Skip to main content
Topic: DAY 01: SAR Away-Mission [1150 hrs.] (Read 13987 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: DAY 01: SAR Away-Mission [1150 hrs.]

Reply #50
[ Maya | USS Allegiant ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

"Permission Granted, Doctor," Natalie Stark snapped. "Well done, by the way. Now go help our people," she added in a softer tone as ThanIda zh'Wann staggered onto the bridge and plopped down into the seat at the tactical station.

"Yes Ma'am," Maya replied as rose from the communications/mission operations console with an eerily smooth movement.  As she darted off the bridge, it was the first time either woman could recall actually witnessing the little Vulcan hurry.

Before heading to the entry way, Maya made a brief detour to the medical bay to pick up a medkit and a breath mask.  When she arrived at the aft airlock, she paused to use the console by the door to take an atmospheric reading:  All clear.  She removed her breath mask and made her way to the coughing and reeling patients.  "Mister Herbert, report," she ordered as she crouched next to a human female whose combadge identified her as Crewman Amy Johnson. 

"They're all in terrible pain," Chief Petty Officer Jacques Hebert reported as he crouched at Aisha S'Iti's side.  "They inhaled some of that sulfuric acid and it doesn't take a lot to do a lot of damage!" he added as he examined the coughing Cardassian with a pulmonary scanner.  "The tri-ox compound is helping..."

"Understood," the green blooded physician replied curtly as she attempted to place a black rubbery mask over Crewman Johnson's mouth and nose.   The woman was struggling and coughing out blood.  Maya responded by pinching the trapezius nerve bundle and was rewarded when the girl went limp.  "Set their respiratory masks to atmosphere rating two point four six nine," she ordered as she placed the onyx mask over Johnson's face and pressed the buttons on the little screen over the mouth.  "Then administer ten milliliters of trioxin to stabilize them until we can return to the Theurgy."

The Allegiant's medical bay was sophisticated for its size but it was no substitute for the Theurgy's sickbay.  Hopefully the respiratory damage was superficial and surgery wouldn't be necessary.

Reply #51
[ Aisha S'Iti |  USS Allegiant ]

She loudly coughed as air began to feel water bathing her body.  Knowing that her body had been hit in several places by the drops of acidic rain she grasped at her uniform and pulled at it hard trying to get it off, so much so that it nearly ripped, not that it wasn't already a complete loss with the acid marred holes burned in it.  Despite the relief she should be feeling from the water she grasped at her chest and throat feeling the searing pain from the acid eating away at her insides.  It wasn't long before she felt a slight bit of relief as through hacking coughs she was forced to inhale through reflex and felt her lungs retch.

She violently continued to cough before feeling a intense surge from her abdomen as she watched a mixture of stomach acid and this mornings breakfast spill from her and splatter over the deck.  Despite the disgust her throat felt a bit better though and she son felt a hypospray being forced against her skin.  In a surging cough she bent over and a small bit of water seemed to drip from her nose. causing her to cough again as a bit more water was ejected from her lungs and to the ground.

Mere moments later she realized she was in the sickbay.  Despite feeling like she had the worst heartburn ever she could already tell the doctors did their job.  She breathed out heavily and felt her eyes water as a mixture of water and mucous began to drip from her nose as if she had nearly drowned.  She blew what water she could still feel out of her nostrils as she forced herself up.   Still painfully coughing she  made her way up and stumbled to one of the walls.  Looking at a small medical replicator she looked down at her hands and saw a few spots of blood.  'Not surprising,' she thought knowing a bit of first aid.  "Inhalant, Bronciodialator." she said before grabbing it and then making another order, "Inhalant, Pulmonary analgesic."  grabbing it she grasped at the first and used it before the doing the same with the second.

Taking a deep second breath she gasped loudly then screaming a moment as a quick pain seared through her lungs before starting to dissipate.  She grasped at the bed she had be in and looked to the doctor before setting down the bronciodialator and keeping the analgesic.  Asthma inhaler.  Forced the lungs to open up before I used the painkiller one.  Hurts like hell for a second but at least now I can go back to work.  she said grabbing a patient gown and throwing it on and heading to he door.  "Don't worry I'll be back in here once we are in orbit."  she sad heading out the door and heading strait for the bridge after grabbing the combadge from her ruined uniform on the way out.

Tapping the badge she coughed a bit more speaking up.  "Siti to bridge, Open up Commander.  I wanna make damn sure we completely off this rock."

Reply #52
[  Lt Cmdr Natalie Stark | Bridge - USS Allegiant | Varcae] Atten: all

While she hadn't expected it, the words from Ida seemed to ease the weight that was crushing Natalie's chest, the guilt from her command decision. They didn't absolve her completely, in her mind, but the pressure - mental, all of it - seemed to let up, just enough. She nodded, just a dip of her head, as the ship climbed up higher. The brunette could feel the vessel vibrate as the weapons discharged, raking the last of the beasts that had attempted to swarm the team when they were on the ground.

Before Natalie could agree with Ida, about the outlook for the rescued survivors or the next course of action, the comm dinged a notification, and a raspy voice called out from behind the bridge access door.
"Siti to bridge, Open up Commander.  I wanna make damn sure we completely off this rock."

"Are you out of your mind?" Natalie snapped back, but she opened the doors all the same. She wasn't quite sure how her tone sounded to the other women as she shifted seats, turning control over to the Cardassian but also taking over the Co-Pilot position. "You should be on a biobed. Probably having your lungs rebuilt," she added, with more than a little concern.

As the ship pulled away from the planet, Natalie finally turned back to Ida. "Considering that we're not picking up any other active distress signals from pods in this area, I am inclined to agree with you. We don't know how long it will take to find the next pod." If there are any pod's left to find she silently added, before continuing. "We're going to have to do this next part the hard way."

A sigh left her lips as she looked at the two officers on the bridge with her, and she reached up, rubbing her forehead. "Given the launch of the pods while Harbinger ship was still at warp, we have a large search grind to begin combing through, now that there appear to be no active signals. And we will search it. But that means working in shifts. And, Chief," she finally addressed the Cardassian again, "That means you will be spending the next few hours, minimum, in sickbay. And if needed, you as well, Lieutenant." She added, addressing the Andorian as well.

Once she satisfied herself that the two other woman understood her position on their health, Natalie punched up a comm channel, "Stark to Abner." Of the Harbinger crew, the Ensign was the one showing the most promise, "We need some extra hands up on the bridge to begin the next phase of the search and rescue; someone to help man the science station. You know your people better than I do. Please designate a few to rotate out of the next...12 hours?" She  bit her lip, "Send the m up here once you're satisfied. We have a long night left ahead of us."

Reply #53
The Cardassian nodded as she ran to the pilot chair bringing up the life sign sensors and pointing out what appeared to be a large mass moving their way.  "Can't stay," she gasped a bit "Saw something in the rain."  She pushed past what pain she felt and brought up every bit of engine power she could before swinging the ship around and angling it skyward.  Less than a minuite later they were safe and in a stable geosynchronous orbit around the planet.  She looked to her commander and nodded her head.  "I'll be going back to that biobed now." she said softly.   "I believe I misjudged when I said we would be safe even in the storm."  She said getting up from the seat and taking the inhaler and inhaling another puff of the pain killer.  "When I was getting in the ship I saw a large mass in the clouds  according to the sensors my fears were right.  There's something dangerous that lives in those acid-storms and I didn't want to stick around to find out how much of a threat it actually was."

OOC: for those curious about the life forms what I imagined was a large swarm, plague like proportions, of large insectoid creatures.  I imagined them as having strong insect like wings and being roughly the size of a pack animal such as a mule.  Their bodies would be covered by a strong acid resistant chitin allowing them to survive within the storms and adapted to feed on matter partially devolved in the storm's acidic rains (think of the rain as functioning as their primary means of digestion.) I imagine these would be the ALPHA predators of this world and are also the carnivorous plants primary pollinators and seed distributors while the predators previously encountered trapped within storms tend to be the prey of these creatures. (yea on this planet those things we faced are the midlevel nuisance predators and these things are the TOP of the food chain.  As for the Allegiant  as a swarm they could have potentially overwhelmed the shields enough to cause scratches to the hull sufficient to cause the acid rains to eat through parts of the hull and cause multiple small hull breeches.  damage would likely result in the need to Return to Base rather than continue the mission.  Theoretically if they scratched the right parts they could damage a critical system through acid rain exposure causing the shuttle to crash.  Definitely a significant danger. 

Reply #54
[ ThanIda zh'Wann | USS Allegiant | Bridge ] Attn: 1) Maya 2) S'Iti

At the tactical station, Ida spoke up. The trepidation that had come over her when she checked the heat signatures of the oncoming storm might have touched upon her tone. "S'iti was right. 'Something' was indeed there. Several of them, in fact. All of them with mass enough to eact this scout ship whole," she said quietly, gratified to leave the planet Varcae behind. Hopefully to never set her foot there again.

"Aye, I will have Doctor Maya check on me as well since I still feel nauseus, but I will remain with you until she - or mister Hebert - can come here instead. I am not prepared to leave you alone on the bridge with the Harbinger crewmen just yet, ma'am. I mean no disrespect, it's just protocol," she said when Stark wished for her to go to Sickbay. She would not be doing her job if she compromised the integrity of the mission.  Ida could head Ensign Abner's voice on the intercom as she answered Stark.

[Understood, Lieutenant Commander. I will send them your way. Abner out.]

"With your leave, I will go out and let them through the security gate," Ida said, and she waited on the Cardassian before stepping out, meaning to help the pilot if she suddenly fell over on the way down to the small medbay. Since the Allegiant was placed in orbit around Varcae until another lead on the next pod was found, Ida was confident Stark could manage on her own on the bridge. The pinkskin had pulled through and even flown the yacht on her own, after all. She just wasn't prepared to trust all of the Harbinger crewmen yet, and she didn't think she was too biased in her opinion because of what had happened on the Harbinger before it was destroyed.

"Well fought out there, Chief," said Ida to the Cardassian while she collected the weapons from the woman, meaning to return them to the armoury. She said it while inclining her head briefly in respect. "Thank you for not hesitating about leaving me behind, making the survivors your priority. I am pleased you were confident enough in my abilities to think I would be able to defend myself despite my weakened state. If not, I am merely pleased that you obeyed orders, even if you thought you left me behind to die. If you would have stayed, none of us would have made it back aboard."

Having said this, Ida gave the woman a once-over after she returned their weapons to the locker - stepping up to the former Marquis. "Not that I mind..." she said with a faint smile, her artistic eye finding the effect quite fetching in its own way, and especially so given the canvas, "but you could use a change of uniform. If you didn't bring a spare one, I am sure you'll be permitted to use the replicator."

Ida came to stand at the security gate station, about to admit the people Abner sent forth, letting Aisha go on ahead to the medbay. Surely, the small place was busy at that point, with the three survivors to tend to, and to lift T'Rena's mind-meld from as well. Hopefully, the vulcan was able to use the loading bay area as a triage centre, and Abner would likely be there to aide her as best as she might.

OOC: Doc M. next with the treatment of the injured, Abner an NPC there to help. IronFerrox could post next too with Aisha heading down there as well. Regardless, this would be the opportune time for a scene between Maya and S'Ithi. I will check on the two of you when you feel it is time to post with the last Escape Pod scenario (already written and finished to post), but the sensor-search will last through the night.  Just let me know when you guys don't want to write your scene any more.

Reply #55
 [ Maya | USS Allegiant | Medical Bay ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

At that moment Maya was moving Crewman Loclan Tsan into the medical bay.  Chief Petty Officer Curt Luca and Crewman Amy Jenson hadn't inhaled as much of the caustic gas as Tsan had, so Maya left them in the loading bay under the care of the only other medic aboard, Chief Petty Officer Jacques Hebert.  She had enlisted Crewman Luther Ford and Crewman Morgan Meyers to move Petty Officer Hildebrant to the bunkroom where the Crewman Degara Moon was recovering from  the sunburn his time on Aeron-2514 had inflicted upon his sensitive and reddened skin. 

"Get me forty milligrams of pulmozine and twenty millgrams of inaprovaline," the little Vulcan ordered as she and Crewman Russell Rodriquez moved  the unconscious Tsan from the anti-gravity stretcher they had carried him in on to the biobed.   "They will stabilize him until we can begin."

"Um... doc," the apologetic Rodriquez stammered.  "You know I'm an engineer right?  I'm an isoliniar technician, not a trained nurse."

"My apologies Mister Rodriquez," the little Vulcan acknowledged in a tone that implied haste more than contrition.   "Your services will not be needed," she added as she unpacked the surgical support frame from a compartment in the wall and placed it over Tsan.   "Kindly return to the bunkroom and inform me if Hildebrant or Moon require aid," she instructed as she adjusted the settings. 

As Rodriquez left the medical bay, Doctor Maya tapped her combadge.  "Mister Rowland, are you familiar with basic first aid procedures?" she asked as her long nimble fingers filled a hypospray. 

"Yes Doctor," Edgar Rowland's disembodied voice replied. 

"Head to the loading bay," she instructed.  "Nurse Hebert will give you instructions."  She tapped her combadge again.  "Mister Hebert, I require your assistance.  I'm sending Mister Rowland to monitor Lucas and Jenson.  Please give him instructions he requires and meet me in the medical bay."

"Aye-aye Doctor," Hebert's voice replied. 

Maya only needed Hebert's assistance for a moment, but in the meantime time was of the essence.  The sooner they could begin pulmonary regeneration, the sooner Tsan would start to recover.

OOC:  I don't imagine the procedure taking too long.  Maya will keep the conveyor belt moving.   I've left Abner free in case Stark wants her on the bridge.

Reply #56
[ Aisha S'Iti |  USS Allegiant ]

"Well fought out there, Chief.  Thank you for not hesitating about leaving me behind, making the survivors your priority. I am pleased you were confident enough in my abilities to think I would be able to defend myself despite my weakened state. If not, I am merely pleased that you obeyed orders, even if you thought you left me behind to die. If you would have stayed, none of us would have made it back aboard."

"Little from column A,  little from B." she said with a mild shrug.  The mission took priority obviously but more importantly if our roles were reversed I would have expected the same of you.  Besides, figured you were far enough away from the caves that Stark could get you out in the transporter.  All things considered one of us getting to the survivors was the priority of the mission.  Ordering me to leave you behind was the only option that had a chance to accomplish the mission."  she stated objectively.  "Besides those creatures were experiencing the same effects you were.  Since you were equally impaired figured you could still take them." she said with a soft laugh that caused her to cough a bit again noticing a small spot of blood on her hand when she down looked at it.

"Not that I mind...but you could use a change of uniform. If you didn't bring a spare one, I am sure you'll be permitted to use the replicator."

She smiled hearing the implied compliment on her looks.  "Ironically if we hadn't been so pressed for time i would'a been able to have slipped into the excursion suit i brought along," she said making her way to one of the biobeds and nodding to the security officer.  "And, I'll guess i'll have to make sure you see a little more next time."  she teased as she climbed up onto the bed and laid back trying to relax despite the pain that was beginning to come back.

A few minuites later

Once Ida was off to preform her duties and the doctor seemed to have a moment of calm in the bay Aisha spoke up now her voice barely audible from the damage to now somewhat eroded vocalfolds.  "when ya get a moment, I think I'm ready to be worked on." she said knowing that in order to get back to work she would need a pretty intense round of pulmonary regeneration as even she could tell there was damage all the way from her oral and nasal cavities to the alveoli deep within her lungs.

Reply #57
[ Aisha S'Iti & Maya | USS Allegiant | Medical Bay | 1510 hrs ]  A Joint Post by Doc M. and IronFerrox

"When ya get a moment, I think I'm ready to be worked on," Aisha declared hoarsely in a raspy voice that was nearly too soft for human hearing.  Fortunately Maya was not human, and her hearing was as acute as any of her green blooded species.

"Of course, Master Chief," the little Vulcan replied in a conversational yet professional tone as she stepped aside and let the injured Cardassian into the medical bay.  "You'll need to step aside and allow Chief Herbert to take Crewman Tsan to the bunkroom," she added as the enlisted nurse used the antigravity stretcher to carry the comatose Tsan out of the medical bay to the cabin being used as a recovery ward directly across the hall.  "Sit down on the biobed and take a deep breath," the little Vulcan instructed as she fetched a pulmonary scanner began prepping it for the diagnosis.

Aisha, nodded doing as asked before placing the inhaler that she had taken onto the equipment table near the biobed.  In a hoarse but not so painful whisper she spoke knowing the Vulcan doc could hear her, "Sorry for taking the meds like that, Maquis trick I cobbled together when we got caught in a cardie gas attack back in the dmz.  Bronchodilator to force open the lungs followed by a strong pulmonary analgesic to numb the pain.  Only works once whatever you got hit with is gone and it's been flushed out of your lungs, but the pain is dulled enough to get yourself back on your feet and fight long enough to get the hell out."

