Skip to main content
Topic: 2380: Spacedock: Observations and Distractions (Read 3722 times) previous topic - next topic

2380: Spacedock: Observations and Distractions

CPO Victor vanVinter | Spacedock| Earth orbit |  'Pilot's Lounge' | @Griff

Victor was in the so called 'Pilot's lounge' the nearest mess area near the shuttle bay and Flight deck for smaller craft in Spacedock. The sounds of cheery and friendly conversation rising up around the room, small clusters of on and off duty personnel at different tables, or at the bar enjoying meals, drinks, or just an easy location to watch the comings and goings of the ships through the doors out to Earth orbit. It was the closest thing to a 'pilot's bar' that was in orbit, at least to him, a place where anyone, conn officer, or shuttle pilot could come to relax and unwind as he was doing at the moment.

He was standing near a large window nursing an over sized mug of coffee, it's rich earthy aroma carrying soft hints of berries and cinnamon rising and the air, the aroma wafting through the general area around him. A long draw of the tasty rich beverage is taken as his intense blue and hazel eyes gazed out watching the small craft flying in and out.  Not un uniform at the moment, Victor was wearing a pair of black pants, with a conservative cut, that fit well on his long lanky legs. A black jacket of a thin breathable fabric, with sleeves that unfortunately stopped a few centimeters too far up on his long arms, and clearly couldn't be closed due to how it say tightly against his broad shoulders. below the jacket was a rich blue shirt with a printed logo on it of a primitive airplane and two mustachioed gentleman, with lettering that read 'Ohio: of course we invented flight, we had to get away.' 

It always relaxed him to be able to watch the craft coming and going, silently with a regularity in their schedules that just made him smile. The patterns he observed in the take offs and landings reminded him of his days as the Deck Chief on the USS Thunderchild. His left hand gently tapping against his side with an almost arcane timing that matched the traffic pattern of the smaller craft.

Thankful for the brief time away on his 'weekend' some 'leave' off of the USS Theurgy's Valkyrie project was something that he had needed after the crunch of the previous months. He didn't want to go all the way down to Earth though, so some time at Spacedock was his version of 'zen' watching the ships come and go for now. A smirk coming to his lips seeing a Type-8 shuttle pull a few maneuvers in Dock that would likely get the pilot reprimanded, but he certainly admired their style. A cheery laugh coming from him then, thinking about just what kind of dressing down that pilot would be getting later.  He'd absolutely have to buy them a drink, when or if, they showed their face in the lounge.

OOC Info: Feel free to join the scene If you'd have had a tenuous reason to be in the Sol system in 2380.

Re: 2380: Spacedock: Observations and Distractions

Reply #1
[PO3 Lillee t’Jellaieu | Pilots' Lounge | Earth Spacedock | Sol System ] Attn: @Tae

[Show/Hide]

By and large, Lillee t'Jellaieu was not a patient woman. She was after all rihanna, of the Ship-Clans, a farworlder and a former fighter pilot; none of those things suggested patience, kind consideration or gentle treatment. Nevertheless, quite against her preference, Lillee had learned patience and understanding. Five years of motherhood (not to mention living among the bizarre humans for even longer) had taught her a measure of self-control that had served her well while working for Admiral Sobral. During her time at Starfleet Command, Lillee liked to think that she had become an exemplar of patience.

Nevertheless, late that afternoon when Admiral Sobral had asked her to immediately drop everything, beam up to Spacedock, hop on a shuttle and fly to some starship in orbit, Lillee's limits were pushed. An eight hour workday had just become a sixteen hour workday, and that assumed everything was fine; if not, she'd be back the next day, and maybe even more days afterward. Ordinarily it'd be exciting to visit the largest ship in the fleet but after frantically arranging for the twins to be taken care of by their grandparents, not to mention rescheduling other things that had been planned for the evening, Lillee was fuming.

All things considered, when the bored deck chief at Spacedock asked her to "wait a bit, maybe an hour, your shuttle and cargo should be ready by then", she rather felt that she deserved an award for slamming his face into the deck.

