Skip to main content
Topic: Day 06 [0800 hrs.] Oku, Mia Dunne (Read 2068 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 06 [0800 hrs.] Oku, Mia Dunne

[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Archaeology & Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] @Eirual
[Show/Hide]
Having left the cybernetics lab behind, Lieutenant Tyreke Okafor stepped through the sliding doors of a lab that hadn't seen much usage over the past few months of the Theurgy's voyage. He ran a hand over his dark scalp and looked around, seeing how it had been repaired from battle damage at least, so that its new occupant wouldn't have to start by cleaning up a mess after the recent battles.

Having arrived a little bit ahead of time, Tyreke adjusted the sleeves of his uniform. "Thea, where is Ensign Mia Dunne?"

[Ensign Dunne is on her way, Lieutenant Okafor. She is presently outside the lab.]

"Thank you," he said, and it felt rather surreal, that he was about to see a face of old. A yovo face he'd served with before she'd succumbed to injury and put into stasis. It was ironic, how he had ended up the same way, sharing the room in where sickbay kept the stasis chambers - right alongside the Ensign. Only his own injuries had been less substantial, and he'd been thawed before Mia Dunne. Now, the surgical android named V-Nine had managed to treat her, and she had been cleared for duty, so it was with great expectation that he waited for her arrival.

The sliding doors parted, and he smiled - greeting her in his native language like he'd come to do when they saw each other last.

"Oku, Mia Dunne," he said, his short beard moving with his white smile as he spread his arms. "It is good to see you again."

Re: Day 06 [0800 hrs.] Oku, Mia Dunne

Reply #1
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Archaeology and Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Auctor Lucan

Mia had finally been released from the sickbay and was making her way back to the Archaeology Lab. She paused outside the room as memories of the last time she'd been here ran through her head. Mia wondered if all the damage had been repaired. She certainly hoped it had otherwise she'd have a constant reminder of what had happened. Not that she wouldn't be reminded of it just working in the lab. She felt the loss of her crewmates strongly. While it may have been six months ago, for her it was only a few days ago.  She took a deep breath and moved in front of the door to activate the doors.

She stepped into the room and was met with a familiar face. She smiled as Okafor greeted her in his native language. "Oku, Tyreke Okafor! It is indeed a pleasure to see you as well." She moved over to him quickly, her emotions getting the best of her, and proceeded to wrap Tyreke in a hug. "How have you been? " She asked as she stepped back, "Sorry, I guess I shouldn't hug superior officers, but it's so good to see a familiar face. Especially after what V-Nine had told me."

She listened as he related what had happened to him over the past six months. She chuckled a little, "So we were roommates for a bit, and never knew it!" She took a moment to look around the room. She half expected to see the damage, but instead all she saw was the room as if it had just been finished at the shipyard. "It's odd being back here," she said as she slowly made her way around the room. None of the samples she'd been working on were here anymore. She had to guess they'd been destroyed in the explosion. She sighed a little and then turned to look at the Lieutenant, "So who has been working in this lab? It doesn't look like anything is being worked on."

Ensign Mia Dunne   [Show/Hide]

Kelistina (Kel) Kavot Droga   [Show/Hide]

Reply #2
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Archaeology & Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] @Eirual
[Show/Hide]
Waving off the mild concern about hugging a superior officer, Okafor nodded solemnly, because he could imagine what she'd heard after she was thawed. So many had fallen through the course of the mission to expose the Infested, and he'd had a similar reaction when he woke up in the recovery ward. Doctor Nicander had told him about ch'Izanori, and that a common colleague of his and Dunne's had been promoted to Chief Science Officer while he'd been in stasis. Lieutenant Simon Tovarek, whom had later died in the Battle of the Apertures, in the heart of the Azure Nebula. Not knowing how much Dunne had been reading into reports, about who among the original Science Department were still alive, Okafor decided to not linger on that topic. Instead, he spoke of his own experience.

"Eyi oda.... Ara re aya," he had said, his hand on her shoulder and looking into her eyes. "I woke up like you, almost two months ago, learning what you did. We spent months in stasis together, but I was thawed earlier. I learned about the losses. The mission takes its toll, but I have served proudly, and I have faith in the Captain and do my best to help in any way I can."

He watched her then, as she looked around the laboratory, and his smile returned, seeing that she seemed almost eager to return to duty. He had also found reprieve in work, indulging himself in the focus that duty demanded, so that he didn't have to linger on memories of fellow officers that were no longer with them. O rewa gan lobinrin, he thought to himself as he watched her, since it was hardly believable that she'd been so hurt and off her feet for so long. It was like nothing had happened to her.

"Aye, this lab has been all but deserted," he said, leaning against a desk and folding his arms across his chest. "Ef'okan bale,Ile lewa. We've only had one civilian using this lab in your absence, and sparingly so. Her name is Sera vers Aldnoah, and she aids the mission even though she has no billet or rank. She used to be a scavenger, past otherwise unknown. A Caroôn, like Doctor Nicander, only from the Fire Region, I hear. She doesn't comply well to lab etiquette, unfortunately, but she keep all her loot aboard her shuttle, thinking we might steal from her. You might encounter her eventually, and if you find her a bother, you might just send her off to some other lab not in use. She has a very low security clearance, so your work remains untouched."

Pausing, Tyreke realised that she might need to know who ran the department. "Unless you already heard, I am Assistant Chief Science Officer now, and I report to Lieutenant Vanya, whom transferred to us from the USS Cayuga," he said, and in realising how Dunne might not know of that ship yet, he added a brief explanation. "We encountered that ship in the Azure Nebula, and it was under command of Captain Ziegler - the Theurgy's former First Officer until you came aboard, at which point Commander Nerina took her place. Nerina, unfortunately, didn't make it, and Commander Natalie Stark is our First Officer now."

Having said that, Okafor hoped he wasn't overwhelming Mia, so he paused, looking at her. "Bawo lowa?"

OOC:
* Eyi oda.... Ara re aya. = It sucks... but you will be okay.
* Ef'okan bale,Ile lewa = Make yourself at home.
* O rewa gan lobinrin. = You look beautiful.
* Bawo lowa? = How are you?

Reply #3
[Ens Mia Dunne | Archaeology Lab | Vector 2 |Deck 7 | USS Theurgy] ATTN: @Auctor Lucan

His hand upon her shoulder gave her some sense of stability in a world that had gone crazy. Mia smiled up at Okafor in appreciation for that small act even if he did not realize the impact it had on her. Knowing that he had also gone through what she had was somewhat of a comfort.  Not that she would have wished it upon anyone else but having shared similar experiences at least made her feel less of an afterthought. She knew she wasn’t the only one. In fact, she had just been released from medical with another officer who had undergone the same thing. “I am glad that you survived and were able to be restored to life. It’s just hard to realize that so many have been lost, so many friends I never got to know.”

Mia moved about the room as Okafor spoke, her hands lightly touching some of the instruments that were placed on the desk. She glanced up with a confused look when he said a civilian had been using the lab. “I will have to see how we work together before I send her packing. Her talents may be useful, even if she tends to be unorthodox in her methods.” Mia shrugged lightly, “I would suspect that the work I was doing six months ago is now obsolete. There is so much I have yet to read in order to understand what has happened in that time. “ She closed her eyes a moment as the pain of loss hit her once more. While it may have been chronologically half a year since the attack and the explosion that led to her spending all that time in stasis, to her it still felt only a few days had passed. She let herself rest on the corner of the workstation and rubbed her hands across her face. 

As Tyreke continued his discourse on the chain of command for the department she smiled, “I had not been informed of your new position. Congratulations for that, I am certain you are a very good assistant department chief. “ She pushed off the workstation, “I was informed that Lt Vanya was the chief but no more than that, and then only because they needed her to reassign me for duty. But I did not know about where she arrived from, so I appreciate that clarification.” She shook her head at the reminder of what cost their mission was taking. “We can only hope that one day those we lost will be remembered as heroes to the Federation. “ She paused again and took a lightly shuddering breath. So much had happened while she ‘slept’, frozen in time, that it was difficult to come to grips with it all.

She smiled slightly at his question on how she was feeling, “To tell you the truth, I am not quite sure. It’s still so new to me, the pain of loss and feeling a bit out of synch with the world around me.” She turned and looked around the room again, “It’s ... difficult to be in this room right now. I feel sad, and my heart aches for what has been lost. “ She turned to Okafor, her green eyes filled with unshed tears, “Mostly I feel guilty that I am here and they are not. And I feel like...” She shifted her shoulder slightly feeling the slight tug on the scars that would forever remind her of that day, “I am damaged goods now. Not that it should matter in the grand scheme of things, but I feel, no longer completely human, if that makes any sense.”

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]
Hearing Dunne speak about her survivor's guilt and how she felt detached, different, Okafor nodded, recognising some of those feelings as well from the first few days after he'd been thawed.

"Mia," he said quietly, "I empathise. Yet I remind you, however, that you now have your life. Not only that, but the chance to make the most of it. Don't let your guilt keep you from living it. This is difficult for you right now, but it will pass. I assure you of this. This gift of living still... it is such an opportunity. Seize it. Mourn, take your time, but embrace it. Igba dun!"

A hard sell given the timing, her just back on her feet, but Okafor believed in what he said. He walked up to her, remembering hours spent with her, in which he'd hoped to make a deeper connection. He smiled and folded his arms across his chest with an air of mock-chastisement - the creases in the corners of his eyes betraying him.

"Now, you are a scientist, Ensign Dunne. S'onsiere ni? Survivor's guilt is the mental condition that a person goes through when they feel as if they have done something wrong by surviving a traumatic event when others were not as lucky. As a scientist, can you tell me the logic of this? No?" He waggled a finger at her then. "It's because there is none of it. Luck does not deprive you of the right to live. So live! Others are still alive, and we have new blood aboard. So let's live together, and finish what we started at Earth. These aliens will not undermine what Starfleet meant for us once."

He tilted his shaved head and peered at her, his addendum given. "It might just be me, but you do look like a very healthy flesh-and-blood woman to me. What else would you be? Your ears are too small to be Ferengi, I tell you."

Okafor hoped his humour might reach her, like it once did so many months ago.

OOC:
* Igba dun! = Enjoy!
* S'onsiere ni? = Are you crazy?

Reply #5
[Ens. Mia Dunne |Archaeology & Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy] ATTN: @Auctor Lucan

Mia listened to her friend and comrade. Intellectually she knew he was correct that she should not feel guilty for living while the others were not so fortunate, but emotionally it was hard to ignore that fact. Okafor’s little pep talk and his not quite hidden humor during his speech had definitely helped to lift her spirits.

Mia could not help but smile as he gave his announcement on her ‘condition’.  “Yes, Okafor, they are much too small to be Frengei, but they do hear what you are saying.” She let her smile grow slightly as she thought about his assessment, “So,“ she spoke in a slightly teasing voice, “you think I look good, do you?” She chuckled a little, “And here I thought you only saw my intellect.”

She wondered what he would think if he saw the scars that were now a permanent reminder of the loss. “Tell me something,” She asked, feeling a bit awkward, “I don’t know exactly how to phrase this.” She unconsciously rubbed at the cybernetic shoulder even though it felt no different than the other, “you work with cybernetics, so I wonder, do you think those who have them are wrong for feeling not altogether human, or whichever race they may be?  Because that’s sort of how I feel at the moment. And now I have a constant reminder with what I am assuming are horribly ugly scars on my back. How can I get past it when it will be with me always, reminding me that, yes, I was the fortunate one that day. “  

She reached out her hand and placed it on his upper arm, “I know I need to get over it, but..” She dropped her hand and turned away slightly to point to her back, “The scars hidden under this uniform make me feel ...  well,  every time I do something I can feel them pulling. I know it’s not logical but it feels like those who died are constantly trying to remind me.”

Mia turned back to face her old friend and mentor, “Sounds a bit crazy when I say it out loud, doesn’t it?” She sighed slightly, then plastered a happy smile on her face, “Anywhooo," She said using her usual term for 'anyway', "Let’s talk about you for a bit.  What else has been happening? Have you visited the planet? I've always wondered what the Klingon home world was like.” She  moved over and sat on the edge of the desk, “So tell me what you’ve been up to since you woke up.”

Reply #6
[Show/Hide]
Tyreke was glad he managed to make Mia Dunne smile, and not just because of the sight of her smiling (which was rewarding enough alone). Then, however, he found himself called out on his compliment, and what else could he do but confess? "It would be remiss of me to deny my eyes the feast before me, even though I know your greatest qualities are hidden behind your eyes, lẹwa."

