Skip to main content
Topic: CH04: S [D05|1626] Climbing Techniques (Read 3386 times) previous topic - next topic

CH04: S [D05|1626] Climbing Techniques

Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day 05 | 1626 hrs. ] Climbing Techniques

[ Ens Cameron Henshaw | Gymnasium | USS Theurgy | Deck 08 | Vector 02 ] Attn: @Jm Von Cat

Cameron had just rotated off shift and decided that some climbing might give her some mental peace. She had first gone to her quarters to change her attire before going out for a run. Instead of going to one of the holodecks to have a scene set up for a run, she had first ran through the corridors of Sword to lose most of her tension. Wearing a pair of black and green yoga pants with a matching tank top she entered the gymnasium. It had been less busy there since the decoupling from the other vectors. In fact, the entire ship had been less busy. Or at least that's how it felt for her.

She strolled past a few sporters before she stopped by the climbing wall. There was one person already on it, bouldering his way up. She followed his movements and smiled as she saw him move more diagonally instead of straight up like most male climbers "Smart.." she whispered to herself as she admired his handiwork from down below. She crossed her arms and licked her lips as she tried to plot the route ahead for him. The Bajoran clearly seemed to know what he was doing. Yet as he reached out for a piece Cameron shouted "Hey climber! What if you tried that orange block to your right?"

It wasn't meant to be a taunting shout out, or a know it better one. It was just a path that would take him on a more challenging route. One where he could use a spotter to tell him which way he could take. By doing so, he could focus entirely on the bouldering itself instead of having to think and plot out a route for himself "I can guide you if you want, sorry if I broke your concentration." she added as she realized it might come across as bossy in the end.

Re: Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day 05 | 1426 hrs. ] Climbing Techniques

Reply #1
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Gymnasium | Deck 08 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Nolan
[Show/Hide]
Ridun had found himself with a period of downtime, yet sleep eluded all his attempts at ensuring it. And so he was here, in the Gymnasium, bouldering across the rock wall with practiced movements. Or at least, that's how the movements would come across to the common eye. To someone with possession of a keener eye than most, there were the telltale signs of exertion beyond what one might expect. The grey tank top he wore was lightly darkened with sweat, although the visibility of this was offset by his similarly dark pants.

"Hey climber! What if you tried that orange block to your right?"
The unexpected call out did prompt the Bajoran to alter his movement, taking the identified orange block into his grip and adjusting his stance upon the wall appropriately to follow up on such an action. These movements carried along parallel to the woman's next words, a rather unexpected offer to spot for him. "Nothing to apologize for, good shout." Ridun offered a slight nod towards the orange block now in his hand before leaning back out from the wall, his arms straightening and 'locking' to allow him to more or less hang back and rest.

From his new resting position, Ridun was able to look at the woman whom had spoken. "I do appreciate the offer, always nice to have another perspective..." He hesitated slightly after those words, before continuing with a question "I don't, know you, do I?" It might seem almost rude to ask, but her demeanor came across to the young Bajoran as one of familiarity. With that in mind was it really to far of a call to say his memory might have taken a blow when his body did? A bitter thought he did his best to purge as he awaited and listened to her reply.

Re: Chapter 04: Supplemental [ Day 05 | 1626 hrs. ] Climbing Techniques

Reply #2
[ Ens Cameron Henshaw | Gymnasium | USS Theurgy | Deck 08 | Vector 02 ] Attn: @Jm Von Cat 

The climber seemed to think about grabbing onto the orange brick before he actually executed the shout out with a rather graceful move. It brought a smile on Cameron's face as she looked for a new path for the climber as he complimented her on the good shout out. He locked on and simply hung there as he looked down at the yeoman.

She nodded as he spoke up again, mentioning different perspectives and she smiled a little more "It's no trouble really, always nice to see a fellow climber make the best out of it." she answered before she shook her head at his hesitating question "I don't think we have. Name's Cameron Henshaw, how about you?" she asked as she chewed on her lip. Her mind eliminating possible routes to take for the climber.

"I think if you grabbed on to that lime green next, you could use the purple piece to push off and scale the inverted bit."
she advised him "Of course, it's up to you if you think you can make it. If not, I can try and spot you a different path." she offered as she placed both her hands in the back of her neck as she peered up.

Reply #3
[ PO1 Varder Ridun | Gymnasium | Deck 08 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Nolan
[Show/Hide]
The woman whom had volunteered herself as spotter identified herself as Cameron Henshaw, not a familiar name to his ears. Ruling out her position within security, not that it was important, more of a curiosity. Regardless, she had given her name in full, so he replied in kind  "Varder Ridun, well met." He offered a small nod towards her, a motion made awkward by his present position upon the wall.

This small gesture of acknowledgment was followed by his return to a climbing stance as Cameron outlined a route for him to attempt. His eyes followed her directions, spotting the holds she described. It could be difficult, climbing an overhang like that requires some serious upper body strength and endurance, things that the young Bajoran was not entirely sure he possessed to the extent he used to.

He made up his mind, there is no better way to know than to try. "I see your spots and I can certainly try, prophets know I could do that before." His words said Ridun was able to rather nimbly move across to the green, then towards the purple from where he did as Cameron had recommended. Push off for momentum into the small overhang, the place of the true test.

His initial progress into the overhang was somewhat steady, but Ridun heavily favored his right side and his progress slowed until an eventual halt. He hung for a moment, yet it felt like an eternity.
"Climber off wall." he called out,
just prior to letting go,
to falling.

Reply #4

The name didn't exactly ring a bell with Cameron either, which wasn't that surprisingly as she couldn't possibly remember the names of everyone on board the ship. She laughed softly as he tried to greet her, yet made an awkward move considering the stance and position he was in. Her eyes were glued on him as he started to execute the predesignated path set up by her. It wasn't the easiest path by a long shot, yet Cameron had wondered how well the Bajoran would do.

"Out of practice?" she called out to him as he told her he'd try at least, yet was unsure of the outcome. The yeoman was clearly unaware that the man had been thawed recently. It didn't show though as he made his way over from color to color. Seemingly unchallenged and using the momentum as a benefit. Cameron stepped a little closer to the wall as she gazed up. The climber however slowed down though on the overhang, coming to a stop and Cameron shook her head "What are you doing..." she whispered to herself before he shouted out he'd come off wall.

She took a safe distance from the wall as he let go and came tumbling down. The gymnasium sensors doing their job as a gel like matter materialized and impacted the blow. The material dissolved instantly and ended up placing Varder on just a standard safety mat. Cameron ran up to him and she knelt down next to him "You alright Varder?" she asked, with a minor sound of concern in her voice. Her brown oaken eyes looking in his as she brought out a hand to his shoulder.

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]
The whole idea of being this injured was still alien, still something that happened to others. It was something he had seen happen often enough, yet when it came to him.. He could not recall the injury occurring, just a sudden darkness. Then he was back, with months missing and organs he was not born with. Months were not the only thing missing, many others were gone while he had been taking a frost nap. It all compounded to some sense of uselessness and failure.

And so Ridun fell, although not with such absentmindedness that he forgot the safeties on how to drop. His body contorting almost automatically to allow for a staggered or rolling impact into the safety gel. From there he simply lay, sprawled out on his back as the gel dissipated and left him upon the mats below. As Cameron ran up and knelt he simply took and slowly released a deep breath with his eyes closed, only flicking them open as he felt a hand upon his shoulder.

"I'm fine, just.. not where I once was." He made a shrugging gesture, although it was muted by the fact he was on his back. Then he placed a hand over the source of his trouble upon his left side before speaking again, "I have been out for a while, guess I need to catch up on this too..." Ridun brought his free hand up to his face, then down it slowly and firmly, as if he was wiping it clean of grime. Then he attempted to push himself up into a sitting position.

Reply #6

"Not been climbing recently?" she asked as he shrugged that he hadn't been where he once was and that he'd been out for a while. She had no clue that he had just been defrosted. She couldn't know really and so she made the assumption that the man had been too tied up in work. Unable to find the time to relax or not finding the time to come here and to scale the walls. Slowly Cameron's hand let go of his shoulder as he seemingly wiped his face.

She had concluded that the man was fine from his fall and she looked up at the wall now as she licked her lips "I have to admit, this wall isn't as tricky as the one we have on the gymnasium on Vector 01." she informed him. Her eyes darting over the colored rocks and handles as she plotted a route for herself "But... That's the fun of it really? Don't you agree?" she smiled as she stood up and stretched herself. In the meantime Varder managed to get seated as the air seemingly circulated back into his lungs.

She was determined to do some climbing herself and she looked down at the Bajoran before extending her hand to him to help him up. "Care to join me for a second try?" she suggested as she was getting itchy to get on the wall. It was a true game of patience, endurance and wits.

Reply #7
[Show/Hide]
"You could say that" was the simple reply offered by Ridun towards the question about his climbing habits. As she further spoke about the differences between this gym and the other the Bajoran was gathering himself to rise, still listening, but using the time to an advantage. Then came a question, one which he delayed in answering until he had pushed himself into a seated position. "The challenge is the fun." That may not have been exactly what Cameron was meaning, but it was the only answer Ridun could provide. The challenge of the task, the ability to complete it. It was hard to describe why it was enjoyable, many such things often are.

Ridun took the offered helping hand, managing to get himself up fairly quickly with Cameron's assistance. This vertical movement was met at its end with a suggestion of climbing together. "I shall try to keep up, injuries allowing" He spoke with a spark of excitement in his words as he too began to quickly eye up a route, "I believe the expression amongst your people is 'ladies first'". After all, he had yet to see how this woman handled herself on the wall, what techniques she applied, what was trained and what was instinct. Small things, small things for the always larger picture.

