Skip to main content
Topic: CH06: S [D03|1415] Burns and a bedside manner (Read 1913 times) previous topic - next topic

CH06: S [D03|1415] Burns and a bedside manner

[Ens Katherine Locke | Sickbay | USS Oneida NCC-78497] attn: @Stegro88

There were times when the ship almost seemed to be alive, where the thrum of the engines the sound of the machines. Katie hadn’t quite learned what all the swells and dips in the sounds meant, it was something that took time, a skill that no book could teach you, that came through experience alone. It was something she was sure she’d pick up, given enough time that is. What she had learned today was a whole new sound, a different beat that she’d never heard before…the sound of an emergency.

It had been a single shuttle and some fighters, it wasn’t enough to wake the Chief Medical Officer, to summon any additional aid to help out, at least not yet. What it did mean was the staff of the sickbay were bouncing around between the medical beds as they triaged the injured. Most of the patients filling sickbay had been tossed around during their time in the shuttle and fighters during their harrowing journey. An array of cuts and bruises was to be expected, and the crew didn’t disappoint. Luckily no-one required surgery, but tossed in between them though were the odd injury that was more serious, burns or deeper cuts that required medical intervention. Such was the case with one of the members of the crew of the Theurgy who the nurse had briefly exchanged words with down in the hangar.

The tray of tools clinked softly as Katie placed it down on the table next to the bed, fingers deftly moving over the tools before looking up at Mikayla, letting a warm smile pull at her lips as she inclined her head at the Klingon before her tricorder came up, slener fingers pulling it open.

“Hey again, let’s take a look at your arm, see what we can do with it.”

The nurse’s eyes flicked up and down between the tricorder and the woman, that smile never wavering as she watched the ata scrolling across the screen for a moment before she nodded slowly.

“Ok, this actually looks a lot worse than it is. The burns don’t go too deep so you’ actually heal up nicely by yourself given enough time, but what we’re going to do is speed you along and stop it from scarring up on you.”

She was also a little worried about infection, but thankfully sealing up the wound should prevent any concerns about anything getting into the healing wound to impede it’s healing.

“Could you take off your jacket and lay down on the bed for me please?”

Re: CH06: S [D03|1415] Burns and a bedside manner

Reply #1
[ CPO Mickayla MacGregor | Sickbay | USS Oneida | EnRoute To Qo’noS ] Attn: @Luciain
[Show/Hide]

The journey to the Oneida’s sickbay had not been as harrowing as Mickayla might have expected. Walking the ship’s passageways, the Klingon had expected that anyone she crossed paths with stop and stare are the storied mutineers of Starfleet. Instead, she was greeted with brief nods and not much else. It was that they were disrespectful, Mickayla knew, as they all seemed genuinely happy, but rather that she was obviously injured and that the ship, and its crew, had business to attend too. No doubt word of Martok’s presence on board was spreading like wildfire.

Now, she was seated on a bed in the sickbay as Ensign ‘Katie’ set a tray of medical implements down on the sheets next to her before picking up the tricorder again and announcing her intent to look at Mickayla’s shoulder again. She was silent as the device performed its scans and the Klingon tried to distract herself by looking around to see what else was happening. Unfortunately, nothing within her field of vision proved distracting enough and Mickayla was left to wonder just how long this was going to take. Then came the announcement that all patients seemingly dreaded. It was worse than expected.

“Could you take off your jacket and lay down on the bed for me please?”

“Sure.” The request was simple enough in itself but following through with it proved more difficult. After unzipping her jacket, Mickayla discovered that the plasma fire that had burned her had also melted the layers of fabric together, making their removal difficult. Seeing no other recourse, The Klingon gritted her teeth and pulled both jacket and undershirt over her head, hissing in pain as her shoulder objected to the renewed abuse it was receiving. Freed of the tattered garments, and with her upper body still covered by the crop top she had chosen to wear that morning, Mickayla settled back onto the bed, oddly grateful that it was her shoulder that was injured, and not her abdomen. She had become quite attached to the piercing in her navel. 

“My name is Mickayla MacGregor,” the Klingon introduced herself, trying to make an effort for the Theurgy’s new allies. She wondered how long they would survive for. 

Reply #2

Soft brown eyes widened at the sight of those burns marring the Klingon’s skin, the raised puckered flesh that pulled away from her top. It was sad, but burns were one of the most common injuries you could see on a ship, especially when it came to engineer emergencies. The warp core was a wonder of engineering that allowed them to hop and skip across the face of the galaxy, warping space at will to move these miniature cities they’d built. Engines built on powerful contained energies, restrained by the intricities of the warp system…and when it broke those energies were unleashed on the ship.

Katie had never yet seen a major shipboard emergency, had only seem the effects of those wounds in the holographic scenarios which they had trained on, but that had been enough to never wanted to have to deal with that again. Mickayla’s injuries didn’t seem to be that bad, but the wound on her arm was worse than anything else that the nurse had dealt with while she’d been serving on board the Oneida. Not beyond her ability to handle, they’d trained them for this but still, not something she’d wish on anyone.

“I’m Katherine, Katherine Locke but everyone calls me Katie.”

The young Nurse practitioner turned her full attention onto Mickayla, eyes settling on her face as she lifted a hypospray, pressing it against the woman’s neck. There was a quiet hiss as the medicine stored in the hypospray flooded into the Klingon’s system, a cool feeling that seemed to radiate out from the cool metal pressed against her skin.

“This will help with the pain and the soreness while we work on the arm. So, you’re one of our guests from the Theurgy right? What do you do over there?”

One of the first things she'd learnt was to engage with her patients, to get them talking about something they cared about. Anything to distract them from the medical procedure...but even saying that...she was curious, she was very curious about the Theurgy, about what they'd uncovered. The brunette couldn't think of one person onboard the Oneida who wouldn't want to find out more about them.

Reply #3
[ CPO Mickayla MacGregor | Sickbay | USS Oneida | EnRoute To Qo’noS ] Attn: @Luciain
[Show/Hide]

The pain meds were a welcome relief from the fire in her arm caused by the plasma burns. She had been injured before, several times, since her alteration by the Savi and the resulting skin sensitivity, but this was the first time that she had received an injury that affected her skin so extensively. It hurt, a lot, but Mickayla was resolved to not let it show as much as she could. If her skin became a liability to her duty, then of what use was she? What else was there for her to be in life?

“Security,” Mickayla answered the ensign’s question. It was a simple enough answer that should explain everything that her companion wanted to know. Of course, she assumed that there would be other questions, most likely more probative ones, but it would not be easy for Mickayla to tell if they were from an innocent person trying to get to know her new allies or from someone looking for information about how to harm them. “So how did you all end up out here?”

As if to answer her question, the ship’s intercom system sounded with the voice of the Oneida’s captain drawing both of their attention to it as the man began to speak.

"Attention, this is your Captain speaking. You will have to pardon the trope, but I have some good news and some bad news."

Reply #4

The woman opened her mouth to answer before the captain's voice came booming out of the intercom, his voice cutting through the normally peaceful sickbay. It left Katie doing her best impression of a goldfish for a moment mouth opening and closing as the captain's speech echoed around the room. She'd open her mouth every time she thought he was done, only to have to close it as the speech continued. Only when it was finally done did the young woman offer Mickayla a wry shrug.

"I guess that's why we're here, he's got a better way with words than I ever managed. I guess that's why he's the captain and I'm not...though you know the experience and drive to command is probably a good reason for it too."

She knew her father especially had always been a little disappointed about that, but Katie saw the pressures put on those in command, the never ending struggle of responsibility and to be honest, she didn't want any part of it. All that the young woman wanted, aspired to be was the best medical officer she could be. Happy to fill her little niche.

A tricorder found it's way into the brunette's hand as she slowly ran it over the damaged tissue, a deeper scan this time while she knew her patient was no longer in pain.

"It's a little scary you know, all this. I mean, what you've found, what we all stumbled on is...terrifying enough in it's own right. That someone could do what they did and not be caught, not be detected kinda beggars belief. And then they're stretching out and making everyone dance to their tune. They almost did the same to us, now we're being hunted by Starfleet."

By the people she'd looked up to and gone to school with. There might be captains out there who her father had brought home for dinner, who had no idea what was happening but would hunt down the traitor ships without a second thought. Frankly, it terrified the young nurse. A second shot from the hypospray to reduce the swelling now before she started on the repairs. A small voice slipping from her lips.

"How do you do it? Keep doing this?"

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]

Mickayla sat quietly and listened as the Ensign spoke in the aftermath of the Captain’s addressing of the crew of the Oneida. As the painkillers began to work, she was able to relax her resolve and take in more of what the woman was saying. In a way, she sympathised with the Human, surprising herself at her own labelling of the officer. Yes, it was true, Locke was a Human, But Mickayla knew she had thought of it in a way that meant that she herself was no Human. Not even half Human. Given her most recent revelation, Mickayla decided now wasn’t the time to dwell on as Ensign Locke asked how she managed to keep going.

“Honestly,” Mickayla said, not wanting to lie but also not knowing just how much she was allowed to say on the matter either. “So far everything I have done has been pretty routine, just like I would have been doing if I didn’t know about any of this and was stationed aboard any other ship in the fleet,” Mickayla explained. She had left out the bombing, and the training to fight an Infested, which she had tried not to scoff at having already fought a Savi Scion that was Infested. She hadn’t known it at the time, and had almost paid the price for that, but she alive and if she had her way, she was going to stay that way.

“It's probably not the answer you are after, but it is what I know,” Mickayla commented, trying to sound apologetic. “I’m not senior staff so I don’t have to make grand decisions. I’m not even an officer. I’m just a Chief Petty Officer. I do my duty to my ship and crew and worry about the bigger issues if and when they end up right in front of me.”

“Like being blood related to fucking Gorka,” Mickayla mused silently.

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder