Skip to main content
Topic: DAY 03: Well-Earned Recognition [1500 hrs.] (Read 3889 times) previous topic - next topic

DAY 03: Well-Earned Recognition [1500 hrs.]

DAY 03: Well-Earned Recognition [1500 hrs.]

[ Main Sickbay | Deck 07 | 1500 hrs. ] Attn: Doc M.

In his office, Dr. Nicander, was currently going through personnel evaluation reports from the strife the Theurgy had suffered last - judging whether or not the performance of the people that worked in his department had been up to par. This would result in either transfers or future promotions - based on his recommendations.

Tossing one PADD to the end of his desk, Lucan got to his feet and stretched his legs. As a CMO, he felt that he had not the same amount of time to think about what was to come - the mission to the Black Opal depot followed by Starbase 84. To tell the truth, he had little time of his own, and had it not been for the light dalliances he entertained for sake of his hidden agenda, he felt rather alone in the position of running Sickbay with a firm hand. All for the benefit of appearance, of course, since the sinister plans of the thing inside forced him to remain a private man, regardless of his wishes. Perhaps he ought to reward himself with an afternoon off? How strange that would be, to just forego the doctrine he put himself through. Even in the eyes of the Captain, he was bound to have earned it, but what should he do?

Forestalling any further contemplation, the door chirped to announce a visitor, and he turned to face the door - hands in the pockets of his lab coat. "Enter," he said, and once he laid his pale grey eyes on the visitor, Lucan remembered the summons he had made. "Welcome, Dr. Maya."

He gave the Vulcan a warm smile but meant nothing more by it while he stepped behind his desk and extended his tattooed hand, gesturing for her to be seated. His overcast eyes perforated her, but the promise in them was nothing above commonplace friendliness. While his exotic Câroon demeanour was not sinister in its portrayal, it was not altogether spineless either. The appearance of his unkempt hair challenged the stillness of the office, raised and orphan in the scything winds of Envon as he was, and his movements were methodical - as if any misstep might be treacherous. Loosing control entailed the risk of a lethal fall where he came from, yet on the Theurgy, the risk was not just his, but anyone within his immediate reach. Controlling the parasite was his task as its host, and while his reins were slipping, insight grew, and he would soon learn what to do about his fate.

Was he an agent of his kin, or was he using them for his own purpose? A purpose which he had come to question, perhaps, unless the parasite was actively making him forget Kisane... and make its desires his own. For surely he had not come to care for the cattle on this doomed ship he served upon? The lies he told could not suddenly become a truth of their own. Or could they?

"How are you managing?" he kindly asked the Vulcan that he had made his own slave - his at the turn of a phrase. "I would like to know if you have had the time to meditate upon recent events, and settled back into your duties after that mission on the Allegiant."

OOC: Hope this works! :) Don't forget to post with Maya in the SAR, treating Aisha S'Iti before the next and last Escape Pod scenario (or at least the last one we will write out in full).

Re: Day 03: Well-Earned Recognition [1500 hrs.]

Reply #1
[ Ensign  Maya |  Main Sickbay | Deck 07 | 1500 hrs. ]  

"Welcome, Dr. Maya."

"Hello Doctor," Ensign Maya replied as she entered and sat in the offered chair with an eerily fluid movement.  "Here are the reports on the patients we rescued," she added as she handed him a PaDD.

"How are you managing?" he asked in a friendly casual voice.  "I would like to know if you have had the time to meditate upon recent events, and settled back into your duties after that mission on the Allegiant."

"It has been difficult," she admitted, although her body language and tone of voice made the admission seem casual.  "Thankfully I was given time to meditate after the memorial service.  After touching so many minds that were corrupted by T'Rena, a cleansing meditation was much overdue.  At this rate, it may require several weeks to purge myself of the contamination."  It was a genuine concern.  After touching so many compromised minds, were there 'backdoors' that could be used by hostile telepaths against her?  It was possible that she may have been preconditioned to perform actions against her will.  To really cleanse her psyche, she would have to perform a kys-sor-pann ritual to cleanse herself of any residual programming.  Unfortunately, that required a day of fasting followed by twelve hours of meditation, something she was unlikely to get given the medical department's current workload.

