Skip to main content
Topic: CH02: S [D02|1330] Old Wounds, New Tricks (Read 1778 times) previous topic - next topic

CH02: S [D02|1330] Old Wounds, New Tricks

[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor| Sickbay | Medical Lab 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan

Tyreke was surprised to get the call from V-Nine. It was welcomed, but surprising given how much time he'd been spending in warp harmonics and spatial reinforcement these days. It was nice to get something a little more... scientific, and less engineering. While the prospect of sending a starship hurling thousands of times the speed of light was fascinating... there was something so much more powerful and intense about helping just one being. To drive a stake through the heart of something hurting a single individual. It was those moments which reminded Tyreke about why the science unit appealed to him in the first place.

This is the first time he'd been out of the lab since his promotion by Vael Kaeris. The responsibilities were still pretty fresh, and he did feel a little awkward in his new duties, but Kaeris had prepared him well and given good guidance for Tyreke to follow. Didn't mean he always felt like he had the right answer, but he did have the questions that he needed. For a ship that was so small compared to a space station like Deep Space Nine, it still felt insurmountably large when it came to navigating the departments and structures.

This was proving to be an interesting case. The total restoration of a spinal column. He had done some extended research with Dr. Russell on the Gentronic Replicator... attempting to stabilize the synaptic shock around her procedure, but eventually shelved the idea since Dr. Russell had been guilty of using live patients for her test subjects in very risky and dangerous procedures. Tyreke restricted his research to the holodeck, but the technology did not have the processing power to keep up with the synaptic balancing required to integrate a live subject and a cloned spine. That was over a decade ago though... bio neural gel packs could make up the difference... at least that was the theory.

Shaking off the concern and straightening his uniform jacket, Tyreke walked through the doors of the Medical Lab.

Re: CH02: S [D02|1330] Old Wounds, New Tricks

Reply #1
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | Medical Lab 02 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Elaurianpaladin  
[Show/Hide]
When the sliding doors parted, V-Nine turned around with a surprised "Oh!" and she covered the speaker mounted at the bottom half of her cranial unit. Her lens zoomed to focus on the dark-skinned officer that had arrived, and she deduced from the personnel file that she'd downloaded from the database that this was Lieutenant Tyreke Okafor, newly appointed as Asst. Chief Science Officer after Vivian Martin had relieved herself from her duties due to lingering psychological trauma. With Lieutenant Vael Kaeris taking up Martin's duties as Head of the Science Department, Tyreke Okafor had been picked to take up his duties instead. The Human specimen in the doorway struck an impressive figure, as far as biological humanoids went.

"My apologies, I was merely startled. Hi!" she exclaimed and waved with a metallic hand, cocking a hip as she did so. "I'm Vigenary Model I-9, Surgical Android. Please, call me V-Nine, however. Thank you for making the time to see me!"

Putting her platform in motion, she stepped farther back into the medical lab, the overhead lights shifting over her white and black chassis whilst she made room for him. She indicated the screens on the wall. "I was hoping to find a mutual interest in this surgical undertaking I have ahead of me, where I am to restore Commander Fisher's spine, and I had hoped to do so by means not entirely conventional to Starfleet Medicine. I had hoped that, in order to assist not just this patient, but many to come, you would be interested in advancing the technology your personnel file mentioned. A device that had the beginnings of something the Savi currently use in terms of technology. As I understand it, you are familiar with Starfleet's unfinished Gentronic Replicator? If so, how far have your continued research taken you?"

She couldn't just presume he worked on it actively, of course, but she did want to save time by not regurgitating facts that the Human specimen was already familiar with.

"Oh! My apologies! Congratulations on your promotion as well!" she added, and giggled a little.

Reply #2
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor| Sickbay | Medical Lab 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan
"Happy to assist, V-Nine," Tyreke said with a smile. He'd not spent much time with such advanced artificial intelligence, but he was familiar with the work of visionaries like Dr. Soong, and marvelled at the triumph. "Thank you." He said as he walked over to the console and started to look at the research.