"Experience is often the best teacher," Maya commented while tilting her head to the right instead of nodding.  For a brief moment she recalled the 'improvisational medicine' she had employed during the Earth/Romulan War.   "Now try not to talk unless you need to," she admonished.  "Lie back on the bed and take a deep breath, letting the air out slowly if you can.

Upon laying down fully on the biobed Aisha, noticed the scanner being brought to bear across her chest and she forced herself to begin breathing deeply as possible sucking in a painful breath as Maya's left eyebrow rose a centimeter.

When Jacques Herbert returned to the medical bay the doctor spoke up, "Mister Herbert, prepare the patient for level one pulmonary regeneration," Maya instructed the blue collared human.  She leaned over Aisha and attempted what was known as 'bedside manner.'  "There is no need for concern Master Chief; we should have you back on the bridge within eight to twelve hours," she assured her. 

Deciding now was not the time to stress her lungs any more Aisha just replied with a smile and a simple thumbs up gesture and did as best as she could to relax.  Her body was in the capable hands of the ship's doctor and the rest of the team selected for the mission were plenty able to do without her at the helm.

[ Maya | USS Allegiant | Bridge | 2000 hrs. ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

At 2000 hours, Maya and Aisha returned to the bridge.  "I am happy to report that Master Chief S'Iti's recovery was faster than expected," the little Vulcan announced as she took her seat at the mission operations/communication station.  "Chief Lucas and Crewman Jenson are also responding to treatment.  Crewman Tsan, on the other hand, needs to be treated aboard the Theurgy.  It is unlikely that his condition will improve given the resources we have."

Reply #58
[ EL734 Nova Arctys | Somewhere on the Northern Hemisphere | 2000 hrs. ]

Checking the level of oxygen in her EVA-suit again, Yvette Conway hoped the storm would abate soon. With bitter mirth, she thought that it would be quite ironic if she was to run out of air after all that they had survived so far.

Their escape pod had come crashing down hard into a frozen bank of snow. What looked like snow anyway, for what qualified for snow on Nova Arctys was like nothing on Earth on a chemical level, but it was close enough. It certainly was cold, - 220 degreed Celsius in the midday, so in lack of another term, she would stick to 'snow'.

The impact had been quite severe, though the hull of the pod remained intact. This was good as the atmosphere consisted of mostly hydrogen and helium, and it would not be breathable without an EVA-suit. In the event of a breach, the remaining crew would have perished quickly. The shock of the impact, however, had been catastrophic. Of the eight who were aboard, two were instantly killed by being ripped out of their restraints and being thrown across the interior. One was Lucy Rasmussen, who suffered blunt force trauma to her head when she slammed into one of the bulkheads. Jonathan Ramos' fate was even worse, he hit his neck against a console and his spine was severed. His head and body appeared roughly intact, but they sat at odd angles to each other connected by the torn fleshly tube of his ruptured neck. It had taken minutes for him to die, screaming while they had tried to do something, but none of them were medical officers.

Afterwards, it took a while for the rest of the crew to even be in a position to evaluate what had happened. Fang Zau, Loraine, and Haruko were completely unconscious. The rest had surveyed the damage. Yvette had help from Kalen Jinnai and Ere'Ket, and they slowly ambled around to find the dire news. Life support was intact and most of the supplies had made it too, but the most important component, the distress beacon, was a total loss.

It had been two days after they crashed. At this point the dead had been left outside in shallow icy graves. Yvette had ordered some brief expeditions outside the pod in the EVA-suits, but aside from some interesting mountains, barren icy caves, and vast frozen planes, there was little to be found. It did not seem as though anything could live here, nor was there anything much of use outside of the pod. This did not bode well for the survivors from the Harbinger, who in addition to being unable to contract anyone, appeared unable to gather many necessary resources. The worst had been yet to come, Yvette now knew for a fact, as the crew had not seen the most extreme conditions the unknown planet had to offer.

The temperature had continued to drop, it was - 280 degrees Celsius outside. Strange clouds had appeared to Yvette and Kalen Jinnai, the old CONN officer she had brought with her since he was the most physically able. Harsh winds threatened to pepper their suits with razor shards of ice. They had run into a deep icy cave for protection, and that was where they were stuck. Even the short-range comms they had salvaged were useless in those conditions, only allowing them to talk to each other through the suits. All she and Jinnai could do was wait and observe the weather. So, they sat on the cave floor and watched through their helmets as the winds whipped the landscape. The nearly horizontal razor hail was deafening. It was too much for words at first, just staring outside, observing in an awe. Much like that of early human life on Earth, as if they were cave-dwellers witnessing their first hurricane. Yet this silence gave way as they had remained trapped for hours. All there was to do was to talk amongst themselves or go crazy being stuck in such a situation.

The situation getting to her, Yvette broke the silence with an abrupt opening subject. A blunt question to the elderly Bajoran she shared the cave with, but one apropos to their current predicament. "Jinnai... are you afraid to die?"

Kalen Jinnai sat and thought for a bit, then said in his usual, stern and cold voice - distorted by the static of the comm. [No, the first step one must take as a warrior is to kill the fear of death. Even if the Prophets forget me, I know I lived an honourable life, and that I was strong. Death is just a part of our journey, and the proud end of a life of strife.] As a Bajoran, Kalen Jinnai did not at all seem to be swayed by the philosophical sticking points that plagued mankind since time immemorial. Chiefly the fixation on one's fate after death. Then again, like an orb experience, Yvette suspected it was a personal thing and not something a Bajoran talked about.

Yvette shifted into a cross legged position on the floor, arms folded around her waist in an uncharacteristic posture of vulnerability. "I- I just..." She began. "Ever since Lucy and Jonathan, I've been thinking more about it than I ever have. I don't know if I'm ready to be like them. I want to bear the children that Vasser will lead to victory, just like T'Rena showed us. Anything is more meaningful than being lost." She finished flatly, thinking about the dismal fate of the two dead's final and frozen resting place. Unknown corpses, rapidly being devoured by the layers of relentless frost, likely never to be found again.

[What they were is not here anymore,] Kalen Jinnai said in what probably qualified as conciliation for him, speaking of the dead. [Those shells are now meaningless. We are more than that, and were more than a mere legacy of dead flesh. All we can do now is to live as proudly as we can given our diminished circumstances.]

It seemed as though things were getting to him too, though for different reasons. The spirit of T'Rena's vision could only grant them so much courage.

[ Two Kilometres East | Escape Pod 09 | 2000 hrs. ]

Meanwhile back in the escape pod, the resident engineers, Ere'Ket and Haruko were trying desperately to make any use of the distress beacon. Though they had mended the short range comms, after two days of struggle, this seemed hopeless.

"It just won't work, we need parts we simply don't have. This is hopeless." Ere'Ket barked, quite unusually of him. It seemed even a Vulcan could succumb to frustration at times.

"Calm down, Ere'Ket." Said Haruko Kimara, whose eternal optimism was beginning only now to wear thin, not that she was about to show it. She was pouring over the schematics of the escape pod, and trying to figure out how much they could scrap without losing essential functions. She did so while twirling a lock of dark ahir between her fingers.

"Yes, be silent, Ere'Ket." Loraine Norton chimed in tersely. She was a science officer and was trying to figure out what kind of place they had landed themselves in using the scant readings she could gather with the busted sensors and rough field data from the crew's tricorders. Unlike Ere'Ket, she was irritated by their situation, but unfazed. So far, she had only established that they were likely on Nova Arctys, a small planet registered yet uncharted by the Federation because of its weather conditions.

"I wonder where Conway and Kalen are?" Fang Zau said to the room in general in a distant tone. He had just been sitting there all day, listless, and this was the first thing he had said in hours. He had taken a beating in the crash and was still sore and grieving the loss of Lucy, a close friend.

"I'm sure their fi--" Haruko began but was cut short by the sudden noise. A cacophony that was like rain striking a tin roof with a distinct metallic whine. Like some sort of cosmic artillery was raining down upon them.

[ Two Kilometres West | Inside the Cave ]

Back at the cave, Yvette and Jinnai witnessed the fantastic event first hand. First it was the relentless razor hail, then came insane methane thunderstorms, lights and sounds they had never witnessed before, forcing them deeper inside their shelter. As the storm reached its apex, what they could see outside the cave was a steady stream of brightly flashing objects, hitting the ground hard and fast. It was blinding and beautiful as it was terrifying. The answer to what was pouring from the sundered alien heavens came as one such missile bounced into the cave and buried itself next to Jinnai. He looked to Yvette, took out his tricorder and checked the readings. [Diamond.]

After a long while the diamond rain came to an end, the methane clouds and the lighting that were the forge for such a spectacular event moved on... and at least there was a clearing. Yvette and Jinnai left the cave in stunned silence in the sparkling landscape. The vista was breath-taking, only ruined by the chirping warnings of their EVA-suits. They were running out of air, so they had to make it back. Yet in her heart, Yvette harboured fear for what they might find.

"Come on," she said, heart beating in her ears, mimicking the sounds of her suit.

Soon, the distant sight of  to the diamond encrusted pod told them what had befallen the others.

Hitting hard enough to embed themselves in the hull, the onslaught had eventually ripped the pod open. Each step took Yvette and Jinnai closer to the carnage, and the details were made plain in the waning light of day. The others were all dead, reduced to minced meat around layers upon layers of sharp diamond projectiles. There was not even any way to tell the bodies apart. Moreover, all their equipment was destroyed, and the rations inedible, but since there was no way for Yvette and Jinnai to remove their suits any more without dying from asphyxiation, eating those rations had become impossible anyway.

Yvette sank to her knees in front of the glimmering remains of the pod, and whatever shred of hope was left in her drained out of her frame. Twilight fell, and with it, the the nocturnal storms would likely scythe them down. Given what had just happened during the day, the night might be the worst yet, and the only consolation was that their suits would run out of air well before then. Kalen Jinnai stood behind her, silent in his stoic acceptance, while their EVA-suits beeped in count-down towards the end.

"We search... for whatever we can find... then we take shelter again," she said quietly and unholstered her phaser, looking down at it. "If that's what it takes for someone to find us... we'll ignite the methane storm once it comes. Pray to your Prophets that it will work... for it will be our last chance."

OOC: In your upcoming post, Brutus, answer Doctor Maya and then move the hands of time forward a bit, and then, the conflagration will be spotted by Stark or someone of the NPCs. That's where we go from. Here are is the list of people who were in this pod, few as they remain:

Escape Pod 09

LT JG Yvette Conway           Operations Officer
PO2 Kalen Jinnai              CONN Officer
PO3 Fang                      CONN Officer
CWM Ere'Ket                   Engineering Officer
CWM Haruko Kimara             Engineering Officer
ENS Loraine Norton            Science Officer
PO2 Jonathan Ramos            Science Officer
PO3 Fang Zau                  Security Officer
CWM Lucy Rasmussen            Operations Officer

Reply #59
[  Lt Cmdr Natalie Stark | Bridge - USS Allegiant | 2000 hrs] Atten: all

Once the replacements Ens. Abner sent up had arrived, and once Ida was satisfied, Natalie caved to the need to take advantage of the the small luxury afforded her as mission commander. With orders to come get her if anything showed up,  the brunette left the ship in capable hands - both those that she'd brought with her in the form of Ida z'Wann and members of the recently rescued Harbinger crew. Natalie shambled back to the one place assured to grant privacy on the small vessel - the captains quarters, to get some much needed rest and be fresh.

Jien Ives didn't have to give her the access code; it would not be at all uncommon for the commanding officer of a ship to assign a crew to a mission on the Captains Yacht and keep their personal cabin off limits. Natalie didn't know if Ives was being nice, trying to booster her morale in herself by showing her a bit of favor, or if it had never crossed her CO's mind not to give the mission commander access, but Ives had, and Natalie was perfectly selfish enough to make use of the spartan room and its privacy with no guilt at all.

Well, almost no guilt. Certainly not enough to keep her from sleeping. and sleep she did. Surprisingly well, considering how touch and go things had been so far. She'd recorded a brief log entry into the ships computer (now that she had the privacy of the small cabin) and then slipped out of her uniform jacket and boots, leaving the rest on in case of an emergency.

But thankfully, none had arisen during the time she slept, and by the time that Dr. Maya returned to the bridge several hours later, Natalie had also come back onto duty. As well rested as one could be with approximately 5 hours of sleep, she'd relieved the others on the bridge that had held down the fort for the previous duty shift. She nodded to Ida, and glanced at the view-screen, looking at the reports on hand. They had a mapping of the local star field as well as multiple feed's for scanning results based on the search grind patter they had established prior. There was also a report waiting in the command chair (on a PADD) that went over in detail the scans taken during the previous hours.

She'd sat down, PADD in hand when Maya returned to the bridge and gave her report, followed shortly by Chief S'Iti herself.

"Thank you for the update Doctor. Excellent work over all, and we will have to keep an eye on Tsan  until we can get them back to the ship," she paused, digging out the name from her memory, and then, "Please pass that along to Nurse Hebert as well. And Chief S'iti, glad to see you up and about. The helm is yours, of course."

[ Approx 20 minutes later ]

It was the flare that the scanners picked up - the sudden burst of ignition in the atmosphere of one of the planets just within their current search grid. Natalie, buried deep in the reports from earlier, almost missed it, having glanced up at just the right moment. The little notification beep had nearly been lost in the background noise of the various and sundry consoles, the quite working of the four women manning the small ship's bridge.

"Computer, magnify scan results, sector 2275. Expand and extrapolate," she gave the order, watching as the view screen shifted accordingly. The scan results were magnified and she was able to look through it. "A methane explosion in the upper atmosphere of-" she leaned forward further to read the name of the planet off " EL734: Nova Arctys...?" A frown passed over her face, before she turned to address the diminutive Vulcan at the mission ops station.

"Dr Maya, take a look at our records for this planet - what do we know? Is what we're seeing something common?" Before she got a reply she also addressed helm, not missing a beat, "Chief, go ahead and lay in a course. We'll keep scanning on the way, but this is the first thing of notice that we've seen in," she checked her chronometer, "almost 7 hours."

OOC: I seem to be apologizing for delayed posts a lot lately. Hopefully that'll be changing now.

Reply #60
[ Maya | USS Allegiant | Bridge | 2000 hrs. ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

"Aye Commander," the little Vulcan replied with a respectful nod as she turned her attention to the data appearing on her console.  "We are currently passing above the northern hemisphere of planet EL734 Nova Arctys, a class C world with a mostly frozen atmosphere.  Volcanic activity in the southern atmosphere has caused a thaw temporarily creating a gaseous atmosphere in the south that is creating turbulent weather in the north.  To the north the atmosphere is solidifying into solid precipitation that would be deadly to witness from the surface.  Escape Pod Nine's beacon has stopped transmitting and although I'm still reading five combadges there are only two life signs.  They are in EVA suits, and they are armed.  I am detecting a discharge of hand phasers and the ignition of methane."

She looked up from her console to focus her large hazel eyes on Stark.  "They have lost the majority of their party and their psychological state is undetermined.  Should we try to contact them?" 

Reply #61
[ Aisha S'Iti | USS Allegiant | Bridge ]

And Chief S'iti, glad to see you up and about. The helm is yours, of course."

Aisha nodded, "Thank you Commander."  she said simply as she took her station aboard the ship's small bridge.

[ Approx 20 minutes later ]

"Chief, go ahead and lay in a course. We'll keep scanning on the way, but this is the first thing of notice that we've seen in almost 7 hours."

Aisha heard the order to engage on a course and didn't think twice as the large scout banked and knowing how close it was and how time has been critical on the last pickup.  KNowing it would be hours at high impulse but mere minutes engaged at warp.

Dropping from warp Aisha reoriented the ship and laid in a course to place the craft in a geosynchronous orbit near the epicenter of the now burning atmospheric disturbance.  Aisha began to dial in the atmospheric readings trying to have a better idea of the kind of situation they were up against and gasped.  At what she was seeing.  'Deadly is an understatement those are reading as shards of compressed ultra-heated carbon glass.  It's literally raining giant diamond knives down there.' she thought looking around at the Readouts seeing where the to life signs were coming from in relation to that particular part of the storm.  Near but not directly on top yet.

"Escape Pod Nine's beacon has stopped transmitting although I'm still reading five combadges but only two life signs.  They are in EVA suits, and they are armed. They have lost the majority of their party and their psychological state is undetermined.  Should we try to contact them?"

"Commander, ETA of that storm on the survivor's location is less than 5 minutes. The EVA suits on the harbinger have onboard com system's if we ignore the badges and attempt to lock onto the EVA suit com signal we can use the suits like com badges for purposes of a transporter lock.  My Recommendation is we remotely raise a forcefield around the Transporter pads and establish a solid com channel with both suits.  Once we have a solid lock with comms getting a transporter lock shouldn't be too hard and with the forcefield in place they won't be able to cause any damage to the transporter room in case they are currently psychologically unstable."

Reply #62
[ ThanIda zh'Wann | USS Allegiant | Bridge ] Attn: 1) Brutus, 2) Maya 3) Aisha S'Iti

Partaking in the sensor readings from her tactical station, Ida saw the same things the Vulcan and the Cardassian women saw, and she agreed with the latter's sentiment. There was no point entering atmosphere unless they wished to risk their shields and their hull to that storm. Far more advisable to beam any survivors up, and take precautions whilst doing so. She looked up from the readings and chimed in.

"On your word, I can raise a forcefield and go get a phaser rifle," she said to Lieutenant Commander Stark, "I will dissuade them to do anything unwise and have them part with their weapons before I lower the field. I urge precaution if we are to beam them up, since they are likely still afflicted by the Vulcan mind-meld. Trickery might have been successful on Aeron-2514, where we picked up Ensign Abner and the rest from Escape Pod 87, but now they will be aboard the Allegiant, and I urge that we do not take such chances again - not when we don't know what kind of condition they will be in."

Having given her advise to supplement the Cardassian's suggestion, she waited for the pinkskin to give her orders and to contact the two survivors down on Nova Arctys. Ida calibrated the settings on a forcefield that would be raised around the transporter pad in the meantime, hoping that Stark would see reason in disarming these Harbinger survivors right away. Subterfuge was all well and good, but not whilst gambling the lives aboard the Allegiant by letting armed people aboard. This time, however, Ida trusted the Cardassian to not stage a mutiny, her concern primarily about the weaponry of the survivors and what they might try to do.

She raised her eyes towards the pinkskin once her calibrations were complete, ready to act on orders given, but a glance was spared towards Aisha S'Iti - hoping she would reason the same way Ida did and not advocate dangerous deceit.

OOC: Suggested posting order and just some suggestions for a sequence-of-events, just for sake of efficiency:

1) Natalie Stark (gives orders, adding how Ida has raise the forcefield and leaves the bridge, and then makes a hail to the EVA suits. After the hail, she goes to join Ida in the transporter room or stays on the bridge), 2) Maya (beaming them up and then either going to the transporter room herself, her presence needed to remove T'Rena's touch 3) Aisha S'Iti (joining the rest in the transporter room too, putting the Allegiant on auto-pilot or something, alternatively staying on the bridge) 4) I write the survivors and Ida in the transporter room

Reply #63
[  Lt Cmdr Natalie Stark | Bridge - USS Allegiant | 2000 hrs] Atten: all

As much as it pained Natalie to need to take such precautions with people - with fellow Starfleet officers - whom had suffered so much, the brunette Lieutenant Commander understood all too well the absolute need to do so. A forcefield around the transporter pad would be the most efficient option they had. After all it was anyone's guess as to the state the remaining survivors would be in. Especially with what appeared to be the mother of all storms Natalie had ever bore witness to.

What kind of desperation drove someone to attempt to ignite the atmosphere of a planet as a call for help?

Trusting the advice of her officers, she nodded once, sharply. "Lets route the signal through the suits then. Aisha, put us in a parking orbit as best you can above our wayward...friends. Maya, lets get them on the comms and let them know the cavalry is here." She stood up and looked to Lt. zh'Wann, "Ida, prep the force field and then bring them up, I'll join you shortly.

She watched with pride as the women under her command executed her orders with precise skill and talent. It was hard not to smile, but the situation was grim enough that a smile - she felt anyways - would be out of place. Jien Ives wouldn't smile just now. Neither, she imagined, would Carrigan Trent. Emulating the two officers that she had to look to as role models, she kept her features calm, neutral.

When the Vulcan Doctor let her know the channel had been established, Natalie spared the woman a small nod of thanks and took a deep, calming breath. "To the survivors of the USS Harbinger," she started off. "My name is Natalie Stark, commanding USS Allegiant, sent from the USS Theurgy" She wasn't mincing any words this time, just straight and to the point.

"Suffice to say we saw your...beacon. We're here to get you off the planet. Our sensors show that you have approximately 3 minutes before the leading edge of the next storm washes over your location. Please stand by for transport," A pause, and then, "We're bringing you home."

She didn't wait for a response after that, she addressed the women in the bridge, "Beam them up, and then if you please, Doctor, your skills will likely be needed with Lt. zh'Wann and I in the transporter room." It would be a tight fit.

"Chief," she added as she began to leave, "Make sure the bridge is secure. Your call if you think your presence would help or hurt things," she trusted the Cardassian's opinion on the matter. And with that she left the bridge and joined Ida in the soon to be very full transporter room.

"Let's meet our latest guests, shall we?"

Reply #64
[ Maya | USS Allegiant | Bridge ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

"Let's route the signal through the suits then," Natalie Stark decided.  "Aisha, put us in a parking orbit as best you can above our wayward...friends. Maya, let's get them on the comms and let them know the cavalry is here." She stood up and looked to Lt. zh'Wann, "Ida, prep the force field and then bring them up, I'll join you shortly."

"Aye Ma'am," the little Vulcan replied as she complied with her orders.  "Hailing them now."  She was silent as Commander Stark informed the survivors of the rescue party's intentions before receiving another order from the CO. 

"Beam them up, and then if you please, Doctor, your skills will likely be needed with Lt. zh'Wann and in the transporter room,"  Stark instructed.

"Aye-aye Ma'am," Maya acknowledged as her long spidery digits danced across her panel.  The Comm/Ops screen vanished to be replaced with a transporter console.  "Locking on now.  Beaming them up," she added as the fingers of her right hand moved down along the three bars on her screen.  If memory served, there was a way to depower energy weapons held by subjects during transport, but she was ignorant of the procedure.  She was a physician, not a transporter operator, but there was still a precaution she could take until she knew the forcefield was up.  "Holding them in the buffer," she reported.  "We can complete transport at any time."

"Chief, make sure the bridge is secure. Your call if you think your presence would help or hurt things," Stark called over her shoulder as she and Maya left the bridge to join the Andorian in the transporter room.   When they arrived, zh'Wann was waiting for them.  "Let's meet our latest guests, shall we?" Stark suggested.

"Aye Ma'am," Maya replied as she operated the console.  "Releasing them from the buffer."

On the transporter pads, two humanoid silhouettes appeared in a shower of sparks before solidifying into two figures clad in environmental suits.

Reply #65
"I will dissuade them to do anything unwise and have them part with their weapons before I lower the field. I urge precaution if we are to beam them up, since they are likely still afflicted by the Vulcan mind-meld. Trickery might have been successful on Aeron-2514, where we picked up Ensign Abner and the rest from Escape Pod 87, but now they will be aboard the Allegiant, and I urge that we do not take such chances again - not when we don't know what kind of condition they will be in."

Aisha nodded in agreement, listening to the security officer.  She was right subterfuge could work in some cases but in this situation the more blunt methodology was for the best.  She for  moment wondered what her role would be aside from getting them in orbit and by the time the commander spoke again she had brought the ship to their orbital "park" and began watching the display as the survivors were securely brought aboard.

"Chief, make sure the bridge is secure. Your call if you think your presence would help or hurt things,"

"Yes M'aam," she said getting up from her seat and walking over towards the commander before they left the bridge. she said, "Bridge door will only open per your authorization Commander she said before walking over to the door andentering in a sequence of louckout codes enabling only the commander to override it as they left.

Once alone on the bridge she smiled softly and placed her right hand on the back of the captains chair and looked down at the seat.  She stared at it for a few brief moments contemplating the stuation, this was the first time she had been this near the big chair since the beginnings of the dominion war.  this moment was one she had waited on since she had been taken into custody from the bridge of her old raider, The Fantine. 

Smiling softly she stepped around the seat and sat down transferring the helm control to the chair controls and assigning the other arm to the multitude of sensors the ship had available.  Reaching out with the sensors and correcting their course to the ideal location orbiting the planet where their sensors transmissions would be masked the most while still getting the best reception she made sure to reach out with the ships sensor package in a final attempt to find any other pod beacons.  From the eerie silence it was more than clear that this would likely be the last pod they would recover.

Reply #66
[ ThanIda zh'Wann | USS Allegiant | Transporter Room ] Sugg. Posting Order: 1) Brutus 2) Doc M. 3) Auctor Lucan. IronFerrox, ad hoc.

The force field had been raised at Stark's command, and Ida was glad that S'Iti had seen reason in the precaution that she'd suggested. So, when the Pinkskin and the Vulcan arrived to the Allegiant's transporter room, Ida had gone to the armoury and armed herself with a Type III rifle. She stood with her shoulders squared and stretched her neck, preparing herself mentally for the situation at hand.

Turning her head, Ida followed Maya with her steely gaze as the Vulcan took position by the controls. Then Ida looked towards Stark, and she gestured towards a spot on the floor a bit further out to the side. "Over there, Lieutenant Commander. We shouldn't stand close together. Better to spread out and have them fire three times to take us all out... should they make the attempt."

The Vulcan completed the transport sequence next, and Ida was ready. She brought her rifle up to her shoulder and stood prepared to take swift aim, but she did not raise the muzzle of her weapon towards the two shimmering figures on the platform. With the force-field in place, the threat-level did not merit that direct protocol, yet she still stood with one side forward, legs slightly bent to lower her point of gravity, and the stock of her weapon remained firmly against her shoulder. She breathed as slowly as she could, ready to hold her breath if she had to take aim and open fire at short notice.

The figures that appeared behind the forcefield were indeed in full EVA suits, but the pristine white that were Starfleet issue had taken on a hellish appearance - as if they had emerged out of fire and brimstone. The glass of their visors were more black than transparent, and they both had phasers in their gloved hands. One of them was large, male in stature, and the other very likely a female.

"Surrender your phasers," said Ida, and her tone did not suggest any openings for negotiation. "Put them at the edge of the forcefield and back away to the wall, and keep your hands raised until told otherwise. You may, however, remove your helmets first - slowly - in case you are low on oxygen."

And that they did, the woman more quick about it than the larger survivor from Nova Arctys. They had likely been in their suits for some time, and the faces that appeared was that of a middle-aged ridge-nose and a pinkskin with dark hair and comely features. The woman was taking deep breaths, but the Bajoran seemed unfased by the ordeal they'd been through down on the planet. Yet more so, Ida recognised the man, and he clearly recognised her - the edge of a shadow passing over his face as he met Ida's eyes.

Him...

The Bajoran was one of those that had beaten Ida on the Harbinger. This was before she had been thrown into a holding cell and teamed up with Duv and Husker, but Ida had committed all her assailants' faces to memory. She had gotten through it with her modesty preserved, dissuading the group that had assaulted her from trying to get underneath her uniform, but the cowardly beating she suffered was remembered too often... and with distinct clarity.

The two were silent, cautious, moving far too slowly as far as Ida was concerned, but it appeared that they were going to do as they were told. The woman looked towards Stark, asking a question, but the man never looked away from Ida, and she did not avert her eyes for a moment either.

"Are you here on orders from Commodore Vasser and Captain T'Rena?" she asked quietly - cutting straight to the chase.

OOC: Remember that they have not stated their names or ranks yet, just so that we don't forget introductions. The introductions will actually lead perfectly into what I had in mind next... *grins* Brutus, you are next.

Reply #67
[  Lt Cmdr Natalie Stark | Transporter Room - USS Allegiant | 2000 hrs] Atten: all

"Over there, Lieutenant Commander. We shouldn't stand close together. Better to spread out and have them fire three times to take us all out... should they make the attempt."

With the solid advice of Ida zh'Wann still ringing in her ears, Natalie clasped her hands behind her back and squared her shoulders, placed far enough apart from the others in the transporter room to satisfy the Security officers sense of propriety and caution. Once again she pictured the cool, controlled features of Jien Ives and tried to emulate them as she waited for the wayward souls to materialize on the cramped transporter pad. It was something of an effort to keep from tapping the fingers of hand against the palm of the other, but she managed, somehow.

She imagined she would be something of a stark contrast - the pun not lost to her - when compared to Lt. zh'Wann, weapon in hand and ready to spring into action.

With the door to the bride secured to her authorization only, and Aisha S'iti manning the bridge, Natalie was able to push some of the worry aside. She had not had much direct, one on one interaction with the Cardassian but there was little doubt in her mind of the other woman's capabilities, nor where her heart was at. She'd certainly already made plenty of sacrifices during this mission, and Natalie intended to make sure that Cpt. Ives and Cmdr. Trent were made well aware of such in her mission report and debriefing.

Frankly, she had nothing but praise for all of those assigned to her command for this rescue mission. But praise would have to wait, as she watched the sparkling waves of light coalesce before her, and Ida tensing off to the side. Don't get ahead of yourself, Natalie. Focus on the task at hand first.

Letting the Andorian lead the initial contact between the survivors and the crew of the Allegiant, the brunette Lt. Cmdr allowed herself to observe both parties with what she hopped was detached , objective clarity. Oddly, Natalie was almost sure that there was a flicker of recognition from Ida as the two from the Harbinger did indeed remove their helmets - but it was hard for her to tell. She'd not yet mastered the art of reading the Andorian woman by the way her antenna swiveled, but there was something in her gaze, her stance....

The way the female survivor sucked down air drew Natalie's gaze back to their two would be refugees, and certainly seemed to justify the suspicion that both survivors were indeed low on oxygen. Her nose wrinkled ever so slightly as she smelled some of the stale air escaping the suits and mixing with the recycled, purified atmosphere of the Manta-class yacht.

"Are you here on orders from Commodore Vasser and Captain T'Rena?" The woman called out to Stark, and the Lt. Cmdr in the golden yellow uniform repressed the urge to frown.

Blunt it is she thought.

"As stated over the comm's, my name is Lt. Cmdr. Natalie Stark. I am in charge of this rescue operation," she stressed the word rescue, to remind the duo on the pad that they were alive thanks to her team. Continuing in what she prayed was a calm tone, she answered the question at hand, "Captain Ives made it abundantly clear when he ordered us out that we would not leave anyone behind, regardless of their allegiance one way or another."

They had their answer, and now Natalie wanted one of her own, "Who are you, exactly? Unfortunately I do not know all the crew members of the Harbinger by sight." Though I am sure that Ida could tell me the name of at least one of you...

OOC: Hopefully that gets the introductions started. I see no need for Natalie to tell these two the names of her people until she gets a little quid pro quo from their new friends.

Reply #68
[ Maya | USS Allegiant | Transporter Room ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

If Maya was pleasantly surprised when the two castaways followed Ida's instructions and placed their phasers on the floor, she didn't show it.  She had adopted the catlike expression of polite curiosity that her people were (in)famous for.  Currently her large hazel eyes were scanning the duo for any clues to their psychological and medical condition.  Although frightened and distrustful, they seemed rational, something that T'Rena's mental tampering had appeared to negate based off Maya's previous observations.  Would they remain so once they discovered that Captain Vasser and his cause were dead?  Maya's pressure point unarmed martial art style was useless against subjects wearing bulky environmental suits.  Should the duo decide to resist, Maya intended to step aside and let Stark and zh'Wann restrain them.  Only if they needed assistance would Maya intervene.

Reply #69
[ ThanIda zh'Wann | USS Allegiant | Transporter Room ] Sugg. Posting Order: 1) Brutus 2) Doc M. 3) Auctor Lucan. IronFerrox, ad hoc.

When Stark revealed that Captain Ives had sent her, it was as if the air left the woman. Ida saw how she looked between the three Ives Loyalists beyond the force field in disbelief, unable to give the realisation that Ives was still in command of the Theurgy any credit. The Bajoran, however, remained perfectly still, not looking away from Ida where she stood with her rifle. If he felt anything in regard to what Stark had said, it did not show. The only thing that moved was a slight fasciculation in the corner of his eye - a slight twitch that almost looked like a second heartbeat. Perhaps a disorder, perhaps a sign of stress. Either way, Ida did not mistake it for weakness.

At first, it seemed the woman hesitated about letting them know her name, not sure how to proceed, but eventually, she conceded. "I am Junior Lieutenant Yvette Conway," she said, and gestured to the big Bajoran next to her, "this is Petty Officer Kalen Jinnai. We were on the Harbinger, shadowing the Theurgy while the Calamity pursued it - the defence plan with the gravimetric mines underway."

When that name was mentioned - the name of the Bajoran - Ida almost stopped listening to the pinkskin female - eyes narrowed and antennae angled forth towards the ridge-nose. She knew that name, because she had been warned of him. Only now, she could match the face of her abuser to that name, and it was the same man that Ensign Slayton had warned her about - just when Ida was heading off on the mission.

...if you run into a Bajoran male who seems to be a little bit twitchy for the lack of a better word, use a heavy stun setting because that's Kalen Jinnai and he's stronger then he looks... Husker's words came back to her. She had no doubt about what she'd learned. She had felt the bite of Kalen's knuckles before. The forcefield between them, Ida told herself not to change the setting of her rifle just yet. It would seem hostile, and undermine the delicate situation at hand. She only wondered if she would have the time to do it before she might be required to stun the two survivors from the Harbinger. Dared she take the chance and wait? Still, her eyes were locked with the ride-nose, as if he also knew her thoughts...

"We had prisoners in the brig, and they escaped." Yvette continued, oblivious to the tension between her companion and the Andorian that faced them. "Security guards tried to apprehend the prisoners, but they failed. Next thing we know, the Harbinger was set to auto-destruct, and it could only have been Commander Trujillo that gave that order - not about to let our ship fall into your hands." She was referring to those loyal to Ives, and still, she did not seem to fully accept the fact that the Chameloid Captain had been reinstated. Kalen Jinnai said nothing, still staring at Ida - eye still twitching while Ida did not move a muscle.

"So, we abandoned ship - our escape pod taking us here," she finished, her hands still raised where she stood. "We are the only survivors from the pod... but what about Commodore Vasser? What about Captain T'Rena? What about her vision of the future, and the army we need to raise? Surely Ives must have seen reason. It is the only way to win this war against Starfleet and the Federation. You can't just ignore the reasoning behind it, that we need a tactical retreat... Ives just wants to kill us all by heading to a fully armed starbase with untold numbers of starships within it. We would be throwing our lives away at the hopes that our mere word on the ether would be enough. We would forfeit any chance of victory on a fool's errand, can't you see that? Please, you must heed Vasser! You must let T'Rena show you how we have no other recourse but to regroup..."

Yvette Conway spoke with great conviction, and even greater dismay about the situation. Kalen Jinnai, however, was still looking at Ida - as if he was a coiled spring about to leap at her. Ida, on her end, did not shift a muscle, debating whether or not she should change the setting on her rifle. She had no idea what the ridge-nose was thinking, but he was surely up to no good. Ida let Stark and Maya answer, for she could not loose focus - trying to foresee what the Bajoran was up to...

OOC: Some counter-arguments to fan the flames in this scene? Heh heh...

Reply #70
[  Lt Cmdr Natalie Stark | Transporter Room - USS Allegiant | 2000 hrs] Atten: all

Natalie would have to be blind to miss the tension in the duo behind the forcefield. And while her specialty was more machines then people, even she could tell that Ida was on edge. Given that Natalie deduced that Ida was one of the prisoners that had escaped, well, the brunette could understand why the Andorian Security Officer was more than a little on edge. For her part, Natalie took a slow breath through her nose to keep her own emotions calm. She uncrossed her arms, and clasped them behind her back, shifting the weight of her stance to favor her left foot a bit while she listened on, and resisted the urge to shake her head.

Clearly Lt. Conway is having a little trouble adjusting. Then again, they've been through Hell, never mind the fact that their side lost. Oh, and that she's been brainwashed. Can't forget that, Nat, she thought, with a bit of cheek in her own mental tone. Thoughts that were born out by what Yvette said next. It was quite a heart felt plea, and despite her best efforts, Natalie's expression must have let something out - pity perhaps, or the anger that left a knot in her stomach from when T'Rena had threatened to do unto her mind what she'd clearly done to Lt. Conway.

"Captain Vassar and Commander T'Rena are fortunately no longer in a position where they can enact their plan, Lieutenant," Natalie began, once again channeling what she hoped was a bit of Ives into her bearing. "Vassar's machinations, his desire to impregnate the crews of both ships died with him." Harsh, perhaps, but there was no pussyfooting around the issue, and Natalie couldn't quite keep the anger in check at what had almost happened to her, and her fellow crew members.

"I understand that, at the moment, you believe that was our best course of action, for the future," she continued, with more sympathy as she closed the distance between the two, no doubt to Ida's dismay. Natalie had faith in the field that crackled between the two refugees and herself. "But the longer we wait, the more the Federation falls into the hands of the enemy. The more minds that are eaten away, controlled," Just like T'Rena did to you Natalie almost said, but she bit the words off, clenching her jaw for a moment as her blue eyes bore into Yvette's. She then swept her gaze to the Bajoran, Kalen Jinnai. "Both you and Petty Officer Kalen have been through a horrible ordeal. Both with being stranded on the planet below, but also, with everything that had happened on the Harbinger" She sighed softly and straightened her shoulders a bit, taking a step back.

"Shortly, you'll understand. And for whats been done to you, I am truly sorry. I can only promise that you are safe now, and very soon, you'll be able to rejoin the remaining survivors. Perhaps they can help put you at ease," The ones that aren't traumatized themselves, at least. Glancing at Ida, she then added, "Right now, I think its best that we let Dr. Maya take a look at you. I can only imagine that the conditions below have left you in serious need of a medical exam - at the very least, you need rest, water, and food. All of which we can provide in the med bay. Please take a step back, towards the wall. Dr Maya, if you would be so kind, please lower the force field," again, another look to Ida - nothing need be said of course. She trusted the Andorian to watch her back. The darting eyes were mostly for the two on the transporter pad to keep in mind that they were under the muzzle of a phaser.

"Once I take care of those," she gestured down to the weapons the duo had placed on the deck, "then we'll get you over  to medical, and on the road to recovery."

That last order Natalie gave as she moved to crouch down and recover the weapons, once the diminutive doctor was ready.

Reply #71
[ ThanIda zh'Wann | USS Allegiant | Transporter Room ] Sugg. Posting Order: 1) Doc M. 2) Brutus 3) Auctor Lucan. IronFerrox, ad hoc.

Stark had given her answer, offering the survivors from the Harbinger their helping hand, and carefully neglecting to mention what the Vulcan was about to do to them. When the Chief of Operations stepped forth, Ida's eyes darted sideways to her for a moment, and she shifted her weight to take anew position. Doctor Maya was given the order to lower the field, and perhaps it was her focus upon the Kalen Jinnai that belayed her step, but the field came down much too quick. Ida had not had the chance to move to the side. "No!"

Stark was right in her sights, and Kalen Jinnai saw it - leaping much quicker than a man his size and age should. He dove for the weapons that Stark were reaching for, which put his bulk behind Stark's figure. Ida was already moving, grabbing for the back of Natalie's uniform and tearing her out of the way. With the same step, she twisted her hip and launched a sideways kick across the surface of the raised transporter pad - sweeping the two hand phasers away from Kalen's fingers.

The weapons clattered off into the far corner of the room, but the noise was unheard - the roar of the greying Bajoran overriding it. The guttural noise rose as he had sized Ida's calf, and he unbalanced her - yanking her up on the transporter pad. Ida was completely disoriented, aim wide as she rolled sideways over the glass-like surface. Once she got her bearings, the first thing she saw was Kalen bearing down on her, like a demon sprung from the flames that had scorched his EVA-suit, and he was reaching for her rifle. She tried to discharge her weapon before he got to her, but the iron grip of his calloused fingers seized it, and he sought to tear it out of her hands. The blast hit the ceiling with a rain of sparks over the crowded transporter room.

Baring her teeth, Ida was not about to let go. The parasite-head Sonja Acreth had tried to remove a rifle from her grip down on Theta Eridani IV, and she had refused to let go. She was not about to let some bloody ridge-nose get the better of her. She snarled in defiance and kicked into the man's massive frame, tried to strike her elbow across his teeth, but the struggle continued still - the Bajoran barely flinching with his death-grip on the weapon.

In her peripheral vision, she saw how Yvette Conway had not hesitated about going for the phasers that Ida had kicked aside - pouncing for the weapons before Maya or Stark got in her way. Stark might still be struggling to get back on her feet, but perhaps the Vulcan had the presence of mind to act... Otherwise, the survivors might end up the only ones with access to weapons aboard - setting the terms on the Allegiant.

Kalen Jinnai was tossing her around with his grip on the rifle, but still - despite the strikes he lay across her face - she did not let go. She would not let go. Tasting blood, she continued to wrestle with the grey-haired beast - dealing him whatever strikes she could land without surrendering her weapon.

Reply #72
[ Maya | USS Allegiant | Transporter Room ]  Attention: Stark, Ida & S'Iti.

'Then all Hell broke loose.'  It was an idiom describing chaos that had been in Terran parlance for centuries.  Maya had heard the expression when she had served aboard the NX class USS Discovery over two centuries ago and she had heard it used during conversations with Terrans in the current century.  It seemed a fitting description to what happened in the transporter room after she let down the force field.

Natalie Stark had given the order for the force field to be deactivated.  Maya had acknowledged the order and complied.  And then the Bajorian, the one identified as Petty Officer 2nd class Kalen Jinnai lunged forward with the speed of a le-matya.  Commander Stark was in Lieutenant zh'Wann's line of fire; the Andorian didn't have a clear shot.  Zh'Wann was forced to pull Stark out of the way and kick the phaser pistols out of the belligerent Bajorian's reach.  Petty Officer Kalen roared like a sehlat and caught ThanIda's leg, pulling her onto the transporter pad so he could try to wrest the phaser rifle out of her hands. 

