Skip to main content
Topic: USS Cayuga - Minor Procedures (Read 6319 times) previous topic - next topic

USS Cayuga - Minor Procedures

Science Officer Vanya| Cargo Bay| 2 months before the Borg Attack
Attn: @Fife

She quickly scanned the cargo bay computer display.   The duty roster she had seen said that there was no one due here, but she had to be sure.   She was about to use her enhanced vision to scan the entire bay when another wave of dizziness overtook her.   It felt as if she were standing upside down, relative to her actual position.   She imagined that if she had a normal stomach instead of a micro powerplant, she would have probably reproduced her entire lunch by now.   Finally the dizziness passed and she decided not to waste any more time.   She headed over to the toolkits  

There was nothing wrong with her taking one of course, she was rated to operate every tool in that box.   However, if she did take the box, it would be logged by the computer, and there was every chance that the chief engineer would discuss why she needed it   Her quarters were sparse of personal possessions, and every system in her room required an engineer to repair   No, there was precious little option, she had to perform the procedure here.  

She moved to the back of the cargo bay where she thought she would be obscured from view if anyone came in.   She unfasted her uniform top, then removed her undershirt.   Topless, she didn’t feel vulnerable at her lack of dress, but felt vulnerable at her weakness.   After taking a second to enjoy the cool air of the cargo bay against her bare flesh, she knelt down behind a stack of barrels, and leant forwards.   Her hands shaking, she tried to angle a microtransporter unit above her back. 

This time another wave of dizziness, she felt as if she were being dragged across the cargo bay backwards   She knew it was a result of the low level malfunctions, however, she instinctively lurched forward to “resist” going backwards, and fell into a heap .  

As she let the wave of disorientation pass, she felt mortified as her ears picked up the sound of footsteps coming from across the cargo bay.  

Re: USS Cayuga - Minor Procedures

Reply #1
[ CPO Ekon Okotie-Eboh | Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga | 2 Months before Borg attack ] Attn: @Veridian

Chief Eboh was not usually one to “work” during his down time, but today found him doing just that. Lieutenant Mason had asked him to find a crate of Andorian ale that he had purchased at the last Starbase that the Cayuga had stop at before heading for the Azure Nebula. When Ekon had initially agreed to get the ale out of storage Lt. Mason had neglected to mention the fact that he had bought it from a somewhat shady source and hadn’t logged it into the ship’s manifest. Or the fact that he had forgotten which crate it was in. And so it was that Ekon found himself noting each crate’s inventory number and referencing it against the manifest in the hopes of finding the one that didn’t show up in the inventory.

He had better let me have a bottle for the touble... Ekon thought to himself as yet another crate proved not to be the one containing the ale. Ekon sighed and moved on to the next crate, silently wondering to himself if he was going to have to resort to opening every crate in the cargo bay before he found the right one. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard movement from the far side of the cargo bay, near where they kept many of the spare took kits. Ekon put it out of his mind, assuming it was just a crewman grabbing some component or tool that was required for a job. Then he heard more movement and what sounded like someone falling, and decided he better investigate. He put the PADD he was holding down on a crate and began walking across the cargo bay, weaving around the various containers and shelves which littered the space. The sound had seemed to come from the rear of the cargo bay, so Ekon made his way in that direction. Initially he saw nothing, and so called out as he continued in towards the rear of the bay.

“Hello? Is somebody there?” The rumble of Ekon’s deep voice carried easily through the still air of the cargo bay, “Mason, is that you? If you’ve remembered where you put the ale…” Ekon trailed off as he neared the rear of the bay and still saw no sign of anyone. Had he been imagining the sounds he heard? No, he was sure it hadn’t been his imagination. And he hadn’t heard anyone leave as he searched, which meant whoever had made the noise was still in here. He was about to turn around and go back to his search for the Andorian ale when he noticed a uniform tunic and shirt lying on top of some barrels at the very back of the bay.

I swear, if Crewman Halliday is skipping out on his duties to fraternize with one of the nurses again… Ekon thought and he strode quickly towards the barrels, intent of giving Halliday a good dressing down for shirking his duties yet agian.

Reply #2
Science Officer Vanya| Cargo Bay| 2 months before the Borg Attack
Attn: @fife

"Hello? Is somebody there?" The rumble of Ekon's deep voice carried easily through the still air of the cargo bay, "Mason, is that you? If you've remembered where you put the ale..."

