Skip to main content
News
  • 2020-02-27: Please check the Story Workshop and read the outline for Season 2. Leave your feedback in the thread as well. The response on Discord has been really positive!
  • 2019-10-04: Until we have better ways for In-Character recruitment to our hidden ship, recruitment is now closed aside for Applicants who are willing to inherit Available Characters.
  • 2019-10-04: Did you know that you can write your characters in the past, on the Director's Cut board, and even in a parallel universe, on the What if board?.
  • 2018-12-17: Did you know that you can change the ship displayed on the site in your Look and Layout settings? Pick your favourite ship or warp fighter! You can also add writing requests to your Forum Profile.
  • 2018-12-17: If you check your character page, and click on the Academy Class link at the bottom of the page, you can see who your character went to the Academy with. Perfect for Director's Cut board shenanigans!
  • 2018-01-24: Unless you've already made a request, would you like character artwork? Then make your request here!

Topic: Day 15 [0930 hrs.] Trials and Trillations (Read 69 times) previous topic - next topic

• Revan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Day 15 [0930 hrs.] Trials and Trillations
Lieutenant Zaryn Kolari/Arn | Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Nolan
[Show/Hide]

Go to sickbay, they said. It's just a standard checkup, they said. Oh how wrong they were on that front. He'd been on this ship for 6 days now and this new assignment absoultely sucked so far. First it had started with him in jail, that was fun. Then he was chased half way around Aldea's streets by a somewhat psychotic yet horny security officer and now he had a damn worm in his gut.

A worm that apparently wanted to be inside him about as much as he wanted it to be, which was to say not at all. Oh he'd done the research into the joining when he was a kid, despite the fact he'd had absolutely zero intention of being joined but if you were chosen for selection, you were chosen for selection. That combined with the indoctrination about how joining was a true honour and vital to the Trill life and blah blah blah   he knew all about it. So he'd known that some joinings didn't work and that a symbiont could reject a host or the other way around, he didn't know he wasn't a doctor but he knew it was a thing that could happen. He of course had never expected to deal with it since he's responce to being joined would have always been "Uh no way in hell thank you very much."

The thing about having opinions like is that it usually ends with life deciding to kick you in the balls and giving you that very thing you don't want, which is what led him to his current situation. Of course the only symbiont in stasis would start dying at the exact time he was in Sickbay and of course he just so happened to be the only Trill avaliable to undergo the procedure and of course it would end up nearly killing him in the process, because again life likes to kick people in the balls.

Six days. That's how long he'd been stuck in here now. Granted the first three of them he'd mostly been unconcious walking that fine line between life and death, which to be honest he was kinda glad he'd missed but still. The following three days hadn't exactly been sunshine and rainbows as the Humans would say. He'd been told they'd mostly managed to calm the worm down or whatever the hell it was they did to avoid rejection, to be honest he hadn't entirely been listening.

In his defence however that was due to him being flooded with several hundred years worth of memories flooding his mind that he 100% knew weren't his and yet sure as hell felt like they were, that was one hell of a mind fuck. One that was still going on now to the point he wasn't entirely sure it wouldn't end up driving him mad. This is why potential hosts went through the training they did, so they could handle this stuff. It was also why he was entirely the wrong choice for it but here he was. Or was it here they were? The worm was a seperate entity in it's own right with it's own lifesigns, biology, brainwaves and yet being a symbiont the two became one so what was it? He didn't know and in the end it probably didn't matter, he was what he was.

Today, like the last few days he'd mostly been silent, lost in his own head, only really talking to the medical staff whenever they asked how he was doing whenever they came by to poke, prod and scan him to make sure the worm wasn't going to randomly decide to try and kill him again. Which was always fun.

Somewhere in the outskirts of his mind he heard someone say something that snapped him out of his current train of thought. "Huh?" he said, snapping his head to the right, seeing the rather beautiful blonde haired Doctor standing beside his bed. He vaguely remembered seeing her walking around sickbay every now and then although if he'd spoken to her before or not he couldn't quite remember the last few days being what they were. What was her name again? Uh Rad? Rev? Red? No it wouldn't be red you idiot. It was something like that though...Rez! That was it. Sounds like a joined name, if so at least he wondered if she was one of the ones who helped convince the worm to not kill him? Focus and say something fool! he thought in quick succession.

"Sorry Doc, I was lost in my own world for a while there, did you say something?"
Alessia Garcia - "Angel"
 [Show/Hide]
Zaryn Kolari
[Show/Hide]

Re: Day 15 - [0930 Hours] Trials and Trillations
Reply #1
[ Lieutenant Amelya Rez | Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Revan

After completing her rounds, Rez had been asked to consult a certain patient called Zaryn Arn. Having read up on the patient's chart, she had been surprised to read that Zaryn had been linked up with a symbiont after the stasis fields around the former Arn's host had started to show vital distress signs. She had heard about the case, yet hadn't been available to perform the surgery. The fact that Zaryn had been in Sickbay this long would have to show that things hadn't been transitioned swimmingly or perhaps that the joiningh ad brought in more complications than expected.

Stepping into the room in her teal skirted uniform, she read the last few entries in the PADD before announcing her presence "Lieutneant Zaryn Arn?" she asked, using the symbiont's name deliberately to see if it would cause any reaction from the joining. She herself had been joined only recently with the Rez symbiont. A joining that had been proving full of risk considering the faulty joining of the Rez symbiont with Edena Lal.

In her case however, there didn't seem to be a mismatched joining where one host would usurp control over the body of the host. On the other hand, the joining had not been perfect either as most memories and key details of certain hosts had still been locked away it seemed. Amelya had considered doing the Trill ritual that had been co noted with Trill joining. Time however had not been at her side to execute the ritual and thus she simply continued with her work as good as she could.

The reaction of Zaryn had been somewhat curious as he simply snapped his head towards her direction. Not exactly agreeing or identifying himself as Zaryn Arn. She kept looking at him with a curious look on her features before the man seemed to just stare at her while sunken in thoughts. She was about to rephrase her opening line once more before Zaryn opened his mouth and apologized for not replying properly. When asked if she had said something she nodded "Just asked for your identity lieutenant." she clarified, curious to see what he'd reply.

Upon hearing his reply she nodded "How are you feeling? Any discomfort after the joining?" she asked as she stepped closer and placed her hand against his wrist to feel his pulse manually. It was technically an obsolete way of examining, though the cool skin of the Trill was a welcome change from the generally warmer skin of Terrans.
Thomas Ravon: [Show/Hide]
Kythalie Benmual: [Show/Hide]
Amelya Rez: [Show/Hide]
Jonathan Byrne: [Show/Hide]

• Revan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Lieutenant Zaryn Kolari/Arn | Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Nolan
[Show/Hide]

Looking up at the Doctor from his bed he forced himself to focus on her and what she was saying and nodded "Zaryn Kola..." he started saying before cutting himself off and frowning "....well I guess it's Arn now isn't it?" he somewhat stated and asked in once sentence. "That gonna take some getting used to." he added, more to himself than anything before giving her a smile. "So uh yet Lieutenant Zaryn Arn, that's me. Nice to meet you Doctor..." the Trill replied, leaving the opening for her to introduce herself properly.

Upon her own reply she asked him how he was feeling and if there was any discomfort post joining causing him to smile a mischevious grin at her "Well I suppose that's a matter of perspective Doc, I mean the first three days it sounded like I was on death's door from what I was told, so compared to that I guess I'm doing pretty good in comparison." he told her. Of course he also knew that she'd want more than that causing him to shrug "I get the odd bout of nausea every now and then but other than that not much and that's slowly gotten better over the last day or so." the spy added then smiled "Then again I'm not a Doctor, so shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

Pausing a moment, he chuckled and shook his head "If you're asking how I'm feeling mentally then that...that is a different matter entirely." he muttered, although he didn't expand on it any further. The woman was a physician after all, not a psychologist and even if she was Zaryn wasn't entirely sure if he'd ever stop if got going on what was going through his mind and the poor Doctor would probably not want to deal with that for the next few hours.
Alessia Garcia - "Angel"
 [Show/Hide]
Zaryn Kolari
[Show/Hide]

Reply #3
[ Lieutenant Amelya Rez | Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Revan

It was rather amusing to see that the man on his biobed choose his old name before correcting himself to his new name. She had to smile as he mentioned that he'd have to get used to it. A slight nod was given at his new response and as he fished for her name she answered with a smirk "Rez. Lieutenant Amelya Rez, formerly Duv." she entered a few things in the PADD before placing the device aside and leaning forward to check his pupils and wound dressing.

Physically Zaryn complained of slight nausea that seemed to be passing by and Amelya felt around his abdominal region before seeming to be content with the result "You're indeed in good health, considering the circumstances." she answered him with a wink before taking her PADD back in her hands and inserting some new data "The first few days always seem crucial, I've been joined recently myself and turns out I had been in coma for quite a while." she shared with the Trill in front of her.

As he spoke of the mental aspect, she looked more concerned, yet her facial features softened as she gave a nod "I can understand I think, although... Most of my memories from my previous hosts are still locked or hidden away from me. Perhaps because the correct rituals hadn't been followed or perhaps because the joining with the former host had been faulty. Regardless, from what I've managed to look up in the databases, you should have been overwhelmed with prior memories and feelings that feel alien as they aren't truly yours, yet are yours now in a way." she spoke up before smiling and shaking a head "Which in some cases, when one is not Trill would be considered to be a psychiatric disorder."

The Trill finished up on her notes before looking back to Zaryn "I think lieutenant Arn, that you're ready for discharge." she broke the news to him as she gauged for his reaction "Would there be anything else lieutenant?" she asked further after having heard his reaction.

• Revan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
[Show/Hide]

Smiling Zaryn gave the blonde a nod "Nice to meet you Doctor Rez." he replied as she tapped a few things onto her PADD before leaning forward to check his pupils and wound dressing. Pretty standard Doctor stuff he thought.

When she told him that he was in good health considering the circumstances he couldn't help but chuckle "Well that's good to hear. I risk my life often enough don't get me wrong but going out laying on a biobed is not how I want to go out, that's too boring." he replied with a grin. Still when she said that she too was recently joined he felt a little better that he wasn't the only one.

The look of concern that crossed her face before they softened slightly almost had him going to reassure her that he would be fine, even if he wasn't entirely sure if that would be the case. However that quickly went away when she started talking about her own experience or somewhat lack of. He'd never heard of host and symbiont memories not being shared before, not that he'd admittedly done much research into it but given how big of a deal joining was for the Trill it certainly seemed like something unusual.

"Well It's nice to know I'm not the only newly joined Trill on this ship, although given the starship crash sized mess in my head right now you might be better off having those memories locked for now, the "traditional" way isn't really fun." he told her and nodded when she mentioned being overwhelemd with memories and feelings that aren't yours but are. "Oh yeah that's something alright. I can distinctly remember attending an opera on Telos IV and enjoying myself quite well. Only thing is I wasn't even born then. Having memories of lives I know I didn't live and yet remember them as if I did, while at the same time vividly remembering my actual life is very...disconcerting. I get now why potential hosts go through years of training before being joined."

Shaking his head as he realised he'd gone off on a little bit of a tangent, he smiled somewhat shyly "Sorry it's a lot to process." he said before she informed him that he was read for discharge. Finally! he thought and glanced down at his gut where his new worm resided [color]crimson]"Ah so you've finally decided to stop trying to kill me huh? Appreciate that."[/color] he said before she asked if there would be anything else.

"Is there anything I should look out for over the next few days? Symptoms of rejection or anything that just screams get your ass back to sickbay? I will admit I never really had much interest in becoming joined so beyond the stuff all Trill have to learn about joining I have no idea what it entails." he asked.  
Alessia Garcia - "Angel"
 [Show/Hide]
Zaryn Kolari
[Show/Hide]

Re: Day 15 [0930 hrs.] Trials and Trillations
Reply #5

As the man before her mentioned that going out on a biobed was far too boring, she had to chuckle "I don't know really... Most people end up on biobeds before they die... Unless..." she paused for a second to collect her thoughts it seemed as if something had come to mind.

She had to smile when he mentioned what a clutter it had caused in his head. The particular memory that had come too mind for him had been most interesting to hear. She nodded as she had a couple of memories herself that she distinctly remembered, yet not had lived by, not at least in her life. Some of Kiya's memories had come to mind much easier as they were medically inclined. Conflicting thoughts about things she had learned in the Academy medically wise, things that had been rendered obsolete but felt all to natural.

His apology about it being a lot to process was waved off by the doctor "Oh, not at all. I know how it feels from time to time. Not as overwhelming as it was with you perhaps." she answered before looking him in his eyes "I mean... If you'd like we could try and dig up the specifics for the Trill ritual when one is joined? she suggested "I've not had the time or need to do so for myself, but now that we're with two, perhaps the time to do it properly is now?" she suggested.

As he asked if there was something to look out for, she shook her head "No, simply come back when you feel ill or when you think something is wrong with the symbiont. It's somewhat uncharted territory for me, just basing on what I've learned in the books." she admitted "Though once the joining is complete, there have been very few cases where anything goes wrong." she assured him with a warm and vibrant smile "Would there be anything else I could do for you lieutenant?"

• Revan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
[Show/Hide]

Sat on the biobed, he watched the Doctor as she spoke, starting to say that most people ended up on biobeds before they died and was going to say something esle before taking a pause, giving him the opportunity to smirk and interject "Perhaps that's true but in my line of work it's generally not the way it goes." he said, which was true. The life of a spy was a dangerous one that had a lot of playing chicken with death moments or as some recruiters he knew phrased it "A career of high risk enounters" which was a nicely worded way of saying every day could well be your last.

As their conversation continued, he noticed the way she smiled when he mentioned the memory he remembered and smiled back, he supposed on some level it was somewhat funny. The thing that seemed to bring him comfort though wasn't the smile, but her nod of understanding, it gave him some comfort to know he wasn't the only person who'd had to deal with...or he supposed more accurately to some extent was also dealing with this new life change as well.

Zaryn gave her a smile and a nod of thanks at her understanding but was admittedly a little suprised when she asked if he would like to dig up the specifics for the Trill ritual when one is joined but found himself nodding. "I'd like that, like you said now that we're with two we should do things properly. Although I do wonder why we don't already have that knowledge considering it's clearly not the first time the Symbiont has been through it." he said, although it was more a worded through than an actual question. "Well in my case at least since I apparently got all my memories at once..." he added before pausing and snorting a chuckle as he looked at her "I just said my memories didn't I? I mean they are my memories now I guess, but they aren't yet they are...." he said before cutting himself off and shaking his head, as if to banish that train of though. "Careful Zaryn that's a circle of thought you don't want to get stuck in, will drive yourself crazy."

Shaking his head again to focus, he remembered the good doctor was still standing there look at him and grinned "If I may ask, I'm finding it disconcerting dealing with all these memories that aren't mine but are but I always knew that was part of the price of being joined. I imagine it much equally as disconcerting to know you should have more memories than you do yet not have them?" he asked, admittedly curious what it was like on the other side of the memory having fence.

When she told him to simply come back if he felt ill or when he thought something was wrong with the Symbiont he nodded "WIll do Doc, although it's good to know there's few things where anything goes wrong once joining is complete...apart from rejection that is and hey I've already been through that so there you go." he grinned back at her. When she asked him if there was anything else she could do for him, he shook his head. "Not that I can think of. Just let me know when you're free to start our little research project and I'll be there."  
Alessia Garcia - "Angel"
 [Show/Hide]
Zaryn Kolari
[Show/Hide]

Reply #7

As Zaryn mentioned that in his line of work it would not be the way that he ended up dying on a biobed. She had wondered what exactly he did as his medical records only showed him as a command/tactical officer. Perhaps he meant that being a tactical officer would greatly increase his risk of dying. A slight stir in the back of her head made her wonder if he was an intelligence officer, like Donna was. Her experience with intelligence officers had been... Interesting to say the least. Though she felt like she knew more about the covert branch of Starfleet for some reason, perhaps it was the Rez symbiont that gave her more insight or a more soothing feeling about it all.

"Well, perhaps we do have the memories, mine are blocked mostly so... Unless you know so from the Arn symbiont, we might have to do some research." she answered him "Plus, I think the symbiont will only have memories of undergoing the ritual right? Since you have all your memories." she asked him with a smile. She had to laugh as the man on the bed caught himself calling the symbiont's memories his and she nodded as he corrected himself a couple of times and tried to keep his head sane "I suppose that accepting the situation as it is will be the best course of action. otherwise, you might indeed find yourself overthinking and disassociating your core person."  she said with slight concern.

As he asked her if it was disconcerting to have a little to no memories from the symbiont, she nodded "Yes, very peculiar. It feels like I'm having blackouts on some parts of my memory. As if I remember there should be stuff there, yet I can't remember. Sometimes things look familiar and memories would come to the tip of my tongue, yet won't get filled in. At times though, memories wash over me. Which causes for slight shock at times." she sighed as she looked down at her PADD. Some of the memories she had to unlock had to deal with Jona Rez's antics at the Starbase. The message he had spread and the reason why, those memories were still locked away tightly though. On the other hand she had gotten various other memories of Edena and Kiya, a few from Illya but nothing to say that she lived their lives. "I have to admit that it feels... Annoying and troubling to not remember stuff."

"I'll see when I can make some room in my schedule. I'll let you know lieutenant." she smiled with a nod to him. She turned around and made her way to the door before she stopped and turned her head slightly over to him "If you do need someone to talk to about the memory issues, let me know as well Zaryn."

• Revan
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
[Show/Hide]

As Zaryn listened to the good doctor speak he tried to pick through the mass of new memories he had for any on the ritual and could pick out bits and pieces but nothing really concrete they could use or explain away what might be going on and shook his head "I remember the odd thing or two about going through the ritual...well a ritual at least I assume it's the same one but it's a bit of a blur at the moment. I know it's in there but it's all jumbled up with other memories I think. It feels like my brains filing system is out of order at the moment, hopefully everything will end up in the right place eventually, it's very disconcerting." he replied. Still the Trill couldn't help but nod in agreement at accepting their situation as it is and chuckled "Well Doc right now I'm not entirely sure who my core person is anymore, I used to but now I feel off, like I'm me but I'm not me so if that's disassociating or not I have no idea but I don't think I'm going to crazy and starting bouncing of the walls or anything." he added with a smirk.

As Amelya described what it felt like to have the blackouts he found himself nodded in understanding "I've had a few concussions that felt similar when it came to short memory loss so I know how you feel in that regard, although admittedly it's not exactly the same thing since I at least knew the reason I couldn't remember certain things." he said before frowning and looking up at her with a smirk "Granted that reason was traumatic brain injury but still...when they started randomly started flashing back in it was quite the shock."

Watching as she sighed and looked down at her PADD he couldnt help but feel sympathy for her, while his own mass dump of new memories had been confusing the hell out of him, deep down a part of him knew that it was at least somewhat normal, which was a comfort. Much like he knew that her lack of memories was certainly something not entirely normal for a joining although he couldn't say why he knew or if there was a solution, perhaps once his brain had processed all the new memories he'd have something. He was brought out of his own thoughts when he heard her admit that it was both annoying and troubling to not remember stuff. "I'm sure it is but there has to be a reason for it, even if we don't know what it is off the top of our heads, especially if the Rez symbiont is healthy, perhaps the ritual will help when you eventually do it, or during our eventual research we'll find out causes or at the very least other instances of this happening during a joining and can go from there."  he told her with a smile.

He gave her a nod when she told him that she would make some room in her schedule and let him know and smiled "Looking forward to it Doc." he said. As she turned and made her way to the door, he hopped off the biobed, since he had been given the all clear to leave he was more than ready to get out of sickbay and take in a different set of walls. When she stopped and turned back to look at him, he smiled "Thanks Doc I appreciate it and uh the same goes for you if you want to talk. We might be on opposite ends of the memory issue scale but you know..." he said with a smile. 

Alessia Garcia - "Angel"
 [Show/Hide]
Zaryn Kolari
[Show/Hide]