There was no point attempting to send the newcomers back into the buffer.  Immediately after zh'Wann and Kalen began their struggle over the phaser rifle, it discharged a glowing beam of energized nadion particles into the crystalline disks above the transporter pads, damaging the molecular imaging scanners and primary energizing coils installed in the ceiling.  Using the transporter was no longer an option.

As Maya's mesiofrontal cortex reacted to the excitement, the little Vulcan went into her people's version of a Terran's "fight or flight" reflex, in her case, a bizarre combination of tachypsychia, hyperawareness, and near instantaneous analysis. Faster than human thought, Maya's neurologically advanced Vulcan brain scanned the belligerents in the room for weaknesses: 

'Petty Officer 2nd class Kalen Jinnai, species: Bajoran.  Approximate Height: 2 m, Approximate Weight: 51.3 kg, Biological Age:  over fifty standard years.  Handedness:  left-handed.   Diagnosis:  Strength and speed greater than expected of his species and age, possible genetic, biomechanical, or pharmaceutical augmentation.  Age far greater than average age of enlisted ratings of petty officer rank indicating unique personal history or possible imposture.  EV suit protects nerve clusters and interferes with observations, precluding analysis.  Summary prognosis:  Too many unknowns, opponent's physical power combined with protection conveyed by environmental suit renders hand to hand combat with opponent foolhardy.  Chance of restraining opponent:  Unlikely.'

After ThanIda had kicked the duo's type 2 'phaser pistols' out of Kalen's reach Lieutenant Conway only hesitated for a split second before diving for them.

'Lieutenant (junior grade) Yvette Conway, species: Terran.  Height: 1.6 m, Weight: 59 kg, Biological Age:  mid-twenties.  Handedness:  right-handed.  Diagnosis: Despite obfuscation caused by EV suit, displays signs of fatigue and early stages of dehydration.  Movements uncoordinated yet capable, threat potential exponential if in possession of a phaser.  My advantage:  Her fatigue and emotional disorientation.  Her advantage:  Her EV suit protects her nerve clusters from attack and lessens the impact of blunt force trauma.  Summary prognosis:  Capable of sprints rather than marathons, vulnerable to being physically overpowered, even with nerve clusters protected.'

With the agility of a cat, the little Vulcan grasped the transporter console and rolled over it like an Olympic gymnast, launching herself at Conway to land on her back.  If Maya's calculations were correct, the human lieutenant would be pinned to the floor long enough for Maya or Stark to wrest the phasers away.  If Maya was wrong, a surge of adrenaline would allow Conway to shrug the petite Vulcan's aside like the featherweight she was.  Maya's short slender form wasn't an asset when it came to overbearing.

Reply #73

The first warning the brunette had was Ida's sharp cry of, "No!" as the field came down. Natalie was confused, she'd ordered the field down, and was unsure of what was wrong. She was reaching forward, only to have her hand pushed aside by Kalen, as he too went for the phaser's. Anger welled up in Natalie's chest and she opened her mouth to dress him down, preparing to do something - anything - when suddenly she found herself hauled backwards.

"Whhaaa-opmh!!" Air was knocked out of her stomach as she crashed back across the small transporter room, sliding into the console with a loud crack and a sharp cry as pain rode from her tailbone up her spine. Stars flashed for a moment as Natalie shook her head and tried to get her bearings. She could see blue flesh entwined with the darker tones of the Bajoran and it clicked that Ida had thrown the Chief of Operations out of the immediate threat area.  Sparks were flying all over the room from above as the pulse of orange shattered conduits in the ceiling, causing Natalie to raise her hands above her head to protect herself from the spray.

She felt a breeze blow over her head, and looking up, her blue eyes went wide as Dr. Maya lept over the console to come crashing down on Lt. Conway. It left Natalie slightly stunned, watching the diminutive Vulcan soar in like a precisely targeted missile, but sure enough, she was on target, and the two women rolled with the impact. It shook Natalie out of her stupor and she was up on her feet, slightly shaken but otherwise fine.

Yvette was reaching for the phaser again, despite the weight on her back. Perhaps the EVA Suit had helped protect her during the impact, or perhaps it was adrenaline but it was clear that even with Maya's throughouthly impressive efforts the former Harbinger Lieutenant was determined to get a weapon. Natalie was having absolutely none of that, and she strode over fast, ducking out of the way of Ida' and the Bajoran PO's struggles to first kick at the hand reaching for the weapon, and then, as she'd been taught, spinning around and bringing her other foot down towards the woman's head with a crushing heel kick.

It jarred her up her leg, and Natalie danced back, but kept her footing. While she hadn't had many lessons yet, that was one that seemed to stick, and she idly wondered if Captain Ives would be proud that at least some of her training was being put to use. Not waiting to see if she'd knocked the other woman under Maya out or not, she bent and swept up one of the phaser's into her hand, looking over towards where the Andorian and Bajoran struggled...

OOC: let me know if this works or if I missed something.

Reply #74
[ Aisha S'Iti | Bridge - USS Allegiant | 2000 hrs] Atten: all

An unexpected alarm brought the Cardassian out of her focused search for distress signals.  She looked down at the ship monitoring display and gasped seeing the alert.  Weapons fire in the transporter room.  looking up at the window which doubled as their viewscreen she quickly commanded the computer.  "Viewscreen give me the transporter room security feed."  She said quickly watching the situation unfold and trying to reach a decision on how to respond to the problem.  Eyeing the officers, one face of the two was quite familiar.  Kalen Jinnai, though she didn't know him well, she knew he was CONN which no matter how things were sliced gave her one distinct advantage.  She had been his superior officer.  The chief of his department who Vasser had seen fit to deem essentially the CONN chief of his prospective fleet. 

Thinking things through, she made another realization.  On this ship she was the highest ranking member of the harbinger crew having been given Lieutenant level access due to her place on the senior staff.  This afforded her a unique luxury.  Her voice could potentially override some harbinger equipment.  More importantly though there was a danger in that room.  Not just of the Vasser loyalists escaping the room with the only weapons accessible on board but both they and members of the Theurgy crew were in danger of physical harm.  Seeing the possibilities she knew she had one duty.  There would be no more casualties from the war that Vasser started.  Activating internal controls she knew the biggest danger onboard were the phasers. 

"Computer activate an anti-nadion dampening field in the transporter room." she said knowing once the dampening field activated every phaser in that room would be rendered useless.  More than that she knew when the dampening field activated there would be an announcement by the ships computer within the transporter room alerting everyone within of how useless phasers now would be.  This would mean that Stark Maya and Ida would be weaponless as well, but more importantly a stray shot wouldn't injure anyone and the situation would now be melee combat of a bajoran and a human against a Vulcan expert on pressure points and muscle relaxation, a human who likely had taken a few lessons from their captain, a skilled martial artist himself, and an Andorian with a previous life in her peoples own military.  In the realm of hand to hand combat the odds and skills of the Theurgy personnel more than made up for whatever protection the eva suits gave.  More importantly, if necessary there were a few others Siti trusted would serve as reinforcements to back up Stark and her crew if needed.

Speaking into the PA system she sent a hail to one of them.  "Ensign Abner please report to the bridge entrance security checkpoint."  If the uselessness of phasers didn't even the playing field she had two other cards she could possibly play and Abner was the other half of her second available plan.

Before she could put any plans into action there was one other thing she knew had to be done.  "Computer, activate the "Moonlight Acquisition" protocol and give me manual input for the course and speed, Authoriation S'iti-Omega-4-6-Delta-5."

Quickly Aisha made her way to the piloting console and began to input the necessary details, plotting the quickest course while maintaining the necessary stealth to remain undetected but getting them back home as soon as possible.  On its own the ship lowered power emissions and disabled communication systems having by now sent the Theurgy an encoded signal informing them of the situation. Then the ship activated maximum jamming systems on-board making them all but physically cloaked.  Returning to the captain's chair she spoke again.  Computer, lock systems and Bridge entrance, override is only to be accessible to the following personnel, Aisha Siti, Commander stark, Doctor Maya, Security officer Ida, and Command level personnel of USS Theurgy." She paused a moment as the non-necessary systems powered down before speaking up one last time from the chair.  Computer, Access CONN desk control information.  Engage" 

The ship now entering warp she made her way over to the door she pushed in the exit sequence and the door opened.  She stepped out to meet with Ensign Abner who she had asked to come moments before.

Simple Audio Video Embedder