Skip to main content
Topic: Day 33 [1945 hrs.] Girl Interrupted (Read 6268 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 33 [1945 hrs.] Girl Interrupted

[ Lt. Cmdr. Rutherford | Counseling Complex | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] attn: @Havenborn
[Show/Hide]

Counselors … Samantha didn’t know why they felt like the least relatable out of all the branches Starfleet had to offer. There was a certain intimacy associated with their work, that she did not readily share with anyone. As a matter of fact, she found a counseling session more invasive than a heart transplant. At least, a medical practitioner knew what he was to expect, cutting open someone’s ribcage. Someone’s intestines weren’t really private, nor were they very individual. Everyone had a heart and it always looked kind of similar and was in the same space – least what natural born humans was concerned. But at any rate, there was always a layout on file, of what an alien would look like, cut open, too. The psyche?! Oh boy – totally different story.

With that being said, the diplomat did not care for someone to cut her soul open and dig around in there. She had evaded counselors whenever possible. She had even, back in the day, opted for a then experimental drug dispenser implant, rather than the prospect of a continuous, Starfleet mandated series of counseling sessions, to battle her mild bipolar disorder. The only times she had actually had to bite the bullet was with every new posting and subsequent mandatory evaluation. And since she had learned from experience, that it was best to be done and over with, she had decided to take the first appointment offered to her. And here she was now, sitting in the waiting room of the counseling complex, waiting for her name to be called out. How embarrassing.

She could already tell that everyone would be looking at her, scrutinizing her, judging her. She didn’t have to be a mind-reader to understand that everyone thought something was wrong with you, if you waited in front of a shrink’s office. That’s what it was, basically, charming moniker aside. Luckily, so far, no one was there with her, but the Ensign at the reception whom she’d announced her arrival with. And even then, she’d noticed that subtle scan of her posture. Trying to figure out what her ‘issue’ was for being here. Oh yeah, she was on to that little guy! He obviously thought that she looked like a nutjob waiting to happen, the way he stole glances at her every few minutes. Maybe it was her hair? She had not intended to look as disheveled as her tender curls sometimes came across. This was not the place for it! You needed to look as much put together as you could, or else they’d wheel you out on a stretcher with a straitjacket on.

Brushing her blonde mane behind her ears the diplomat looked straight ahead, clearing her throat, legs close together. How would it look if she’d just run for it?!

Re: Day 33 [1945 hrs.] Girl Interrupted

Reply #1
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Deck 08, Counseling Department Offices | USS Theurgy, Vector 1 ] Attn: @Stardust

Daniel knew that he shouldn’t have confided in Uriah that he had begun to develop a bit of Isolophobia, the fear of being isolated, they had been speaking about recent events and Daniel had mentioned it off hand.  Uriah had said he wasn’t going to mention anything but he had a strong suspicion that his friend had only said that to keep him off guard.  Literally a day later he got an order from the Counseling department ordering him to report for examination.  Thus it was that Daniel found himself walking towards the Counseling offices.  As far as Daniel was concerned Counselors were the most useless branch of the Medical department.  They asked you uncomfortable questions and invaded your privacy.  He knew that even his people had Counselors but that still didn’t change his opinion on them.

He turned the corner and saw the door that would lead to the Counselor’s office.  The moment he had been dreading since receiving the order to report here was finally at hand.  He stepped up to the door and a moment later it opened, revealing an male Ensign sitting behind a desk and a beautiful blonde-haired blue-eyed Human female.  He almost forgot where he was as he walked into the waiting room.  She was strikingly beautiful and an officer, a Lieutenant Commander, from her rank pins.  He also noticed the red uniform meaning she was Command department, that was interesting.  As he approached the desk he looked at the Ensign.  “Lieutenant Daniel Havenborn, I have an appointment.”  He said, the junior officer looked at him for a moment then nodded his head and motioned for him to take a seat adding that the next available Counselor would see him soon.

Daniel nodded and walked towards a seat near the blonde officer.  He sat down, a single empty chair between them and took another glance at her, she had an amazing body from what he could tell.  He turned his gaze from her and stared ahead, he wondered what she might in here for, although he didn’t recognize her so it was possible she was one of the new influx and thus was here for a standard examination.  Thankfully he had avoided any sort of Counseling sessions since he’d boarded but thanks to Uriah’s big mouth he couldn’t avoid this.  He turned back to the blonde officer, "Hello, I'm Lieutenant Havenborn, TacCONN."  He said introducing himself to her.
Defeat, Genocide; why quibble with semantics.

Reply #2
[ Lt. Cmdr. Rutherford | Counseling Complex | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] attn: @Havenborn
[Show/Hide]

There was also something about counselor’s offices themselves, and the way the interior décor so forceful tried to manipulate you into a sense of comfort and complacency. For someone who had made a career of manipulating people’s sensibilities and agendas, the blonde was astutely aware of how these things worked and why the color scheme, as well as the lighting, indulged slightly warmer hues, than the focus required in other areas of the ship. This little scheme was so blatantly obvious it made her skin crawl. Even more so being basically forced into this manipulation.

One minute in, Samantha’s worst assumptions became a reality, as the doors wished open once more. For a split second the diplomat was using all her mental power to manipulate fate into it being just a malfunction, a ghost maybe, or someone who had come to the wrong office. But as blue eyes fell on the handsome white-collar, making his way over to the front desk to announce himself, all that hope was out the non-existent window. However, it was all too quickly replaced with the curiosity what his deal was. Why would HE have to visit a counselor?! Oh the changing tides of sweet hypocrisy.

Appraising his Greco-Roman features and hairstyle, like someone out of a history book, or chipped from a block of marble, the blonde averted her interrogative gaze once he turned to take a seat. Casually tending to the hem of her uniform jacket instead, pulling it into place where it crumpled against her lap. Ultimately staring ahead, she brushed her plump lips together, making an effort to seem somewhat misplaced. Maybe he’d think she was here for the … the view. Well, there wasn’t really anything else worthwhile in the counseling department than dancing your feelings or finding your childhood traumas in blots of ink.

However, Samantha’s best efforts were shattered rather radically at the man’s baritone ringing so close to her. Now seemingly even with a much warmer quality to it, than for the Ensign, that could’ve just as well been a hallucination. Looking over at his dark features, somewhat perplexed, the diplomat ultimately smiled, somewhat relaxed. She could now certainly make an effort not to seem crazy. “Lieutenant Commander Rutherford, Chief Diplomatic Officer.” she returned his introductions, crossing the empty chair with a greeting hand. Since he was of inferior rank, it was not against diplomatic protocol, if she offered a hand first. Instead, it was probably courteous.

“You also came for the ‘art’?” she chuckled, now certainly feeling a bit more relaxed, as she motioned around the non-descript painting meant to evoke a sense of calm and recollection. “I swear, that one looks like a monkey and a rooster, beat each other to death with a paintbrush.” The blonde mused, squinting her eyes slightly at the artwork ahead. Wasn’t it meant to start a deeper discussions into its meaning anyways?

Reply #3
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Deck 08, Counseling Department Offices | USS Theurgy, Vector 1 ] Attn: @Stardust

As she offered her hand Daniel grasped it, applying enough pressure for a firm handshake.  “A pleasure to meet you Commander Rutherford.”  Daniel said releasing her hand from the handshake.  So far she seemed like a nice enough officer, a diplomatic officer like Riley’s paramour Faye.  Although this woman was much more to his liking physically.  As she mentioned him also coming for the art he looked at he with a raised eyebrow, he wasn’t quite sure what she meant until she motioned around the room at the different pieces of what passed for artwork in here. 

“I suppose that is one reason I am here.”  He said as she realized that she was trying to make a joke and smiled, she seemed to relax a little as well.  Daniel looked at the painting that she was referencing but he didn’t really see it.  “There doesn’t seem to be any tasteful artwork in here, although I’m not sure I would really call this art.”  He said with a chuckle of his own this time.

“So you’re one of the new influx I take it?  How are finding your posting onboard so far?”  He asked her, as he focused his attention towards her.

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]

Letting white teeth break free from the confines of her plump, rosy lips, the diplomat reverberated the sentiment given to her. The man displayed the well-mannered decorum befitting of an officer, especially one with a military background, she assumed. Most Tac-CONN people had one, didn’t they? So it was not entirely surprising art was not on the man’s mind, especially in here. It didn’t have to be. Much like interpersonal relationships, art was entirely in the eye of the beholder. One joke could make an entire room bend and contract in laughter, or it could fizzle out like a dud. It was entirely subjective. But she liked the deeper logic behind both of it regardless. Or maybe that was just the quarter Vulcan blood, coursing through her veins.

Letting his initial comment sink in, appraising his follow-up with a small chuckle and nod, the blonde woman looked back at the painting across from them. Taking the seemingly uncoordinated burst of color and texture in for a moment longer. Until Havenborn broke the silence with a question of his own. Raising brows at the query posed, blue eyes switched over to the officer beside her once more, before a surprised pate blended into a pleasant one. “I think my transition has been made fairly easy.” she replied, fairly vaguely. “There’s certainly something to be said about unsurmountable odds, adding to a sentiment of comradery and inclusion.” The diplomat shrugged lightly. Surely there was someone in the offices beyond, that could put a more scientifically proven spin, on the assumption.

“So, you’re a fighter pilot, right?” Samantha nodded at the white collar around his neck, figuring the position would make it easier to ascertain what he was likely in for. “Fear of flying?” she posed, with a daring grin, trying to make light of the situation once more. Surely, any of them had their cross to bear, one way or another, especially those who had been aboard for the majority of the ride so far. She wouldn’t have held it against anyone, if they battled their own personal daemons, even outside their sweaty nightmares. Especially since there were nicer things to get sweaty over, in bed.

Reply #5

Her smile was incredible, and if he was honest he could get lost in her eyes.  Daniel would love to get to know her in a more casual sense.  He was fairly sure that Miranda would love it if he brought her to bed.  His parents and even his aunt and uncle had started out in Harem Marriages but they had become monogamous eventually.  It wasn’t too uncommon for that to happen within his people’s culture but the Harem Marriages were still a large part of the culture.  However he turned his thoughts back to the current situation, he could broach that subject later, as he listened to her answer and nodded.  “That is good to hear.”  He said.  “Insurmountable odds are our specialty onboard Theurgy.”  Daniel replied with a smile.

Daniel nodded as she commented on his position as a pilot.  “I am indeed a pilot, Flight Leader of 3rd Flight currently.”  He added.  When she asked if he was afraid of flying he shook his head.  “No, Isolophobia.  A fear of being isolated.  I mentioned it to my RIO and he saw to it that the Counselors got wind of it and now I get to talk to them about it.”  Daniel said still a little annoyed at his situation.  “How about yourself, what are you in for Commander?”  He asked her politely.  He also enjoyed listening to her speak, she had a very sensual voice, he supposed that came in handy when dealing with other diplomats, keep them off guard.

Reply #6
[Show/Hide]

Samantha was indeed very skilled in the practices and social conventions of many known species, though still on a broader scale, rather than all the little subsections and ethnic variations within them. Just like with humans. She knew how to react and compose herself as a Federation envoy, how to compose herself and what values to reflect on behalf of her species as a whole. But even within the human races there were so many nuances and differences to be considered if one were to really dive into it. As a matter of fact she was not at all aware of the social systems of Havenborn’s people on Mars. Though it mirrored similar traditions in ancient earth cultures that had long turned to history. But the galaxy was such a big and varied place that there probably was no imaginary custom that did not really exist somewhere in some society.

Laughing pleasantly at the man’s comeback, the blonde nodded appreciatively. He certainly too had a way about him that could make someone feel at ease as he seemed to not take himself too seriously. Also, beneath the subtle humor, was a vague truth, hidden in plain sight. Theurgy certainly offered an abundance of bleak odds. But that’s why they were all here, to find solutions for those. She had not yet, however, met a fighter pilot of their extensive squadron. But she wouldn’t be able to say that in an hour from now.

Know exactly knowing what ‘3rd flight’ entailed, the diplomat decided not to query on it as to not hold the conversation up by idle explanations of inferior points. There was, after all, a far more interesting topic presented, shortly thereafter. “Aaah.” she nodded slowly, stretching out the vowel, giving the notion both a knowing and understanding capacity. “Then why the chair?” she grinned, tipping her pate and blue eyes at the one chair between them, that sat there as a token of his manners, probably, yet not contradicting condition. She pondered if that was really a thing, that there was a treatment for. Wasn’t everyone fearful of being isolated? At least a little bit? And from what little she’d gleamed so far of the man, his charm, his looks, his wit; it didn’t seem like he would’ve had trouble remaining surrounded by people.

“Well, I have these hallucinations where I fancy myself an art-critic.” Samantha replied, arching her plump lips downward slight, with a misleading nod to her obvious fib, eyes rolling over at the artworks for further indication. Ultimately however she gave the man a toothy smile, shaking her head in revelation. “Just the usually appraisal for my new posting.” she explained. It didn’t really sound as interesting as it was annoying. “But at this point, I am not sure they’ll find anything that others haven’t already.” she shrugged idly.

"How long have you been on the Theurgy?"

Reply #7

Daniel smiled as she laughed, he could listen to her laugh all day he thought to himself.  There were also other things he’d like to do with her all day, a few of those thoughts even formed images in his mind before he willed them away, he needed to stay focused on the here and now, and just like that a new image popped up in his mind of him, Miranda and the lovely blonde next to him.  He refocused on the situation at hand as he realized she had asked him a question about the chair between them.  “I thought it would be polite to have a chair between us, we were after all strangers just until a minute ago.”   Daniel said with a chuckle.  “I can switch seats if that would make you more comfortable?”  He asked her playfully.

He smiled at her art-critic response, he found her sense of humor to be delightful and he was really enjoying her company.  Daniel listened to her reason for visiting the Counselor and thought of his reason for being here again, he had dealt with Isolophobia all his adult life without it really affecting him, he first became aware of it shortly after he had left his homeland.  It came and went and he’d never needed to speak to a Counselor about it before.  Although he was enjoying the company he had, maybe he'd have to thank Uriah instead of getting back at him.  “Ah, I see.”  Daniel replied to her real answer.

As she asked how long he’d been aboard he thought to himself, in all honesty he hadn’t really been aboard that long, but then the same could be said for a lot of the crew, it sometimes felt like he had been onboard for years but really it wasn’t even two months.  “I’ve been aboard for roughly a month and a half, give or take a few days.”  Daniel stated.  "I've enjoyed my short time onboard thus far."  He added.  "Have you toured the ship yet?"

Reply #8
[Show/Hide]

Samantha noticed Daniel’s thoughts drifting, if only by the absent glimmer in his brown eyes. Sadly that Vulcan ¼th of hers, did not grant her the species’ signature telepathy, but her career in the diplomatic corps did grant her a fair share of experience in reading people, by mere human measures of observation. Besides, trying to imagine what it was that they, or him specifically, thought about when they got this look, was half the fun. Outside of any professional setting, the blonde could appreciate one or the other mystery.

“Well, scoot up then, we are no strangers no more.” she laughed, flashing perfect white teeth at the man, while crossing her long legs towards him, so she could lean slightly onto the armrest between them, an inviting gesture, by any means of diplomacy and social interaction. She was curious if she could pick up a little bit of his scent, if he got closer. There was also a lot to be said about a man by the way he smelled. For some their natural odor was just as overbearing as their ego. For others their scent was buried beneath layers of sandalwood and sea-buckthorn, just like their character.

As he told her that he too was not on the ship that long, Samantha knew for a fact he was probably underselling what all could happen, in what others would consider a ‘short amount of time’. At least on this ship. “Did you get to fly a lot?” she imagined that would be an activity conducive to his happiness. She’d briefly dated a pilot at the academy, and he had been all about flying. He would’ve probably had preferred a good flight over a good ride – of hers. Which was all kinds of wrong, in hindsight.

To his question the diplomat had to contemplate a moment, before shaking her ehad almost hesitantly, until the full thought process was completed, and she came up with a definite: “Not really.” Well, maybe not the picture of ‘definite’. “I have seen some parts, mostly due to happenstance. Anything you would recommend worth seeing?” Some guys knew the best places, especially when at that age, where every spot could be a potential make-out destination, and hormones ran high at all hours of the day.

Reply #9

“Thank you, I think I will.”  Daniel said as he smiled; he stood up and switched seats sitting down next to her.  As he took a seat next to her he immediately picked up her scent, she had a piney floral scent that he recognized as lavender.  It was an intensely pleasant scent and he was glad that he had moved seats.  He was aware of his own scent, a citrusy/mint blend, from a cologne that he was wearing, it had been a gift from Junior Lieutenant Demetria Daniels, the two of them had been close and if he hadn’t been the SCO he likely would have courted her as well as Krissy.

“Yes, sometimes more than I want.”  Daniel stated.  “Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy flying as it was what I was raised from birth to do but I do enjoy other activities.”  He added.  Especially when he was in a relationship with someone, he quite enjoyed spending time with them, spending his time with Miranda was amazing and he looked forward to spending as much time with her as he could.  Although he would love to add more women to their relationship they just had to find the right people to ask.  Daniel knew from experience that finding women who were open to polyamorous relationships, or a Harem Marriage in Daniel's case, were rare.  Luckily he had found Miranda who was entirely open to it, he would have to see if the gorgeous blonde next to him would be willing to join them.

As she shook her head to his question he smiled.  “Well there are several good spots, the Public Baths is one spot that is definitely worth checking out, I am very partial to the Holodecks as holography is a hobby of mine, there are four lounges, Spearhead, Whetstone, Below Decks and the Wardroom which is officer’s only.”  Daniel said taking a moment to pause.  “There’s also the Arboretum which is a nice place to go to just relax.  If you’d like I can show you around once our appointments are done.”  Daniel offered, while the thought of them doing something romantic while on a tour of the ship did cross his mind he wondered if she would be into that, he already knew that Miranda wouldn't want him to miss an opportunity like this and if he could convince her to come back to his bedroom for a threesome with Miranda then all the better.

Reply #10
[Show/Hide]

Watching the tall man with a gleeful sparkle to her blue eyes, Samantha nodded complacently, as he sat down next to her, a wave of invigorating odour, following his momentum. He smelled like a Moroccan morning. A herald of his heritage, potentially? It was a rather superficial assessment, admittedly. “You’ve been born on earth?” she inquired, subsequently, in a fashion that made perfect sense to her, but could’ve potentially been somewhat out of the blue, for anyone who wasn’t telepathic, or inside her head. 

She acknowledged his first answer with a knowing nod, painfully aware of the fact that sometimes something you loved, could become a chore, once it fell under the professional guise of duty. Which was why she hadn’t become a chef, after all, her first true love. But as Daniel continued, she wasn’t quite sure which bit of information she wanted to jump on first, as they were both dangling there so alluringly. And as it so went, with dilemmas like that, it was usually best to address them in chronological order.

“You were raised to fly?” Samantha inquired curiously, for the very phrasing made it sound like he was an avian, a hawk maybe. “And what other activities would that be?” Straightforward, perhaps. But the easiest way to find out what you wanted, about someone, was still to simply ask them. There were certainly more covert ways, to approach the information, if outright honesty was simply denied. Which was always a bridge only crossed when faced with it. She had an idea, about what his mind was circling around, which was perfectly fine, as long as he’d be confident enough to be upfront about it.

And as Daniel started to give her his virtual sightseeing tour of the Theurgy, Samantha nodded knowingly. At least at the stations she had already checked on the map. The public baths, ironically had been a rather fun experience with Sarresh, ending up in a hot tub alone, sharing a rather intimate moment. The holodecks, however, had been limited for solitary workout, so far, on the tracks through earth’s national parks. Then, Below Decks, where she’d met her counterpart of Starfleet Intelligence, Andrew Fisher, the night before, also sharing a rather … privileged, sentiment. One could say she’d been around the proverbial block, that was the Theurgy and its crew.

As the man subsequently offered his invitation, the diplomat only pondered on it for a few seconds. What really had she been waiting for, in terms of an excuse to skip out of her psyche evaluation, than a handsome man in pilot colors?! “Sure, let’s do it.” she conceded, slapping her hands flat onto the armrests of her chair, before pushing herself out of it in a swift motion. Turning to face the brunette man, she reached out a delicate hand, to help him to his feet, more as a gesture of invitation, than an actual crutch.

“But let’s keep the stops, where we get sweaty or wet, for last.” she winked, turning in her spot, to confidently strut out of the anteroom to the counseling department, with an alluring bounce to her steps.

Reply #11

“No I was born on Mars, my people trained me to become a pilot for a war that is likely to never happen.”  Daniel replied, he wasn’t sure why she thought he had been born on Earth but maybe she just assumed his birthplace.  He watched her nod her head and when she asked about being raised to fly it was his turn to nod his head.  “I was altered by my people and given improvements to help me pilot assault craft.”  Daniel said, he wasn’t quite sure how she’d react if he mentioned that he was from a group of people who were more or less hostile towards Earth, he would attempt to avoid using their name or mentioning that he was genetically enhanced for as long as possible.

“I enjoy spending time with my significant others, or working on my holo-scenarios and holonovels, or just spending time talking with friends.  Three years trying to return from Hell Sector gave the crew of the Resolve, my last posting before Theurgy, a lot of time to get close.”  Daniel said.  As she got up and extended her hand he was about to protest, they hadn’t had their appointments yet, but stopped when he saw the look of excitement in her blue eyes.  He didn’t like skipping out on the appointment but he also didn’t want to say no to her so he got up and decided to just go with it.

He took her hand and as she mentioned keeping the stops for getting wet and sweaty for last he smirked internally, he hoped that meant she was up for some sort of sexual interaction.  Daniel followed her out of the anteroom.  “So what would you like to see first?”  He asked the gorgeous blonde in front of him.