She then spoke of the people whom his cybernetics had aided, and how they saw themselves in terms of what they used to be and what they'd become. "Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́, your scars can be healed if they haven't yet received their last topical treatment with dermal regeneration. I can even do that for you, yet as for the philosophical answer to your question, it is not an easy one to give. I cannot speak for those whom I have helped with my craft, but I think you might be considering if the Thesus paradox have come apply to you. Is a ship which has all its parts replaced at the end of its voyage the same ship that set out from harbour? Who knows? It depends on what you determine to be your identity. The parts, or the sum of all of you."

He grinned then, determined to lift her spirits as best as he might. "Are you your shoulder, or are you the bright woman who defied the odds and survived to live again?" He knew he was teasing her somewhat, and as distracting as she was by touching his arm, he remained on topic and gave her a more serious answer. "Alle grappies op n stokkie. I emphasise with your feelings. It must be difficult, and I am just saying that I am confident what you feel is transient. Give yourself some time to process all of this, have the remaining scar tissue treated so that you don't feel this sore stiffness in your organic tissue around the shoulder, and eventually, you will regain your equilibrium. You are among friends, some old and some new. We support each other through this mission. We're here for you, Mia Dunne."

The question about what he had been up to make him chuckle and shake his head, and he went to lean against the same desk she were at. "Well," he said and folded his arms under his chest, "I woke up in time for when the Savi and the Asurians attacked the ship in the Azure Nebula, and after the ship had to split up in order to make a tactical retreat, I ended up as Chief Science Officer of Vector 2. I admit I felt out of my depth, being out of my lab, but I did what I could to aid in the tasks we faced. I helped determine the nature of the apertures which the Borg meant to use to invade Federation space, and also how the ship could safely use an aperture as a means to escape without us all dying from the radiation. Something which came in handy, since we had to outrun the blast that destroyed all the apertures while still inside one of them. We barely made it out to the other side, close to Aldea, before the tunnel collapsed."

Okafor shrugged with one shoulder and looked over towards Mia. "I was not the only scientist tasked to handle the challenges, however, so I cannot take credit. The time at Aldea served well to let the crew rest and recuperate, just like now, when we're orbiting Qo'noS and prepare for the next step of the mission."

OOC:
lẹwa = Beautiful.
Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́ = Please
Alle grappies op n stokkie = All jokes on a stick (all jokes aside)

Reply #7
[ Ens. Mia Dunne |Archaeology & Geology Lab |Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy] ATTN:  @Auctor Lucan

Mia smiled when he admitted he thought she was pretty. And she nodded when he spoke about her guilty feelings being, as he phrased it, transient. He was right, over time it would probably go away, but it was still too new to her at the moment.
She frowned a little at the mention of friends. She didn’t have many of those before the accident, and right now it was like starting over again. She had no friends to speak of other than Tyreke, and maybe Azrin and Zark, but she wasn’t really sure about either of them.

When he spoke about the battles he had been in while she slept, she felt a different kind of guilt for not being there to help. Although what she could have added to the mission she couldn’t tell. Xenoarchaeology and Xenoanthropology probably would not have been very helpful at all. So maybe it was good she was in stasis and not getting in the way, like she surely would have been.

When he said he’d been chief of science for Vector 2 she felt a sense of pride. “Wow,” She said, “Chief of science of the Vector. I am impressed. And I am certain your contribution to the solution was vital to the success of the mission. I’m sad that I did not get to see Aldea though.”

She paused a moment as her mind went over the last part of his statement. “I am not sure how I’ll be able to help, whatever the next step is. If only I had a specimen of the parasite,” she mused mostly to herself. She shook her head to clear her mind, “But, enough of that wishful thinking. Have you met anyone special yet? I would think you would have the ladies, and even some men vying for your affections.” She let a small giggle escape as she turned to face him, “Or at least for your friendship.”

Reply #8
[Show/Hide]
Before Okafor was able to give her the news pertaining to her first task, she switched topic to ask if he was seeing someone - teasing him about both men and women being interested in him. It made him laugh, but he shook his head.

"Thank you for your kind words, lẹwa," he answered, facing her where he leaned on the edge of the desk with a smile, "yet regrettably, my work has left me little opportunity to appreciate such company. The demands in sickbay have me working on numerous cybernetic replacements for their patients. There is no shortage of work needing to be done, organs, eyes and limbs to replace. Whatever time I have to spare, I spend it exercising to keep my health, or cooking food of alien origin or my own."

Tyreke thought about mentioning how Sera vers Aldnoah had outright seduced him that one time when he helped her at Aldea, only for her momentary enjoyment. Of course, it had been enjoyable for him too, but it had felt like she merely used him for a fleeting need rather than actually having any appreciation for his company. The Câroon hadn't spoken with him once after that. All in all, it was an inconsequential matter.

"It is rather amusing that you'd mention a sample. Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́, come and see," he said, and led the way towards the farthest workstation. "Thea, access parasite holo-image on my authorisation. Okafor-Delta-Niner-Two."

[Authorisation accepted. Accessing data,] Thea stated over the intercom, and above the workstation, the holographic image of something truly vile shimmered into existance.

"We have a sample in storage," he told Mia, turning towards her. "This was extracted from an Infested down on Qo'noS. It is a corrupt sample, phased into the insides of the host body, but it is the best and most intact specimen of the parasites we have available. Given it's fused state, it will be a time-consuming task to try and derive any findings from it, excluding the human DNA contamination from it bit by bit... but it is a start."

Tyreke caught himself admiring the profile of Dunne when she looked at the specimen distracted by the realisation that he'd be able to work alongside her again, having been bereft of her company for so many months.

OOC:
lẹwa = Beautiful.
Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́ = Please

Reply #9
[Ens. Mia Dunne |Archaeology & Geology Lab |Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy] ATTN: @Auctor Lucan

Mia smiled as Tyreke spoke about his current relationships or the lack thereof and shook her head, “We are going to have to get you out and about.  I find it interesting that you are cooking alien foods.  But, my friend, you still need to be around others outside of work. Perhaps you could invite someone to share one of those meals you make. I seem to remember some really good food you brought to the lab once for a taste test.”  The fact that he seemed to have buried himself in his work made her sad.  Tyreke was a special person and deserved to have the love and respect of someone special to him. Not just for his work.

When he asked her to follow , she pushed off the desk, curious as to what he had to show her. When the holoimage appeared above the workstation she was both horrified and fascinated. Listening to him as he spoke of it’s origins. “Fused state?” She said quietly, “I take it the host did not survive this extraction,” She said as she studied the vile looking parasite.  Mia nodded in agreement that it would take some time to get any real usable information, “But now we have something with which to work from. We know it’s mutli-phasic, most likely their origin will be difficult to ascertain...” her voice faded off as she studied the image before her. Her mind was already working on what procedures she would need to perform to gather information.

“You have this available in storage,” she asked and then turned to Okafor, “I will need access to the sample, of course. I’ll want to start with whatever data has already been recorded. And then I’ll need a tissue sample for comparison to rule out various species. You said Human DNA so I am going to assume the host was human.  I’ll also need access to his or her medical DNA scans to rule those out.” 

She turned to Tyreke, a huge smile on her face, and her hands moved to his arms as if to pull him in for a hug, “I could sooo kiss you for this! Thank you. I can’t wait to get started!”

Reply #10
[Show/Hide]
Eventually, after her examination of the holo-image, Mia Dunne listed off what she needed in order to begin her research - clearly excited for the work ahead of her. Okafor smiled at the sight and told her what he knew.

"Aye, you will have access to the sample. It is currently kept in a stasis unit to prevent cellular decomposition and your security clearance should already grant you the access you need to retrieve tricorder data from when it was scanned, along with the DNA scan of the human host. Since you asked, your assumption was correct. The host didn't make it," Tyreke said and leaned back against the edge of the workstation, hands resting on top of it while he explained. The image was obun, and he preferred looking at Mia.

"V-Nine, a sigidi, and our former Chief Science Officer were - with the consent from Doctor Nicander - able to isolate the phase variance in which the parasites existed, and armed with this knowledge, an anyon emitter can now be used to phase the parasites into our reality. Unfortunately, since they are inside the bodies of the hosts... their matter take up the same physical space, and end up fused with their internal organs." Tyreke sighed, shaking his head. "A week ago, an Infested Klingon Councillor survived for a minute or so because of their organ redundancy, but I think any other host won't be able to survive it. Until we are able to use the phase variance to beam the parasites and the hosts apart with a transporter, anyon particles are the only effective defence we have."

Okafor frowned, thinking about the hosts. "It's... ethically problematic, obviously, but if we're unable to lock them up somehow, the Infested are so dangerous there is little more we can do at this point to survive an encounter with them. I wish Vael Kaeris hadn't died, so that the research into a transporter solution wasn't halted. Then again," he said, and looked at Mia with a small smile, "perhaps with your findings, that project stand a chance at being completed."

The elation Mia felt seemed to overwhelm her, and she moved to hug Okafor. With his arms on the desktop, he didn't stop her, instead running his own arms around her in kind while laughing. "Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́, iẹwa... I would be the last one to object, though regulations may have a thing or two to say about that," he said after they parted a bit in the embrace, and he looked her in the eye, "I have missed you, and I am glad to have you back."

OOC:
sigidi = robot
Obun = disgusting
Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́ iẹwa = Please, beautiful.

Reply #11
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Archaeology & Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy |  Attn: @Auctor Lucan

Mia laughed as Tyreke  spoke about regulations. She shook her head in amusement even as she welcomed the touch of another living being, or at least one that wasn’t carting her off to the brig. Looking up into his eyes she smiled, “I am glad to be back. I would say I missed you too, for me it’s only been a few days . But I really do feel so happy to see you here.” Before Tyreke could move further in the embrace she pulled him closer and gave him another big hug. She rested her head on his chest for the moment as she listened to the sound of his heart beating.
She picked up her head and smiled, “I think those regulations mean you can’t initiate contact. But, I am sure someone would  have to complain.” She stepped back slightly and moved her right hand to his left cheek, “Has anyone ever told you how special you are? “ She smiled and lowered her arm to rest on his.

She stepped out of the embrace and looked towards the holographic display once more, “I am going to want to get as much information on these things as possible.  I wonder if there is any evidence of the creature on the surface,” She said quietly, “there were two of them there, there could be more we don’t know about elsewhere.” She shook her head at that thought, “I just pray We’ll be able to learn from this sample.”  She started to walk away but turned back to Tyreke who was still resting on the edge of the workstation. “Thank you for giving me a way to help against these things,” She said and in a quick motion she stepped closer and stood on her toes and gave him a quick kiss.

Reply #12
[Show/Hide]
When asked if someone had told him how special he was, Okafor chuckled and shook his head, indeed not having been told anything of the kind.

The close presence of Dunne rendered him rather self-conscious. The feeling of her hugging him and being so close whilst he remained trapped against the edge of the desk made him hope no one stepped through the sliding doors and caught them - the situation becoming rather embarrassing and hard to explain. It would have been easy to get the wrong impression about what was going on. The feeling of her hands on him, on his arm, certainly didn't help matters, and he swallowed a little since he felt his mouth getting a tad dry from her warmth.

Stilling his nerves a bit, Mia eventually stepped away, and began to talk about the parasites again, and wondered if there were more on Qo'noS.

"If there are, Chancellor Martok knows how to screen Klingons of high influence with anyon emitters now, and they are prepared to deal with them too since he has - personally fought them before. I am confident we, the crew of the Theurgy, don't have to act pest-control for them." In regard to her comment about hoping to learn from the sample, Okafor nodded. "Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́, I am confident that you will be able to shed some light on what these things truly are, how they work and where they came from. Were they created or do they appear to have a natural, evolutionary biology? It seems to me the theories are many, but the answers are very few."

It was completely unexpected, however, what happened next, since while he thought the lingering heat of her close presence had abated, she was suddenly right there again - pinning him against the edge of the desk with her body. He felt his eyes momentarily widen, but as if on their own accord, he felt his own arms settle around her waist - as if to make sure to keep his balance in the sudden - if minor - commotion of her kiss. And it was a kiss unexpected, lasting both too long and to short in different kinds of senses, where his wishes as a superior officer and as a man were in utter conflict.

"S'onsiere ni?" he said with a chuckle, clearing his throat and forgetting how his arms remained around her. "I can hardly take credit, however. It was Deputy zh'Wann, remember her? She and many other officers worked together to subdue this Infested they found in the Federation Embassy."

This was when he realised he was still embracing Dunne, and he hastily let go of her, having been pressing her against himself with the weight of his arms. "I, ahem, my apologies... I..." he said, and scratched the back of his neck, unsure where he ought to direct his eyes since she took up the majority of his field of vision. "For... the record, you are rather special yourself, though I am certain you are already aware of this."

OOC:
Ẹ Jọ̀ọ́ = Please.
S'onsiere ni? = Are you crazy?

Reply #13
[Ens. Mia Dunne |  Archaeology & Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy ] ATTN: @Auctor Lucan

Mia liked the way his arms had wrapped around her, even though it was more a reflex to keep from getting knocked over by her sudden movement. Mia grinned up at him, still feeling the comforting weight of his arms around her, “Hmm, Well maybe I am a little crazy. Isn’t that why we are called ‘Mad Scientists’?” She nodded, “Yes I do remember her. Maybe I could speak with her to figure out a way to isolate the parasite without killing the host. “
When his arms dropped she almost felt bereft, even though the loss of the human touch was expected. She stepped back slightly to give Oku his space. “No, my friend, I am the one who owes you an apology,” She said as she shook her head, “And  I am not special, I am just an ordinary little fish in a very big lake. Other than my work, I don’t think anyone really notices me.” She shrugged her shoulders a little. “So, I think I would like to go to the planet and look at where they ...discovered the sample. If it hasn’t been sterilized, I might be able to get some data from the area.” She turned to look at the image and shook her head, “It is rather ugly, but it still reminds me of the Trill symbiot to a certain extent.” 

She moved over to pick up a PADD and jot down some notes on her thoughts. Was it a form of Trill Symbiot from another dimension? What similarities were there?  She looked at Tyreke again, “I think we have to figure out just how they can get into a host and yet maintain the link while not in phase.  I think that will be the critical part of the puzzle.”

OOC
I must apologize for my lack of positing. It has been a difficult month. Got bad news on my Step dad's health, got hurt at work, and then my sister decided to hold a surprise birthday party for Step-dad in Florida. Hectic travel planning on the spur of the moment with arm in a sling. So Much fun! NOT!!!

Reply #14
[Show/Hide]
"Agreed," Okafor said, glancing at the holographic image of the thing. "You'll find in the reports that Doctor Nicander has detailed how he was abducted and taken somewhere in which the parasite was not out of phase. How the abduction happened, he doesn't know, beyond how he woke up somewhere else. It is clear however, that the parasite retains some - or all - of its abilities to affect the host when he is returned to our existence. Nicander seems to be as forthcoming as he can be, since he is the only Infested that has a severed connection with the parasite inside him."

Realising that he likely gave Mia Dunne a lot to contemplate, he smiled at her. "Like I said, it is a lot, so take your time and read, and if there are any further questions, I'll answer them to my best ability. For now, however, I should let you get situated."

Having said as much, Okafor wanted to linger, though he knew it wasn't proper to indulge in the thoughts and feelings he found himself harbouring towards Mia. He paused in the doorway, clearing his throat. "If you want company for lunch, later on, I'd be happy to accompany you. Until then," he said and gave her a wink, "welcome back."

Unless she stopped him, he would leave her in her lab, but he greatly looked forward to seeing her again.

Reply #15
[Ens. Mia Dunne | | Archaeology & Geology Lab | Deck 07 | Vector 2 | USS Theurgy] ATTN: @Auctor Lucan
Mia nodded almost distractedly as Tyreke spoke about Dr Nicander. The name was familiar but she wasn’t sure if she’d ever met him.  “I’ll have to look at those reports in more detail, I think,” she said as she added more notes to the PADD. The list of things she would need to read or investigate further was growing quickly. Mia looked up as Okafore headed for the door, “Lunch sounds wonderful. Just let me know when you are available. I’ll try not to get so involved in my research that I completely zone out.” She chuckled a bit, knowing full well that she was prone to doing just that at times.

Her smile faded as Tyreke left her alone with her thoughts. The first thing she needed to do was research. With that in mind she decided to head out to the library. Hopefully there would be information already stored on the parasites so she would not be duplicating any experiments.
There was so much to learn about what had transpired over the last six months and she vaguely wondered how long it would take her to really get caught up.

Or even if she ever would.

- FIN -

Simple Audio Video Embedder