Skip to main content
Topic: Day 19 [2000 hrs] Of all the holodecks she had to walk into (Read 6851 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 19 [2000 hrs] Of all the holodecks she had to walk into

[ Lieutenant Commander Frank Arnold | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]

@Pierce @Eirual @Elyria

The man who walked through the rain soaked streets of Brooklyn hunched closer against the trench coat as a darkness pervaded the streets.  It didn't matter that his fedora kept his face dry and the coat kept the water out.  It was a darkness that gripped the soul of the city and wreaked, especially one where the mob ruled the streets.  You could feel it in the stone, which is why only the most foolish braved the streets at night.  Maybe that's what he really was. A fool.  Blue eyes looked straight ahead.  Focused on the destination, yet seeing everything else at the same time. 

The man in the trenchcoat passed an alleyway and took a look down the darkened passage.  The lighting was a flickering red sign.  When the sign decided to work, it said Adrian's Hangout.  It was a sign of what kind of place he'd been asked to meet his contacts and partner that the sign barely worked and people of good repute didn't even try going here.  There was nothing for it.  The stranger needed the money, so he jammed his hands in his pockets and headed towards the flickering orange glow.  He was only about 10 feet away when a scruffy man in rags leapt out of the shadows and held a screwdriver up to him. "Those're some fancy shoes and hat, give'm to me or I'll start dranin ya.  And yer wallet too!" The trench coat looked at the man with hard eyes before sighing and reaching into his pocket for the money holder.  The vagabond leered at his find.  Then the large hand flashed out and knocked the screwdriver away. "Hey! Wha.."  Was all the ruffian got out before the Trenchcoat kicked out his legs causing the sorry excuse of a man causing him to fall. "Wahhh! I'm sorry mistah I didn't mean anything by it."  The man in rags squeeled as he backed up and scrambled on all fours before running into the darkness.

Trenchcoat sighed and walked the rest of the way to door that had seen better days before entering.  If the outside was shoddy, the inside was well kept.  This might've been the seedy part of town, but Adrian took pride in his place and he wasn't going to see it ruined by anyone.   Obviously his contact new something of the place to ask him to meet here.  For what he didn't know.  "Hey Frank!  Adrian called from behind the bar." Frank took off his fedora and opened his jacket as he shook off the rain.  "The usual?" "Yeah Adrian.  The usual." Frank replied. clearly worn out.  "Scotch on the rocks." Adrian responded and Frank nodded as he headed to a booth near the back where he could keep an eye on the door.  Settling into the thinning cushion, Frank took a moment to listen to the dusky smooth voice Bessy Simmons singing about a lover who cheated her, and how she was going to wring his neck on the stage to a jazz quartet.  Miles seemed to be in particularly good form on the bass tonight.  Probably one of the few nights he wasn't drinking.  Lighting a cigarette, Frank took a puff and let the stick hang from his mouth as the portly Adrian put his drink on the table. "Business or pleasure tonight Frank?"  "I don't know Adrian.  Find out when it comes through that door."  Frank nodded at the entrance.  Adrian noted the leather of a holster on Frank's neck.  "Try not to have any funny business in here.  Ricky the Ringer is breathin down everyone's neck for more. I'm not sure I can handle a mess now."  Frank nodded his understanding.  The local mafia chieftan was fallin behind some of the others and was squeezin his territory hard to make up the difference.  "I always try Adrian. I always try."  The bar owner nodded and walked away to another table that called for more drinks.  With that, Frank settled in to see who would come through the door first.  Maybe it would be his partner Alana, maybe the contract.  Only time would tell.

A Little mood music -

Re: Day 19 [2000 hrs] Of all the holodecks she had to walk into

Reply #1
[ Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
ATTN: @Pierce  @Elyria @RyeTanker

The rain sounded on the black umbrella she carried as her high heels clicked with a splash along her path. She cautiously looked around as she made her way to the seedy establishment where she was told to meet the man who was supposed to be able to help her. Her large hat kept her face in the shadows and hopefully prevented anyone from recognizing her. She almost breathed a sigh of relief as she stepped into the little gin joint.  Closing the umbrella as she quickly looked around the room. She moved to the  bar with quick steps, Leaning in to talk to the barkeep over the Jazz music she said, “I’m meeting someone by the name of Frank. Would you know if he has arrived?”

The barkeep lifted a hand and thumbed towards a booth with a lone occupant. “Thanks, “ She said and turned to make her way over to the man. She slid into the booth keeping her head down,  she slowly raised her head to look over at the man across from her. A small smiled played across her lips as she sized him up. “I hear you are the man that likes to get things done,” said in a soft sultry voice.
Ensign Mia Dunne   [Show/Hide]

Kelistina (Kel) Kavot Droga   [Show/Hide]

Reply #2
[ Lt. Commander Alana Pierce | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy] | ATTN: @RyeTanker @Eirual @Elyria [Show/Hide]

She felt the air chilled with the feeling of rain. The noise was rampant from automobiles honking and sputtering around her as she walked the streets. Covered in a light gray trenchcoat, and matching hat, she was of little concern to the things lurking in the darkened alleyways between the buildings. At least, so she thought. A man came out of the crevices as she was peering at street signage and neon lights looking for the place she was to meet Frank. The man grabbed her from behind around her waist as she stood still, allowing some measure of it and at the same time, allowing the panic of the situation to take hold. Her green eyes flashed as the crimson hair lit up from the briefest of light hitting the exposed hair.

Gimme all ur money toots! He held something to her back as she felt his other arm wrapped around her stomach. He smelled her hair and groaned. And maybe we can take this back to my place... He let the words linger in his bronx accent.

Alana being no fool to what he alluded to, decided to see where this path took her, and to see if he could be shaken. Turning slowly, she rubbed his arm, in turn causing him to loosen his grip on her as she looked at the man in the eyes. "Is that so? You wouldn't want to hurt me, now would you?" She said in a sweet, sultry tone. Allowing his guard to lower as she leaned in for a kiss, his eyes briefly closed and she grabbed the switchblade from his hand, twisting his wrist and flipped it down pointing at his genitals. "So what'll it be mistah?" She said in a mocking tone. "Want that kiss still?"

Scared and pale as a ghost he shook his head quickly before backing up. Naw lady. Ur crazy as can be. Git away from me! He said scurrying back into the darkness. She flipped the blade and closed it, placing the metallic object into her coat pocket. She grinned knowing the power she now held. That confidence booster Reggie gave her was coming in handy.

Before long she arrived at the neon glow of Adrian's Hangout. It looked like a dump in her mind, but that's where her partner asked her to meet him. Taking steps, her slightly healed boots clip clopped across the pavement. The clicking echoing in the streets as she jogged across the street to the building. Pushing the door open, she stepped inside. While it looked nicer than the outside, it still wasn't to be underestimated.

The woman in gray didn't know the owner Adrian, but her partner knew more. She was a recent transfer from Detroit. Place was a dump too, but this wasn't much better of a town. She waltzed closer to the bar as Adrian called to her. "You have a friend at the end of the bar. Having the usual?"

She looked up and nodded, "Just the coke. Let'em think what they want about it. Send it down the bar."

Walking towards the trench-coated man, she sat down in the chair nearby with a space between them as her drink arrived at her spot. The music was heard overhead.  Taking a sip, she let the light shine across her plump reddish lips as she spoke. "Frank."

That's when Alana saw the other woman nearby. She looked familiar to her. But she was clearly looking for Frank too. She leaned towards him. "Friend? Girlfriend? Or the contract?"

The wait began as she wondered what trouble they'd encounter this night. Wherever she went, trouble always followed...

OOC: Alana as Detective
[Show/Hide]

Reply #3
[ Lieutenant Commander Frank Arnold | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]

@Pierce @Eirual @Elyria

Frank's hard face became harder, colder for he knew the case couldn't be any good as soon as she walked through the door.  It was the subtle signs, a shifting of the cigarette, the knotting of the brow.  She was trouble on two legs with a dress and a broad elegant hat.  There was no way a face that innocent looking came from an angel.  Trouble came in many forms in streets of Brooklyn, and when it was tall, blonde, and carried a voice as smooth and seductive as a barrel of illegal Kentucky bourbon, he knew he should stay away.  It was a character flaw, one that always killed the cat, and tried to get him on a regular basis.  A dame walked in and said she needed help, it could have been a cheating husband trying to bilk her, or a jealous lover trying to kill her.  He never knew what it was, but trouble followed in the form of lead pipe, or a 38 copper slug.  And he couldn't stay away.  It was a weakness, that voice that seductive sultry that asked for help, it was siren call that beckoned him down that dark rabbit hole.

Frank see sawed back and forth, but felt himself falling into the trap when a read headed heap of counter trouble walked in.  What made this trouble a little better was that his partner Alana at least had his back. He nodded as he joined her.  "I don't even know the broad's name Alana.  She's the third for sure.  The other two.  Only time will tell."  Frank turned his cold blue eyes on the stranger as he took his cigarette out with two fingers.  The PI flicked the cigarette in the ash tray before blowing out a stream of blue smoke then grabbed the scotch and pounded it back before raising it to signal Adrian for another one.  Arctic eyes continued watching the stranger as Adrian came over and poured another couple of fingers in the glass.  He took another drag of the nasty stick before blowing the stream of smoke in the stranger's direction.  "It's a nasty habit, and I'm not talking about the smokes."  Frank reached into the pocket under his jacket and pulled out a pack before tapping one out and offering it to the stranger.  "Vice always has a price and this city is steeped in that cost, so tell us stranger, who are you and what do you need help with?"

Reply #4
[ Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]

She watched with guarded eyes as a woman approached the table, keeping her hands out of sight for now, not knowing if this was a friend of the man, or someone else entirely.  After listen to the brief exchange, she came to realize this was the man’s partner and she let herself relax a fraction.

Watching the interaction between the two made her slightly uncomfortable. The woman, who Frank had called Alana, made her wary. Her voice seemed loud to Mia’s ears. Of course, that could have been all a matter of perception since Mia had been trying to stay quiet.

Frank turned back to her and asked his first questions. She nervously looked around the room and leaned closer, “My name is Mia and I think someone has been following me.” Mia looked between the two, “For at least the past week I’ve felt like I am being watched. And it has me spooked.”

Mia’s hand slid into her bag and fingered the small gun hidden there. But that was not what she wanted. After a moment she pulled out a large wad of bills rolled up and wrapped with a rubber band. “I heard you can find anything. I want you to find out who is following me, and why.”

Reply #5
[ Lt. Commander Alana Pierce | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy] | ATTN: @RyeTanker @Eirual @Elyria [Show/Hide]

The soft face of Alana looked on at Frank as she drank her coke sitting at the bar. Seated with her overcoat strewn open and arms resting on the tabletop. She looked at the contract. She divulged her name as Mia. She seemed quiet and reserved. Something that would have to change if Frank and her were to work their magic on the scenario the woman needed them for. Nevertheless, Alana scanned the woman and looked for anything that may inherently help in their quest to uncover her stalkers in the wind.

Alana glanced at Frank again, making eye contact briefly to relay thoughts on the mark. Mia's relaxation at her own approach was noticeable as she continued to people watch the blonde woman. Keeping her own hat hovering above her eyes to let little light from the bar cause a glow on her face. Alana however was not soft spoken for a woman. She was average speech in decibels. The echo traveled the small area of the room.

Eyes narrowed below the rim of her hat as she heard Mia's plea for help, followed by a large swath of bills rolled up. "Do you know anyone who might be after you? Anyone who might have their attention on you?" Pierce stood up now to receive the wad of cash in her trenchcoat before Frank could ask further questions. "Rest assured mam, we'll get to the bottom of this. But if you could direct us where to start, that might be beneficial in this situation if we're to uncover your hidden stalkers."

She reached for arm around Mia and pulled her close to Frank and herself. Looking at the barkeep she gave a head nod as if to say, piss off. He nodded and obliged to the other side of the bar to tend to other customers.

"What's next Frank? This is your territory."

Reply #6
[En. Mia Dunne || Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
Attn: @RyeTanker  @Pierce

Mia was taken aback by the woman who seemed to have taken over the conversation, all but grabbing the money from her hand before she could protest.  Mia looked nervous, wondering if this was the right move. She glanced at the man and then turned back to the woman and whispered angrily, “Just who in the sam hill do you think you are? I thought I was meeting him, no one mentioned some grabby floozy! Are you really even with him?”

She reached her hand into her purse under the table and put her hand around the gun. It still felt foreign to her since she’d only just acquired it, “And isn’t that supposed to be your job, to find the answers? All I know is that since I got home last week, someone has been loitering outside my home, near the office I work at and even at the bus stop. And I have no idea why!”

Reply #7

@Pierce @Eirual @Elyria

Frank sat there for a moment and tapped his cigarette before taking a drink of the amber battery acid.  Taking another puff, he listened then blue a cloud of blue smoke over the blonde's head.  "Listen Doll, do you know why I keep my hands on the table instead of under it?" the PI asked.  He didn't wait for an answer.  "It avoids the unpleasantness of misunderstandings.  I can't see your hands, you're not holding a smoke or a drink, so you could have a gun under there, or a knife."  The bearded man took another long blue puff before gesturing with his.  "Now not knowin if we're gonna get shot or stabbed tends to invite misunderstanding, so let's just stay cool and keep our hands off anything that'll cause someone to get hurt."  The PI took another sip before looking at the client.  "You'll need to forgive my partner here, she's still cop and always looking to get to the heart of the matter."  One more puff. "If anything untoward were to happen, you'd have to deal with her."

Frank took one last sip and stubbed out the cigarette. "Sorry, it's an occupational hazard, but while you're putting your hands somewhere comfortable where we can see them, we do need some more information.  What tipped you off that this person was someone that rubbed you the wrong way?  More importantly like Alana asked before. Did someone take a fancy to you recently, or did you do something to rub someone the wrong way?"  With the question posed, Frank simply stared at the blonde to see if she'd give them any more details on a very murky job.

Reply #8
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
Attn: @RyeTanker  @Pierce

Mia released her grip on the small handgun and pulled her hand free of the purse. She pulled the purse onto the table and set it to the side and put both her hands on the table in front of her, “Ok, you can see my hands now. And just so you know, there is a gun in that bag.” She gave a small tilt towards the purse, “I just got it because I am scared. As for your partner, she comes off like she’s looking to put a hole through me, not help me.”

Mia sighed heavily trying to calm her nerves. She kept darting fleeting glances around the room wondering if her stalker was hiding in a dark corner watching her even now. A shudder of fear worked through her body and could be seen by anyone looking at her. “I was trying to figure that out, I mean if I did something wrong, but I can’t think of anything. I meet a lot of people in my job. I’m a receptionist for the Fondor Business Group. But if any of them have taken a fancy, I just don’t see how, or why.” She unconsciously raised one hand and started to twist her finger around a small section of her hair as she talked, “But someone placed a large rock in front of my door last week. I thought it might have been a neighborhood punk having a go, but then, two days ago, I found another rock. This one was next to my chair in the office when I got back from lunch.”

She shook her head, “I’ve been trying to come up with some reason why someone is putting rocks near me, but that has me totally befuddled. But the past four days there has been this ... I am not even sure if it’s the same guy, but there’s been someone standing outside my home for hours after I get home, and then three people mentioned the same thing while I was at work. That there was someone outside who seemed to be watching the building.”

Reply #9

Pierce stood up when the irate woman was screaming obscenities at her. She reached for her gun in her trenchcoat pocket to be sure that if there was fire going off, she was first on the draw. But thankfully Frank deflated the scene letting the woman know to chill. Also letting her know that Alana was once a cop and was merely following protocol. Sliding her hand back from her trenchcoat, she relaxed again as the woman relinquished her hold on the metallic object hidden from view. She was no dumb individual and knew that if push came to shove, this lady was gonna hurt someone.

"No harm, no foul Frank. All's good m'am. I apologize if I'm making you nervous. Occupational hazard I'm afraid." She said tilting her hat in acknowledgment that the scene was officially done in her mind. Listening to Frank inquire, she got out a pad of paper and began to scribble the details down on it to collect the facts.

Watching the room as carefully as the blonde was, she listened in to the responses as she too scanned the area to be sure that no one was giving unwanted attention to the group. The responses she presented however were alarming and caused Pierce to wonder if it were something with the Fondor's or with someone's sick obsession with the woman.

She paused the blonde and looked at Frank and then back at her. "You said when home or not? Would you mind taking us to your home at one of the intervals that there wasn't someone watching? I have an idea how to possibly trap one of them should they come closer than that and say decide to go inside for a closer look as it were."

Of course Alana was proposing finding a wig maker who might be able to help disguise her as the client here in the event they needed to be captured for this to be pulled off. And she was after all a similar match in stature that it just might be doable to pull off. All the undercover ops she had been involved with came to mind as she looked at the blonde and sized her up, her mannerisms and speech. She was always good at mimicry when she was younger. So this should be a piece of cake.

"Frank, if we take her to the 'shop', we might be able to do a switcheroo on this situation. At least to give you and our guest here a leg to follow. I can take care of myself if things go down." She said matter of factly, truly unsure if she could or not. But the implications could be dire if she chose poorly. For both women.

Reply #10
[ Lieutenant Commander Frank Arnold | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]   @Pierce @Eirual @Elyria

Frank nodded at what Alana was proposing.  It was risky splitting up, but they needed to cover more ground quickly.  "Alright.  It ain't a great plan, but it's a plan.  Alana, let's head over to Mia's house first to take a look around  Maybe we'll get lucky and our peeping tom is gonna be hanging around already."  Frank really doubted it, but he'd seen enough stupid stuff to not discount it. "Let's head back to the office first where we can finalize the details and grab the car.  We can finalize the details, and grab what ever you'll need.  Alana can stay with you over night after that and I'll come around in the morning to switch out. "

Just as Frank finished explaining, a pair of heavy set men in fedora's and trench coats, one in grey, the other in brown.  The arctic eyes began tracking the two as they approached the bar and Adrian greeted the two men happily enough.  The problem was that Frank could see the sweat start to bead on his receding hairline. It was a shakedown.  He didn't want any trouble at this point, and getting the client injured before the gig even began was good way to go out of business. Fast.  He flicked his head towards the two hoods as they leaned over the bar and appeared to chat amiably with the nervous bar owner.  "Come on Adrian, Ricky's always been a friend, making sure your... fine establishment can stay in business.  It's just another expense you have to deal with."  "Aw come on Alfie, we've known each other for years, but the amounts gone up triple since the new year, I don't know how much more I can take...." "Well, maybe you'se gotta change the way you do business.  Don't matter none, the money in three days, or you'll really know what goin out of business means. Capiche?" Adrian visibly paled and nodded jerkily.

The hood turned to leave and spotted the trio at the table. He leered at what he saw and tapped his buddy on the chest then pointed. "Hey Paulie.  I think those two need some real company instead of that raggedy zoot, let's go say hi."  Frank blinked and sighed at this, he really needed to find a new bar to meet clients at.  No end of trouble.  The bearded man stubbed out his cigarette and got his coat to leave, way too late though.  "Let's go.  Mia, stay behind Alana and me."  Putting on his barely dry trench, he stuffed his hands in his pockets and slipped them into a pair of brass knuckles he perpetually kept there.  The two PIs had just gotten out of their seats when 'Paulie' blocked Frank's way and 'Alfie' sidled up to Alana and snaked his arm around her waist while giving her chest a good look over. "And where do you think you're going baby cake?  We haven't been introduced yet."

Reply #11

Alana was intrigued by the fact Frank was willing to go along with the bait and switch she'd proposed. Especially since it would mean putting her own life on the line. But what she wasn't totally prepared for was the two goons that paraded themselves into the bar for the evening to hustle the barkeep. The man seemed startled and upset as she peered at him not realizing that the two would soon be distracted. Pierce had seen enough of these sort of things in her time on the force. But as a P.I. now, she had a little less luxury of shoot first, ask questions later on them. Nor did she have a badge having resigned months earlier due to scum infiltrating the force.

She eyed Frank as the knowing glance was transferred between the two of them about what was to come. She nodded in acceptance of the situation as she favored a little less of a tussle in the the vicinity. Also not to scare their client off into firing her handgun. As their attention traversed to her especially, she put on a kind, softened smile to alleviate any misgivings that may happen...and to redirect their attention to disarm themselves. Alana knew that Frank had a pair of brass knuckles in his coat, but she had some toys of her own in hers.

Alfie approached Alana and placed his big grubby hands on her waist as he breathed heavily staring down at her chest. She could feel the discomfort welling inside her as she knew despite the situation she'd be alright, but that didn't make it any less unpleasant.

"And where do you think you're going baby cake?  We haven't been introduced yet."

Putting on the sweet southern charm her appearance gave off, she smiled at the man, ignoring the foul stench from his breath. "Oh? Little ol' me? I was jus' wait'n for a big strong man to come up and buy me a drink." She winked and say back down on the stool as the man did the say before her. She let Frank deal with the other hooded man, Paulie, she thought. This one was going to be an easy target.

"Eh' Frank, don't wait up for me. I'm gonna be a little while." She winked in his direction in a particular angle to let him know that she had things under control near the bar. Watching as Mia, Frank and Paulie headed to the back of the room, she returned her attention to the man in the chair besides her. He was still clutching onto her waist or rather the small of her back as she allowed it...for now.

"Whatcha' havin? Muh treat."

Alfie lit up like a Christmas tree with excitement as the barkeep looked puzzled at the scene playing out before him. Not knowing the angle that Pierce was heading towards. Especially with the matter that she wasn't too frequent either which certainly helped her case.

"I'll 'ave a gin. And a girlie drink fur the lady." He said in a kinder tone than when they'd first waltzed in.

Deciding to wait until he got his drink she watched as he took a swig and she took one as well before quietly spitting it on the floor to avoid intoxication of any kind. "You look tense honey. Why don't you let me rub those shoulders for you?" She said cracking her dainty fingers, coat still on and hiding her form beneath it.

"Ahh, thats sounds nice red." He said as he turned his back to her and pulled off his jacket, which also had his firearm in it as she let him drink again before rubbing his neck some.

"Ooh, there are some tight spots you have there." She said whispering in his ear, further disarming him. Granted, she'd gained some practice lately too which helped in her finessing of the situation. He further relaxed.

"That's great. Whens ur done, you can turn me around and take care of the front..."

She shivered quietly at the proposition but then slid a thin, braided rope from her sleeve that had a nice thick leather handle wrapping the wire. "Hold on hun, gettin a drink and then gonna finish your neck." She nodded to the barkeep to drop when she did her next play.

Alfie seemed excited with his back still turned to her as she pulled the rope and grasped both ends around before pulling it in front of his neck and yanking as hard as she could before attaching it to a clip that would auto-tighten choker as he struggled. His arms began flailing about, reaching behind himself at her as she heard his throat gurgle spit and attempt to speak.

"Stop struggling..." She said a little louder at him. "The more you fight, the tighter it gets. Now listen to how this is going to go down. You and your pal had better start talking or you're not going to last long. My pal over there is liking taking care of ol Paulie as we speak." She stayed partly away from his head in the event he tried to bash her face with the back of his head. "What are you doing here?"

He gurgled, "WE...waz hustling...the..barkeep...but remembe'd...we has business wit...the blonde..."

Information, great she thought! "What's that business?" Alana said tightening the grips on the man as he swung a little more.

"Tailing 'er...boss...her...house..." The man attempted to turn around as Alana pulled the grip extra hard, choking the man out before he fell off the seat and to the floor unconscious. She quietly cuffed him to the stool.

"Call the police and get him out of here. If he gives you any trouble again, let him know I won't be as gentle next time." She told the barkeep as she passed a $20 bill on the counter and paid for the mess before heading towards the back for Frank and Mia. In hopes that they were alright. Pierce saw however that the back door to the bar was open and there wasn't much sound coming from it aside from an occasional grunt. With any luck, they had gotten some information too.

Reply #12
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
ATTN: @Rye @pie

Mia listened to the two PI’s discussing where to take her and some sort of decoy plan.  If it solved this problem of who was following her and why, she was all for it.  Her gaze was drawn to two men who entered the bar and she stiffened.  When they both went to the bar and started hustling the barkeep she started to relax.  While they did sort of look like the guys that had been watching her, she could be wrong. After all she’d only seen the one from a distance. When Frank suggested they leave she grabbed her purse and her umbrella and stood. Somehow Frank was in front of her, and the two men were fast approaching. “I ..” She barely got that one word out before one of the goons had wrapped his paw around Alana. Mia moved further behind Frank as Alana guided one of the goons back to the bar.  The other goon was eyeing Frank in an unpleasant way.

Mia just wanted to get out of speakeasy as quickly as she could. Easing past Frank and the other man she headed quickly for the back, hoping there would be a way to get out.  She almost made it to the back door when she heard the goon calling after her and pushing at Frank to get him out of the way, “Yo, Doll face, What’s the rush?” Paulie called out as he headed for her with an evil look on his face, “I know a nice place right outside where we can get to know each other real good!”  “No thanks,” Mia said as she quickened her pace to escape whatever the goon had in mind. She hit the back door running and ran to the first place she thought she could hide, behind the trash cans lined up in the alley.

Reply #13
[ Lieutenant Commander Frank Arnold | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]   @Pierce @Eirual @Elyria

It was supposed to be a game.  The important one would paw at Alana, and the bruiser and Frank would stand there and stare each other down like a pair of guard dogs.  Except it didn't.  Especially when the money decided it was better to run off.  Frank felt himself get nudged one way, then pushed the other and he had to grip a table to stand up right.    Luckily, his back was to Alfie and he was too busy mentally undressing Alana for him to see the brass knuckles as they came out of the pockets.  Alana let Frank know had her own situation in hand, so the PI went after Paulie and the contract.  He quickly walked towards the door and shoved his hands back in his pockets as he followed the goon out.  The bearded man pushed open the door and began looking right, then left.  His quarry obviously saw no need to concern himself with just another rumpled desperado PI as he walked down the alley into the darkness looking for the blonde.  "Well, if you don wanna go some place nice, we can get to know each other right here."  Paulie leered at Mia as she pushed a couple of trash bins aside.

Frank walked up right behind the taller mob man and spun him around.  He wanted him to see what was coming, so he took a moment. "The lady ain't interested punk." Big meaty paws grabbed the collar of the PIs trench. "And youse wasn't asked what she " A brass knuckle split his face knocking teeth and blood out of his mouth.  The injured mobster roared in pain and stumbled as he gripped his indignity.  Recovering, he turned a murderous glare on the bearded man who'd dare touched him.  Frank felt himself get tackled and slammed against the wall.  Grunting, he never saw the shot that slammed his hard gut twice slightly winding him.  Another fist hit him in the face snapping his head to once side and the big man grunted with the hit.  Another fist was coming in, when an arm went up to block the punch.  Paulie looked stunned that someone had dared to not get beaten up by him and turned his confused hate filled face on the man with cold blue eyes.  Frank didn't even smile as the brass knuckle crashed into the side of his opponents head forcing him back.  More brass punches followed and the man collapsed under the barrage.  Frank jumped on him and pounded his face till it was nothing but grizzly ruin.  Breathing hard when he was sure mobster was beyond incapacitated, Frank wiped the brass knuckles on the downed man's expensive looking shirt and then found a handkerchief in the pocket.  He used this to get nasty bits off his equipment before tossing it on the bloody face.  The big man stood up without a word and reached into his own pocket for his own handkerchief and wiped his face of the detritus and exertion before going to look for the broad that seemed to have started all this mess.

Frank made his way over to the garbage bins, and he smiled as he offered his hand tot he blonde scientist since he couldn't help himself.  "Feels like Enyd's food tour doesn't it Mia?  Oops, sorry for the character break." Good thing his main job wasn't acting or he'd never find another gig again.  Taking a breath to reset himself, the cold face returned though he couldn't quite get rid of the twinkle. "You okay Miss?  Cause I get the feelin there's more to this here story.  One of Ricky's Capo's don't just walk into any bar to shake down the owner.  He's got soldiers to do that. Who're you really?"

Reply #14
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08 | Deck 21 | Vector 03| USS Theurgy]
ATTN: @RyeTanker @Pierce

Mia crouched behind the trash cans as the big goon made his way through the doors.  The cans infront of her were shoved away and she stumbled back. She lost her footing and pressed herself against the wall to keep her distance from the goon.  Her eyes widened as the goon picked Frank up by his collar. Ok, so this was not going to end well for either of them, she thought to herself, thanking the stars that at least the holodeck had safety protocols in place.

Mia gasped as Frank hit the thug square in the face. He let go of Frank and stumbled back a step or two then charged Frank. The two of them ended up rolling on the wet surface of the alley trading punches.  Mia looked around for something to hit the goon with and get him off Frank. By the time she found an old pipe to wield as a club, Frank was pummeling the guy into a pulp. To say Mia was impressed would have been an understatement. She’d never seen Frank in a fight, well at least not when he was throwing punches instead of pulling innocents out of harms way.

Once the goon was down and out for the count, Frank came over to offer her a hand up. She chuckled when he mentioned Enyd’s food tour and had to force the smile off her face to get back into her role at the ‘damsel in distress’.

She took his hand and stood, looking rather guilty as she lowered her head, “He’s my Brother.  I hate him! He won’t leave me alone. He’s got his goons following me now. I need to get away. If I don’t, I’m afraid he’ll do something horrible.”

Reply #15

Pierce having finished off her own thug made a mad dash to the back of the bar to see what was happening with Frank and Mia. However by the time she arrived, Paulie was now on the ground and completely harmless. She caught the visual of Frank cleaning his brass knuckles off as she go closer to him. Still not close enough but closing the gap quickly.

Seeing Frank crouch near a set of garbage bins, she smiled seeing that the pair were okay now. Frank, the bruiser and Mia the dame. Funny how that worked she thought. She caught their break in character and grinned. After that, hearing the inquiry to their client was where the real info came out. As he helped her up, she mentioned that the one after her was her own brother.

"Hmm...so that's the story. What's his history Mia? What would make him come after you like that?"

She crossed her arms in thought as she pulled one hand up to her chin and appeared puzzled. "With what we just witnessed, we might want to go to the shop and get some items Frank. Maybe do the ol' switcheroo on them if they come a knocking at her door. Have her pose as me for a bit and see what happens with her out of harms way and you nearby."

Alana paced around the alleyway as she released her crossed arms. She snapped her fingers. "Then again, what if we took the fight to him? Anything we should know about him Mia?"

This was a rather peculiar case to be certain. Familial issues and gangsters. In the holodeck, this is her type of show. In life however, not so much. "What do you think Frank? Any other options you seein'?"

Reply #16

Frank stared at the improbable answer in front of him.  "You're the sister of Ricky the Ringer?"  The bearded man shook his head in disbelief at the connection between the bombshell in front of him and the mob.  "Well sister, you sure are somethin.  Most broads would love be part of the mob family, but I guess you're cut from a different cloth."  The PI looked around and saw his red headed partner.  When no Alfie followed, Frank figured Alana had done something they were all going to regret now.  "Come on, we can't wait around.  There's gonna button men on every corner when Alfie wakes up and lets Riccardo know his sister is on the loose and we also smacked a capo around.  We'll talk in the car while we get to the safe house." 

The PI grabbed the dainty blonde by the arm and pulled her along out to the street.  There wasn't a whole lot of talk on the way back to the office in a dilapidated short office rise.  It was dark, slightly on the dank side and always seemed to carry a haze of degradation or cigarette everywhere.  Frank kept his eyes peeled for trouble.  Mafia soldiers could be flooding the street at any moment.  Hopefully he looked down enough on his luck and Alana was new enough in town that they wouldn't be recognized.  Opening the main door casually, but carefully, Frank stopped to listen for a moment.  He was greeted with silence, which he took as a good sign before walking up the dark wood stairs, occasionally lit by a light that fizzed on an off every once in a while. 

It was only the next floor when the trio came to a door that said 'Frank PI' there was an 'and Alana' on a piece of cardboard taped underneath it.  "Paulie must be some sort of stupid to try to feel up a mob princess.  Sister, you just brought a whole heap of trouble on our heads that I can't guarantee we're gonna get out of. Tha mob don't take kindly to their own being beat up to start with, and when someone makes off with a family member, even a civilian like yourself, it gets complicated real fast."   Frank went to a cabinet and opened it to reveal safe which he quickly spun the combination as it rapidly clicked away.  With a clank and a heave, the heavy door opened to reveal money, documents, fire arms, and blades of different varieties.  It was amazing what one could get when you knew who's palm to grease. 

"You better start talkin fast lady on why you couldn't just ask for this watcher to go away, this is somethin your brother should be able to take care of as much as you hate him." The bearded man tossed Alana her gun belt with it's holstered automatic.  He pulled his own out with the noisy and noisy man stopping Colt 45.  Into pockets went money, a grenade, then a Thompson SMG with a drum magazine got pulled out and the PI pulled back the bolt to chamber a round. The PI moved out of the way so Alana could load up as his blue eyes bore in on the blonde. "Maybe if we can find this guy, we can use him as a bargaining chip." Frank felt a chill go through him at even suggesting such a thing, but that was the script.

Reply #17
[Ens. Mia Dunne |Holodeck 08 | Deck 21 | Vector 03]

ATTM: @Pierce  @RyeTanker

Mia watched as the two PI’s armed themselves to the teeth and felt unsure of what she was supposed to do now. “I... I’m sorry. I didn’t think it would go down like this. I was just hoping you could find a way to  help me disappear.” Mia shook her head in resignation, “He’s going to kill me you know. All because I won’t marry the barbarian he wants me to. I will not be forced to marry one of his cronies. I’ve seen how he and his so called friends treat their wives.  He is nothing like our father. Dad was just ...bad. My brother is pure evil! And so are his little group.”

She paced the room shaking her head, “I should have just run away. But, Liza said you could help. I guess we were both wrong.” She started towards the door, “I’ll leave, then you’ll be safe.” She nodded to herself trying to convince herself it was true, “They won’t go after you if I am not here!”

Mia didn’t even make it to the door before a loud bang sounded out in the street and she dropped to the floor in fright, trying to grab for the small pistol in her purse.

Reply #18

Taking in all the new information between Frank and Mia, she had to think about their options. Granted, maybe she should have thought about having actual letters and not cardboard on their office too. She shook it off and armed herself with a revolver and a pocket pistol that thankfully fit in the confines of her coat's internal pockets. The news that came from Mia caused Alana to shiver as she imagined the mob and their grubby hands after her.

"Too late for us I'm afraid." She paused for affect glancing at the two of them. "The moment we decked some of their guys in the dive bar, we became targets too. So unless we get to the bottom of this and soon, we're gonna be pushing daisies." She smirked thinking how she always wanted to use the cliche' she saw in the old moving pictures.

The sound of a loud bang exploded outside the building and a fireball could be seen from the shaded windows as it lit up the street. Alana ducked down behind the desk and cabinet with her pistol in hand as she looked at Frank. "Like I said, we're a part of this now too." Running over to the window, she peered through the shade briefly and saw that their vehicle was toast and still flaming from the view on the street.

"We're gonna have to find a way out of here that won't draw attention." She looked at Mia. "Don't go anywhere. We're going to get you to safety. Just as soon as we figure out how to escape before being shot at."

Looking back at the window, she could see a few of the mobster's hired goons nearby laughing at the vehicle as they pulled out their machine guns and pointed them toward the building. Despite the fact they were on the 2nd floor, these guys wouldn't take long to get in, and they lacked the means to actually escape. Well, unless they rappelled down the other side of the building. Or created a distraction.

Pierce knew she was out of her depth not having the gear a cop or detective would normally have. Utilizing her instincts she ran to the safe again and found a few hand grenades, pocketing one of them and quietly pulling the window open as she looked down at the goons heading to their building and nearly to the door. She prayed the grenades once thrown, minus the pin would detonate only once the timer ran out, not the hit of the building. After all, they weren't American-made grenades.

Closing her eyes, she pulled the pin and chucked it at the nearby building, connecting and it bounced off, sliding to the goons car and within seconds a second loud explosion could be heard. The men turned around and ran back towards their car as the driver was now on fire and roasting to death. She could hear them screaming and yelling. "Must have just gotten lucky or unlucky depending on who I just torched. But I think we have that diversion. Let's scat before they come back here."

Reply #19
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08 | Deck 21 | Vector 03[/b]]

ATTM: @Pierce  @RyeTanker

Mia was still on the floor. Her panic wasn’t altogether just an act. The explosion had brought back the last memory from the accident that had caused her to be put into stasis. Mia closed her eyes tightly as the second explosion sounded. It took her a few seconds that seemed like an eternity to open her eyes, almost expecting to be back in the lab instead of on the holodeck. “Just the holodeck,” she whispered to herself, “get it together, Mia.” 

Pierce’s words penetrated her mind and Mia pushed herself up from the floor, Her voice held a tremble as she spoke, “Yes, let’s umm... skedaddle.“ She glanced towards the window as smoke rose from the two vehicles now in flames on the street.  Mia forced herself to get back into the story,“I’ll wager we won’t have much time to make ourselves scarce. “  

She grabbed the handbag from the floor and pulled out the handgun, “It ain’t much considering what you both have, but at least it’s something.” She said as she held the weapon in her hand. Looking over at Frank she nodded, ready to follow wherever they needed to go next. She could hear the squealing sound of sirens approaching the area. “I think we had better hurry.”

OOC: Figured I would give her a little PTSD episode since this is the first 'explosion' she's been in after her accident in the lab.

Reply #20

Frank winced when the grenade went off and the car went from a work of art to a twisted conflagration.  A burning effigy poured out of the vehicle and flapped his arms around, adding more oxygen to the fire.  "Stop, drop, and roll."  Frank whispered to himself as he shook his head.  There was a temptation to shoot the poor bastard just to put him out of his misery, but the sound of a siren wailing in the distance changed his mind.  The area was gonna become really hot with official notice in the area.  The big man closed the safe and gave it a quick spin where it rapidly clicked to lock.  "Come one, the car's out back."

Frank led the way down while yelling could still be heard outside as someone was wither panicking or trying to make sense of the situation.  These thugs thought they were tough, but they hadn't counted on meeting people who were armed to the teeth.  There was no sense of caution as he went down the stairs quickly.  Leading with the tommy gun pointed all the way down in case trouble came up to meet them.  He could feel the tension in his neck, never knowing if or when someone would decide to make an appearance, and if there was going be cold steel pointed back at him.  Quickly step by step was all they could do to get outta dodge as fast as possible. 

After an eternity, they reached the landing and Frank turned left instead of right and led the group to a door under the stairs.  It was a service corridor for the electrical works that were never fixed and the black painted pipes that still miraculously worked.  Frank grabbed the knob and turned it.  Frank let out an epithet when it wouldn't turn.  Shaking the knob, nothing happened. Waving the two women out of the way, he took a run at the door, but it refused to budge.  The cold blue eyes took a look at the front door, and briefly considered going out the front, guns blazing, but that would invite more trouble.  Steeling himself, he backed up to near the front door and charged the service door.  Frank grunted as he crashed into the door and the wood fractured under the impact.  The siren was getting louder and Frank took another run at the door with shattered as he hit it and went through. 

The PI tumbled to the ground amongst a pile of wood as the sub machine gun went clattering ahead of him.  Shaking his head on the ground to clear it of the impact, he scrambled to get up and grabbed the gun. "Come on! The car's just ahead. Frank urged as he made it to a dark metal door and pushed it open.  There was a black 1946 Ford Super De Luxe convertible sitting and pointed at the street from the alleyway.  Frank took a look around, and he felt his hackles rise.  It wasn't what he saw, but what he wasn't hearing.  Where was the siren?  Just then, he heard an Irish accent that was distorted by being around the corner.  "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, what the hell happened here?"  The cops were on scene.  "I think we need a way to distract them so we can get make a run for it." Frank told Alana, though he was wondering if Mia would take part as well.

Reply #21

Watching the door shatter, she admired the sheer strength it took the man to do so. Something she'd been capable of years ago. But not today. The time was getting thin as they heard the sirens growing nearer. Seeing him get back up after bashing the door in, Alana pulled Mia with her to the car Frank had so graciously provided them for the getaway. She had to admit, it was a beautiful machine for it's day. Something she could relate to was old machines.

Taking heed of Frank looking and listening she stopped too as she too noted the lack of sirens. Hearing the situation calming but not out of the woods yet, Frank suggested they do something about the cops to get out of dodge.

"What about setting off a "bomb" on the roof? Anyone have good aim? I have one on me that looks like a flare but sounds like a bomb going off. If we light it, we can get their attention to the roof on the building opposite us to make them barge in for us to get away."

She shrugged. "Unless you have another idea Frank and Mia. I guess I have a flare for the over the top methods." She smiled at the pair.

"The other option is to go out the front and confront the cops if you think they can be trusted. I still have my badge and can have us play real life and mention how we saw from the window the car exploding and came down to see what happened." She peered around the building. "Gives us a cleaner alibi and a reason to drive out of here too without raising too much suspicion."

Reply #22
[Ens. Mia Dunne | Holodeck 08 | Deck 21 | Vector 03[/b]]

ATTM: @Pier @rye

Mia was still shaking from her reaction to the explosions. Hiding her trembling of hands by gribbing tight to her purse as she followed her would be rescuers. She looked at the car and at the alley, “I... Umm... Maybe we can just really just get in the car, With you driving,” She said as she looked at Pierce, “Maybe Frank and I can just duck real low. Who’s gonna suspect you had anything to do with it?” 

Mia had no idea really what would be the best recourse in a time like this. She just needed a few minutes to get her own emotions under control. Her reaction to the explosions had come as a not so pleasant reminder of those moments in the lab and her mind was still trying to blank them out once more. “I would volunteer, but I don’t know how to operate something like this,” She said waving a hand at the car.  She almost chuckled at the thought that crossed her mind that maybe she should learn some day. 

“The less we appear to be running. The less they will come after us,” She said looking between the two PI’s, “Right?”

Reply #23
[ Lieutenant Commander Frank Arnold | Holodeck 08| Deck 21 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]   @Pierce @Eirual

Frank nodded at the suggestions. None of the options were good, but when were they? "Well short of shooting at the cops, I don't really see a way out. Set it up Alana, butaybe see if you can get the bomb to go off on the next building so they're not looking at this alley way when make a break for it." The PI took in his surroundings for a moment. "I ain't too keen on having you go back into the building, but I don't see too much of a choice. The fire escape starts at the second floor and the ladder is locked above ground. You can use that to come back down after the distraction is set. I'll start the car when I hear a bang and meet you at the base of the ladder."

With what amounted to orders issued, Frank tipped his fedora to Alana and gently grabbed Mia by the arm and led her deeper i to the dark alley. There was a hit of hesitancy with Frank looking for the door to the garage since he didn't really work here and didn't know the area like the back of his hand. Rescuing a door, he tried the key, and found the lock wouldn't twist. "Damn. I thought it was this door. Maybe the next one." No such luck and Frank cursed a couple more times. At the fourth door, he smacked his head as he smiled at Mia for his own fogetfulness. "Right, it was a covered door. Here, hold this." Frank told Mia as he passed the Tommy gun over,yhen started heaving ply board and sheet metal out of the way. "Do you hear something back there?" a voice suddenly asked. Frank tensed and stopped as he waited to see if they'd been found. "We've got bleeders and a torched car here and you're wondering about strange noises? Come on help with these ones." Came an Irish brogue.

The PI sighed his relief and moved the last piece of ply board which he carefully put down with as little sound as possible. The key worked this time, and Frank gently opened the doors to reveal an ancient form of transportation, a combustion engine car. Frank's mind still whistled at the grace and elegance of the curves, then mentally shook his head and put the car in neutral, and very rolled the vehicle out into the alley. Unlocking the front passenger door, Frank signalled to Mia to get in. "Alright doll, you're riding up front so Alana can watch our tails. Toss the gun in the back. "

Reply #24

Alana nodded at Frank's signing off of the situation and headed back inside to find a good way to rocket her flare bomb off to the next building. The stairs were getting tiring for her as she experienced the adrenaline hitting her suddenly with the thrill of technically speaking, blowing something up. Finally she arrived near Frank's PI office and looked for her slingshot. Scrambling to her desk, she found it hidden beneath some papers and closed the drawer before heading to the window. Striking the match, she lit the flare and took aim at the building across the street...and fired.

Quickly, she closed the window and backed away from it for her to not be seen in the frame when it went off. The sound was quiet enough and the men on the street seemed to be searching low as the flare lit up the sky and Pierce ducked down, crawling to the back window area near the escape ladder. Following the light, was the sound and it was loud! She smirked as she closed the window behind her as she climbed onto the escape ladder.

Now if only Frank were...and right on time, he arrived below the ladder as she put on her gloves and slid down some of the way after jumping down a level quickly. Then another, and finally, Alana attempted to release the ladder which didn't want to budge. More than likely rusted shut. Sliding down further, she dangled her legs as she had less than 5 feet beneath her, she landed on the trunk of the car, barrel rolled and landed on the pavement before climbing into the back of the car.

"Well, that should keep them busy for the moment. We have a narrow window until those guys realize that it was a fake." She grabbed the tommy-gun and prepared to roll down the passenger window in the event she needed to actually use the device. "Coast appears to be clear. I'll watch our six."

Simple Audio Video Embedder