Skip to main content
Topic: Day 17 [0900 hrs.] Assessing The Newbie (Read 2814 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 17 [0900 hrs.] Assessing The Newbie

[ Ensign | Upper Gymnasium | Deck 06 | USS Theurgy ] @RyeTanker

The turbolift hummed softly, an indicator that it was working as it should and whisking its occupant through the bowels of the ship to her intended destination.  Ten days had passed since she had been summoned from a deep slumber-like state into wakefulness.  Ten days since her awakening into a universe that had been turned upside down.  Ten days since she’d heard the terrible news of all that had happened and how nothing was the same.

It had been a lot to process and Kizra still wasn’t sure she had really gotten into a state where she could sort of accept things as the status quo.  She still wondered if somehow, everyone had been duped into believing Starfleet Command was indeed compromised by the Captain - whom she had yet to meet.  Then again, why would the captain lie about something like that?  And if it was a lie, how were they able to gain allies in regards to it all?  Then again, what if it was some strange plot to undermine Starfleet as a whole? 

There were a lot of those. What ifs.  Then agains.  Maybes.  Nothing was certain, everything was crazy and Kizra had simply settled into something of a routine with doing whatever work was given to her.  Like trying to find a way to shield the ship and everyone on it from the effects of Thalaron radiation.

Then there was the other order, one that made sense and yet she didn’t particularly look forward to it.  After being in stasis for so long, Kizra was told to report for a security skills assessment.  She wasn’t a security officer, but she assumed this meant they would consider her skills in handling weapons as well as defensive maneuvers, the standard things taught at Academy.  Though it was not something she particularly *wanted* to do, Kizra nonetheless complied.  To not do so wasn’t going to do any good either.

And so, as the doors parted, she found herself on Deck 06.  Further down, she came to the doors that led to the upper gymnasium and they parted for her as she approached.  Inside, the area was decked out with all sorts of tools for working out, and she knew there were other rooms beyond that offered places to do sports, like parrises squares - an activity she had no desire to engage in.  Her eyes shifted about and then fell upon a woman with blue skin, a pair of antennae and white hair. 

“Lieutenant XamotZark zh’Ptrell?”  Kizra inquired as she made her way over to the woman.  She had been told to report to an Andorian by that name and since she was the only Andorian there, Kizra figured that was who it was.  “I’m Ensign Kizra Tos.  I was told to report to you for a security skills assessment.”

Kizra had come prepared.  Clad in a close fitting, black tank top and matching black shorts, she’d chosen wear that was meant to breathe and allow for easy movement, not so much for any sort of fashion statement.  One hand clutched a water bottle, and she had a feeling she was going to need it at some point.

“I believe I was called due to my time in stasis and having recently been removed from it.”  Six months.  Six months lost.  Six months, and so much had happened, but she had been oblivious. 

Re: Day 16 [0900hrs] Assessing The Newbie

Reply #1
[Lt (JG) XamotZark zh’Ptrell (Lt. Zark) | Upper Gymnasium | Deck 6 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy]

Attn: @Elyria

Lieutenant zh’Ptrell had been working her core on the training tower when she spotted the Trill walk into the gym, seemingly a little out of place.  She was certainly dressed for exercise, but there was a certain air surrounding the woman as if she found the whole notion of being in the gymnasium to be a foreign experience.  The Andorian smiled a bit as she held on to the arm rests and kept the her legs tucked in while suspended in the air.  She'd been killing time by getting in some additional exercise.  To most people, XamotZark didn't look like she needed it, but it was the price to pay for having a glaring weakness when with friends.

As the brunette Trill spotted her, the combat medic took a moment to complete some reps in rapid succession before letting herself down.  Hmmmm.  Is that the Ensign I'm supposed to be evaluating? the security officer wondered and was soon answered as one Ensign Kizra Tos introduced herself.  Zark smiled as she offered her hand to shake the young woman's.  Indeed you were.  However, before we begin.  Feel free to call me Zark, Lieutenant Zark if you want to keep it more formal.  Most people have trouble with my name, and Zark is easier to go by.  I've been Zark ever since going into the Academy, so I'm used to it.

Zark was pretty happy about this evaluation despite only being a minute or two into the whole evolution as she didn't have to deal with the waves of tension that had been emanating off the two Ensigns from the diplomatic department from a previous evaluation.  To be honest, that one had several ups and down to it, hopefully this would be more on the up side.   Indeed you were.  However, before we begin.  Feel free to call me Zark, Lieutenant Zark if you want to keep it more formal.  Most people have trouble with my name, and Zark is easier to go by.  Also I've been Zark ever since going into the Academy, so I'm used to it.  The Andorian took a moment to wind mill her arms as she stretched before continuing.  "These evaluations do take time, but they are generally pretty straight forward.  Can you use a phaser, all three types.  Can you break down and put together the Type 1 and 2.  Can you shoot? Shoot and move at the same time?" Blue shoulders that held up a cropped white tank top shrugged as she mentally dismissed an internal objection. "That one isn't so bad though we call it the tactical sense test. It's mainly do you know how to take cover and run away when necessary."  The blue face turned serious.  "Don't feel like what I just said is casting some sort of aspersion on your sense of courage,  At the end of the day, it's not your job to do any of the nasty fighting.  That's my job.  I just want to know you have the sense to come find me or someone like me to keep you alive. Okay?  Of course it's not going to be as easy as just running away.  Actually it could be sometimes."

The smile quickly returned as Zark shook her head causing her platinum pony tail to sway from side to side before continuing.  "After that is going to be first aid and basic close quarters battle, or hand to hand." Slender, but well defined arms bent to place blue hands on the waste band of a pair of black track shorts.  "It's mainly going to be a repition of the basics they taught you at the Academy in CQB 101."  The blue smile became a little crooked.  "The only thing is well errr, I may get carried away depending on the effort and uhmmmm enthusiasm or lack thereof by my partner, sort of like I did with Faye and L'Nari when I errrr, maybe I shouldn't tell you."

The blue hands detached themselves from her hips and turned palms up in the air as her shoulders shrugged once more.  "Anyway, that's not the point.  Since we're here now and there's a ring right over yonder and grab yourself some tape for your hands and a pair of MMA gloves.  You might need a mouth guard as well, but we'll see since the first thing you're going to do is show you me you can hit the focus pads I'm going to be wearing.  Any questions?"  The Andorian asked the Trill.

Reply #2

Kizra had been correct, the Andorian woman was the person who would assess her.  In all honesty, it was an easy assumption to make since she was the only other person there at that particular time.  She offered a handshake a gesture that suggested Lieutenant zh’Ptrell had spent much time around humans.  Kizra had only adopted it after entering Starfleet as it was often used there. 

Then she launched into the explanation of what was expected.  Kizra nodded at the mention of the various types of phasers.  That was pretty simple, and though she doubted her ability to shoot accurately while moving would win any awards, she would hopefully at least hit her target enough to pass.  “I can do all that.  Not necessarily with the speed of someone in security, or with skill and grace of someone in that same duty post, but I’m…capable.”  Which was another way of saying she hoped she was passable.

When it came to the matter of course, that was also not an issue.  At that, Kizra shook her head.  “Anyone who thinks that running and taking cover is cowardly is a fool.  There’s a time and a place.  I’m well aware of what my job is, and it’s certainly not to take over yours.  We’re both trained in what we do best and thus I am happy to stick to that.”

