Skip to main content
News
  • 2020-11-04: An extensive Newsletter has been sent out, so check your inboxes, Theurgists! The Aldea Prime Anthology is coming to an end.
  • 2020-10-03: Season 02 is underway, and Chapter 06: Battle of the Houses has been posted in Episode 01: Advent of War. Protect the Chancellor!
  • 2020-10-03: In order to keep track of the space-time continuum in Advent of War, here is a handy calendar! Use it to set up when your Supplmental threads take place.
  • 2020-09-29: Chapter 02: Quantum Frontier comes to an end with a loud bang! Key reading for those who are keen on delving into the Theurgy lore.
  • 2020-06-22: Recruitment has opened up, but because of an incident (click me), it's only for Available Characters for new Applicants atm, or positions on the Wanted Positions page for eligible Theurgists.
  • 2019-10-04: Did you know that you can write your characters in the past, on the Director's Cut board, and even in a parallel universe, on the What if board?.
  • 2018-12-17: Did you know that you can change the ship displayed on the site in your Look and Layout settings? Pick your favourite ship or warp fighter! You can also add writing requests to your Forum Profile.
  • 2018-12-17: If you check your character page, and click on the Academy Class link at the bottom of the page, you can see who your character went to the Academy with. Perfect for Director's Cut board shenanigans!
  • 2018-01-24: Unless you've already made a request, would you like character artwork? Then make your request here!

Topic: USS Mercia: The Last Days (Read 70 times) previous topic - next topic

USS Mercia: The Last Days
[ Ensign Rhys Williams | Meeting Room and Corridors | Deck 10 | USS Mercia ]

"Ensign Rhys Williams." It took a moment for young Welshman in the immaculate uniform to realise he was being spoken to.  His Ensign insignia was brand new and he was used to being called 'cadet'. He headed toward the Vulcan officer who was scanning down a PADD of names. "Aye Sir." Rhys pulled an attention so stiff his back could have been used to hoist flags. The Gold suited Vulcan officer simply raised an eyebrow. "It is agreeable to see you again Ensign."

Rhys gulped and went a little red at having been recognised. "Thank you Commander Siak." If anything, the Vulcan's eyebrow arched further. He then pointed to line of other personnel. "Please wait there while I check everyone is here." Rhys nodded and stood in the line while looking at his shoes.

It took some time to go through the new additions to the USS Mercia's crew. When Siak had angrily... or as angrily as a Vulcan could, remonstrated with some late commers, they were led off like a group of school children through the corridors of the aging Constellation class vessel. It felt good and strangely nerve racking to be back aboard at the same time.

His cadet cruise had been taken aboard the vessel and now he was back. Other cadets and some of his instructors had reacted with surprise when he had asked to be stationed back aboard the vessel. What many of them failed to understand was Rhys was not a go getter kind of officer. He wasn't out to be serving on the most famous and powerful ships in the fleet. That kind of responsibility made him feel sick. As did the possibility of having to integrate with a whole new crew. He knew some of the people on Mercia and the senior staff had especially recognised him for the awkward and psychologically frail person he was.

As Siak continued to give new crew members the run down on the Mercia, what its mission was going to be and led them to their quarters, Rhys tuned out a little. The senior staff confused him a little. The Captain was a very highly decorated officer. Certainly, Captain Watson was far too important to be in charge of this ancient ship. The Mercia at this point in its life it made supply runs to various far flung science stations. On his Cadet run, he had heard rumours among NCOs and other crews that she had pissed off someone important at Starfleet Academy. One the way through the ship he had seen so many crews trying to fix one thing or another the place was a mess. Based on that he thought they might be right.

Eventually Rhys was led to his quarters and just before he entered them, Siak touched his shoulder. "Ensign, some of the junior officers are planning a 'Welcome to the Mercia' party." There was the slightest hint of disapproval in the Vulcan's voice. "I know you are not the most.... Gregarious individual, you don't have to come if you don't wish." Rhys thought about this for a moment and then shook his head. "No, I'll probably pop along." Siak looked a little surprised but nodded and led the other newbies off down the corridor.

As Rhys stepped into his quarters he thought about his decision. He was determined for this to be a new start for him. At the Academy he had often been friendless and alone. Most free time had been, the feeling that he was bad luck in some way was always present. However, he knew that was irrational. He wanted to have friends to be liked. This was good way to do it and what could possibly go wrong. The Universe however, always has interesting ways of punishing such optimism.
  • Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:19:38 PM by Juzzie

Re: USS Mercia: The Last Days
Reply #1
[ Ensign Rhys Williams | Meeting Room and Corridors | Deck 10 | USS Mercia ]

The Lounge on Deck 12 was full, heaving filled with a mix of new and old faces. Already people had seemed to sort themselves into groups. The high-flying ambitious types were gathered together in small groups talking energetically about work, while sipping syntheholic beverages. Then there were the people who Rhys just knew were going to be trouble on this voyage. They were gathered in moronic groups and were the only ones drinking real alcohol. Then there were the Rhys' of the Universe. Awkwardly alone at the edges of the room or attached to one of the other groups sitting speaking very little and nodding along no matter what was being said.

At a certain point Commander Siak banged the flat of his hand loudly on the table in front of him. Silence gradually descended and the Vulcan nodded. "The Captain..." Moving in front of the assembled crew, was a woman in Command Red. She was very tall pushing six feet easily, dark skinned and there was an aura of authority that exuded from her. She appeared to be in her early 40's and spoke with a slight accent, suggesting to Rhys she was from South Africa.

The speech contained the usual pleasantries that could be expected at this kind of thing. However, a few things really stood out to him. "I do hope that this crew will become like a family for all of you. After all, I have come to learn that family are really the only ones you can trust."[/color] Rhys noticed a few confused glances, but the comment seemed to fly over most of the crew's heads. Rhys noticed a degree of tension in Siak's body as the Captain had uttered those words. Watson herself had an especially grim look on her face. "To our vitally important mission, transporting cargo."[/color] She said the sarcasm dripped from every word so even those who were not good at reading people picked up on that. "Now everyone enjoy the party, but please show up in a condition for duty tomorrow."[/color] She said with a faint smile. She downed her glass and made to leave. Commander Siak shadowing her closely.

Curious, Rhys edged towards the side of the bar not far from the exit. Siak and the Captain passed by him, and out of the corner of his eye Rhys saw Siak reach out hand to grab the Captain by the arm. It was shocking to Rhys that someone would do that to their superior officer. "It was unwise to say that." Hissed Siak, trying his best to keep his voice down. The Captain looked around for a moment, and Rhys did his best to play the role of a man waiting to be served his drink. "I just want everyone on their toes."
[/color]
Siak raised his eyebrow. "What are we keeping them on their toes for exactly? You know it is unwise to tell them."

There was a pause and a heavy sigh. "I just hate that they are blind in this."[/color] The voices started to get quieter as the two of them moved towards the door. Rhys tapped the top of the bar thoughtfully. "Heard what you want to?" A voice hissed in his ear. Shocked Rhys whirled around. He almost knocked a drink out of the hand of the gold suited security officer in front of him. The Officer was Bajoran man who towered over Rhys and Rhys was tall. "I wasn't listening to anything." Said Rhys his heart beating quickly. "Good... enjoy the party." Replied the officer with an expression that could bore through Uridium. "Sir." Squeaked Rhys.

Rhys made his way as quickly as he could away from the bar and security officer. The tables had mostly started to empty as a soft slow song started to play. Various members of the crew had paired up and started to dance. Rhys sat and quietly watched the writhing mass of bodies. People, laughing, people talking, people singing, even some people kissing. So many people, and in just over a month most of them would be dead.
  • Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:33:12 PM by Juzzie

Reply #2
[ Ensign Rhys Williams |  Corridors | Deck 20 | USS Mercia ]

2 Weeks later...

Most people would have found life aboard the Mercia unbearably monotonous. There were no border skirmishes with Romulans, no battles of wits with enemy commanders. There was no interesting scientific phenomenon for the science freaks to lose their minds over. No new intelligent life to find. No intelligent plants... not even a stupid plant. Just one transport journey after another. Supplies being dropped off at space stations in unimportant sectors of Federation space. This caused all sorts of issues especially for many of the crew and junior officers. Boredom and seeming aimlessness bred discipline problems. Security always seemed to have their work cut out of them and especially Arva Molz the Bajoran Chief of Security who had caught Rhys eavesdropping a few weeks ago.

The man seemed to be everywhere, and made Rhys feel very uneasy. He always felt like he and the other newer members of the crew were being watched constantly. It made little sense to Rhys, the new members of the crew were on the whole much better behaved the newness had not rubbed off the ship for them yet, and the boredom had yet to set in.

Certainly Rhys was not bored. He had the kind of mind that could easily cope with repetitive tasks. It was an escape of sorts, almost a kind of a meditation. A chance to shut out the destructive voices that were always threatening to take over. There was always so much to do, the ship always seemed like it was about to fall about. Engineering and operations staff were always busy. He was amazed the ship had been allowed to leave space dock in this condition, it was a death trap. He knew that Constellation class vessels were an old design that Starfleet were on the verge of discontinuing, and that the Mercia was an especially old example, but this was ridiculous. However, he was an Ensign and a fresh and shy new one with a myriad of problems with self-confidence there was no way he was going to raise any concerns.

It wasn't just the ship that was faulty, the senior staff especially felt odd to him. He had not really noticed it on his cadet cruise, but now they all seemed so jumpy and tense. Even the Captain who he had remembered as being pretty laid back, was snapping at members of the crew then apologising afterwards.

Still Rhys was not going to let that get that ruin his first few weeks aboard. Rhys was happily whistling to himself as he walked along a corridor on deck twenty, his engineering kit in hand. His shift was over, and he was returning to his quarters, when he heard a thud come from a nearby Jeffries tube. "Hello?" He removed the opening and looked up the ladder in front of him. "Does someone need help in there?" He slowly climbed the ladder up to the next level. The lights in the tube flickered on and off. He his mouth went dry and he felt his heart beating faster. It was silent now apart from a sparking noise coming from up ahead. He crawled forward cautiously. A few meters up ahead he saw the issue, a conduit seemed to have blown. "What... but I replaced that last week." He muttered a few curses under his breath and opened his kit. It was damaged quite badly the whole unit would need replacing. "Williams to Engineering. I've got a blown power conduit at my location."

Before he could get a response there was another loud noise this time from behind him. He turned quickly. Standing on the ladder aiming a phaser at him was Chief of Security Arva Molz. "Well we are in trouble young man." Rhys' brow furrowed in confusion. "Sir... what are you..."

"Don't sir me! Not when I've caught you sabotaging the ship."

Horrified Rhys was covered in a cold sweat as a lead weight descended on his stomach. "But I..."

"Are you going to come with me, or will I have to stun you?" Rhys' raised his hands as best as he could in the confined space.
  • Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:03:36 PM by Juzzie

Reply #3
[ Ensign Rhys Williams | Corridors | Deck 20 | USS Mercia]

Rhys was sweating, he could feel the coldness streaming over his body which suddenly felt feverish. Chief of Security Arva Molz had not come alone. Once Rhys was out of the Jeffries tube, he found himself confronted with a human woman and an Andorian. Both of them where armed with phasers. Rhys had never really had a phaser pointed at him in his life beyond training scenarios at the academy.  It was disconcerting to say the least, that a few adjustments to the phaser and he would be very very dead. "Walk slowly ahead of me, we are going to the brig for a little chat." Rhys was about to speak in protest by the slight movement of the woman behind Molz persuaded him this would not be a great career move.

So, Rhys turned and walked a few steps ahead keeping his hands visible to the security officers at all times.

[ Ensign Rhys Williams | The Brig | USS Mercia]

It did not take long for Rhys and his unwanted entourage to arrive at the brig. "Nice and slowly Ensign." Molz's meaning was clear though he still used his phaser to indicate which cell was to be Rhys'. The movement of that phaser made the young man wince. Rhys nodded and step inside.

A moment later, there was a buzz and the momentary shimmer of a forcefield appearing across the opening. Rhys awkwardly took a seat on the bench and looked out at his captors. Molz had a smirk on his face, that made Rhys shuffle uncomfortably in place. Molz spoke without looking at the woman behind him. "Jenna, call the Captain."

"I've not done anything wrong." Said Rhys with rather more defiance than he felt.

"Oh we will see about that, but ultimately that is for the Captain to decide."

Jenna returned. "The Captain will be along soon."

"Good the two of you can leave for now, I can keep an eye on this one."
The other two security officers nodded and left.