Star Trek: Theurgy

Out-of-Character Message Boards => Main OOC Board => Topic started by: Auctor Lucan on April 11, 2018, 11:50:20 AM

Title: Plot Discussion | EP05 P2 CH02 Vantage Points
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 11, 2018, 11:50:20 AM
PLOT DISCUSSION FOR EPISODE 05, PART 2, CHAPTER 02: VANTAGE POINTS

This Chapter features the hour when the USS Niger and the Sword will cross paths, plus all Supplemental Threads that are started.

Just like in the interregnum, Supplemental one-on-one threads are started at your leisure! Supplemental threads should be named Chapter 04: Supplemental [Day XX|YYYY hrs.] Insert Title, and can extend as far back as right after the battle with the Versant and all the way up to 2100 hrs on Day 05, where the second Rendevouz will be missed due to a hostile threat to the Sword.

These are the main tasks to solve, your Mission Objectives in this Chapter:

MISSION OBJECTIVES IN CHAPTER 04:

Primary Objectives:
- The USS Niger is to dock with the Sword, landing inside the Fighter Assault Bay (where Tacitcal CONN can "welcome" them aboard)
- Have Ranaan Ducote and the crew of the Niger briefed about the Theurgy's mission and the Savi
- Have Wenn Cinn & Tovarek etc. briefed about the Borg threat to the Federation
- Conduct "An Interview with a Parasite" in the Brig, learning what options and opportunities there are. Multiple outcomes.
- Make a new Squadron Org Chart for the remaining Lone Wolves.
- Before the third Rendevouz opportunity with the other Vectors, find where the Borg came from
- A hostile force will show up and make it so that the Sword miss the second Rendevouz
- Either the Sword makes it to the third Rendevouz, or it doesn't.

Secondary Obectives:
- Bonding between the Endeavour survivors and the crew of the Sword, or any one-on-one scenes for that matter
- Study of Savi remains left aboard after the battle, learning to know the enemy
- Implementing new ideas or tech for fighting the Borg and/or the Savi

New objectives may be added depending on development.

Known staff on the Sword and Niger both can be seen in the new thread as well as the Main OOC board. :)

Battle Bridge & Closest Deck Interior Blueprint: [Show/Hide]
Here are some random ideas that have come up in the process!
Sithick might learn about Doctor Lahkesis Saugn, and what Nicander did.

THIS THREAD IS NOW OPEN FOR ADDED IDEAS AND QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE!
Title: Re: Plot Discussion | EP05 CH04 Charades
Post by: Jm Von Cat on April 11, 2018, 07:05:22 PM
Sithick might learn about Doctor Lahkesis Saugn, and what Nicander did.
In regards to this little bit here, Varder could be the one to inform him. Potentially in the main sickbay whilst he is being treated for his newly cut up arm Sithick might end up there for some reason, either some form or repair work (there was a lot of phaser fire in the main sickbay) or he may have even been injured slightly himself whist the sword was escaping.

Actually, as I think about it if we wanted it should potentially be possible to have something with the LMH also come into play with that?

First thoughts and all that. Lemme know what people think.
uhh, probably an @Masorin
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 11, 2018, 10:40:30 PM
I like how you are thinking here, tying loose ends together. @TrexelCat and @Masorin , how do you like writing a thread with @Jm Von Cat in Main Sickbay, set sometime late on Day 03 or early on Day 04, where things are quite hectic and there might still be Savi fighters in pursuit of the ship?

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Masorin on April 11, 2018, 10:55:17 PM
I always like the idea of Sithick pulling double duty in engineering and tactical con. I'd love to go over any threat where he learns about his lettuce leaf, so I'm up for this idea.

Also I'd like to know if Sithick can have a moment with our mistress at arms if she is on the sword. Sithick had experience with the savi weapons both being fired upon, and even using them against the enemy. I'd love to talk about how they can work with the few they got from the the Savi bodies, and what we could potentially reverse engineer with these new guns.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 11, 2018, 11:01:50 PM
I like this idea! Problem is that the Mistress at Arms is on the Helmet, not on the Sword, where Sithick is. Perhaps some other Engineering bloke NPC? Not ideal... Isn’t there someone else on the Sword with the right kind of skillset for this?

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: CanadianVet on April 12, 2018, 04:09:43 AM
With regards to the Savi guns, Bremmer was Resolve's mistress at arms. She's qualified to look 'em over, if need be.  And while she isn't an engineer and all that, she certainly ought to be able to at least make them more ergonomically friendly for non-Savi
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 12, 2018, 04:26:13 PM
Good call!

In fact, we might need 3D models of graviton weaponry, be it the Savi or Asurian versions.

With regards to the Savi guns, Bremmer was Resolve's mistress at arms. She's qualified to look 'em over, if need be.  And while she isn't an engineer and all that, she certainly ought to be able to at least make them more ergonomically friendly for non-Savi
Post by: patches on April 18, 2018, 01:09:04 AM
@TrexelCat , @Doc M. , @Nolan

Y'all are the medical peeps on V2. Which one of you wants to be the one to formally awake Kino Taer?
Post by: Doc M. on April 18, 2018, 07:43:07 AM

Y'all are the medical peeps on V2. Which one of you wants to be the one to formally awake Kino Taer?

I will.  I like to have my characters be "linking characters" who provide continuity but aren't necessarily the focus of a particular scene.  Speaking of which:

I like how you are thinking here, tying loose ends together. @TrexelCat and @Masorin , how do you like writing a thread with @Jm Von Cat in Main Sickbay, set sometime late on Day 03 or early on Day 04, where things are quite hectic and there might still be Savi fighters in pursuit of the ship?

Best,

Auctor Lucan

It's likely Maya would be present during that scene, even if her only role is instruct Eve to deal with those characters and then leave to attend other patients.

Of course, we shouldn't gloss over the Doctor Nicander problem.  I'd like to have Maya volunteer for dealing with that troublesome patient, for to my knowledge she is the only one aboard who has mind touched one of the parasites and lived to tell the tale and has the best chance to have some idea of what she is dealing with.
Post by: patches on April 18, 2018, 07:49:13 PM

I will.  I like to have my characters be "linking characters" who provide continuity but aren't necessarily the focus of a particular scene.
Cool beans! Do you want to make the thread or should I?
Post by: Doc M. on April 19, 2018, 05:22:08 AM

I will.  I like to have my characters be "linking characters" who provide continuity but aren't necessarily the focus of a particular scene.
Cool beans! Do you want to make the thread or should I?

Sounds like a plan.  Since we want to get your new character Kino Taer, into the action as quickly as possible, let's wave her wake up right after the events of Chapter 01: Supplemental | Untruth No More so your character will have plenty of time go through physical therapy (offstage) and return to duty in time to participate in Chapter Four. 

I might as well start us off:  Maya will be placing Amelya Rez in a bed in the recovery ward when Kino Taer wakes up and starts asking questions. 

Any further discussion on Kino's first scene should probably be continued by PM but I posted my response on this thread because so many people's characters were in the vicinity that I thought we should alert them in case they want to make one or two posts in that thread for continuity's sake.  (I also posted my reply here in case Auctor Lucan felt that we should move the scene forward a few hours... or days...)  I'd like to hear from Nolan before we begin.
Post by: Triage on April 19, 2018, 06:59:09 PM
It might be irrelevant, but perhaps Eliska and Kino spent enough time with or around Sinead to have picked up a few tricks she's shown. I've demonstrated this through A'vura Zeshryr, who learnt a few jury-rigging tricks from Sinead. Given that Eliska and Sinead spent time together a lot on the Resolve, perhaps Eliska might have learnt one-or-two engineering know-hows to figure out the weapon a little faster? Just an idea you could play with if you liked. :)

Oh, and guys? It might be useful, or it might be more useless than Silim Parnak's experimental bat, but before she left the battle, Meony had busied herself with taking a huge amount of scans of the Savi fightercrafts, and their shields, and the Versant, as well as recordings and scans of the damaged Vectors. All of them. So perhaps Thomas Ravon or the others in command could take her Valkyrie's logs for study, maybe we can identify the strengths or learn the frequency that the Bandit's shields are running on. It won't give us much of an edge in terms of numbers, but we'd be able to level the playing field in terms of shield strength and weapons damage.
Post by: Multificionado on April 24, 2018, 12:17:40 AM
Well, with the Borg impending, I think I can picture that a scouting mission finds the end of a transwarp corridor created from an array by the Borg. Maybe the end of a new transwarp hub. Something of an edge-of-your-seat idea.

I would like the idea that the Sword barely makes it to the Third Rendezvous, and that the Theurgy would eventually be faced with having the task force chasing them catch them at one end, and the Borg popping up in surprise at the other end. I can imagine a surprise jump scare of a Borg Cube...scratch that, make that a Tactical Cube, appearing out of nowhere.
Post by: Multificionado on April 24, 2018, 01:47:09 AM
With the reorganization of the Squadron, it would fit that the newcomers would be integrated into the original Lone Wolves, with "Razor" Ravon leading the squadron with Rawley as his second-in-command. In addition, considering Rawley's solitary nature and need for friends, it could especially fit for her and one of the newcomers, say, Meony, to become friends.
Post by: CanadianVet on April 24, 2018, 02:40:47 AM
Well, with the Borg impending, I think I can picture that a scouting mission finds the end of a transwarp corridor created from an array by the Borg. Maybe the end of a new transwarp hub. Something of an edge-of-your-seat idea.

I would like the idea that the Sword barely makes it to the Third Rendezvous, and that the Theurgy would eventually be faced with having the task force chasing them catch them at one end, and the Borg popping up in surprise at the other end. I can imagine a surprise jump scare of a Borg Cube...scratch that, make that a Tactical Cube, appearing out of nowhere.

I like that idea.  Lead TF Archeron right into the lap of a Borg cube... One stone, 14 birds...
Post by: Multificionado on April 24, 2018, 03:57:22 AM
Stone? @CanadianVet With the Borg, the stone's a boulder. A very resilient boulder, if not a mountain. :) But at least it would keep the lot busy while Theurgy escapes from the fire following out of the frying pan. Or maybe Theurgy would duck back in at the last minute, the Lone Wolves would pull a Death Star Trench assault on the cube, Theurgy saves the day.
Post by: CanadianVet on April 24, 2018, 04:23:00 AM
Or... Theurgy and her assets break contact... and let the Borg and TFA merrily kill each other?
Post by: patches on April 24, 2018, 04:49:39 AM
I was thinking more Borg vs Versant vs TF Archeron and Theurgy in the middle of it all, just trying to get her kidnapped crew back and bug out.
Post by: Nolan on April 24, 2018, 09:59:39 AM
I'm inclined to follow @patches on this one. It was rather clear that the Theurgy alone would not stand a chance against the Versant. Even if we manage to lure TFA there I think the odds might be a bit lighter, though significantly harder since we'll have two forces trying to wipe us out. The Borg however are a wild card, they don't care about Theurgy, though I imagine them to be very interested in the Versant and vice versa.

Which makes me wonder, are we okay with the loss of "innocent" lives aboard TFA? I mean, they're just following orders of the parasitical overlords? Can we really just get them slaughtered by either the Borg or Versant? Headlines could imply we lured them in a trap making us look even more evil.
Post by: Multificionado on April 24, 2018, 02:44:22 PM
@patches What an excellent idea! Theurgy rescuing her crew amidst a three-way tussle between the Borg, TFA and the Versant fits; an action sequence with an edge, in which one wouldn't know if the Theurgy would get out of it okay. And if the TFA are zealously following orders from the parasites in Starfleet, then it would be a lesson of what happens if one messes with the Theurgy. Also, I can imagine, should the Borg vessel be crippled in the onslaught, Theurgy and the Lone Wolves would finish them off, with Rawley making the critical blow: I can imagine her shouting "Assimilate this!" before she nukes them. :) A little nod to Worf. :)
Post by: steelphoenix on April 24, 2018, 03:08:24 PM
Keep in mind, the Endeavour and Theurgy crew members still held aboard the Savi ship need to be rescued; and goodness knows what's left of the Cayuga.  Rogue though the members of the Theurgy may be, they are still (mostly) Starfleet officers so there is no way they could willingly leave a conflict where TFA is threatened by the Savi and the Borg and I don't see TFA leaving with either of those two forces in their territory even if their primary goal is to capture the Theurgy.

Ultimately it puts Theurgy in the worst possible scenario... repairing, reintegrating, rescuing and retreating, all at once.  If the Borg come out on top, assimilation time (and just imagine if they assimilate a Savi...); if the Versant comes out on top, given how close they are to wanting to recycle those of us they have NOW, imagine after a fight with a cube?  Anyone they get at that point will recycled.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 24, 2018, 03:24:16 PM
Yeah, all of these ideas are awesome, but I would like to emphasise something that both Nolan and Steelphoenix touches upon here.

These are the Borg, inside Federation space. The possible destruction of Task Force Archeron - which is not a desirable purpose to strive for since the 99,99 % majority of the officers on all those starships are innocent and misled - pales in comparison to the destruction of all Federation worlds. And you all think that the rescue of the people on the Versant is important?

Look at the bigger picture OOC, but IC, focus on the motivations of your individual characters. The missing piece, I think, is the understanding of the ramifications of Borg being where they are, and how that might be a bigger issue than we're currently giving credit to.

In short, any dutiful Starfleet officer would abandon the people on the Versant to address a threat this big to the Federation. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Post by: Multificionado on April 24, 2018, 05:24:42 PM
Okay. Sorry about that.

I can see where things would be going; with the Theurgy crew's desperation of getting the truth out and Starfleet on their tail, the last thing they needed was the Borg. I can imagine everybody's reaction. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, in a way.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 24, 2018, 05:34:03 PM
Okay. Sorry about that.

No need to apologise,  lol. I was merely pointing out something not-so-obvious. :)

It is really important that the loss of the crew on the Versant is keenly felt and that in their hearts they want to go rescue them primarily.

But logic, the brain, would suggest that either the Theurgy's mission or the Borg threat is more important. It's a family or duty dilemma. Duty bding saving millions of lives from the Borg or the Parasites.

A great example: Would Ranaan Ducote still make the Borg his priority if he knew Blue For an was on the Versant @Top Hat ? :)

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Triage on April 24, 2018, 05:52:22 PM
With the reorganization of the Squadron, it would fit that the newcomers would be integrated into the original Lone Wolves, with "Razor" Ravon leading the squadron with Rawley as his second-in-command. In addition, considering Rawley's solitary nature and need for friends, it could especially fit for her and one of the newcomers, say, Meony, to become friends.
I'm down with that.  ( good )

Okay. Sorry about that.

No need to apologise,  lol. I was merely pointing out something not-so-obvious. :)

It is really important that the loss of the crew on the Versant is keenly felt and that in their hearts they want to go rescue them primarily.

But logic, the brain, would suggest that either the Theurgy's mission or the Borg threat is more important. It's a family or duty dilemma. Duty bding saving millions of lives from the Borg or the Parasites.

A great example: Would Ranaan Ducote still make the Borg his priority if he knew Blue For an was on the Versant @Top Hat ? :)

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan
(http://blog.dinoray.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/spock.gif)
Post by: Top Hat on April 24, 2018, 07:03:43 PM
Ducote almost abandoned his duty once for Blue. Getting picked up by the Theurgy likely means his career is over anyway. But warning about the Borg and committing genocide rescuing Blue are not mutually exclusive. Launch a warp-speed communication probe for one and an assault for the other.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 24, 2018, 07:09:23 PM
Ah, I seem to have neglected the stakes involved.

Communicating and warn about the Borg is one thing.

But what if they can actually stop the Borg invasion?

Food for thought! :)
Post by: patches on April 24, 2018, 07:40:07 PM
R'Rori would want to do whatever s/he could to avoid another Battle of Wolf 359. Every battle that the Federation has with the Borg has been costly and the Dominion War is still so very recent, as well.

Kino just wants to make pretty explosions.
Post by: Multificionado on April 25, 2018, 09:19:32 PM
Just a little something: I hope it won't be a little early, but I had the idea of Rawley, on her way to the Fighter Bay to reunite with the Wolves, maybe as soon as she's discharged, she goes to the brig to see Nicander. I mean, sooner or later, she's bound to find that out. I figure Rawley would show up and chew him out for being "the backstabbing git who's pulled the strings all along." And she'd finish with a threat: In a nutshell, if he tries to escape, to warn his superiors, the minute she finds out about it, she'll be there; "You won't always have the lads in yellow and all these laser emitters to protect you, Nicander. When that day comes, I suggest you watch your arse, 'cause I'll emptying all my ordinance in it!"
Post by: Multificionado on April 25, 2018, 09:30:17 PM
@patches Kino making pretty explosions. I can imagine that.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on April 26, 2018, 01:43:28 PM
Progress posted in Charades! :)

USS Niger Arrival (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg15767.html#msg15767)

The Brig Scene (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg15768.html#msg15768)

Keep in mind that 7 days response time begins after Nolan or Top Hat has posted in this thread!

As for Rawley being allowed to visit the Brig, it might not be any opening for that right away, but eventually, perhaps, depending on the development in the current scene. :)

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Multificionado on April 26, 2018, 02:27:25 PM
Of course. Depending on the development of the current scene. Gotcha.
Post by: Nolan on April 26, 2018, 07:05:14 PM
Could have Rawley present at the Niger meeting in the hangar bay? Also a one on one thread with Ravon perhaps on Day 04? @Multificionado
Post by: Havenborn on April 26, 2018, 07:54:01 PM
Is the squadron reorganization going to be done off camera or is that something that's going to happen on late-day 3 or on day 4?
Post by: Multificionado on April 26, 2018, 08:34:05 PM
@Nolan well, a one on one with Ravon and Rawley would be inevitable. Considering she'll eventually find out who was really responsible, it's likely she'll forgive Ravon and Maya. It's entirely up to the boss.
Post by: Top Hat on April 26, 2018, 08:36:00 PM
Ravon is currently standing in front of a runabout in the charge of an angry and desperate hybrid...
Post by: Doc M. on April 28, 2018, 02:40:46 AM

Of course, we shouldn't gloss over the Doctor Nicander problem.  I'd like to have Maya volunteer for dealing with that troublesome patient, for to my knowledge she is the only one aboard who has mind touched one of the parasites and lived to tell the tale and has the best chance to have some idea of what she is dealing with.

I'm withdrawing the entire concept of Maya taking the lead with the Nicander situation.  Amelya Duv pardon me, Rez, with her simbiont is a better symbolic hero to Nicander's villain.  Both are possessed, both are physicians, both have voices in their heads that make them dangerously clever and cleverly dangerous.  From a thematic viewpoint Amelya Rez and Lucan Nicander being archfoes is a no brainer.  Nicander even performed the operation that turned Amelya Duv into Amelya Rez!  Maya is a resource should anyone working on the Nicander/Parasite problem wish to consult her, but otherwise she's going to butt out.  Vulcan characters shine their brightest in the Spock position, not the Kirk, and its time that Maya keeps quiet and fades into the background to take a supporting role before she finds herself alone in the room with a possessed serial killer.  The CMO is crazier than a bag full of cats!
Post by: Havenborn on April 28, 2018, 07:39:02 AM
Quote from: Doc M.
The CMO is crazier than a bag full of cats!
(laugh)
Post by: Multificionado on April 28, 2018, 01:53:17 PM
@Doc M. That would work fittingly. Maya around Nicander probably wouldn't work well in that she wouldn't go near the scumbag who violated her, even if she was a Vulcan.

And I imagine the CMO would be crazier than a bag full of kittens; I concur. Then again, with the motivations and the faceclaim, @Auctor Lucan has come up with an excellent villain, and the face claim would indicate Ian Somerhalder would make an excellent villain, notwithstanding the Vampire Diaries fan support. I see a coolly, calculated villain from the Nicander threads, and I hope this keeps up. :)
Post by: CanadianVet on April 28, 2018, 05:54:28 PM
Bag full of kittens? More like a bag full of rabid weasels on crystal meth...
Post by: steelphoenix on April 28, 2018, 07:02:00 PM
Bag full of kittens?  Just keep rubbing the salt in K'Ren's and Deacon's wounds....
Post by: Doc M. on May 02, 2018, 12:52:02 AM
Are Amelya and Maya still in the Security Centre when the officers from the Endeavour are beamed to their cells?    @Patches' post give me the impression that some time has passed.
Post by: patches on May 02, 2018, 12:58:46 AM
The post takes place right after they're beamed to the temporary holding cell, which is supposed to be maybe a few minutes after the acting bridge commander gives the order to energise, giving time for the transporters to filter out everything and for some anonymous bridge officer to quickly brief her (and Cinn) on the issue. Kino is welcoming them while Nicander is still being interrogated. What in my post has given the impression some time has passed?
Post by: Doc M. on May 02, 2018, 01:29:22 AM
I guess I just got confused.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on May 02, 2018, 11:09:52 AM
Patches has it correctly, and no worries, Doc! I get confused about the development sometimes too, and I am supposed to know best. :)
Post by: Triage on May 02, 2018, 02:10:32 PM
Patches has it correctly, and no worries, Doc! I get confused about the development sometimes too, and I am supposed to know best. :)
We're doomed...
Post by: Vox on May 04, 2018, 11:44:59 PM
We're doomed...

Almost as bad as asking your helmsman where the ship currently is and he tells you he has no idea :P
Post by: patches on May 06, 2018, 05:21:52 AM
@Doc M. the Endeavour crew are in a temporary holding cell that’s across the centre from where Maya is
Post by: CanadianVet on May 06, 2018, 09:59:54 PM
Well, Ducote is one tough audience... something tells me he needs to see one of the parasite-affected hosts for himself, the shot-to-shit-and-should-be-deader-than-last-week's-fish Nicander...

So I guess there WAS a reason he wasn't turned to a greasy stain just yet...
Post by: Nolan on May 25, 2018, 03:29:54 PM
After some brainstorming with @Auctor Lucan, we've come up with a contraption that could give us some more time to add supplemental threads before we reach the finale for Charades.

The idea: Whilst the scans are made to find the Borg warp trail, evidence of the Niger is processed and presented in a senior staff meeting (together with Endeavour officers?) about 5-6 hours post arrival of Niger. The question or debate could be about whether or not to follow the trail if found.

However as time runs out to move on to the next RV with the other vectors the trail is found and the crew now faces the problem that they have a solid warp trail to follow or should they (try to) meet up with the other vectors and share the problem there?

Additionally this also gives most of us the time to write additional supplemental threads after Charades.
Post by: Multificionado on May 25, 2018, 06:16:05 PM
Excellent idea! Could bring in quite a dilemma to those in the vector.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on May 29, 2018, 01:20:42 PM
New development for everyone writing in Charades! Link: https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg16420.html#msg16420

7 days response time - set in the new locations and 3 hours later than previous events - begins now. :)

A poll will be run for 7 days as well, where everyone can make their vote on the story development!

Poll link: https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2381.0.html

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 04, 2018, 11:10:39 PM
POSTING REMINDER FOR CHARADES!

Tomorrow, 7 days have passed, and there are a lot who have yet to post their characters in the new time and location announced above. Please notice how three hours have now passed since the earlier events in this chapter!

Three different locations announced, and I have crossed out the names of those who have posted in the new time-frame (instead of the old one, which some have done to wrap things, but its time to move on now):

Conference Lounge: Here, the high-ranking officers on the Sword have been debating for an hour about what to do. These are the present characters around the table in the room:

Commanding Officer: Lt Cmdr. Wenn Cinn @chXinya
Executive Officer: Lt. Simon Tovarek @Nolan
Tactical: Lt. Keval ch'Rayya (NPC) & T'Less @Vox
CONN: Ens. Jaya Thorne @Even Angels Cry
Operations: Lt. JG Nator 159 @Top Hat
Science: Lt. Tyreke Okafor @Auctor Lucan
Squadron Commanding Officer: Lt Cmdr. Thomas Ravon @Nolan
Guest: Cmdr. Ducote @Top Hat
Guest: Lt Cmdr. Vael Kaeris @steelphoenix
Guest: Lt. Kai Akoni @trevorvw

Tactical CONN Briefing Room: In this cinema-like room adjacent to the fighter bay, both the fighter pilots and the deck crews have gathered to listen to Ensign Cameron Henshaw (Mission Ops role for Tac CONN), her just having told them about the discussion taking place in the conference lounge. She stands on the podium together with Sten Covington, answering questions and listening as the pilots and deck crew voice their opinions about what they ought to do. Borg or RV? Here are the characters present in the briefing room:

Mission Ops: Ens. Cameron Henshaw @Nolan
Fighter Bay Ops: CWO1 Sten Covington (NPC)
Lt. JG Evelyn Rawley @Multificionado
Lt. JG Tessa May Lance @Doc M.
Lt. Daniel Havenborn @Havenborn
Lt. JG Krystal Tancredi @Triage
Ens. Christopher Slayton (NPC)
Lt. JG Alessia Garcia @Even Angels Cry
PO1 Vinnie Ferris @Auctor Lucan
Lt. Talidenai zh'Idenna (NPC)
PO2 Amyn Reshi (NPC)
Lt. JG T'Zantha (NPC)
Ens. Freedom Running Moon (NPC)
Lt. JG Cameron Ward (NPC)
Ens. Tallanyreen sh'Kandros (NPC)
Liam Herrold @Auctor Lucan
Eun Sae Ji @Blue Zephyr
Sithick @Masorin 

Primary Surgical Suite, Main Sickbay, CMO Office: Here, surgery on Nicander is underway. The surgical team is large, given the circumstances, and the process is being carefully monitored by three security officers in sanitised exosuit gear,phaser rifles and Mk II Pulse Phase Pistols. Talking between the medical personnel and the security guards are perfectly allowed, of course, even if there might be some suspense in the CMO Office and the primary surgical suite. Even here, the decision between the Borg and the RV could be the focus, aside from the procedure itself. Check Tyreke Okafor's character page (https://uss-theurgy.com/w/index.php?title=Tyreke_Okafor) to learn how he could have aided in the preparations for the procedure on Nicander. Here are the people in the room:

Doctor Rez @Nolan
Doctor Maya @Doc M.
Doctor Elro Kobol  @Mathis 
Nurse Jovela (NPC)
PO1 Varder Ridun @Jm Von Cat
PO2 Eliska Bremmer @CanadianVet
PO2 Kino Taer @patches

Hope you all who have yet to post can do so soon!

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: patches on June 05, 2018, 04:51:17 PM
We're doomed. DOOMED.
Post by: Multificionado on June 05, 2018, 04:57:48 PM
Doomed I doubt. But an edge there is. I'm looking forward to how the plot develops. :)
Post by: Top Hat on June 11, 2018, 10:43:01 AM
For email readers or those not on Discord, I updated my last Charades post with a few extra lines at the end of Ducote's segment.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 21, 2018, 04:00:35 PM
Chapter 04: Charades continues! :)

https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg16828.html#msg16828

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Doc M. on June 23, 2018, 09:22:25 AM
For email readers or those not on Discord, I updated my last Charades post with a few extra lines at the end of Ducote's segment.

Thanks Top Hat.  I needed the head's up.

We've got another time skip in CH04 Charades to allow some other threads to be written.  I think we should share ideas for any character development or personal progressions any of our characters in the meantime before the window closes.  We can then see if any of our ideas intersect and can contact each other and get those threads started.  For example, Nolan had an idea about the Lone Wolves doing karaoke in Below Decks in an attempt to raise their spirits.  Are any of the pilots available during that time to participate in the thread?  So I'm going to list what I hope my characters can accomplish or face between 1800 and 2300.

Maya:  With the reveal of Nicander, Maya is now a free woman.  What challenges does she have reintegrating herself into the crew and is everybody that forgiving or understanding?  Of course, considering Maya's poor social skills and introverted nature it could be weeks before it is addressed, but assuming we're on 'TV time' we've got ample opportunity to address this sooner.

Tessa:  The concept of the Savi, the Borg, and the parasites that have infected Starfleet all attacking the Federation at once has plunged her into a pit of despair.  Does anybody have an idea how to get her out of her funk so that she's fit for duty by 2300.  Sadly, all of the counselors seem to be on Vector 03.  I suppose that NPCs like Christopher Slayton and T'Zantha could help her out but I feel that PCs should always get first crack at any challenge or role-playing opportunity. 

Well, that's my two cents worth.  Feel free to discuss any character development or thread ideas you have for Chapter 04 (Vector 02) and what you want your characters to accomplish during this time, and we can see where ideas intersect.   Even if your characters aren't coming near mine, there must be other characters in Vector 02 your characters can build a scene with. 
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 23, 2018, 10:28:49 AM
Awesome initiative, @Doc M. ! :)

As for myself, I have Liam Herrold present, whom will likely have some time with Ji now that they might get assimilated by the Borg, @Blue Zephyr ? I think we can wrap the current "Jiam" thread first, though? Liam is, fo course, open for other scenes too, since its a 5 hour window to fill.

I have Tyreke Okafor on Vector 02 as well, and he is a brand new character for me, so I would really welcome some character building scenes for him. He'd due on the bridge as of 2300 hrs., but before then, he ought to have had some time off duty. There is also a potential follow-up on how well his research fared to fix Nicander.

Nicander is already in the main thread, and he's been in surgery up until then, so no openings for him, I'd say.

Oh, I have this NPC, Vinnie Ferris, who is Alessia Garcia's RIO, but I only write him as-needed. Just let me know if he is still relevant for something. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Multificionado on June 23, 2018, 02:01:04 PM
That party's an excellent idea! :) Granted, on Rawley's side of things (The Rawley Supplemental "Wolf's Intuition") Rawley has her own things to tie up, but I plan to follow that up with her one-on-one with Ravon later; Nolan and I were discussing something between Rawley and Ravon, and the party looks like a great place to do it. Granted, I had imagined a quiet moment between the two of them and a bottle of whiskey or a cup of tea (the former would be more into Rawley's character), but that party's an excellent idea and setting! :)

Being the morale booster as it is, I can also see Rawley trying to cheer Goldeneye up, and given Rawley's forgiven Maya (under Nicander's influence, she was messing up minds, like with Ravon and another Lone Wolf) it makes things okay.
Post by: Triage on June 23, 2018, 08:37:29 PM
@Doc M., if you like, Meony could give Tessa a hand with cheering her up and encouraging her. She already did talk to her, kinda? Right? I could start a supplemental where she invites or drags Tessa along for a holodeck practice session using projectile guns against Borg hologram targets, and they could also discuss the pros and cons of replicating a bunch of actual projectile weapons in anticipation of the Borg drones invading the ship. How's that sound?

Also, I don't think you answered, @Auctor Lucan, but can we have 21st - early 22nd century projectile weapons like pistols and shotguns, even a gattling gun? I just feel like those would be useful alternatives once phasers are adapted to by the Borg. That, and explosives, of course. I think Meony knows enough about the ancient weapons to be able to replicate the parts and build a few revolvers and a shotgun. And the bullets of course. If you approve...
Post by: Multificionado on June 23, 2018, 08:46:41 PM
Projectile weapons? Against the Borg? Not a bad idea! I think I remember that one DS9 episode (season 7) where Ezri solves a murder involving such a gun. :) Still, a Gatling gun's a great idea! Heck, I can imagine Rawley packing such a gun, the way she packed an Isometric Desintigrator against Reavers. :) I'm so reminded of "Predator."
https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/predator-ol-painless-gif.gif?w=650
Post by: Triton on June 28, 2018, 11:36:00 PM
Do Blades work against Borg in our universe? I was just watching DS9: The Magnificent Ferengi and the knife-throwing Ferengi, Leck, was seen polishing his blade with a tool that Worf often enough used on his Mek'leth, that we all know could slice a Drone, even in space. Which had me thinking about a list of certified personnel who would be considered ready in the face of a Borg boarding party. Throwing/Sec Exo suit Knives, Ushaan-Tors, Lirpas, various Klingon weaponry, etc.
Post by: Doc M. on June 28, 2018, 11:52:26 PM
@Doc M., if you like, Meony could give Tessa a hand with cheering her up and encouraging her. She already did talk to her, kinda? Right? I could start a supplemental where she invites or drags Tessa along for a holodeck practice session using projectile guns against Borg hologram targets, and they could also discuss the pros and cons of replicating a bunch of actual projectile weapons in anticipation of the Borg drones invading the ship. How's that sound?

Also, I don't think you answered, @Auctor Lucan, but can we have 21st - early 22nd century projectile weapons like pistols and shotguns, even a gattling gun? I just feel like those would be useful alternatives once phasers are adapted to by the Borg. That, and explosives, of course. I think Meony knows enough about the ancient weapons to be able to replicate the parts and build a few revolvers and a shotgun. And the bullets of course. If you approve...

Firing a projectile weapon with recoil and firing a particle beam weapon without recoil are two different things.  The majority of the people aboard would probably be bigger threats to themselves than the Borg if they started wielding weapons that used gunpowder and bullets.  I'm definitely all for the "training montage" scene, and personally feel that it should be mandatory for all characters who will be packing old school sidearms.  And after watching Star Trek:  First Contact, I would be surprised if blades and bayonets weren't effective against the Borg.  You know how it is with zombies, even space zombies.  If guns don't work, you gotta chop them up or blow them apart with dynamite. 

As for the holodeck scene, we need to schedule a time.  Will it interfere with the karoke scene (assuming that Nolan and I recover enough from our health problems to work on it) or Multificionado's scene in Chapter 04: Supplemental [Day 05 | 1800 Hours] A Wolf's Intuition (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2396.0.html)?
Post by: Jm Von Cat on June 29, 2018, 01:16:42 AM
We do still have the RG-M1506 PT-10 Accipiter, although this weapon is in limited supply and still requires limited instruction to use. (I don't know how many people on Vector 02 have ever used this thing)
Doc also brings up a decent point about the differences between firing a phaser and a slug thrower, the principles are similar but things like recoil would likely be a new concept to the majority of Starfleet Security and Starfleet as a whole.

I now also have a question for whomever may know the answer. Do our Phaser rifles support Bayonet mountings? I have personally not seen any such thing for Starfleet equipment, but it is certainly not an outlandish thought.
If the answer is no, how doable would it be to jury rig something? Between security alone we have a lot of DIY (Mistress at arms, Resistance, Kino...), without even mentioning engineering.
Post by: Multificionado on June 29, 2018, 02:51:39 AM
Not at all. That training sequence could start at a different time, say, 2100 hours. It could potentially be set before the arrival but after everybody disperses for personal whatnots.
Post by: Triton on June 29, 2018, 05:28:34 AM

I now also have a question for whomever may know the answer. Do our Phaser rifles support Bayonet mountings? I have personally not seen any such thing for Starfleet equipment, but it is certainly not an outlandish thought.
If the answer is no, how doable would it be to jury rig something? Between security alone we have a lot of DIY (Mistress at arms, Resistance, Kino...), without even mentioning engineering.

I almost mentioned this in my last post, particularly about pairing a bayonet, but when I asked at one point for potential use in the coreless moon, it was turned down. In the Trek verse, while I haven't yet seen a phaser rifle with a bayonet, it seems like they should, at least in the face of their arch-nemesis weapon: Jem'Hadar rifles have their bayonets on the side of their rifle, though that model appear designed for this.

(http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/props/jemhadar-jemhadar-rocksandshoals.jpg)

I'm sure I saw the Klingon rifles have something similar, but if not, then I agree, I'd like Jimmy to pull up something from his sketchbook and present it to Wenn Cinn and security about a Borg-buster. And if it's one of those "Starfleet-doesn't-believe-in-Warships" situations, might I remind that the Federation (what's left of it now, eg Theurgy) might have to jury rig something... or start issuing unconventional weapons and tactics to deal with the Space Zombies in question.

In the last season of Deep Space Nine, Ezri was hunting a TR-116 rifle toting murderer on the station and her homicidal former host nearly got her to kill a suspect who had acquired the transporter pattern for that rifle: He was cited as being an arms collector for sport. I was hoping early on that Jimmy would want to do the same: Making a weapon or extention to aid the troops, citing the inefficiency of Western rifles in a Southeast Asian historic war in the 20th century.
Post by: Multificionado on June 29, 2018, 02:26:31 PM
That's a good idea, Mariner presenting a Borg-buster to Cinn. I wonder if that would have to be something in the previous interregnum, considering what happens in the beginning of Chapter 5 in its entirety, but whatever works. :)
Post by: CanadianVet on June 29, 2018, 11:25:13 PM
At least, Vector 2 has the main armoury.  We know at least one Accipiter rifle is on Vector 1, but the remainder could be there.  Along with the ship's stock of TR-116's. 

As for coming up with more projectile weapons, wouldn't it be possible to replicate more, with the right access codes and authorizations? 
Post by: Doc M. on June 30, 2018, 12:01:41 AM
Manufacturing them is the easy part, but good luck actually firing them.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 30, 2018, 12:21:05 AM
It's late and I need to sleep but like I wrote on Discord I will explain here why projectile weapons and blades will not be a good option against the Borg. It's not just a thematic issue with shoehorning 20th century into Trek, but more on that later. :)

G'night for now!
Post by: patches on June 30, 2018, 12:24:53 AM
Both are canonly the only real reliable options so I’m looking forward to your explanation.
Post by: Triton on June 30, 2018, 01:48:35 AM
It's late and I need to sleep but like I wrote on Discord I will explain here why projectile weapons and blades will not be a good option against the Borg. It's not just a thematic issue with shoehorning 20th century into Trek, but more on that later. :)

G'night for now!

Cheerio. It's your sim, so ultimately we'll agree but for consideration and for the sake of Trek-wide options and case examples, I'll offer one last closing argument,

Exhibits A and B:
[Show/Hide]

I don't know what shoehorning is*, but Phaser rifles firing 12 shots at most is ultimately ineffective, self-defeating and suicidal/BorgAssimil-icidal. Phasers, or variations in disruptor, plasma, tetryon, polaron, antiproton, "laser", or other weapon systems only have so many workable outputs before drones can realistically adapt. If there's one conceivable method. Explosives (Sorry, Patches/Kino) are sloppy and have no regard for collateral damage; up to and perhaps including EMP/Flashbangs or even sonic pulse weaponry (a la 1984's Dune made-for-movie guns) only get so far. Taking out the Borg Queen isn't always as easy as plot-logic makes it out to be. Their presence alone is their adaptability, a villain and as Gene Roddenberry put it, the evils of technology, or words to that extent, and thus exist to test the protagonists against the apparent unstop-ability of technology.

My thesis is that against Borg, there has to be a line that separates organics from the spread of assimilation. The same may be said for graviton beams used by the Savi… or the often-postulated Discord notion of making the Borg find the Savi and duke it out. Whatever the Line can be as much from the 20th as much as the pre-gunpowder centuries, it has to be drawn. Phasers essentially just can't be our only hope against the horde. "Shoehorning" Isn't IRL fanservice, it's a logical advantage against beings with organic parts who can't defy the laws of Newtonian physics.

All this said, I do look forward to what could be better than a variably capable bladed weapon in trained hands against an enemy whose personal shields can ultimately and eventually shrug off energy weapons. Beaming drones into space does seem like a good plan-b.
Ex:
"Thea/Computer: Locate Ensign Six and Lock onto any other borg life form aboard our sensors can identify and execute emergency-transporter counterintrusion override."

The Defense Rests.

*Shoehorning Definition: [Show/Hide]
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 30, 2018, 09:58:56 AM
Right! Now I have the time! Not to worry, Theurgists, I have done plenty of research already and I believe there is plenty of stuff to use in writing any possible altercation with the Borg. Sadly, there are fallacies with blades and projectile weapons that make them a bad choice compared to 24th century technology.

Here's from Memory Alpha:

Quote from: Memory Alpha
After assimilation, a drone possessed greater strength than before assimilation. Its organic cardiopulmonary system was reinforced.

A drone's body was covered with exo-plating, which could protect it from the rigors of space, among other things, and the exoskeleton of a single limb could withstand a power surge of five million gigawatts.

When equipped with an eyepiece, a drone had the ability to see everything within the EM spectrum, similar to a Federation VISOR, as well as view the nanoscale, the size of molecules, analyze every facet and dimension of any object in perfect detail, and save perfect representations of those objects in physical memory. A drone's eyepiece was capable of directly observing the geometry of multi-dimensional space-time.

A drone also had a personal force field which protected itself from particle beam weapons such as phasers. The force field could adapt itself to counteract the threat the drone was experiencing. A drone even had the ability to survive after being frozen for at least 90 years.

Exo-plating
Exo-plating was the standard armor of a Borg drone. Armor plating attached to the skull of a drone could have over three million microconnectors.

Personal force field
A force field is an energy barrier with many applications and varying degrees of strength.

By the 24th century, Federation Starfleet force fields were commonplace and were rated by intensity, ranging in strength from levels 1 through 10. A level 10 force field was the strongest and was used, for example, during a scientific experiment of which the outcome was unknown, or known to be explosive in nature. Applications ranged from creating holograms to sealing a hull breach to personal force fields designed to keep potential assailants at bay.

The effects of a force field on its surroundings varied greatly. Contact with a force field could cause anything from a slight tingle to death. Most force fields were non-lethal, although some civilizations such as the Dominion preferred the lethal variety. If a force field was active, an object or transporter beam generally could not pass through it, although this was not always the case. The Borg were known to not be hindered by most force fields; they could adapt and simply walk through the field. This was effected by having the cranial implant activate particular nanoprobes to adjust the drone's bioelectric field. However, a Borg drone could be cut off from the Collective if it was surrounded by a Starfleet level 10 force field.

The Borg utilized personal defensive force fields. The force field was sufficient to allow survival in space without a spacesuit. When in combat, Borg drones could be killed by phasers but only for the first several shots. The phaser became ineffective if used at the same setting after multiple shots. The phaser's effectiveness could be extended though by adding a frequency modulation chip, but drones would eventually adapt to this as well.

I think the popular idea about crude projectile weaponry and kinetic weaponry comes from Picard killing a couple of Borg with a tommy gun, and Worf's success with a melee weapon (I fail to remember when this happened, but no matter). I'd say the Borg just don't protect themselves against bladed weapons for a few reasons, not just that it's a rare form of attack. They are also armoured with their exo-plating, and trying to cut common steel with any sword should show how much good that will do. Slow-moving attacks might also be overlooked since they try to assimilate the victims, and need to get within arm's length. With their enhanched strength, close quarters combat with a Borg is inadvisable unless you are Data, I'd say. They can't erect a forcefield against a fist because they need access to the fists of their victims for assimilation purposes.

The detriment with using swords, aside from using them against armoured opponents, is that they also require a very rare skill-set, and the Borg Drones are not alone when the board ships. A single competent swordsman or woman would be outnumbered and crowded up on, blunting their blade against plating in futility. Hitting organic parts would be the goal, of course, but a simple raising of their arm would block the strike and potentially bend the blade. The assimilation tubes would come next at that range.

Projectile weapons they'll no doubt block easily enough, but only after the first few Drones have fallen victim. I am not sure why the Collective chooses to reset their Drone's personal forcefield settings after each time we see them, since no matter what attack or weaponry used against them, it is effective at first, and then, they adapt. The basic defensive technique against projectile weapons would be simple, since force fields can keep physical mass out, making invisible walls in forms of structural integrity fields. So, a standard shield, which is known to be quite effective against conventional kinetic explosions or even ramming attacks. Increase power, and apply a bit of inertia control, and a Drone could quite plausibly become impervious to artillery shells.

