Skip to main content
Topic: Award Poll: The Golden Chevron 2019 (Read 4152 times) previous topic - next topic

Award Poll: The Golden Chevron 2019

This award is nominated by anyone, but only handed out once every second year to the most outstanding writers in the sim.

The poll will run for 3 days, in which those who cast their vote should take a few minutes to read the linked scenes first. The nominee(s) who get the most votes will receive the Golden Chevron. If you are a Nominee, you may not vote on yourself.

Here are the nominations, with more information on the nominated writers & threads, which has been complemented by private nominations of additional writers in nominated threads:

NOMINATION 01: AUCTOR LUCAN

Forum Name of Nominee: @Auctor Lucan
Reason for Nomination: For writing in a second language and moderating the sim
Motivation & Links:
As per the words of the Nominator: "As the Sim’s GM, AL not only guides the story, but tries to incorporate the idea of others where possible and attempts to provide other writers as much of a chance to be as involved in the story as he can. Given that ideas are frequently thrown about, not all of these can be worked into the Sim, but AL still gives these ideas consideration, and works with the sim’s writers whenever possible.

On top of this, he is also tasked with creating character, NPC, deck and ship images, as well as site maintenance, wiki updates, plot discussions, polls, mediation of disputes between writers, and keeping plotlines on track (which I would imagine is, at times, vaguely akin to herding cats), not to mention keeping track of the various characters he himself writes, threads he is in, and setting the stage for the various scenes that arise in the main story.

As someone who spends a good deal (sometimes too much?) of his time think about/planning/writing in Theurgy, I can’t help but think that the combined workload of all the above listed points sounds like utter insanity to me. And while I know that there have been hiccups, setbacks and disputes that have arisen throughout the time I’ve been writing in the sim, I firmly believe that Theurgy wouldn’t be the sim it is without all the hard work and dedication that Auctor Lucan puts in."

NOMINATION 02: BZ

Forum Name of Nominee: @BZ
Reason for Nomination: Overall quality of writing, character depth and meanful contributions to the story
Motivation & Links:
As per the words of the Nominator: "I' m not going to add more links to BZ's work in this round because I think I' ve covered them more than enough in the previous nomination rounds. BZ is one of the highest-quality writers in the SIM atm in my opinion and she has one of the best prose in the forum, she has infinite resources to develop her characters (and contribute to the development of the characters that interact with hers) and she is a writer who has enough talent to see her work published in physical books. In fact, I hope that we will soon be able to see a novel with her name on the cover of the bookstore shelves (and that it will be translated into several languages :) )

I think she is a remarkable writer at all levels and should be rewarded for it."

NOMINATION 03: TOP HAT

Forum Name of Nominee: @Top Hat
Reason for Nomination: Depth of character, subtlety of prose and concise but powerful writing style.
Motivation & Links:
As per the words of the Nominator: "TH is a very seasoned writer, with a meticulous knowledge of the Trek universe that gifts us with a measured and yet meaningful post. It is not easy to overlook one of his posts because it ALWAYS contributes to the development of the thread and has a special deepness. All the words in the TH posts are important and perfectly measured and it's well worth reading them carefully to enjoy them because, at least for my part, I always feel that there is more in there than what is really written. I think I've said it before but subtlety and precision are a real art, more so when, instead of resulting in a poor post, they add a hidden and subtle richness to it."

NOMINATION 04: FIENDFALL

Forum Name of Nominee: @fiendfall
Reason for Nomination: Variation and richness of her characters, colourful of these and depth of character
Motivation & Links:
As per the words of the Nominator: "For me writing with Fienfall is a joy, her prose is excellent, she is always open to help others to develop their character and to add more layers and levels to their interactions and in general she shows excellent skills as a writer and as a writing partner. I have to say that at the time I thought of suggesting her to share part of the background of our characters I NEVER imagined what a delight it would be and what a rare gem of a writer I would find in doing so.  I'm sure this writer will be a must-have asset in the new season.

I will add the special note that she is relatively new to this fandom and yet you could NEVER tell by reading one of her posts because her characters are so thoroughly studied that they work perfectly in the universe."

NOMINATION 05: NUMEN

Forum Name of Nominee: @Numen
Reason for Nomination: For engaging prose, personality, wide vocabulary and excellent craftsmanship
Motivation & Links:
As per the words of the Nominator: "Numen writes engaging prose that's fun to read, full of personality, with a wide vocabulary and good craftsmanship, and generally just so so rich with Trek lore details; her characters are well-rounded and well-written; she's proven herself to be equally wonderful at writing comedy (Lads Night Out), drama (Cardassian Rhapsody), and romance (The Targ House); and she has long-term plans and consequences for her characters (see Shar's arc). And all of this in her second language.

In RP I firmly believe the social side totally counts towards a writer's skill, and Numen is as great to write with as her posts are to read. She's a creative and enthusiastic writing partner, and one of the most lovely and supportive people in the sim — just look at how many of these nominations have come from her!

In my opinion Numen is 100% one of the best writers in the sim, and that she does all of this in her second language is frankly amazing."

NOMINATION 06: BRUTUS

Forum Name of Nominee: @Brutus
Reason for Nomination: For highly impressing prose throughout long and faithful dedication to the sim
Motivation & Links:
As per the words of the Nominator: "I have been wanting to write a thread with Brutus since about 6 months after joining the sim. I had read his prose and was impressed greatly. I knew that writing opposite them would elevate my own work beyond what it was worth. Sadly, it took more than a year more before I had the opportunity to share a thread with them.

I can only list the single thread Material Girls as a primary example of his work but you won't have to look far to find other examples. Brutus has been with the sim since 2011 and has knocked up over 1200 posts in the time; his threads are Legion! He has well and truly earned the Mythic Theurgist title."

Thank you in advance for your voting in this award category!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Award Poll: The Golden Chevron 2019

Reply #1
THE RESULTS ARE IN!

It was a really even field in the poll, but it appears that Brutus and I tied for the first place. Yet since the Golden Chevron should only be handed out once every second year, I'm yielding the win to Brutus.

So, congratulations on this prestigious win, Bru!! :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Award Poll: The Golden Chevron 2019

Reply #2
Congrats @Brutus! Very well deserved :)
Lt Cmdr Hathev - Counselling - Chief Counsellor
"Logic without ethics is no logic at all." [Show/Hide]
Ensign Inej 'Avi' Avirim - Security - Investigations Officer
"Live fast, die stupid." [Show/Hide]
Xelia - Civillian - Holoprogram Designer
"Envy isn't your colour, babe." [Show/Hide]

Simple Audio Video Embedder