"The Gentronic Replicator... a very interesting idea a little ahead of its time. After parting ways with Dr. Russell, I would have to say the research hit a road block until Starfleet began switching over to high processing isolinear capacitants and bio-neural circuitry. The inital failing of the replicator technology was that during the actual growth phase, the systems could not keep up with the series of motor connections required to stablize a humanoid spine with the cloned material. The first successful usage... a Lt. Worf, if my memory serves me correctly... happened to be a Klingon so his redundant bio systems provided the stablization required for him to survive the procedure. With my advances in leveraging the high processing power of the Theurgy, I believe that with some simulations and perhaps a few trials, we can leverage this technology for non-Klingon species as well."

Tyreke looked up at the synthetic. "Have you attempted any trials with the technology? My research theories are still in the testing phase, but I would love to compare notes if you have started looking into this."

Reply #3
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | Medical Lab 02 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Elaurianpaladin 
[Show/Hide]
While putting her metallic hands on her hips, V-Nine watched the humanoid speak of his old feats together with the Doctor that had been testing the Gentronic Replicator, but to seemed the human female had been failing to meet Starfleet Medical ethics in her practise. Since V-Nine had complied to follow those same ethics in order to be allowed to work in sickbay and treat more patients than just those who'd been subjected to Savi experimentation, the note about the renegade medical scientist didn't sit well with her. In fact, it was a contributing reason for why she had wanted to work together with Lieutenant Okafor, happy as she had been when she'd learned he was actually serving on the very same ship that she'd ended up on after the battle in the Azure Nebula.

"Oh, no, I have not begun testing your old research, or that of Dr. Russell, so I have nothing farther to divulge in terms of actual trials in that regard," she said with a little laugh and walked up next to Okafor. "I do have some theories, however, in how Savi calculations and solutions might bridge the gap - as I hear it's called - and finalise the technology. See that?"

She raised one hand and pointed towards the most troublesome node of the construct, which consisted of a series of biosyntheses that weren't aligning unless direct input sorted out the formula. She daintily put on hand on the wide shoulder of the male specimen she shared the lab with, leaned in closer to him so that her lens and his eyes were aligned with her index finger and what it indicated on the screens. She merely wanted to make sure he was looking at the same screen section she was pointing at, not realising that she might be invading his personal space a little bit in her excitement.

"I think that part of the synchronisation can be solved with causality violation," she said, feeling the mass of the male specimen's shoulder and appreciating how he held a lot of physical strength for being a scientist. Usually, the officers in Security had shoulders such as his. "My makers, the Savi, discovered what the Humans would call the 'extra' dimension in which Kaluza-Klein graviton particles - particles without mass - vibrate and produce gravity. I know, gravity is normally not a factor in technology such as this,  right? But! I think it is the most readily available solution to introduce causality violation mathematics and get the synchronisation your technology needs. I gather you were on the bridge of the Theurgy when my old ship - the Versant - shot the Borg cube with graviton beams? That is another implementation of Kaluza-Klein graviton particles, only in a scale far from what I am suggesting."

Eager to hear what Okafor thought of her suggestion, she turned her teal lens towards his face.

Reply #4
If Tyreke was concered about V-9's proximity to him, he didn't show it. Honestly, the theory was an inspiring one. Leveraging Gravatonic systems to negate causality variations? It was fascinating, indeed.

"A very interesting premise," Tyreke nodded. "Instead of just putting more processing power into the cloning structure, you're suggesting a structure to connect the processes so they develop along pre-determined paths, and therefore prevent the system shock that was characteristic first living trial with Lt. Worf. We would want to do an inital pass to map out the entire growth process, as opposed to letting it develop naturally. That was another issue with the initial testing, they let the nerve clusters grow, not taking into account the potential variations of the fractal patterns that could appear should nerve endings grow in that kind of environment. Since they would be created outside of the body, in a canal created for this purpose... the normal biological processes that would affect the growth of the nerve structures over time would be lost. Compensation would need to be present in order to account for that in its entirety."

Tyreke handed V-9 a simulator. "Do you have a full staging holomatrix? If not, we could always travel to the holodeck to finish these calibrations and test our theories."

