Skip to main content
Topic: 2 Runabout Name Suggestions, Please! (Read 6938 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2 Runabout Name Suggestions, Please!

Reply #1
If these are Daunbe class runabouts like we saw on Deep Space 9, these runabouts will be named after Earth rivers.  May I suggest easy to remember names like the USS Mississippi or the USS Missouri.  Names that have already been officially used on TNG or DS9:  USS Gander • USS Ganges • USS Mekong • USS Orinoco • USS Rio Grande • USS Rubicon • USS Shenandoah • USS Volga • USS Yangtzee Kiang • USS Yukon.

Reply #2
Have all Runabouts been named after rivers, or just those on DS9? I can't rme

I know in the Titan book series they left the naming of the auxiliary craft to the Captains discretion, and Riker went with famous musicians, like Louis Armstrong.  That said, I'm all for sticking with River names, to keep with that theme. USS James, USS York, USS Thames, USS Nile USS Amazon. All could work well.

Reply #5
Perhaps we are using Matterhorn class runabouts.  We changed the Theurgy from a Prometheus class to our own class of ship so why not create our own runabout too?  It will allow us to make a decent map for the interior of the little ship as well.  If we do that we can name the runabouts names like the USS Fuji and USS Kilimanjaro.

Reply #6
There was also the Yellowstone - class from that one alt uni episode of Voyager that later got introduced in STO that we could bogart. But I'm all for a new class for our new ship. Matterhorn - class works for me.

Reply #7
In Sinead's wiki, she served on board the USS Onyx, a Runabout. If memory serves me right, Onyx is the name of a river too. You could use that. Maybe the ship had been refitted and transferred over to the Theurgy after the Dominion War.

I can suggest other river names.

Tigris
Euphratis
Brahmaputra
Beas
Indus
Ravi
Yamuna
Narmada
Godavari
Danube

Reply #8
I agree with mountain names.  Everest and McKinley would be my suggestions.  Alternative suggestions: Matterhorn, Hood, St. Helens, Fuji, Kiliminjaro, Denali, Annapurna... heck, why limit to Earth?  Olympus Mons (Mars), Seleya (Vulcan), Tar'Hana (Volcano, Vulcan), Kola (Bajor), Kri'stak (Volcano, Qo'nos)...

Reply #9
Marquez served on the original River Program during his Ensign years, first-generation Danubes. During the prototype era before the some of the first working deployment models were sent to DS9, I fancannoned a situation where he argued with other members of the development team for noteworthy names of notable off-road 'antiques', akin to George Kirk's Red Corvette.

Wrangler*
Cherokee
Apache
Comanche
Steppenwolf

Rivers (It was once called the 'river' project):

Rio Grande-A
Potomac
Hudson
Los Angeles 
(yes, Los Angeles has its own river. Here's hoping its future is tidier.)

fittingly, those 'antiques' namesakes were capable of conquering both rivers and mountains.
-- and yes, the Yellowstone was my longtime go-to before getting the Caitian Stalker-class Fighter.
* I nominate this one for the Argo; I can personally vouch for the name being apropos, it doesn't need roads...
DeLorean  ... nah.

Lt. Commander Leon "Striker" Marquez
Chief Tactical Officer, USS Theurgy
"No one left behind."

Ensign James "Jimmy" Mariner
Security Officer, USS Theurgy
"Showtime!"

Lieutenant (J.G.) Alessia "Angel" Garcia
Valravn Fighter Pilot, USS Theurgy
"You're not the only one with a gun,"

Reply #10
Personally I don't see a need to have a new class of runabout.

Rivers and mountains certainly have enough inspiration for us to name two Runabouts. Tigris is one that I especially like.

However if we're naming a pair, I think that if one has a roll-bar and one doesn't then we should name them the Great Ouse and the Little Ouse  :p

Reply #11
I don't mind how we call the runabouts. Both rivers and mountains have their touch to it. All the same to me.

Reply #12
We have stupid river names in Australia.. like:

Snowy River.. coz it snows at the start
Goulburn River.. coz it starts in Golburn Catchment.
Brisbane River.. coz it goes through Brisbane.
Yarra River.. coz it goes through Yarra Valley

Although, there is always the Moonie River.. that's funny.

We have some funny mountain names:
Mount Despair
Mt Buggery

But if we do mountains, I know one we have to do.

Mount Tenpō, Japan.. It is 16 feet tall.. literally. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tenp%C5%8D

I am a member of the Mount Tenpō expedition society, and have a certificate that cost 100 yen.

Reply #13
Yarra and Yuba, two perfect names for Danube class runabouts, I love it.  Short, easy to spell, and they sound like the names of aliens.  Those two names are overqualified. 

Reply #14
Well, after reviewing all these excellent suggestions, and with me not having the time to make new shuttles for the Theurgy (even if I love the idea of a Matterhorn-class shuttle), let's go with rivers, and I pick these:

The USS Thames and the USS Tigris. A preference in phonetics, really, with them being aboard the (T)heurgy.

As for the Argo... I am still undecided. Care to throw in some more suggestions there? In the case of the Argo, there is no need to keep to rivers (or mountains), right?

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #15
[Show/Hide]
I doubt the Argo follows the traditions of the Runabouts, the class name itself follows more to Greek myths. The Argo was the name of the ship built by Jason and the Argonauts.

A lofty name all things considered, it entails a great deal of heritage, even legend. Yet I say it fits considering its rugged quality and the fact it is a workhorse and a sort of portable workstation with multi-role abilities.

Taking its class name and the meaning of the word Theurgy into considering, I suggest these:
  • Hercules
  • Thompson
  • Thallo (one of the Horae, goddesses of weather, time and prosperity)
  • Titus
  • Tutty Baker

Reply #16
I would argue that the Argo is a shuttle craft rather than its own vessel. (runabouts have NCC numbers, shuttle do not)

The convention of naming shuttles is that the captain names them after famous people he wants. That's why there are shuttles and auxiliary craft called Sagan and Cousteau.  So I guess it's a question of who would Ives name shuttles after.

Further to this. Shuttles also had names of production staff on there as a nice Easter egg. Such as the shuttle Berman in TNG. Could be fun for those of us wanting to throw names in there to get a little something?

Reply #18
I am sorry, but.. well. Just blame the Aussie.

Shuttle McShuttleface

Or could use pet animal names..

When I was young, I had a bunny rabbit that I called Mixxy.. It took my mum a few weeks to realise it was short for Myxomatosis, a fatal rabbit disease.

Reply #19

As for the Argo... I am still undecided. Care to throw in some more suggestions there? In the case of the Argo, there is no need to keep to rivers (or mountains), right?

Best,

Auctor Lucan

(Dramatically)
The Wrangler.

Named after a powerful Terran Off-Roading machine specifically designed to boldly go where no one has gone before... without leaving the planet.

(Josie, note the accents)

Take it from a proud owner of a Wranger: There's no question the Argo's engineers at some point looked to this vessel for inspiration.

[Show/Hide]

Just saying.
Lt. Commander Leon "Striker" Marquez
Chief Tactical Officer, USS Theurgy
"No one left behind."

Ensign James "Jimmy" Mariner
Security Officer, USS Theurgy
"Showtime!"

Lieutenant (J.G.) Alessia "Angel" Garcia
Valravn Fighter Pilot, USS Theurgy
"You're not the only one with a gun,"

Reply #20
Lol, thanks for the laughs. Well, I can see the sense in Wrangler, but the Argo is more than just the "jeep" itself. It's the shuttle we are naming, after all.

Unless there are other suggestions, I think we can stick to Tesla?

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #22
Tesla.

Tornado.

Taco Grande.

Trinitrotoluene.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

That's a real word. Look it up.  :p

I hope you pick number 5. Because I want to see the face of whoever has to say that ship's name more than once in one sentence.

Simple Audio Video Embedder