying to scoot back. Give herself distance. This could only get uglier.

"W-Wait, please! I didn't want to hurt you, I swear! But ... you left me no .... ahhhh!"

Jovela whimpered, tilting her head back frantically in a dire effort to keep some oxygen flowing to her body. The hand succeeded in finding its destination. The moment Jovela saw what the Klingnon wanted to do, however, she slid her left hand in between the Klingnon's. Her fingers were starting to become sore as pressure threatened to break all of the delicate bones in her digits.

"Stop. Please don't ... "

Jovela began to cough, kicking whatever was closest in range; shin, knee, something. Anything to try to make her assailant let go of her.

No! This can't be it! Not like this! I don't wanna die like this!

A weaker, but still pained, gasp elicited as the nurse-in-training was indeed let go. Maybe not because of her persuasion, but it was good enough. Drauc had kept his word and intervened. Helped her out which ... was appreciated. Most certainly.

When he didn't stop after two or even three punches, however, Jovela felt her jaw drop.

"D-Drauc! Stop! That's enough!"

The once immaculate floors began to turn crimson as each new, powerful punch from Drauc landed against the prone and now very defenseless Klingnon.

"DRAUC, STOP!"

Jovela took shaky steps behind him, but stopped. Would he instinctively hit her? She didn't know and didn't really want to find out. It was what kept her frozen in place, unable to do little more than stare in horror at Drauc.

Leaning down, the still trembling cadet grabbed and opened her medkit, pulled her medical scanner out, and hovered it over the Klingnon's body.

"Physical condition: Deceased"

The words made Jovela's blood freeze as she lifted her head, still taken aback at the sight before her, as well as the man who'd performed the act. "Drauc? Y-You .... really .... ??"

When he looked at her, she gulped.

Oh no. He's not going  to .... is he?!

It'd make sense, unfortunately. Jovela realized she was a witness to something major. So the real question came down to whether he'd resort to his own measures that were spinning wildly through the cadet's head or not. When it - amazingly - appeared he wouldn't quite beat her to death, a sigh of relief passed her lips.

Her head turned as Jovela first picked up the message from her combadge. She began walking over towards it, finally able to retrieve it. She only managed to pick it up in her hands before turning as her name was called; but this time, not from a name over a device, but instead, beside her. From none other than Drauc himself.

"I am in no position to ask for anything... Yet I beseech you. Let me go. Help me flee."

"Y-You must understand what you're asking of me. And yet ... "

Jovela bit her lower lip. She couldn't really do that, could she?

... If you don't, he'll be demoted. And it'll be all your fault.

More so when this was one of those times where excessive force had been needed. If Drauc hadn't used it - or rather, if she'd been able to contact security quicker - they would have had to  use weapons of their own. True, it would have been more ... professional? Trained? Words like that seemed to be the right ones, and yet they weren't all at once. The result of what happened with the Klingnon was unfortunate, very much so. Even as someone who likely would have raped her, probably worse, she hadn't been wishing ill will against him. The same was true with Drauc.

"However, what I can do is give you a route to take that is - at this moment - the least guarded. It should lead to the shuttles. But that's it. The moment I finish giving instructions, run. Because ... I can't keep ignoring this. And it'll be much worse for you if you they send a search party. So listen and pay heed to my directions very carefully. Please."

Swallowing nervously, Jovela stepped forward, placing her lips beside Drauc's ear. The instructions were in a swift but still audible and easy to understand voice.

"Now go," she repeated, whispering the command under her breath.

Jovela would wait. The second after he ran away, she counted to thirty in her mind before finally pressing down on her combadge. "Hello? This is Cadet Jovela. There's been an accident. I'm in the recovery wards, room 237A. I ... will need a professional, trained doctor. We have a patient down. I'll explain when security arrives."

As Jovela finished her message, she peeked out her door and down the hall, hoping not to see Drauc. Not because she hated him. No, no. It would mean he'd understood where to go and - more likely than not - had indeed escaped.

When she felt confident, she pulled herself back in the room and sat atop the bed Drauc had been occupying. Her right hand shakily clung onto her combadge, while her left held herself as tightly as possible while using only one arm. She'd probably need her own doctor to see. Any other novice could easily see poor Jovela was shaken up, likely now given a very strong dose of PTSD after what'd just happened.

OOC: I figured this way, it could be left open-ended and work with Drauc in any way, be it a 'good' or 'bad ending', as it were.

Reply #8
When she sat there on the biobed, Drauc returned to her, because even though he had done as she asked him to, respected her wish to not help him more than telling him which way to go, he had come to a stop outside the sliding doors. He had paused as he had seen his own reflection in the glass window in the corridor - a panoramic vista overlooking the Starfleet Medical campus. He might have seen that his hair had been in disarray, and he looked like an escaped patient from a miles away, but those were not the greatest issues.  What he had seen was his patient's gown, covered in blood, and hands sticky with Klingon. There was no chance he'd be able to reach the shuttles Jovela had spoken of. Instead, he took his chances with returning to her, even if time was short.

"Nurse," he rasped, feeling the vertigo from moving post-surgery and missing a step as he approached. He caught himself on the edge of the biobed, face close to hers. Supporting himself, he explained himself to her, and not by intimate whisper into her ear as she'd done it, but in raw syllables emphasised by pain. "I cannot take the direct route. I need clothing... lest I will never get there."

He did not admit to the fact that he wasn't sure he could make it there in his physical condition. He had to, as quickly as he could get his hands on some clothing that did not reek of murder and blood. "A closet... A storage room... Anything close to a replicator..." he ventured, then he realised that he would not be able to convince her lest she knew what his alternative was.