Vanya’s heart sank.   She hated being so vulnerable and weak in front of another, especially in front of a member of the crew.   This was the reason why she had been working in secret to begin with   Happily the latest wave of dizziness had clear.   She decided to be honest as she could allow herself.   While she wasn’t ashamed or afflicted with modesty about her body, she understood that many organic species, particularly humans, saw nudity as a taboo.   She wrapped her left arm over her bare breasts and sat up to face Ekon.  

“Chief, hello” she said, trying to act as casual as possible.   Her position as an officer might give her some leverage in this situation.   “I am currently performing low level repairs.   I would prefer to keep my privacy in this matter, so if you don’t mind leaving the cargo bay, and maintaining discretion over this matter, I would be most…”

As if by magic, she felt another shock in her system.   This time, instead  pf nausea, her left arm straightened and raised above her head as if she were an school girl raising her hand to ask a question  

“…grateful.” She finished, trying to maintain her dignity  

Reply #3
[ CPO Ekon Okotie-Eboh | Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga ] @Veridian

Chief Eboh’s stride faltered as a mostly naked Lieutenant Vanya came into view from behind the barrels. She held her left arm across her bare chest, covering her breasts, but even so it would have been understating the matter to say the Chief Eboh was shocked. Chief Eboh’s mouth remained open, having stopped mid-sentence, and his mind worked to come up with a plausible explanation as to why the officer before him was half naked in a cargo bay.

"Chief, hello,” The Lieutenant greeted him in an almost casual manner. At least as casually as she could given the circumstances. Ekon had heard rumors that the Romulan android had a habit of greeting people while naked in her quarters, but this particular situation seemed to be taking it a bit far. “I am currently performing low level repairs.” She continued, ”I would prefer to keep my privacy in this matter, so if you don't mind leaving the cargo bay, and maintaining discretion over this matter, I would be most..." Lt. Vanya seemed to twitch slightly, and suddenly she had straightened her left arm and raised it above her head, leaving her bare chest uncovered. “Grateful.”

Chief Eboh’s gaze remained fixed for a split second before he forced it down and to the side, looking at the deck off to his left. Ekon was not an overly modest man, having seen more than a few naked women in his 88 years. Under the current circumstances however, and due to the fact that this particular woman was an officer, he felt he ought to avert his gaze rather than enjoy the view. Not that he hadn’t enjoyed his brief glimpse…

“Of course, ma’am. I apologize.” Ekon said, his voice steady and not the least embarrassed. “I did not know you were in here, or that you were…” Ekon paused and considered his words, not wanting to appear boorish. “In your current state. However,” Ekon continued, still not looking at the woman who stood before him, “I would think that conducting repairs on yourself would be challenging under normal circumstances. Doing so with involuntary movement of your limbs could prove exceedingly difficult.” Ekon turned his gaze back towards the Lieutenant, keeping his eyes locked on her blue eyes and not looking down. “I could assist you in your repairs if you wish, Lieutenant. Or if you want me to leave, I will do so.” Ekon gave the Lieutenant a half-smile that he prayed did not appear lecherous. “In either case I will be discrete about the matter, ma’am. I give you my word.”

Reply #4
[ Lt Vanya| Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga
Attn:@fife

anya weighed up her options.    She could dismiss Eboh and suffer for who knows how long, or she could avail herself of the discreet aid that he offered.    The word of a Starfleet officer be it in rank of position carried a lot of weight with her.   

“I... would like some help please, thank you.”   

Control returned to her left arm and she covered herself up again, and she gingerly rose to her feet.   

“At the Captain’s insistence I took shore leave during our visit to Starbase 98”   She began.   

“I went swimming in a natural spring on the surface”.  She smiled at the memory of water against her bare flesh.    She quickly shook her head “The water has a conductive mineral in it, a trace amount, not enough to pose a hazard to humanoids, but enough to wreak havoc with electrical systems.”   

She felt embarrassed to reveal her secret but still thought this was the best option. 

“A small amount of the mineral was absorbed through my epidermal layer.    My self repair systems neutralised most of them.    A tiny amount has found its way into my gyroscopic regulator.    My systems can’t get into there because it is so delicate.   It the mineral disrupts my gyroscopic field.    I could use help removing it.”  

She didn’t like being this weak but she needed help that already knew of her issue.   