Reply #2
[ Main Sickbay | Deck 07 | 1500 hrs. ] Attn: Doc M. Attn: Doctor Maya

Lucan picked up the PADD that Doctor Maya proffered and skimmed the list of names. While she spoke, he tapped one of them, opening up the report about what she'd done upon rescuing a Harbinger crewman. She had obviously reported her medical performance in full, so Lucan put the PADD aside, to be read in full and logged later on, and instead gave the Vulcan his full attention. He folded his tattooed hands on the desktop and considered the doctor's personal needs, and did so in the light of his intentions for summoning her. Not the easiest of positions in a managerial sense, but he couldn't say he truly cared about her mental health. At least not further than how it may reflect upon him and his plans for her. He had to make a call, obviously, so he rationalised his decision in a positive way, or at least as positive as he might make it for the Vulcan... who likely didn't see it like that anyway.

"Given the fact that we are bound for Starbase 84 in just a couple of days, I am not sure you'll have weeks to devote to that purpose even if you were to take a leave of absence from Sickbay. I need you, but not at your personal expense and at the risk of endangering your health, so I am willing to let you take whatever time you need," he said emphatically, frowning as he looked towards the desktop - as if he was genuinely concerned for her, but did not fall silent. "If you are having doubts about whether or not you should leave us for a while, and would ask for my opinion... I would not presume to take Counsellor O'Connor's place and tell you whether or not you are able to tend to your duties in the wake of all that has happened. For who am I to guess at your mental health? All I know is that based on your excellent performance during the mutiny, and the responsibility you assumed in dealing with the compromised crew, I would like to promote you to Junior Lieutenant."

Having said this, he rose from his chair and walked over to a small storage compartment in the wall. "Not just during the mutiny, mind, but because of your performance in general over the course of the last couple of months. You have truly been a great asset to our team, and based on Lieutenant Commander Stark's and Deputy zh'Wann's reports from the mission on the Allegiant, your efforts at the planets you visited were essential to accomplishing the mission. ThanIda zh'Wann specifically detailed how you deployed an... I believe her words were 'unorthodox but effective tactic'... to subdue the wildlife at a planet named Varcae, and that if you hadn't done so, several people would have died. I can only imagine just how effective this tactic was if the Deputy left such high praise."

Returning to the desk, standing next to Maya, Lucan put a small box in front of her and opened it - revealing a black pip with a golden edge. "Whether or not you want to take some time to meditate, however long you need, do so knowing that you have done well, and I look forward to having you back here. The crew needs us, perhaps now more than ever given the two missions at hand."

Reeling her in, Lucan had no interest in her meditating, of course... since he did not want her to realise what kind of grip he had on her.

Reply #3
[ Lt. (jg) Maya |  Main Sickbay | Deck 07 ]

"Given the fact that we are bound for Starbase 84 in just a couple of days, I am not sure you'll have weeks to devote to that purpose even if you were to take a leave of absence from Sickbay. I need you, but not at your personal expense and at the risk of endangering your health, so I am willing to let you take whatever time you need," Doctor Nicander assured her.

"Thank you sir," Maya replied while bobbing her head to the right.

"If you are having doubts about whether or not you should leave us for a while, and would ask for my opinion," he continued.  "I would not presume to take Counsellor O'Connor's place and tell you whether or not you are able to tend to your duties in the wake of all that has happened. For who am I to guess at your mental health? All I know is that based on your excellent performance during the mutiny, and the responsibility you assumed in dealing with the compromised crew, I would like to promote you to Junior Lieutenant."

"Why thank you sir," she repeated, but this time there was more of a light in her large hazel eyes.  "Is this because of my actions during the mutiny?"

Having said this, he rose from his chair and walked over to a small storage compartment in the wall. "Not just during the mutiny, mind, but because of your performance in general over the course of the last couple of months,"  Lucan explained as he rose and went to a cupboard installed in the wall.  "You have truly been a great asset to our team, and based on Lieutenant Commander Stark's and Deputy zh'Wann's reports from the mission on the Allegiant, your efforts at the planets you visited were essential to accomplishing the mission," he added as he retrieved a small box and walked back to the desk.  "ThanIda zh'Wann specifically detailed how you deployed an... I believe her words were 'unorthodox but effective tactic'... to subdue the wildlife at a planet named Varcae, and that if you hadn't done so, several people would have died. I can only imagine just how effective this tactic was if the Deputy left such high praise."

Maya face greened at 'such high praise'.  It was apparent that she was not used to being congratulated.  "I am deeply honored," she said with respectful nod.  A part of her was impressed with Lucan's ability to convey emotion so conversationally that it was reminiscent of Vulcan rationality.  His self-discipline seemed effortless, but after months on the run from Starfleet, even a Vulcan had to put effort into self-control.  He was truly inspiring as a leader and Maya decided to stop focusing on herself and focus on his leadership style.  As irrational as the wish was, someday she hoped to instill the same kind of confidence in her own subordinates.   It didn't matter that it was unlikely to impossible she would ever run a medical department herself.  When faced with a situation where success was a near impossibility, unrealistic optimism was a logical option if failure was not an option.

Doctor Nicander was at her side, placing a small box on the desk in front of her and opening it  to reveal a black pip with a golden edge.  "Whether or not you want to take some time to meditate, however long you need, do so knowing that you have done well, and I look forward to having you back here. The crew needs us, perhaps now more than ever given the two missions at hand."

"I couldn't possibly leave you shorthanded during the raid on the supply depot scheduled for tomorrow Doctor," she assured him as she rose from her chair in an eerily fluid movement.   To her credit, her large hazel eyes could convey sympathy as well as surprise.  "Perhaps afterwards.  I assure you that I am willing and able to take on the responsibilities that go with this promotion," she continued as her long spidery fingers plucked the rank pip from the box and fastened to her collar.  "I won't disappoint you," she declared matter-of-factly as she looked up at him.  From a certain angle, the neutral expression on her face appeared to almost be a smile.

Reply #4
"Knowing you... I know you won't," said Lucan and as he stood by her side and returned her smile - a mask of deceit worn for other benefits.

For his pale grey eyes had drifted to the pip in her collar, and he was reminded about why he had summoned her aside from the mechanics of his Starfleet charade. Aye, for there was another junior lieutenant whom had come to Sickbay, and Lucan had learned something that he could use. Something for benefits too many to show mercy. Only now, with Maya's presence, could he finalise what he had begun. He blinked slowly, recalling just how easily he had made the Vulcan his instrument... and raised a tattooed hand towards her face. It was the literal grip he had on her, and he put his fingers around her very soul.

Circling Doctor Maya in the medical storeroom as Lucan spoke. "When you wake up, you will do so under the following condition. At any point when I'd lay my hand upon your cheek and look into your eyes, like this,'' he said, and did so with his free hand - staring into her blank eyes, "you will, by instinct and without delay, make yourself enter this kind of trance again... with the same spoken word meant to wake you from it... which I now will wake you with."

Removing his hand, Lucan stepped back a little, and ended it. "Birdcage."

His palm - worn by mountain and wind - now laid against the Vulcan's cheek, and Lucan stared into those blank eyes once more - this bird caught in his cage. She was caught, his, and he had a task for her. Something highly specific, which did not involve the carnal hunger of the thing inside him. It had already tasted the Vulcan, and was no longer famished for her, so for once, the demon behind Lucan's eyes shared his thoughts - interests mutual. It was a relief, Lucan found, to not always have to fight his second will.

So when he dropped his tattooed hand, he slid his fingertips down the Vulcan's neck. He traced a vein down her skin and the smile drained from his exotic face - the mask cast aside. He was a pragmatic predator, and he was about to instigate something quite refined. A refined necessity, as it were, yet in its execution, quite a masterpiece. It was not often he had to make such acts, yet when he did, he always prevailed... and the cattle around him were none the wiser. As he spoke, his hard fingers came to toy with her collar and her new rank insignia, as if he was admiring the fit of a uniform he had put on body in the morgue.

"On the morrow, when we reach the Black Opal, you will volunteer for stand-by duty in the Fighter Assault Bay. Do you understand?"

Re: DAY 03: Well-Earned Recognition [1500 hrs.]

Reply #5

"I understand," the little Vulcan replied in a quiet detached tone.  When Lucan had placed his hand on her, she had stood up straight and looked straight ahead, her large hazel eyes unblinking.   Apparently the post hypnotic command had not lost any of its power over Maya.  It was even possible that touching so many minds that were programmed to obey had actually bolstered the post hypnotic command and enabled it to resist the eroding effects of the little Vulcan's daily mediations.  "Tomorrow I will volunteer for stand-by duty in the Fighter Assault Bay." 

Since the command didn't contradict the little Vulcan's nature, there was no conflict.  Maya's reply wasn't stilted or spoken in a monotone.  She had replied in a conversational tone as if Lucan's request was the most natural thing to say in known space. 

OOC:  Goodness, I'd completely forgotten about the post hypnotic command! 

Reply #6
Lucan was not done with his instruction.

"When you report for duty in the Fighter Assault Bay, it will be before this ship arrives to its next destination," said Lucan, and he smiled to his little bird - tracing a fingertip across her lips. "After you have prepared the triage module and set up your equipment, you will request that Junior Lieutenant Isley undergoes a brief check-up for the injuries he sustained during an arranged sparring match in the gymnasium. It will be in his journal, that he needs the examination before he is cleared to participate in the mission to the Black Opal."

Having said this, Lucan circled around Maya slowly. Once he was behind her, he spoke right next to her ear - his tattooed hand brushing her hair away. "He will be in some pain still, his injuries not entirely healed yet. Not so much that it might stop him from performing his duties, mind, but enough that it would be advisable to administer a light anaesthetic. The kind you'd offer for a headache, no more... and no less."

In fact, Lucan would ensured that the pilot would still be in some discomfort, so unless Maya saw it in her scans, the pilot work tell her.

"What you will do, is to administer a very specific anaesthetic with your hypospray. You will give him a single cc of hyvroxilated quint-ethyl metacetamin as opposed to any other anesthetic agents we have. Do you understand?"

It was, after all, not that strange a request, only very, very specific...

Reply #7

"Yes, Doctor, I understand," the little Vulcan replied in a casual conversational tone.  "After I have prepared the triage module and set up my equipment, I will request that Junior Lieutenant Isley undergo a brief check-up for the injuries he sustained during an arranged sparring match in the gymnasium.  According to his journal, he needs the examination before he can be cleared for duty.  In order for him to participate in the mission to the Black Opal, I will have to give him a single cc of hyvroxilated quint-ethyl metacetamin.  Is there anything else, Doctor?"

Despite the fact that her large unblinking eyes were still staring straight ahead of her, her manner seemed calm and collected.  As a matter of fact, her demeanor seemed more normal and natural now that she was in a trance than it normally did when she was in full possession of her facilities.  Apparently Lucan's instructions created no conflict in her subconscious mind.  On the contrary, his orders seemed to dispel whatever internal conflicts that were currently plaguing the little Vulcan.

Reply #8
"No, that will be all. And of course, you will not remember having had this conversation with me." Lucan said this as he stepped away from her, pleased that there had been no need to ascert his mental hold on her. After all, he was asking for little, and none of it out of he ordinary. It just had to be done just so, and he could not trust her to follow instructions and keep her mouth shut about it. Therefore, he had to ascert his hold on her again.

"Furthermore, when you will meditate upon any dealings with me specifically. I am void to your therapy, unneccesary to consider as you think about what happened before, during and after the mutiny. Understood?"

Having said this, Lucan had no need to ask more of her. Therefore, he came to stand where he had been before her trance - in front of her.

"Birdcage," he said, and smiled to her. "I will announce your pomotion to the team in a short while. Did you have anything else to ask of me?"

Reply #9
[ Main Sickbay | Deck 07 ]  A joint post between Auctor Lucan and Doc M.

"Furthermore, when you will meditate upon any dealings with me specifically, I am void to your therapy, unnecessary to consider as you think about what happened before, during and after the mutiny. Understood?"

"Yes Doctor, of course," she replied promptly.  "There is no need to consider any dealings with you during my meditations.  You are not related to any psychological aberrations that I have experienced."

"Birdcage," he said, and grinned as she rapidly blinked and adjusted her posture. "I will announce your promotion to the team in a short while. Did you have anything else to ask of me?"

"Yes Doctor, I was wondering if anyone had volunteered for stand-by duty in the Fighter Assault Bay tomorrow.  I understand that Lieutenant Isley recently had his ribs mended and I'd like to clear him for duty before the raid on the Black Opal facility.  You will be needed here and my background in neurology makes me the logical choice."

Lucan nodded to her with the ghost of a smile on his lips, as if in approval. "Agreed. As far as I know, there are no volunteers, so I will add it to the schedule."

"Thank you sir," she replied with a respectful nod.  "Due to his Terran/Vulcan heritage it's possible that any anaesthetic I give him may have unexpected side effects.  I would estimate that hyvroxilated quint-ethyl metacetamin is our safest choice, do you concur?" she asked in a straightforward professional tone. 

"I trust your judgement in this, Doctor Maya," answered Lucan kindly and returned to his seat. He folded his tattooed hands on his desk and gave it some thought. "As far as I am aware, without consulting the database, that anesthetic has no documented reactions with either copper- or iron-based blood, so you might be correct."

"Very well," she replied with with a respectful nod. "If there is nothing further I shall return to duty."

As she left Nicander's office and continued with her day she had no inkling that the motivation for checking up on Lieutenant Isley was not her own.  She probably would have been horrified if she had known the truth, or the consequences for following what she believed was her own medical opinions.  In any case, even if she had been horrified it was unlikely she would let it show.  Her mind was too much of a well programmed machine for that, but the question now was, programmed by whom?

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder