Skip to main content
Topic: Day 27 [2000 hrs.] - Drowning in an Irish Jewel (Read 4903 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 27 [2000 hrs.] - Drowning in an Irish Jewel

[PO2 Kino Taer | Below Decks Lounge | Deck 28 | USS Theurgy] Attn: @Stegro88
[Show/Hide]

Sitting on the far end of the bar counter, as far away from the entrance to the lounge as possible, Petty Officer Kino Taer was staring into a tumbler. The golden single malt, a strong and heavy drink from Terra, which Kino was introduced to during her time in the Dominion War, was completely unimpressive and harmless when replicated with synthehol. No bite to it, no numbing effect on a worn-out mind. Useless! She thought to herself and shook her head. A deep sigh escaped her throat as she raised her hands – one natural and one synthetic – to rub her face. Resting her palms in her short, silver hair with her head tilted down towards the counter, she mumbled. “Xenia, please, can I have the real stuff?” Her voice was unusually shaky and brittle. A concentrated observer might have even noticed the slight tremor, which had befallen her left, her real hand.

”Of course, Petty Officer. But I have to remind you of the side-effects of real alcohol.” The beautifully designed, holographic waitress replied, smiling friendly at her customer. Xenia’s black hair complemented her uniform nicely. Normally, Kino would have looked at her, gazed at her curves and smiled at her beauty. But not today. Not anymore. ”I know Xenia. That’s exactly what I need right now.”

The holographic beauty kept smiling as she nodded and turned to disappear into the back-office, leaving Kino to herself. The NCO sighed once more, lifted her head again and turned it, letting her eyes observe the room. Only a few crewmates were gathered at the tables this evening. People who were sitting together, exchanging battle lore or playing games while drinking imitated cocktails lacking even the slightest punch. Lucky them… She thought to herself and was suddenly reminded of the latest alterations to her body as an abrupt tingling sensation rushed through her pelvis like a wave, forcing her hip to tilt involuntarily, almost throwing her off the barstool. A deep, sensual gasp was forced to the surface and before Kino could prevent it, that gasp made it’s way out. Ungh! It was followed by an even louder, disgruntled. ”Fuck!” The Petty Officer had enough. Where was Xenia with the booze? Her half-Trill, half-machine body was doing what it wanted, irritating the battle-hardened security officer with sudden outbursts of sensory overload in her semi-artificial genitals every now and then, which was even more unnerving when it came in moments of deep and utter despair about the loss of her late friend - and lover?!? – Eliska Bremmer. She might have been able to enjoy this particular side effect of her body adapting to the artificial replacements under normal circumstances. But the circumstances were far, far from normal.

Just as the Trill was about to call for Xenia to get her the whiskey already, the holographic image walked around the corner, lasciviously waving the neatly crafted bottle of Glendalough at her. ”Coming right up, one hefty Irish Single Malt for my favorite Petty Officer.” She chirped and it was all too obvious that something in the barmaid's subroutines told her that this particular humanoid was in dire need of some good mood. Holding the bottle in the left, her right hand elegantly reached for a fresh tumbler, placing it in front of Kino. A moment later the golden liquid poured into the glass. The oily, soft texture of the drink reflected the light inside the lounge like a beautiful, ancient piece of amber.
Another sigh, this time one that was expressing gratitude and relief, as Kino took the glass with her calm, right hand and raised it slowly. ”This is for you, Eliska!” she whispered and took a long slug with closed eyes. She enjoyed the burning sensation of the real stuff. The bite! Just what she needed right now.

Opening her eyes again, she looked at Xenia, who was watching her with this strange, everlasting smile of hers. Oh my, she is beautiful! Since she was not used to it, the booze seemed to already loosen her up. She nodded at the hologram. ”Thank you, X. Leave the bottle, would you?”
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Re: Day 27 [2000 hrs.] - Drowning in an Irish Jewel

Reply #1
[ Crewman 3rd Class Samala | Below Decks Lounge | Deck 28 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy | Aldea ] Attn: @Lathaniel
[Show/Hide]

"I wonder how long it takes for people to stop looking at me funny?” Samala considered idly as she walked towards Below Decks. Since joining the crew officially several days prior, she had kept mostly to herself when she wasn’t training. It was something that had been noted by one of the NCOs responsible for overseeing her education and they had made mention that she should try to interact with other crewmembers while off duty. The better to foster comradery and help her to acclimate being a working part of the Theurgy and her crew. “I know it isn’t the uniform. I checked twice that I was wearing it correctly.”

Ahead of her, the doors opened to admit her and Samala walked into the Theurgy’s lounge for the first time since joining her crew. She still wasn’t used to wearing the uniform like everyone else; after a lifetime of being an individual, it was a challenge to conform, if only a little. Not seeing anyone she recognised, she headed towards the bar, noticing a woman with short-cropped white hair raising a glass before taking a long drink from it.

“I can think of worse ways to start a conversation,” Samala mused, deciding to see if her interpersonal skills were as bad as everyone seemed to think they were. Taking a seat one over from the Trill, leaving a gap as a precaution, Samala set her hands on the bar top and considered what to drink as she heard the woman request that the bottle be left for her.

“Excuse me, could I get a glass of something to drink?” Samala requested, before adding on. “Something from Earth. I’ve never been there.”

OOC: Here we go @Lathaniel. Did you want to write Xenia's response and what she gets for Samala. Surprise me?

Reply #2
[Show/Hide]

As per Xenia's programming, the hologram noticed the new arrival upon entry and had already retrieved the few bits of information accessible to her via Thea’s database. Setting Kino's the bottle of Single Malt down onto the counter, she turned her neatly crafted, holographic face and smiled wholeheartedly at the Crewman. She listened closely to Samala’s wish and nodded, batting her eyes in an attempt to appear friendly and human. ”Why certainly, Crewman!” She replied, putting a welcoming warmth and a hint of excitement in her voice. ”And welcome aboard this fine ship and it’s number one recreational facility. My name is Xenia.” The black haired image of a woman turned slightly and bent over. Her hands reached under the counter, taking out a slim glass and a bottle which was filled with an amber colored liquid, that looked quite similar to the Petty Officer’s drink. While pouring the premixed cocktail into the highball glass she again turned her beautiful face to the Crewman. ”There you go, a classical summer drink from the early twenty-first century. It’s called Aperol Spritz, our new, official welcoming drink.” Setting the glass with its syntheholic content down in front of Samala, her eyes glanced over to a table at the viewscreens, realizing that her services were needed there as well. ”Enjoy your drink!” She said before turning with a nod and walking away with an enchanting hip swing in order to tend to the other guests.

Kino’s attention had been with the glass of whiskey when the new crewmember walked in, but once she had emptied it, she turned slightly into the direction of Samala, scrutinizing her. Interesting. A Vulcan? No... wait... Romulan? Reman? What is she? Kino thought to herself while admiring the Crewman’s elegant ears and somewhat wild facial features while listening to Xenia's words. A new crewmember, huh? Her cybernetic eye glanced at the drink, which was served to Samala, then back to her own glass, her empty glass. Avoiding to use her left hand so nobody would see it shake, she positioned the tumbler in front of her and then used the same hand to grab the bottle of Glendalough, pouring herself a triple before setting the open bottle back on the counter. Taking her glass and raising it towards the pointy-eared Crewman, she spoke. ”Welcome aboard, Crewman!”
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #3
[ Crewman 3rd Class Samala | Below Decks Lounge | Deck 28 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy | Aldea ] Attn: @Lathaniel
[Show/Hide]

Sitting there, Samala wondered what she might be served. The hybrid had heard the names of dozens of drinks during her 4 weeks aboard the Federation vessel and had even tried several of them, but she didn’t doubt that there would be many more to learn about and try. She wasn’t even sure if the ones she knew about were from Earth or some other planet. Before her, the holographic bartender set a glass filled with an orange fluid and proclaimed that it was called an Aperol Spritz. Nodding in thanks, Samala stared at the drink, wondering what it might taste like.

“Welcome aboard, Crewman!”

Turning her head, Samala looked at the Trill she had sat down beside and who had just welcomed her aboard. Her short-cropped silver hair framed her spots which, in turn, framed her face. What drew her attention though was the cybernetic implant in her right eye. She couldn’t tell if it was an augment or a full replacement, but it was far less prominent that the implant her brother now had. And it was a much more pleasing blue compared to Lorad’s read eye. Not sure of the woman’s rank, but knowing she herself was at the bottom, Samala erred on the side of caution as the responded.

“Thank you, ma’am,” she said politely picking up her own drink in turn. “My name is Samala.”

Reply #4

[Show/Hide]

Kino kept her glass raised, waiting for the Crewman's response. She nodded in appreciation when Samala thanked her and introduced herself. "Here's to you, Samala!" She spoke, keeping eye contact until the glass touched her lips. After taking a sip she set the drink back down. "Ungh..." Kino shook her head, enjoying the unpleasant burn in her throat from the toxin she just ingested. She was quite happy about the fact that real alcohol had such a calming and dulling effect on her, though she was aware that probably any member of the medical department would scold her for being so irresponsible.

The Petty Officer turned her head back to face the new arrival. When she started to speak, she noticed a slight, but not yet obvious slur in her own voice. "Petty Officer Kino Taer. Security." She introduced herself and tried a welcoming smile that did not seem as wholehearted as she wanted it to look. This young Crewman was new. Kino did not want to set a bad example and come across as impolite or unwelcoming but after all that happened, she felt incapable of illustrating herself as the usual, happy-go-lucky girl.

