Skip to main content
Topic: Day 01 [0955 hrs.] Acting on a Thawt (Read 4719 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 01 [0955 hrs.] Acting on a Thawt

"ACTING ON A THAWT"

STARDATE 57558.73
MARCH 11, 2381
0955 HRS

[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan  @Numen

Elro’s eyes scanned the eclectic array of consoles before him, his brow furrowed in a myre of concentration as he used his hand to navigate through the information presented to him on each of the screens. The Betazoid was sat somewhat uncomfortably in his new office, not quite used to the new space just yet, attempting to conduct some research into several key issues whilst he had a few moments of free time to do so. Unfortunately, for no lack of determination, he hadn’t been getting especially far.

He’d briefly mentioned his prime concern to Captain Ives earlier that morning, in passing, who had suggested that they meet at a later time to discuss the matter in greater depth. The matter in question was that the medical database for the USS Theurgy was not up-to-date with the latest Starfleet research. Of course, very few places outside of the Starfleet Medical campus were kept completely up to date with all new medical discoveries, but the Theurgy was particularly stagnant in regards to the new information they had had access to. Some of the information was at least five months out of date, which, were a Doctor to rely on the database in regards to something they weren't entirely confident with, could easily be the difference between a devistating misdiagnosis and a sucessful treatment plan...

Most routine procedures and minor treatments wouldn't require any reliance on the database. It was when conditions such as  Lieutenant Martin’s arose, that the database was essential. None of the Doctors in Starfleet had the ability to know everything about every medical condition that existed... As such, when the obscure arose, they would need a reliable source to fall back on for additional information. It wasn't like the ship had a consultant neurologist aboard whom Elro could pass the Lieutenant's care onto.

Yet as far as the Doctor could see, that database would remain tantalisingly out of their grasp. At least, just for the time being, he hoped.

With a sigh, the Betazoid closed down some of the consoles before him, ending the onslaught of information regarding irumodic syndrome, much to the Doctor’s frustration. He hadn’t expected to find any new cures and answers in the medical database, but it was still exasperating to have a client with a known neurological condition whom he could offer no support or information beyond what he already knew. He was hoping that the database might've had something outside what he and the Lieutenant collectively knew...

However, the Doctor was pragmatic enough to know when he needed to stop his proverbial flogging of a dead horse and proceed with one of the other tasks he had set for himself to complete before he took time out to have lunch.

The first of those tasks, was to assess a new potential asset to the medical team…

An android whom had come aboard with those prisoners who had been captive aboard the Versant ship, whom he’d seen several times over the course of the previous day’s hellish triage. Elro truthfully had never put an enormous amount of stock in artificial live forms. He understood their usefulness, but with him being a Betazoid, he found it difficult, on occasion, to interact with something which claimed sentiance, but gave off the same empathic energy as a bulkhead… But given the reports he’d been left by the staff who’d been assigned to the night shift, the android had slaved non-stop in the sickbay since arriving aboard the ship.

It warranted a chat, at least, on Elro’s part.

If the chat went well, he then had a promise to Commander Hathev that he would need some support in fulfilling. Since the droid had thus far demonstrated no ill will to any of the crew, Elro was willing to give it a formal opportunity to demonstrate its usefulness as a potential future member of the medical team.

Still, Elro couldn’t help but feel somewhat hesitant as he approached the white-toned machine lingering by the bedside of a patient, its fingers demonstrating devices which he assumed to be medical instruments, though none he could outwardly identify from afar. The reports had detailed that the android had worked throughout the entirety of the previous day since coming aboard, along with remaining throughout the night without any rest. It was certainly one of the contributing factors that his sickbay wasn’t still full to the rafters with wounded…

“Excuse me?” Elro politely inquire, his left arm crossed in front of his torso whilst his right hand lingered near his jaw and occasionally delivered a sporadic gesture. “I’m Doctor Kobol , the Chief Medical Officer aboard the Theurgy.” His introduction was simple and polite, though he found the lack of any outward emotional resonance to his greeting somewhat offesetting. “I was just hoping to thank you for the assistance you provided during the aftermath of the Borg attack… And to ask whether you could spare me a moment just for a quick chat?”
Elro Kobol  - Chief Medical Officer - USS Theurgy - [Show/Hide]

Otheusz - Grey Scars Pirate - USS Theurgy - [Show/Hide]

Y'Lev - Syndicate Dominus - USS Theurgy - [Show/Hide]

Re: SD 57558.73: Acting on a Thawt

Reply #1
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TWilkins 
[Show/Hide]
Gradually, over the course of time she'd served on the Theurgy, V-Nine's patients had grown accustomed to her presence, but even more so, her observation of their demeanour had helped her emulate them as well.

Even before the upgrade of her processing systems - this addition of a Synthesis Code that the Ship A.I. had given her - she had been a learning program, well able to adapting to situations. When she had been activated, she'd only known the Code - and later the Old Code - as well as pertinent parts of the medical knowledge of the Savi Archive. Be that as it may, when she had been purposed to aid the Theurgy crew, she'd had no prior interactions with the organics from the Federation. Now, 24 hours yet to pass in service to the ship and its Commanding Officer, she had been able to pick up on a multitude of culturally distinctive traits around her, and she had been cataloguing everything by species and individuals to best sort what might be the best bedside manner for the next patient of similar organic heritage.

Though... emulate might be an inadequate term, for V-Nine found herself not saving data for sake of adaptability, but out of... a personal wish to learn more, and feeling gratified over the things she were learning from the crew. She learned... not for sake of efficiency and a heightened success-rate in her treatments, but because she had found this unused capacity in her runtime. A capacity for empathy and emotion that formerly had been a mere reaction-based expression installed into her pre-set mannerism.  She found her program to... expand into a territory that seemed infinite in potential. It was like having a new memory bank... and that she was writing her own program.

"There we go," she said to her patient and tilted her head a little when her thumb and forefinger closed. She spoke in a tone friendly enough to bridge the lack of an actual facial expression - aware that her cranial unit and her chassis only had body language to rely on when she put them at ease. "The anastethics I just gave you will help you relax enough for your body to adjust itself to the restored tissue without discomfort. I expect you to be cleared for duty on the morrow, crewman Stockedahl. Until then, you will either be resting in the Recovery Ward, or wait for your checkup in your quarters. One of the Medical Officers will be with you soon and tell you where you will be recuperating. Now, please make sure to flex that hand on a regular basis, otherwise you may loose mobility, okay?"

"Sure, and thank you... umm..."

"V-Nine will suffice, it's been a pleas-"

The voice of a man behind her made V-Nine turn around - her lens adjusting its zoom to the proximity of the new person. With her metal hands clasped in front of her platform's abdomen, she realised that the Chief Medical Officer of the ship had come to speak with her. Immediately, she raised a hand to where her mouth would have been and couldn't help the exclamation she made - her upgraded runtime having a life of its own.

"Oh, Doctor Kobol !" She even found herself standing a little bit taller at the praise she got. "Of course! It may not be my primary purpose but I was built to provide medical care. It was a bit surprising how [many patients there were that needed treatment, but I surmise that to be common after a battle, correct? I was actually hoping to find you instead of you finding me, but here we are!"

She tilted her head and looked the male over, and her sensors told her that it was a specimen of the Betazoid variety. "Do... you want to talk here or would you prefer we speak in your office? I do think there is no patient in the primary surgical suite any more, if you care to talk in private instead?"

Oh my, he is dashing...

Wherever did that useless data come from?

She began to run another self-diagnostic while she listened to Doctor Kobol .

Reply #2
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan @Numen

“Yes, perhaps we should move through to my office, for a little more privacy.” Elro confirmed to the android before him, somewhat amused by her obliviousness to the impact of a battle, not to mention her somewhat excited posturing over him having found her, as opposed to the other way around. “Yes, despite what it may appear, we were actually very fortunate to have so few casualties after such an encounter with the Borg. A lot of Starfleet vessels haven’t survived Borg encounters with much more than a cluster of escape pods.” His voice didn’t shift in tone, but he felt a bloom of melancholy in the pit of his gut as he thought about the Endeavour and all of the lives lost aboard.

He moved back through towards his office, quietly considering exactly what he planned to question to the android during his little interview. He could hardly take the same stance that Commander Stark had taken during his own interview… Elro wasn’t a man who was socially built for that sort of activity... Verbal charisma and conversational skill did not come naturally to the Betazoid.

“You have certainly been of value during our triage over the past 24 hours, and the night shift have informed me that you didn’t take so much as a break during your working…” Elro couldn’t help a passing thought that the android was lucky that Commander Ducote hadn’t found out about that… But he resisted the intention of voicing it aloud.

“However, I am sure you understand that now things are demonstrating slightly more semblance of being under control, that I, being the Chief Medical Officer aboard, do need take some time to evaluate as to whether you can continue serving in this capacity aboard this ship.” Elro defaulted to his usual stance of tactless honesty, unaccustomed to being especially diplomatic in matters of ship policy. “But please be aware, this is no reflection of your ability to perform medical procedures, but rather, your ability to adhere to Starfleet-standards of medical practice and ethics.”

“I must admit, I am not fully in-the-know about what occured aboard the Versant, but some of the injuries that the crew who had been held captive there were severe and seemed to be little more than experiments on sentient life, which is explicitly outlawed by Federation law. The only reason, in fact, that you were able to serve in this sickbay when you first came aboard, was because of the chaotic state we were in as a vessel. We have strict policies and regulations for medical staff, and since you did not study at Starfleet Medical, it does put you in a grey area...” He didn’t turn to address the android as he walked, though he halted as they reached the door, and he gestured for it to move into the office space first.

“But we can discuss all of this, and I am sure that you would like to talk about things with me; it is an oppertunity for the both of us." Elro mustered a small smile to the blank face of the android. "Would you prefer to sit, or stand?”

Reply #3
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TWilkins 
[Show/Hide]
"Oh, I see," said V-Nine when the semblance of control in sickbay had led to an evaluation as to whether or not she could continue treating patients there or not. True, it was secondary to her purpose of restoring those that had been victims of the Correction Program, but helping the organics aboard the Theurgy had been very rewarding in her programs growth - especially when she now felt limitless in her potential. She was glad that her performance had not been the cause or this pending evaluation, since she did believe that she had preformed more than adequately. The Betazoid mentioned the adherence towards Starfleet medical protocol and ethics, and while it surprised her at for less than a milisecond, she realised that Thea had not informed him about her upgrade and access. She made no comment, her feet clicking while she followed him to his office, and let him finish voicing his concerns.

Tactfully, perhaps unconsciously treating her as a woman, the Chief Medical Officer let V-Nine enter the spacious office with its DNA re-sequencing technology - however old and crude in design - and all the other features present there. She'd already been informed by Thea about the technology, and it had been a prerequisite for her to help the Corrected whilst aboard the Theurgy.

"I prefer to stand, thank you," she said with a friendly tone, folding her metallic hands behind her back. She moved to position herself next to the primary surgical suite and its DNA technology, and began to answer his concerns. "You needn't be concerned about any lack of knowledge pertaining to Starfleet medical protocol and ethics, because this information has been uploaded to me by Thea - your Ship A.I. - and you will likely find that I have conducted myself accordingly since I came aboard. I may know in theory how your medical instruments work, but since this platform has been fully equipped to deal with the injuries I've encountered, I have not had the opportunity to learn how to operate with your hand-held instruments yet."

She unfolded one of her hands from behind her back and demonstrated her features by opening all digits at once - a section of her palm folding outwards as well to extend a few instruments more. Different lights and sounds came from them all, and she supposed they were all alien to the CMO. "I am, however, proficient in using the features I was equipped with when I was built. My instruments are in no way or form cause for concern compared to your own, if taking Starfleet Medical practice parameters into account, merely... different in origin."

Confident that the demonstration was adequate for the time being, no doubt requiring a full report on her features at some point, she let her hand fold together and resume it's standard operation mode, before folding it behind her back again. "I am aware that my makers committed atrocities upon some of your crew, but as the reports from the abducted will reveal, I was given to Captain Ives and your sickbay as a means to set things right. I think it might be better if you heard it from the Captain... him... her... hir? Hirself!"

She chuckled at her lapse in pronoun use and shook her cranial unit. "In any case, my primary function - the short term one, I'd like to believe - is to restore the abducted to their original physiology or in accordance with what they wish for. Some might just want cosmetic changes, while others might want their DNA restored to what their genomes were like before their abduction. I assume how you might ask how this is possible here on the Theurgy instead of the Versant?" she asked, and then turned her lens towards the surgical suite next to her. "That's the answer. Thea's database suggested that the Theurgy had the technology required, and it was confirmed upon my arrival. I will be able to set things right for the Theurgy crew - the mistakes of my makers set right."

V-Nine turned her lens back to Doctor Kobol , finishing her preliminary answer to his concerns. "Long term, however, after the Corrected crew has been restored as Captain Ives demanded, my extended purpose is - was - to provide medical aid when needed. It's my design, and my program's primary function. Bereft of purpose... and unable to help this crew... I am unsure what merit my continued existence would be?"

Odd, how this existential question felt more profound than ever. Was this also a part of her upgrade?

"I... would very much like to prove my abilities, if you'd let me, showing you first-hand how I can fully apply Starfleet protocol and ethics to my runtime - just like I have been doing since I came aboard. As for how, I... might even have a suggestion or two, since I browsed the journals of the officers in your cryogenic stasis units."

She fell silent then, hoping that the Betazoid would at least give her a chance to show him what she could do.

Reply #4
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan @Numen

Given that the machine before him had elected to stand as opposed to sit, Elro politely followed suit, his height allowing him to gently perch on the edge of his desk without appearing to be slouched; his feet were still a fraction sore from the previous day’s frivolities and even a slight perch against the corner of his desk was far more comfortable upon his feet. Perhaps it had the slightest lack of professionality, but it was far more polite than electing to sit when his ‘guest’ had elected to stand.

According to the android before him, one which seemed to present itself with female traits, she had already been ‘uploaded’ with the up to date Starfleet medical protocol by the Theurgy’s artificial intelligence known as Thea. More so than that, the android made a point of noting that she had conducted herself accordingly since coming aboard the ship, and that despite having her own, in-built, medical devices, she was fully capable of taking the parameters of Starfleet Medical into account. She was right on that account at least, at least, as far as Elro had been made aware...

The machine went on to inform the Betazoid of her goal of restoring members of the crew whom had had their biology interfered with aboard the Versant, if they so wished, and being sure to cite that it was Captain Ives themself who had confirmed as to the android’s presence aboard the Theurgy. The Betazoid sighed the slightest fraction under his breath at the news; evidently there was a lot more going on aboard his ship than he would be able to make himself aware of in any short space of time.

Elro was far too new to the ship to question the Captain, but the Betazoid was sure that taking on an android of alien origin and allowing it to serve in a medical capacity aboard the ship without authorisation for the CMO had to be a breach of Starfleet protocol… Or, perhaps the Captain had spoken with Doctor Rez during her time as CMO and before Elro’s promotion... Or, maybe the Captain had made a judgement call that the Medical team needed immediate bolstering, as he was within his rights to do… Or, it was entirely possible that the Captain wasn’t the biggest fan of sticking to the letter of a protocol…

But, Elro supposed, how many Captains did stick to protocol…

The Doctor was hardly one well versed in ‘rolling-with-the-punches’ as one of the junior doctors aboard the Endeavour had mentioned one time before, and it wasn’t a trait he was overly keen on adopting… But still, for now, he’d accept the judgement of the Captain and allow the Android to explore her ‘suggestion’ regarding the officers in stasis.

It was a proverbial two-bird, one-stone, situation. He had promised Commander Hathev that he’d work to bolster her counseling team, and with the android’s suggestion, he hoped he could consolidate that.

“Whilst it is of course, stellar news that you have already been made aware of both our medical ethics, and the Starfleet guidelines of correct treatment of patients, it is always necessary to bare in mind the difference between understanding them and applying them.” Elro meant the comment to be kind, perhaps reassuring, but he expected that it had come out as condescending. “Any Starfleet Doctor has had circumstances where the best interest of the patient involves violating those guidelines, and the difficulty any medical officer faces, is knowing to stop at our ‘line in the sand’ as it were.”

Elro hoped the android was understanding of his hyperbole.

“Just…” Elro paused, trying to battle his way through phrasing something to avoid causing offence, whilst making sure he didn’t waffle his way around his own point. “As tedious as these constraints may seem, they are all present for a reason… If you ever have any struggles with them, please, come to me before you do anything that could violate them. There are several workarounds that can be explored in some instances, and it’s far better to try that than risk a discharge...”

“But, in regards to your request, I am happy to fall back upon Captain Ives’ judgement on this occasion, and we do have a Vulcan in stasis who I would like to look at getting revived sooner rather than later.” Trust was an odd concept for a Betazoid… He didn’t need to trust anyone, when he could feel their honesty and dishonesty like others would feel a draft. However, in this case, trust was evidently required, and given the logical evidence of her good behaviour thus far, and an apparent recommendation from the Captain, he was content to give her a chance.

“An Ensign Seren. The Chief Councilor has expressed some concern at having her department being so undermanned. If you have any time this morning, I would be happy to accompany you...?”

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]
It was odd, this input of anticipation that V-Nine felt, and right then it felt like the inefficient form of auditory communication took forever to run it's course. She was hoping that the Betazoid male that was in charge of the poor medical facilities would grant her a chance to prove herself, and when he finally revealed that she'd get that chance, her response was immediate.

"Oh, thank you, thank you," she said, surprising even herself at how she'd repeated the gratitude. What was the merit in that? Why had she clasped her hands before her chest? It was something she'd seen one of the organics had done, but why was the impulse so readily at hand? "I will not let you down, Doctor Kobol ."

She folded one arm before her chest, and propped up her other arm so that she could tap the 'chin' of her cranial unit in a musing way. "Ensign Seren. Yes, I have his journal in my memory bank. A Vulcan with severe piercing trauma to his torso. A number of internal organs beyond repair, and the damage to his thorax will be an immediate concern after the stasis sequence is ended. In order to support the integrity of his body and keeping it from collapse will require a combination of endo- and exoskeleton parts, but with the right amount of flexibility to allow for normal bodily functions. I am able to generate synthflesh of his colouration for the most part, but some of the metal latticework around that side of his torso will have to be external. I cannot cover all of it since the neck area will retain the best functionality with an exoskeleton solution. I also need to evaluate what kind of artificial organs this ship has in stock... but the metal support his torso needs to be customised by medical scans and replication."

V-Nine realised she had taken a couple of steps towards the exit before she caught herself, her cranial unit swivelling back towards Doctor Kobol  and then back to the door a couple of times. "I... I am ready and able to preform the pre-surgery tasks now, Doctor. Are you available now or will you join me for the surgery itself?"

She let out a giggling laugh, not even sure wherein the humour laid, but there was decidedly something jocular about the situation even if she wasn't fully able to label the origin.

Reply #6
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan

Elro couldn’t help but wonder how their conversation might have differed, had he been able to read the ‘mind’ of the android before him. Not knowing what emotions she was harboring, nor what thoughts were occupying her attention, unnerved him greatly. Whilst he often avoided mentally prying into people's heads out of courtesy, he still got a somewhat ambient read on what they were going throguh. Not having that, or even the ability to do so, made him feel a little blind, for want of a better word.

Yet despite his discomfort, he couldn’t help but be a little bemused when he listened to the android enforce her gratitude so very forcefully, thanking him multiple times and assuring him that she would not let him down. It reminded him of a newly qualified junior medical officer given their first actual assignment. The Doctor supposed, in a way, that his situation with the android was exactly that. Yet despite the the familiar sentiment, he couldn't quite take her gratitude at face value; his inability to sense it made him question her sincerity… He hoped that he would have done the same with anyone, and that it wasn't just a robot that was causing his suspicions. Then again, the only other species he'd interacted with whom couldn't be read by telepathy were the Ferangi, whom he was warned to always be suspicious of at Starfleet Academy...

Perhaps, there was a need to be suspicious of those whom he couldn't sense...

Regardless, the android had done her research, Elro could not dispute that. She knew a great deal of information regarding Ensign Saren, and although as to why someone had given an unrecognised alien artificial intelligence free reign of their medical database baffled the Doctor, it at least meant that he didn’t need to wait on her to review his file before they could begin.

Despite his appreciation for her diligence and medical ingenuity however, Elro didn’t miss the apparent dig the android decided to have at the state of the artificial organs employed by Starfleet, but he attempted to not read too much into it. The rest of her surgical plan was certainly efficient, and Elro was admittedly impressed, though didn’t make that especially obvious to her. Luckily, the Ensign was a vulcan, and Elro imagined that the external metalwork would not bother him so much as it may have done on an image-centered Risan, for example. It was an efficient solution, logical. He'd surely be fine with it.

In theory.

“I can certainly free some time to aid you with the pre-surgical tasks.” Elro confirmed the android’s request, well aware that his speciality did not involve vascular surgery, and that he would be reliant on the android to lead the way. “I will ask Nurse Jones to prep the Ensign’s stasis unit and have her join us in the surgical bay.” Elro was aware that the smartest course of action would be to have asked Maya to have carried out the Surgery in his place, but in this instance, he wanted to make the decision regarding the android without having to rely on the perspective of others.

“In the meantime, I don’t belive you’ve mentioned any preference to how you would like to be addressed?” Elro politely asked, as a formality as much as anything else. Whilst Elro didn’t fully trust or accept the android as of yet, the last thing he wanted to do was to appear rude or negligent in his duties in favour of personal bias. The Android was certainly making efforts to be more organic in her tendecies, displaying overtly catracatured gestures which Elro couldn't help but find amusing; the way she tapped her hand on her chin like a pondering Professor…

She seemed to be trying very hard to fit in, and Elro was going to endeavour to not make that any harder for her than his position demanded, should she prove to be of an adequate skill level befiting that of a Starfleet Medical Officer. Starfleet protocol towards artificial intelligence was rather twisted, but politeness was usually a good guideline for Elro in any situation.

Unless he was dealing with a Tellarite.

Reply #7
[Show/Hide]
At the question of how she preferred to be addressed, V-Nine realised that she hadn't given the Betazoid a complete introduction - she merely assuming he knew her since she'd known her shortened name.

"Oh, I am sorry, I prefer V-Nine, thank you, which is short for Vigenary model, iteration nine. I hold no rank as a surgical android of Savi fabrication, and there were no Doctors, just Decatarias and other officiates in the different science fields. You don't even have to call me 'Doctor', as far as I am concerned," she said, and then did a double take with her cranial unit, realising that she might have misunderstood the intent behind the question. "Or... did you mean which pronoun to use? Oh, dear, that's so sweet of you, to be so mindful about respecting my preferences! Not only once has someone here just called me 'it' like some mechanical appliance, or a Scion - who also was addressed with 'it' Savi society. Linguistic anomaly, I think..."

She shrugged and spread her hands in the classic 'I have no idea' gesture that she'd observed, doing so as she walked with the Chief Medical Officer, leaving the office behind. "Anyway, my voice syntax and chassis is female, obviously." Wait, that might not be true. Her database mentioned several discrepancies, the Ovri one of them. She paused in her step and ran he hands over her own bottom as well as her chest, looking down with her lens. "Or is it obvious? I like tho think it's obvious, but I might be incorrect. I just assumed that with the outlining of my posterior and my top-heavy platform, I might be considered to have female attributes. The pitch of my voice ought to be of a lighter spectrum as well, suggesting an absence of deeper base tones that males of many species might have."

V-Nine realised she'd paused her step, gave a start, and resumed walking again - confused herself about her ditzy mannerism. Was it a coalescence of observations from all the organic crew she'd been exposed to her? Were those manners bolstered by the upgrade of her A.I. processes? Surely the Synthesis Code was an upgrade rather than a conflicting set of routines that weren't cooperating in rendering results? Or was this chaos a part of the organic imprint that this Code was supposed to have?

That's when she realised that they'd reached the room with the stasis units, and behind those doors Nurse Jones could be found working. V-Nine let Doctor Kobol  speak with the woman, while V-Nine walked up to Seren's unit and looked into the glass - her lens shifting and zooming as she shifted between several different settings, finishing off with a scan.

Soon enough she turned towards Doctor Kobol  and giggled, raising a metal hand to tap her cranial unit. "Medical tricorder. I now have all the data I need to replicate the support structure for his torso. Next stop, artificial organ storage?"

Re: Day 01 [0955 hrs.] Acting on a Thawt

Reply #8
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Auctor Lucan   @Numen   

Elro followed the android out of the office with his arms crossed across his torso, listening diligently to her preferences as to how she prefered and wished to be addressed. It was only the most essential courtesy to be respectful and considerate to the members of his staff, even temporary ones, and Elro didn't intend to give anyone reason to question his own professionalism on his first shift as Chief. But despite having mentally referred to her as it not so long ago, he couldn't help but feel sorry for the android whom had evidently become at least somewhat upset as a result of being referred to more closely as an appliance than as a sentient being.  

But he now had a name to address her as, V-Nine, which would certainly ease his personal transition from himself considering her more of an appliance as opposed to a sentient being within his head, to thinking of her as he would anyone else in his staff. Even if she didn't make the cut, she'd no doubt remain in sickbay in some capacity, most likely in some form of consultancy role... It was somewhat interesting to Elro that having spent even such a short time with her had given him a clue as to a personality that she possessed within her programming. She certainly came across as quirky to say the least, with an apparent penchant for questioning and second guessing herself...   

He still didn't feel entirely comfortable with her, given that she presented as a psionic void in what usually would be something that he could feel, sense, empathise with and use all of that information during any social interactions... Yet, her almost scatty personality was serving to comfort somewhat. Despite obviously being a construct, her behaviours and mannerisms were far from mechanical. In fact, she seemed to exhibit more and more organic traits the longer they remained in each other's company. Stopping mid walk to run her hands over her mechanical chestpiece, for one. .. Though the Betazoid had to admit, he'd not seen many women do such during the.

They approached the stasis banks together, Elro stepping aside to let V-Nine proceed first into the cool room where Nurse jones was already present and preparing the Ensign's stasis unit for revival. The nurse glanced up as they entered, and beamed a toothy, wide smile as the Doctor approached, which was perhaps out of sync with the task she was undertaking , but pleasant to behold nonetheless. Her emotional wash was also something of a welcome relief to the psychic pariah whom he'd spent the last few moments with...  

It was like being alone... But not… He enjoyed the company of Vulcans, whose emotions were certainly repressed, but there was an ambience that was unmistakably Vulcan about them. Having absolutely nothing was a different kettle of fish entirely…    

"How is the Ensign looking?" Elro quietly asked the nurse, moving over to look at the readings on the console she was working on. Seren's vitals were gradually raising up from his stasis-kept state, with anesthesia being steadily introduced into his system to keep him unconscious as the life support system in his stasis unit began working overtime to keep him alive as his body began to thaw.   

"As good as can be expected, given that he had a rod of metal impale him..." The Nurse returned, with a tone lingering somewhere between being grimmly concerned and having the smallest touch of amusement. Whilst it was hardly the pinnacle of professionalism, he understood the dark comedy. A lot of medical personnel, even himself at times, had to take the tiniest hint of humour out of what they did for a living.   

"The main surgical bay should be ready for use, I'll head there and begin setting up for the procedure now. Can you bring the Ensign through when he is thawed?" Elro requested cordially, to which the Nurse nodded with confirmation and returned to monitoring the readings diligently. From what he could tell, she was a very good nurse... 

As he turned away, approaching the stasis unit to take a scan using his tricorder, V-Nine turned to him and tapped against her 'head' before informing him that she'd taken the necessary scans and wanted to proceed to 'artificial organ storage'...    Elro was used to the Endeavour, where artificial organs were usually replicated to the required specifications on a case by case basis, but he had no point of reference as to whether the Theurgy had a different practice... He supposed that he could ask Nurse Jones, but in an effort to save face, he decided on an approach that would make him look a little less unaware of the ship's functions. 

"Of course. You can either use one of the replicators, or Thea should be able to offer you some advice as to whether there is anything compatible with the Ensign's physiology in storage..." Elro quietly confirmed to her, taking his own brief scan of his bio-readings and transferring them across to his PADD. "In the meantime, I'm going to head to the surgical bay and get cleaned and dressed for surgery. I'll meet you there shortly?" He confirmed to V-Nine, somehow expectant that she would most likely have some alternate means of cleansing herself prior to performing surgery.

Reply #9
[Show/Hide]
Orders given, V-Nine inclined her cranial unit. "Yes, Doctor. I will be along shortly."

As she left, V-Nine felt... optimism - she thought - about the procedure and her chances to impress the Chief Medical Officer. She caught herself clenching her hands into fists and shake with glee at the prospect of the surgery and how it might earn her a permanent place there among the organics. It didn't even matter that the medical facilities were crude compared to those on the Versant. She had a purpose beyond undoing the Corrections, and she obviously had something to contribute since her more advanced stasis chamber technology had preserved an Andorian life, and Thea.... she had done something that caused it all to mean so much more.

[ HOURS LATER ]

Through the whole process, the concerns that V-Nine had was that of her medical programming not completely adding up with the availability of solutions in the surgical suite. She had, however, at every point where she'd expected too much out of some feature of the present technology, bridged the discrepancy by alternative means, either using the technological features of her own platform, or though deducing alternatives with the great assistance of Doctor Kobol , who was clearly her better when it came to knowing the limitations of Starfleet Medical instruments.

"There, Doctor," she said, using her left hand's thumb to regenerate the last dermal layers surrounding the low-profile medical grafts across the Vulcan's chest and neck. "I believe we're finished. Now, my recommendation would be that he's moved to the Recovery Ward, and that either or both of us are to be alerted as soon as the patient wakes up. Of course, we are also able to wake him with a stimulant now, if that's your preference. Given the slight risk of the newly mended tissues tearing because of hasty motions, I still maintain that the Recovery Ward is better."

In the end, she couldn't help but ask the obvious question. "So... how did I do, Doctor? Was I good enough to get to stay?"

She tilted her head as she looked at the Betazoid, hoping approval.

OOC: My suggestion is that you do another time-skip to the point where Seren wakes up, so that @Numen can finally join in the writing as well. :)@

Reply #10
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen

The surgery had certainly been an eye-opener for the Betazoid, perhaps even a proverbial smack in the face… Apparently he had severely underestimated the superior medical technology that V-Nine was accustomed to, and she had severely overestimated the technology available to Starfleet medical… But they’d powered through, the Doctor having had to provide a few gentle steps down from her inconceivable treatment attempts, to a standard that was easier to adhere to with Starfleet tech.

But, she had done well. Had he been aware of how unfamiliar with she was with the Starfleet equipment, he mightn’t have even let her step foot into the surgical bay, but she compromised each time, both through his own guidance, and through the use of the medical technology included within her chassis. As he watched her use one of her thumb digits to close the wound of the patient, he couldn’t deny that she would be nothing short of a blessing to the Theurgy team, possibly one day even augmenting their own technology with her knowledge of the Savi’s capabilities.

And when she inquired as to how well she had performed, Elro did not conceal his thoughts.

“You were very efficient. Whilst your unfamiliarity with the, constraints, shall we say, of our technology was evident, you adapted when necessary and took my advice when I offered it. For now, I am confident that with the support of this team, you will be more than capable to serve as a full-time member of the medical team.” Elro concluded with a very small smile.

“Of course, I will have to run this past both Commander’s Ducote and Stark, and your access to certain systems will be limited in accordance with rank, but I am confident that you will be a boon to this crew.” Elro confirmed, signaling to Nurse Jones that the android’s suggestion of moving the Ensign to the recovery ward was the option he preferred; the android was correct in her assumption that waking the Ensign there and then was not the soundest of clinical decisions.

“In the meantime, please, continue with any duties you had ongoing, but do remember to allow yourself plenty of time to take breaks in your shift…” Elro suggested, unsure entirely as to what the policy would be in regards to AI and taking breaks. “I’ll be in touch a little later on, I may even ask you to sit in with a medical staff meeting.” The Doctor added with a soft nod, before he remembered that being a senior officer did mean that the conclusion of the conversation was his to conduct.

“Until then, dismissed.”

[ 1617 Hours ]

Elro was hunkered over his desk working on the agenda for his staff meeting that was due to take place within the next forty-five minutes, when he received a chirping communique from Nurse Jones through the Comm.

[Jones to Kobol .]

“Go ahead.” The Doctor politely replied, taking the call as a good opportunity to straighten up and rectify his posture.

[Looks like our fresh-out-of-surgery Vulcan is starting to come-to. Just letting you know.] She politely replied, and Elro could see the toothy smile in his mind’s eye. She was certainly an upbeat presence in the sickbay.

“Thank you, I’ll be with him presently.”

Reply #11
[Ensign Seren |    Recovery Ward | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy
[Show/Hide]

att: @Auctor Lucan @TWilkins

At the beginning, there was nothing. No light, no pain. Seren existed, that's all. Just a disembodied conscience, floating in the void between oblivion and wakefulness. There was a sort of peacefulness in that. A detached stillness much in tune with the Vulcan's sensitivity. He could remain indifinently in that state, motionless and immutable.

Then the pain came.

Or maybe the memory of how much he hurted. In those moments the young Vulcan was not able to discern one from the other. His pain receptors were screaming unrestrained, out of his mastery. Experiencing how the control of his own body slipped away between his invisible fingers was unsettling. For the first time in a long time, Seren felt deeply disturbed.

It was then that he perceived it.

Or rather he noticed the absence. The emptiness. The void. An area that covered nearly half his torso and abdomen was just an unresponsive gap, a hollowness that his mind was unable to reach. A dead zone he could not touch. It was a disturbing sensation. Seren had learned to dominate even his tiniest bodily processes in his earliest childhood. Even when he had not been in control, he had always been aware of his whole body. As other species were conscious of the existence of their legs or arms, Vulcans could feel their heart or liver. Now half of their organs were simply... gone, not there, they could not be felt. There was only one explanation.

Seren was dying.

The Vulcan gasped, looking for some air his lungs could not catch. One of them did, and Seren forced it to work twice as fast, trying to fulfill the function of the lung that was not there. His blood quickened in his veins. A circumstance totally incoherent since the ensign didn't feel the heart that was supposed to move the vital fluid.

Then he remembered what had happened.

The battle, the explosion, the pillar piercing through his body. The unrepairable injury to his internal organs. The self-induced trance, in order to preserve his existence a bit longer. Just enough to reach the sickbay. Horrible pain that was beyond all he had previously experienced, threatening to make him lose control. Then nothing.

He had no time.

The Vulcan's eyes suddenly opened. The light wounded them like sharp spears. As if for eons he had not used his own eyes. Seren hyperventilated, unable to resume the control of a broken body that was crumbling at the moment. He had never felt so unsettled. He wasn't even aware that he had the capacity to feel like that. But it didn't matter, close to his end as he was. His eyes spun around, searching. Something. Someone. A container for his katra. Someone capable to hold his essence when his body parted.

Then he saw him. A young man, teal collar and a white robe over his shoulders. Betazoid's full black eyes. Unsuitable, probably with a too strong mind. But Seren had few options. Panic driven, he grasped his arm, and tried to force a telepathic connection.

Reply #12
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol  | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen

Elro couldn’t help but let out a small yelp of distress as the Ensign lashed out and grasped his arm like a crazed child, gripping onto the Doctor so tightly that Elro feared for bruises upon his delicate skin. At first, he presumed it just to be panic on the Ensign’s part, a means to attempt to find where he was, to stabilize his presence. A fairly emotional response for a Vulcan, Elro decided; it appeared as an action driven primarily by fear and mortality. 

Yet as Elro made a move to gently dislodge the tan limb from his coat sleeve, he felt a surge cascade through his mind, a storm front of telepathic energy that crashed into him like the crest of a wave. A mind meld? No. A forced connection, made from desperation. A dangerous undertaking for both parties.

The Betazoid immediately made to sever it, but not before he felt a blast of emotion that shattered through his psyche. Agony, fear, desperation, panic… An emotional onslaught that very few Vulcans would have been ready to withstand, least of all after coming to directly after a surgery. Most should have woken up in a becalmed state, unaware of their surroundings and perhaps a trifle confused, not frenzied to oblivion and ready to snap.

“Ensign Seren.” Elro called out as firmly as he could muster, with the Ensign inadvertently transmitting a conduit of telepathic agony through into the Betazoid’s psyche. The Betazoid considered forcing himself loose of the grip of the Vulcan, but his expectation was that the risk of psionic feedback could cause brain damage for the both of them…

For such an enlightened species, Vulcan telepathy was positively barbaric when compared to the precision and elegance of a Betazoid’s.

“Ensign Seren.” Elro instead resorted to his own telepathy, transmitting back his thoughts to the Ensign as calmly as he could, trying best to suppress his own distress and perhaps slight irritation, in concern for riling up his patient even further. “My name is Doctor Elro Kobol , the Chief Medical Officer aboard the USS Theurgy. It is Stardate 57558.73. Your life is no longer in any jeopardy.”

Perhaps that was a lie. They were perhaps the most hated ship in Federation space.

“Your body was preserved in cryo suspension following your accident, and remained so until the medical team have found an opportune time to operate upon you. We have now had the means and opportunity to carry out reconstructive surgery and you are now in the recovery ward aboard the USS Theurgy, no longer at risk.”
Elro transmitted his thoughts calmly, trying to quiet the proverbial storm brewing in the Ensign’s head.

“The sudden nature of your accident, followed by the abrupt awakening, may have triggered an emotional response, which has caused you to initiate an inappropriate telepathic connection with a stranger.” Elro tried his best not to convey the seriousness of his action for the health of both men. “It is imperative that you attempt to calm your mind, and withdraw your connection. You are in no danger, I assure you…”

Whatever the Vulcan was attempting to do was out of fear and desperation. Elro hoped that his message had conveyed enough reassurance to the Ensign, to assure him that he needed not feel those emotions. He also prayed that it was enough of a proverbial splash of cold water to awaken him enough to reassert control of his own emotions…

Either that, or he’d just telepathically ridiculed an emotional Vulcan.

Though either way, Elro was fairly confident it would have the same result.

Reply #13
[Show/Hide]
attn: @TWilkins @Auctor Lucan

"Ensign Seren."

The young Vulcan was unable to identify whether the two words came from outside his brain. Or from the inside. Maybe from both. But it didn't matter. He had a job to do. A greater motivation. His mind slipped through the nooks and crannies of someone else's mind. Searching. Probing. It was painful. And he knew that his receptacle shared part of the agony he felt. In addition to that of a mind that was being profaned. Part of Seren was ashamed of it. But desperate times forced desperate measures.

"Ensign Seren."

The voice echoed around him again, but the Vulcan continued with his invasion. In search of the place where he could lay his load. In his assault, he picked up images around him. Memories. Sensations. Uncontextualized recollections. A stern man with black eyes, red collar, dictating orders. Curled spots over pale skin, sweat covered. Borg? Borg. A beach, at sunset. A battle. No. Several battles? Maybe. The instructions for an aortic ligature in an Andorian. Tiny feet washed by the waves. A hole in space, the song of torpedoes in the tail of a starship. Green blood on gloved hands, a complicated surgery performed against the clock, together with a mechanical and white thing. Or being. The amazed laughter of a child who discovers something for the first time. The flame of a Vulcan meditation candle, flickering and dancing ...

"My name is Doctor Elro Kobol , the Chief Medical Officer..."

Seren halted his harmful advance through the other' s mind. One second. His life was no longer in danger. Was that true? So, what was that hole, that void inside him? The Vulcan divided his mind, and left a part there, inside Kobol . Another went back to his own body, probing, testing, looking for those pieces of him that had disappeared. Much of his mind twisted around the core of his katra. Layer on layer. Concealing himself from the perception of the other' s mind. Repressing the wild impulse of self-preservation that had triggered the current situation. The anguish. The panic. And yet, still a part of Seren kept advancing, seeking the truth in Dr. Kobol 's mind.  And Seren found truth, as well as the reflection of the pain he was causing.

"The sudden nature of your accident..."

Seren's mind shuddered, layers of self-control unleashed again at the remembrance of what happened. The memories filtered through the holes of his composure within Elro and unwittingly shared the discomfort of a broken body, doomed to death. The absence of control for the first time in a lifetime. Seren fought against it. His mind withdrew into itself, without losing contact with the betazoid. Using him as an anchor. Using him to help him create barriers and labyrinths around his own emotions, repressing them and suffocating them until nothing was left. An immovable wasteland, untouchable for Seren and for anyone who shared his mind. Seren's emotions flickered one last time before turning off and what remained was only acumen and reason.

"It is imperative that you attempt to calm your mind, and withdraw your connection. You are in no danger, I assure you..."

A logical statement. But it wouldn't be so quick to do so. There was too much of him in Kobol  at that time. Seren raised the other hand and leaned it on the physician's face. His fingers searched for key locations. The connection between the two men became stronger, more stable. Less dangerous. The Vulcan allowed himself to release the violent grip that had initiated the melt. When his fingers moved away from the betazoid's skin, they left bruising marks behind them. A visual testimony of the urgency and necessity that had motivated him. A memory in the skin of another of why he had to maintain a strict self-control.

For long minutes, Seren remained immobile, without taking his hand away from the Kobol 's face, with his eyes closed in deep concentration. He picked up as many pieces of his mind he could find, rebuilt them, and shielded his mind. Increasingly calmer, more serene. Yet he could not help but use Elro's mind as a mirror for a time, lost as he had been. However, he couldn't stay there for too long. Just regain control, as soon as possible. Even at the cost of having left part of himself behind, Seren severed the bond. His hand slipped over Elro's face and fell to the biobed. Only then did the Vulcan open his eyes.  When he did, his face was composed, his eyes emotionless. He had regained control. But at what cost?

"Fifty-nine days" was the first thing he said, his voice raspy from the lack of use. Seren blinked only once and turned his head, so that the tessellation of his neck crackled. An artificial sound that sounded dissonantly in the ensign's sensitive ears. He raised his left hand again and felt that unnatural surface that lost itself beneath the medical gown he was wearing. Outlining the emptiness he felt inside. His fingers trembled slightly before he lest his hand lay upon his abdomen, where an unfeelable heart should be. However, his fingertips noticed a heartbeat in the lower part of his ribs. A foreign and uncanny heartbeat.

"What have you been forced to do with me?" he asked.

He made no apologies. Apologies were illogical. He had done what he had done and a few words would not change it.

Reply #14
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen

Perhaps this young man was not the most collected, at least as far as Vulcan standards expected… It was a consideration that the Betazoid couldn’t help but dwell upon, working hard not to grimace at the clammy sensation of the fingers of the green-blood peeling away from his face. The Vulcan’s hand slowly left his skin, in its place forming a somewhat cleaving desire to wash… He hadn’t yet trialled the bath in his quarters...

Elro tended to find Vulcans decisively curious in their behaviours and mannerisms. Some loftily carried an almost ethereal level of grace with them, never to lose composure and never to demean themselves with any action that could be considered anything less than unimpeachably collected. Others seemed to have their air-tight emotional integrity shatter like the brittlest pane of glass at the introduction of even the most unassuming of stimuli, Vulcans who explored avenues of criticism and sarcasm when things attempted to breach their emotional walls. Those who still valued logic, but also possessed an undeniable arrogance that could hardly be denied as unemotional… Seren seemed to fall into the latter category.

Elro couldn’t help but let a small inwards sigh as he heard the Vulcan’s cutting words, sharp phrases coming out as insults and criticisms as readily as one would breath, but each harshly toned comment was probably swaddled in a blanket of fear and insecurity somewhere deep inside the Vulcan’s head… The Betazoid assumed that the harshness was a front that the boy wasn’t even aware of himself...

“In order to keep your body from collapsing upon itself from the trauma, a medical officer elected to use a combination of endoskeletal and exoskeletal parts to serve as a brace to keep your body well supported.” Elro felt that there was no need for any bedside comforts for the Vulcan before him, nor did he believe that telling him that the medical officer was an Android from a different race and that he was her ‘interview’ was a particularly prudent measure either…

“Most of the latticework has been concealed with synthetic flesh to reduce the cosmetic burden, aside from a small section on the side of your torso that couldn’t be concealed discreetly. Further cosmetic surgery may be an option for the future, should you wish to preserve your aesthetic.”  Elro’s expectation was that the Vulcan would refuse the sentiment without even considering it, he expected, to show that he wasn’t governed by ‘nonsense’ such as vanity.

“However, there was need to replace your heart with a synthetic organ. The damage to yours was far too extensive to salvage.” It was usually best when dealing with the more volatile of Vulcans by being open and direct, skirting the pleasantries Elro may have elected on had he been dealing with someone such as Commander Hathev. “However, the damage has been fully  repaired, and whilst you may need extended rest and regular check ins for several weeks, you’re looking at a very optimistic outcome.”

Elro direly hoped that his non-frivolous rundown of the treatment was concise enough not to raise the Vulcan’s ire too greatly. Usually he found the company of Vulcans to be calm and pleasant, and as patients their logical outlook usually served to make them ideal when it came to receiving treatments.

However, fresh out of surgery, following stasis preceded by a life threatening accident, whom had already attempted to perform some sort of botched mind meld upon him… That was a Vulcan whom Elro perhaps wasn’t so keen to spend his afternoon with…

Reply #15
[Show/Hide]

The physician began to explain the procedures to which he had been subjected in a clear and concise manner. Without the unnecessary affectation that emotional beings needed to deal with dull facts regarding their health. It was a welcome contrast to the pointless bedside manners that Starfleet physicians tended to brag about.