With time to kill and nothing to do, Lillee headed to the pilot''s lounge (an odd term, as it wasn't actually restricted to just pilots). She walked inside, looking around, and shrugged as she went to the bar, ordering a (sadly) syntheholic cider, earning a few odd looks. Few people walked around with sheathed swords on their backs, after all, and yet fewer Romulans walked around the secure area of Spacedock. Lillee ignored them, long used to it and past caring. Her yellow jumpsuit was distinctly unflattering, although hardly uncommon in the lounge, the scabbard with her honour-blade slung over her back. With the cider in hand, Lillee looked around half-heartedly for a place to sit when she settled onto a familiar face.

"Elements preserve me," she said, walking up to the huge human, grinning. "Chief van Vinter. What are you doing here?"

Reply #2

Turned around hearing a familiar voice, and a grin plays on his face then, stretching his bemused featured into something actually jovial. "Ahh it's been too long! Good to see you Lillee, it's been too long" He takes a moment to look the blonde over, taking note of her general demeanor, and attitude. Leading his fellow NCO over to a table. He makes a motion to a passing waiter and speaks quickly to him. "Two bean and cheese burritos if you don't mind, It's my turn to buy anyway."

He adjusts his position in the chair and takes a long draw from the mug of coffee that he was busily downing. "You petty Officer, look like you should have taken my advice and steered away from that damn Headquarters posting. You're going grey."  He smirks wryly at that, his scarred face twisting into a nasty visage as the scar tissue on the left side of his face distorts in a ghastly imitation of a proper smirk. The scarred skin of his upper brow even distorted briefly, setting off the sharp ridges of his nasal bridge, while not as pronounced as a full blooded Bajoran, the gesture, plus the scars certainly made his nose look wrinkled. "Joking aside however, just how are you doing? Because honestly you seem stressed. He was polite and honest in his concern for the slightly more junior enlisted woman.

Almost as an afterthought, Victor snaps his fingers and speaks up again, with a  joy that was bubbling to the surface much like a geyser before it was about to blow. "To answer your question though, as to why I'm here? I have a few days free of 'leave' if it can even be called that. The project that I'm working on is reaching a new phase. And I've been pulling too many hours behind the stick so to speak. So the Deck Chief had me take some time off.  You know how it is, you have to stay sharp, especially when testing something new.  There was a mysterious joy in his voice, the experienced Senior NCO having an air of ebullient joy around him that wouldn't be out of place on a teenager going on their first date.  There was so much more that he wanted to say, but he holds back only by taking another sip of his large mug of coffee, taking the time to breathe it in.

Reply #3
[PO3 Lillee t’Jellaieu | Pilots' Lounge | Earth Spacedock | Sol System ] Attn: @Tae

[Show/Hide]

"Oh, I am quite alright, thank you," Lillee said pleasantly. "Khartoum is a wonderful place to work. I only have to go to San Francisco occasionally. Truly, the twins keep me busier than work ever could. The admiral likes to say that I look more refreshed after a full day of work than when I come in in the morning." She sipped her cider, listening as the chief described what he was up to, and she rolled his eyes.

"Chief, could you be any more mysterious?" she teased, although with a note of exasperation. "I work for the SCE, yes? You remember? The only thing that can get you this excited is the Mark III, and the only active squadron of those is on the Theurgy. I'm going there as soon as the Elements-cursed deck chief here pulls his head out of his ass. The squadron reported some anomalies on their last deployment and the admiral wants me up there. I'll probably have my head in a Valkyrie's ass for the next couple of days."

Lillee considered vanVinter for a moment, before gesturing at a table as it was vacated. Sitting down, she set down her drink and unzipped her jumpsuit, pulling it down and tying it off, at the waist releasing her arms from its confines. Her grey tank top was modest and light, much to Lillee's preference. She knew other women with larger busts who had to make do with full shirts when in duty, just to stop tongues wagging during work; Lillee, with her smaller breasts, had no such worries.

"So what is the Theurgy like?" Lillee asked vanVinter curiously as she drank. "I haven't been aboard yet, but I've heard things. I can't imagine a ship with an AI."

