Skip to main content
Topic: Award Poll: Suus Mahna Award 2021 (Read 3521 times) previous topic - next topic

Award Poll: Suus Mahna Award 2021

Awarded to the main contributing writers in an action scene that stands out way above the norm in terms of pace, thrill, scope and stakes.

The poll will run for 3 days, in which those who cast their vote should always take their time to read the linked scenes first. The award should be based on the award criteria and not because you personally like the nominee(s) overall. The nominee(s) who get the most votes will receive the Suus Mahna Award. If you are a Nominee, you may not vote on your own scene.

Here are the nominations, with more information on the nominated writers & threads, which has been complemented by private nominations of additional writers in nominated threads:

NOMINATION 01: SABINE CRASH SITE

Forum Name of Nominee: @Griff @RyeTanker @jreeves1701 & @Tae
Reason for Nomination: "The Sabine Crash site thread. To Quote Auctor from the message to all of us...   "What an achievement everyone! Imagine, in retrospect, visualising this great adventure that your characters went though. The scope of illustrating the fighting in the streets of the First City, and the rescue of the people holed up at the Sabine's crash site. Imagine the kind of CGI budget that would be required to put this adventure on the screen? The special effects ranging from buildings collapsing, the shuttle actions and combat?" Additionally: "It was just a damn fun thread that I had fun writing with my fellow participants. It was my first story objective, and it will always have a special place in my heart."
Motivation & Links:
Sabine Crash Site
"I was motivated to do this in part because I had fun with my fellow writers. I'm the sort of person that will always do what I can to show my gratitude. and the best way that I can do that here, is with this nomination. While it may not be much in the grand scheme of things, this is what I can do (other than continue to write with you all).  It was a wonderful experienced that helped me to grow and develop as a writer here over the months that this objective took to complete. I look forward to significantly more in the future."

NOMINATION 02: ALL OR NOTHING

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Stegro88, @Nero, @chXinya, @SaraKnight, @Ellen Fitz, @Brutus, @Nesota Kynnovan
Reason for Nomination: "Often when we do these big complex threads, they can be difficult to follow. They can meander, writers could leave, the action can be hard to follow, narrative momentum can stall, etc. I want to highlight a thread where all involved got it spot on and showed how to write such a thread with consistent quality and direction."
Motivation & Links:
All or Nothing
"It is perhaps a tad excessive to nominate seven writers for this thread, but I can't find it within me to narrow it down any further. The entire thread was top notch action mixed with some great characters, an overarching threat, political wrangling, Klingons being Klingons, and general Star Trek awesomesauce. SaraKnight and Ellen Fitz got dropped in at the deep end and both did an excellent job with their characters. The demise of Gorka and the Infested was very satisfying in particular. Each character had their moment to shine, making the entire thread thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish, and doing an excellent job of tying everything off. This reads like a group effort, and an excellent one at that. It's cooperative roleplaying in action."

NOMINATION 03: P.C: HARING, IN TRIAGE & TACTICS

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @P.C. Haring
Reason for Nomination: "Unique, intriguing, and wholly entertaining method for one character to save themselves, and another from death."
Motivation & Links:
Triage and Tactics
"Writer was still relatively new to the SIM at the time, and didn't waste any time jumping in and being creative.
Motivation & Links: The siege of sickbay was an excellent thread, which afforded a lot of writers, many new, to get their characters into the thick of battle in some unique and creative ways. What P.C. Haring did in his first post in this thread, and there were plenty others from him in it that were excellent, was establish a sense of freedom that I think spread to all the other writers involved. The descriptiveness of the manner in which Hathev manages to subdue and defeat a Klingon, feels like and reads like a method that Vulcan would employ. It was clever, unique, and in a sense rather funny to read. But it was still delivered in a serious way, that didn't detract, but instead enhanced the thread, which I think flourished from that point onward. Additionally, I think P.C. Haring deserves extra recognition for the fact, that at the time he was still a relatively new member of the SIM, and to reach out achieve like he did, is of especial significance since it went such a long way in seeing the whole thread develop and prosper in the way it did."

NOMINATION 04: SWIFT, FOR EXCELLENCE IN SKILLFULLY CRAFTING ACTION SCENES

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Swift
Reason for Nomination: "I could list more than one thread but I will keep it to two examples of the writers excellence in skilfully crafting high-paced action scenes: Operation: Dinner Out & Operation: Return to Sender (I see a naming pattern here). Swift imo is unparalleled in pushing the narrative forward and detailing the plot in a thrilling and enticing manner, with the effortless skill of a seasoned writer. In this effort he makes use of intriguing NPCs, to flesh out the scenery, and to make the storyline come to live around everyone involved." Additionally: "Why I truly think he deserves this award is not only because he's an excellent writer of action scenes, but because he tirelessly strives to include everyone in them. As a mentor he goes out of his way to come up with plots and set pieces, reaching out to other writers, bringing them together to partake in these fantastic stories. "
Motivation & Links:
"Idk, maybe I did not understand the assignment, I already spent like 100 words on the reasoning above. But I am sure I can take a leaf out of Swift's book and elaborate even further. He's the sturdy oak tree in the lush meadow of creativity, where other writers blossom like poppies and dandelions. His roots spreading out across the green, protectively around the newly grown flowers and shrooms, bringing them all together to become part of something bigger ... there you go."

Thank you in advance for your voting in this award category!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Award Poll: Suus Mahna Award 2021

Reply #1
POLL CLOSED, AND THE WINNER IS.....

@Swift , by a landslide! lol Congratulations on the Award and well earned! :)

Many awesome challenger nominations in this award poll too, so thank you to all the nominees for the excellent writing!

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Simple Audio Video Embedder