Skip to main content
Topic: Uniforms (Read 8954 times) previous topic - next topic

Uniforms

I have this weird fascination with uniforms. I like seeing different designs, department colors, concepts and the like. So, I like posting them, and letting others criticize and share their own favorites.

For instance, I stumbled upon this combat uniform on the web, and wanted to share it. I'm hoping to find a better quality picture, but I can't even find the source.
Lt. Devyrie "Dragon" Okhala
by Burningtransformation
aka
"Waffles"

Re: Uniforms

Reply #1
I happen to have a folder with that file and other associated pieces by the same guy, the original creator of them has some interesting elements in it in regards to uniform variations.

As far as the original source goes, I;m not sure if it actually exists anymore?  This is about the best I can find for it.

While many of them appear to be for if the Federation had an official military, there are some interesting Starfleet concepts:

Reply #2
Awesome stuff, all of this, and it's really unfortunate that the source and the person in question can't be found. Some of these things could be interesting to make our own interpretation of if you guys are interested in it, so I look forward to more opinions on these things.

I will not be using this material without consent, however, so it is a question of time for our own development of similar concepts and ideas.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #3
Thank you for sharing, Hasta. Looks great.

I wish I were more talented in the visual graphics department, but I will certainly keep an eye out for materials that I can ask if we can use.

I actually think I might have contact for the owner. I recognized the site address. Let me see what I can find out.
by Burningtransformation
aka
"Waffles"

Reply #5
As combat oriented field suits, I like the look. I know my RP group (on hiatus at present) we went with a uniform that is very TNG but has more of a military cut to the uniform. If that makes sense? Can be found here: USS Wolff Uniforms

Reply #6
I think I follow what you mean, which certainly makes sense, as it combines the lines of the TWOK jacket with the TNG aesthetic. I don't mind it, at all.

My only question, after reviewing that page, is why the Counselor "off bridge" variants are all sleeveless?
by Burningtransformation
aka
"Waffles"

Reply #7
The main reason was because there wasn't a sleeved version of the female variant uniform that I liked. :) I was also trying to stay away from the large selection of uniforms in modern military, the US Army for example has Class A, Class B, Mess and Battle Dress(ACU/BDU). I wanted to simplify it down to Dress uniform, Duty Uniform, and specialized where applicable.

The IC 'reason' is that off bridge, counselors were given the option of something a bit dressed down so they could interact with their patients in a non-threatening environment yet still maintain a form of dress code. For women that included a 'casual dress' and 'casual jumpsuit' option.

Forgot to add, the originals are on deviantart here: http://jjohnson1701.deviantart.com/gallery/44634885/Star-Trek-Concept-Uniform

Reply #8
That's completely fair, I just found it rather amusing that counselors apparently prefer sleeveless for office wear. :)

Thank you for sharing the gallery link. I like seeing different ideas and concepts.
by Burningtransformation
aka
"Waffles"

Reply #9
@summerdawn: those uniforms remind me of some concept art stuff (and some action figures) i saw around the time that Star Trek : Generations came out. They had thought about tweaking the standard duty uniforms a bit, but instead went with splitting the standard (non-updated) and DS9/Voy uniform usage.  either way, i like waht you got there.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Theurgy crew get a slightly updated uniform beyond the (beautiful) First Contact/End of DS9 uniforms :) just a slight twist on style maybe. Don't need to go full out All Good Things design.

Reply #10
Follow up: this is one of the artist concept sketches, as well as a marketed figure that was for sale back in the lead up to the primer of Generations.  I have this figure, as well as the Geordi, Worf and Riker figures from this run:

Reply #11
On uniforms, I have to say no to any changes. (Sorry!) I have hundreds of reasons in the DeviantArt gallery as to why we will not change the uniform we have, since I am not keen on updating all the character images there.

That being said, additional duty uniforms and variations for some tasks are another matter entirely, along with any gizmos and tech that might make sense to add. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #12
Nah, totally figured we wouldn't actually do a keel up overhaul of the uniforms. You've invested faaaaaar too much time already in awesome art work.  But yeah duty uniform options could be fun to contemplate :)

Reply #13
Personally I'm pleased that we aren't changing any uniforms. As much as i like some of the fan made designs there is something about our current uniforms that I've always loved.

Seeing a good looking woman in the first contact uniform always gets my motor running ;)

Reply #14
On uniforms, I have to say no to any changes. (Sorry!) I have hundreds of reasons in the DeviantArt gallery as to why we will not change the uniform we have, since I am not keen on updating all the character images there.

That being said, additional duty uniforms and variations for some tasks are another matter entirely, along with any gizmos and tech that might make sense to add. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan
I think just having variations on uniforms, rather than a complete overhaul would be appropriate.  Let's not reedit everything ;)

Also, I think there are times when its forgotten that the FC uniforms have jumpsuit variants, like the gold Engineering suits. I can imagine the other departments have their own, much like in TOS.

That said, I always wondered if a uniform could be designed which consists of just the department color shirt under the uniform top. And, not just due to circumstances, but an allowable for on duty occasions.

Also, having some fun logos on the workout gear :)
by Burningtransformation
aka
"Waffles"

Reply #15
On a somewhat different note, I know that cultural accessories are allowed to be integrated into a uniform at the commanding officer's discretion, but some alien cultures incorporate head and face coverings. I can't help but wonder how those sorts of things would be handled. For security reasons I can see why a clear face might be necessary, but then again, the Federation does have highly advanced scanning tech and at least one species did wear a mask in Starfleet (granted it was a breathing mask, so they could be an exception?).

At any rate, I would appreciate other people weighing in, since I cannot figure this out myself.

Reply #18
Personally,  I'd say few things wouldn't be allowed. I can't even imagine what wouldn't be accepted. Nog's head piece is even quite stylish in its Starfleet uniform adaptation!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

I'd say anything that could compromise safety wouldn't be allowed.  Or things like a necklace of Cardassian neck bones or something like that.  Or non-issue weapons.

And speaking of weapons, what is Theurgy's weapons policy?  I can't imagine it being too liberal given the recent mutiny.  Security staff on duty would be armed, obviously; same with pilots when they are just about to launch.  Maybe the Bridge crew?  And who would have no-questions-asked access to the weapons lockers?  And under what conditions could the various lockers across the ship be accessed, and by whom?  And for that matter, who would be issued a "personal sidearm" as opposed to just grabbing one off the rack when they need it? 

Reply #19
The weaponry issue will be something to write out In-Character since evidently, the Resolve crew has been allowed to wear and own shit that is not Starfleet issue, Kendrick being lax enough to let his crew have personalised weaponry that shouldn't be on a starship to begin with.

The policy of such weaponry will therefore be a plot point, but as to the regular policy on starships (before the mutiny) about access or not depending on rank should be out there somewhere in canon or fanon. I just don't have the time to go looking for references right now. Help would be appreciated. What the policy is on the Theurgy post-mutiny will depend on such references, and also play into the plot development about the conflict of policy for the Resolve's crew. I find it a fun social commentary about rights to own and wear weapons, this plot, and I wanted to regulate the scope of the problem with the Resolve being destroyed and there being virtually no time at all to grab things in people's quarters, the only things brought along being what they were on their backs when then came aboard.

Hope someone has the time too go look for it, and it might even be a sore issue for the writers here that Ives may take away their personal armament. :) Ives is quite by-the-book, so your characters will have to deal with it. But let's see what we make of it.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #20

^ Now that jacket... was crafted by a maestro. Kudos, A.L., kudos indeed.

I'm not leaving my quarters without this jacket a la Worf's bandolier; goes with the vest underneath. Culturally apropos, Guanajuato, Mexico is world-famous for its leather, even the last Pope special-ordered most of his leather shoes from there. In my jacket's case, I'll say it was Marquez's father's, it got scratched up a little in battle, and Elim Garak repaired it at some point during the Dominion War. Marquez likely gave our favorite tailor a Tom Clancy enigma tale as payment, along with Gold-pressed Latinum, of course.

Lt. Commander Leon "Striker" Marquez
Chief Tactical Officer, USS Theurgy
"No one left behind."

Ensign James "Jimmy" Mariner
Security Officer, USS Theurgy
"Showtime!"

Lieutenant (J.G.) Alessia "Angel" Garcia
Valravn Fighter Pilot, USS Theurgy
"You're not the only one with a gun,"

Reply #21
I'm incredibly impressed. I vote for jackets all around ;)

by Burningtransformation
aka
"Waffles"

Reply #24
you know the skirt option never left? If you look at our wiki of approved uniforms there is a skirt uniform variant.

Jack even has the option for a lab/surgical coat, which he is probably going to wear at all times.

Simple Audio Video Embedder