Reply #12
[Show/Hide]

Martian history was an interesting subject, even though it had been a while since Samantha had been thoroughly educated on it. Sort of a mandatory subject in any earth school, the history was marked with more conflicts and differences than you would consider, since they were all of the same species. It was a distinction that had no place in these modern, evolved times, of their interstellar family, yet that didn’t mean it was not still widely practiced. Away from official Federation channels, throughout all levels of human society, no matter what planet they bred their last few generations on.

“Altered …” the diplomat repeated, her voice pitching slightly, in an almost questioning capacity. A brow cooked in reminiscence of her partly Vulcan heritage, blue eyes scanned his trim figure for obvious signs of modification, or extraordinary features. Leaving her almost brazen visual inspection with none that couldn’t have been mere results of good genes. It was only then, really, that his added token of specification settled in. He had said for piloting. Well, spaceships usually came with their own joystick, so there was really no need to bring your own.

“So, we’re talking like, reflexes, visual acuity, tactical intelligence?” she queried, blue eyes finally meeting his again. Genetic improvements were a tough subject, no judgments passed, but there were those who objected that all advances in science had to be used too. She, on the other hand, could see the benefit of a nip and a tuck here and there. Why someone would replace a perfectly fine limb or entire body to become a glorified coatrack, she did not quite get.

Nodding slowly, plump lips arched in casual pondering his very points, the commander acknowledged Daniel’s CliffsNotes biography with interest. But as he had finished, and the meaning was sifted from the fluff, Samantha was left somewhat flustered and slightly incredulous. Not even certain what little detail to address first, and what to ignore altogether. “Other’s’?” she replied, slightly bewildered. “Well, if you had a lot time to get close, that might explain the plural.” She chuckled, eventually, deciding it was least offensive if she approached the oddity with humor.

Dragging the man out of the office subsequently, just as the door to one of the counseling chambers opened and a brunette man emerged, the blonde accelerated her steps as not to be caught. It felt a little bit childlike, in the moment, but they could all use a little bit of unadulterated fun! “I don’t know … what do you think is the happiest place on Theurgy?!”

Reply #13

Daniel nodded as she listed off some of his enhancements.  “Including an increased stamina for survival in low atmospheric conditions.”  Daniel added as her eyes locked with his again.  “I also have a nearly eidetic memory, allowing me to learn faster.”  Daniel added.  The theory behind that was if the pilot crashed behind enemy lines they could quickly learn how to pilot enemy craft to either return to allied bases or conduct assaults using said enemy craft.

“On the Resolve I only courted one woman, I’ve had a couple of relationships with other women before my posting to Resolve however.”  Daniel stated, he had been in a courtship with Valerie during his recovery period, before her he had courted Audrey Reagan a Martian like himself, his parents had arranged his courtship with her as per their traditions.  She had understood his desire to explore the galaxy and hadn’t held it against him when he decided to leave.  He wondered what had become of her since he had left.  He shook her from his mind, there was no reality in which he’d ever be able to find out so there wasn’t any real point in thinking about it.

As she dragged him out of the room suddenly and asked her question he had to think to himself.  He knew where he would go to find happiness onboard the ship but he doubted very much that Miranda's roommate would enjoy him stopping by with a senior officer.  Maybe the Arboretum or Holodeck would be better choices.  “Well there are two off the top of my head, the Holodecks and the Arboretum.  Do either of those sound interesting to you?”  He asked her.

Reply #14
[Show/Hide]

Samantha nodded with interest, at Daniel’s qualifications of his enhancements. They didn’t really sound like something that made up the man Havenborn as a person, but rather some DNA twisting to make him better at his job. Effectively reducing him to a tool, rather than a human individual. Which was a little bit sad. Because, given enough time, the diplomat was sure she could find a more complete picture of the man, beneath the heroic veneer of the pilot! It was what she had been trained, albeit not genetically altered, to be best in: unearthing people’s true motivations, even if they didn’t know them themselves.

“Sounds all like it could come in handy in your job.” Which was pretty much just a verbal manifestation of her internal opinions. Yet she was almost contemplating to add the ‘But how does it define Daniel Havenborn?’, that was burning behind plump lips, like the urge to scratch an itch. And as he continued to speak, the diplomat picked up on the gently peppered allusion of more, in his words. Which she hadn’t yet been able to interpret as decidedly intentional, or accidental. At any rate, however, it piqued her interest. And wasn’t that what she had been vying for, in the grander scheme of their interactions?

“Only one woman …” she repeated to herself, almost sarcastically. There was a revelation they were dancing around which the blond hadn’t yet quite been privy to. “… as opposed to the many you wished you’d have?” she subsequently asked, to lift the fog clouding her judgment of his intentions. Although having a slightly humoristic ring to her voice, she was merely using subtle comedy to make her skilled prodding appear less calculated.

“Well …” she started out as they rushed from the counseling offices. “… the holodeck could encompass a myriad of things. So how about the arboretum? I haven’t yet been.” she conveyed, steering them in the direction of the next turbolift at any rate. "Why do you like the arboretum?” the blonde subsequently asked, as they came to stand outside the doors, waiting for a car to arrive. She hoped the answer would once again allow her to gleam into a deeper understanding of the handsome man.

Reply #15
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Deck 08, Corridor | USS Theurgy, Vector 1 ] Attn: @Stardust

“It has proved to be very useful in my time as a pilot, both with my people and with Starfleet.”  Daniel responded.  He could tell that she wanted to say more but it was almost like she was holding back because she didn’t want to offend him or something of that nature.  He decided that maybe she didn’t think this was the right timing for her question.  He watched as she mulled over the information and then when she changed subjects he nodded. 

“Yes, it’s common amongst some of my people to take multiple wives or husbands.”  Daniel said and while she was definitely beautiful his thoughts about her were merely sexual at the moment, unlike with Miranda.  With Miranda the physical attraction was there but he was also attracted to her mentally and socially.  “I've recently just found a woman who has no issue with my people's customs, I think that it helps that she grew up on Mars and heard stories about my people's traditions.”  He stated.  “Have you ever thought of having being in a marriage to multiple men or women?”  He asked her.

Daniel nodded as she mentioned going to the arboretum first.  “I like it because it reminds me of my home, the Domes had enclosed parks for recreational activity, they were kept separate from the activity of the interior of the Domes to preserve the beauty of nature, even if it was mostly artificial.”  Daniel said as they waited for a turbolift car to arrive, which didn’t take very long.  As the doors opened and a pair of crewmen exited he motioned for her to step inside then followed her in.  “Computer, Deck 22 Arboretum.”  Daniel stated as he heard Thea respond.

Reply #16
[Show/Hide]

As they ventured down the corridor, side by side. One taller and square in the shoulders and narrow hips, the other shorter and more softly curved in her figure. One of brunette hair and ta complexion, the other blonde and fair as a winder morning. They did pose quite the intriguing pair, if only in the eyes of any onlookers, passing them along their journey. But in a short time, so Samantha had also found out, they were quite contrasting in character and demeanor too, which was an intriguing tangent to follow along, if not the path Daniel had laid out for them across the ship.

“Oh …” the diplomat replied, nodding her head with revealing understatement. “… like Denobulans.” she concluded, letting her voice adopt a more cheerful tone of glee. They certainly were a funny kind of people. Surely the concept of polyamorous relationships also held its own sentiment of fun, certainly in the eyes of the Marsian, it seemed. His eventual follow up question made her chuckle – after a brief moment of mocking shock. It was honestly not a concept she had ever challenged her preconceived notions of society with, that she was ingrained with from a strictly traditional Human/Vulcan upbringing.

“I have experienced firsthand that ONE marriage can already be work enough. I don’t see how that would even be manageable in bulk.” the blonde smiled at the pilot, slowly getting a more complete picture of the gems beneath the surface of slate and granite he put on as some sort of defense or machoistic mannerism. “I can see that … a feeling of home, or a connection to a pleasurable memento, can go a long way to relax.” She nodded, biting her bottom lip at the clear ignition of memories that gave her pleasure as well. Not all of which sexual. There were places she considered homey, that conveyed a sense of comfort and security. Which too were shaped by experiences from her youth.

Occupying the small turbolift cart with the man, it felt much more personal a space they were in. A confined ecosystem where their scents mixed and became some sort of concoction, just like the sounds of their breathing and shuffling of fabric, that reverberated starkly against the background hum. "So, your woman, does she like the Abroretum?”

Reply #17
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Turbolift Car | USS Theurgy, Vector 1 ] Attn: @Stardust

“Sort of like that but different.”  He said when she compared the Harem Marriage to a Denobulan marriage, he could see the similarities but also knew that it was far different.  He thought about explaining that in further detail but she seemed to have a basic understanding, besides if she wanted to know more she could ask.  Denobulans typically had no limit on the amount of people involved, within a Harem Marriage only ten people total could be married in a harem, more could be involved as lovers or paramours but they wouldn’t be recognized as part of the harem itself.

“Communication and trust are the most important parts, also an understanding of whether or not the relationship is mutually exclusive or not needs to be established.”  Daniel said, that was one reason why most, but not all, Harem Marriages tended to last only a few years.  “Indeed, although when I feel like visiting home I do have a holoprogram for that which I visit when I need to see my homeland.”  He said as the turbolift car continued to hum as it took them to Deck 22.

Hearing her call Miranda his woman made Daniel frown a bit, he never liked that term.  He wasn’t sure how exactly she meant the term but he still didn’t like it.  “I don’t know really, we’ve mostly spent time on the holodeck, meeting in the Wardroom or Spearhead Lounge or spending time down on Aldea.”  Daniel stated, he hadn’t really thought to take Miri to the Arboretum, maybe he’d have to do that later.  “She’s also not really my woman.  We’ve only just begun our courtship and we’re currently not mutually exclusive.”  Daniel stated.

Reply #18
[Show/Hide]

Samantha nodded complacently, squeezing his answer like a lemon, but coming up with mostly just a whiff of zest. She supposed it was kind of different, and then not. Which could be said about everything that wasn’t either a molecular copy or a polar opposite. So, they were covering a considerable range here. Since given how small her knowledge on Martian harem marriages, there was no real comparison. Hell, until five minutes ago, she hadn’t even known such a thing existed, so close to the epicenter of humanity. But she wouldn’t judge. Everyone’s normality was defined by their experiences.

It was in that moment that those inherent Vulcan senses kicked in once more, even though she was just a quarter off that species. There was a mouthwatering scent in the air, wafting through the corridors like a baited lure. Was someone carrying prepared food around again? She hated that. This wasn’t a five-islands pleasure cruise! And now she was hungry too! As became evident in the low grumble, emanating for her midst. Could’ve been just gas though, which a stomach grumble usually was, no? An empty bowel, reverberating the gargling sounds of digestion better? Well, she was no doctor, but that sounded logical. And if everyone knew logic, it was her.

A nod, once more, gratifying his words with a mutual understanding – not necessarily acceptance. “As in any relationship …” the blonde added, as an added thought to his theory. Conveying what you wanted in an easily digestible fashion was the key to any interpersonal connection. Otherwise frustration would fester and subsequently infect the whole system. “Do you have a harem back home, in these simulations?” she teased, looking over at Daniel with a mischievous glimmer to her blue eyes. It was certainly a way to fulfill a longing, no fuss, that was not exactly easily relatable for many people.

“What does she like, then?” Sam inquired, trying to gauge what the nature of this relationship was, if they were to be seen out and about together. She had no intention to be attacked by what could be a jealous Nausican female. “Courtship.” she snickered. “So formal.” Letting white teeth break from rosy lips, she beamed at Daniel, drawing quite some pleasure from teasing the somewhat stoic man with the clear desire to keep it wholesomely together around ‘strangers’.

“So, you usually fly solo?”

Reply #19

Daniel nodded.  “I suppose another difference is that if a harem marriage isn’t exclusive each of the members can have lovers and paramours outside of the harem.  Although to be honest I’ve never experienced firsthand what it’s like to be in one.”  He said, he’d only courted women one at a time after all.  Finding women who were agreeable to sharing you with another woman, or even another man were far and few between.  He counted himself lucky that he had found Miri, but also enjoyed the fact that they could be non-exclusive.  “I do in fact maintain a simulated harem, though I don’t use it when I am in a relationship.”  Daniel stated.

Daniel thought about her question.  “Well so far our shared passion is the holodeck but she also likes holo-photography.  She works in Engineering as a Holo-Systems Engineer.  Incidentally in a holodeck is also where we met.”  Daniel said thinking back to when he shared his Mars simulation with Commander Stark, the holodeck apparently needed some repair work and Miri had been scheduled for it.  Commander Stark had introduced Daniel to her and it was love at first sight for them both.

Daniel nodded as she stated that courtship was so formal.  “It’s the terminology that my people use, at least it was when I lived there, to describe any non-married relationship.  I’ve heard others refer to it as dating, which to me sounds weird.”  Daniel stated.  Krissy had always stated that they were dating which to him felt odd, it was apparently slang that had been erased by his ancestors when they had settled Mars.

“No, I fly with a RIO, a co-pilot of sorts who helps me during sorties.”  Daniel said.  “I’m the pilot of a Gryphon-pattern Mark-II Valkyrie, the only Gryphon in the Lone Wolves unfortunately.”  He added on.  He wasn’t sure why she had suddenly asked about that but he was happy to inform her.

Reply #20
[Show/Hide]

„Would it still be considered a harem marriage if it’s not exclusive?” Samantha asked curiously, though her words were laced with the slightest judgment, which she soon elaborated on. “Seems like it would defeat the purpose of any kind of official denotation, if everyone was eager to engage with whomever and as many as they’d like? Sounds more like social interactions on Theurgy to me.” she chuckled, biting white teeth into the rosy flesh of her bottom lip at the humorous thought. In such a short time on the ship, she had realized how prevalent the desire to consummate with any crewmate available, really was. Surely it had something to do with the added stress of their rogue mission. But that was for a counselor to figure out, really. Or an entire squad thereof.

The revelation of a virtual harem was not as surprising really, given the magnified libido prevalent, the healthiest and least compromising course of action was probably to unleash the dragon upon photons and forcefields. And a harem marriage, on a ship such as Theurgy, surely sounded quite compromising, at least to the fabric of Starfleet etiquette. For her, after all, who was married to ONE fellow officer, it had been hard enough, at times, to separate personal and professional feelings. So, she just nodded knowingly.

“It’s your theme.” the commander chuckled, finding it sort of cute, that they both seemed equally quirky, in that regard. Which was funny, because it wasn’t exactly the character, she had first found Daniel to portray. Peeling away a little bit on that veneer, was turning out to be a rather endearing and amusing endeavor. “Well, if you say it like that, ‘dating’ does sound weird.” she subsequently mused. Like you would contemplate a fact that had seemed totally normal all your life, but the moment one poked criticism at it, the whole sentiment unraveled into one of doubt and skepticism. Or maybe that was just one of her personal proclivities.

Samantha nodded once more at the revelation of a co-pilot, sort of a backseat driver, to Daniel’s dashing advances. But he lost her wholesomely as the explanations carried on. “I don’t know what any of that means.” she laughed, as the turbolift came to a halt on the deck of their destination. “Gryphon pattern … is that like a special livery?”

Reply #21

“Yes, the harem itself is more for establishment of a stable family unit, if for example a man and woman of the harem want to have children, everyone must agree to it, and assuming everyone does, everyone also takes on the roles as parents, something that lovers and paramours are free from.”  Daniel explained.  “My parents, and my aunt and uncle were originally part of a harem, but they left before I was born, I always assumed it was because their harems didn’t want the responsibility of having to deal with children.”  Daniel said.  He knew that people found his culture to be different but it was always interesting to see how people reacted each time.  Some people reacted as though it was entirely alien, others acted as though it were entirely natural, most people acted somewhere in between though.

“How else would you say it though?  Dating is something you do to determine to estimate the age of an object or linguistic artifact, or identifying the time and date something occurred.”  He said, to him it was odd to hear people call a courtship as dating, even when told that they were the same thing he still couldn’t fathom to use the slang for it.

“Well the Gryphon-pattern is the current Valkyrie-class mass production attack fighter model that is in use with Starfleet.”  Daniel stated.  “The Lone Wolves is Theurgy’s Fighter Squadron.”  He continued.  “The Theurgy’s other fighter classes are the Mark-III Valkyrie which doesn’t have a pattern name yet and the Mark-I Valravn.”

As the turbolift stopped and the doors opened Daniel stepped out first then waited for her to join him in the corridor.

Reply #22
[Show/Hide]

Samantha was genuinely fascinated by Daniel’s elaborations on the intricacies of a harm marriage and what measure of almost political considerations went into maintaining one. It certainly did very little to convince her it was far less work than a monogamous marriage, however. But not only through her work, but also her childhood spent among the outcasts of the galaxy’s superpowers duping it out, had she learned to value different cultures, for they all had developed a certain way for a reason. Their religions and conventions usually a response to their environment, biology or social development. As such, a custom always said a lot about what a culture was in its essence.

“You’re saying your parents, aunt and uncle were in the same harem?” the blonde almost blurted out in a bout of self-ironic laughter. It had not been intended as a judgment, just a verbalization of what it had sounded like to her. And while she wasn’t exactly an expert on the subject of polygamy, she could certainly shed a light on the details of earth’s history and how certain phrases came about. Which had all been part of her teachings of linguistic, where the history of a phrase determined its broader meaning. Oftentimes beyond that of the words it comprised of.

“Well, it is sort of that.” she admitted. “The moniker is coined from the notion of setting a prefixed date to meet, I believe. Which signifies a sense of close relation, that warrants such foresightful consideration. You can’t always judge a word by its most common use. Courtship, after all, is also not just a ship in a court. It’s the combination of courting – the act of paying court to someone – combined with ‘ship’, turning it into a noun, by denoting a property or state of being.” she smiled, appraising the man with reassuring glimmer, to blue eyes. Linguistic, of course, was a huge part of diplomacy.

As it then was Daniel’s time to shine with knowledge pertaining to his own unique duty on Theurgy, Samantha nodded with an interest, taking mental note of the details, for later use. As she always did. Following him out of the turbolift, meeting his tall stature with a thankful nod at his attentive gesture, the blonde took up position at his side once more, as they covered the short distance to their destination.

“So, could you theoretically fly all three of them? Or, would you care to fly something less … mass produced?” she asked, following her understanding that the other fighter classes had been somehow produced by Theurgy’s own engineering prowess.

Reply #23
[ LT Daniel Havenborn | Deck 22 Corridor | USS Theurgy, Vector 3 ] Attn: @Stardust

Daniel looked at her for a moment until he realized that she had misunderstood his words.  “No, they were in separate harems.  My parents wanted children so they left theirs and then later my aunt and uncle left theirs shortly before I went to live with them.”  Daniel stated.  He could see why she had misunderstood him, he didn’t state right away that they had been in separate harems.

Daniel nodded.  “I’ve never heard anyone explain dating like that before, I suppose it makes sense.”  When explained like that he had to admit that dating did sound much like how his people used courtship and courting, instead of setting times to meet and get to know each other they just entered into a relationship right away and got to know each other through spending time together.  “My people also typically arrange marriages between several dozen familial lines to help with genetic purity and stability.  It’s not uncommon for some families to exclusively arrange marriages with each other to create dynasties.  Harems also help with that because members of that group can court each other before they get married.”  Daniel added.

“I’ve been rated to fly the Mark-III and from the manuals that I’ve read up on the Valravn controls aren’t that difficult to master so I could theoretically pilot one as well.”  Daniel stated.  “I prefer my Gryphon, it is the far superior craft compared to the others since they are prototypes after all.”  Daniel said.  "Although if I had to choose between the two prototypes I’d go with the Mark-III, it's at least part of the Valkyrie line and far more aesthetically pleasing than the ugly Valravn."  He added.

“Have you had any piloting training?  I know that Starfleet Academy provides some basic training.”  Daniel asked her.

Reply #24
[Show/Hide]

While Samantha obviously wasn’t in the habit of judging other cultures, due to her occupation, there was an inherent level of prejudice prescribed to the human part of her genealogy, which she couldn’t always subdue with the Vulcan part, at all times. So, hearing that Daniel’s parents, as well as aunt and uncle, had been in different harems, served as a revealing – and relieving – clarification. Rendering her original assumption, a preconceived notion rather than an explanation of his slowly receding hairline.

“So, you don’t have six toes or anything.” She chuckled, leaning forward slightly to appraise the man’s shiny, standard issue boots. Leather she could make out the contours of her pretty pate in. A true military man took care of his equipment.

“Well, there is an explanation behind every cultural cliché, just like there is behind every motivation.” And it was certainly well within her realm of expertise to know most of them, in reference to the dominant cultures of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Because it was only once you understood the underlying issues, that you could truly address – and manipulate – a given situation. That much was true for political negotiations as well as social interactions of a more private nature, if you wanted to be technical.

With intrigue she followed the next set of explanations, pertaining to the social culture of his origins. Somewhat circling back to her original assumption. A practice often entertained by royalty, both in history and contemporary tradition of certain races. But in almost all instances, it went against the original intent of natural evolution. Mostly to the detriment of the entire system. “So, that goes in line with what you said about genetic engineering, right? As the history of inbreeding has proven to rather compromise a gene pool than containing it.” As had been the case in many royal houses on earth, leading to hereditary diseases and disfiguring, just to name one species’ experiences with it.

And even though most of what the lieutenant explained next was gibberish, in the ears of the diplomat, she took solace and delight in the energy and excitement, with which he spoke of these things. There was always a lot to say about the way something was delivered, rather than the specific meaning of the words.

“I know my way around a shuttlecraft and the basics of capital ship navigation, I reckon a fighter would be roughly the same, albeit requiring different skill levels, for sure. Up and down, left and right, roll, pitch, yaw … and what not.” she chuckled. Clearly the clinical terms of the fact were not as much her string suit as maybe executing them. She did know how to make a shuttle or starship go if she was placed in front of a console. As was required by Starfleet officer’s training.

“But what world would we live in if everyone could do anything.” she smiled, following the man through the next set of doors into the vast sea of green in the arboretum. “Have you had any experience with negotiations that did not require a target lock?”

Simple Audio Video Embedder