Reply #5

With Lt. Vanya having covered herself again, Chief Eboh approached the back of the cargo bay as she explained the nature of the problem. As he rounded the barrels, he saw the microtransporter unit lying on the deck where she had dropped it. Ekon bent forward and picked the unit up, cradling it in both hands as he approached the Lieutenant. Having never really interacted with Lieutenant Vanya prior to this he was surprised to find she was the same height as he was, though with a slender figure as opposed to his more bulky frame.

“You intended to use this microtransporter unit to lock on to the trace amounts of the mineral and beam them out of your regulator?” Ekon guessed as he stopped just in front of the woman and placed the microtransporter unit on one of the barrels. He could discern a sense of embarrassment in the Lieutenant, though she was obviously trying to suppress it. “Would I be correct in assuming your gyroscopic regulator is located in your torso?”

The thought dawned on him that this was a strange merging of his two professions in Starfleet. Having begun his career as a nurse, he had worked to heal his fellow crewmates. Now that he worked in Operations he repaired the ship’s systems. And now here he was, about to repair one of his crewmates. It was not a phrase Ekon had ever thought he’d use.

I suppose there is a first time for everything… Ekon mused, dropping his gaze to remove a tricorder from his pocket. As he looked up and met her gaze once more he could not help but steal a glance at the arm covering her chest, as well as the cleavage it failed to hide from view. The sense of medical professionalism he had developed during his 16 years as a nurse bellowed in the back of his mind as he waited for her to confirm the location of her gyroscopic regulator.

Reply #6
[ Lt. Vanya| Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga ] @Fife

"You intended to use this microtransporter unit to lock on to the trace amounts of the mineral and beam them out of your regulator?" Ekon guessed as he stopped just in front of the woman and placed the microtransporter unit on one of the barrels. He could discern a sense of embarrassment in the Lieutenant, though she was obviously trying to suppress it. "Would I be correct in assuming your gyroscopic regulator is located in your torso?"

Vanya nodded.   He seemed to linger over her for a while, but she couldn't work out if it was scientific curiosity or something else "That's correct" she confirmed.   "Its equally placed between my shoulder blades"  

She looked at him carefully   "I can either lay or sit down if you wish or....  

She lost her balance again, as if she had slipped on a banana peel.    Her hands moved freely instinctively behind her to break her fall, her ample breasts jiggling with the fall.  

"...never mind.    What would you suggest?"   She decided to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.  

Reply #7

Chief Eboh dropped his tricorder and reached out, but was unable to catch Lt. Vanya as she fell backward. The Lieutenant caught herself however, extending both arms backwards to arrest her fall, once again leaving her ample breasts exposed and in full view. This time Ekon couldn’t help but stare for a brief moment before he managed to stir himself to action.

“Are you alright, Lieutenant?” Ekon asked as he moved quickly to her side and knelt down, placing a one hand behind her shoulder and the other on her stomach in an attempt to steady her. “Perhaps we should just have you lie down here.” Ekon suggested, worrying that moving position might be problematic if she had another malfunction in her gyroscopic regulator. Easier to just treat her where she was.

“Turn over,” Ekon instructed, trying not to make it sound like an order. He suddenly realized that he had his hands on the Lieutenant’s bare skin and quickly removed them, glad that his blush would be barely visible due to his dark skin. He muttered a quiet apology to her and then twisted where he knelt, lifting the microtransporter down from the barrel and setting it on the floor next to him. He then reached out to retrieve the dropped tricorder as he waited for her to comply with the direction.

Reply #8
[LT. Vanya Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga ] @Fife

[I["Turn over," Ekon instructed, trying not to make it sound like an order. He suddenly realized that he had his hands on the Lieutenant's bare skin and quickly removed them, glad that his blush would be barely visible due to his dark skin. He muttered a quiet apology to her and then twisted where he knelt, lifting the microtransporter down from the barrel and setting it on the floor next to him. He then reached out to retrieve the dropped tricorder as he waited for her to comply with the direction. [/I]

Vanya sighed.   She realised that it had been sometime since she had been touched by anyone   It was most refreshing.   She detected his quiet apology, and she spoke.  

“Please, one thing I’m lacking is modesty about my appearance.”   As she rolled over, an ironic smile crossed over her lips.   “That being said, perhaps if I had worn appropriate attire when swimming, I wouldn’t be in this mess.   In any event, an apology is not necessary.  

She turned over, the cold deck pressing against her skin.   “If you could hurry this along, however I am finding this floor most uncomfortable.”  

She couldn’t wait for this ordeal to be over, and not just because the floor was cold.   She prided herself on being in control, and giving up control to someone else, even for a second, was oddly disconcerting.  

Reply #9

"Please, one thing I'm lacking is modesty about my appearance." Lt. Vanya said as she rolled over. Chief Eboh could see a small smile cross her lips briefly as she turned over onto her stomach. "That being said, perhaps if I had worn appropriate attire when swimming, I wouldn't be in this mess. In any event, an apology is not necessary. If you could hurry this along, however I am finding this floor most uncomfortable."

Ekon smiled, and lifted the tricorder, ”Very well, Lieutenant. I didn’t realize you were as susceptible to the cold as organics. I’m just going to take a quick scan to make sure that no other systems are affected.” he explained, running the tricorder over her back. Finding no other systems that were affected by the conductive minerals, he closed the tricorder and placed in on the floor next to him. Next he reached out and gently brushed aside Vanya’s long black hair, which had fanned out across her back. As he softly swept his fingers across her back he could feel goosebumps rising on the soft skin, which he assumed were from the cold. He briefly reflected on the fact that he had not touched a woman in quite some time, not since he had seen his second love gunned down by Cardassians in a firefight back in the war. He shook himself out of his reverie and focused on the present. This was not Teresa Vasquez, and he had a job to finish.

With the hair out of the way, he placed his index and middle fingers in between her shoulder blades, mentally landmarking the spot where the affected component was located, then lifted the mircotransporter and positioned it over the Lieutenant's back. ”Hold still, Vanya.”

Reply #10
[ Lt. Vanya | Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga ] @Fife

“I had to pass for organic to the most stringent of visible inspections.” She explained.   “If my skin doesn’t sweat when hot, or show signs of the cold, or if I can’t even convince a sexual partner that I have…”  She realised that sex, like nudity was a taboo subject amongst humans.  

“Well” she said after an uncomfortable pause.   “I have to pass as organic.”    

She took a deep breath.   “I will deactivate my Gyroscopic regulator now.    As well as making easier to isolate the foreign particles it will ensure that I as you suggest, ‘stay stil’.   My head will still function.”  

Arms at her side, her body went limp.   It was odd, like her entire body was numb.   At least she would be spared any unintentional episodes.   “There” she said.   “You should now be able to track things down easier.”    

Reply #11

Ekon watched as Lieutenant Vanya’s body suddenly seemed to go limp, then adjusted the mircotransporter’s position to compensate for the slight movement caused by her body relaxing. He marvelled at the lengths the Romulans had gone to for the sake of infiltration, and found himself glad that she was on their side.

“I can see how that would help you convince those around you that you were an organic,” Ekon admitted, ”Although I have not met many human women that were the same height as me.” Ekon chuckled at this, then continued to talk as he locked on to the offending minerals in Vanya’s system, “Beyond that I would say your body is quite convincing, right down to the goosebumps on your back.” Ekon hesitated for a moment before he continued. ”I’m curious, Lieutenant. You say you lack a sense of modesty, but you tend stop yourself from mentioning certain things. Would I be right in assuming you think it will make those around you uncomfortable?”

Ekon had the microtransporter locked on now. He touched his thumb to the appropriate button as he finished asking his question, and beamed out the unwanted material. ”The minerals are out of your system.” He reported, ”You should be ok to reactivate your gyroscopic regulator and get dressed. We should probably wait a few minutes to make sure there are no more disruptions.”

Ekon placed the microtransporter unit on the floor next to him and sat back, leaning on the barrels as he waited to see if he would get an answer to his question.

Reply #12
[LT. Vanya Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga ] @Fife
“You should be ok to reactivate your gyroscopic regulator and get dressed. We should probably wait a few minutes to make sure there are no more disruptions."

With a twitch of her head, her body reactivated   He self-diagnostic began to cycle through, and so far everything was green.   She walked across the room and picked up her undershirt.  

“Correct.   I have found many organics find nudity and topics of a sexual nature uncomfortable in certain contexts.”   She slid her uniform over her torso and held her hands up to her face.   She bent and flexed her fingers.   “So far, so good” she said.   She remembered being at Starfleet Academy when she used to discuss her past in new groups   In her experience it quickly led to uncomfortable silences and a lack of further invites to the aforementioned groups.     
“Even Deltans would balk at the mention of my ability to provide orgasms when I mentioned them in conversation.   So I decided that these sort of topics were best kept out rotation.”  