The closest thing to projectile weaponry we have in the story are the mass drivers, (the twin-mounts on the fighters) and the Accipiter rifles from the future. Starfleet has phaser technology because there is a stun setting, aka a non-lethal option to handle situations, and that should still be the go-to option because we are writing in the futuristic fiction world of Star Trek. Secondly, in the case of projectile weaponry, normal deflector shields on fighter craft are sufficient to respell the slugs of mass drivers and the Accipiter as well, and phaser energy is far superior in that regard. The mass drivers work in specific situations, in conjunction with the tetryon pulse phase cannon on the Valkyries, which is used to break down shields. Moreover, the mass drivers is an excellent point defence system on the fighters, protecting against torpedo fire, etc.

So, in regard to the Borg, since regular shields can handle the rapid fire solution of mass drivers, which are rail guns, then it should make perfect sense that a gatling gun won't make any difference. Borg are continuously upgrading the defences of all Drones to adapt to new threats.

BUT! They Borg seems to fall victim to phasers every time we see them (instead of just the first time), so in our story, that will be the case again, the Borg assimilation boarders vulnerable at first, but gradually less so. Key argument against projectile weaponry in this context: They only have a single setting, whereas the phasers and all other energy weapons can be modulated to last longer against them.

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Havenborn on June 30, 2018, 10:24:02 AM
I think the more plausible reason as to why projectile weapons aren't an option is because it'd take far too long to fabricate and train personnel to use them as the vast majority of Starfleet personnel aren't actually trained to use weapons with any sort of recoil.

Also for bladed weapons, the only reason that it worked for Worf was because he was fighting against a single drone with his sword.

As a side note; the only person I can think of that is actually qualified with any sort of projectile/kinetic weapon is Daniel because his people never developed advanced energy weapons.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 30, 2018, 10:55:42 AM
An additional reason, for sure. :)
Post by: Multificionado on June 30, 2018, 02:18:40 PM
That makes sense. And while we may think of First Contact, for me, I also think of that one DS9 Season 7 episode which has a projectile weapon, which has a key role in the episode (where Ezri Dax is solving a murder).

And it makes sense for the Borg to fall to phasers in first encounters now that I think about it. Perhaps with constant modulation, the phasers would keep bringing them down.

However, that's just in the event of a boarding party. I can imagine the Wolves softening up a Cube in the likelihood of meeting one, or just helping on fire. The Wolves certainly can be fast enough to dodge the Borg's fire. :)
Post by: steelphoenix on June 30, 2018, 05:43:34 PM
I always wondered why no one ever tried a type of EMP against the borg.  It shuts down electronics.  If the borg is still able to function after that, it loses the hive mind, much of its adaptability, shields, etc.  The only way for the borg to adapt to such a thing is to be scanning it from outside range but for quite a while going in, all they would know is that groups of drones are suddenly "offline" with no explanation why.  As Voyager showed... borg adapt, but they don't innovate.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on June 30, 2018, 07:09:08 PM
You are quite right. If there is an EMP reference in the shows, I can't recall it. Then again...

Although force fields had been in use for many years, Starfleet did not begin research on such a device until around 2147, then referred to by Malcolm Reed as a "stable EM barrier." By about 2152, Starfleet hadn't found a method of controlling the particle density of the field. Reed nonetheless made use of such a barrier to save several crew members, including Jonathan Archer.

A common jamming signal or EMP pulse might just be exactly what they would be able to adapt their own forcefield to. That doesn't say it might work for a couple of times too, just like phasers.

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

I always wondered why no one ever tried a type of EMP against the borg.  It shuts down electronics.  If the borg is still able to function after that, it loses the hive mind, much of its adaptability, shields, etc.  The only way for the borg to adapt to such a thing is to be scanning it from outside range but for quite a while going in, all they would know is that groups of drones are suddenly "offline" with no explanation why.  As Voyager showed... borg adapt, but they don't innovate.
Post by: CanadianVet on July 01, 2018, 04:02:40 AM
With regards to EMPs, they work, in a physics sense, on the principle that electronic components act as an antenna for a shit-ton of EM energy; that means anything that relies on electricity as we know it would be susceptible, from power lines to the wiring harness in our computers. 

Now, I don't know what the Borg run on, but let's thing about Trek universe right quick. Starships are routinely exposed to all sorts of massive EM phenomenon on a regular basis.  Hell, just every time a console blows, if it was relying on "conventional" electronics, it would generate an EMP of its own.  And that's before we talk about ships going into and coming out of warp with its attendant radiation bursts, exploding plasma- and anti-matter based ordnance, breaching warp cores, stellar phenomenon... Hell, the Voyager opening credits show her flying through the loop of a solar flare, where the EM output would be off the charts. 

And yet, starship electronics don't short out.  Either through component shielding, or getting away from using the power transmission media that is non-magnetic, they're protected, somehow. 

Now, the Borg have assimilated countless kinds of technology, so an EM-based attack might just make them go "Ah, how quaint". 

Now, if we were talking about subspace-based EMP attacks that would interfere with their neural linkage?  I think now we'd be cooking with gas.
Post by: Top Hat on July 15, 2018, 08:43:32 AM
@Doc M. the time in Charades is currently 2300 on Day 05.
Post by: Doc M. on July 15, 2018, 10:36:55 AM
Ah yes, I see where I got confused now. 
Post by: Auctor Lucan on July 16, 2018, 12:38:40 AM
We have some new development!

Chapter 04: Charades (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg17185.html#msg17185)

So Nicander didn't get his adrenaline shot, so he could only say so much to the bridge about what they are dealing with. The Lone Wolves that launched are to link up their sensor suites to the Sword, pooling the data and with their vantage points getting a better chance to triangulate any findings. Only problem is... there is a vessel approaching!

Here is the bridge crew, and the response time of 7 days begins today: [Show/Hide]
Here are the characters in the Fighter Assault Bay and the Lone Wolves Squadron, and the response time of 7 days begins when @Nolan posts with Thomas Ravon & Ens. Henshaw for those on reconnaissance: [Show/Hide]
Primary Surgical Suite, Main Sickbay, CMO Office: Here, Nicander has passed out, and either the patient stays where he is, or he is moved to the Brig. The ranking Security Officer is Vader Ridun, but there is the health of the patient to consider, and the current mission: [Show/Hide]
Please notice how five hours have passed since the earlier events in this Chapter and 2300 hrs, which is the present time. These five hours are, of course, now available for everyone to use in setting up their own Supplemental threads. The naming convention for such threads belonging to Chapter 04 is still: Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day XX | XXXX hrs. ] Insert Title.

@Doc M. suggested something excellent in planning for Supplemental threads for the 5 hour window, but also, keep in mind that there was an even bigger window between Day 03 1500 hrs. where they fought the Savi and the start of Chapter 04: Charades on Day 05. Ample of opportunity for more Supplemental threads so don't feel locked up by the progression of the main story! :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Post by: Auctor Lucan on July 20, 2018, 11:17:13 AM
I discovered something in the title for this thread:

Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day 04 | 1955 hrs. ] Karaoke Night (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2407.0.html)

This has to be meant to be Day 05, right? Same day as Charades unfolds? Otherwise, Rawley can't be present, since she was in stasis. I am assuming that it was meant to be Day 05 and making an edit, but let me know if this was supposed to be the day before Charades.

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Auctor Lucan on July 24, 2018, 09:57:34 AM
I saw some time-tags in a few of the latest posts that said the time was 1500 hrs., so just to be on the safe side, I want to clarify the time progression in Charades. Here is the latest log from Okafor, to set the record straight. :)

“Personal Log, Supplemental. Stardate 57555.12. Time seem to dilate when death is imminent, and I have to remind myself how we got into this situation.

At 1500 hrs. today, we encountered the Runabout Niger, and after the initial altercation, where Commander Ducote and his people ended up in the Brig, the shuttle's crew was willing to work with our staff once the parasitic threat was revealed to them. With an infested aboard, we could provide enough evidence to put most grievances aside, and at 1800 hrs., the decision was made to investigate where the Borg cube that attacked the USS Endeavour came from.

The time is now 2300 hrs., and in the last five hours, after finishing their duties, the crew on the Sword have taken their time to sort out personal matters. The unsaid, the unheard truth... is that we all expect the worst. The Borg is like no other enemy the Federation has faced, different from the usurpers in Starfleet Command. While the latter is insidious and calculating, seemingly undermining all that modern civilisations have built... there is nothing indirect about the Borg.

When possible death stands at my door, I try to take heart in a grim Beninese proverb, one that my mother told me once during the Dominion War. She said that 'the world is a journey, the afterworld is home.'

I do not know if can take heart in those words, because assimilation is not death, and we might be denied the afterworld. Our souls never finding their way home, wherever it may be they belong.”

― Lieutenant Tyreke Okafor, the Sword, Vector 2 of the USS Theurgy

Just to be on the safe side! :)

I have noticed that we don't have that many Supplemental threads to complement the main story progression, and on one hand, I reason that people are too busy for more thread, but if it's simply a matter of not knowing what to write, would you all like me to brainstorm a few scenes between present characters? This doesn't just relate to Charades either. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Multificionado on July 24, 2018, 02:04:36 PM
Brainstorm a few scenes between present characters? Sure, boss. Thanks. :) Any help with ideas could be appreciated. :)
Post by: Auctor Lucan on July 28, 2018, 12:32:27 AM
New development in Charades! (Supplemental thread ideas will come soon)

Chapter 04: Charades (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg17398.html#msg17398)

Please note that the ship is A heavy carrier of 2381, and not earlier iterations. I will be setting up a page for it, but sufficed to say, I'd say this will be a tough battle. The response time of 7 days begins today for everyone. Here's the bridge crew:

Commanding Officer: Lt Cmdr. Wenn Cinn @chXinya (Present)
Executive Officer: Lt. Simon Tovarek @Nolan (Present)
Mission Ops: Ens. Cameron Henshaw @Nolan (Present)
Tactical: Lt. Keval ch'Rayya (NPC, Present) & T'Less (NPC, Present)
CONN: Ens. Jaya Thorne @Firefox013 (Present)
Operations: Lt. JG Nator 159 @Top Hat (Present)
Engineering: CPO Curt Lucas (NPC, Present)
Science: Lt. Tyreke Okafor @Auctor Lucan (Present)
Guest: Cmdr. Ducote @Top Hat (Summoned)
Guest: Lt Cmdr. Vael Kaeris @steelphoenix (Present)
Guest: Lt. Kai Akoni @trevorvw (Present)

Here is the characters in the Fighter Assault Bay and the Lone Wolves Squadron:

Fighter Bay Ops: CWO1 Sten Covington (NPC)
Lt. JG Evelyn Rawley @Multificionado (Reconnaissance)
Lt. JG Tessa May Lance @Doc M. (Fighter Assault Bay)
Lt. Daniel Havenborn @Havenborn (Reconnaissance)
Ens. Krystal Tancredi @Triage (Reconnaissance)
Ens. Christopher Slayton (NPC) (Present)
Lt. JG Alessia Garcia @Triton (Reconnaissance)
PO1 Vinnie Ferris (NPC) @Triton (Reconnaissance)
Lt. Talidenai zh'Idenna (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
PO2 Amyn Reshi (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
Lt. JG T'Zantha (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
Ens. Freedom Running Moon (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
Lt. JG Cameron Ward (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
Ens. Tallanyreen sh'Kandros (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
Liam Herrold @Auctor Lucan (Fighter Assault Bay, Weapon Storage)
Eun Sae Ji @Blue Zephyr (Fighter Assault Bay, Weapon Storage)
Sithick @Masorin (Fighter Assault Bay, Weapon Storage)

Primary Surgical Suite, Main Sickbay, CMO Office: Here, Nicander has passed out, and he can either 1) be resuscitated by Maya at the order of Doctor Rez, or 2) the patient stays where he is, still unconscious, or 3) he is moved to the Brig, or a combination of these alternatives. The ranking Security Officer is Varder Ridun, but there is the health of the patient to consider, and the current mission:

Doctor Rez @Nolan (Present)
Doctor Maya @Doc M. (Present)
Doctor Elro Kobol  (NPC) (Present)
Nurse Jovela (NPC, Present)
PO1 Varder Ridun @Jm Von Cat (Present)
PO2 Eliska Bremmer @CanadianVet (Present)
PO2 Kino Taer @patches (Present)

Again, as previously stated about the current situation, please notice how five hours have passed since the earlier events in this Chapter and 2300 hrs, which is the present time. These five hours are, of course, now available for everyone to use in setting up their own Supplemental threads. The naming convention for such threads belonging to Chapter 04 is still: Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day XX | XXXX hrs. ] Insert Title.

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Multificionado on August 08, 2018, 03:15:26 PM
So in light of the boss's recent post, in his OCC note, he states: "I want one NPC pilot/fighter among the Lone Wolves killed off in each post to sustain the plausibility of this battle." An NPC recommended is "Terror", or Tali, for dying in battle.
Post by: Doc M. on August 09, 2018, 03:12:34 AM
But Terror or Tali hasn't launched yet...  Have the fighters in the assault bay been given the order to launch yet?  I don't think so... If they have I missed it.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on August 09, 2018, 03:34:39 AM
Nolan will post this actually happening, but you can count on the launch order to come since chXinya had Wenn Cinn give those orders in his recent post. :) So post away!

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Nolan on August 09, 2018, 09:23:50 AM
"Henshaw, I need the rest of those fighters out here. Have them set to a defensive posture around Sword." he informed the mission ops controller before he fired off at full speed to the rear of the Klingon flagship.

Is what Thomas asked for in his last post which was followed by Henshaw's response.

"Terror, you are clear to guide the rest of the squadron out of the fighter bay. You are to take defensive positions around Sword and await further order from the SCO." she looked back at the Klingon chancellor as she typed a message to Ravon [Fighter compliments deployed by Rotarran. Rest of wolves launched.]

So technically the launch order had been given by both Wenn Cinn as Thomas Ravon.
Post by: chXinya on August 10, 2018, 12:14:43 AM
Figured I'd better share my thinking for the fight, even if Cinn may have forgotten to explain it out loud.

Running is the end goal, but he's figuring that the Rotarran can probably keep pace thanks to all of its upgrades.  He's hoping to knock out a nacelle or two to prevent a chase and the sensors need to go to keep it from being a control hub for the incoming fleet.  Those are the brass tacks.

As a player, I can certainly say that those goals can be accomplished much more quickly if the Sword had a way through the shields.  Okafor may be able to come through, but I do remember a scene from Trek where a decrepit old Bird-of-Prey managed to take out a flagship thanks to getting some eyes in the right place.... ;) *hint hint* :P
Post by: CanadianVet on August 10, 2018, 12:31:02 AM
Maybe there could be a flaw with the plasma coils?  A ionic pulse could trigger the cloaking device and make the Rotaran quite, quite vulnerable?

It did work for that out of date BoP in Generations...
Post by: Havenborn on August 10, 2018, 02:09:14 PM
Daniel's got it covered.  He's ordered Meony to use her tetryon cannon to punch a hole in the shields then Daniel is going to drop both his Hellbornes and create a nice sized hole for the Sword to target.
Post by: Triage on August 11, 2018, 04:44:55 AM
Hey guys, I just made a post here (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg17609.html#msg17609) in Charades.

It seems nifty and useful for easy tracking and reference, so I thought I'd share the idea here for whoever thinks it's a good one and wants to use it too.

What I did was make a simplified tracking system of the armaments of Meony's fighter like so:

This is Meony's fighter's current armament
[Show/Hide]
So basically, just input the Fighter's name and the weapons complement that the fighter is carrying. I've found it to be a useful reminder of exactly what my fighter has as a standard complement along with the additional uniquely arranged wing-mounted hard points. It's a flexible arrangement really, and you could put in as much details or features of your own fighters as you wish, and while no doubt we all probably include or mention the ship's armaments in our post narratives, sometimes it can be easier to track the details if it's placed in a neat little package at the bottom outside of the narratives themselves. To me, anyway.

Also, when an item or limited weapon is used up, you can use the strike-through to indicate it's been spent. I would imagine that the leaders would be aware of all the wingmates' equipment and chosen weaponry, and this would make it easier for all other writers to see what's going where and who has what. :)

Hope this helps. Have fun posting! Can't wait to see what happens next.
Post by: Triton on August 14, 2018, 10:08:12 PM
In the recent development, Angel fired off a second EMP torpedo that hit simultaneously with Meony's, upon seeing that she was drifting, After taking out 2 more raiders, she rejoined the formation to cover Havenborn's run.

Thus far, the Rotarran just got metaphorically tasered. Kinda (spoiler) like what happened to Fury. Just need to put a realistic way of elaborating his incapacitation. The Rotarran's currently got its targeting and disruptor banks compromised/disabled.

Thanks for the fighter armament layout, Triage. I hope it becomes the new standard for tac-conn :D
Post by: Havenborn on August 14, 2018, 10:38:37 PM
I'm going to try to get my post up on Wednesday but it'll more likely be coming on Friday or Saturday.  I'm working 12-hour overnight shifts this week until Friday.
Post by: Auctor Lucan on August 16, 2018, 04:58:40 PM
PROGRESS IN CHARADES!

Post is up here!

https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2332.msg17743.html#msg17743

I will post with Nicander after (Suggested PO) 1) @Doc M. 2) @Jm Von Cat and 3) @CanadianVet have posted, setting the scene in the Security Center.

We now have Klingon boarders! Three teams, five Klingons in each team, heavily armed and armoured, and they have been transported aboard decks 11, 13 and 16. @Top Hat & @trevorvw , might I suggest deploying some people there from the bridge? :)

The Theurgy fighters destroyed are (see spoiler): [Show/Hide]
Feel free to illustrate their deaths through comm traffic if you feel like it. No destroying of more than two raiders per post, but there are no more NPC fighters to destroy lest you want your primary characters to ETS (https://uss-theurgy.com/w/index.php?title=AC-409_Mk_III_Valkyrie#Ejection_Systems) back aboard the Sword (or die).

Seven days of posting for all begins today, and on the bridge and among the Lone Wolves, there is no set posting order.

Here's the bridge crew:
Commanding Officer: Lt Cmdr. Wenn Cinn @chXinya (Present)
Executive Officer: Lt. Simon Tovarek @Nolan (Present)
Mission Ops: Ens. Cameron Henshaw @Nolan / @Triage (Present)
Tactical: Lt. Keval ch'Rayya (NPC, Present) & T'Less (NPC, Present)
CONN: Ens. Jaya Thorne @Firefox013 (Present)
Operations: Lt. JG Nator 159 @Top Hat (Present)
Engineering: CPO Curt Lucas (NPC, Present)
Science: Lt. Tyreke Okafor @Auctor Lucan (Present)
Guest: Cmdr. Ducote @Top Hat (Summoned)
Guest: Lt Cmdr. Vael Kaeris @steelphoenix (Present)
Guest: Lt. Kai Akoni @trevorvw (Present)

Here are the characters in the Fighter Assault Bay and the Lone Wolves Squadron:

Fighter Bay Ops:
Lt Cmdr. Thomas Ravon @Nolan
CWO1 Sten Covington (NPC) (Fighter Assault Bay)
Lt. JG Evelyn Rawley @Multificionado
Lt. JG Tessa May Lance @Doc M.
Lt. Daniel Havenborn @Havenborn
Ens. Krystal Tancredi @Triage
Ens. Christopher Slayton (NPC)
Lt. JG Alessia Garcia @Triton
PO1 Vinnie Ferris (NPC) @Triton
Lt. Talidenai zh'Idenna (NPC)
PO2 Amyn Reshi (NPC)
Lt. JG T'Zantha (NPC)
Ens. Freedom Running Moon (NPC)
Lt. JG Cameron Ward (NPC)
Ens. Tallanyreen sh'Kandros (NPC)
Liam Herrold @Auctor Lucan (Fighter Assault Bay, Weapon Storage)
Eun Sae Ji @Blue Zephyr (Fighter Assault Bay, Weapon Storage)
Sithick @Masorin (Fighter Assault Bay, Weapon Storage)

Primary Surgical Suite, Main Sickbay, CMO Office:

Doctor Rez @Nolan (Sickbay)
Doctor Elro Kobol  (NPC) (Sickbay)
Nurse Jovela (NPC, Sickbay)
Doctor Maya @Doc M. (Security Center)
PO1 Varder Ridun @Jm Von Cat (Security Center)
PO2 Eliska Bremmer @CanadianVet (Security Center)
PO2 Kino Taer @patches (Security Center)

Again, as previously stated about the current situation, please notice how five hours have passed since the earlier events in this Chapter and 2300 hrs, which is the present time. These five hours are, of course, now available for everyone to use in setting up their own Supplemental threads. The naming convention for such threads belonging to Chapter 04 is still: Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day XX | XXXX hrs. ] Insert Title.
Post by: patches on August 16, 2018, 07:31:49 PM
@Doc M. @Jm Von Cat To be clear, we've been beamed to the temporary holding area in the Security Centre. It's a relatively small room just off the main area and there should be at least one other Security officer waiting for us there (perhaps one or more of those that Kai sent to reinforce the escorts for Nicander). The door from there leads to one more small room with a chair and a desk and from there to the Centre proper. It's a quick walk from there to the doors for the Brig. The map's on the Security page.
Post by: Doc M. on August 17, 2018, 06:46:56 AM
Wouldn't a standard brig cell be better?  Doc Nicander could lie down then.  He was prone (and almost delirious) when he beamed away.
Post by: Doc M. on August 17, 2018, 06:48:56 AM
No wait.  I've found it.  The Security Centre map changed again.  It's in the upper left hand side of the map.  Got it.
Post by: patches on August 17, 2018, 09:11:34 AM
The actual brig area has transport inhibitors to prevent people beaming in or out, per word of AL. We have to escort him personally into it on foot. @Jm Von Cat, @CanadianVet and I discussed it a bit on Discord and we agreed we'll team up and take out the boarding team attacking the auxiliary deflectors after making sure Nicander is properly secured. There's additional people (NPCs) to escort him (and Maya) to the Brig there.

What you do with Maya is up to you, but we're not going to be able to knock him out again since he's fresh with adrenaline unless you have some really strong sedatives. You can continue Maya's conversation with Nicander while we're doing that and there'll be Security NPCs there. CV suggested the two ACS graduates that he had standing with Bremmer during the initial interrogation, so two young-ish crewmen in exosuits plus the brig officer.
Title: Re: Plot Discussion | EP05 P2 CH02 Vantage Points
Post by: Auctor Lucan on August 25, 2018, 02:24:49 AM
Thread renamed to Vantage Points, and a new post is up from Martok and Nicander's POVs! :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: Top Hat on August 30, 2018, 08:39:20 PM
@Jm Von Cat - I should have tagged you alongside CV/Bremmer in my last post in VP. Apologies!
Post by: Jm Von Cat on August 30, 2018, 11:59:11 PM
No worries man, you are a human after all and I think we all know what that means.
Post by: patches on September 18, 2018, 03:44:56 PM
@Jm Von Cat @CanadianVet

Kino will be making her way back to the Centre, either recalled by McArthur now that Sickbay is fully secured or on her own accord to see what's going and if it still needs her awake. With the new supplemental for Nicander that @Auctor Lucan just made, are we all going to post there? It looks like we'll be basically background chatter for the primaries engaging with Nicander, which is totally cool. The security specialists fighting off sleep while the officers play hostage negotiators, heh.
Post by: Jm Von Cat on September 18, 2018, 05:37:01 PM
That sounds like a Plan, I can do something with Varder reporting on resuming operational control for security detail. Possibly some other fluff as well, but that is for us security types to know for certain.
I can post after you Patches, or before if you would prefer that. The main thing (For me) is probably going to be positioning guards, exo "Field" diagnostics, ect.
@patches @CanadianVet
Post by: Auctor Lucan on September 18, 2018, 11:34:23 PM
Two new Supplemental starters posted, which both directly follows the events in Vantage Points:

Chapter 02: Supplemental [ Day 06 | 0002 hrs. ] Aftermath (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2456.0.html)
This thread is for all who have characters on the Sword. Check the OOC note. Secondly:

Chapter 02: Supplemental [ Day 06 | 0001 hrs. ] The Second Path (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2455.0.html)
This one is for a scene in the Security Center, where Wenn Cinn, Simon Tovarek and Ranaan Ducote goes to see the doctor in his new confinements. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Post by: CanadianVet on September 19, 2018, 05:18:54 AM
@patches @Jm Von Cat

Well, it is customary for soldiers to look after their gear BEFORE they crash, so maybe the three caballeros could retire to the armoury to look after their suits and whatnot, shoot the shit a little?  Let the sirs do their officer-y and sir-y things while the grunts get on with the real work so they can get some shuteye at some point?
Post by: patches on September 19, 2018, 05:46:10 AM
That almost sounds like a supplemental thread of its own unless we need to integrate it in the existing one. If you want to do that, we can! It'd be handing off security to the more rested Gamma Shift folks, I guess, as part of it. With the vacuum and 25Gs, that temp cell is more secure than the actual brig cells minus the lack of transport inhibitors.

If we do that, I can have a starter up within the next two days.
Post by: Jm Von Cat on September 19, 2018, 08:08:09 PM
Possibly have a brief wrap up post in the current thread (I can handle that within the next day or so) in which we request and receive a relief and are stood down from active duty. Pretty simple to get that done given our little unit has been running active for what, near twelve hours?
Post by: Auctor Lucan on October 02, 2018, 04:19:53 PM
NEW AVAILABILITY FOR SUPPLEMENTAL THREADS

Please see the Newsletter sent out a short while ago. While this Chapter is finished and locked by now, Aftermath (https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2456.0.html)remains open for all who wish to continue to write their characters after the battle with the Rotarran.

You can now also post Supplemental Threads depicting scenes between 0001 hrs. on Day 06 to 0700 hrs. on Day 06, which is the earliest that the Sword can reach the Stallion. The naming convention for such threads belonging to this Chapter is: Chapter 02: Supplemental [ Day XX | XXXX hrs. ] Insert Title.

Keep in mind that some sleep might be in good order, and that they can get out of bed early, before 0700 hrs on Day 06.

Best,

Auctor Lucan
Simple Audio Video Embedder