Scrutinizing the dark haired beauty again, Kino noticed that she was probably not Vulcan. But Samala did not seem to be completely Romulan either.  She was puzzled and intrigued at the same time, but also not drunk enough nor bold enough to simply ask for the Crewman's heritage. At the same time, she wanted to find out. Guess I just got one more reason to stay and drink, Mr. Glendalough. She thought to herself and threw and quick glance to the Irish jewel which was patiently waiting to be emptied.
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]

She had taken a sip of her own beverage once she saw that the Trill was doing the same. The fluid was sweet, at first, but was followed by a surprising hint of bitterness afterwards, Samala couldn’t say she disliked the flavours but also that she didn’t like them either. Which meant that she would have to finish her drink to have a better idea of what she thought about it. Luckily it seemed that she would have company in accomplishing that task. 

“My brother is a part of security now,” Samala revealed after Kino had introduced herself. Samala had also noticed how the petty officer had been appraising her. “Probably trying to figure out exactly what I am,” the hybrid noted thoughtfully, having come across the same situation many times since she had come aboard. Not surprising, given the well-known stance between Romulans and Remans. “I’m sure that you would have noticed him. He tends to stand out here,” she said with a smile, revealing her elongated upper canines. “His name is Lorad.”

She sipped her drink again, gauging the mix of flavours once more as she also viewed the Trill beside her and her reaction to realising that what she was seeing in Samala, and couldn’t seemingly identify, was her father’s Reman ancestry.

Reply #6

[Show/Hide]

Kino raised the drink to her lips again, slowly tilting the tumblr and savoring the feeling of the cool glass on her skin. As the Crewman replied, she listened intently. Lorad? Was that the Reman with the artificial red eye She had been summoned to the Security Center once she was released from the Recovery Ward. Just a simple and very superficial debriefing, but an enormous task for the Petty Officer so shortly after waking up and learning about the fate of Eliska. Kino did remember the impressive sight of the Reman, though. He was talking to a Crewman when she arrived and someone, she was unable to remember who it was, called him by his name.

"Ah, yes. I think I remember. Tall guy with a red eye, right" She took another sip of her whiskey and nodded. "He stands out, alright. I certainly wouldn't mess with him if I could avoid it." She added with a hint of appreciation in her voice and a smile on her face. 

She felt another sudden tingle in her loin, a sensation she has experienced all too often since V-Nine had reconstructed her lower body after everything down there had been ripped apart. But it was a minor incident this time, hardly enough to make her twitch. She flinched, faintly, but surely visible to a trained eye. Regaining focus on the young Crewman quickly she tried to cover her sensory glitch with a quick follow-up question. "And what's your job on this fine vessel, Crewman?"
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #7
[Show/Hide]

“That’s him,” Samala confirmed after Kino had described her brother accurately. Samala herself hadn’t actually spoken with him for several days with the majority of both of their time being spent acquainting themselves with the ship’s routines and procedures. Additionally, Samala was undergoing additional training to bring her in line with Starfleet norms for a person of her rank. It was mostly boring stuff that the hybrid felt she could do in her sleep but she knew that it had to be done, if only for the peace of mind of her fellow crew.

Kino flinched slightly, and Samala was about to remark about it but was cut off as the security officer asked her about her own role aboard the Theurgy.

“I am currently undergoing what I am being told is remedial training to bring me in line with Starfleet norms for a crewman third class, which is the rank I have been assigned. Additionally, I am attempting to qualify as a support craft pilot,” Samala explained, taking another sip of her drink. “It was what I was basically training for before I came here so it makes sense to keep on the same track. Federation ships just have less weapons for me to worry about.”

Reply #8

[Show/Hide]

Kino nodded and attempted to empty the glass while listening to Samala elaborate on her current posting, only to realize that the glass contained nothing more but some drops. They did not even reach her mouth when she tilted the tumbler. She was glad that she had kept the bottle from disappearing in some cabinet behind the counter.

She smiled in agreement when Samala mentioned the lack of weaponry on Federation shuttles and set the glass down while simultaneously reaching for the bottle with her left hand. The tremor she was still suffering from went unnoticed by Kino, as she started to pour herself another one. The curiosity about Samala's past had taken over and she was satisfied with her decision to finally leave her quarters and get back out in the open.

"You'll be a pilot? That's great." She replied happily, guessing that Samala was at least five years younger than herself and probably quite young for a pilot in training. "Where did you start your training? I mean, I haven't seen you around and since you're rightfully mentioning the lack of firepower on our crafts, you must have served under a different flag." She looked down at the counter after finishing her inquiry, pouting a little as she noticed that she spilled quite a few drops. Carefully, she set the bottle back down and glanced over at the Crewman's glass to see if she was still adequatly supplied. Maybe she wanted to join her and the Irish gold once her drink was finished.
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #9
[Show/Hide]

Watching the Trill try to drain an empty glass while talking about her brother reminded Samala of the time when she had found Lorad drinking Reman whiskey in the cargo bay of the Apache. He had done something similar with the empty bottle he had been holding before tossing it aside and reaching for another one. That was before they had both gotten drunk off their native beverage. She had known why her brother had been drinking, but now, seeing Kino doing the same, she was curious what the Trill was trying to forget.

“Bacury III,” answered Samala, seeing no point in concealing her history. “I came aboard just before the battle with the Borg,” she explained, simplifying the timing for convenience. “Before that, I was with the Reman underground. That was where I learnt to be a pilot. I had started in engineering but the more I worked on ships, the more I wanted to fly them.” It was the truth, more or less, and Samala found herself wanting to be honest with the Trill that was now her crewmate. Kino had poured herself another drink from the bottle she had, spilling some of it on the top of the counter in her somewhat inebriated state. 

“That’s real alcohol,” Samala considered thoughtfully as she sipped her own beverage. “She is drinking to forget something, and she doesn’t seem to care who sees her given that she is sitting here in the open at the bar. Question is, what, if anything, I should do about it.” Thinking on it for a moment, and not being one to be circumspect, unless it suited her, Samala turned to the Trill beside her.

“So, before you finish too much of that,” Samala said, glancing at the opened bottle. “Would you like to tell me why you are drinking?”

Reply #10

[Show/Hide]

While Kino was still taking sips from her tumbler when Samala was elaborating on her past, she set the glass down and faced the dark-haired beauty once the Crewman ended talking about her path to becoming a shuttle pilot, and glanced over to the bottle. Kino's dissimilar eyes focused on her counterpart's whereas her right hand was clutching her left.
The short, but seemingly honest excursion into the hybrid's past had taken this little conversation between two unfamiliar crewmates to a new level. And although Samala was a Crewman, Kino could not help but pay her respect for answering her direct question in exactly the manner she would expect from a soldier; open, direct and precise.

The inquiry the Crewman brought forth afterwards had taken her aback, though. It took some courage to remind an NCO of her potentially excessive alcohol-consumption when you are not only a Crewman but also new to the ship. But Kino liked the way Samala approached the topic and began to realize that she should slow down a bit. If not for the sake of her health, than at least in order to not leave the lounge on all fours.

For a brief moment, the Petty Officer cherished the idea of ignoring the offer to get things off her chest and just keep on drinking. But she discarded this thought almost immediately. If she was completely honest with herself, she had to admit that coming here, to the usually quite heavily populated place, was an attempt to get help. The fact that she found someone who actually asked her if she wanted to talk about something made Kino feel exposed and cornered, but ultimately, she had no choice. If the past days of solitude had taught her anything, it was that she was not capable of dealing with her situation on her own.

"I lost someone..." She started to answer with a brittle voice but had to pause and swallow the lump in her throat before continuing with watering eyes. "Someone I loved for a long time without allowing myself to... to feel it." A subdued sob escaped her, and a good observer might have noticed her right hand squeezing her left hard enough to make it hurt. She cleared her throat. "Even though we both lived dangerous lives, I was stupid enough to convince myself that we had all the time in the world and that we could wait with feelings until we reached safer waters." Tears rolled down her cheeks and she quickly wiped them away with her right hand, revealing the white fingerprints it left on the skin of the now again trembling hand. "I fucked it up, Samala. And I miss her. I miss her so much." Lowering her head she sniffed and again had to fight the sobs, which were trying to shake her body once more. 
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #11
[Show/Hide]

Samala had half been expecting some form of rebuke from the Petty Officer, despite them both being off duty. Her question had been quite forward and phrased in such a way that she either knew or expected that Kino was intending to finish the bottle of real alcohol, despite what effects and resulting behaviour might be caused. Samala didn’t know the Trill, having only just met her, but she couldn’t see a reason for allowing her potential new friend to make a fool of themselves for an unknown reason. After Kino’s story, Samala figured she would re-evaluate.

What she heard from the Trill was, even to Samala after what she had experienced in her short life, saddening. To have loved someone without truly sharing it. Samala couldn’t think of a worse fate in life. Both her mother and father had told on her from a young age to love freely and openly. It came from both their unique relationship and the overall status of Remans as the slave to the Romulans. Her efforts to do just that had been greatly hampered by the discovery of her telepathic abilities but she had hoped that once her training was complete, she could discover the one with whom she would share her life.

“I wish I could tell you it gets better, or that that you did nothing wrong,” Samala began, trying to think of what to say. “But I cannot. And it is only through our failures that we can grow as a person.” It was something her father had told her; something that she had been told numerous times during her youth. Something that her mother had told her was both right and wrong and that she would have to discover for herself what her father was trying to teach her.

“I lost my mother and father recently,” Samala began, trying to sympathise better. “They died when the Romulans attacked. My father had ordered my brother to save me and himself instead of trying to rescue them. I hated him for that and didn’t even realise it for a time. I loved my brother, the only family I had left, and I hated him for that. It wasn’t until later, when I found him in a similar position to you are now, that I understood.” Samala left out the part where she had used telepathy to read her brother’s mind, to see things as he could see them. Her abilities were both a gift and a curse to her, but they did help her from time to time.

“All I can say is that drinking yourself to death doesn’t help and isn’t what this person would want for you if they loved you half as much as you seem to love them. You’ll remember them always and be reminded of them more but that can be a gift. Their gift to you,” Samala said, trying to get her point across. “I know I am young, but I hope to live a long time and one day, to understand what my parents had tried to teach me. I go on to honour them and their sacrifice.”

“I remember something my mother once told me, when she was trying to explain why she loved my father despite her own family disowning her,”
Samala continued, dredging up the memory of that night, so many years before. “I don’t remember it perfectly, but she said it was something a Terran once said, long ago, when their lives were not so long and more easily lost.”

“That is was better to have loved someone and lost them, than to have never known love at all.”

Reply #12

[Show/Hide]

In between swallowed sobs and squeezed hands, Kino could not help but notice a strange feeling of guilt. She had dumped her troubles into the lap of a younger, lower ranking crew member almost without any hesitation. She should have thanked the Crewman for the generous offer but declined to take her up on it. Way to go, Petty Officer. She scolded herself sarcastically.

The fact that this young woman was sharing the wisdom she inherited by her late parents was something Kino appreciated. Hearing Samala talk about her parent’s death and the effect it had on her made Kino understand that she was not the person in this universe  who had lost someone. She has read the reports by now and learned that the Borg took a lot of lives over the course of the battle. But those reports were not reaching through, they were too impersonal and technical. Samala did. The sympathy she was expressing was helping Kino to control herself more and more with each word. When Samala finished, Kino nodded and absentmindedly pushed her tumbler a little further away from herself.

”Thank you, Samala.” She said and looked down at her trembling left hand, her leg and her crotch as if she was unsure if it was all in the right place. ”I know that you’re right, you know. I know that Eliska wouldn’t want me to mourn her like this. She wouldn’t want me to drown my sorrow in booze and she certainly would have spanked the hell out of me if she ever caught me lying in bed, sobbing and feeling bad for myself.” The thought of one particularly interesting situation in her quarters put a hint of a smile on her face. But it quickly vanished and was replaced by a deep sigh.

”I’m sorry. I should really stop being so self-centered. Raising her eyes to those of her counterpart, she waited a moment before speaking again. ”I am truly sorry for your loss, Samala.” And she meant it. ”I feel stupid for dumping all my troubles at your feet. I shouldn’t have…” She started to apologize, but as she was voicing the words, they became shaky and before she could finish, she had to stop talking in order to stop another wave of tears. Instead, her shivering left hand reached out and apologetically patted the Crewman’s knee. It was an attempt to finish her sentence without words, an attempt of which Kino could only hope Samala would understand.
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #13
[Show/Hide]

Kino’s expression of gratitude, a sincere gesture as far as Samala could tell, was a small comfort to the young hybrid. Her ability to help people without causing some form of pain or suffering first were far from refined and so it was a nice change for Samala. Kino seemed to understand what she was trying to convey and, if Samala was any judge, seemed to help her, in some small way. Samala could only hope that small help might leader to bigger and better results over time. After all, she was no expert in such things.

“It is alright,” Samala assured Kino, laying her own hand atop of the Trill’s where it rested on her knee. “I have gotten through the worst of it. And it did take some time, but I was reminded that my parents wanted me to live. And I would be insulting what they did for me and their continuing memory if I didn’t try to make that life count for something.”

“It’s one of the reasons I decided to join the crew of this ship. To make a difference like they did,”
Samala revealed, downing the last of her drink and looking around for the bartender. Looking back, she saw the open bottle sitting before Kino. “May I ask what you are drinking? It looks like it has a little bit of a bite to it.”

Reply #14

[Show/Hide]

Feeling Samala's hand on her own send another shiver through her, a pleasant one. The warmth of her skin, the energy transfer that took place on a molecular level between one living organism and another has always fascinated Kino. At this moment, though, she simply enjoyed the touch. It felt reassuring, sympathetic and empowering all at once. And finally, as if a Samala had found a secret switch, the tremor stopped and her hand went still.

"That is a very mature and wise attitude." She said while looking directly into Samala's eyes. The slight slur in her voice was barely noticeable, now that she partially regained control over herself. "I'm sure your parents would be proud of you and the choice you made." With that, she took the bottle and presented it to the Crewman with a cheeky smirk.

"This, my dear Samala, is Mr. Glendalough. An Irish Whiskey from Earth. We drank it to celebrate or relax after fighting in the Dominion War. It carries a certain punch, yes. Would you like to try?" Not waiting for an answer, she got up and leaned her torso over the counter, trying to reach the shelf that carried the tumblers. But just as she wanted to put her fingers around one of the glasses, another jolt of pleasure was caused by her still adapting lower regions. A deep, shaky sigh of pleasure that ended with a confused, questioning undertone escaped her lips. Her buttocks seemed to clench in surprise and she almost lost her balance before her feet found an anchor under the seat. With blushing cheeks and an apologetic, shy smile she pulled herself back onto her seat, placing the tumbler in front of Samala. "Sorry... still adapting here." She mumbled, her eyes cast down a bit. Clearly this was an embarrassing situation for the Trill.
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #15
[Show/Hide]

“Whiskey?” Samala thought to herself as she listened to the history behind the bottle of alcohol that sat before the Trill. “Now we are talking,” she mused to herself. She had enjoyed the drink from the bar well enough but there was something about drinking real alcohol, instead of synthehol, that just made everything feel better. Even if the feeling didn’t last. She was fooling herself of course. She knew exactly why real alcohol made it all feel better. And she was no stranger to drinking whiskey either. 

“I’d love to try some of your whiskey,” Samala acknowledged as she watched Kino lean across the bar. Something wasn't right though, as the Trill sighed before nearly losing her balance and falling off her seat. At first, Samala thought it might have been the whiskey she had been drinking finally catching up with her but then she blushed and smiled and informed the hybrid that she was still adapting. Choosing to give her a moment, Samala reached across for the bottle and poured herself half a glass full.

“Adapting to what, may I ask?” Samala asked as she took a sip of the amber fluid. It burned her throat in a familiar way and hybrid smiled softly at the feeling of it sliding down her throat. “Not bad. Almost tastes like home.”

Reply #16

[Show/Hide]

Kino smiled at Samala as she took her up on the offer. Her face remaining bright red, Kino waited until Samala finished pouring and then took the bottle in order to refill her own tumbler. She was a bit relieved that the hybrid was joining her. Even though she still had a good head start, she felt a bit less awkward now. Drinking alone was never really her thing but numbing what happened seemed like a great idea at first. At least until Samala pointed out that what Kino was doing was not helping at all.

Kino had hoped, for a moment, that Samala might just let her lapse go, but of course she did not. Kino's face was just about to return to its usual pale tone when Samala voiced her inquiry, which in turn renewed the rosy touch to her cheeks. She sighed, then raised her tumbler halfway before speaking. "Well, just another heroic fuck up of Petty Officer Taer." She tried to make it sound as funny as she could in an effort to take the humiliation out of the situation. "During the Borg attack, my team and I tried to secure the area where the connections between Thea and the fighters are located, deck 15 that is, just above Fighter Assault Bay. The Borg were beaming in and trying to hack into the ports and consoles." Her hand which held the tumbler was gesturing a little, spilling some of the amber spirit over her hand. But she did not seem to notice. "Well, we were outmanned, and the situation was completely chaotic. So I improvised, planted charges on and around those fuckers, trying to blow them to bits. But you know how things go in moments like these. One of those cyborgs grabbed me and I had no choice but to detonate early. I basically blew my own leg and private parts off." She chuckled and raised her glass all the way.

"Here's to fucking awesome battle tactics!" She took a sip and shrugged. 
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #17
[Show/Hide]

Samala took another sip of the whiskey as Kino recounted what had happened to her during the Battle of the Aperture, as it had come to be known amongst the crew. And just like Samala, the Trill had come face to face with the Borg when they had beamed aboard the Theurgy. If Kino’s slurred description was to be truly believed, then she had tried to solve the problem using explosives and, while successful, had maimed her own body in the process. Evidently, now a significant portion of her lower body was now cybernetic, like her own brother’s artificial components.

“Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans, right,” Samala quoted, trying to lighten the mood and put Kino at ease. “During our escape from Romulan space, Lorad was taken prisoner by the syndicate to fight in one of their gladiatorial fights. Well, while I was looking for him, I tried sneaking into this mostly empty warehouse to try and find someone I could threaten for information. Turned out, I had actually snuck into the arena and instead of a stealthy exit, we ended up shooting our way out.”

“So I agree,”
Samala said, swirling the liquid in her glass for a moment. “Here’s to fucking awesome battle tactics.”

Reply #18

[Show/Hide]

Kino grinned at her after Samala finished laying out her and Lorad's escape story. She felt she had found someone in the young hybrid who had a lot of interesting tales to share. "Hell yeah, that's right. Best laid out plans always are the worst." She chuckled again and took another sip, a small one now, since she did not want this conversation to end to quickly.

"You and Lorad must have had quite the rough adventure. I'm glad you made it here. People like you and your brother are exactly what we need. I mean, yes, of course we also need scientists and doctors and all that, but I'd rather fight alongside you against any intruder than playing nanny for someone who can't even hold a phaser pointing in the right direction. Her hand fell onto the counter with an audible slapping sound as she opened her eyes a bit wider. "You know, maybe we should train together on the holodeck. Just to maintain our skills and maybe learn something new." She was still slurring the words a bit, but Samala and her openess seemed to have a very positive impact on Kino's mood. 

She turned to look for Xenia, found her approaching the counter after serving syntheholic mojitos to a group of Crewmen, and waved at her. "Xenia, darling, could we have little snack?" She ordered with a wanton tone to her voice before turning back to Samala, smiling at her. She felt a bit awkward deep down in her guts. Those swift mood swings were unusual for her. But she reveled internally about being able to smile, laugh and just be happy for once.
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #19
[Show/Hide]

She was stunned at the seeming turnaround in Kino’s behavior, wondering just how much the Trill had drank before arriving in the lounge. Her words had begun to slur noticeably and Samala was starting to wonder if she should call someone for assistance. It was not good to drink too much when you were in a state of emotional upheaval; a state that Kino certainly fell into with the recent discovery of the loss of her friend. 

“Whiskey and weapons do not mix,” Samala stated, reciting something that both her father and her brother had said to her. “Perhaps another time.” The hybrid wasn’t sure if Kino had heard her though as she looked around in search of the being that had supplied them with their drinks. Getting her attention, the Trill ordered a snack, apparently leaving the choice up to Xenia. Samala wasn’t sure if that was a good idea or not but decided that she didn’t need to eat whatever it was that Xenia brought them.

“I think you might need to stop drinking the whiskey,” Samala advised her new friend, not wanting her to regret anything she might do in such an inebriated state. “You should get something different to drink as well.”

Reply #20

[Show/Hide]

"Of course, later. Not now, no." Kino replied and chuckled again. Thinking about herself trying to complete a holodeck training course with half a bottle of Single Malt in her system was really something. "You're right. I couldn't even run in a straight line. A very girlish giggle escaped her, even though she felt slightly embarrassed by her inebriated state. Deep in the back of her head, she knew very well that she was not adhering to the NCO's creed. Being certified unfit for duty for at least a few more days did not change the fact, that she should not drink excessively - especially not in front of lower ranks. But this thought was not reaching the surface of her consciousness. At least not until Samala expressed her concerns so openly, that is.

Kino sighed heavily, in danger of sliding back into mourning her loss. This is not right, Kino! She scolded herself and looked down at the glass in her hand. The allure of drinking started to fade as shameful images of proud, honorable, and highly decorated Federation and Klingon officers drinking themselves into a state of primitive, almost feral behavior after the battles fought during the Dominion War started flashing before her inner eyes. Commander Grotarn, who had thrown up all over his XO after wetting himself. Lieutenant Gamsbacher, who started flirting with Kino even though his wife was sitting right next to her.  

Kino raised her eyes again, just about to admit to her misconduct and follow Samala's advise, when Xenia returned to the bar. The holographic waitress had replicated a standard assembly of nuts and crackers and served the tray as elegantly as always. Her well-programmed smile turned into a slightly scolding look as she noticed that the Trill had one too many fills of Whiskey. With the resolve native to a good and proper barkeeper, she took the bottle. "The Crewman is right, Petty Officer. You have indeed exceeded the amount of alcohol that is recommended. Let me get you something to hydrate." She said and turned towards the replicator to browse through the menu.

Kino followed the hologram with her eyes, wandering down her slender figure only to rest upon her perfectly shaped buttocks for the fraction of a second. She sighed before returning her gaze to Samala. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't... you know. This is not me. Not really." She straightened her back and shrugged. "But hey, I'll be okay eventually, right?"
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #21
[Show/Hide]

She almost believed that she was about to be reprimanded, given how forthright she had been in politely chastising the Petty Officer. The Trill was technically her superior officer but, in her inebriated state, it was hard to find anything superior about her that she should respect. She was practically falling off her chair, her speech was slurred, and she was, if Samala was any judge, checking out the holographic waitress. And while Samala could agree, that whoever had designed Xenia had done a remarkable job, the way that Kino was looking at her made the hybrid think that she had other plans on her mind.

“I believe you, ma’am,” Samala said honestly, knowing what effects alcohol could have on a person when consumed with abandon. “And I believe that you will be okay one day. It might not be tomorrow, or next week, but there will be a day when you wake up and instead of the empty feeling of loss, you are instead greeted with the warm memories of what you shared. And that day will come all the sooner the less you drink. It makes the wait harder, but it ends it quicker.”

“Now, what is it that sits before us?”
Samala asked, changing the subject before it got too maudlin. “I do not recognise most of this food.”

Reply #22

[Show/Hide]

Listening intently to Samala, Kino again had to admit that she might look young, but she sure was wise. And even though Kino wanted to be sober again, she could not help but revel the lightness the whiskey had bestowed on her; be it as short-lived as it may.

When Samala inquired about the snack, she caught Kino a bit off-guard. The Crewman's voice and her words had enchanted her, taken her out of the here and now for a few moments and put her in a position, in which she could almost grasp the day of which Samala had spoken. The day, when her memories would not make her cry, would not make her feel all vulnerable and alone. Simply imagining this day made her feel better, safer, in a way.

Kino cleared her throat. "These... erm... these are snacks, from earth I think." She raised her left and pointed at the left side of the tray. "These are peanuts, very famous in bars all across earth. Though there was a time when more and more humans developed allergies against these little thingies. Stories about people eating those while being drunk and forgetting that they might die if they had even one of 'em were still told when I was discovering earth's nightlife. Nobody seemed to care about the fact that most allergies have long been eradicated." Her finger wandered over to the other side. "And these are simply salty biscuits. Taste great with cheese or hot sauce. And of course, the peanuts are salted as well. I'm pretty sure they did this to make the customers order more drinks." She took a cracker, lifted it to her lips and took a bite. "You should try them yourself. If you're not allergic, that is."
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Reply #23
[Show/Hide]

“I’ve never seen a peanut before,” Samala revealed, picking up one of the small nuts and rolling it between her fingers, judging it. “I’ve never held one or tasted one. Before right now, I never even knew they existed,” Samala said, eyeing the nut. “I have no idea if I am allergic to them or not,” Samala said, smelling the nut, assessing if she was going to try it or not. She could not tell anything special about it in one regard or another. “One way to find out,” she declared, opening her mouth and popping the nut inside. It tasted salty, as described but in Samala’s opinion, it was not anything special.

“How does one know if they are allergic?” Samala asked, eyeing off one of the salty biscuits that Kino had described to her. She could already feel the salt affecting her mouth, drying it out and making her want to drink more. She could imagine an earlier time, before replicators were prevalent, how supplying a food that made you want to drink more would be an effective commerce tactic.

“My mouth has gone dry, but I do not feel any different,” Samala described, wondering if she should eat another of the nuts or try something else instead. She had had an early dinner several hours earlier but was feeling peckish.

Reply #24

[Show/Hide]

Kino watched Samala and listened to her verbalized pondering, while taking another cracker to nibble on. She liked the texture of those things. Hard and brittle, but yet turning soft and mushy quickly upon being chewed. Her eyes stayed focused on Samala, though. She did not want her to experience an allergic reaction, but on the other hand she was absolutely sure that treating an allergic reaction would be a walk in the park for the medical staff. Her gaze followed the tiny snack until it disappeared between Samala's lips.

"I think the reaction would set in rather quickly. But I'm no expert on nuts." She said and giggled childishly. The pun was not intended at all, but once she spoke the words, she realized that they could easily be turned into a lewd joke. Still smiling, she continued. "But this dry feeling is normal. Maybe you should try one of those, next?" She pointed a finger at the crackers. "They will dry your mouth further, but at least those little yummies do not contain any allergens.

She took another small bite off the biscuit and tilted her head slightly, the smile still on her face and her cheeks rosy-tinted from both the alcohol and a slight arousal, which was slowly creeping up her thighs. All the fighting and surviving, the injuries and the cryo-sleep had taken her mind off of most physical needs apart from the ones imperative for normal bodily functions. But ever since she woke up this time and experienced her first "adjustment jolt" - as she called the tingling sensation in her crotch - she was constantly remembered of the fact that it had been a long time since anyone - her included - had paid any attention to her private parts. A few moments ago, she would have scolded herself for even feeling anything sexual, but the comfort she felt in Samala's presence kept slowly melting her bad mood as well as her guilty conscience.

But Kino was far from being ready to indulge herself in any adventures of the private sort.
Lt JG Sorek Morgan
[Show/Hide]
PO2 Kino Taer
[Show/Hide]

Simple Audio Video Embedder