She looked at him.   He was El Aurian, or at least partially.   His lineage had a history of listening.   She wondered if she was playing a dangerous game by bearing her soul.   She decided to continue.  

“Well, things seem to be fine so far.   As I understand it, I am indebted to you now, in exchange for the repair and your continued discretion.   If there is anything I can do for you, please ask.”  

Reply #13

Ekon didn’t look away this time as the Lieutenant rose to her feet and walk over to retrieve her shirt. She could give him a dressing down for staring at her in her current state, but he didn’t think she would. He listened as she explained her reason for avoiding topics such as nudity and sexuality, then smiled as she mentioned being indebted to him.

”You are not indebted to me, Lieutenant. I am glad to be able to help.” Ekon said, ”And as for uncomfortable topics, I am 88 years old. While that is quite young by El-Aurian standards, I have lived long enough that I now find very few things uncomfortable to talk about.” Ekon chuckled, rising to his feet and picking up the tricorder and microtransporter.

”Now if you’ll excuse me, ma’am, I am off duty at the moment.” Ekon stated as he moved through the cargo bay and replaced the microtransporter, then pocketed the tricorder. ”I was looking for something for Lieutenant Mason, but he has no idea where it is and I’m not planning on wasting any more time looking for it.” He continued, turning to look back at the Lieutenant. ”I was going to go to the lounge and get a drink, if you would like to continue our conversation.”

Reply #14
[Lt Vanya | Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga] attn @Fife

"I was going to go to the lounge and get a drink, if you would like to continue our conversation."

Vanya was about to automatically decline the offer, however, this wasn’t an invite that came out of some kind of social prerogative, nor was it a group, it was just one person inviting her.   This was also a way to reward the favour that Eboh had done for her.  

“That sounds like a good idea.” She said at last.   “Lead on.”  

As she followed him, she took a moment to appraise him   His people were long lived, while half human he could possibly be…   While he wasn’t at his prime, he probably wasn’t old by his own standards.   Maybe there was another four or five decades in him until infirmity started to rear its head to a significant degree.   She decided to try to approach the subject tactfully .   

“Tell me, what is the lifespan of an El-Aurian?“  

Reply #15
[ CPO Ekon Okotie-Eboh | Cargo Bay | USS Cayuga ] Attn: @Veridian

To Ekon’s eye, it seemed as though Lt. Vanya was going to decline his invitation, but then seemed to change her mind at the last moment. Having instructed him to “lead on”, Ekon moved out of the cargo bay and made his way down the corridor towards the turbolift. He walked so that he was shoulder to shoulder with the Lieutenant rather than walking ahead of her, and glanced over at her when she asked about El-Aurian lifespans.

”Well, ma’am, El-Aurians generally live seven hundred years or more. They would generally age at the same rate as a human would until they are somewhere between their 30’s and their 50’s, then they cease to age for several hundred years.” Ekon explained as they approached the turbolift. As the turbolift doors hissed open, Ekon gave the Lieutenant and “after you” gesture with his hand, and they stepped into the lift. Ekon leaned back against the wall and directed it to take them to the observation deck before looking back at Vanya and continuing. ”Since I am half human, my own lifespan is uncertain. As far as the doctors can tell, I stopped aging in my late 30s, though they can venture no guess as to how long I will live. It could be another hundred years, or another seven hundred.” Ekon shrugged and smiled.

”How about yourself, Lieutenant?” Ekon asked, finding it took much less effort to keep his gaze on the Lieutenant’s blue eyes now that she was fully dressed in her uniform. As that thought flowed through his mind however, is caused his to briefly glance down at the Lieutenant's neck, now the only visible skin besides her face, before he caught himself and brought his gaze back up to her eyes.

Keep this up and she will think you as some sort of deviant. Ekon mentally chided himself as he continued to speak.

”I know it is generally considered rude to discuss a woman's age, but you don't strike me as a conventional sort of woman." Ekon chuckled before he continued, "Do you have any idea of your expected lifespan?” Ekon had already asked the question before he realized he had said lifespan, not duration of operation or some similar term. As the turbolift came to a half and the doors slid open, Ekon reflected on the fact that, to Vanya, there would be no difference between the two phrases.

Reply #16
[Lt Vanya | Corridor | USS Cayuga] @Fife

Vanya had thought about her mortality often.  It was something that both frightened her and fascinated her.  