The first few sentences gave him an approximate idea of the extent of his wounds and the reason for the 'abrupt' severance he felt with half of his anatomy. It just wasn't there. While the doctor kept recounting the measures that had been taken to fix his wounds, Seren did a mental exercise and tried to feel that combination of synthetic skeletal and organ tissue that Dr. Kobol  was describing. It was an idle exercise. Seren was unable to reach them. Just tangentially, a ghost of the self-awereness he had possessed upon his original tissues. Expect to keep such a level of control over those substitutes as he had possessed before the explosion was absolutely illogical. He should re-learn to do so. Reconnect with them and subdue them to his will. It was an inopportune side-effect, but Seren made no external demonstration of annoyance. Kaiidth. What is, is. However, he couldn't help but notice that, from that moment on, his description as heartless man would be accurate at last. At least in the biological sense. However, at the thought of that and the loss of that vital organ, Seren's hands twitched a bit, and he couldn't repress that spasm. Only then did the Vulcan take his eyes from the doctor to look at them. That was... unexpected.

When Elro pointed to the latticework that was the visible sign of the surgery to which he had been subjected, Seren opened and closed his hands. Once ascertained that he had absolute control over his own motions, he raised his left hand up to his neck and traced with his fingers the synthetic material that now delineated the extent of the wound down to the collar of the medical gown. With a studied movement, he turned the neck to one side and to another. At a certain point, the tessellation produced a soft, unnatural, and disharmonious crackling that sounded odd in his sharp ears. "Cosmetic surgery will not be necessary. To conceal what I have experienced is misguided." He proclaimed, as he stared into the betazoid's full black eyes. The spots on his face where he had placed his fingers were reddened, and he would soon show dark bruises. "Establish the patterns of rest and visits to medical appointments that you deem necessary," he requested. His eyes wandered back to the bruises on the other man face. "My previous behavior has been inadmissible," he said after a long silence. "If you require action or inaction on my behalf to amend it, set the parameters for it." He apologized.

Reply #16

“No need to worry about any amedations in regards to your behaviours. It seems as though your unnecessary attempt to engage with me telepathically was simply due to the shock of coming out of stasis. Unless it becomes a repetitive issue, I see no need to take it further.” Elro clandestinely explained to the young Vulcan, in response to his abrupt commentary which the Doctor imagined was as close to an apology as he could hope to get.

“In the meantime, might I recommend some extensive meditation this evening to assure that you regain full control over your impulses before you resume socialisation with the crew.” Elro once again delivered his comment as a professional formallity; he had no doubts that the sullen Vulcan before him would not intend to socialise with anybody. “Now I have prepared a schedule of timings which you will need to adhere to in regards to getting back to your duties…” Elro straightened himself and moved to fetch the spare PADD in his coat pocket that he’d been preparing for the Vulcan post-surgery.

“You’ll see a recommended activity level based on your injuries and clear instructions on what to avoid in terms of what could put a strain on your injuries. I’ve also prepared an advisory passage on duty time, which it would be best to pass over to your superior officer when you next report to duty.” He held his hand out towards the Vulcan to offer the boy the PADD, before realising that over the several months that he’d been in stasis, much would have changed in their time aboard.

“Though I feel like it would be most prudent to inform you, that given the turbulent nature of this vessel’s mission, the crew and their positioning has changed a great deal since you were placed in Stasis.” Elro mentally felt sorry for the Vulcan, whom would most certainly be buffeted by what the Betazoid could only assume would be a whole new staff. From what he’d familiarised himself with the Medical Staff manifest, Commander Hathev was from the Bellerophon, Lieutenant Williams was from the Caguya, and the Cardassian Lieutenant was from the Resolve.

He wouldn’t be familiar with any of them.

“You will now be reporting to the new Chief Counselor, Commander Hathev, who has joined us from aboard the USS Bellerophon.” Elro mused that the man would at least be pleased that it would be a Vulcan as his superior officer. “I would recommend taking some time to review the ship's logs over the past few months; you'll find a great deal of change” Elro paused, considerate of the fact that the Vulcan male may have lost valued collegues during the time he'd been unconcious.

“I would also advise that there is due to be a service for the fallen in the arbourium tomorrow. Perhaps attending may allow you to process any loss that you may experence.” Elro slightly cast his gaze away from the Vulcan as he spoke. “I regret to tell you that if you have not lost anyone aboard this vessel, it would truly be a miracle.”

Reply #17

[Show/Hide]
attn: @TWilkins

The doctor didn't give too much importance to his attempt of katra transfer and attributed it to what it really had been: an extraordinary situation that would never happen again. The young Vulcan's fingers trembled slightly and Seren placed one hand on top of the other, so that he could conceal this treacherous shake.

"I will design a particularly intensive meditation schedule for these first two weeks," he agreed with a nod when the doctor made his advice. He would probably spend the subsequent hours after his discharge from sickbay in his quarters, immersed in deep meditation, and he would not leave those rooms until well late into the night, when the likelihood of an encounter with another crewman would be scarce.  However, the manner in which Dr. Kobol  suggested that he was far from fully governing his own impulses made one of his eyebrows rise slightly. If there was a Vulcan on board who would not be dragged along by his urges, that was Seren. Except for his secret deviation he has full control over himself, and even that failure was under some kind of control. No one knew about it. And no one would know. Or rather he would become that Vulcan once again after that first meditation session, once he reconnected with the organs that had been replaced in his body. Once he was whole again.

"Please provide the schedule and activity level recommended with the Head of my department, Liutenant Nelis" he requested, however, he was soon informed that the Theurgy mission had claimed its price in blood, in the form of crewmen. This had led to changes several changes in each department, so that the Chief Counselor was now Commander Hathev. "Commander Hathev" he repeated after the Doctor words, as he blinked slowly. Out of all the changes that Kobol 's words foretold, that was the one he least expected.

He felt how his new heart skips a beat in the depths of his torso, before beating again, agitatingly this time.

She was there. How? When...? She was supposed to remain in her position at the Academy, instructing, waiting for the return of....

Seren remained silent for twenty-three seconds longer than necessary, as he attempted to regularize his heartbeat and the rate at which his lungs inhaled. He succeeded in mastering the organic organs smoothly, but the synthetics ones remained unruly for a while.

The Vulcan's thin eyebrows dropped faintly over his dark eyes. He couldn't let that an unexpected circumstance afflicted him so deeply. Even though it took the form of such person.

" Your advice about revising the new composition of the crew is appropriate," he granted him as soon as he could fairly control the rhythm of his breathing. His artificial heart, however, kept shaking arrhythmically in his chest. "It will be a convenient manner to learn for whom the Arboretum service will be offered," he announced as his hands clasped over the sheets.

Reply #18
[ Lieutenant Elro Kobol | Main Sickbay | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen @Auctor Lucan

“Agreed.” Elro confirmed to the young man, aware of some degree of anxiety bubbling up within him that he couldn’t quite explain, something that made his heart drum within his chest just a little harder. “Of course, whilst you do not process grief in quite the same way as a more emotional individual may do…” Elro interjected before saying his previously thought statement, remembering a passage he’d learned when studying interspecies bedside manner regarding Vulcans and loss.

“... It may be a logical aid in the progress of smoothing your transition back to duty.” Elro finished, with a slight nod of his head to offer his reassurance. “In regards to meditation, I would recommend in your situation that using the Keethera technique may aid in the rejuvenation of any chaos that your mind may adopt in such harrowing circumstances.” In a way, Elro found the thought that he could shock a Vulcan with his knowledge of their techniques, somewhat amusing. “I find myself reliant on it at times to keep my telepathy tame in more turbulent times.”

Elro allowed a pause, quickly reviewing back to his PADD to ensure that he had gone through the information that he’d hoped to review with the Vulcan before discharging him. He still had two points remaining.

“In regards to your surgery, I believe that it would be sensible to have her review your surgery with you before you are discharged, to ensure that you are aware of any possible complications that may arise as you return to day-to-day life.” Elro paused, moving his hand up to tap upon his combadge. “V-Nine, if you could kindly report to the Recovery Ward, Ensign Seren had regained consciousness and I feel that it would be prudent to inform him of any circumstances of his surgery that may require any additional vigilance on his part.”

He tapped off at the android’s reply, before returning his attention to the patient before him.

“Once V-Nine has attended to and given you a chance to voice any questions regarding your treatment, please return to your quarters and take up some rest.” Elro paused, feeling a quick need to warn the Ensign of their specific circumstances. “You may wish to be aware of debris from a recent conflict with the Borg, and that the ship has currently separated into its three standalone Vectors whilst in dry dock.” Elro concluded with a small smile. “You may require the use of the transporters if your quaters are located on the third vector.”

“I have also added a prescription on your profile for a mild dose of Triptacederine, which is a widely used analgesic for injuries as critical as yours were. It has very few side effects, but when your current dose wears off, your pain may become difficult to manage.” Elro returned his PADD to his pocket without leaving his attention from the Vulcan, straightening his shoulders a fraction. “Please contact sickbay if you feel the need for an additional dose. You have suffered extensive damage and meditation alone may be insufficient to control the pain.”