Zark smiled as she continued on with the outline of the session.  It was going to take some time, and that had already been blocked off on her schedule.  First aid was simple, and most of it was to stabilise a person until they could be given to the care of a medical officer.  Hand to hand combat was another animal altogether.  Kizra was, hopefully, passable in that as well, but she was also up against a woman who was naturally much stronger than she.  Then again, she’d learned a few things in the Academy that used the opponent’s strength and speed against her, so hopefully she’d be able to utilise that to her advantage.  Maybe. 

Either way, she was likely going to be very sore afterward. When Zark mentioned about getting carried away, Kizra gave her a sidelong look.  Carried away?  How carried away?  The very fact that she ‘probably shouldn’t mention it’ was a source of concern.  She turned to glance at the ring indicated, then back to the Andorian.  “No questions at the moment, though if you could refrain from getting carried away, I would appreciate it.” 

Turning, Kizra made her way to where the tape was kept, grabbed a roll and set about winding it about her hands and wrists.  A couple of minutes later, when that was done, she chose a pair of gloves that looked to be the right size and slipped them on before she headed into the ring.  “I imagine you do this often?  How many people like me have come out of stasis?” 

Perhaps the question might have been better asked of a doctor, but it was likely that all of them had to do exactly what Kizra was currently in the process of doing.  “I’m not particularly good at hand to hand.  At least, not when it requires these types of manoeuvres, or offensive movements.”  No, she was far better at getting out of the way than trying to actually cause damage.  “But I did at least pass when I was at the Academy.”  But would she ‘pass’ now?  That remained to be seen. 

Reply #3
[Lt (JG) XamotZark zh’Ptrell (Lt. Zark) and Ensign Kizra Tos| Upper Gymnasium | Deck 6 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy]

Lieutenant Zark reached into her gym bag to grab her MMA gloves and tossed them into one corner of the ring before snagging a pair of focus gloves out of the bag for Ensign Tos to smack.  Climbing into the ring, Zark had to smile at the Trill’s question.  "Well Ensign, this is my third evaluation so far. I’m scheduled for another two later on, though those two have been generally trying to avoid it since I threatened to turn them into pretzels after breaking out of sickbay. "  The medico grabbed the focus gloves and unlatched the velcro before sliding them onto her hands and using her free hand, then her teeth to close the seal.  With that done, the Andorian turned to face the Trill and bounced on her feet a few times.  "To be fair, I was threatening them to piss them off since their moods were pretty bad to start with so I needed them to focus on something else other than how weak they were. Worked pretty well too.  Azrin the Engineer, actually had the gumption to get mad and would have made a fight of it if she wasn’t so weak to start with.  Mia, another scientist, needed a little more encouragement."  The statuesque Andorian stepped into the middle of the ring and waved the evaluee over. "Now, as for you, remember, this is a test of proficiency, or can you do it.  Wherever I put the glove, you hit it with the closest limb, hands and legs.  These gloves have sensors in them so I can record the hit strength and see if it’s enough."  Zark waved the big black gloves with flat bottoms to indicate what Tos had to hit. "You’re mainly going to hit to disable, delay, and incapacitate so you can get away okay?"  With that, Zark held the gloves up around her chest and torso, pointing the flat part at the scientist.  With that, the security officer let the Trill hit the pads and when she thought the time was right, take a swing at her opponent to see her reactions.  Hopefully, she’d remember to dodge.

Zark nodded as the fist work at the chest level was complete.  She felt the Trill could hit harder, but that could change depending on how desperate she was. "Okay, not bad overall, now use mainly your legs and kick the target.  Don’t forget your knees also count." and the pads dropped below her chest.  The Andorian realized there were going to be a few points that most people wouldn’t consider, so she made sure at some point to put the glove in front of her crotch and hoped Kizra didn’t miss.  In addition, Lt. Zark would make sure to keep things interesting if she got bored and wanted to see how her opponent would be paying attention when she moved to trip her.

This was most definitely not the sort of activity that Kizra would engage in for pleasure. For some, fighting was a source of adrenaline, a way to get the high from it without the need for drugs.  For others, it was an outlet, a way to let off steam.  And still others used it as a way to keep them fit and their abilities sharp.  She, herself, was not inclined to such amusements and was more than happy to leave them to others.

At the same time, there were standards in Starfleet.  Basic self defense, the ability to use weapons, all these were done in order to make sure that an officer had the ability to protect herself if needed.  In general, that was Security’s job, but one also had to take matters into their own hands at times.  Kizra hoped she never had to. 

There were other forms of exercise that were much more appealing, but she also wasn’t one to spend hours to build muscle mass.  Although she was in shape, she just didn’t spend her life in the gym.  She much preferred the science lab. 

Still, she wanted to get it over with and do so in a manner that showed she was actually halfway capable.  So, as the Andorian told her what to do, she employed the strikes, not forgetting to use the knees.  When the woman told her to stop, she did so and stepped back, her breath coming a little heavier with the exertion.  Okay, so she *had* been in shape.  “What next?”

Lieutenant Zark nodded and according to the manual, Ensign Tos had completed what was requisite and could be considered a pass. Still, all of the actions had seemed a bit too formal, and mechanical.  Life was hardly as the manuals wrote and the Security Officer had seen enough over the course of the Dominion War and its aftermath to know that there were some things that just had to be taught by passing experience.  Removing the large focus gloves, the Andorian gathered them in her hands and gave the scientist a brief smile.  "Here, Catch." Was all the warning the blue woman gave before tossing the gloves at the Trill’s head then charging and hitting her midsection with a shoulder tackle that sent both women to the ground in a loud bang as the ring floor noisily absorbed the impact. Lt. Zark had done this so many times at this point, that she had to reign in her automatic reaction to strike the jugular.  Her legs straddled the younger woman’s arms and chest, then raised both hands over her head in preparation for a hammer blow and paused.  "Okay Ensign, you’ve just been knocked to the floor and your opponent is about to smash your head in. Normally, you’ll just have to react, but in this case what do you do?  Remember, you don’t have time or the ability to hit someone.  If you do try to hit me, I will hit you."

The sudden attack nearly took Kizra’s breath away, and she stared up at the Andorian with wide eyes.  When she paused and asked what she would do, Kizra had to take a moment to think about it.  Such a situation had been taught in her classes, but she’d not had to ever utilise that sort of move.  Finally, with a quick motions, she thrust up her hips and quickly pulled up her knees, putting more space between her and the ‘assailant’.  Immediately, she pushed and rolled to the side, and the two found themselves flipped over, their positions reversed. 

Zark had let out a ‘Whao!’ when she’d been turned over and she was surprised at the strength the Trill could muster to dislodge her.  Ending up on the bottom was also a bit of a surprise and the Andorian lay there for a moment to see what the young woman would do next.  When nothing happened, Zark mentally sighed and returned the favour by heaving her torso, sending the woman falling off in a heap.  The combat veteran scrambled over to Kirza and tackled her down once more before straddling her again.  A blue hand lashed out and slapped the Trill across both cheeks with the palm and back of her hand.  The same hand formed a first and came careening down at high speed before slamming into the mat beside her head with a painful sounding thud.    "Either follow through and kill or incapacitate, or run away.  Either way Ensign.  Don’t stop to ensure your survival. Got it?"  Hard blue-green eyes looked intently into brown ones for a moment before the Andorian got off and stood up while offering her hand to help the young woman get up before offering a gentle smile again. "Get up, then we’ll head to the Security Centre for the rest of the tests, and don’t worry you’ve already passed.  I just hope this little lesson holds when you really need it."