“Without routine maintenance, my physical body could last for 86 years.   With regular maintenance, I would effectively be immortal.   I do however, have a complicated neural net.   At some point in the future, there is a high chance that it will have grown too complex to be a viable network.   I don’t know when that will be but, it will come.   I could flip the switch and reboot my brain, but I would effectively forget everything I’ve ever known.   I could download my brain into an adaptive holomatrix, but would that truly be me anymore?”  

She realised that Eboh was staring at her.   She allowed herself a small smile.    “I’m sorry, I do find that humanoids tend to use conversation like armour.   It tends to get in the way of the things they really wish to discuss.   I try to live for the moment and say what I mean because otherwise, nothing really important gets said.”  

She cast her mind to her days undercover as a spy.  Conversation was a skill she had, but she found it terribly inefficient.  

Reply #17
[ CPO Ekon Okotie-Eboh | Corridor | USS Cayuga ] @Veridian

As they moved down the corridor Ekon remained quiet for a few moments, reflecting on what Lt. Vanya had said. He had to admit, she was right. Words were often used as armour, and people rarely said what they meant.

Or what they really wish to say… Ekon thought, glancing over at the raven-haired Lieutenant. How many times have I wanted to say what was in my heart, and not acted? What do I wish I could have said to Teresa… to Cassandra… A tightness settled into Ekon’s chest for a moment, and he waited a moment for it to pass before he finally broke the silence.

”You are right, Lieutenant.” Ekon said with a smile, trying to move past the emotional pain which had gripped him moments before. “People often do not live for the moment, or speak what is in their hearts. The smile faded somewhat from his lips. ”I know better than most the regret that can come from not saying the words you truly wish to say.”

As they approached the doors to the Warp-Trail Lounge, a thought occurred to Ekon, causing him to slow his pace and look at Vanya. ”I apologise Lieutenant, it just occurred to me that I don’t know if you even can drink. I simply assumed so after you spoke of being designed to pass for an organic.” Ekon hesitated at the door to the lounge. ”I suppose I was looking forward to sitting and talking, and I hadn’t thought about it before now.” Ekon waited just outside the lounge for Vanya’s response, feeling somewhat silly. He didn’t know why, but the android lieutenant seemed to be making him somewhat nervous. Ekon decided it must just have been a result of thinking of the two women he had lost, and tried to put the thought out of his mind.

Reply #18
[Lt Vanya | Corridor | USS Cayuga] @Fife

"I apologise Lieutenant, it just occurred to me that I don't know if you even can drink. I simply assumed so after you spoke of being designed to pass for an organic." Ekon hesitated at the door to the lounge. "I suppose I was looking forward to sitting and talking, and I hadn't thought about it before now.”  

She held up her hand in a relaxing gesture.   Curiosity about her functions in various conditions was to be expected, if not appreciated   “No apology needed” she said earnestly.   “And it depends on how you define drink.   If you are asking if I can consume liquids, I can ingest food and drink, although this isn’t needed to keep me alive.   Alternatively, if you are asking if I can consume alcoholic beverages without being drunk, this is also true.   My brain has no organic matter to impair.   Plus I am the product of the same culture that created the galaxy’s most potent alcholic beverage.  I cannot get drunk.”  

She remembered various attempts at the acacemy to get drunk   She once downed an entire case of Saurian Brandy.   The taste revolted her, yet she didn’t feel so much as a buzz.   A true joy of being an Android.  

As they entered the bar, she continued.   “I will be honest with you, Chief.   I have a few existential issues.  Are my tastes and desires my own, or are they copies of my creators?   However, there is a variety of food and drink here in the galaxy that I because I know that my creator would have never had chance to try them.   Although I don’t need to drink, I find that sampling different things can be pleasurable.”  

Reply #19
[ CPO Ekon Okotie-Eboh | Warp-Trail Lounge | USS Cayuga ] @Veridian

Ekon listened to Lieutenant Vanya as they moved to one of the booths that lined the wall to their left. On the stage at the far end of the room a holographic pianist was playing a jazz tune on the piano, though the music was not loud enough to drown out conversation. As they moved across the floor he could hear Remy, the proprietor, regaling some poor Bolian crewman with tales of his “heroics” during the Dominion wars. Ekon had run into Remy during the war and remembered him as being very adept at making sure he remained far away from the fighting.