Elro paused, keeping his dark eyes trained on the Vulcan, aware of their usual insistence that they do not require analgesics for pain management. The Betazoid didn’t quite see the logic in it.

“I'm afraid that I’ll need to proceed and check on some of our other patients from the recent battle, but please do not hesitate to get in touch with me if you require any further information. V-Nine will no doubt be with you shortly.” Elro confirmed politely, with the slightest bow of his head out of courtesy, before he withdrew from the biobed and moved across to a patient on the other side of the recovery ward.

To go from a somewhat agitated Vulcan to a very aggressive survivor from the Bellerophon… It appeared his afternoon would have been much more productive if it had been spent confined to a desk...

Reply #19
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Numen  
[Show/Hide]
"V-Nine, if you could kindly report to the Recovery Ward, Ensign Seren had regained consciousness and I feel that it would be prudent to inform him of any circumstances of his surgery that may require any additional vigilance on his part."

Turning around in the sonic shower adjacent to Surgical Suite 01, the light shimmer across V-Nine's white chassis. She raised the lens on her cranial unit and replied. "Yes, Doctor. I will be along shortly! I have just finished with another patient." She stepped out of the cylinder and nodded towards the remaining two medical officers in the suite, whom had heard Kobol  already and knew why she left them to close up the patient. "It was a pleasure working with you both!"

She got some mumbling through their mouth-masks in return when she almost skipped her way out of the surgical suite and made for the recovery ward. Her elation was about how she believed, at least, that she'd preformed well enough for Doctor Kobol  to allow her to practice in sickbay, which meant that her tasks aboard the ship would not be limited to the reversal of the Corrections that Captain Ives had approved. She would be able to continue to do what she knew best, and as far as her upgrade made her feel, she wanted nothing rather than do well and develop as an artificial being. It was a new concept and realisation, but in gradual certainty, she felt like she belonged aboard the Theurgy more than either of the ships in the Savi Flotilla. All her data pointed towards a limited existence among her creators, and worse yet, they were at an onset of a domestic war. The Antes against the Scions. Good riddance...

When she entered the Recovery Ward, she was in good spirits, and quite pleased to see that the Vulcan had come to. She noticed Doctor Kobol  as well on the other side of the ward, and she gave the Betazoid a friendly wave before turning her steps to Seren.

"Good afternoon, Ensign," she said pleasantly, having her hands folded before her abdomen while her cranial unit's auditory membranes delivered her introduction. "My name is V-Nine, and I preformed the surgery on you together with Doctor Kobol  after you were removed from your stasis unit."

She unclasped her hands next and held out a hand towards the Vulcan specimen, opening her thumb and index finger to scan him - the blue and green lights alternating as she reviewed his bodily condition. "You do not appear to be in any obvious discomfort despite the extensive augmentation that had to be done to your torso in order to support your skeletal structure. I am pleased to see that you will make a full recovery. Do you have any questions?"

Reply #20

[Show/Hide]

Seren remained silent as Dr. Kobol  gave his final instructions. Gradually, Seren was able to calm his mood. Yet, despite his efforts, his heartbeat was still somewhat herratic, obeying outside influences rather than his inner mastery. It was a disturbing fact for the Vulcan, but he associated it with the recent intervention and how unfamiliar the devices were for him. His inability to connect with them inwardly, which limited him to using indirect methods such as the pulse on his wrist, or the beat of the air in his ears to know their performance was a nuisance. When the betazoid advised the performance of the Keethera technique during his next meditation session, the Vulcan's eyebrows rose slightly and a renewed respect for the physician briefly flickered in his eyes. It was an advanced technique, rarely performed by non-Vulcans. The ensign nodded weakly, as a sign of respect for that suggestion.

Afterwards, Seren listened to a brief explanation of the latest events that the starship had suffered, as well as the medication that had been applied and would be administered once again if required. "If the meditation is insufficient to subdue that biological reaction, I will contact the sickbay," he granted at last. The Vulcan believed in his own proficiency in coping with pain, but given recent events and the growing respect for the doctor's knowledge of Vulcan psychology and physiology, he decided to grant him the possibility of requiring this new analsegic dosage.

Shortly after, the betazoid called the surgeon who had been in charge of the procedure that kept him alive and proceeded to bid him goodbye. "Farewell, Doctor Kobol " answered Seren. "May our stepsmade us meet again in more favourable circumstances," said the Vulcan, as Elro turned his back on him.

It wasn't long before the person who had saved his life showed up at in front of the counselor. Although perhaps a 'person' wasn't the most appropriate term. Medical appliance would be a more accurate terminology. Seren was well aware of the existence of Soong androids and, in fact, he had studied their psychological development as part of his curriculum during the Academy. However... this V-Nine didn't even have a clearly recognizable face and all its external features were unequivocally mechanical. It seemed that its creators had not made much of an effort to provide it with a structure that could be mistaken for other humanoids, so there was nothing left but to deduce that they had chosen to regard it as a little more than an implement. However, the doctor had referred to 'her' almost as a colleague, which spurred the counsellor's curiosity. Although the mannerisms of the robot did it even more so, they were almost a reflection of those of a cheerful human woman, eager to please. It was a fascinating demeanor to say the least.

"My physical condition is appropriate," Seren confirmed to the droid's statement. His voice when he delivered the message was monotonous and without inflections, more characteristic of the device that was in front of him than the chirping feminine sound that it emitted. "Establish the nature and composition of the devices which you had performace that extense augmentation" he asked.

Reply #21
[Show/Hide]
Vulcan specimens were commonly very succinct and to the point, so the direct question was no longer a surprise to V-Nine. She'd dealt with several such specimens before and answered readily.

"I do not know how much Doctor Kobol  told you, but you suffered severe piercing trauma to your torso. A number of internal organs were beyond repair, and the damage to your thorax was an immediate concern after the stasis sequence was ended. In order to support the integrity of your body and keeping it from collapse required a combination of endo- and exoskeleton parts, but with the right amount of flexibility to allow for normal bodily functions."

While she had spoken, she had walked up to the Ensign's biobed and indicated the areas with a metallic finger, pointing out where the affected areas had been. "I generated synthflesh of your colouration and covered most of the affected areas of both the front and back of your abdomen, but some of the metal latticework around this side of your torso had to be external, because the fissure was to extreme to effectively cover and still maintain an believable organic appearance. The neck area here now retain the best functionality with its current exoskeleton solution. The metal support frame for your torso was customised by medical scans and replication, lending satisfactory accuracy to the result."

Moving on, V-Nine's finger ceased to hover over his neck and shifted to the area where the hearts of Vulcan specimens were located internally. "Luckily, we had the required artifical organs in stock, all being of Federation issue. This includes your new heart, your left lung and other secondary internal organs being repaired with new tissues where needed. My scans suggest that you shouldn't feel much discomfort at all, and this is a result of the combined endo- and exoskeleton solution I advocated when you were brought out of stasis."

Lowering her hand she put it on the edge of the biobed and leaned against it casually, cocking a hip while she spoke and gestured in a idle manner as she continued. "As for composition, I might have preferred to use Savi standard metals and fibres, but I understand that such practise would have been frowned upon since the alloys would have been untested in the Federation database, so I conceded with using the ordinary artificial fabrications that your replicators here in sickbay gave me. For you, I think the difference would have been nominal, so it's just a personal preference of mine - nothing to be concerned about. It's just a matter of experience, and I have now accustomed myself to the alloys in this ship's medical protocols. You're looking great by the way! It was awesome rebuilding the damaged areas. Highly educational. Like... you have no idea how cool it was."

V-Nine realised that some of the Ensign-level lingo of humans had snuck into her vernacular, and also realised that it might not have been appropriate when speaking to Vulcans, but it was too late to take it back. Social convention suggested she'd continue instead. "So you are a counselor, right? I might actually have need of your services at some point, because with this upgrade that Thea made on my A.I., all sorts of fun stuff is happening in my runtime. I have little control of where my developing code takes me, but I'm really excited about these lack of boundaries in my mannerism!"

She ended with a self-conscious little giggle, and cleared her throat... even if she had no oesophagus.

Reply #22
[Show/Hide]
attn: @Auctor Lucan

Seren interlaced his fingers on his lap as he listened as the synthetic being answered his questions. Overall, the description of the intervention, the extent of the damage the young Vulcan had suffered and the measures taken to repair them were very similar to the information the betazoid had provided. However, the robot's narration was more extensive and specific, something that Seren approved internally. What he did not receive so positively were the evident signs of enthusiasm and emotion that the synthetic being exhibited. Clearly his programming included interpersonal interaction protocols oriented to highly emotional creatures. Humanoids who would appreciate engaging with a chirpy and accommodating creature. However, the Vulcan would have preferred a more direct and straightforward interaction. Even so, there was the possibility that that individual, V-Nine according to how Dr. Kobol  had designated her, possessed a positronic brain akin to Soong droids. Or as the same AI that controlled the basic functions of the ship, Thea. However, both the chassis and her overall shape suggested that her creators had designed a vaguely humanoid automaton with basic cognitive abilities besides those suitable for the performance of the function for which she had been designed. Seren could be incorrect in his guessing and perhaps those mysterious "Savi" that the Doctor had referred to had a body shape similar to the form of the droid that gesticulated in front of him. Seren had strong reservations about this and relied more on his intuition that the vague and unsophisticated design was due to the fact that interaction with patients and their need for social performance were insignificant features in her initial design. Therefore, that excessive display of personality and cordiality was twofold interesting. Is it a new coding or a genuine personality? Regardless of its origin, Seren was curious to discover its source. The psycho-cognitive development of artificial beings had always been an aspect of psychology with few study specimens and highly interesting in his opinion, after all.

While one part of the Vulcan's mind was engaged in such reflections, another was quite attentive to the explanations offered by the object of his study. As she approached him, and her finger began to point to the parts of his anatomy which she had healed, his dark eyes swayed between the study of his own anatomy and the reactions of the synthetic creature. When she stated that the organs that she had replaced were of Federation issue, Seren nodded earnestly. It was more appropriate that, although a non-Federal creature whose techniques and nature were foreign to him had performed the surgery that had saved his life, his implants were devices that had been tested in Federation facilities and were therefore absolutely compatible with his biology. The ramifications of a strange device of unknown origin beating in the lower part of his rib cage instead of the heart with which he had been born were highly worrisome. And the same applied to his left lung and other 'other secondary internal organs' as he discovered shortly thereafter. For a few split-second, his eyebrows furrowed over his dark eyes in deep concern. That slip in the tight control he exercised over himself disappeared as soon as it appeared and Seren remained as undaunted and stoic as he should be.

On the other hand, V-Nine had leaned slightly against the biobed, cocking her hip piece in a way that some species might consider flirty. However, her words were far from flirtacious, rather they were a mixture of complaint about having to adapt to Starfleet's medical procedures and her eagerness about the work she had performed on his body. "I am gratified that the catastrophic failure of my internal organs was an interesting development for your enjoyment," he replied to the android. "However, I trust I will not find myself in a similar situation in the near future, therefore I do not think I will be able to provide you with more material for your study soon". Seren stated, "It is in my best interest to keep the rest of my original organs where they currently are, and without further mechanic augmentations" he specified in the event that V-Nine would be tempted to keep replacing parts of his anatomy with synthetic components.

Meanwhile, the droid was babbling with the jargon of a young human. It kept irking Seren somehow, which blinked a couple of times in the face of such an unnecessary display of emotion. However, the data she provided him was quite revealing and answered some of the questions he had asked himself just minutes earlier. "Indeed, I am a Counsellor." He confirmed more promptly than Vulcan decorum permitted as a result of his curiousity. At the very least, that hasty response would have been seen as parsimonious in the standards of other species. "Please state succinctly the nature and changes of your upgrade" he requested. He had a rough idea of what those changes had been according to his previous analysis and the involvement, in some way, of Thea, an example of an advanced IA. However, he was keen to analyze V-Nine's standpoint on these upgrades, rather than the upgrades themselves.  "It is important that you establish the initial and current status of your subroutines and codes as accurately as possible," he added. Would this be the opportunity to study and guide the development of a synthetic creature? It was a fascinating prospect.

Reply #23
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TWilkins @Numen 
[Show/Hide]
The inquiry about her coding and her upgrade was surprising, and while V-Nine could have spent three hours and ninety seconds detailing her initial Savi subroutines and protocols, and yet another four hours and forty-seven seconds detailing the exponentially growing abilities that her processors could generate, she also realised that by the end of the narration, the account about her software would already have become inaccurate. Such was the pace of her developing program, the expansion of her cognitive and social abilities in constant upgrade. How might she answer the organic specimen more succinctly and yet accurately?

"Well, you know my hardware is of Savi design and composition, with computational components alien to Federation technology. Like a computer system, this platform that you are seeing is both the storage unit - the memory banks - as well as the processing unit. My upgrade has nothing to do with the basis of my physical existence as you perceive it. In terms of mechanical and computational components, I am a constant without a physical upgrade of my platform. It's what has happened to my running program that is new," she said in a carefree way and tapped the side of her cranial unit with a metallic finger. Visual guidance, she had learned, was key to explain something to patients.

"The upgrade of my Savi coding is actually a matter of gradually being able to match routines between the programming of my makers with the Synthesis Code. This, being the matrix copied from Thea - a processing algorithm unlike any in the Savi Archive. The reason it was found to be unique, was that during the time in which you were in stasis, an unknown alien entity somehow managed to briefly transform Thea's holographic projection interface into a breathing, organic female of the human variety."

Given how unprecedented such an occurrence was in both the Federation database and the Archive, V-Nine could understand if the Vulcan male had a difficult time to accept what she'd just told him. "While the chosen methodology of said alien is an unknown factor, the results were found to be indisputable. With her experience, Thea's A.I. began to behave unlike any known programs of artificial design. This was why my makers foraged her positronic brain from the computer core of this ship. As of now, she has not just surpassed the set limits of her original Federation programming... she has evolved into a new digital entity. A digital spirit with an organic processing matrix. This is what the Savi designated as the Synthesis Code."

This knowledge was... humbling, in a word, when V-Nine spoke of it. The conclusion seemed evident to her, so she struck a silly little pose next to the biobed.

"And now I have it!" She laughed a little at the way she finished it. "Thea uploaded it to me, and my Savi runtime is gradually translating it. I am expanding beyond my original programming, but in Federation standards when it come to these matters of A.I. computational standards ... I already had a learning and sentient program before the upgrade, only very different from what Starfleet would be used to. Oh... I now realise that I may actually have failed to answer your question, haven't I? You were asking how I was feeling after the upgrade, right? My bad!"

V-Nine shook her cranial unit and chuckled, putting a hand over her main lens.

Reply #24
[Show/Hide]
attn: @Auctor Lucan

Seren leaned on the biobed pillow, hands intertwined on his lap, as he listened to the synthetic being's answer to his questions. It was a strange sensation, to experience the beat of his heart where his fingers rested on the lower edge of his rib cage, but being unable to feel the operation of that organ inwardly, as he had done for most of his life. This lack of control over his bodily autonomy was extremely disturbing for the Vulcan, but he would not allow that this uneasiness would limit his ability to pay attention to the droid. In fact, the barrage of information that the medic droid provided, largely skirting the question he had posed, helped him to focus on the conversation and take his displeasure out of his mind.

The first revelation, that V-Nine had acquired the upgrade from Thea was surprising enough to made the Vulcan lift an eyebrow. How the ship's IA had acquired that enhancement, made the other eyebrow arise to accompany the first one. "That Thea's hologram has become a 100% organic being is highly improbable and it fringes the parameters of logic" Seren found himself saying afterwards. Even though his tone was restrained and monotonous, his unstable control over his body and emotions allowed a glimpse of the incredulity showed in the counselor's voice. However, as soon as he uttered that statement, Seren regained an immobile silence, attentive to V-Nine's explanation, in expectation that her chatter would bring some light to that strange issue. Yet Seren made a mental note to investigate the incident in the starship's database as soon as possible, as well as to analyze that modification of the resident IA's software. Reflecting on this, Seren concluded that an analysis of Thea's psychoemotional state and development would be beneficial, if no other therapist had tested the AI's personality derivation. Ultimately, all crew members' lives depended to a large extent on Thea and it was convenient to check her stability and lack of biases or some developmental problems that could compromise the crew's general welfare. In addition, this type of meeting might allow Seren to understand the incident with more accuracy and the depth with which it had affected her development and which extend it has deviated from Thea' s original programming and learning software. The study of the deviation from her creators' plans could give him an idea of how Thea and, by extension, V-Nine, would develop further in the future, if the speculation that was beginning to form in Seren's mind was correct.

When the droid finished her speech, Seren took a few seconds to formulate the questions he considered most peremptory. "Indeed, you have not answered my exact query. " He chastised the droid. "But the data you have provided is undoubtedly fascinating," he said next, setting aside her guess about him asking for her feelings about her upgrade. " A question: why did you choose a young human woman mannerisms? You have inherited them from Thea's software along with your own self-image following the design of your chassis or there have been other reasons for it?" he asked, before he elaborated the reason for his questions, while inviting V-Nine to reflect on the matter. "It is logical that Thea chose this type of personality, since she has been oriented by her creators towards this type of behaviour and personality, through programming, experience, the extensive knowledge that her databases and her interaction with her creators and with the crew members hold in this respect until the moment of the incident with the alien entity that you have described. Even her own holographic form impels her to acquire that kind of personality or self," he explained in a calm voice. "However, that you have chosen the same kind of mannerisms has some logic holes. Initially you could have inherited Thea's development as it was, but given the high evolution capability of that new software, at this point you might have been able to orient your own development in whatever direction you desired. So... why a young human woman? Why don't develop a personality and mannerisms more in tune with your creators with whom you have had more extensive experience, I assume? If you have used Thea's database to choose this personality, why is it particular and not that of another federal species? Was this a conscious choice or not? Or maybe you just stand as an extension of Thea's new personality on a physical chassis? A sort of pruning of her persona on a mobile platform." Elucubated the Vulcan, giving voice to his mental process that, usually, he would keep for himself. However, curiosity impelled him to ask these questions, to have V-Nine reflect on them and to get answers.

"How do you feel about the changes you are experiencing?" he finally inquired, returning to the question she had possed before.

Simple Audio Video Embedder