Reply #4

Smirked at the mention of her twins, he racks his brain for a moment, trying to remember their names. and thinking he had it right, he speaks up. "Look, if Anhlee and Monoui are ever 'less' work than your actual duties with the fleet, then I'll eat my boots. They're Kids, and that's how it should be—also, a good reason for me never to want any. And they should be starting school soon, right? Or have they already started?" He had a deadpan expression on his scarred visage, but there was a wry yet cheerful tone to his voice. He honestly did seem to care about Lilllee and her family, certainly viewing the woman as a friend. "Besides, if I did have kids, they'd grow up asking me, 'Daddy, why does your face look like melted plastic?' And I wouldn't want to tell them that story." For as joking as his tone was, there was an undercurrent of seriousness in his voice.

Victor followed Lillee over to the table she suggested and took a seat before replying to her. Thankful for the waiter's distraction returning with the food, he takes a bit of his burrito before saying anymore more, quite yet. The burrito gave him time to think about what he could say regarding the Theurgy project. Then she goes and names the ship. He knew her quite well, but well, her being the SCE was a thing that slipped her mind. But then she says the magic word 'Mark Three' followed shortly by 'Valkyrie,' and a devilish glint comes to his eye. Besides, there were dozens of Admirals. He couldn't and didn't keep track of even half of them. When he speaks again, it's with an exuberant tone. "Right, I've filed half of those reports, but there's more Brass attached to that project than an 18th-century schooner. It is good to know that you're one such rivet on one of those fixtures." Another pause to eat a bit more before thinking about what he could say and throws caution to the wind. "To be Frank, the Three's look brilliant and beautiful, but they've got some serious power management issues and reaction control problems, especially after about a thousand flight hours. So not even all that long into their service life, and they start needing intensive maintenance." A disgusted shake of his head follows, paired with a rather impolite set of curse words in Bajoran.

"Honestly, if there weren't so much Brass attached to that ship, it would probably never make it out of the yards. It's beautiful, but she's complicated beyond anything that we've ever dealt with before. She makes the Thunderchild look like a damn Walker Class by comparison. I can say that she's spacious, well-appointed, and has an eye for being impressive. But I wouldn't know how functional she'll be. And don't even get me started on her Fighter Bay. She's got a total of 16 parking spots and only two dedicated maintenance bays, which means most of the damn maintenance will have to be out on the deck. And the Way in and out? Not even wide enough to run launching and recovery operations in tandem safely, not in combat conditions."

He sighs and shakes his head, draining his glass and looking at it like he wishes it were whiskey. "All of that said, because the Theurgy is some Admiral's pet project, she'll get everything she could need and more. Theurgy's got the latest and greatest, and I would rather deal with a pain in the ass deck than being stuck on a station, or worse, at the bottom of a gravity well. As for her having an A.I.? Well, that, I'm not exactly qualified to discuss. I don't use her for much. She's useful for tracking inventory, but unless she can help turn a wrench, she might as well be another green as grass Ensign."

Reply #5

[Show/Hide]

Lillee winced sympathetically as Victor good-naturedly complained about the Valkyries and the Theurgy. "I know, I know," Lillee said, smiling. "Oh Elements, when I started flying with Starfleet, I could barely believe it. It was all so backward. Squadrons with no group identity, basic tactics, primitive fighters, appalling flight deck organisation. The turnaround time was dreadful in those days. I used to feel so superior when I flew for the Empire, but when I actually saw what we had been up against during those years, it felt like kicking a puppy. It's truly a miracle that we beat the Dominion."

She sighed. "It's better now, but you're right. Just two maintenance bays? A narrow mail slot? I'd hate to fly in that squadron if they ever fight a real campaign. The Romulans usually prefer dedicated carriers that carry many squadrons, not hybrid dreadnoughts like that monster out there." She paused, smiling. "She is a very beautiful ship though, isn't she? The Theurgy? I saw her fly by last week when the ship's orbit came close to central Africa. Starfleet makes gorgeous ships, it is true, but the Theurgy...wow. Is it bad that I'm hoping I get an excuse to take a Valkyrie out on a test flight? Just a little one?"

Lillee laughed, shaking her head. "Oh, I'm being silly. What sane pilot would let me take their bird out when they could fly it themselves?"

Reply #6

Victor tried not to bristle with what his friend had said about the early Starfleet squadrons. But, well, she was right. Starfleet had indeed had a dearth of any sort of fighter operations for far too long. Taking a long drink of his coffee, swallowing the last of that bitter beverage like the bitter pill it took the place of, he saw the truth in what she was saying. "I hate saying it, but you're right. Starfleet forgot the lessons learned by the Earth militaries in the 20th century. A small craft that is well-armed, maneuverable, and is relatively easy to produce can swarm and take down a larger vessel with ease. Honestly, Lillee, I'm glad that it wasn't a lesson we learned by ultimately having our asses kicked. If the Empire hadn't come in when we needed them, I doubt that we would have had time to effectively develop a fighter corps in time for it to be effective. That said, you're wrong on one count. For all of the bulk of the Peregine, it had an excellent modular design and was easy to produce and for maintenance. Though full disclosure, I do have over twenty-five thousand flight hours on the Peregrine." He smirks at that, giving his friend a cheery little smirk.

Taking a moment to finish off his meal, he sets his empty coffee mug atop the plate before pushing his chair back slightly.  "The Mark Three, however, I do hope that you get some time behind the stick of one of those. They're gorgeous, so long as you take care of them right. Trust me when I say that they're more high maintenance than your kids." He trails off, clearly thinking about her request to take one of the Threes out. He steeples his fingers, mulling it over. "If the request to do so is phrased right, say, in the form of a check-ride, especially to investigate the claims made by the pilots and maintenance departments, I think that we could spare a non-combat pilot to take you out. I could even do so if it came down to it, that is if no one else could be spared for it."

Reply #7

[Show/Hide]

Lillee beamed at Victor, taking a sip of her drink. "I knew I liked you, Chief. That would be wonderful. I am qualified on the Mark III but I only flew it a few times, always classified up the ass. I can't talk about what I did on those test flights, but I am allowed to say that I did the test flights and got qualified, which requires me to explain that the test flights are classified. How does that make sense?" Lillee sighed, exasperated. "Truly, Starfleet Security confuse me. Sometimes they're as lax as a Risian girl's bikini, other times they're tighter than a Tal Shiar colonel's ass on Exodus Day. Sometimes they treat me as if I'm still the enemy, other times they trust me implicitly. I am baffled. Anyway, getting to fly the new Valkyrie again, this time without half a dozen people watching my every move, would almost make this mess worth it. Almost."

She considered the Chief with a smile. "One of these days, Starfleet is going to capture a Romulan fighter and I can show you a real ride. The Valkyries have exceptional computers and shields but their thrust-to-mass ratio is far too weak, especially with all those weapon systems. You may think they're maneuverable but a Romulan bird can pull maneuvers that a Valkyrie can only dream of in a dogfight, even if the Valkyrie is faster at warp. A Romulan interceptor would light your world on fire, Chief, truly, and that's before you start playing with the cloaking device. You wouldn't believe the tricks a smart pilot can manage with that."

Lillee sighed wistfully. "So you have found no time outside work lately? No time for fun?"

Reply #8

He shrugs to Lillee at that, leaning back in his chair, a smirk playing on his scarred visage then. "You only like me so much because I don't deal with bullshit. I grew up on a freighter, and I'm a spacer born and bred. And living like that, there's no time at all for wasting time with silly formalities. I can get you a ride if you can get me the minimal amount of paperwork." He shrugs at that and laughs pleasantly. The tone of his voice bright and cheery while he explains. "Yes, I know what I just said, but we're both enlisted."

He goes silent, thinking about the idea of getting his hands on a Romulan fighter, and an eyebrow rises slightly, regarding Lillee with a curious gaze. "A cloak, on a ship that small? I mean, sure, fine, but damn, that has to be quite limited use, I'd assume. Anyway, for the most part, you're right about the Valkyrie, but I think that the design mentality is different. I think where Starfleet is going with the design philosophy is to create what would have been called a 'multi-role craft. It sounds like the Romulan perspective is as a 'superiority' mentality.  From what I'm able to tell, especially with the Mark three, they're trying to cram as much functionality into the craft as possible. While that isn't necessarily a bad design philosophy, it generally has to be backed up by more than just one craft type. But, for a primary force, it isn't a bad first step. So yes, The Romulan fighters can out-fly a Valkyrie, but I'd bet that the Mark threes can out-gun them."

He pauses at the question about finding time outside of work and gestures to the rest of the lounge. "This is my first day off in about a month Lillee, trying to get them operational and setting up interval maintenance procedures has been driving me up a damn wall. If you have suggestions, though, well, I'd love to hear it."

Reply #9

[Show/Hide]

Lillee grinned. "Chief, you have an entire planet down there to play on. Go sunbathe in the Pacific, party in Amsterdam, walk around the ruins of Pompeii. Visit the museums in Baghdad, go exploring the rainforests in Brazil. Walk around St Petersburg, see the Yosemite park in North America, go to an orchestra in Kinshasa. Oh Elements, I can never fathom how people take planets like Earth for granted. It is such a beautiful world."

Faintly embarrassed, Lillee became silent, nursing her drink. She hadn't meant to ramble, but the words had simply slipped out of their own accord. She knew full well why she had taken such a liking to Earth, the world taking the place in her heart of distant planets that Lillee could never return to. It was different to ch'Rihan, ch'Havran, ch'Beiran and the others, but that was no bad thing. There was no reason to hide her affection of Earth or even other worlds like Vulcan and Tellar, but nor did Lillee like exploring the reasons why she liked the planet.

Considering her drinking companion, Lillee added amicably, "Do you have anyone in-system? Family, friends? Boyfriend, girlfriend? I know that you spacers seem to have someone in every system. If not, you are always welcome to visit my home in Khartoum and eat genuine Romulan cuisine. I can do a fantastic piri piri chicken, too. The twins would love to meet you again, I'm sure."

Reply #10

Victor spent some time thinking about a response to visiting Earth, and he chuckles for a moment. "I'd have to invest a whole day to go down to the bottom of the gravity well if I wanted to enjoy myself, and going alone just never appealed to me. Tell you what, I think since you're providing a proper enough incentive there, Lillee, I believe that I could enjoy spending the day with you in Khartoum. Besides, the offer of a meal with you is always an enjoyable prospect. You're a pretty good cook, if I'm honest." He smiled at that, regarding the Romulan for a while, before saying anything else.  "I know what people tend to say about spacers, but I'm not like that, even if my family is relatively widespread. But my parents, I think they're out on one of the Betazed routes these days; they're nowhere nearby, though."

He paused, tilting his head as he regards the woman across from him for a moment before speaking again. "I have no problem at all with you showing me some of your favorite sights, though, in fact, That would be preferable to going solo..." He trails off, chuckling dryly. "I'm sorry I start to repeat myself when I get surprised, but I can't help but ask Lillee, are you asking me to spend time with you as a friend or on a date?" He seemed not quite confused by the question, even the one he was asking, but he was certainly surprised. "And No, I don't have any uhm, romantic partners currently, here or elsewhere." He smiled again at that and self consciously adjusted the poorly fitting jacket that he usually wore.  It had been a while since he'd had this particular conversation with anyone.  Suddenly, he dearly wished that he had something to shove into his face or fiddle with to focus on something other than the unexpected nature of the conversation. But at the very least, Lillee was a friend, so he wasn't anywhere near as awkward as it would be if she were someone else. So at the very least, he was able to manage a pleasant smile and meet her gaze with his rich blue eyes.

Reply #11

[Show/Hide]

Lillee laughed, but not unkindly. "Oh Chief, I have neither the time nor the energy for romance. I haven't been with anyone for over a year, in fact. My life is just too occupied right now between work and home. I think I will just wait a few years until my babes are a bit older and I'm higher up the ladder, where I can have more control of my work."

She smiled back at Victor, her brown eyes meeting his. "No, I ask you as a friend. You look like you can use a friend, speaking true, if you spend every waking moment with your Mark III's. Besides, I may need to bend your ear about any work the Theurgy deckhands and pilots have been doing to their fighters during their mission. I only ever get to fly stock fighters for tests, not deployed fighters, and Admiral Sobral doesn't really appreciate the difference. You wouldn't believe how much effort it took for us to convince him to use real fighter profiles and not stock for the computer simulations. He's a brilliant engineer, but he likes his...um...how you say...his rubber duckies in a neat little row."

Lillee considered for a moment, crossing her arms. "You know, Chief, I could find you a date if you wish. I can think of a half dozen possibilities already. One is just as disinterested in physical intimacy as you are, and he's quite gorgeous, truly. Sharp mind. Wicked sense of humour. Civilian, but he loves his ships too."

Reply #12

Victor chuckled lightly at that, waving a hand politely to his friend. "Right, sorry, you know me, sometimes I have a hard time, and things fly over my head. I know your kids are your focus, and that makes me happy to know it. You're a great mother to them, I'm sure. I'm fairly certain that they'll grow up loving you well." There was an honest smile gracing his features then, and he nods. "Yes, I would love to see some of your favorite sights on Earth. Nothing better than spending time with a friend, especially when it is such a delightful opportunity."

He pauses then and blushes at the thought of Lillee setting him up with someone on a date. Something nice and candlelit, maybe with a glass of excellent wine, some actual fish instead of something soy or replicated. He looks off into the distance for a while, and he mutters something under his breath. "Sure, one my last dates was in the Academy, and I got set up with one of my professor's kids. That didn't end well; at least that wasn't why I washed out. There was someone else after, but i haven't heard from her in a while." He shrugs then, thinking it over; it certainly couldn't go any worse. Looking at the archaic wristwatch, he wore on his right arm when off duty, he lets out a heavy sigh and rolls his eyes. "Alright, was it just you that needed a ride? Because I'm due back in a few hours, and if you care to leave with me now, I can give you a ride back. We might even have some time to see if you learned any new tricks in a Type-9."

Reply #13

[Show/Hide]

Lillee sighed. "I would love to, but the shuttle in the bay has some sensitive cargo aboard and I need to get back to the bay to launch in...oh, curse it, thirty minutes. I should check that the cargo they're loading is being handled right, I do not trust the deckhands in that bay at all. The chief is a moron, truly, and I would love to know he assembled so many other morons in one place, and who allowed it, just so that I can slap them silly too. This is Earth, the capital world of the Federation, and yet such stupidity still happens!"

Realising that she was rambling a bit, Lillee smiled apologetically and stood up, slinging her sheathed honour-blade back over her shoulder. "I will see you later, Chief, as time permits. It was wonderful to see you." She laid a hand on his shoulder, still smiling. "Now go enjoy your leisure time. You never know when you'll get more in our line of work, yes?"

With that, Lillee left with a distant bounce to her step at the fortuitous encounter with her friend. At least if she was stuck onboard the Theurgy for longer than expected, Victor would make the time more tolerable than she had initially thought, and Lillee found herself oddly looking forward to it.

Reply #14
CPO Victor vanVinter | Spacedock| Earth orbit |  'Pilot's Lounge' |

Victor couldn't help but smile to Lillee, happy that he'd managed to have some time with a friend before they both got assigned to the same duty station. He finishes off the last dregs of his meal then and stands up from the table giving a polite wave to the Romulan that he thought so highly of.  He wasn't going to shot through the lounge, but maybe he would go view some of the sights down on Earth.

Istanbul, Marrakech, Tokyo, Amsterdam, all places that he'd have to take a quick tour of before his work really swallowed up his schedule. Pulling up his schedule on his PADD, he takes some time to see when would be best. And there was that friend that Lillee had recommended. Maybe a nice dinner date on Earth would be interesting, maybe he could even swing a reservation at Sisko's? All things for the Bajoran to look into, things that brought a smile to his twisted visage.

Call that FIN.

Simple Audio Video Embedder