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]
Evidently, the human caught on to what V-Nine meant by introducing the Savi solution, in how gravimetric algorithms could connect the pathways of the processes. She hadn't begun to outline what she believed might work by using the solution before Tyreke Okafor had leapt upon the potential foreseen, and not only had he hypothesised an implementation, he'd even considered the means to map the growth of the nervous system and compensating for immune system rejection.

"I believe this medical lab has the projector we need," she said excitedly and gestured towards the lab desk at the far end of the room, which has a small holo-emitter mounted in the desktop and an LCARS input screen. "I can just add the variables we need wirelessly before we attempt a holo-synthesis for the growth."

Said and done, she accessed the terminal and uploaded the Savi code in order to provide the embryo of a key that might resolve the long-standing issue with the technology Tyreke Okafor had once worked on.

"What have you been working on since you left Doctor Russel's experiments behind? Have you achieved anything else that might assist in solving Commander Fisher's needs for a new vertebrae? I have promised Doctor Kobol  to not dig too deeply into personnel files since it might seem rude, and my security clearance aboard isn't the highest because... well you know. My makers and all that."

She luaghed nervously, running her hand over her cranial unit awkwardly, unsure what the scientist might think of her given that she was made by the Savi.

Reply #6
Lt. Tyreke Okafor| Sickbay | Medical Lab 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan

The Lt. nodded. “Perhaps... I have been doing some exploration into Nanotechnology... some of the uses of the tools for emergency surgery or repairs in places where crew members would not be able to survive any exposure. For example, on one of the original constitution class starships, the Enterprise, if I’m not mistaken, suffered the loss of her Captain after a training cruise when he was required to correct a problem in the warp engines to escape an explosion. The radiation, even for a Vulcan was severe... he died in minutes.”

There was a great deal more about that story, but since some of the details were still unknown or classified nearly eighty years later, Tyreke decided to keep going forward. “With nanotechnology the radiation could have been cleansed from the Captain and its damage repaired before catastrophic cell damage. In addition, they could have easily been programmed to go into the warp core and correct the problem, without the need for the Captain to sacrifice himself at all.”

He folded his hands as he continued. “Most nanotechnology work these days begins with borg assimilation devices... I.... wasn’t going to do that, so I constructed my own designs and theories about the usage. I didn’t get too far... there was so much to do on Bajor which occupied my time, but those designs are still present and did do well in their first trials. Might be something to consider for the vertebrae repairs which is a little less invasive.”

Reply #7
[Show/Hide]
It was a fascinating story that the science officer told her, and V-Nine craned her slim metallic neck as her digital mind imagined what had happened, and what manner of radiation might have been at play. As an android dedicated to medical treatment, a great number of questions prompted her to speak, generated out of the processes of her runtime. She stayed that impulse, however, since the task at hand had naught - or very little - to do with the anecdote that Okafor had brought up. She caught herself staring intently at him with her lens, however, wringing her hands in worry about the fate of the Vulcan specimen and the aforementioned Captain.

Making a sound as if she had a throat to clear, she looked away and folded her hands behind her back. The shift to nanotechnology and the application thereof by the Collective, however, was a sobering bit of input.

"Oh, dear. Yes, I would imagine that with the Borg pushing nanotechnology to the extremes, many Federation scientists would be deterred from actively trying to make too much progress. In terms of medical application, however, there are a number of great benefits to utilise such solutions. It's, unfortunately, a matter of advanced programming that often becomes the insurmountable thresholds for a lot of species. The many hours needed, even when computer assisted, to make nanotechnology work the way you want it to. Especially for specific tasks that leave no margin for errors, like the lives of patients, for instance."

Giving it some analysis, V-Nine gave her verdict of it.

"I think we ought to solve this problem with your gentronic replicator technology without having to resort to nanotechnology, but I might just suggest we keep it as a 'plan b' - as your species would put it - in case we fail to harmonise the gravity application."

And so, they began.

- FIN

OOC: If you want to continue this thread, let me know, otherwise we might as well finish here with the assumption that they eventually develop something that will benefit Commander Fisher? :)

Simple Audio Video Embedder