As they seated themselves in one of the semi-circular booths, he let the atmosphere of the lounge wash over him for a moment as he considered what Lt. Vanya had just said. ”I imagine the question of your tastes being your own would be a troubling one.” Ekon said as he leaned back against the cushioned back of the booth, resting his hands on the table in front of him with his fingers interlocked. ”Many people would say their tastes are influenced by those of their parents, but there are many cases of tastes differing as well.” Ekon glanced out the square viewport that filled a large portion of the wall behind the booth as he considered the thought. ”I suppose the telling question would be whether or not you have developed new interests since you joined Starfleet and have been out of contact with your creators.” He asked, returning his gaze to the woman seated across form him. ”Have you developed interests and preferences that they would know nothing about, or possibly have disliked? Have you developed friendships with, or romantic feelings for, people that your creators would have despised?” As Ekon looked at the Lieutenant’s blue eyes, he worried for a moment that he might be getting to personal with his questions. While Vanya had stated earlier that she was not modest about her physical appearance, personal questions could prove to be a much more touchy subject. Suddenly feeling somewhat embarrassed about the eye contact, he dropped his gaze to his hands for a moment.

”If you do not want to talk about it, we can change the subject. But if you want someone to talk to about your… how did you put it? Ah yes, your existential issues, I am happy to listen.” Ekon turned his gaze towards the server who was approaching the table. As she asked if they would like anything to drink, Ekon gestured for Vanya to order first if she would like anything. Once Vanya had placed her order, Ekon ordered a Raktajino and turned his gaze back to the Lieutenant, giving her a smile as the server moved away.

Reply #20
[Vanya | Warp-Trail Lounge | USS Cayuga ] @Fife
She reflected carefully and decided that she could say fhis aloud in front of him.   There was something that just made her trust him.    “I enjoy Federation history - that was definitely identified as a threat even when I lived back home.”      

She sipped from the mint tea that she had ordered, savouring the sensation of the hot liquid against her tongue then it’s cool aftertaste.    She realised she has been a few seconds lingering.   She raised the mug.  

“I guess you would call me a sensualist.    I swim, usually nude on the holodeck, and the only furniture in my quarters is my desk and a leather couch that I am usually naked on.”  

She looked at Eboh to register his response,   

“As for romance, I once made a pass at the most brilliant, dedicated man I’ve ever met.    He rejected me because he has an unavoidable power over me.    I still sometimes wonder if that was such a bad thing.”   

She took another sip from her tea.    She realised things were quickly becoming about her.   

“But what about you?    What inspires you?”

Reply #21

Ekon couldn’t entirely suppress the smile that attempted to manipulate his features at the thought of Vanya lounging around her quarters naked, or the fact that the rumors about her answering her door in the nude were probably true based on his interaction with her today. ”I would imagine your creators would not have programmed you to walk around naked, ma’am.” Ekon said with a chuckle. ”I would think that alone would be proof that you are your own person, and in control of your own will.” Ekon briefly wondered about the man she mentioned.

The most brilliant and dedicated man she has ever met. She certainly has high standards! Ekon thought to himself before replying to the last part of her statement. ”Perhaps he was wise not to enter into a relationship with you.” Ekon held up a hand to forestall any protests on her part. ”Please do not take that the wrong way. But if someone has power over you, then they would never be sure of your reasons for being in the relationship.” A sad smile crossed Ekons lips as he continued, ”I’m not saying you were mistaken about your feelings for him. But having been married myself once, I can say I would rather be certain someone was with me by their own choice rather than through any possible power I might hold over them.”

As Vanya asked Ekon about himself, about what inspired him, he sat back into the booth’s cushions once more and raised his mug to his lips. He took a long sip of the raktajino, savouring the bitter taste of the hot liquid as he considered his answer. He supposed since the Lieutenant had been so forthcoming with him, he should return the courtesy. ”You wish to know what inspires me…” Ekon repeated, vying for time as he crafted his answer. ”I suppose I am motivated for the most part by…” He paused and dropped his gaze, considering how to phrase his answer. Having decided on his wording, he raised his eyes to meet hers. ”the hope for redemption. I have done many things in my life that I am not proud of. There have been numerous occasions where I would look in the mirror, and I would not recognize the man looking back at me.” Ekon took another sip of his raktajino, then smiled across the table at her. ”I went to Starfleet Academy at one point during my career. I was kicked out during my third year for my volatile behaviour. That was what opened my eyes to what I had become, and started me down the path to change my ways.” Ekon let out another low, rumbling chuckle. ”A cheerful topic, isn’t it ma’am?” Ekon smiled at the Lieutenant, again reminding himself that the blue eyes he was having trouble looking away form belonged to a woman of a considerably higher rank than himself.