Reply #8

A chuckle left Cameron before she nodded as Varder mentioned that the challenge is the fun of it. Quite a true expression as the young ensign kept trailing her eyes over the possible paths and obstacles on their way. When Varder managed to get back on his feet Cameron looked him over before he agreed to try and keep up with her. She could tell by the look in his eyes that the man was excited for the new climb and she laughed softly "Very well."

He instructed her to go first as the Earthly saying went and she gave him a nod as she smirked, giving him a sly look by looking over her shoulder before she choose her starting point. Choosing to start from on the wall instead of using the ground to push her off, Cameron positioned herself on the left side of the wall before she used her muscles to hoist herself up into a more comfortable position that would prevent burning up energy from the initial start. she moved sideways before climbing the first few meters up. She held position there to see how Varder would be doing.

"So Varder... Can you keep up?" she asked teasingly as she hung herself comfortably off the wall "What department do you serve in?" she asked to keep the small talk going. Her eyes looking over a more challenging path as she wondered if she wouldn't stretch the abilities of the man climbing up to her position.

Reply #9
[Show/Hide]
Varder counted slowly up to five as the Ensign moved with what he would describe as catlike agility, her technique was one of efficiency. Waste not and want not was a brief thought that flickered to mind before he himself began his own ascent of the wall. His own start was much the same as hers, finding a low hold on which to place a foot and starting from there. The angular method of climbing he used resulted in a rather zigzagged accent, but it was one that indeed did manage to keep up with Cameron, being only a brief few movements lower than her as she posed her question in a teasing manner.

His response to her question was in his expression and action rather than any words as he manoeuvred himself up the wall to be parallel to her, a playful smirk present upon his face as he found a hold to lean back and hang from. "What department do you serve in?" A simple enough and straightforward question, the only delay in an answer being provided was Varder pulling himself back to the wall. Once that was complete, "Security, stand still until you need to sprint. What of yourself?" Having given his reply he quickly made some further progress up the wall, continuing in his zigzagged style up the next couple of meters.

Reply #10

They had managed to reach one third of the wall scaling attempt as Varder positioned himself parallel with Cameron. She smirked at his answer and nodded as she glanced him over before looking back up to the wall "I'm serving as the captain's yeoman. Though I also work at flight ops." she answered him as she looked back into his eyes. "What's it like to be in security?" she asked, knowing what security entailed, yet wanting to know how the crewman experienced being on Theurgy's security force.

She waited for his answer and nodded in silence before she began to climb further "Ever wanted any other position aboard the ship?" she asked as she paced herself. She was moving slower though more calculated as the sweat began to pearl on her face and a shine of sweat covered her body. It seemed to get harder, yet Henshaw wasn't someone who'd give up immediately. It was getting harder to keep her grip as steady as before though due to the sweating and she reached down a satchel to cover her hands with some chalk

Reply #11
[Show/Hide]
"I'm serving as the captain's yeoman. Though I also work at flight ops." That was certainly an unexpected position to hear one in, especially given that it was one that was not filled prior to his going on ice. The brief look he provided in Cameron's direction displayed some of his thoughts on this, reflecting some element of confusion mixed with curiosity. Although this was met with a question from her, "What's it like to be in security?" prompting the Bajoran to drop the subject and offer a reply. "Its a lot of hurry up and wait, a decent amount of being brushed off as a thug. Short summary, given climbing." He offered a small grin, his pace has slowed as he spoke becoming a lot more of a methodical advance than a rapid ascent.

Then was her next question, a curious one but simple in what was required to answer, "Never, this is what I know I am good at. How I can best help others." After having spoken those words Varder became rather keenly aware of just how cheesy and perhaps insincere that answer sounded, although he took no action to change his words. Instead rationalizing that he did indeed feel that way, however she took it mattered little to what he knew of himself.

"What of you, would you seek another position aboard the ship?"

Reply #12

She had to laugh about his comment about being brushed off as a thug, she could only nog as he had given her a short summary given their climbing exercise. Cameron moved ahead slowly before she waited for his next answer and hung loosely along a steady point. She could understand why he'd not opt for a career change. If one found a job that fitted him perfectly, why switch? She got the question bounced back to her and she thought about it.

"Hard to tell really... I like the current job description I'm holding. yet I've worked as a counselor before too on previous postings." she told him before she looked around for her next avenue to climb the wall "I suppose there's no point in changing jobs when you're good at what you do right?" she told him before she continued her climb.

Eventually Cameron couldn't reach higher then the angled slope. She waited on Varder to see how far he could go, finding herself a decent spot to hold on to. She was quite impressed with how he managed to move himself along despite him being out of the scene for so long.

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder