Skip to main content
Topic: Award Poll: Blaze of Glory Award 2019 (Read 3884 times) previous topic - next topic

Award Poll: Blaze of Glory Award 2019

Often we see the completion of a character's life; yet this character's story has a beginning, a middle, and an ending. The writer not only willingly self-terminated their character, but did so in a dramatic and/or endearing way. The ending must be in "a blaze of glory" with superior epic or poetic quality.

The poll will run for 3 days, in which those who cast their vote should take a few minutes to read the linked scenes first. The nominee(s) who get the most votes will receive the Blaze of Glory Award. If you are a Nominee, you may not vote on yourself.

Here are the nominations, with more information on the nominated writers & threads, which has been complemented by private nominations of additional writers in nominated threads:

NOMINATION 01: FIFE

Forum Name of Nominee: @Fife
Reason for Nomination: Not only did he write a beautiful character, but he also did a fantastic death scene.
Motivation & Links:
1) Eboh gets infested by the Borg nanobots
2) Eboh's passing
As per the words of the nominator: "I would like to nominate @Fife for Eboh's lifeline.  Not only did he write a beautiful character, but he also did a fantastic death scene.  There was so much involved.  Being infected by the Borg nanobots, being able to push through it for the mission.  But, what really got me was the fact that he was able to write the struggle; internally and externally, so beautifully.  There was something so real about the whole situation. 

I loved the way that it really resonated with the reader, allowing you to be there in person and see the whole situation unfold.  He did the writing so beautifully I think he truly deserves to be part of the world.  Fife continues to entertain me with his writing and the way that he writes the character that is a full person.  A range of emotions, the beauty of how far they can push themselves, and the way that they change from moment to moment.  He's adept at writing three dimensional characters and I quite enjoy the fact that I have the privilege of reading his posting and characters.  I was sad to lose Eboh, because as the only other El-Aurian, it was a special bond for him and Zyrao. 

But, the writing called for sacrifice and Fife was willing to make it.  Great writing, great character, great death."

NOMINATION 02: CH'XINYA

Forum Name of Nominee: @chXinya
Reason for Nomination: The death and final moments of Wen Cinn
Motivation & Links:
1) Vantage Points (Prophet Vision during Martok battle)
2) 50 Lashes (Last time with Rez)
3) The Battle of the Apertures (Final Prophet Vision post, w. Sisko)
4) Storm Glass (Post with shuttle departure)
5) Battle of the Apertures (Omega Device Detonation)
As per the words of the nominator: "I believe that Wenn's death is the only one that counts as "a blaze of glory" in this round, and it is also practically symbolic: the man brought back from the dead performs the action for which he has been spared, leaving everything behind in order to do what the Prophets have designated for him. BAM an ideal ending for a Bajoran."

As a prevalent character in the story, and the original Chief of Security on the Theurgy, Wenn Cinn was written by not just ch'Xinya, but three writers before him. ch'Xinya was the one who completed the character's story arc, and this in a true blaze of glory, in which he made the ultimate sacrifice not just to save billions of lives, but also the crew of the Theurgy. During the end of Episode 05, he was also the Acting Captain of the ship, and as a true Commanding Officer, he did not just bring the ship and crew where it needed to be. With the Theurgy under his command, he executed a plan to fight the Borg Queen, without revealing what the Prophets had said to him: That he had to leave the Theurgy to save it. Only in the last moments of the battle did he understand what it meant: To take the Omega Device off the Theurgy and detonate it. Thus, the Prophets will was done, and Bajor was saved.

Cinn's last moments are glorious and must be acknowledged, not so much his death itself but the escalation and last steps that led him there, which can be found in the links above.

Thank you in advance for your voting in this award category!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Simple Audio Video Embedder