Don’t forget your place, Eboh… Ekon reminded himself.

”If you meant why did I join Starfleet, well, that’s another matter. I was born on a Starfleet vessel. It picked up my mother and 46 other El-Aurian refugees after two ships carrying more than 400 of my people were destroyed while fleeting the Borg. I was born the following day, aboard the Enterprise-B. I suppose I felt from an early age that I owed Starfleet something.” Ekon smiled and shrugged, again having difficulty breaking eye contact. ”What about you, ma’am? What made you decide to join Starfleet? It seems rather a big jump from Romulan infiltrator to Starfleet officer.” Ekon chuckled and smiled at the woman again to ensure she knew he had not meant the comment maliciously.

Reply #22
[Vanya | Warp-Trail Lounge | USS Cayuga ] @Fife

“My creator had more in mind for me than being an infiltrator, or for want of a better word, a smart drone.  I didn’t have much autonomy, though I was curious.   In my formative months, I found the Federation model of government better than the idea of the Romulan one.   Eventually the programme that created me shut down, and I was ordered to be terminated   Instead, my creator moved my Romulan programming and set me on the slow trip across the order to the Federation, where I was reactivated.   I lived at the Daystrom institute.   I was greatful to Starfleet for saving my life and I wanted to serve. “  

She looked at Eboh, he seemed to be averting his gaze much of the time   Was it the fact that he found her desirable and was worried about the rank structure?   Or was she somehow making him uncomfortable.   She decided to press the issue.  

“Is there something making you uncomfortable?”  

Reply #23

Ekon chuckled as Lt. Vanya called him out, asking him if he was uncomfortable.

I suppose uncomfortable would be one way of phrasing it… Ekon thought to himself as he considered his answer.

”Uncomfortable is perhaps not the word I would use, ma’am. Ekon said with an embarrassed smile. ”I think… conflicted… might be a better description.” Ekon raised his mug and inhaled through his nose, savoring the scent of the drink. He took a long sip, peering over the rim of the mug at her. He swallowed the hot liquid and placed the mug back on the table, still cupping it between his hands. ”If I am being completely honest, Lieutenant, I find you to be an attractive and intelligent woman.” Ekon gave her a weak smile, ”I suppose the state you were in when I found you in the shuttle bay has brought about certain... thoughts... as well. However, our ranks being what they are, it would be considered inappropriate for me to voice such things.” Ekon shrugged. ”As I just have.”

Ekon paused, unsure if he had overstepped his bounds. He brought his mug back up and drank, suddenly wishing for a moment that he had ordered something stronger. Having already incriminated himself, he supposed there was little reason to hold anything back at this point.

”I realize I am out of line in saying these things. But you have been forthcoming with me, and I feel that I owe you the same courtesy in return.” Ekon drained the last of his raktajino and placed the mug on the table, sliding it off to the side. ”I apologize if I’ve made things awkward, ma’am. The truth is, I am very much out of practice when it comes to talking to women in this way, and an NCO should not be speaking to an officer in this manner...” Ekon seemed to hesitate, then said no more. He leaned back into the booth’s cushion and regarded the Lieutenant, interlocking his fingers and resting his hands on the table in front of him once more as he waited to see how Vanya would respond.

What’s one more reprimand on your record, eh Eboh? Ekon thought to himself, supressing the smile that threatened to spread across his face.

Reply #24
[ Lt. Vanya | Warp-Trail Lounge | USS Cayuga ] @Fife

Vanya smirked for a moment.   She wondered if she should help him out or let him continue to flounder   She decided to be honest with him.  

“Chief….   Where I’m from the society is fiercely class driven.   Just talking as you and I are talking would result in punishment for us both, probably fatal.   But that’s not what the Federation is, the Federation is a society where individuals a free to do as they want, as long as they don’t impede on safety and liberty of others. “  

She drained the last of her cup and set it on the table.   He wasn’t an unpleasant looking man, and she decided to take things a little further.  

“Where we take things next is entirely up to you.   Our relationship shouldn’t get in the way of our duty, that is correct, but our duty shouldn’t get in the way of our relationship either.  The line is there, you just need to know where to look.”  

She said back and reached up to her collar.  

“But if it helps”  

With her slender fingers she removed each of her two pips, then unzipped her collar.  

Simple Audio Video Embedder