If Kizra had been asked, and had she been inclined to share her innermost thoughts, she might have admitted that she was almost halfway surprised that the move had worked.  While it had not been all that long since her graduation, it had been long enough, and she hadn’t even needed to use anything she’d been taught.  The sudden turn of events that followed, the subsequent flipping back to where they were, the slaps to the face were even more unexpected.  “Hey!” 

Scrambling to her feet and without accepting the assistance, Kizra lifted her hands to her cheeks, the blood heightening their colour and turning them warmer beneath her touch than usual.  The sting lingered, though with every passing moment it faded.  Eyeing the Andorian warily, the Trill clamped down on the rise of anger that roiled within.  “That was uncalled for!”

A shapely platinum eyebrow quirked at the Trill’s irate response and the Andorian withdrew her hand to cross her arms under her chest.  Zark could feel her hackles start to rise, matching the anger Kizra was feeling and she closed her eyes, took a moment to step on the urge to punch the Trill in the face, maybe bloody her nose a bit, to emphasize her point; again.  "Your death or maiming would also be uncalled for Ensign." Zark calmly retorted to the irate scientist when she was sure she had control of her temper.  Blue-green eyes opened again and bore in hard and level as her antennae seemed to grip her head as they pointed at Kisra. "Ensign Tos, that wasn’t the point.  Against the enemies we are facing, your survival in combat is not a science experiment or a game with rules to be repeated, and re-tried if anything goes wrong.  It’s a binary solution set, you could be killed, captured, maybe tortured or turned into a slave afterwards.  And don’t scoff at the possibility.  I’ve read the riot act to the Chief Diplomatic Officer over her last escapade that almost had her, and two other members of the crew turned into Orion slave.Not her fault, but it almost happened anyway."

The Andorian took a deep breath.  "Ensign. The point is, we live in an imperfect universe, and as idyllic as the Federation is, not everyone agrees with what we are.  As much as we’d like to be able to talk out differences to have them sorted out, we can’t rely on them, and we have to be ready to defend ourselves, so if your stinging cheeks serve as a reminder to get out while you can, I’m will to live with your indignation towards me because I have done my job in keeping you alive."

Your job is to assess my ability and make sure that I am able to defend myself, not to actually and unnecessarily physically assault me Kizra ground her teeth and straightened, her sharp as they glared at the woman across from her, but the thoughts that swam through her mind remained firmly there, though she had to fight to prevent herself from saying them aloud.  I need no reminder.

Kizra inhaled deeply and let it out slowly.  She didn’t want to get into an argument, but she had to deal with other things, and this was taking time out of her work. “I don’t need the reminder.”  Turning, she made a vague motion, indicating they should move on.  “The Security Centre you said?” Kizra assumed that meant the second part of the tests would involve phasers.  Cleaning them, putting them together, and shooting with them.  She just hoped Zark didn’t try to shoot her too!

Lieutenant Zark looked hard into the multi colored eyes and the hardness stared back at her.  The security officer didn’t know the evaluee at this point to determine whether the defiance would be outright refusal to learn.  The next words that seemed to come through metaphorical ground teeth were close enough to what she wanted to hear, so Zark took them at face value and nodded her acceptance.   "Very well.  Go get changed and I’ll meet you outside."

Reply #4

Kizra honestly wasn’t sure she wanted to continue working with Zark.  The woman had proven volatile and while she wasn’t going to argue the manner, the slaps across her face had been completely unnecessary.  With their current situation, it was obvious she was in no real danger and she was simply there to reassure the higher ups that she had retained the skills and knowledge necessary to defend herself should that need occur.  But while she had, it hadn’t manifested itself as of yet, hopefully never would, and Zark’s behaviour was really out of line.

But Kizra knew she had to do it and once she was past the point of no return, Zark would have to le ther go and she could get back to her lab and return to that which was far more interesting and relevant - science.  That was where her strength lay, and obviously that was where Zark had none.  She could out science the Andorian in a heartbeat.

First she had to survive the assessment.

At least the next one required less physical contact than the first.  Phasers were fairly simple devices.  She would have to take one apart, clean it, put it back together, shoot it, and do so with a high enough accurance that further training would not be required. 

They had started in the gym, but, after changing, they left that area behind.  Next up was the security centre, a trek that was done in silence.  There was really nothing to say, and Zark was an unknown entity.  Usually that would spur a series of questions and inquiries, but Kizra was still ticked off about the slaps and refused to engage any further other than she absolutely had to.  As soon as they arrived, she turned to her Andorian escort.

“All right, phaser handling next?”  Or whatever it was called.  Weaponry?  Phaser training?  She knew what she had to do and how to do it and simply wanted to get it over with. 

Taking them apart and putting them back together wouldn’t be difficult, especially with just the types I and II.  Shooting…she wasn’t the best, but she wasn’t the worst.  She was passible, Kizra knew that much at least.  “Break down, put together first, then accuracy?”  She inquired as her gaze roamed around the centre. 

Reply #5
[Lt (JG) XamotZark zh’Ptrell (Lt. Zark) | Armoury | Security Centre | Deck 7 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]

The trip to the Security Centre was made in silence after Zark had changed back into her uniform and put her bags over her shoulder.  She kept her expression carefully neutral as the two made their way through the corridors.  Zark figured Ensign Tos didn't like being slapped in the face more than she thought, but the medic still stood by the idea that some stinging was a much better alternative to being stabbed or bludgeoned.  On the other hand, it didn't hurt to be curteious and friendly, so the Andorian decided she'd give the coffee cup tour anyway.  Upon reaching the Centre, Lt. Zark had waved and smiled at the crewman manning the front desk.  The crewman offered a smiled and a nod, the noticed Kizra and his head tracked her momentarily before going back to working on the desk terminal.  "Well Ensign Tos, welcome to Security.  That cheery fellow at the front is Petty Officer Todd. He's the duty NCO for the day, and is pretty much helps visitors to the Security Centre." The Andorian guided the scientist in a twisty maze around the nerve centre.  "That oval bit we just passed is the main monitoring section for both the ship and anything else we want to keep an eye on. Last time I was in there was when our current Chief Diplomat was at an opera event and got kidnapped." Walking through another set of doors, showed rows of small lockers.  "This is the evidence locker.  Thankfully we don't have to use this much, but there was a lot of items when the Spearhead lounge was bombed." The last words were delivered tonelessly though the antennae plastered themselves against Zark's head in a visual display of rage.  The offended antennae resumed their normal position after passing through another set of doors.  "Here's where we keep the exosuits.  Pretty much the heavy armour that security uses.  There's also sets of tactical vests as well."  Turning to the left and left again through a final set of doors brought the two to their destination.  "And here we are.  The armoury."

Dropping her bags near the doors, Lt. Zark waved at the work table.  "Go ahead and drop your bags nearby."  When Kizra asked her question, the Andorian nodded since it was close enough to what they were doing.  "Officially it's Phaser Proficiency Testing, but you've summed it up."  The Lieutenant went to various lockers and began punching in codes to retrieve the various testing items, a Type 1 Phaser, colloquially known as a 'cricket', the familiar curved handle Type 2, and a much larger Type 3 Rifle.  Placing the Type 2 and 3 off to the side, the medic held on to the Type 1 and began her briefing like she'd done so many times before as she stood beside the Trill.  "We'll start with the Type 1." The combat medic narrated as she popped the back of the cricket phaser splitting the casing in half revealing the internal circuitry of the device.  Through long practice, and mindful of the review, Zark gently pulled the emitter crystal, prefire chamber, control circuitry, power cell, and recharge coil apart before laying them neatly in a line across the table. "When reassembling the parts, everything should just snap into place.  If something doesn't fit, it's being reassembled wrong."  Zark reversed the process and the sound of circuitry clicking into place with metronome precision that came with years of long practice brought the phaser back together.  "We'll power up the phaser after to make sure it works" and blue fingers began pressing the beam intensity button causing the power lights to increase to red and with long practice again, she brought the weapon to max setting before cycling it down to green. "And of course we'll need to test it.  Computer, test target to my front."  A green wire framed circle appeared and the medic pointed the weapon at the target and depressed the trigger.  The thin orange beam lanced out striking the target dead centre.  The medic ignored the result since and laid the device in front of the Trill.

"Alright Ensign, your turn.  Just to be clear here, I'm not looking for speed, just that you can do it.  If you have any questions, just ask."  With a small smile, Zark waved at the various small arms.  "You may begin."

Reply #6

First, she received a beating.  Now they had moved on to something else - weapons.  As long as the Andorian kept her hands to herself, Kizra would likely be all right.  While no sharpshooter, she was passable, and that was the entire point of the exercise - to make sure she was passable.  The crewman didn’t seem to mind Zark at all, he even smiled at her.  Probably because he’d never been slapped in the face by her.  And he watched her.  Why did he watch her?  It wasn’t like she was particularly interesting - she was just another officer.  At the introduction, Kizra paid a little more attention to him and nodded, but he had already turned to look down at his desk.

And so it went.  She was given a tour of the area, of what it contained, and of various events that had occurred necessitating the specific use of the area.  A kidnapping.  A bombing.  Oh that second one hadn’t settled well on the Andorian, not from the way she reacted.  The face gave away nothing, it was the antennae that gave evidence as to her emotions.  While not an expert on Andorians, Kizra knew enough to recognise that.

But finally, they made it to the armoury.  That was their intended destination after all and she was glad for it.  The sooner they did what was necessary, the sooner it would all be over, the sooner she could get back to the science labs.  And while Kizra hadn’t necessarily gotten the title of the assessment properly, she’d hit the mark on what she was to do and in what order.  Putting her bag where Zark indicated, she listened to the instructions carefully. No way did she want to have to come back and do it again. 

A minute later, everything lay out in front of her, the parts of the phaser, internal and external, spread before her.  She had to put it all together and make sure it worked properly.  Zark demonstrated, tested, and it was perfect.  And now it was her turn.

Slender fingers grasped the phaser in her hand.  Type I, simple enough, even if she wasn’t a security officer or engineer.  Quickly, she triggered the part that separated the casing and carefully picked out the parts from within.  The emitter crystal was first, a rather pretty little thing, but deadly when combined properly with other components.  The chamber, circuitry, the cell, all the pieces that had come out before were removed once more and set in front of the Andorian.  And then she did the reverse.

Kizra was not nearly as quick as Zark, but she was detailed and thorough.  Once everything was back into place, she turned on the phaser and the lights went up to red, then she brought them back down to green, just as the other woman had done before her.

“Computer, repeat test target.”  And there it was, appearing as it had before and with a smooth motion, Kizra extended the target.  Unlike Zark, she hesitated before she fired, assuring herself of her aim.  Alas, her own mark was off to the left, but at least she hit it.  Turning off the phaser, she then set it down on the table for Zark to take.

“I assume that was satisfactory?”  Moving forward, get this over with, and get it done.  That was her goal for the remainder of the session.  Satisfactory.  Move on.  Game over.   Her eyes skipped over to some of the other phasers, the type II which had been mentioned by Zark before.  “Shall we move on?”

Reply #7
[Lt (JG) XamotZark zh’Ptrell (Lt. Zark) | Armoury | Security Centre | Deck 7 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]

Lieutenant Zark nodded along as Ensign Tos methodically worked her way through the disassembly.  It wasn't quick, but it was precise, maybe a bit more precise than was strictly necessary, but that spoke volumes about the scientist's temperament. There was a sense of grace, an sense of art from watching something done well.  The Andorian smiled at the back of the Trill's head.  Definitely better than the last time she had to watch someone put a phaser back together.  The security officer nodded once more as she noted the telltales of a powered phaser and made the check on her PADD as the steps were completed.  It was over quickly enough and Zark watched as the Ensign summoned the target and there was the briefest hesitation, not enough to really affect the outcome as the tanned hand depressed the trigger and an orange beam lanced out.  The combat medic mentally adjusted her the performance standard as the shot went to the 9 o'clock position on the target.  This caused her to frown since the target was so close from her perspective.  It amounted to maybe a glancing hit that had the potential to let the opponent stay up.  Blue fingers quickly made an annotation of this as something to keep an eye on.

Lieutenant Zark laid the PADD down.  "That was well done Kizra, we'll call a warm up shot on the test target since it doesn't count for anything, now the Type 2 and 3.  These ones may get a bit sticky, but that's because the tolerances right out of the replicators are usually on the very tight side.  That's what regulations require, so that's how they come out." The Security Officer shrugged at her lack of control over these things. "I'll help you out a bit." and Zark pulled a tool of the table and popped the case apart on the easily identifiable Type II.  Personally Zark was glad she was authorized the carry the pulse phaser pistol.  The ergonomics were so much better.  Once again through long practice, off came curved power cell, then the muzzle at the front that housed the emitter crystal, then all the remaining circuitry.  Just like before, all the components were laid out in a organized space.  The Andorian added a bit of flourish by pointing both hands palm up as if presenting the parts to the Trill on a dish.  Since the Zhen was sure the Trill was still mad, this was more for her own amusement.  With that, Lieutenant Zark reassembled everything and went through the same motions of power up and testing.

"I think you have the mental and muscle memory for both types, so I'll just take apart the rifle and we'll keep going."  The disassembly of the rifle only took slightly more time due to the bulk of the weapon compared to the smaller Type 2.  Going through mostly the same motions of dropping out the power cell, removing the aiming sight, popping the casing off, separating crystal, and circuitry.  Putting the rifle back together, again with practiced ease, Zark pulled back the power cell plate and let it spring forward.  She fired the rifle and several bolts of orange that thumped into the target.  The Andorian didn't place the rifle down right away, instead placing the butt on the table and holding onto the vertical rifle like a pole.  "Go ahead." and she nodded at the Type 2.  Zark wanted to make sure that Kizra really had the attention to detail, so when it seemed that the scientist was subsumed in the work, Zark's hand subtly locked the safety in place, effectively preventing the weapon from being able to fire, and she waited for Kizra to finish her work before handing her the rifle.

Re: Day 17 [0900 hrs.] Assessing The Newbie

Reply #8
[ Ensign Kizra Tos| Upper Gymnasium | Deck 06 | USS Theurgy ] @RyeTanker

The time had come to move on to the second portion of the weapons test. She’d gotten through the first, with the type I phaser, but she wasn’t limited to just that.  Had she been, Kizra could have made her way back to her lab and resumed her work.  No, there was more in store for her under the direction and critical gaze of the Andorian, a woman who was far more suited to weaponry than the scientist under her scrutiny.  But Kizra wasn’t completely hopeless.  She’d been taught how to handle them, even if she couldn't do so to the same proficiency as Zark.  It was enough to pass.  That was all that mattered. 

Because her job wasn’t to handle weapons.  As the Andorian had stated, that was her job, not Kizra’s.  Kizra’s focus was for other matters.  Seeking answers to questions, finding solutions.  At times, she might even collaborate with the medical department as they sought out treatments and cures.  Well, most likely she wouldn’t, there would be other scientists whose specialities lent themselves more to that sort of teamwork, but of the many things she had been taught in the Academy, flexibility was also one of them. 

So she could take apart a type I phaser.  She could also take apart a type II.  They were quite similar, and the differences were minimal enough that it was mostly outward.  Inside, it contained the same components, though a little more powerful than the other.  As before, Kizra’s attempt was much slower than Zark’s, but she was meticulous and careful. 

As before, once she took it apart and put it back together, the target was called up and once again, Kizra shot it.  Though she lacked the fluidity and instant confidence Zark possessed, she nonetheless hit her mark, if not with the same level of accuracy as the security officer. What was to be expected?  She was a science officer.  Her specialty was dissecting information and piecing together puzzles, not phasers.

Once the target had been fired upon and hit, Kizra was certain to deactivate the phaser, then set it down on the table.  “Type III next?”

There were far more than that.  Rifles, different weapons with specific ranges and power outputs, used for specific situations.  Kizra didn’t know all those details and she honestly had little use for such information.  That was security’s job, not hers. Oh she could talk about the chemical composition of the casing, the emitters, how the power was generated and why it caused the damage it did, but that was unnecessary.  “Shouldn’t be too difficult.”

That tool came in handy.  Zark had been correct that the casings were tight, and the type III proved to be a little more stubborn than even the II.  Eventually, however, Kizra pried it open and, for the third time, went through the entire sequence.  Apart.  Together.  Shoot.  Was there an increase in speed?  If so, she didn’t care.  She cared more about doing it right than she did about doing it fast - she wanted to give no room for error.  As for the mark - well, she didn’t miss.  That had to count for something. 

“Three.”  Kizra stated as she set the phaser down.  Her third shot, and she was done, right?  “And I suppose this brings us to the end of the assessment?”

Reply #9

Lieutenant Zark nodded as Ensign Tos' attention to details essentially bypassed the lock on the Type III.  More than one person that the Security Officer had tested had failed to notice the switch, and the result was they usually couldn't fire the weapon and wondered what was going on.  This did impress the Andorian, but raised a suspicion in how Ensign Tos operated and her ability to handle things well under her control.   Maybe it was the scientist in her that had a methodical way of doing things, and this translated into how she handled everything.  It thus remained to be seen how she handled the chaos of combat.  Lt. Zark tapped her lips for a second nodding to herself on what to do next.  She smiled.  "Almost.  There's a couple more tests. Come on, grab the guns and lets go to the range."

The Andorian grabbed the rifle for the Trill and led her to the holo range nearby.  Setting up the targets in the simulator, mainly floating holographic circles, Lt. Zark demonstrated the known distance shooting.  "The range test is one of the last tests we have.  Most fighting aboard the ship doesn't happen beyond 25m or so, but if you go on away missions, you could be fighting around 100m or more."  Zark hit a few buttons as she talked and brought up a holo program.  "To be honest, that's not really expected either since most of the scientists and medical staff get jumped at close range by enemy combatants, so mainly 25m still applies." Zark went to a red line on the range floor and brought the rifle to her shoulder. "You've done well testing the weapons, so the only additional bit of instruction I have is when you're looking through the site of a Type III, don't try to second guess the computer.  There is a target cross with a dot in the middle.  The sensor will do all the calculations for you.  When you want to shoot at something, just point it at the target for a second and a red dot will show on the sight where to aim.  Move the green dot over the red dot and pull the trigger.  That's mainly for distance shooting, but it's good to know in case you are fighting from long distances."  Zark pulled the trigger and watched as orange bolts began passing through the centre of the target she was aiming at.  A dozen shots produced a doze bullseye according to the computer. "Now you go."

Lieutenant Zark stepped back from Kizra and went to the control panel.  When Kizra was occupied shooting, Zark initiated the holo program and waited.  It was after she'd completed the Type II test that the range shut down suddenly and a loud blaring of the Intruder Alert rang out.  "Warning Klingon Intruders on Decks 2, 7, 16, and 25..."   Any curse Zark could have produced was drowned out by the whining of disruptor fire and screams just outside.  "Tos, come on."   The medico shouldered the rifle and proceeded outside into the exosuit locker.  The Andorian got a vision of a Klingon shooting a security man as another one cut down on another with bat'leth.  Zark ended their rampage by shooting both in a hail of orange fire.  Not checking to see if Kizra was actually with her, Zark advanced through the evidence room and shot a couple more Klingon's.  Whatever sixth sense she had on hostiles, it kicked in as she exited the evidence room and she ducked a batl'leth that slammed into the door.  Zark screamed war cry as she grabbed the bat'leth and kicked the intruder in the gut.  This bough her precious little time as she jumped in the air and spun to crunch the heel of her combat boot into the Klingon's neck and causing him to fall back with his head hanging at an odd angle.  Turning around, she took a running jump that saw her wrap her legs around the neck of another assailant and toss him to the ground.  A quick flick on her boot caused a knife to pop out that the Andorian swiftly used to stab the assailant in the neck.  Just as quickly, the knife disappeared into her trouser pocket.

Looking up and around, the medico signalled the scientist to follow her around the Security Monitoring Centre.  Breathing hard, the Andorian rounded the oval room and spotted a pair of Klingons coming around.  Both sides were startled, though the Andorian was quick enough to shoot the first one.  The one behind used his fallen comrade as a shield and pushed the body into the Andorian who yelped as the massive weight slammed into her and knocked her to the ground.  Lieutenant Zark frantically scrambled to get out from under the body and managed to just push it off in time to see a bat'leth plunge straight down and she screamed in animal pain and fury as the long blade went straight through her abdomen and sprayed blue blood in a fountain.  The victorious Klingon laughed at his triumph as he used the blade to pick up his vanquished foe to gloat as he brought the ugly blue being closer to him. "You fought well, but in vain for House Mo'Kai will be victorious!" The Andorian knew she was finished as her life essence drained pooled below her and she quietly cried out as the Klingon let her slide down the blade.  The ruin of a woman though refused to give up, and with blood leaking from her mouth, she smiled as she mustered what was left of her strength and reached into her pocket to pull out the knife and drove it into the Klingon's neck before spitting on his face.

The now dying Klingon dropped the blade and Lt.Zark groaned out as she was dropped and collapsed against a wall.  Staggering back a step, the intruder raised an arm to remove the blade from his neck, but  just fell back and expired.  Zark's body and hair were a complete mess. Looking over at Kizra, she beckoned over weakly to pass on final instructions.  "Oh Kizra.  I'm so sorry." The dying Andorian apologized, then coughed out a large globule of blue blood that splattered on her tunic as it dribbled down her chin.  "I'm dead.  Get out of here.  Go to deck 5 or deck 12 and transport to the surface."  Lieutenant Zark gave a rictus smiled at the Kizra once more in an attempt to give her confidence to go before the light left her eyes and her head dropped as her soul departed to join the spirits.

Reply #10

OOC: Please note, Zark has started a simulation, and therefore, any crew members referred to beyond Kizra (in this case, Thea) are not the REAL crew members, but holographic versions of them.  Technically, I know Thea has a holographic body, but let’s not go down that rabbit hole, shall we?

[Ensign Kizra Tos | Armoury | Security Centre | Deck 7 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy] @RyeTanker

She’d done what she was told.  Take phasers apart.  Put phasers together.  Aim and shoot target.  In Kizra’s mind, she was done - and she was more than ready to be finished with the exercise. Her head was clear when it came to acting in such a capacity.  If she had met those requirements, then she should be free to go, right?

Evidently not.  Why were they not finished?  Wasn’t the assessment over.  She’d managed to According to Zark, the answer was no, for she indicated what she’d done thus far was only a ‘warm up’.  Why?  She’d taken them apart and put them back together.  She’d shot the last, though why the safety had been on in the middle of the assessment when they were actively using the weapons, she didn’t know.  What tests did she have to go through now? And why?  Why were they going to the range?

Kizra managed to hold back the sigh she wanted to heave and simply nodded, then ‘grabbed the guns’ as Zark put it.  They didn’t have to go far for the range, and once there, Zark set up more targets - but this time, they were moving.  Ah, moving targets, and distance shooting.  Kizra knew there might be times when that was necessary, but she really felt like this was beyond the basics, especially since, as Zark said, most of the time short range engagement was most likely.  She went through a mini lecture about targeting, and then it was time to actually engage, though the Andorian showed off by hitting a bullseye.  Multiple times.  Kizra didn’t wait, didn’t even bother to comment, she just fulfilled her requirement and began shooting. 

And then it happened.  Everything shifted and changed, and suddenly the targets were no more.  An alarm assaulted her ears and she winced at the volume, then jerked around to stare at Zark just as the computer cried out about Klingon intruders on several decks.  “What the…”  Wait…Klingons?  Decks?  On the Theurgy?  But why?

She was interrupted by the sound of fire and Zark giving her a command.  "Tos, come on."   Rifle in her arms, Zark made her way out and Kizra gritted her teeth, then followed. They were in orbit around Kronos, but as far as Kizra knew, there was a truce between them.  Or an alliance.  Or both?  So what had happened to change that?  And if she beamed down to the surface, how would she be any safer if the Klingons had decided to turn against them? 

Red surrounded them, bathing everything in a bloody haze, and the alarms urged them to find a way out of the danger that was coming.  Kizra followed, and what happened next was a blur of motion. One Klingon shot one officer while a second sliced someone else in half.  The Anorian took care of those.  Dumbly, Kizra followed, her fingers clenched tightly around her phaser, knuckles white.  More Klingons appeared, and Zark took care of them all, leading the way and keeping it clear for the scientist behind her.  They made good progress - until they didn’t.

As skilled as Zark was, there was only so much one could do when there were so many against one.  Pinned down by one Klingon, she was impaled by a bat’leth from another.  "You fought well, but in vain for House Mo'Kai will be victorious!" But the man himself had little to say as Zark wrenched a knife from somewhere and slammed it into his neck.  Collapsing against the wall, Kizra managed to somehow move again, realising all she had witnessed and she had merely stood by and watched. 

"Oh Kizra.  I'm so sorry." She coughed and blood expelled, splattering over her face and tunic.  "I'm dead.  Get out of here.  Go to deck 5 or deck 12 and transport to the surface." 

“Uh…wait…no!”  But it was too late.  The woman slumped and Kizra was left with only corpses for company.  Gingerly, she reached out, but the woman was gone.  Jumping to her feet, Kizra whirled around and set out at a dead run down the hallway, then skidded to a stop.  A Klingon came from around the corner, turned to lay his eyes upon her, then grinned.  Immediately, Kizra aimed and fired. 

She got him in the shoulder and the creature roared and stumbled, but did not fall.  He straightened and began to run toward her, his feet pounding a threatening rhythm against the floor.  WIthout thinking, Kizra let go of another shot, then another in rapid succession, and the Klingon finally went down.  She didn’t bother to check to see if he was alive - there was no time and she was now in enemy territory.  Gasping softly, she darted forward, then skidded to a stop.  Dropping down, Kizra dug her fingers into the fine edges of a plate and yanked the panel of an access port that led into the Jeffries tubes.  Three quick, decisive tugs removed the barrier and she scrambled in, then pulled the plate back over, covering her escape route. 

Her chest heaved and the air bit in her lungs as it raced in and out of her body.  Without allowing herself a chance to catch her breath, she began to crawl through the tubes, trying to control her breathing and her heart beating against her chest. 

“Thea!”  The name came out in a gasp of air, but she didn’t even take the chance to slow down, instead worked her way toward a junction so she could head down toward deck 5.  “Thea, report.  What decks are compromised now?  Can you erect force fields in the sections to contain the Klingons?

She glanced behind her, but thus far, all was clear.  Would it stay that way?  How long until they had access to the internal sensors?  Would the captain start the self-destruct sequence?  Surely they wouldn’t give up so quickly or so easily!  There had to be something that could be done!  “There’s got to be some way to stop them.”

Reply #11
[[Thea? | Jefferies Tubes Security Centre | Deck 7 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]      Attn: @Elyria

Thea's disemobied voice rang out over Kizra's combadge.  "The situation is serious Ensign Tos.  There are boarding parties near the Flag Bridge, Security, The Fighter Assault bay, and Main Engineering.  At present, the boarders have taken control of Security. They will soon have control of The Fighter Assault Bay and Main Engineering."  The ship shook violently and the lighting flickered for a moment before coming back up.  "A House Mo'Kai fleet has dropped out of warp and are engaging the local infrastructure around Qo'nos.  Local defence forces are attempting to respond, but are being overwhelmed."  Another series of hits rocked the ship and an explosion could clearly be heard nearby.  "The Vector 1 Warp Core has gone offline. Klingon shuttles are currently landing in the main shuttle bay and additional Klingons are beaming in to various parts of the ship.  The main bridge and sickbay are now under attack....."  The lights suddenly went out, cutting off Thea's narration of the disaster that was rolling over the ship.  There was a heart stopping moment in the darkness where there was no sensation except the sound of fighting and explosions.  Red emergency lights soon came on and bathed the Jeffereies Tube in a bloody glow.

[Doh'eq dinn | Armoury | Security Centre | Deck 7 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]

Doh'eq smiled as he pulled his bloody mek'leth from a human's head and mockingly kicked the body over. With his disruptor pistol in one hand, he proceeded deeper into the area that was supposed to keep the pesky Starfleeters safe.  Hah!  He thought to himself derisively as he walked further in.  Another Starfleet rounded the corner and the Klingon shot the man in the chest, sending him crashing in heap on a dead Andorian and several other Klingons.  Hrnnn.  It seems like this one had real warrior spirit.  Good that their champion is dead.  Walking carefully down the hallway, his head turned another branching corridor and the warrior sneered at a fallen warrior with no enemies nearby.  Looking about, Doh'eq wondered what had gotten the clumsy petaq. 

His eyes looked about in the red glow and soon narrowed at a wall.  Sniffing the air, he smelled something.  Not Klingon.  Walking over, he tapped the hilt of his blade against the wall.  The wall sounded pretty solid, another tap.  That one was solid too.  Looking at the next wall, there was a strange yet familiar shape on it.  He tapped that one and the sound that came back seemed to be hollow and echo.  Smiling at his discovery, the warriors put his weapons down and began feeling the panel.  His fingers were big, but eventually found the right purchase and he pulled.  The panel came off in one go and the warrior smiled again.  So, there's vermin in the walls.  Sniffing the air like a Terran Canine, Doh'eq launched himself into the narrow crawl way in search of his prey.

Reply #12
[ Ensign Kizra Tos| Upper Gymnasium | Deck 06 | USS Theurgy ] @RyeTanker

It was an invasion.  An invasion of the Theurgy.  From the Klingons!  Kizra had thought they had an alliance, but all of a sudden, there they were, attacking, boarding, taking control of the entire ship.  And where was she?  Stuck in the bowels of the ship, crawling around in the hopes that she can get somewhere and do something.

Do what?  Kizra wasn’t sure.  It was here against who knew how many klingons, but surely she wasn’t alone.  There had to be others that were able to escape - and if so, where would they go?  If they went to the escape pods, they’d likely get shot out of space in the attempt to flee to safety, so Kizra saw no sense in doing so.  Her best hope was to get to Engineering.  If she could gain access to the ship, she could hopefully manually gain control of various areas.  Perhaps she could connect with other officers, get Thea back on line.  Do something.  Anything.

But which Engineering?  Main engineering was likely crawling with Klingons, and it wouldn’t be the best place to try and get access to anything.  Auxiliary engineering, however, would be less likely to have anyone in there, and maybe she could use it to gain the advantage - and it was a lost closer, on the same level as she was currently on.

With a plan in mind, Kizra shifted gears, reoriented herself, then took a right at the fork.  She wouldn’t have far to go before she took another turn, then another.  A few more turns later, she found herself outside the panel to one of Thea’s auxiliary engineering rooms. Before trying to get out, she went quiet and listened.  While the auxiliary was just that, an auxiliary, and thus less likely to be occupied,she didn’t want to take the chance that she just waltzed right into the hands of the Klingons.  Hearing nothing, she thrust open the panel, then crawled out. 

She found herself flanked by consoles and relays.  Behind her, doors to a turbolift remained shut and thus far, the only one in there besides her was the ship.  Scrambling over to the master systems control, Kizra began to tap away, hoping she wasn’t too late. 

Reply #13
[Doh'eq dinn | Jefferies Tubes | Deck 7 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]   Attn: @Elyria

The Klingon was a like a Terran hound, his eyes joined his nose in following the curious scent left by the disgusting humanoid female that had bested the warrior behind him.  While the access ways were narrow, he would focus his much smaller eyes ahead.  His large nostrils pulsed with each inhale as his brain processed to feed the hunters instinct.  The smell was vile as he followed it and looked upwards at a junction. It smelled of the engine room, but it too chemical, too clean.  Still, he followed the scent.  He crawled, and crawled, determined to catch the one that was giving him so much grief in the tight confined area.  There was a fork in the tubes and he looked at both, then dove in.  He kept going, passed deuterium tanks, and other assorted machinery as fast as his limbs would carry him.

He was rewarded with light at the end of the tunnel since there was an opening.  In a blood lust, Doh'eq dove out and pointed his disruptor around.  No one shot at him and his smile turned feral and toothy.  The scent was much stronger now and he followed it.  He was a warrior and didn't always go blindly charging around the corners, but eventually the concentration was high enough that it caused him to slow down and deaden the sounds his feet made. Peeking around a relay, he spotted his quarry.  A loathsome slip of a thing with spots, he was hoping for something like the dead blue one earlier.  Something with fire.  Doh'eq was arrogant, but not totally stupid though as he holstered his disruptor and suddenly charged out.  He tackled the Trill into the console and threw her on the ground where she rolled to a stop against a wall.  Laughing in amusement at his own superiority, he menacingly walked to the smaller woman and picked her up by her neck with the intent to slowly squeeze the life out of her.

[Meanwhile elsewhere]

"Sir, was that really necessary?  She's a scientist after all and this is way outside her skill set."

"She's got brains and fire despite the lab coat.  She's trying to retake the ship even though the dead me said to get the hell out.  No Prince, there's a warrior's heart in there and someone who refuses to give up.  Part of what we do is to see where the limits are for the crew, and hers are pretty high.  If she can get herself out of this one, and there is a way out, you can send in a security team to 'rescue' her.  Make the team leader a Junior Lieutenant and set them to get her to the transporter anyway."

CPO Prince looked dubious but acknowledged the order.

Reply #14
She didn’t hear the Klingon until he shouted as he barreled into the room and slammed her against the console before he knocked her to the ground.  She made contact with a wall, then struggled to her feet, her head swimming.  Hands circled her neck and weight settled against her throat, pain shooting into her jaw as the man lifted her off the ground. She struggled against the grip, her own hands coming up to claw at those that clutched at her so tightly, her air acutely cut off, her mouth clenched shut at the force and her eyes squeezed into slits as she tried to stare down at the Klingon. 

Think.  She had to think!  Her natural reaction was to continue to rake her nails against the man’s skin, but natural reactions weren’t always the best ones.  She had to keep her wits if she wanted to get out of this alive.  She struggled to breath, her mouth trying to open, but the force of his hold and the weight of her body not allowing such luxury.  Pain seared through her neck and she could hear something pop in her back.  Lights flashed before her eyes, dancing in the shadows of unconscious that dangled just out of reach, but was encroaching and would soon take over .

Some how, some way, Kizra managed to force her feet up and lashed out, kicking at the Klingon in the face, the flat soles striking toward the flesh.  They made contact, and while she doubted she did more than maybe break his nose, it accomplished her goal - he was shocked enough to let go. 

Kizra tumbled back to the ground, but she couldn’t let the relief distract her.  Reaching for the phaser, she lifted it, aimed, and fired in one single, smooth motion. 

Reply #15
[Lieutenant JG Simon Walters | Vector 2 Engineering | Deck 6 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]   Attn: @Elyria

The sandy haired security officer led his team and his charges down towards the auxiliary engineering room for Vector 2.  A science type with a tricorder had led him here with the reports of a lone Trill in the room, and they'd detoured to get him or her out.  Leaving one guard to watch each side of the corridor, Walters opened the door and opened it, and pointed his phaser rifle down the open access way.  Seeing no Klingons, he carefully stepped in, and kept a tactical walk going the entire way as she searched for the life sign. It didn't take him too long, and he snorted at the sight of a Trill holding a phaser with a Klingon splayed out in front of her.  "Damn, you really got him." Walters commented to himself as he approached her.  Offering his hand to help the spotted woman to her feet, he did a quick scan of the area and saw there were no more hostiles.  "I know nobody wants to hear this, but we've got to go.  We've got people outside and..."

"Warning, Auto-Destruct has been engaged.  Five minute silent count down. There will be no further warnings."

"Crap, that's not good. Come on, the transporter rooms are just one deck up."  With that, the security officer headed back outside and waved everyone in.  "We're going to take the jefferies tubes up to deck 5 vector 1.  We'll all head to Transporter Room 1, got it?"  Heads nodded all around. "Okay, let's go"  With that, a crewman in command red went head first into the hatch, while the others followed.

Reply #16
[ Ensign Kizra Tos| Upper Gymnasium/Holographic (Vector 2 Engineering | Deck 6 | Vector 02 ) | Deck 06 | USS Theurgy ] @RyeTanker

She got him. 

The klingon had thunked to the floor after the phaser fired.  There he lay, the burn mark upon the broad chest, thin tendrils of smoke spiralling upward before fading into nothingness.  Her breath came in heavy gasps, as if her body was trying to make up for the seconds that it lacked and his fingers clutched around her neck.  She remained where she was, frozen, arm extended, that phaser still pointed at the man.  Was he dead?  He had to be dead.  It was a direct shot…he had to be dead.

Perhaps it took a moment for that message to get to her hand, but it finally received it and lowered to drop into her lap, though her fingers remained secure around the hilt, just in case.  Her heart, however, took much longer to receive the information, for it pounded desperately against her chest.  Closing her eyes, Kizra closed her eyes and attempted to take several deep breaths, finally succeeding on her third try. That led to another.  Then another.  Eventually, she managed to gain a little more control over herself. 

"Damn, you really got him."

The phaser was up in an instant, that time points at the voice, but when she saw that it was not a Klingon, it dropped immediately and she inhaled against.  The man approached and extended a hand to help her up.  She accepted it, and was grateful, for her legs shook even as she stood, and when he released her, Kizra took the assistance of the wall behind her. 

"I know nobody wants to hear this, but we've got to go.  We've got people outside and..."

"Warning, Auto-Destruct has been engaged.  Five minute silent count down. There will be no further warnings."

Thea’s voice lacked the warmth it had when Kizra had originally met the hologram.  Disembodied, and cold, it hammered in the desperation of their situation. 

"Crap, that's not good. Come on, the transporter rooms are just one deck up." 

He stepped outside and Kizra gulped, then straightened and stumbled after him.  Slowly, her legs were regaining more stability, but her hands still trembled.  The phaser remained in her grasp. 

"We're going to take the jefferies tubes up to deck 5 vector 1.  We'll all head to Transporter Room 1, got it?"  Those with him nodded in agreement.  "Okay, let's go" 

She didn’t want to go.  Couldn’t something be done?  But the ship was on self destruct, which meant someone with a much higher access code had set it into motion.  Where was the captain?  The first officer?  Kizra called to the other officers, half in and half out of the hatch.

“Wait!” 

Was it fruitless?  Could she do anything to really stem the tide?  She hated not trying.  The hand that held the phaser motioned back to the room. “If we can erect section by section forcefields, we can isolate the Klingons currently on the ship.  Raising shields will prevent more from teleporting on.  Then we can take back the ship!”

Maybe it was a stupid idea, but Kizra hated the idea of just giving up when there was a chance, even a small one. 

Reply #17
[Lieutenant JG Simon Walters | Vector 2 Engineering | Deck 6 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]   Attn: @Elyria

[Elsewhere]

"So what do you think she's going to do sir?"  Price asked the officer standing beside her.  The Andorian shrugged. "That's up to her Chief, but given the information she has, she should evacuate with everyone else.  Unless she's stubborn to the point of obstinate and insubordinate.  At that point, it's going to be a very interesting chat, especially since she's going to have to defend her stubbornness in the face of what amounts to a suicide.  Good thing scientists generally like to argue, because this is going to be interesting."

[Back in the simulation]

Walters looked at Kizra like she'd grown a second head before shaking his head. "You heard the auto destruct.  At least two command level officers say it's over and we're to evacuate."  The sandy haired lieutenant shook his head. "I don't even know why you're trying to..."  He shook his head once more.  "We're going to transporter room one Ensign."  Walters repeated the rank with emphasis as he tried to keep the seething rage out of his voice.  "Move."  He didn't even look to see if she was following as he made his way down the Jeffereies tube, and quickly caught up with the Science type that had pointed out the crazy Trill's position first. 

It took most of the remaining time that he had to get to the transporter room as he kept crawling forward.  With all the noise the group was generating, he focused on moving forward till the distance between evacuees started to get shorter and shorter.  There was a clang of a panel falling and phaser fire ahead of him that spurred the security officer on that much more quickly.  "All clear, we've sealed the door."  Someone called up ahead as people began to file out and step on the transporter pad.  Someone in a gold shirt began working the transporter console.  "Stand by to transport.  Just stand where you are."  The operator pressed a last few buttons then set the cycle on automatic.  Within a few seconds, everyone's world disappeared in a slow flash of light.

Reply #18
[ Ensign Kizra Tos | Vector 2 Engineering (Holographic) | Deck 6 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy]   Attn: @Elyria

She didn't like to lose and everything warred in her stating that there had to be a solution.  It just hadn't been found yet, but then the security officer reminded her that everyone above her had given an order.  She reluctantly watched the Walters dive into the Jefferies Tube entrance.  Her nature to discover and find answers as a scientists warred with the training she'd received at the Academy.  Her mind quickly ran through the solutions, and in the end found none.  Putting one foot in front of the other, Kizra made her way into the hatch and followed everyone out.  Crawling along, she realized her reaction had to be intensely emotional.  She'd just woken up from stasis, and found that her only home was gone. Maybe all life.  These sullen thoughts carried her to the transporter room where she paused for a moment at the sound of phaser fire, then kept going when everyone else did.

When she stepped out into the Transporter room, there were a couple of Klingons with smoking holes in their chests, and she felt a combination of relief and sadness.  Relief that she was getting out, and sadness for the loss of home and defeat over all.  It was sad that her last view of the ship was a transporter room.  The lab would have been much nicer.  At least that's where she was the most comfortable.  With the signal for transport, Kizra unconsciously inhaled her final breath on the ship.

And blinked several times when she found herself on a holodeck.

She looked around in confusion and mentally cursed at how she'd been tricked by the Andorian.  Turning around, she saw the apparently alive Lieutenant Zark standing there with a large PADD in her arm and Kizra sat on her temper as she waited for final judgement. 

[Lt (JG) XamotZark zh’Ptrell (Lt. Zark) & Ensign Kizra Tos | Holodeck | Security Centre | Deck 7 | USS Theurgy]

Oof, she's mad.  Lieutenant Zark thought to herself as she watched Ensign Tos finish spinning about to get her bearings. When the Ensign spotted her and flashed a glare, Zark mentally sighed.  Well, can't win em all.

Zark smiled despite her internal thoughts. "Alright Ensign, you made it out and your evaluation is complete. You've passed, though I do have to warn you against trying for excess heroics in hopeless situations.  If you can get out and you've been ordered to do so, follow those orders."  The security officer DNA/thumb printed the final evaluation and passed the PADD to Ensign Tos to counter sign.

Kizra wanted to smack the PADD away at the lecture she'd just received. Good sense sort of prevailed as she pressed her own thumb on the device.  "You had no right to trick me like that!" She exclaimed instead.  "How could you inflict that sort of trauma on someone?  I thought you were dead!"

The medic's face turned to stone. "I still outrank you Ensign and you're still part of this ship's chain of command.  I did not give you permission to speak freely.  However, I will indulge you this one time.  This is the only time.  You've been officially warned about your behaviour." Lieutenant Zark stared daggers to match Ensign Tos' before she continued.  "Another Ensign asked the same question, and I will repeat the answer that I gave her.  The universe cares very little for your survival.  Even less for mine since I freely choose to go into danger and protect those who don't expect it.  Part of being in this life is the expectation of death.  We will do out best to mitigate that possibility, but it's not an certainty, and it's our job to prepare for it.  We send someone into harm's way all the time, even on routine scientific surveys, or when someone crawls into an EPS junction. It doesn't matter how Ensign, but death is around the corner at every step.  You got lucky once, you may not be so lucky next time.  You and I will certainly die at some point. Whether it's in battle, the environment, or of old age, only fate can tell. Don't ever forget that."

Kizra fumed at the tongue lashing she received.  She still felt it wasn't warranted, but there was a certain logic she couldn't really deny and she nodded minutely in acceptance.  Now she wanted to just leave and get back to her more important work. "Is that all? Can I go now?"

Lieutenant Zark rued that maybe she should have broken the scientists nose when they first met to get the point across, but didn't let that one out.  Life was about picking and choosing her battles, and attitude adjustment of the stubborn scientist was unproductive.  "Yes Ensign.  You're dismissed, and congratulations on finishing."

Ensign Kizra Tos quickly left though she did feel a bit of pride of having made it through the regimen.  Hopefully though, she wouldn't have to deal too much with the crazy Andorian Lieutenant in the future.  For now though, she really needed a shower and to find something less violent to engage her mind.

~FIN~

Simple Audio Video Embedder