Skip to main content
Topic: Regarding Transporters and Site-to-Site Transportation (Read 2882 times) previous topic - next topic

Regarding Transporters and Site-to-Site Transportation

Hi everyone! :)

Here is a question that came up on Discord, which should be posted here for reference and further discussion:

[18:14] Arista: You know with the fact that Thea site to site transports everyone everywhere, it's a wonder that we still have transporter operators about ;)
[18:15] Triage: Huh?
[18:15] Triage: Oh right...
[18:16] Auctor Lucan: When I get back I have an explanation for that
[20:00] Auctor Lucan: The reply: The outer hull of Thea incorporate a number of emitters for a transporter beam-out. The Ops personnel create a beam from the pad in the transporter room, which would then travel through a beam created from the hull. Before Thea, there wasn't a beam emitter that pointed towards the inside of the ship. A quote from a source online "In the mid 2260s, beaming from a transporter pad to a location within the same vessel was a very risky proposition. The limitations of the technology at that time made it highly probable that any error would result in the subject rematerializing within a bulkhead, deck, or other structure."
[20:01] Auctor Lucan: "By at least 2268, limitations in pattern buffer and targeting scanner technology had been sufficiently overcome that it was now possible to transport from one location directly to another without the need to re-materialize the subject in between. (TOS: "A Piece of the Action") In the 24th century, this operation was enabled and controlled by the site-to-site transport interlocks. (TNG: "Brothers"). Site-to-site transport holds the matter stream in the pattern buffer while the ACB was re-targeted. Afterward, the matter stream was redirected to the new location and normal re-materialization was carried out. This technique could only be utilized when sufficient energy was available to the transporters; all normal transporter limitations would still apply."
[20:02] Auctor Lucan: "The main operator can likewise send those in transport anywhere with ease. A possible explanation for this is put forward in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, where such site-to-site transports would probably use twice as much energy as would be required for transport to or from the transporter room itself, since the subject would have to be beamed to the transporter, stored, then shunted to their destination."
[20:07] Auctor Lucan: My addendum to this is a comparison
[20:08] Auctor Lucan: A transporter room is a fast food restaurant, where there is personnel and tech made available to transport personnel.
[20:08] Auctor Lucan: A site-to-site transport is making Thea cook for you.
[20:09] Auctor Lucan: With all the extra time, energy etc. that is required to get what you want.
[20:10] Auctor Lucan: Therefore, site-to-site transportation should be restricted use, whereas duty rotation movements via Transporter Rooms between the Vectors during Day 02 and onwards should be the main option.
[20:17] Auctor Lucan: Hope that makes sense
[20:33] kaligos: -shrugs- works for me
[20:49] Brutus: sounds good to me
[00:06] Striker N7: Most impressive
[00:09] CanadianVet: Indeed, sounds like a plan.

Hope this makes sense to everyone, but I welcome further discussion if so required. :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Simple Audio Video Embedder