Skip to main content

• 2019-02-13: Please welcome back, IronFerrox, in the Main OOC thread! He is a returning Theurgist of old.
  • 2019-02-04: Please welcome our newest Theurgist, Lex Dalton, on the Main OOC board!
  • 2019-01-28: Exiting development in the story! The Battle of the Apertures has begun. Make sure you read up on the development on the Main OOC board!
  • 2018-12-17: Did you know that you can change the ship displayed on the site in your Look and Layout settings? Pick your favourite ship or warp fighter! You can also add writing requests to your Forum Profile.
  • 2018-12-17: Make sure you visit the non-public R&D board and give your feedback on the Interior Layout Images and the Fighter Weapon System Update.
  • 2018-12-17: If you check your character page, and click on the Academy Class link at the bottom of the page, you can see who your character went to the Academy with. Perfect for Director's Cut board shenanigans!

Topic: Stegro's Arrowverse - Heir #02 - Heir Apparent (Read 55 times) previous topic - next topic

Stegro's Arrowverse - Heir #02 - Heir Apparent
Heir Apparent 

Chapter 01 - Homecoming 

Oliver Queen is alive! The Starling City resident was found by fishermen in the North China sea five days ago, five years after he was missing and was presumed dead following the accident at sea which claimed 'The Queen's Gambit'. Queen was a regular tabloid presence and a fixture at the Starling City club scene. Shortly before his disappearance, he was acquitted of assault charges stemming from a highly publicized drunken altercation with paparazzi. Queen is the son of Starling City billionaire Robert Queen, who was also on board but now officially confirmed as deceased. Initial reports indicate an unknown female was also found though this, along with her possible identity, are unconfirmed.

So much had changed in the years he had been gone. And yet, so much had not. Staring out the hospital window gave Oliver a sense of perspective that nowhere else had given him. He recognised the city before him. It had been his home. Now, now he wasn't sure what it was. 

"Beloved?" a voice called from the door to the room. Oliver turned to look at his wife of almost a year. "Are you well?" 

"I am. It's just a lot to take in," Oliver said. He gazed at her and wondered how he had been so lucky in his life to have found her. "Have the doctor's cleared you?" 

"Of course. I am in excellent shape," she replied, stepping fully into the room, the door shutting softly behind her. "And you?" 

"They are worried about how many scars I have. Also some of my fractures that never properly healed," Oliver explained. "We knew they would ask questions." 

"And you told them what we discussed?" his wife questioned. She had full trust that Oliver had held to their story but wanted, needed to confirm in case there were any slight changes that had appeared during discussions with the doctors. 

"I've been stranded on an island for five years, alone for two of them. I don't think they completely believed me but we didn't expect them too," Oliver revealed, knowing why she asked him as she did. 

"Then we proceed as we have planned," she stated, turning to enter the ensuite of the hospital room. Oliver turned back to looking out over the city. He heard voices in the corridor, a man and a woman's. The man was one of the doctor's that had examined him, while the woman's voice was familiar. As they spoke, Oliver realised the voice belonged to his mother, which was soon confirmed by the doctor as he warned her about Oliver. They stopped speaking and Oliver heard the door to his room open once again. 

"Oliver?" his mother called out to him. Oliver turned to look at his mother, tilting his head to the side slightly as she stood before him for the first time in half a decade. 

"Mom," was all Oliver managed to get out, his voice filled with emotion. He slowly moved over to stand in front of his mother, watching as tears welled in her eyes as he approached. 

"My beautiful boy," Moira said as she broke down, hugging Oliver tightly and pressing a kiss to the side of his head. She squeezed him tighter, not wanting to release him, reassuring herself that he was real and there. Their embrace was broken by the sound of someone in the ensuite. Moira stepped back and turned as the door opened and a woman stepped out. 

The woman appeared to be about Oliver's age with long black hair and olive skin. Moira couldn't pinpoint her ancestry, nor why she was in the room with her son. 

"Mrs Queen, it is a pleasure to finally meet you," the woman said and Moira was taken aback; was she meant to know who this was? 

"Ah, and to meet you as well, nurse?" Moira queried uncertainly. The woman glanced from Moira to Oliver. She appeared to be about to say something when Oliver spoke instead. 

"I think that's my queue," Oliver announced, moving to stand next to this woman. "Mom. I'd like you to meet Nyssa. My wife." 

#Arrow##Arrow##Arrow##Arrow##Arrow# 

The trip to the Queen Mansion was a quiet one. Moira had barely spoken after Oliver's pronouncement, and then only to offer directions to first Oliver, and by extension Nyssa; as they exited the hospital and then to the driver to take them back to the Queen Mansion. She had travelled in the Bentley, obviously not expecting Oliver to have company. This had forced Oliver and Nyssa to travel separately; Oliver in the front with the driver while Nyssa sat in the back with his mother. Moira had sat and stared out the window, resolutely opposed to saying anything regarding Oliver's marriage. Oliver was beyond happy when the mansion came into view, and not just because it offered him the chance to see his sister and his home again. 

The driver pulled the Bentley around to the front of the mansion before pulling to a stop. Moira wasted no time, opening her door and climbing from the car before the driver could open her door. The driver continued to the trunk, opening it and reaching for the box that Oliver and Nyssa had brought with them. A hand on his shoulder stopped him and he turned to see Oliver standing there, reaching for his box.  

"I've got it," Oliver said. This and the look from Oliver was all it took for the driver to back away, allowing Oliver to lift the box out of the trunk. Nyssa stepped up to his side and he offered her his free hand. Looking up, Oliver saw his mother watching him, the briefest of smiles ghosting her face. Oliver and Nyssa stepped up to the front door as Moira turned and opened the double doors into the house. 

"Your room is exactly as you left it," Moira said as she led them into the house. "I never had the heart to change a thing." Nyssa released Oliver's hand as he set the box on the ground just inside the doors, giving him a moment to take in the house he hadn't seen in years. Nyssa noticed an older man approaching from a room off the foyer. 

"Oliver," he called happily. "It's damn good to see you." Oliver stepped up to the man, looking him up and down before shaking the offered hand. "It's Walter..." the man, Walter, introduced himself. He had taken Oliver's silence as not knowing who he was. "Walter Steele." 

"You remember Walter, you're father's friend from the company," Moira urged. Oliver looked at his mother before glancing back at Walter before stepping past him. He didn't see the look that Walter and Moira shared behind his back, but Nyssa did.  

"It's good to see you, Raisa," Oliver said as he stepped up to an older, raven-haired woman wearing a maid's uniform. She was smiling with abandon. 

"Welcome home, Mr Oliver," she greeted with genuine, overflowing excitement. She broke her gaze with Oliver to look past him at Moira. "Mr Merlyn phoned. He wants to join you for dinner." 

"Wonderful," Moira said merrily. Oliver didn't react as she expected him too at hearing that his best friend would be joining them. Instead he looked towards the top of the stairs "Oliver? Did you hear that?" She asked as he moved to the bottom of the stairs. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Thea descending the steps before turning and pausing to look down at her brother. 

"Hey, sis," Oliver called up in greeting. Thea stared at him for a moment before her face broke into a smile as she practically skipped down the stairs. 

"I knew it. I knew you were alive," She confided happily as she rushed to hug him. "I missed you so much." 

"You were with me the whole time," Oliver reassured his sister as he returned her hug, his hand on the back of her neck. He glanced at Nyssa who seemed to have been forgotten for the moment and noticed that she too was touched by the reunion. Their hug broke apart and Thea glanced around the foyer, noticing for the first time the woman standing just inside the doors. 

"Who are you?" she asked curiously, wondering if Ollie was hurt. 

"Thea, I have someone I'd like you to meet," Oliver said, wrapping his arm around his sister's shoulders. "This is Nyssa. My wife." 

Nyssa glided into the room she would share with Oliver. She had wanted to familiarise herself with the layout but now found herself looking at her beloved as he examined himself in a mirror, standing there with only a towel around his waist. 

"What do you see?" Nyssa asked as she stepped up behind him. 

"A stranger," Oliver proclaimed softly, almost sadly, as he looked over his torso, noting the various scars and tattoos that adorned it and remembering how they came to be marked upon him. "After 5 years, everything that was once familiar when I looked into this mirror is now unrecognisable." 

"You are my husband," Nyssa declared as she wrapped her arms around his waist. "Do you recognise that?" 

"I do," Oliver replied as he wrapped an arm around her. Thunder echoed from outside, causing Oliver to break his gaze from the mirror to look outside. "Storm's coming." 

"It is," Nyssa agreed. "You should dress. Dinner will be ready soon."  

Oliver was looking at a photograph of himself with his father when the front door opened behind him. 

"What did I tell you?" a familiar voice said from the doorway. "Yachts suck." Oliver couldn't stop the chuckle that came from him as he turned and looked upon smiling best friend. 

"Tommy Merlyn," Oliver declared as he stepped into a hug with Tommy. 

"I missed you buddy," Tommy stated. Before more could be said, Walter called the two men into the dinner room as the food was ready. They men parted and followed Walter through the house to the dining room. Tommy passed his eyes over everyone in the room before settling on an unfamiliar face. "And who is this beautiful woman?" 

"My wife," Oliver deadpanned to Tommy's shock as he stepped past him and went to sit next to his wife. "Nyssa, may I introduce Tommy Merlyn. Tommy, Nyssa." 

"Of course, I have heard so much about you," Nyssa said, smiling across the table at Tommy. Tommy recovered and stepped around the table to sit in his own seat.  

"Given how I remember us spending our time, nothing bad I'm sure," Tommy said, back to smiling. He would be having a chat with Oliver later to find out the details of his nuptials; nuptials that no one seemed to have shared with anyone. 

Dinner was filled with innocuous conversation. Oliver ate very little as he sat at the end of the table and observed everyone he remembered so differently. So much had changed while he was away. And they didn't even know how much. 

"What was it like there?" Thea asked innocently, looking at Oliver. Conversation ceased around the table as everyone looked across the table at Oliver. Oliver glanced at Nyssa before he met Thea's eyes. 

"Cold," Oliver said evening. Thea just stared at her brother and Oliver knew that his answer would not be sufficient to quell his sister's curiosity. 

"Tomorrow, you and me, we're doing the city," Tommy interjected, trying to lighten the mood. "You've got a lot to catch up on. You're welcome to join us Nyssa." 

"Thank you for the invitation, but I think I might rest for the day," Nyssa replied. "The past few days have been quite an abrupt change to what I have become used too. Oliver, you go. Enjoy time with your friend." 

"That sounds like a great idea," Moira stated happily. 

"Good," Oliver announced. "Then I was hoping to swing by the office." 

"Well, there's plenty of time for all that," Walter hedged. "Queen consolidated isn't going anywhere." 

Further speech was interrupted by Oliver catching Raisa as she tripped on the carpet. One hand caught the fruit bowl she was carrying while the prevented her from falling further then she already had. 

"Oh, I am so sorry, Mr Oliver," Raisa apologised as she recovered. Oliver responded in Russian, to everyone's surprise. 

"Dude, you speak Russian?" Tommy exclaimed. 

"I didn't realise you took Russian at college, Oliver," Walter said. 

"I didn't realise you wanted to sleep with my mother, Walter," Oliver retorted calmly, no emotion in his voice. Silence descended upon the room as glances were exchanged. 

"I, I didn't say anything," Thea claimed as her mother looked at her pointedly. 

"She didn't have to," Oliver explained. Moira swallowed and looked at Walter, nodding. 

"Oliver," Moira started, taking Walter's hand. "Walter and I are married. And I don't want you to think that either one of us did anything to disrespect our father." 

"We both believed that Robert, like you, was, uh, well, gone," Walter added uncomfortably.  

"It's fine," Oliver said after a moment. He looked at his mother before he rose from the table. "May I be excused?" Moira thought for a moment before she nodded. 

"Hey, don't forget about tomorrow, buddy," Tommy called as Oliver walked out of the room. Nyssa looked around the table and saw the looks of sadness on their faces. She could tell that they were starting to realise that the Oliver that returned to them was not the same one that had left them five years ago. 

"Please excuse me," Nyssa said as she stood and went after Oliver. She found him in their room. "Oliver?" 

"I'm sorry Nyssa," Oliver apologised softly. "I thought I would be able to cope being around them again." 

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Nyssa said as she approached her husband. She could see the struggle that he was going through but she wasn't sure what she could do to ease the pain. "I think that both you and your family will need time to adjust to each other. Five years is a long time." 

"How did I get so lucky to find you?" Oliver asked his wife with a soft smile. 

"You washed up half dead on a beach," Nyssa deadpanned. "And it was I that found you." 

"True," Oliver stated, more relaxed now then he was. 

"We should try and get some sleep. It has been a long day," Nyssa stated. "The first of what I believe will be many." 

"Couldn't sleep?" Nyssa heard Thea ask as she entered the kitchen.  

"This house, it is not what I am used too. I felt the need to explore a little of it," Nyssa said carefully, not wanting to insult her sister-in-law. "That was an hour ago." 

"Yeah, that can happen," Thea agreed. "And after three years living on a deserted island with only my brother for company. I can see why you would still be awake." 

"It was better then being alone," Nyssa declared coolly, trying to insinuate what Oliver had gone through before her arrival, as their stories went. "I don't think I would have survived if I had been alone." To her credit, Thea remained silent at this remark, considering Nyssa's words. Seeing that she had made her point, Nyssa turned to leave. "Goodnight Thea." 

"Goodnight," Thea called after her as the door shut. Nyssa made her back towards Oliver's room when she heard the sounds of one of Oliver's nightmares. He hadn't had one of those in a while until they had returned to the island; they had become more frequent then. What worried her though was the other sounds; Moira and Walter moving about. 

Rushing ahead, she heard Moira calling Oliver's name, trying to wake him. Knowing how dangerous Oliver could be if startled awake, Nyssa ran faster. She entered the room, seeing Oliver thrashing about beneath the open window, rain pelting him, just as Moira started to try and shake Oliver awake. 

"Oliver, wake up!" She called loudly over the storm as she shook his shoulder. "Oliver..." 

Any further words were cut off as Oliver startled awake and his instincts kicked in. Nyssa watched as Oliver grabbed his mother's arm and flipped her over him onto the floor, bringing his hand down to her neck, intent on crashing her larynx. 

"Oliver!" Walter and Nyssa shouted together. Oliver blinked and looked down at his terrified mother and what he was about to do. Scared, he threw himself away from his mother, backpedalling until he was hunched in a ball beneath the windowsill. Walter moved to comfort Moira as Nyssa slowly approached her husband, trying not to startle him further. 

"It's ok beloved," Nyssa murmured softly, trying to soothe Oliver even as she rubbed his back. 

"I'm sorry," Oliver said shamefully. "I'm so sorry." 

"No, it's ok, Oliver," Moira stated, as Walter helped her up. "It's alright sweetheart. You're home, you're safe," Moira soothed, the mother in her coming out. 

Nyssa couldn't help but think to herself as Moira continued to soothe her son. "For how long?"

Lorad [Show/Hide]
Lt. JG Donna 'Chance' Petterson [Show/Hide]
PO1 Mickayla MacGregor [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Re: Stegro's Arrowverse - Heir #02 - Heir Apparent
Reply #1
Chapter 02 - Starling City

Oliver was eventually able to fall asleep about an hour before dawn; spending the intervening time holding Nyssa as she slept. He enjoyed watching her sleep; it reminded him of the first night after the Amazo that he had been able to sleep without a nightmare waking him. It had been their wedding night. She had been so beautiful that evening.

Oliver awoke to the sound of the shower running and the feeling of a warm but empty bed. He sat up against the headboard and waited for Nyssa to finish. Soon enough the water shut off and Nyssa exited the bathroom, a towel wrapped around her body.

"Did you leave me any hot water?" Oliver asked, smiling at his wife.

"Maybe," Nyssa teased as she sat on the side of the bed next to Oliver. "6 months without a hot shower definitely makes you appreciate them."

"Imagine what 2 years would do then," Oliver countered. "But it was necessary. We couldn't be found in perfect health, it would raise too many questions. 6 months gave us the proper look of a struggling yet surviving couple. Especially as I am supposed to have been there for 5 years."

"It has also relaxed you more. You seem less like Al Sah-him and more like they would expect Oliver Queen would be," Nyssa commented. "They may even get a glimpse of the Oliver that only I have seen."

"He only exists because of you," Oliver stated matter-of-factly. "If your father had had his way, there would be nothing left but Al Sah-him. You were able to save the Oliver that was born when my father's boat sank."

"He was worth saving. He still is," Nyssa observed as her expression changed. "The plan for today?"

"I'm with Tommy for the day. I'll have him drive us past the factory so I can check on it," Oliver said. "You?"

"I thought I might familiarise myself with the city," Nyssa offered. "And check that our equipment is ready. I feel, uncomfortable without access to all of my weapons."

"Naked is more the word," Oliver grinned.

"Perhaps," Nyssa replied as she stood and dropped the towel. "You should get ready. Tommy will be here soon," She said as she sashayed back into the bathroom. Oliver groaned softly, considering if he should have a shower now as well.

Nyssa was in the foyer speaking with Walter when she heard Oliver and Tommy descending the stairs behind her.

"I think that's my cue," Walter said as he noticed the two men. "I should be going. Thomas, I expect you to take it easy with him. It is his first day back"

"Oh definitely," Tommy promised. Walter eyed him for a moment before looking at Oliver.

"And you too. Take it easy," Walter instructed. 

"I will," Oliver replied with a smile.

"Nyssa," Walter said in farewell as he picked up his briefcase.

"Walter," Nyssa responded as Walter headed out the front door.

"I'll wait for you outside," Tommy offered as he moved to follow Walter. "I'll bring him back in one piece Nyssa."

"You better. I would hate to have to hurt you," Nyssa said calmly. Tommy smiled in response before disappearing after Walter. Nyssa turned back to her husband and caught the look on his face. "What is it?"

"I just caught Thea about to sort what I think was Oxycodone," Oliver described. Nyssa's face dropped into a scowl, several different thoughts passing through her mind. "You can't kill her friend."

"I can," Nyssa deadpanned, clearly considering it. "But I won't. It wouldn't solve the problem."

"No, it wouldn't," Oliver agreed. "Tommy's waiting. I will see you later."

"Be safe," Nyssa offered.

"Love you too," Oliver replied as he kissed his wife before walking out the door.

Nyssa had been driven into the city by the same driver that had driven them from the hospital to the mansion. He had left her with a phone number to call him to pick her up before departing to run several errands. Nyssa had quickly contacted the local League safe house so as to ascertain the readiness of their equipment and was informed it was all present and awaiting delivery. Now she sat in a small coffee shop across from Queen Consolidated, quietly observing the world beyond the window. Her observations were disrupted by a commotion behind her.

"Frak! Take a hint. NOT INTERESTED!" a bespectacled blonde told a man standing over her as she sat at her table, trying to enjoy her coffee.

"C'mon, it's just dinner," the man tried to reason as the blonde rolled her eyes. "Dinner can't hurt."

"No, but what you want after it can," the blonde challenged.

"You'd enjoy it," the man countered. "I'd make sure of it."

"I sincerely doubt that," the blonde responded. Nyssa was starting to dislike this man. His manner and bearing was condescending.

"Felicity, just say yes," the man demanded, losing his patience. Nyssa was now annoyed.

"I already said no Brandon," Felicity stated as she looked up at him. "Now, would you please leave me alone?"

"Felicity, you have been dodging me now for months. It's time that..." Brandon's speech was cut off by his yelp of pain as his arm was twisted up behind his back.

"I believe Felicity. It was Felicity, wasn't it?" Nyssa asked Felicity as she grasped Brandon's wrist. Felicity could only nod in astonishment. "I believe Felicity made it quite clear that she would not be having dinner, or anything else with you. I suggest you do not pester her anymore. Do I make myself clear?" Nyssa enunciated, applying more pressure to his wrist to get her point across.

"Yes, yes. Let go for god's sake," Brandon yelped out. Nyssa released his wrist and he quickly beat a retreat, leaving the store without a word; Nyssa watching him leave.

"How, how did you do that?" Felicity stammered out. "Why would you do that?"

"Just something that my father taught me when I was younger," Nyssa said as she turned back to face Felicity. As to why. No woman should ever suffer at the hands of men."

