Skip to main content
Topic: Federation Medical Research Outpost Best Foot Forward (Read 2726 times) previous topic - next topic

Federation Medical Research Outpost Best Foot Forward

Foval stood on the cliff's edge looking down on the valley below.  It was truly a remarkable site, one that he was once again capable of appreciating.  He almost felt normal here, free from his implants.  Yet there they were.  Nearby he knew that there was a medical team monitoring his vitals.  Yet deep down he knew it wasn't working.  If this mythical planet were to work at all, he guessed that he would have to spend years here, maybe decades.  Although the metaphasic radiation had returned youth to members of many species, even lost things like eyesight, the parts of him that were taken away by the Borg had shown little or no sign of returning.

Not for the first time since his arrival on this world, he debated going native.  Finding a cave and being alone.    But he realised that it wasn't solitude that he sought - quite the opposite, he wanted companionship, but he knew that no one would ever see past his Borg implants.  

He threw on garments that the human quarter master had called "sweats" and his T-Shirt before heading back to his cabin at the medical complex.  Apparently some years before, there had been a clandestine attempt to forcibaly harvest the planets radiation.  It had failed, but the complicated history between the planet's residents and the Federation's partners in the endeavour had led to further research.  The planet had some promising leads, but there was simply not enough time.

Curiously there was a Ferengi waiting outside of his room.  His eyes boggled at the sight of his Borg prosthetic.

"Borg?  I should have asked for danger pay!" he hissed

"Ex Borg." Foval corrected.    "What is your business here?"

"My name is Verrik, I am a humble courier.  I meant no harm.  I was instructed to hand this box to you, and only you."  He looked around conspiratorally.  "If you could give me a short clip around the head.    I would be able to claim compensation.  But please, leave the lobes alone."

He took a moment to look at the Ferengi and his lobes.  His ocular implant didn't detect any heat coming from them.    As if they were fake.    Before he could say anything, the Ferengi beamed away.  Curious.  He entered his quarters, and sure enough Verrik was signed in as a visitor.  He opened the box.  Inside was a complete set of Ketheera blocks, and a letter in Vulcan.  It was from his mother, telling him that she had found his Ketheera blocks, and held out hope that they may help in his recovery.

Yet his parents were not aware of his trip to the planet.  Something, as the terrans would say, was up.  He went to the box and noticed the lining.  It looked like Selaht hide.  However, no Vulcan would allow an annimals pelt to be used in such a savage way.  Sure enough, the gaudy material had signs that it was from a synthetic genome.  A further sign of illogic.  He tore at it, and discovered a metallic recess built into the lid.  The recess seemed to register his finger print, and inside was a single isolinear chip.

He studied the chip.  It seemed fairly non-descript item.  It was clear that someone wanted him to see the message.  He placed it in his chip reader and the lights in his quarters went dark.    He heard a "click" as the door locked.  

"Activating EMH" the computer said.    "EMH protocols overridden, incoming optronic transmission."  In the centre of the room a hologram appeared.  It was Admiral Anderson.

"Forgive me the cloak and dagger." The Admiral said.  "But there can be no record of this conversation.    The chip has piggy backed a transmission from my location to your room at the facility.    The Federation is in grave danger Mr. Foval, and it needs you to save it."  

Foval was quite taken aback.  He had a good working relationship with Anderson, and had even done some quiet strategic analysis for him.  But to receive such a secretive communique was astonishing.    The Federation's use of holographic communication had been a short dalliance from what he understood.    It was curious that such a signal was sent.

"What is the nature of the mission?" he asked.    Anderson waved a finger.  "Not so fast.  I need to know that you'll take the mission there is a high probability that you will be declared an enemy of the Federation by forces in charge.  If you are captured then I will disavow all knowledge of your activities.    Do you understand?"

Yes Sir.  He thought over his life choices.  He had a good life in the dipolamtic corps, and yet, he felt like he could be doing something better.  If there was a threat to the Federation, he had to step in.  Besides, his Borg implants would record whatever evidence he needed.  If Anderson was a traitor, that is.

"I understand."

"Good" Anderson said.  "I need good people, I'm familiar with your family situation.  That's why you are perfect for this mission."

Shortly after his briefing, there was suddenly an urgent need for Foval to help settle a mining dispute.  Foval proved very effective in settling the dispute, and was thanked by all parties.    All of which were actually aware that they had taken part in an expert manipulation of holographic technology.

The real Foval was heading to a Klingon ship, and would face his destiny.  

Fin
Inhabiting my head are:

[Lt. Vanya |Assistant Science Officer| USS Theurgy]

[Lt. J.G Foval |Assistant Diplomatic Officer |USS Theurgy]

Simple Audio Video Embedder