"Listen to me," he rasped, coughed into his arm, "I may have done something horrible in protecting you. I know this... Yet you must also know that I care not if I am stripped of rank and uniform. What I fear... is the likely exile to the Romulan Star Empire - back to my people."

With a shaking hand he raised it to the tresses of his burgundy hair that hung before his forehead, and he raked it all back to show her - to explain it for her. "My brother and I both have these scars, our foreheads disfigured by the Tal Shiar. My people used me and my brother, experimented upon us until we could sense the minds of those around us. They cut us and they tested us, over and over, and if I am exiled... I will return right into their hands. Therefore, I ask for your mercy, and for your help. Give me better chances to escape from here."

There was little time. The security guards were en route, and could appear through the sliding doors any moment. Drauc could but hope Nurse Jovela would hear his plea.

Reply #9

When he stopped in front of the doors, Jovela looked absolutely confused. What the hell was he doing? The answer literally came as he turned and revealed what she'd forgotten.

Sweet gods, Jovela! What's wrong with you?!

It wasn't to say her PTSD was unjustified. Far from it. But at the very least, yes. She most definitely should have thought about the need for a new outfit part. "Clothes, umm .... " Her mouth fell agape and stayed that way. She felt the same anxiety symptoms kicking in again. Her mind was beginning to draw a blank, even though she knew the answers, and Jovela's body started to tremble. Knowing perfectly well she was on an invisible timer - as was Drauc - was doing absolutely nothing to help the shaking out.

"I .... damnit!" she hissed through gritted teeth. "Excuse me. I just ... I need this ... "

Apparently, 'this' translated into her right hand raising and landing roughly on her own cheek. The stinging traveled rapidly through her body, helping wake the cadet up and simultaneously allowing her to think clearer. Smarter even. It was no doubt the most unorthodox way she'd discovered to help get her out of panic attacks, but it was - alas - one of the only methods.

"Okay," she mused, eliciting a long, deep sigh afterwards, "There aren't normal outfits for patients. We keep their original possessions stored away elsewhere. Which thus means, your best chance is over there." Jovela nodded  her head to a closet tucked away in the corner. "They're medical uniforms, but they'll have to do. There should definitely be at least one in your size."

He then took his turn to go on an explanation. It certainly helped in a few regards. Namely clearing up what was going through Jovela's head. Indeed, she had been thinking demotion was at the top of his list for things he was fretting about. So when he revealed otherwise, she tucked the information away. Of course, it seemed sorta redundant. What would it matter? He was about to leave, and probably wouldn't ever return.

... Yet somewhere, in the back of her mind, Jovela figured it would at least be something to tuck away and remember. Who knew, it may help later in the future? Until she could be given a reason to forget it, she kept it in her brain.

And ... her head nodded again to the closet, urging him to move and hurry up if he hadn't started doing so by now.

Out of respect and habit, her eyes shut when Drauc began to change. "Tell me when you're ready. Although I wasn't originally preparing to escort you personally, I have to. The next best route is much easier to show than explain."

Jovela absolutely abhorred lying. Especially when she had  to do it around or to people she respected. Such as her superiors, in this case. But ... it was needed. And because of how necessary it was, Jovela had a set of lies figured out to help explain why she wasn't in the room when the security guards arrived.

Gulping nervously, Jovela waited to hear the phrase she asked for prior to opening her eyes.

"Alright. Come on, quickly. This way."

Knowing there was no going back the moment the doors opened for them, Jovela took a somewhat shaky step forward, officially exiting what  used to be Drauc's room, and entered the hallways. He would soon see what she'd meant. It'd feel like they somehow entered a labyrinth with all the twists and turns that were needed to take. Yet as long as he was able  to remain close by, he would see in the span of a rather long and tedious fifteen minute walk that Jovela had kept to her word.

"This way to the shuttles is guarded with a password. A few reckless soldiers have repeated it before in front of me and some other medical staff though so ... I technically know it."

A weak, sly grin crossed her face as she quickly pressed down the correct set of numbers on the entry pad, trying to do so as quickly as possible in hopes her fingerprints wouldn't be as easy to recognize should this be linked back to her at all.

As the door opened, Drauc was greeted with the sight of the shuttles she'd mentioned earlier.

And just in time too, it would appear.

Sirens began to wail throughout the base, implying the Klingnon's body had indeed been found.

"Go!" she pleaded, knowing they were both at their 'now or never' moments. This would be the only chance he'd have to escape, and - in her own ways - it applied to Jovela also. She would be able to leave this exact location and, if it was even needed, work on her alibi.

"He took me hostage. Made me guide him out. He didn't say where to; he just jumped in the shuttle and left."

That was the plan that'd entered her head when Jovela promised herself she'd come up with a convincing lie. Even in her head, it sounded ... perfect. Convincing.

And that would be all Jovela would need to avoid getting her own demotion, or worse; expulsion from the Academy. She didn't want to, not when Drauc had technically done the right thing. She'd come too far and worked too damn hard to simply give up her dreams. And gods help her, she too - secretly - dreaded being forced to return home.

Because, believe it or not, she did not want to end up back on Risa. The moment she appeared back on her home planet, she would likely be forced to follow in her mother and sister's footsteps.

Her head shook, forcing the thoughts away as she waited first for Drauc to get in a shuttle and leave before turning and starting to back track to the room she'd just left herself.

What have you done?

Hopefully, saved her career, as well as someone who deserved being helped out. That was all she could pray would end up happening in the end.

Simple Audio Video Embedder