"Wow. I need to remember that one," Felicity observed. "I'm Felicity Smoak.

"I am Nyssa," Nyssa introduced herself, catching herself before she said more.

"Good to meet you Nyssa," Felicity smiled. "Would you like to join me?"

"If I'm not intruding," Nyssa said.

"I insist," Felicity confirmed. Nyssa smiled before retrieving her drink and joining Felicity. "So what brings you here today?"

"Just exploring the city. I'm new here," Nyssa explained truthfully. "And yourself?"

"Lunch break," Felicity admitted, glancing out the window. "I work at Queen Consolidated."

"Do you like it?" Nyssa enquired honestly.

"It's alright. It's not perfect but it's a stepping stone," Felicity said cheerfully. "Have to start at the bottom before you can reach the top right." 

"You do indeed," Nyssa confirmed as her phone started to ring. "Excuse me." Felicity nodded as Nyssa stood and stepped away for some privacy. "Hello. When was this? Are they both alright? Yes, of course I'll be right there. I'm in a coffee shop outside Queen Consolidated. 5 minutes," Felicity heard Nyssa's side of the conversation.

"Everything alright?" she asked as Nyssa turned back to her.

"I'm not sure," Nyssa said as she pocketed her phone. "I have to go I'm afraid. It was nice meeting you. Hopefully we will see each other again soon."

"You know where I work if you want to find me," Felicity stated. "It was nice meeting you too."

"Goodbye Felicity," Nyssa said as she turned towards the door.

"Goodbye Nyssa. I hope everything is ok," Felicity called after Nyssa. She watched as Nyssa waited on the sidewalk before a Bentley pulled to a stop in front of her. She climbed in the back quickly before it left the curb, disappearing into the traffic. Felicity had a gut feeling that she would be seeing Nyssa again soon then either of them thought.

"Oliver!" Nyssa called as she entered the Mansion. She had passed what were obviously two detectives as they had left the grounds and was now concerned about Oliver. She had been told on the phone that he was fine but to her, fine was a relative concept.

"In here Nyssa," Oliver called from the Den. Nyssa walked in to find Oliver sitting with Tommy, Moira and Walter. "We're fine."

"What happened?" Nyssa asked.

"We were drugged, kidnapped and then apparently some weirdo in a green hood rescued us and killed all three gunmen," Tommy gushed out. Nyssa glanced at Oliver with a raised eyebrow but was only met with a blank stare. "I need a drink. I'll see you later buddy," Tommy said as he got up and left the room.

"I have some business calls to make. I will see you at dinner," Walter stated as he followed Tommy out.

"Are you sure you are alright?" Nyssa asked as she took Tommy's place beside Oliver. 

"I'm fine," Oliver confirmed with a soft smile.

"Nyssa, could I ask you to excuse us for a moment," Moira said to Nyssa. "I would like a word with my son."

"I'll be outside," Nyssa said after looking at Oliver and seeing him nod. 

"Thank you Nyssa," Moira acknowledged as she watched her leave. Once the door shut behind her, Moira redirected her attention back to her son. "Oliver, we should discuss what happened today."

"What about it?" Oliver wondered, curious what his mother was doing.

"Oliver, someone kidnapped you and Tommy today," Moira explained as if Oliver hadn't been there. "We need to determine why. Who knew where you were going to be today?"

"Just the people in this house," Oliver answered, seeing his mother raise an eyebrow at his response. "Are you suggesting Nyssa had something to do with this?"

"I'm not suggesting anything," Moira replied calmly. "But as you said, only the people in this house knew where you were going to be today."

"NO!" Oliver exploded, standing. "I trust Nyssa with my life. I've had to."

"I can understand that Oliver," Moira said, trying to placate her son. "But that was then. Now though..."

"I can't believe my own mother is suggesting this," Oliver growled angrily. "She is my wife."

"No, she isn't," Moira stated. "I had some checking down. There is no marriage certificate issued for you and Miss Raatko. You are not married."

"Perhaps not legally. We married each other on the island," Oliver argued. "But if you want it legal, we can make it legal quickly enough." 

"Oliver..."Moira started but was quickly cut off.

"Once I am legally declared alive, Nyssa and I will be taking a trip," Oliver explained clearly, anger still evident in his voice. "When we return, you can greet your, now legal, daughter-in-law."

"Oliver, there is no need to do anything rash," Moira reasoned, desperately trying to assuage her son. "We can work something out." She watched Oliver get a far off look in his eye as he stared at the wall behind her before he took a deep breath and refocused his attention on her.

"6 weeks," Oliver said calmly. "I will give you 6 weeks, mom."

"6 weeks to do what?" Moira asked, surprised at Oliver's sudden calm.

"You have 6 weeks to organise a wedding fit for a Queen," Oliver deadpanned. "After that, Nyssa and I will take care of matters ourselves. We've gotten quite good at it over the years." Not waiting for his mother's reply, Oliver walked out; Moira being too shocked to do anything but let him go. Nyssa met him outside, as she said she would.

"Are you alright?" Nyssa asked, concern evident. "I heard everything."

"I knew you would. And I will be," Oliver replied softly. His face then hardened. "We have other problems though."

"The kidnapping," Nyssa stated, falling instep beside Oliver as he headed upstairs. "I take it more happened then what will be in the police report?"

"They wanted to know about my father," Oliver revealed. "If he made it to the island. If he told me anything. I got loose before they could ask anything else."

"This changes things," Nyssa pointed it. "We are going to have to move up our plans."

"We are," Oliver agreed. "Call Namir. Have him deliver the equipment to the foundry tonight. No deaths but no witnesses either."

"Oliver," Moira called as he and Nyssa exited the mansion the next morning. Oliver had had another nightmare but thankfully it had only woken Nyssa. "I'd like to introduce you to somebody," she said as she stood next to Walter and a tall, well-built man. "This is John Diggle. He will be accompanying you from now on."

"I don't need a babysitter," Oliver said with a smile towards Moira before looking at John. "No offence."

"None taken, sir," John replied calmly, not having been offended.

"Darling, Oliver's a grown man," Walter reasoned. "If he doesn't feel the need for armed protection..."

"I understand," Moira interjected. "But this is something I need." Oliver couldn't think of an argument and so smiled at his mother before looking at the bodyguard once again.

Soon John Diggle was driving Oliver and Nyssa away from the mansion and into Starling City.

"So what should we call you?" Oliver asked cheerfully. He saw John glance at him in the mirror before focusing back on the road.

"Diggle's good," he answered. "Dig, if you want."

"You were a soldier?" Nyssa enquired.

"Yes ma'am. 105th Airborne out of Kandahar, retired. Been in the private sector a little more than 4 years now," Diggle answered before looking in the mirror again. "I don't want there to be any confusion, Mr. Queen. My ability to keep you from harm will outweigh your comfort. Do we have an agreement? Sir?" Diggle asked. He heard the rear doors to the car open and close and he glanced into the back to find it completely empty. He slammed on the breaks, not believing that the two of them would exit the vehicle while it was still moving. He jumped out and opened the rear door, finding the backseat empty. He stood tall and looked around, to no avail; Oliver and Nyssa were gone.

"Any trouble Namir?" Oliver asked as he and Nyssa walked up to the stack of crates and boxes in the center of the abandoned steel factory. The assassin dropped down from where he had been hidden in the rafters and kneeled before them.

"None Al Sah-him. All has been quiet," Namir reported.

"Good," Al Sah-him responded impassively. "If you have nothing else to tell us, you are dismissed."

"As you command, Al Sah-him," Namir accepted before he stood and left out of the rear of the factory.

"So do you think your mother will approve of our wedding?" Nyssa asked as she walked around the pile of boxes. 

"I would say it is a bit late for that," Oliver said as he stepped up to Nyssa. "We are already married after all. This would just be making it legal."

"I don't care if it's legal," Nyssa said as she draped her arms around Oliver's neck.

"Unfortunately, the rest of the world does," Oliver said before kissing Nyssa deeply. They held the kiss until they were forced to break apart for air. "We should get started. We have a lot of work to do."

"We should," Nyssa agreed as she stepped back and took her jacket off. Oliver followed suit before he pick up the first of the crates and started to move it deeper into the factory.

They spent the rest of the day moving all their equipment into the basement before unpacking and setting it up. Oliver made arrows as Nyssa set up and uploaded files to their computers. Before long they were working out, inverted crunches while hanging from the ceiling pipes or climbing up and down the salmon ladder he had built for Oliver while Nyssa preferred more grounded methods; though she indulged herself with a few trips up and down the ladder.

They then sparred against one another; first hand to hand before transitioning to metal batons and then on to practice swords. After that, came archery. Oliver was putting together his black recurve bow as Nyssa stepped up to him, already prepared.

"Ready beloved?" Nyssa asked as she watch Oliver handle his bow with almost as much love as he handled her. "Sometimes I wonder if I should be jealous of that bow."

"Never," Oliver stated confidently as he finished assembling his bow. He strapped on his quiver and stalked over to where Nyssa had moved too; ready for their little game. "How many?"

"Only 9," Nyssa said as she turned to face the empty space.

"Ready?" Oliver asked. Nyssa nodded calmly so Oliver knocked over the container of tennis balls, sending 9 of them bouncing out in front of them. They each calmly began to draw, nock and fire arrows, steadily pinning the balls to the wall. The final ball was practically split in two as 2 arrows had pierced it.

"A draw," Nyssa observed. "I dislike draws."

"I don't mind them," Oliver said with a soft smile. "Beats losing to you all the time."

"You have yet to beat me though husband," Nyssa stated. "Even with all you prodigious natural talent."

"Perhaps one day, I will," Oliver smirked as he looked at the clock he had hung on an empty pillar. "It's getting late."

"Who will you be starting with?" Nyssa asked as they both walked back to the computers.

"Adam Hunt. A friend is working on a case and I owe it to them to make sure they do not get hurt," Oliver said as he brought up information on the screens. "He has swindled over $40 million from the cities underprivileged, and gotten away with it by bribing or killing those who stood in his way. I think it is time he returned that money. One way or another."

"This friend. She, would be Laurel Lance; Sara's sister?" Nyssa asked.

"Yes," Oliver admitted sullenly, remembering. "I owe it to the family to make sure nothing else happens to them."

"This crusade cannot be about one family, Oliver," Nyssa said calmly. "It has to be about more than them. It must be about the city as a whole."

"And it is," Oliver agreed impassively. "Adam Hunt is just a convenient place to start."

Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #2
Chapter 03 - Time's Up

"Do I want to know how many weapons you have on you?" Oliver asked as he admired Nyssa. She was wearing an off the shoulder crimson dress that finished mid-thigh, complimented with a pair of Louboutins. 

"If you're lucky I'll let you try and find them all later," Nyssa answered sweetly as they descended the stairs of the Queen Mansion the following evening. Tommy had organised a 'Welcome Home' party surprisingly quickly and now they both were on their way there. Oliver had managed to convince his friend to hold the party at the building located conveniently across the street from Adam Hunt's penthouse. "Do you think he will acquiesce to your demand?"

"I doubt it. Until I have a reputation and a precedent set, most will try to fight rather than cooperate," Oliver answered as they approached the front door, Oliver opening it to allow Nyssa through, then closing it behind himself. "I already have my gear stashed on the roof. It won't take long to convince him that he was incorrect in doubting my resolve."

"Be careful beloved, Nyssa cautioned as they approached the waiting car. "Enough ants can overwhelm the spider."

"I will," Oliver promised as he opened the rear door, only to find John Diggle already sitting there waiting for them.

"Put on your seatbelt, sir, ma'am," John said with a smile. "Wouldn't want you to miss your party." Oliver smiled as he stepped aside to allow Nyssa to enter.

"Mr Diggle, how are you this evening?" Nyssa asked, smiling in amusement.

Oliver and Nyssa descended the stairs slowly into the party, eyeing the crowd warily; neither of them liking crowds very much even if they were occasionally useful. They paused for a moment so that Oliver could check his phone but no words were exchanged as Oliver showed his wife that Hunt had yet to act. As he pocketed his phone again they saw Tommy approaching them, even as he waved at the DJ to cut the music.

"Everybody, hey!" Tommy called out, getting everyone's attention. He looked up to the stairs where Oliver and Nyssa still stood. "Man of the hour! Whoo! Now, let us please give him the welcome home he deserves."

"Go, be Oliver Queen," Nyssa whispered. Oliver glanced at her before slipping on the face of Oliver Queen, billionaire party boy and descending into the party. Queen's 'We Are The Champions' sounded out as he made his way up to the stage.

"Thank you very much, everybody!" he yelled out as he accepted a shot from Tommy, downing it without hesitation. "I missed Tequila!" he shouted as the crowd cheered and the music started back up. Oliver descended from the stage and joined up with Tommy as they looked out at the party. "Is there anyone here that I actually know?"

"Well there is him," Tommy said as he looked at Diggle standing in a corner, watching Oliver. "Does he wipe for you too?" Oliver chuckled as Tommy wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "And then there is her," Tommy said as Nyssa glided up to them. "Wow."

"I will take that as a compliment," Nyssa commented with a smile as she stopped next to Oliver, also gazing out at the crowd.

"It was meant as one," Tommy confirmed, flashing her a smile before sipping his drink. They watched the crowd for a while before Nyssa felt, more than saw, Oliver stiffen. She followed his gaze and saw what had caused his reaction; Thea buying some sort of drug.

"Back in a minute," Oliver ground out and Nyssa wordlessly followed him leaving Tommy behind. Diggle saw their movement and followed behind discreetly.

"Ollie, hey!" Thea said in greeting as Oliver gasped her arm and separated her from her friends. "This party is sick! Hey Nyssa."

"Thea," Nyssa said in greeting."

"Who let you in here?" Oliver demanded quietly.

"I believe it was someone who said 'Right this way Miss Queen'." Thea replied, her voice dripping sarcasm.

"Well, you shouldn't be here," Oliver stated.

"I'm not 12 anymore," Thea pointed out harshly as she pulled he arm free, her eyes narrowed at her brother.

"No, you're not," Oliver agreed. "You're 17."

"Ollie, I love you," Thea said derisively. "But you cannot come back and judge me, especially for being just like you."

"He knows it cannot have been easy on you Thea, while he was away," Nyssa said, trying to calm the heating exchange.

"Away?" Thea scoffed, looking at Nyssa then back to her brother. "You died, Ollie. You and dad died. I went to your funerals."

"I know," Oliver started.

"No, you don't," Thea cut him off as Oliver caught a glimpse of the pain that Thea had been holding in. "Mom had Walter, and I had no one. You guys all act like its cool; let's forget about the last 5 years. Well, I can't. For me, it's kind of permanently in there! So I'm sorry if I turned out some major disappointment, but this... me, is the best I could do with what I had to work with." Oliver could not meet his sister's fiery gaze as she turned back to her friends. "Let's bounce," she said and led the group of girls away.

"Are you alright?" Nyssa asked her beloved, her concern evident.

"I will be," Oliver replied, clearly disheartened. "Did you get it?"

"Panache of a thief," Nyssa pointed out as she held up the packet of pills. 

"Thank you," Oliver said as he took the pills and dumped them in the nearest trashcan. Nyssa didn't miss the satisfied look that Diggle shot at Oliver.

"Ollie," a woman's voice sounded out and Nyssa looked around to see Oliver standing before a well-dressed brunette.

"Oh, you're here," Oliver said, clearly surprised that this woman was here.

"Tommy," the woman exclaimed. "He pointed out that we have too many years between us to leave things as we did. And I may have been a little harsh before."

"I don't think your father would agree, Laurel," Oliver replied. Nyssa now understood who she was; Laurel Lance. 

"Is there someplace quieter we can talk?" Laurel asked. Oliver glanced at Nyssa and saw her nod her head minutely. 

"Yeah," Oliver replied, holding out his arm to guide laurel out of the club.

"Something I can help you with, sir?" Diggle's voice called out as Oliver made his way along the service passage. 10pm at come and gone and Hunt had done nothing.

"I just wanted to be alone for a moment," Oliver answered as he stopped next to his bodyguard. Oliver could appreciate this man's devotion to his job but now it was starting to become an annoyance.

"I would believe you, Mr Queen, if you weren't so full of crap," Diggle said with a light smile as he gestured at a pair of nearby doors. "Party is this way." Oliver sighed as he walked over to the door and tried to open it.

"It's locked," Oliver pointed out. Diggle looked at him for a second before stepping in front of him to open the door himself. As he stepped past his principal, Oliver's arm shot out and wrapped around Diggle's neck in a chokehold, leading to his unconsciousness seconds later.

"A bit drastic, don't you think?" Nyssa asked as she appeared out of nowhere.

"The man is extremely good at his job," Oliver pointed out appreciatively as he laid Diggle out on the floor gently. "Unfortunately, that was becoming a nuisance."

"I look forward to your explaining this," Nyssa said, smiling. "But for now, go. Others are awaiting your arrival."

"Be back soon," Oliver said as he kissed Nyssa's cheek, ignoring the look she was giving him. "I'll be careful."

"You had better," Nyssa called to Oliver's departing back. 

As soon as the doors dinged open, Oliver sprang into action. He swiftly launched two arrows, eliminating two of the 6 guards in the hall before using his bow as a quarterstaff to beat the two guards closest to the elevator into submission. He had previously cut the power to the lights and now he used the shadows to mask his movements as he lunged behind a pillar as the last two guards opened fire blindly. 

When they stopped to reload, Oliver sprang back into action. He threw his bow at one guard, disorientating him with a blow to the head while springing up onto a column and down onto the sixth guard who had been distracted by his bow toss. With practiced ease, he broke his neck before retrieving his bow and the still disorientated guard. Lining him up with the glass doors to Hunt's office, he gave him a swift kick, launching him through the glass to the accompanying sounds of more automatic gunfire.

Oliver fired an arrow at the one man he could see before stepping through the broken door. He again used his bow as a quarterstaff as he deliver 3 quick blows to the head of a man, breaking his nose, before a final blow to his throat; crushing his larynx. He turned to face Adam Hunt, even as he pulled, nocked and fired a pre-prepared arrow into the wall behind hunt.

"You missed," Adam Hunt observed snidely, even as Oliver aimed another arrow at his heart.

"Did I?" Oliver mocked. Before anything else could be said, his bow was kicked aside; the arrow impacting the desk harmlessly. Oliver could do little to prevent Adam Hunt fleeing the room, screaming into his phone, as he was focused on defending himself from the flurry of attacks launched at him by this man.

They grappled, punched, kicked and threw each other around the room before Oliver was able to gain the upper hand; which was promptly snatched away as the man drew a knife from his jacket. Oliver matched him with his own knife; a gift from Nyssa for his last birthday. 

With a blade as long as his forearm, S-shaped cross guard and an inch long pyramid spike on the hilt, it was a formidable weapon; made all the more so by the skill of the wielder. Oliver had lost count of the number of men he had killed with a knife, he only it was less than the number of men he had killed with a bow.

The man was momentarily paused by Oliver's presentation of his knife but quickly shook it off and lunged forward. Oliver parried and traced his blade up the man's arm, leaving a nasty cut in its wake. They grappled, stabbed and sliced at one another until Oliver was able to disarm him and flip him onto his back; unfortunately within reach of a previously dropped weapon. Oliver raced for the desk, diving over it as the man came up firing. Oliver felt a bullet impact his chest even as he threw a Flechette. The firing stopped but Oliver didn't notice; his landing had rendered him unconscious.

Oliver came to with the sounds of heavy footfalls approaching. He guessed it was the SWAT team that had been waiting outside with the other police that were present to prevent his intrusion; even as he had infiltrated behind them. He rubbed his chest and pulled loose the mangled bullet that was lodged in his armour.

"Lay down your weapons, or we will open fire," the cops screamed as they advanced towards him, unaware of his position. They stopped at the broken door and shined their weapon lights around the room, searching. "I repeat, lay down your weapons..."

Without hesitating, Oliver pulled two flechettes and threw them at the SWAT officers, disarming them. He launched himself around the desk, kicked his bow up into his hand as he passed it and dived through the window; all the while a path of bullets was traced behind him, ironically by Detective Lance. He hooked his bow over the cable he had secured there earlier and rode it down; time to get back to the party.

"Detective!" Oliver called as he and Nyssa slipped through the quiet crowd. A SWAT officer had silenced the music while Detective Lance was currently confronting Tommy; or was it the other way round. "This is a private party."

"Yeah?" Lance shot back. "Well, there was an incident at Adam Hunt's building tonight. You wouldn't know anything about that now, would you?" He challenged.

"Who's Adam Hunt?" Oliver asked, his boredom in their conversation evident. 

"He's a millionaire bottom feeder, and I'm kind of surprised you aren't friends," Lance explained snidely. 

"I've been out of town for a... while." Oliver said mildly. Tommy let out a soft laugh. Even Nyssa had to force herself not to smile. 

"Yeah." Lance agreed. "Well, he just got attacked by the guy with the hood. The same guy that saved your asses the other day." 

"The hood guy?" Oliver asked, surprised. 

"Yeah." Lance replied. 

"You didn't find him?" Oliver asked, then smiled cheekily. "How about I help you out? I'm going to offer a reward. Hey, everybody!" Oliver turned around and shouted to his fellow partiers. He held up two fingers. "$2 million to anybody that can find a nut bar in a green hood." 

The crowd cheered in response, and Oliver turned back to Lance. The older cop walked right up to Oliver, getting in his face.

"Did you even try to save her?" he demanded. Nyssa, saw the immediate effect that his words had on her husband, and stepped forward to support him. Hilton, Lance's partner, also saw what was happening and interceded, putting a calming hand on Lance and pushing him away lightly. 

"Ok, he said quietly, "Let's go, partner." Lance, though, wouldn't be deterred. 

"Did you even try to save my daughter?" he demanded angrily. 

"Sara wouldn't want this." Hilton said, leading Lance away. "Partner, let's go." Oliver's face was set in stone, as the cops left, but after a moment he made his way onto the stage. 

"It's way too quiet in here!" he yelled with a smile, throwing out his arms. "This is a party!" The crowd cheered as Oliver made his way off the stage. Tommy came up to him, giving him a strange look even as Nyssa stared at her beloved, clearly worried about how Oliver was coping with Detective Lance's accusations. She knew what had occurred on the island; Oliver had kept nothing from her when she finally asked what had happened on Lian Yu.

"Some coincidence," Tommy observed, "I mean, you asking to have your party here, and Hunt getting robbed right next door... and by the same guy who rescued us at the warehouse." His tone inferred he was suspicious, and Nyssa couldn't blame him; they would have to be more careful in the future. Oliver, however, just gave him a tight smile. 

"If I were you, Tommy, I'd just be glad you're alive." He advised calmly. 

Tommy stared back at his friend; for the first time since they had met, he truly felt like he didn't know the person standing in front of him. "What happened to you on that island?" he asked haltingly. 

"A lot." Oliver and Nyssa replied simultaneously before walking away. 

"The redistribution of the stolen money has been completed," Nyssa stated, turning to face her beloved. She had tried to speak to Oliver when they had returned o the mansion the previous night but he had claimed tiredness and gone straight to bed; in his defence, he had gone straight to sleep, a unique even in itself. Now though, she would not be denied. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," Oliver answered, hoping Nyssa would drop it but knowing that she wouldn't; he wouldn't have. He turned to face her, being met by her relaxed yet determined face, one eyebrow raised and all.

"You know I hate that word," Nyssa pointed out. "Now I will ask again, and then I will beat an answer out of you husband. How. Are. You?" Oliver exhaled slowly, buying himself a moment to organise his thoughts.

"I'm alright. Just memories and old feelings," Oliver explained sadly. Nyssa let him be for a moment, knowing he would explain as he always did. "I just wondering if things could have been done differently. I maybe events had gone a different path. If I have known then, what I know now..." Nyssa stilled Oliver with a hand on his chest, over his heart.

"What's past is prologue," Nyssa said simply as she looked up into his bright blue eyes. He said nothing, accepting her words as the truth before a smile graced his face. Nyssa couldn't keep the smile from appearing on her own. "What?"

"To think that I had only read one book in the four colleges I dropped out of and it was about a man trying to get home. And it helped me on the island," Oliver started, still smiling. "And now, 5 years later, I recognise that you just quoted Shakespeare's The Tempest." 

"It was an interesting read," Nyssa said in mock protest. She didn't resist as Oliver lent down and kissed her passionately.

"I have to check that they know the money went in," Oliver said after breaking the kiss. "I'll be back soon."

Oliver had approached CNRI, hoping to be able to tell if they knew if his recent transactions had been noticed, when he spotted Tommy's car parked in an alley. His curiosity getting the better of him, he approached it when he spotted Tommy and Laurel walking along the alley towards it. He stopped and perched silently on a fire escape as their voices filtered up to him.

"I thought maybe you and Oliver went mano-a-mano again." Tommy threw out, spiking Oliver's interest, "I saw you two head out." 

"There's nothing between Oliver and I," Laurel said with finality. "Not anymore." 

"Here I thought the only thing between you and Oliver was us," Tommy offered.  

"I wouldn't exactly characterize us as an 'us', Tommy." Laurel said teasingly. Tommy stopped and turned to face her. 

"Then what would you call it?" he asked. 

"A lapse." She decided after a moment of thought.

"That's quite a few lapses" Tommy said with a grin. "Your place, my place, my place again..." they both laughed. 

"Oh, come on, Merlyn." Laurel said with a smile. "We both know that you're not a one-girl type of guy." 

"Depends on the girl." He announced. Laurel couldn't help but smile back at Tommy's charm. 

"I have to go back to work." She said finally, turning to walk away. 

"Dinah Laurel Lance," Tommy called out, using Laurel's full name Oliver noticed. "Always trying to save the world." Laurel tuned around and smiled. 

"Hey." She said, "If I don't try and save it, who will?" she gave him a small wave, then turned and walked away. Tommy smiled and got in his car, and unnoticed by either of them, Oliver sat perched on a fire escape high above, watching it all. He couldn't find it in himself to fault them for getting together during the time he was gone. After all, he had been dead and even gotten married himself. Oliver hoped that his friend was more serious than he had been in the past, even as he climbed the fire escape back to the room.

A shift in the wind as he alighted the ladder onto the roof brought a fresh scent to his nose. He had company.

"You can quit skulking about," Oliver called to the silent night. "I know you are there." As if appearing from the shadows themselves, 3 men dressed in the garb of the League of Assassins stepped into the open. Their masks hid their identities however what was interesting was the coiled red viper that was sewn onto the left breast of their jackets. "What do you want?" Oliver growled.

"Our mistress tasked us to watch you," the closest of the assassins spoke. Oliver regard him as he took a step closer. "It is said that she has great plans for you."

"Watching implies not being seen," Oliver stated calmly.

"It does," the assassin agreed. "However, we believe that her plans could be accelerated if you were brought before her."

"Ambition is a dangerous feeling. It often leads to foolhardy actions," Oliver said as his mind worked. "I won't be accompanying you."

"As you wish," the man said as he turned away. He quickly turned back, pulling a knife as he did so only to be met by Oliver swinging his bow at his head; an unavoidable blow. Oliver pivoted around the swing, drew, nocked and fired an arrow into the furthest assassin's heart before blocking a sword strike from beside him.

A flurry of blows ensued, all of which Oliver blocked effortlessly. An opening presented itself and Oliver took it, burying his knife into the assassin's throat. He turned to face the last assassin, the one he had struck first, only to find the rooftop empty; the assassin had fled.

"So it begins," Oliver said quiet to the once again silent night.
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #3
Chapter 04 - Reappearance Repercussions

"Ma'am, I truly do not know," Dig answered Moira Queen honestly. He tried not to think about what Oliver Queen was up to, even as his gut told him that he was most definitely up to something. 

"And he truly doesn't," Oliver said jovially as he and Nyssa walked into the room. Moira stared at them balefully before speaking. 

"Then perhaps you would like to share where it is you both run off to," Moira said, her exasperation clearly evident to everyone present. 

"I've been stuck on an island for 5 years. Nyssa for 3," Oliver began to explain. 

"I know that Oliver," Moira pointed out. 

"Mom, we were alone," Oliver said, shooting his mother a look. "Being back, it gets, overwhelming at times. Nyssa and I, we need to get away from everyone, everything." 

"I see," Moira said after considering what her son had said. 

"We will try and curtail our disappearances," Nyssa offered. "Perhaps try and find somewhere on the grounds where we can go to get away." 

"No, that's alright. I'd rather that you promised to take Mr Diggle with you when you need to get away," Moira proposed calmly as she stepped in front of her son. "There is a maniac out there, hunting the wealthy and you have already been kidnapped once since you got back. It's not safe." 

"Oliver's life was saved by that maniac," Nyssa pointed out. 

"This isn't a game," Moira said with a glare at Nyssa. She focused back onto her son, looking him in the eyes. "I lost you once. And I refuse to go through that again," Moira stated plaintively. 

"Okay," Oliver replied after a moment. Nyssa could hear the genuine remorse in his voice; something she wasn't used to hearing. "Dig's my guy." 

"Thank you Oliver," Moira said gratefully, turning to walk out of the room before she stopped and looked back. "About our conversation after you kidnapping. How does Saturday December 1st sound?" 

"That sounds lovely," Nyssa answered after glancing at Oliver and receiving an almost imperceptible nod in return.  

"Wonderful. I'll begin making initial arrangements and appointments for us," Moira stated calmly, still not happy at Oliver's ultimatum. 

"I'm looking forward to them," Nyssa said to Moira's retreating form.  

"Sorry to give you much grief," Oliver said to his bodyguard. Dig walked around the couch, buttoning his suit as he moved and stopped in front of Oliver. 

"I served three tours in Afghanistan, Mr. Queen. You don't even come close to my definition of grief," he declared stoically. "But I will say this. Ditch me one more time, and no one will have to fire me," he stated before he turned and headed out of the room, passing Thea on his way. 

"Hey Thea, where are you going?" Oliver called out to his sister, surprising her as she hadn't seen him there. 

"Not sure. Probably somewhere loud and smoky though," She replied, crossing her arms and looking at her brother and Nyssa. "And don't worry, I'm going to go get drunk. No need to steal my stash." 

"Thea, do you think this is what dad would have wanted for you?" Oliver asked as he stepped closer to his sister. He was worried about how she was acting and was trying to get through to her. 

"You see, that's the thing. Dead people don't want anything. It's one of the perks of being dead," Thea argued. 

"I was dead," Oliver countered. "And I wanted a lot." 

"Except for your family," Thea said spitefully. "Instead you went and tried to start a new one. You went and got married. Or at least as close as you can get to married on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere. I didn't even need to overhear you and mom to know that," She pointed out coldly. "You know, you have been home a week and all you have done is avoid mom, ignore Walter and judge me," Thea said as she turned and started walking away. "Don't wait up." 

"She's right," Oliver said as Nyssa stepped up behind him, wrapping an arm around his waist. "I have done all those things. Even though I haven't meant too." 

"We knew it would be hard coming home," Nyssa reminded Oliver. "We spoke about it while we waited." 

"I know," Oliver acceded reluctantly. "I just didn't think it would be as hard as it has been." 

"Nothing worth having is easy to obtain," Nyssa pointed out. "I'm proof of that." 

"You are," Oliver said, somewhat happier. 

"Talk to her. Make an effort. Show her that you are trying and maybe, just maybe, she will meet you along the way," Nyssa proposed. 

"What would I do without you?" Oliver wondered as he wrapped his arms around his wife. 

"That's easy," Nyssa quipped before kissing Oliver. "You wouldn't have made it this far. 

#Arrow# 

"Everything alright, Oliver?" Moira asked her son as their limousine drove through the city on it's way to Queen Consolidated. 

"I'm fine," Oliver replied, staring out the window. "Just remembering."  

The rest of the drive was made in silence and Oliver soon found himself standing on the sidewalk outside his family's company, helping first his mother and then Nyssa from the car. Dig had climbed out of the passenger seat where he had travelled and once Oliver had shut the door, Dig knocked on the window and the car pulled away into the traffic once again. The four of them made their way up the stairs and into the foyer where Walter was waiting for them.  

"I hope the traffic wasn't too bad," Walter offered in greeting. 

"It was fine," Oliver said as he looked around.  

"Yes, well, why don't we head upstairs?" Walter suggested as he motioned them towards a bank of elevators. Everyone started to follow by Nyssa pulled up short. 

"Actually, if it is alright, I might just wait down here," Nyssa said, somewhat awkwardly. "I might go get a coffee of something." 

"Are you sure dear?" Moira asked, actually surprised that Nyssa did not want to come inside. 

"Quite sure," Nyssa replied. "You continue without. I'm sure you have lots to discuss." 

"As long as you're ok," Oliver said. "Dig might be open to keeping you company if you want." 

"No, he is your bodyguard. He should be with you," Nyssa proclaimed. "Go. I'll be fine." 

"Alright then," Oliver said, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I'll call you when we are on our way back down then." 

"Perfect," Nyssa said. She stood in the foyer and watch as they all entered one of the elevators, the doors shutting and whisking them up into the tower. As soon as they were gone, Nyssa turned and walked up the main desk. "Hi, could you direct me to a Felicity Smoak?" 

#Arrow#

"Oliver, as you can see, we have modernised quite a bit," Walter pointed out as they exited the elevator onto the executive level of the main tower. While the elevator banks were set into a vibrant, green marble, the rest of the floor was all steel and glass. Oliver whistled in awe as Walter led him, Moira and Diggle along the short corridor towards his office.  

"Are you enjoying yourself?" she asked, seeing the smile on her son's face.  

"Yes, I am," Oliver said truthfully. It was good to be in this building again. He had good memories of being here. 

"I remember when your father used to bring you here when you were a boy." Walter said cheerfully as they all entered his office. Oliver noticed Diggle took up position by the door, something he doubted his mother or Walter even noticed. "You always were so excited."  

"Dad let me drink soda in the office." Oliver revealed wistfully, his mind wandering back.  

"Ah!" Moira exclaimed happily, smiling. "So that is why you enjoyed coming here."  

"Queen Consolidated's success of late is a result of its targeted diversification." Walter began to explain as Oliver looked around the office. "We have been making impressive inroads into cutting-edge fields like bio-tech and clean energy."  

"That' sounds promising." Oliver interrupted, as he looked out the window to the city below, his city.  

"Sweetheart," Moira said, beckoning her son to join them. "Oliver, Walter and I have something we would like to discuss with you. Come, please sit." She motioned towards one of the chairs in front of Walter's desk. Oliver looked at her warily.  

"Mom, it makes me nervous when you ask me to sit down," Oliver stated. The three stood awkwardly for a moment, before Walter continued.  

"Queen Consolidated is about to break ground on a new site for the Applied Sciences Division, and we would like to honor your father by dedicating the building in his name," he announced.   

"That's nice," Oliver agreed, nodding. 

"There's more," Walter started. 

"We'd like to make an announcement at the dedication," Moira added in a measured tone, "That you will be taking a leadership position in the company."  

"No." Oliver adamantly said without pause.  

"YOUR company." She emphasized.  

"No, I don't want to lead anything." He fired back strongly, then looked at Walter. "Besides, Walter is doing a great job here."  It was the first...kind....thing Oliver had said to or about Walter since he got back, and the elder businessman was stunned momentarily.  

"You said that you wanted to be a different person," Moira urged Oliver. "And you are Robert Queen's son."  

"I don't need to be reminded of that." Oliver replied, his voice suddenly cold.  

"Well, obviously you do," pressed Moira, disregarding her son's change in tone and posture. Walter walked up next to Moira and put a reassuring hand on his wife's back.  

"Everyone here understands that this transition is going to be extremely difficult for you," Walter offered, trying to settle the runaway conversation. 

"Thank you, Walter." Oliver said, the civility he had tried to build crumbling slowly away. "Which part, though? Everyone fantasizing that I got my MBA while I was on the island? Or the fact that my father's CFO..." Oliver caught himself before he finished what was on his mind. It wouldn't help to antagonize an already tense situation. "I'll think about it." 

His mother's disappointment was obvious to Oliver as she turned away from him. Oliver, for his part, was ashamed at his outburst. Moira walked towards the door, then stopped and turned.  

"You know, five years ago, your irresponsibility was charming, to a degree," She said. "It is a lot less so now." She then turned and walked out of the room. Walter studied Oliver for a moment before turning and following after a moment. Dig looked on, no judgment whatsoever on his face. As a soldier, he knew what it was like to come home to a world you didn't recognize anymore.  

#Arrow# 

"Hello Felicity," Nyssa said as she stepped around the corner of her cubicle and lent on the edge.  

"Nyssa. Hi," Felicity exclaimed. She had been engrossed in a computer problem and had been oblivious to the woman's approach. "How are you? What are you doing here?" 

"I am well, thank you," Nyssa replied, unable and unwilling to hide her smile at Felicity's reaction to her presence. "You said that if I wanted to find you all I had to do was look here at Queen Consolidated." 

"I did say that, didn't I," Felicity said, remembering her own words from the previous week. "So why did you want to find me? Not that it's a bad thing you trying to find me. Is it?" 

"I believe that will be up to you to decide," Nyssa responded, answering Felicity's babble. "I came looking for you because I enjoyed our coffee together last week and I was wondering if you would like to join me again." 

"Ah, ok," a bewildered Felicity said. "I don't usually go on coffee dates with anyone. Actually I don't usually go on dates at all. Long story. This isn't a date date, is it?" 

"No, I don't believe it is," Nyssa replied, off put by Felicity's strange yet oddly endearing speech habits. 

"Oh, that's good then," Felicity said, her relief obvious. "I'm not sure what I would say if it was. I've never had an attractive woman ask me out on a date before. Oh, my god. I just said that out loud, didn't I?" 

"You did," Nyssa said, smiling at Felicity, who was blushing deeper as the seconds passed. "Thank you for the complement." Nyssa's words caused Felicity to blush even redder then what she already had. "So, about that coffee?" 

"Yes, coffee. I love coffee," Felicity babbled, trying to distract herself as she grabbed a notepad on her desk. "Here is my phone number. Call or text me when you wanted to catch up and we'll work something out." Felicity tore off the top sheet and offered it to Nyssa, who took it. 

"That sounds lovely," Nyssa said as she pocketed the piece of paper. "I should leave you to your work. I think I have distracted you enough." 

"From this?" Felicity asked, indicating her workspace. "This I could do with my eyes closed or in my sleep. You showing up is actually a respite from the tedium that is my work here." 

"Well, I'm glad I chose to come find you today then," Nyssa said with another smile. "I will be in touch. Goodbye Felicity." 

"Bye Nyssa," Felicity replied cheerfully. She watched Nyssa walk away before turning back to her work. "And back to the grind." 

#Arrow# 

Oliver and Dig descended in the elevator in silence, Dig already having called for a car. The two walked purposefully through the foyer and out into the sun where they had to fight their way through a sea of reporters to the Bentley waiting at the sidewalk. Dig got Oliver in, then walked around and got in on the other side.  

"The driver will be here in a minute." He said as they settled into their seats, the reporters still shouting questions to them from outside the car.  

"Okay. I've already texted Nyssa," Oliver replied tersely, still thinking about what happened in Walter's office. They were silent for a few moments before Dig spoke.  

"You know, I spent the first 27 years of my life in Starling City, and the next five in Afghanistan." He started. "You want to know what I learned?"  

"There's no place like home?" Oliver replied dryly, not really in the mood to speak. Dig smiled at his response and shook his head.  

"No, just the opposite. Home is a battlefield." He explained calmly. "Back home, they're all trying to get you. Get you to open up, to be somebody you're not sure you are anymore or could ever be again." He paused and looked at the young man. "Or I could be wrong. Maybe after five years on a deserted island, you're not as messed up in the head as you have every right to be,"  Dig observed. 

"She is why I'm not," Oliver said as he looked out the window. John followed his gaze and saw Nyssa stepping out of the foyer of Queen Consolidated. She looked around for a moment before she fixed her eyes on Oliver and headed towards him. Dig wondered, not for the first time, what really happened on that island as he climbed out of the car. 

#Arrow#

"Do you think Somers will testify?" Nyssa asked that night as she lay on their bed. "If he is involved with the Triads, I doubt it will be as simple as threatening him once." 

"I agree," Oliver said as he stepped out of the bathroom. "But, he, like everyone else, will get an opportunity to do the right thing. And when he doesn't, I will be there to convince him to do it." 

"I have found you can be rather convincing when you want to be," Nyssa observed. 

"I had a good teacher," Oliver replied as he sat on the bed next to his wife. "My concern though is the Triad. They have a tendency for killing those that get in their way." 

"And currently Laurel is putting herself in their way," Nyssa pointed out. 

"Yes," Oliver stated. "What should I do?" 

"Protect her," Nyssa said simply, as if it was obvious. "Besides, I think it is time I met Laurel Lance myself." 

"Should I wear armour?" Oliver teased. 

"Do you think it would save you?" Nyssa retorted to Oliver's chuckle. Nyssa smiled at him before speaking again. "What are you going to do about Thea?" 

"Thea," Oliver said quietly. "I never considered how my absence would have hit her, and now being back and seeing it. It worries me how much she becoming the person I was." 

"Then how are you going to stop it?" Nyssa asked her beloved. "No one is beyond saving. Talk to her." 

"You said that this morning," Oliver pointed out. 

"I did," Nyssa agreed. "It was good advice then and it still is now." 

"What do I say to her though? I can exactly tell her the truth," Oliver said. 

"No, you can't," Nyssa replied and she lifted her hand to rest on Oliver's chest over his heart. "But you will know what to say when you need to. Trust yourself." 

"Don't suppose you have any ideas about my mother's idea for me to join the company as well?" Oliver wondered idly. 

"I don't," Nyssa declared, amused. "But I am sure that we can think of something. Together." 
Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]

Reply #4
Chapter 05 - Relationship Revelations

"Attorney for shipping magnate, Martin Somers, has confirmed his client has no intention of testifying, maintaining his innocence in the wrongful death of Victor Nocenti. Nocenti's body was found four weeks ago. We'll keep you updated as more information becomes available."

"Obviously Somers requires more convincing," Oliver growled as he glowered at the morning news report on the TV.

"We thought he might," Nyssa said as she reclined on top of the bed, admiring her husband's physique, even as he reached for his shirt and began putting it on.

"Wait, how did you get those?" Thea asked as she entered his room through the open door. Oliver scowled in annoyance, even as he turned and tried to close his shirt. Nyssa stayed silent and still on the bed, choosing to watch rather than act. She was curious about what Thea's reaction would be to Oliver's scars, which she had obviously seen.

"Don't you knock?" Oliver grumbled.

"No," Thea declared forcefully as she strode up to her brother and forced him to turn around to face her. "Mum said there were some scars but she didn't..." Thea explained as she gently wrested the edges of her brother's shirt from his clenched hands and drew it open to completely reveal his torso; and all the scars upon it.

Nyssa watched the look of horror appear on Thea's face and recognized what it was; the beginnings of an understanding of what Oliver had gone through in the 5 years he was away.

"I'm..." Thea started before she had to stop. She took a moment to steady herself before she continued. "Oliver, what happened to you out there? What happened to you both?" Thea asked as she looked across the room at Nyssa, looking to see if she had any similar scars. Nyssa did have a few, but they weren't where you could normally see them.

"I don't want to talk about it," Oliver said as he pulled his shirt free and began buttoning it. Thea scoffed at his words.

"Of course you don't," she said angrily. "You never want to talk to me about anything. The only thing you want to know about me is my social life," she accused, turning to walk out. Nyssa was about to call out when Oliver spoke.

"Wait!" he called out, stopping Thea from leaving. He took a deep breath as Thea folded her arms in defiance. "I'm sorry Thea," he started. "I've been told that I need to, get better, at talking about what happened to me while I was away. But I'm not ready yet." Oliver said all this while looking Thea in the eye, hoping she would understand what he was trying to say. "Okay?"

"Do you have a second?" Thea asked after staring at her brother for a moment. Nyssa could tell she meant privately.

"Sure," Oliver responded simply.

"Good. There is something out back that I want to show to you," Thea explained before glancing at Nyssa. "I won't keep him long." Oliver looked at Nyssa and saw her nod her encouragement as he grabbed his jacket before he followed his sister out.

Thea led him down and out of the mansion and into the backyard to a clearing where two headstones had been erected. They read:

Robert Queen 

1958-2007 

A leader, a husband 

Oliver Queen 

1985-2007 

A loving son and brother, whose light was diminished far too soon

"Sometimes I'd come out here, when I felt...whatever," Thea said as she stopped in front of her father's headstone. She knelt down and brushed away the stray laves that had settled on it before she spoke again. "Mom stopped going out about a month after funerals. Soon, she stopped talking altogether. I'd come down here because the house was so quiet." She pointed at her brother's headstone. "To talk to you." Oliver could tell from her voice that she was trying not to cry. He knew he should say something but wasn't sure what to say. "Stupid stuff. What boy I had a crush on or what I was doing that day. Sometimes I couldn't help it and I'd ask, beg, you to find your way home to me, Ollie." She stood and turned to face her brother. "And now, here you stand. But the truth is, I felt closer to you when you were dead." She paused to brush a single tear away before focusing back on her brother. "I understand that it was hell there, but you need to understand that it was hell here too. You gotta let me in, Ollie," Thea implored her brother. "You have to let someone in. And not just Nyssa." Finished, Thea stepped past her brother and walked away, leaving Oliver to stand before the pair of headstones. Oliver looked down at his headstone, thinking about everything his sister had told him and wondering how much he could, should share.

#Arrow#

"Still sure you want to do this?" Oliver asked Nyssa as they walked down the hallway, Oliver carrying a brown paper bag.

"I am," Nyssa replied. "You have told me much about her but that is all from the past. I would like to meet the woman that was able to grasp your heart for a time."

"I didn't exactly treat her nicely," Oliver admitted. "Then or now."

"We all make mistakes beloved," Nyssa said as she placed a hand on Oliver's cheek. "But it is how we move on from those mistakes that makes us who we are. You still want her friendship? Show her that you can, and still want to be a friend."

"I love you," Oliver said as he kissed Nyssa.

"I know," Nyssa replied with a smile.

"Here goes," Oliver said as he continued down the hallway to Laurel's door, knocking softly. Shuffling was heard from inside before the door was opened, revealing Laurel standing there, her face blank. "Hi."

"Oliver," Laurel said emotionlessly.

"Are you ok? There are cops parked outside," Oliver asked. Both he and Nyssa had noticed the officers, courtesy of Detective Lance no doubt, stationed outside. They weren't sure how effective a defense they would be against Triad assassins but they might at least give some forewarning.

"I'm fine. They are from my dad. And how am I supposed to stay away from you, like you advised me to do, if you won't stay away from me?" Laurel wondered sarcastically. "What are you doing here?"

"It was pointed out to me recently that since I have been back, I have been cold and distant which has hurt those around me," Oliver tried to explain. "I was advised that it was probably a good idea to change this behavior before the damage I have done becomes too much to fix."

"And what? You thought you would start with the first person you pushed away?" Laurel pointed out angrily.

"By pushing you away, I thought I was protecting you," Oliver reasoned, pausing before continuing on. "But then I saw you at the court house yesterday and it made me realize that I had hurt you. I am sorry for that." 

"You're going to have to do a lot more than a pretty speech, Oliver," Laurel said, still angry.

"I know. But I will do what I need to do to win back your friendship," Oliver declared steadfastly. "And in the spirit of that possible friendship, there is someone that I want you to meet," Oliver said as he stepped to the side to reveal Nyssa behind him. "This is Nyssa."

"I remember you. You were at the court house yesterday. And at Tommy's party for Oliver last week," Laurel said, her mind already working, connecting the dots. "Oh my god. You're her. The woman that was rescued with Ollie."

"I am," Nyssa admitted. "Though I would appreciate it if you would keep that to yourself."

"When I first heard the news, I hoped it might have been Sara, but then Ollie showed up and Sara didn't," Laurel said sadly. "It almost felt like losing her all over again."

"I am sorry for your loss, Laurel," Nyssa consoled. "I too, have lost a sister."

"Then you know what it feels like," Laurel confided.

"I do," Nyssa confirmed. Laurel stared at Nyssa for a moment before glancing at Oliver and stepping back from the door, admitting the two of them inside. "Thank you," Nyssa said sincerely as she looked around.

"Wow. This place hasn't changed. It's still how I remember it," Oliver observed as he too, looked around.

"Well, I haven't had the time to redecorate," sniped Laurel as she walked past the two of them.

"Laurel, I admit I'm a jerk," Oliver announced, stopping Laurel in her tracks. "5 years ago I was a jerk and now, after the island and everything that has happened, I am just a damaged jerk." Laurel turned to look back at Oliver and saw the look on his face. What surprised her though was the look of annoyance on Nyssa's. Laurel decided to take pity on Oliver, though not before filing away the look on Nyssa's face for later.

"What's in the bag?" She asked, indicating the bag that Oliver was still carrying.

"5 years on an island gives you a lot of time to think. I thought of a lot of things on the island but there was one thing I thought about every day," Oliver said as he reached into the bag. Nyssa smiled too as Oliver had shared this memory with her. "I actually dreamed about it, and I promised myself that if I ever got off that island, that I would do it again with the two of you."

"Oliver..." Laurel started accusingly.

"Eat ice cream," Oliver said as he pulled his hand from the bag to reveal a large tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Laurel couldn't stop the smile gracing her face, joining the ones on Oliver's and Nyssa's.

#Arrow#

"This is better than I remember," Oliver said with a smile as he dug into the carton with his spoon. It had been a long time since he had eaten ice cream.

"It is amazing," Nyssa added happily. "Oliver told me that it was good but this is beyond good."

"You've never had mint choc chip before?" Laurel asked, aghast at the thought.

"I did not have many luxuries growing up," Nyssa revealed evenly. "Ice cream was not one of them."

"I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up without ice cream," Laurel said. "Can you Ollie?"

"No, no I can't," Oliver agreed, thinking. "Raisa always had my favorite in the freezer."

"What's on your mind Ollie?" Laurel asked her ex. She could still tell when he was thinking too hard.

"My mother wants me to take up a leadership position at the company," Oliver replied. Laurel couldn't help looking at him as if he had to heads. Oliver smiled at her look. "Yeah. Take my rightful place."

"I'm having a hard time picturing you as master of the universe," Laurel remarked casually. Oliver and Nyssa could tell she was being honest, not mean, when she said that, though she missed the quick glance they shared.

"Yeah," Oliver commented Oliver through a tight smile. "After five years on an island, I have plans. Things that I want, that I need to do. I can't be doing them if I am at Queen Consolidated all day every day, attending stockholder briefings and board meetings."

"Oliver, last time I checked, you were an adult," Laurel pointed out. "You can say no."

"Apparently he tried," Nyssa replied casually. "Moira was, less than impressed."

"Well then show her rather than telling her," Laurel reasoned. "Be the kind of man that you want her to see you as. Trust me. Years' worth of experience dealing with a disapproving parent here."

"I believe you," Oliver stated. "I have been on the receiving end of your father's disapproval."

"My father blames himself more than he blames you," Laurel admitted as she leant back into the couch. "He thinks that if he and Sara were closer, maybe she would have told him about the boat rip and he could have stopped her."

"It is sometimes hard for fathers to relate to their daughters," Nyssa observed quietly. "Especially if those daughters are strong willed. Something Oliver tells me Sara was."

"He spoke about her?" Laurel asked, surprised.

"Yes," Nyssa answered. "We spoke of many things during our time on the island. Our pasts, our presents and our future."

"Sorry, pasts, presents and future?" Laurel recapped slowly and concisely. "Singular?"

"Yes, Laurel," admitted Oliver. "During the years we have been together, Nyssa and I, we have grown close. Closer than I thought I could be with anyone."

"Even me?" Laurel enquired, a tear welling up in her eye.

"At first, no," Oliver stated calmly. "But after I thought about all the pain and suffering I have caused you and your family, I realized I could never be with you like that. Not after what I had done."

"So you two?" Laurel asked, her implication clear as she wiped the tear in her eye away.

"For almost 2 years now," Oliver said softly, pausing before continuing. "There's more."

"Do not tell me that you knocked her up while you were abandoned on a deserted island!" Laurel practically shouted. "I cannot believe that you are that irresponsible."

"What, no!" Oliver objected. Seeing Laurel calming down, he added the salt. "We married each other."

"What?" Laurel exclaimed, focusing all her attention on Oliver, her intensity almost palpable.

"We married each other," Oliver repeated slowly. At Laurel's continued glare, he tried to explain. "We never thought we were getting off the island. And by that time, our relationship. Too us it felt right to do that."

"I am not going to comment on you getting married on a deserted island," Laurel said, taking a moment to breathe and compose herself. "How did your mother take the news of your marriage? Given its lack of legality."

"She was far from impressed," Oliver admitted with a soft smile. "I may have convinced her to organize a proper wedding rather quickly by threatening to take a trip to Vegas if she didn't."

"I bet she loved that," Laurel deadpanned.

"She was not impressed, that's for sure," Oliver replied before his look saddened. "I am sorry."

"You apologized already," Laurel stated, clearly not wanting to talk at the moment.

"And after everything I have done," Oliver remarked. "It will never be enough." Silence descended on the room as no one spoke or even moved. Then Oliver thought he heard something. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Laurel asked in confusion; she hadn't heard anything. Oliver deftly grabbed the kitchen knife he had used to open the ice cream with; it was dull but his instincts demanded he arm himself and it would work in a pinch. Nyssa had also focused on her senses more even though she was furthest from the window that seemed to have Oliver's attention and closer to the front door. And then she heard a noise as well.

"There is someone at your front door," Nyssa declared at the same time her beloved spoke.

"There is someone on your fire escape," Oliver stated as he climbed to his feet; listening but taking note that Nyssa was also up. He heard more noises so he grabbed Laurel's arm, pulling her to her feet. "Come on!"

"What?' Laurel asked in obvious confusion; she still hadn't heard anything as the three of them began to move through the apartment. And then all hell broke loose.

The front door crashed inwards as a large Asian man wielding an Uzi broke in. Oliver pulled Laurel down and back into the apartment as bullets sprayed above their heads. Nyssa moved back as well but found herself separated from Oliver. The Asian man emptied the clip of his weapon before he spied Nyssa. Smiling an empty grin, he dropped his gun and drew a dagger.

Oliver searched for a way out of the apartment, even as he pulled Laurel along behind him. He was aware of the gunfire stopping behind him but before he could look, a second man crashed through the window into the apartment. Oliver ducked down further and continued into another room, Laurel close behind as he looked for a way to take out the attackers without Laurel seeing what he could really do. Their movement was halted, however, when a short Asian woman with long white hair stalked into the room, a small knife in each hand.

Nyssa was about to engage her opponent when she saw Diggle approaching the apartment, drawing his firearm when he saw the man threatening Nyssa. Nyssa quickly decided that John eliminating him was a better option and stepped sideways even as Diggle entered through the broken door; firing at the man engaging Nyssa. He fell to the ground as Diggle turned and fired at the second attacker, taking him out of the fight as well before he was disarmed by the short, Asian woman.

Recovering quickly, he relieved her of one of her knives before quickly parrying several thrusts from the other blade she held. He wasn't fast enough, however, to stop her from sweeping his legs out from under him; sending him crashing to the ground. The woman pounced on him, rendering him defenseless and was about to stab him when the blade she still held was knocked from her hand by a thrown kitchen knife. They both looked sideways to see Oliver recoiling from the throw. A quick glance back at Diggle and the woman lunged out the ruined door, retreating in haste from the suddenly uneven fight.

Oliver watched John climbed to his feet and retrieve his weapon, even as Laurel ran into his arms, crying. Oliver saw Nyssa come around the corner, looking as serene as the day he married her.

"Are you ok?" Oliver asked calmly. Nyssa smiled and nodded as Diggle approached him.

"Mr Queen, are you hurt?" he asked loudly. "Are you hurt?"

"No. No, I'm good," Oliver replied as he mind processed what had just happened.

"This," Diggle remarked as he indicated the apartment. "Is why it is a good idea to have a bodyguard." He continued as he moved around the apartment, checking on the two assailants he had shot and securing their weapons.

#Arrow#

"I can't believe that just happened," Laurel said to Nyssa as they sat on the couch. Diggle and Oliver were across the room, speaking to a Detective. "How can you be so calm? We almost died."

"This is not my first brush with death," Nyssa remarked casually as she looked at Oliver. "After the first few times, you start to react differently."

"You really love him, don't you?" Laurel asked when she realized where Nyssa was looking. 

"Very much," Nyssa replied honestly, switching her gaze to the woman beside her. "More than I ever thought possible."

"How did you know he loved you like you loved him?" Laurel wondered idly, unable to stop herself.

"He did something impossible," Nyssa said slowly. Laurel could almost see Nyssa go through the memories of something in her head. "He saved my life."

"How?" Laurel asked, curious. She had never pegged Oliver for the lifesaving type.

"A story for another time," Nyssa hedged. "Suffice it to say, he proved his love to me, though it was almost a year before I returned it in kind."

"Really!" Laurel exclaimed in surprise. "Now I definitely..."

"Laurel!" Quentin Lance's voice echoed into the room before the man himself appeared through the broken door, stepping past several uniformed police officers. He was clearly out of breath but didn't pause as he spotted his daughter and ran over and enveloped her in a hug.

"Daddy!" Laurel said, glad to have him here.

"Oh, thank God," Lance proclaimed openly. "Are you alright?"

"I'm ok," Laurel assured her father before asking a question she didn't want an answer to, but knew she had to ask. "Those cops that you put on me. Are the..."

"They..." Lance started slowly, not wanting to hurt his daughter.

"I went outside to ask them for a light," Diggle cut in, relieving the Detective who hadn't noticed his approach. "I found them both dead in their car."

"Mr Diggle. My thanks," Quentin said in genuine gratitude. "Feel free to run every red light in this city if you want too."

"Just doing my job, sir," Dig explained evenly. Quentin though, shook his head in disagreement.

"No. Your job is to protect him," Quentin stated as he looked at Oliver, who now stood beside Diggle. He stepped in front of the man and snarled in his face. "It seems that whenever you are with one of my daughters, people end up dead. You need to stay away from Laurel or so help me, the next time that you disappear, it will be permanent."

"Detective," Diggle said in an advisory tone.

"Dad!" Laurel exclaimed at the same time. "If he hadn't been here, I'd be dead right now."

"No, Laurel..." Quentin started, turning to face his daughter but was interrupted by Oliver.

"It's ok," Oliver uttered appealingly. "I understand."

"You better," Quentin said as he moved back to his daughter. "Who are you?" He asked as he noticed who he thought was a detective was actually not.

"I am Nyssa, Detective Lance," Nyssa replied casually as she introduced herself. She was imagining a horrible death for the Detective, but was fighting the urge to actually do it; too many witnesses.

"Right," Lance said dismissively. "Well, make sure you have given a statement before you leave."

#Arrow#

"This should help," Oliver said as he walked and tossed Diggle an ice pack. He had noticed the man massaging his hand since they had left Laurel's apartment. "I'd say thank you, but I'm almost sure that would not cover it."

"Well, like I told your Detective friend. I was just doing my job," Dig replied, standing as he held the ice pack on his hand. "Besides, if I remember correctly, I think it should be me thanking you."

"What for?" Oliver asked as he put a confused look on his face.

"The knife," Dig stated simply. Oliver nodded as if he finally understood what Diggle was referring to.

"The knife," he said. "I got lucky."

"That was a kitchen knife, Mr Queen. It wasn't even weighted properly," Diggle explained. "Yet, you threw it with accuracy across a 10-foot room."

"Like I said, I got lucky," Oliver hedged. Diggle stepped up to Oliver; close enough to be confronting but far enough to be respectful.

"I'm not the kind of man you want to take for a fool, Mr Queen," he stated in a firm voice. "Do you understand me?"

"Yes," Oliver replied back, knowing he was right. Dig just looked at him, as if examining him.

"And I think just beginning to understand the kind of man you are," Diggle said observantly.

"Shouldn't take you long. I'm shallow," Oliver quipped. "And tired, so have a good night," Oliver remarked as he turned and walked off towards his room.

"Good night, sir," Diggle called after him as he flexed his hand before reapplying the ice pack.

Lorad [Show/Hide]
Samala [Show/Hide]