Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [1800 hrs.] Patrol Guidelines Clearly State! (Read 2960 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [1800 hrs.] Patrol Guidelines Clearly State!

Day 02 [1800hrs] Patrol Guidelines Clearly State!

Nathaniel "Icarus" Isley | Vector 2 The Sword | Fighter Assault Bay ] Attn: @Even Angels Cry
[Show/Hide]

It took all day, and some change, but Nathan was back in the tactical power suit on the flight deck staring down at the next and last challenge. His Valkyrie hadn't moved from where he had parked it. After Skye Carvers death at his hands this thing had been gone over with a fine comb. Disassembled and reassembled, with every part put back into place, every setting reviewed.

Two weeks ago he had failed this bird not the other way around. He had been demoted, thrown in the brig, outcasted, and grounded, and because of his grounding they had lost more good pilots. He placed a hand on the nose of the valkyrie and closed his eyes. The last time he had gone out there he had killed a woman, now he was a little more nervious, and then there was the pilot he was flying with.

Just yesterday he had been here and nearly had two people kill him, now one of those people were in stasis, and all hopes of patching things up with Rawley were gone as well. Which really meant they needed the new blood. He knew that some of them had been retrained, and now he was taking one of them out. He didn't know if he was completely comfortable with that idea.

Then again aboard this ship his comfort was probably the last thing that mattered. "Well old girl are you ready to face the vacuum again?"

HIs ship gave no indication of it's preference.

Nathan put on his helmet and walked up to the seat of his ship. Going over the checklist everything rang green, but he still double checked the friendly fire locks were on. He had too. Sitting in this seat he was nervous. "This is Icarus to my second, who's flying on my wing today?"

He gave a shoulder check, for a moment. "It's a simple patrol." He muttered under his breath not realizing he hadn't turned off his comline. "We do this by the book, and then no one ends up dead... in the highly explosive gas."

Re: Day 02 [1800hrs] Patrol Guidelines Clearly State!

Reply #1
LT JG Alessia Garcia, Callsign "Angel"|  Vector 2 The Sword | Fighter Assault Bay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Kaligos
[Show/Hide]

Alessia looked herself over in the mirror.  Her flight suit glimmered under the ship's artificial lighting.  She rechecked each adjusted strap, buckle and fastener.  Satisfied that everything fit appropriately, she quickly braided her hair and walked out into the fighter bay.  Missions like this were routine, but she couldn't help feeling a little on edge. 

Normally, Sehl would be walking beside her, making idle chitchat.  Today though, he was in Sickbay.  He had been admitted the night before and though Thea had given her the initial diagnosis, Sehl still wasn't better.  Alessia was certain that the doctors aboard the Theurgy could treat his illness in minutes.  He should have been released by now.  She should have been by to visit him, but since the moment she found out, she had been on duty.  Part of her hoped that when she finally had the chance to go, he'd be released and resting up.  Either way, once her shift was over she would ask Thea for an update on his whereabouts and head there straightaway.

Right now though, she needed to focus on the task at hand.  Alessia's valravn sat ready for her, but she still did a quick walk-around before getting in.  She had been taught since day one that it was the Pilot's job to ensure the safety of her crew.  This meant checking the craft over before and after missions, and guaranteeing that regular maintenance was being done.  While she wasn't required to know the intricate details about the mechanics of the ship, she was expected to have a basic understanding of it.  To that end, Alessia now checked her bird for any external indicators that something might be amiss.  After all, she was on a new ship that was unequipped to handle a fighter like hers.  She had expected to find one or two things that needed minor adjustments, but instead the exterior of her ship seemed to be in top shape.  Despite their unfamiliarity with the AC-477 Mk I Valravn fighters, the deck crew had done an impeccable job.

Pleased with this, she unfastened her helmet from the ladder hook and slipped it on over her head.  After a minor adjustment to it's position against her flight suit, her fingers nimbly locked it into place and she climbed aboard.  With the hatch now closed and the ship powering on, she made a note to thank CWO Sten Covington, the Chief of the Deck.  Whatever he had done to inspire his crew, it had worked and they had learned basic care for her valravn in record time.

Alessia checked that her internal systems were operational and functioning appropriately as her flight partner's voice came across the comline. 

"This is Icarus to my second, who's flying on my wing today?"

"Hola Icarus, this is Angel.  I'll be flying with you today.  Let's keep this as routine as possible."  Her reply was quick and concise.  And his response was equally fast, though she wasn't sure if he was trying to intimidate her or just trying to abate his own fears.

"It's a simple patrol.  We do this by the book, and then no one ends up dead... in the highly explosive gas."

"Icarus, I can assure you that no one will die today.  As far as we know, there are no hostiles in the area and our sensors can pick up the gas pockets.  I've got your wing, so you have nothing to worry about.  I'll get you home safe."
"Relationships are not my strong suit; I deal in evenings."
 - Jaya Thorne, Asst. Chief CONN Officer, Ensign [Show/Hide]

Reply #2
Nathaniel "Icarus" Isley | Vector 2 The Sword | Fighter Assault Bay ] Attn: @Even Angels Cry
[Show/Hide]

Nathan sat in his Valkyrie doing a triple check of both his ship, and himself. He was doing things like taking his pulse. He had almost gone to sickbay to have himself checked over but after the happenings with Doctor Maya he was probably never going to go to that place ever again. Still there was apparently a very contagious virus on board, and he had no intentions of catching that.

As far as he could tell he was just nervious, which was compounded on when he heard Angel responding to things he didn't think he had voiced to her. Yet she had taken it as if he was concerned from himself. The thought was almost laughable in a way. He still didn't have much love or care for himself.

Even before he had lost his wings he had been a risk to himself. He had always flown too far away from the group, or caused undue attention to himself. His old title of Maverick had been well earned, as he had flipped off authority figures and generally made an ass of himself. That attitude is what had caused them to find the planet Niga, and resulted in half the crew getting raped. In a way he could trace back every single disaster that this ship had suffered to something he had done. Which meant that he was long over due for the grim reaper. At this point he deserved to die probably more than anyone else aboard this vessel, so why would he care if he didn't come back? He would have killed himself, but deep down he was a coward, and even if he had found a way to secure the means he couldn't actually do the act.

He stayed quiet about all of this though. If he had spoken up about his feelings than he would be sent to therapy, and again he had no intention of seeing a doctor again any time soon. With Angels words still though he was a little worried that she had gotten the wrong idea, but had no idea how to say 'hey sorry about that what i mean is that I don't want to accidently kill you like I did one of my other teammates last week.'

That was usually the wrong way to go about introductions. Instead he tried his best to stay positive. "Thanks for that." He decided it was better to just play it off as his own fears than to let someone else know just how many jitters he had. "Angel, you fly one of the new ships right? The ones that take two to tango in?"

He started up his engine, and started moving towards the exit, waiting at the edge of the bay, as the doors opened. "This is Icarus to opps asking permission to launch for patrol start, waiting on my wing, and we can begin thank you."

Re: Day 02 [1800 hrs.] Patrol Guidelines Clearly State!

Reply #3
LT JG Alessia Garcia, Callsign "Angel"|  Vector 2 The Sword | Fighter Assault Bay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Kaligos
[Show/Hide]

This wasn't Angel's first rodeo and she knew a troubled pilot when she heard one.  His greeting had been pleasant enough, but it betrayed an underlying nervousness.  She had assumed that was why he'd added that bit about the explosive gas, though perhaps he was distracted enough to not realize he'd said it over comms.  If that was the case, then Angel wondered if he had the mental clarity to fly this mission.  If his thoughts were anywhere other than on his duties, they could both be in danger.  This nebula was riddled with dangerous sirilium gas pockets that were invisible to the naked eye, though they were detected easily enough with scanners.  Flying through one of the pockets could potentially ignite it, and if they were unlucky enough, the explosion would set off a chain reaction throughout the nebula.  Such a detonation would  end the Theurgy and their plight against Starfleet.

Alessia had no plans of dying today, and if her wingmate was distracted then she'd just have to make up for his deficiencies. 

"Angel, you fly one of the new ships right? The ones that take two to tango in?"

Icarus' voice seemed bolstered this time, if only a little.  She hoped it wasn't some false bravado or a poor attempt at machismo1, but she was glad to hear it nonetheless.  It eased the burdens already on her mind.

"Si, we can fly with a rear intercept officer, but we don't have to.  I can do everything myself; it's just easier to have one officer focus on flight while another focuses on comms, firepower and other things. But my RIO is sick today,  so I'm flying this baby solo."  The thought of Sehl just laying in sickbay was disturbing, especially since no new information had been passed to her about his condition.  She had requested Thea alert her to changes, so perhaps no news was good news?  She had to hold on to the hope that he had been treated and released; she had to hope that she'd see him when her shift was over.

Angel's valavn flared to life moments after Icarus' did.  She followed his lead as the two very different crafts taxied towards the FAB doors and waited for clearance to leave.

"This is Icarus to opps asking permission to launch for patrol start, waiting on my wing, and we can begin thank you."

She responded in kind.  "Flight Leader 13 to Deck Control.  This is Angel and Icarus.  Our birds are prepped and ready for the fly by.  Requesting permission to launch, over."

1.) Machismo = a strong sense of aggressive masculine pride.  According to wikipedia... Machismo (ma-CHEZ-mo); Spanish:; Portuguese: (from Spanish and Portuguese "macho", male[1])) is the sense of being 'manly' and self-reliant, the concept associated with "a strong sense of masculine pride: an exaggerated masculinity." [2] It is associated with "a man’s responsibility to provide for, protect, and defend his family."[3]

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]

If anything Icarus was feeling a little too hyper sensitive. It wasn't like the last time where his controls felt weighted, that had been pretty well established to be because he had been drugged. No this was a little different. He was feeling like he was on edge, and couldn't shake the feeling either. It was like at any second his heart could leap out of his chest. He was back with a set of wings, and now he just needed to make sure he still knew how to use them.

It wasn't like there was a chance to get behind the wheel of a sim, and he had only been grounded for a week, but it had felt like an eternity since he had been in white, and honestly he wasn't comfortable. It was like someone else had put on his skin, he felt nervous and he could tell that the other pilot could see it the same way. If he was questioned he would have to be truthful.

"Okay Wolf 04, and wolf 13 you are clear to launch."

Nathan almost didn't move, there was a slight two second delay in his launch as he had to remember that he was 04 now. Not only had he killed Skye, but in the ensuing chaos he had gone up a number. He was so used to being wolf 05, but he supposed he would also have been used to being called Maverick, another dead number for a dead name. Some could say that choosing a name where the guy in the story fell and died is a bit of an omen, but the story of Icarus is one of humility, it's about admitting the fault, and knowing your place. It was a warning that he couldn't fly that high again, both figuratively and literally in his case.

Up and out of the fighter bay he now only had his wing girl to watch him. Flying between the sections of the theurgy he was amazed by the sheer size of the ship, and the swurling colors of blue around it. It was like something out of a painting. "Pretty, shame it can blow up at any second."

"Sorry to hear about your RIO, I guess it just means that I get to be the one to keep you company for the night shift." His eyes were more focused on the sensors than on his windows, since it was like they were flying blind anyway it was better to just read the targeting computers.

"So Angel we have about three hours to kill, and nothing to really look at aside from repair crews, got any fun stories to pass the time with?" Her callsign was almost as bad as his. Some part of him wanted to make a crack about if she was a fallen angel? did she have a bit of a devilish side, the old him had a million and three lines he could work to use on her.  'did you fall out of heaven Angel?' However considering how the last time he had sex went down, yeah he wasn't pushing any of those buttons just yet.

In fact he was actually more focused on doing his job for once. "I'm gonna apologize for the rust on my bird, it's been a little while since we've been reunited, but the crews went over her with a fine tooth and comb, she's in perfect working condition." He only hoped the same could be said about him.

Reply #5
With the all clear given, Angel lined up her exit and lifted off the flight deck.  Two seconds later she was outside the ship and staring at the swirling array of gaseous colors dancing among billions of white shining stars.  Angel brought her bird around to take Icarus' wing, but she gave herself a wider berth than normal.  The siriluim gas would make it difficult to fly strictly in formation, so had left space for evasive maneuvers.  Once she was in position, she targeted a particular cloud and marked it's position.

"Thea are you onboard?"

[Affirmative.]

"Thea, please calculate the distance of this gas pocket that I have just flagged relative to the Theurgy.  When we finish this run, we'll see if it has moved at all."

[Calculations are complete.  I will repeat them when your valravn passes by again.  If you are trying to determine the potential shift in the sirillium gas masses, I recommend tagging one pocket on each side of me.]

"Good idea, Thea.  I'll inform you of the other pockets I mark when I find them."

Angel hoped the pockets remained stationary, otherwise half of these dangerous patrol runs were for naught.  Still, she had a job to do, so she began plotting and logging the closest clusters to the Theurgy.  Long and short range sensors were active, the latter for the gaseous clouds but the former was just in case unwanted company arrived.

Several breathtaking minutes passed before either pilot spoke to the other.  It was Icarus sentiment that broke the silence, though not in a way Angel had expected.  His observation caused her to smile.  "It's beautiful.  And deadly.  Like so many things are."  And then his topic switched to Sehl.  "Gracias.  We were paired up initially becuase our strengths and weaknesses complimented each other, but we got lucky.  Our personalities didn't clash and we just stuck together.  He's flown with me on every mission since I arrived on the Orcus.  It's somehow fitting that now that we're here, he's not with me anymore."  She paused, wondering if maybe Sehl wanted a new flight leader.  He was a talented officer in his own right, he could request a different pilot or even train to become one himself.  And she could be assigned a new RIO if he chose not to come back.  She really needed to visit sickbay when this was all said and done.  "I'm sure he's in good hands though.  I have faith that the doctors on-board will help him, and in time maybe we will fly together again.  Until then, the company is welcome."

Angel flew wide to avoid a cluster.  Her sensors alerted her to two more blocking her forward path, so she dove down to evade them as well.  So far, the flying was easy as long as she kept her focus primarily on the sensor scan.  But Icarus wanted to talk, and she agreed that talking was a good way to build camaraderie and ease ones nerves.  So she indulged him.  "A story?  Hah, give me time to think of one I guess." She had always been the recipient of the stories when Jonas was alive.  But now.. she'd need time to think of something unrelated to her brother.  "My valravn is a little worse for wear since the battle, but most of her damage is cosmetic now.  The deck crew did an amazing job on the repairs, and thankfully the damage wasn't as bad as it seemed.  Still, she's seen better days.  As long as it gets you where you're going safely, It's fine by me.  Besides, scars can add character."  Alessia didn't have any physical scars herself, but she'd seen plenty on others.  She never understood why someone would choose to keep healed scars on their body or their vehicles when they could easily be removed.  But after Jonas, everything changed.  She wished she had a scar that she could see or feel, but death only left scars on your heart. 

Angel drew in a deep breath and pushed the thoughts away.  Her brother been actively on her mind in years.  Why had her thoughts been drifting to him so much lately?  It made her want a drink.  A real one.  She gulped, remembering the feeling of that sweet, slow burn cascading own her throat and the beautiful numbness it gave her.  No, she couldn't!  She'd been sober now for all these years!  But no one here would know except Sehl.  She never told any other her fellow white wolves why she didn't drink.  She imagined they all assumed it was against her religion or something crazy like that.  But Sehl knew.  She had told him once and since then, he had been her pillar and her rock when she felt like her foundations were crumbling down.  But Sehl was gone too, even if it was only temporary.

"How did you come up with your callsign, Icarus?  And what do you enjoy doing for fun?"  Conversation went two ways and it was time for her to ask the questions.  "As for a story, there was once a little girl who was as sweet as can be.  She was nice to everyone and smiled a lot and all the people liked her.  Then she found trouble.  Trouble made her mean and rude and crass.  She learned how to defend herself, and then she learned how to fight back.  She learned to take more than she gives.  She learned that people are cruel.  But in the middle of her dark times, there was a light that shone brighter than all the others.  It was her guardian angel and he protected her from all the evil and cruelties of the world.  She felt safe in his shadow and tried her best to be just like him.  She became sweet again and remembered what it felt like to laugh and love.  This little girl wasn't so little anymore, and life seemed to be at it's fullest for her.  Then, tragedy.  Her guardian angel fell.  His white steel wings were exchanged for concrete ones and everyone for miles around mourned him.  But no one mourned more than that little girl.  But before he died, he told her a secret.  All his life, she'd been his Angel and he'd been her champion."  Angel paused, catching her breath.  Why on earth had she decided to tell this story?  There was no way Icarus wanted to know but, now it was all out there and she might as well finish the story. "That's where my callsign comes from.  My brother gave it to me.  Sorry for the sad story though."

Reply #6
Setting a standard patrol and putting the bird on auto pilot helped to block out the urge for some fancy flying. Technically Nathan shouldn't even be in a bird yet as he hadn't had his medical exam yet which would let him requalify for flight duty. There had been an arranged time for it, yet he had been oddly absent from the local sickbay during the time.

It also made his flying seem lame, safe and measured by comparison, not that he wasn't doing what he could for the ship. His bird was busy tagging the work crews aboard the sword, flying above them, looking up through his window he could actually wave to some of the poor bastards who got sent out on a space walk. He would not want to be any of them.

So with the bird flying it's self under patrol guidlines the pilot was busy tagging the work crews inspecting them from the air to assure that there would be no more random explosions, and to keep track of them for their own safety, he was busy listening to Angel.

Her story hurt, he sighed thinking that they could have started off with something fun, but it seemed she wanted to talk about how they took their names, and it so turned out that she had at one time had a brother. Nathan wouldn't know what that was like. He had been raised an only child, and had no idea that status could have changed.

Then again his mother had also told him he had been half vulcan his entire life. When it turns out she had been a romulan spy so what the fuck did he know when it came to family? The wolves were the closest thing he had to that level of trust, and he was the outcast of the family now.

Which of course was why he sighed into the microphone when her story was over. "Shit."

How was he supposed to react to that brutal level of honesty? He had never done anything like that entire life, and she had asked about the one story he had wanted to avoid telling.

"It's no problem, but I don't think we get to cheer up anytime soon if you wanna hear my story. Just uh hold your judgement till the end of the story if you would?"

Nathan's voice was slightly nervous as he tried to come up with where he wanted to start with this. The beginning was a long way away. "I've been with the theurgy since we started this whole voyage of the damned. I fought in pretty much every major engagement the ship has been in, but my callsign wasn't Icarus, it was Mavrick."

"And like every Mavrick before me I was the top of my flight school, the best wing in the ship. I'm sure your squad has had a few of them, they don't tend to last as long as I have. I'm not saying I'm better than them, I'm saying I got lucky, but you can only fly with that attitude and luck for so long." He shook his head wanting to cut communications go silent, and ignore this conversation, but she had been open with him, so he had to be open with her.

"I didn't fly in the battle of starbase 84, because the battle before it on Black Opal I did something that got me grounded. I had gone to sickbay to get a physical the day of the battle. This nurse saw to me, and drugged me, sent me on my way giving me the all clear. I climbed into my valkyrie, and I killed one of our own pilots. I ignored my valk's warnings about friendly fire because I was high."

He let out a slightly frustrated if annoyed sound. "I didn't mean too, but just like that I was in the brig. The security officers didn't find anything, the drug had passed through my system after I had puked my guts out on black opal, and we vaporized that place before anyone even thought of giving the vomit a drug check. Which meant it looked like I had killed a woman I had occasionally slept with in cold blood."

Even the captain had accused him of committing the murder out of some sort of jealous rage.

"So I gave a false confession, got moved to security. I had this whole plan involving espionage and everything. I had a list of suspects i was building, I even replicated a corc board complete with tac's and red twin to file out my conspiracy, I was going to find out what happened that day if it killed me, and she just confesses! Out of nowhere she just turns around and is like Oh btw I may have drugged one of your pilots. It was a footnote in a confession of a bunch of other crimes she had committed while she was asleep!" Nathan's voice went from shameful to angry at the end his rant leaving him huffing for a moment. His voice imitating Maya was nothing more than the most insulting and insufferable Vulcan accent he could muster.

"So I got cracked down to ensign for falsifying my confession, but I was given my wings back. and it was then that I came back to the fable of icarus." Nathan was tense after all that he honestly could have done with a drink.

"His father gave him wings made of wax, both him and his sister warned him to fly low. In all his arrogance he thought he knew better than the gods that surrounded him. His wings were a miracle they worked well, but the idiot ignored the warnings and as he soared too high they melted and he crashed to the ocean and drowned." Honestly what he really wanted was to crawl into a bed with someone anyone else, but he had no one he could call on anymore. Apparently even Rawley was gone now, which really meant he had no friends aboard this ship anymore, and after all he had just told this complete stranger he doubted she would want to hang around him.

Nathan shook his head. "It's a warning to me, I took the name Icarus so that I would remember that I only have these wings so long as I use them correctly. I can still be the best pilot in the fleet, but arrogance has no place behind the wheel. If I hadn't ignored my bodies warnings, or the  warnings of my friendly fire system, Skye, and a host of others would still be alive today."

"You asked me what I do for fun... sorry I haven't been very fun to fly along side today. I usually work out, In my off time you can find me in the gym." He said returning to his scanners, and marking one of the shuttles in passing.

Reply #7
"Its alright. We've all done things we're not proud of. We all bear the scars of our decisions.  But those things we hate about ourselves actually help us grow stronger in time.  We lose our innocence, our naivety, but we gain wisdom and learn how to live with the pain.  I know I have."  Brutal honesty hadn't been Alessia's plan, but she had inadvertently steered the conversion that way.  The last two days had begun innocent enough but now the theories were riddled with holes and her faith in everything was slipping slowly from her grasp.  Maybe that's why she felt like she was in such a funk?  Maybe it was this ship?

Alessia let her gaze wander to the viewscreen. There was serenity in the deadly beauty that lingered just inches away, past the safety of her cockpit.  The nebula didn't love or hate.  It required no complicated questions on belief vs facts.  It would accept her just the same as those poor people walking on the hull. One wrong step, one miscalculation and a person would be little more than space debris.

An alarm sounded in her cockpit as Alessia neared too close to a gas pocket. The noise startled her. She checked her screen and yanked up on the throttle, narrowly missing an unstable had cloud.   The excitement got her heart pounding in her chest, and for several seconds after she felt the rapid vibrations.  When they subsided, an idea came to mind.

"Sorry about that.  I was thinking, it sounds like we could both use a distraction.  Something to get us out of our own heads. How do you feel about parasailing?  I've got a holodeck program I could run for us, if you're interested.  Or if that's not your thing, we could do a different activity.  I've been ice climbing, base jumping, wind surfing, survival camping, extreme mountain climbing.. I'd be happy to run a program with you.  Who knows, it might even be fun." Did she need to explain her real reasons behind this suggestion?  That if she didn't do something soon, she didn't trust herself to stay sober?  No.  That was her secret and it felt safe, tucked away in her own mind where no one else knew about it.  Maybe later, when she got to know them a little better,  she would share and let her new friends help her bear the burden.  For now it was hers alone, since she had no idea when Sehl might recover.

Reply #8
Nathan had no idea how to react to what just happened. He had done something he had never done before chosen to be completely honest with another person, and she had not only accepted it.  As the silence fell in between them there was a slightly awkward moment of consideration he had no idea what to say about what was going on between them, just that this wasn't normally how things went.

after a mild scare, that made him double check his own flight paths averting  and taking back manual control so that he could stick closer to her plane, falling in line with her ship. So that he could at least get a slightly better look over Angel's bird and fall in on her three in a flight formation, he just kind of sat there dumbfounded in an uncomfortable moment.

Until she spoke up and the oddest thing came out of her mouth. Despite him telling his story, and cautioning her that he had been accused of killing the last woman that he slept with, she was offering him what was honestly sounding like a date, and not the usual kind he had where they would hang out at a bar for an hour and then go back to a room and fuck, no this was something all together different that he absolutely had not encountered before.

He mulled over it for moment a loud 'hmm' coming in over the radio as he looked at his controls. She had just asked if it was a distraction, and the kind of activities she was talking about weren't really typical of the i'd like to fuck dates he had ever been on.

Finally he just had to clear the air. "Are you... asking me out on a date?" He said lightly, he didn't even know what this woman looked like. He had always so vein with his choices in the past. Part of him had wanted to go to the captain see if she would... take him back, but as it was he doubted she would.

"You know what, Yes I will go on a date with you. Wind surfing sounds good, I haven't done that... ever, actually I don't think I've ever been on a date before in my life." He said softly that wasn't the usual way he rolled, but Wenn had told him that he needed to focus less on work, and expand into his free time at the time he had completely ignored the man because he had this whole mystery to figure out, but now?

Why not go for a date. "I kind of had a late start to my day because of this whole transfer business, so I'm probably gonna be up for the majority of the night, were you thinking of launching this program after this patrol or did you have a more scheduled time you wanted to do a meet up? Assuming you won't be sick of my sweet voice by the end of this fly about."

Reply #9
A date?  That wasn't exactly her intention, but it seemed like he had taken the idea and run with it. What would Dev think?   They hadn't officially named their encounter anything. It was just a really good night. Was that all she had wanted? What about what Dev wanted?  Suddenly Alessia found herself in confusing waters.  And usually she went to the holodeck for an adrenaline filled exercise session to clear her head. She was overdue anyway and she'd already extended the invitation. Plus she really was trying to make more friends.

"Yea, after we get back. I expect there will be a holodeck available and i have a couple nice options for windsurfing. Since it's your first time, we can start of easy.  We should probably eat too, but we can do that after."  She was honestly excited about this chance to spend some time with another pilot outside of work.  It would give her a chance to sort through her head and make sense of everything.

The halfway mark came and went on Alessia's screen.  This patrol was quicker than her morning run.  She guessed all the midday commotion probably had something to do with it. One pass for an all clear was what they had been asked to do. Two passes if it was deemed necessary. Three if there was an abnormality or a problem.  But so far the evening, just like the morning, was calm and beautiful.

"Hey Icarus... what do you see when you look out at the universe?  I see color and light tracing their way through the darkness, giving just a touch of beauty to an endlessly changing canvas.  Every time I'm up here it takes my breath away, you know?  Like I've been blind my whole life until i saw this beautiful black sky.  Being out here.. It's humbling but i wouldn't trade the view for anything. "  Alessia let her thoughts drift. She couldn't keep them focused on dates or what ifs or future conversations if she wanted to get her patrol done.   So instead, she let the words tumble out as her thoughts formed.

Reply #10
He would have to replicate some swimwear, he had never needed anything like that before. If he was going to the holodeck to run a beach program or something it was usually to skinny dip. This was an odd stretching out for him. Not unpleasant but new and he wasn't exactly sure how that would pan out in the long run for him.

It wasn't that he didn't like new things, just that they didn't occure to him all that often. He was military, and the son of a Vulcan, he could be the first to admit that imagination tended to fall by the wayside for the logical. Of ocurse now he knew he wasn't so logical, that he wasn't even Vulcan he was Romulan. Isley had been left awash in new feelings and maybe something entirely new to him while strange and alien would be healthy in the long run.

The half way marker beeped, and Nathan realized he had fallen into silence when he heard Angel speak again. Icarus looked out his window and the vast universe around them, the swirling blue and streaks of violet pink, the shades of that colessed into purple and the very beautiful yet deadly painting all around them.

"I see the opposite. Where you see light breaking out of the darkness, I see small pin pricks of resistance against the endless expance  of nothing. I see time on a scale we can't comprehend as the universe marches towards the time when time is meaningless and the last star has burnt out. I see the strange, the wonderious, the grain of sand across an endless expanse of light that we will never reach, and I see space for what it is, death and disease wrapped in cold and dark, and in that, knowing that even the brightest star burns out to the great predator of time I feel relaxed. Because while all will fade to that darkness it is a reminder that the time we have is precious to us. That it is ours to do with as we please and that though even death will eventually die we are all of us set free by the way we choose to spend that time, that in this etherial and beautiful moment I get to do something meaningful, by spending the last great currency of this universe with you, and the rest of the people in the wolves making a difference where we can."

"Also I see that it's time to head back to the hanger, and ditch these flight suits, I will see you in the change room."

Reply #11
He was pragmatic. A realist. Possibly also a pessimist. She wasn't.  But his answer did give amnesia things to ponder.  Death would come tp everything and everyone, that much was a given. The question remained:  how did she want to spend the years she still had?  What did she want?   Did she know?

Alessia dwelt on those thoughts as the FAB came back into view.  Icarus was right. It was time to go home. She made sure the scans were transmitted to the Theurgy and switched com Channels.

"Theurgy actual this is patrol 1.  Transmissions sent.  Skies are clear. Request permission to land. Over. "

[Patrol 1, transmissions received.  FAB is clear for your arrival. Engaging tractor beams. ]

Alessia felt the tug of the gravitational beam as it locked onto her ship and she relinquished the controls. The automatic docking would take care of the rest.  She switched back to Icarus."Thanks for the company.  We'll change and hit the holodeck. And might i suggest a wetsuit just in case.  Water can be remarkably painful."

Once her valravn was on deck, Alessia taxed it to her spot, removed her helmet and opened the hatch.  The air rushed in, filling her ears until the pressures equalized and both ears popped.   Alessia shook her head and pulled on her earlobes.  That was the only thing she disliked about flying her valravn.  She climbed down and attached her helmet to the ladder, giving her bird a once over before heading to the locker rooms.  Everything seemed in order, and by tomorrow she hoped Sehl would be able to return to his duties.

Alessia's locker was in the second row. She wasted no time stripping out of her flight suit and protective under layer. Now naked, she carefully stored her gear with a reminder to do a full check tomorrow.  She then removed her clothes and set them on the bench behind her.   On flight days, Alessia wore casual clothes. Today her attire consisted of simple black cotton bikini cut panties, black cargo pants, a grey sports bra under a white tank top, and her grey valravn project hoodie.  Low cut socks and sneakers finished off her look.  She pulled the hair tie from her head and ran fingers through her locks until it felt flowy. A deep breath in and out, and Alessia smiled.  Now she felt like she was off duty.

She glanced over at Icarus.  He looked different from what she'd pictured during the flight.  Different but not in a bad way.   Her eyes wandered his frame, and she grinned when he caught her eye.  "Im ready if you are. I think we'll start in Sardinia, Italy on Earth and go from there."

Simple Audio Video Embedder