Skip to main content
Topic: CH01: S [D01|1200] Ashes to Ashes (Read 2117 times) previous topic - next topic

CH01: S [D01|1200] Ashes to Ashes

Lt. Cmdr. Hathev | Main Bridge | Deck 01 | Vector 01 | U.S.S. Theurgy] Attn: @Auctor Lucan

Hathev stood to the port side of the Main Bridge, her attention focused solely on the imaged displayed on the main viewscreen.  In one moment, Paris was a bustling city of art and culture, alive and vibrant.  Then the flash, the rain of green, and then the horror.  Even from the distant angle on the footage, Hathev saw the confusion on peoples faces, a confusion that mutated into horror as their skin turned to ash, their once lithe bodies now turned into ashen husks by the effects of Thaloron radiation.  Then the ultimate desecration, as the dead fell where they stood, their bodies shattered into dust carried off by the Terran winds.

3.62 seconds was all the time it had taken to turn the Federation’s seat of power into what humans would term a ‘ghost town’.

Infrastructure remained, buildings and artificial constructs were unaffected by the attack.  Ground cars continued moving to their programmed destinations, their passenger’s dead.  The Champs-Élysées, once bustling with activity, empty.  Visitors surrounding the Eiffel tower and the Louvre, gone.

She became aware of the tension in her face, the widening of her eyes and the subtle yet distinct opening of her mouth and recognized them as what humans might call ‘shock’ or ‘surprise’.  Her control was slipping, and she bid herself to re-focus.  Vulcan history had been littered with violence until her people had embraced pure logic.  For as…horrific…as these images were, they paled in comparison to the history of her world.  She had not bristled at those images, and yet now, here in this moment, she found herself having to exert added effort to keep herself in check and she could not understand why.

Then, as the image on the viewscreen transitioned to the recordings from the Theurgy brig, the reason became apparent.

Triss

It had been only a few hours before the Bellerophon had engaged with the Theurgy when she had received the message.  She had read it once only, but that one time had been more than enough.

Hathev,

I hope this message finds you well.  I know how hard it was for you after Kireil and I know that, even though your Vulcan logic would never allow you to admit it, that our home on Earth brought you pain.  When you left, I never doubted that you would return to me and that we would eventually find healing together.  I hope your time in the field has helped you to find the perspective you need

Although I could not at the time, I now understand why you left.  Without you, without Kireil, the house feels empty, cavernous, an overwhelming reminder of just how alone I truly feel these days.  In some ways I am in the same position you were.  Only difference is that I don’t have your discipline and logic to help me through it.

I don’t know if you recall my telling you before you left, but I applied for a fellowship at Pain du Chocolat under Mireille Desjardins.  These names may not mean anything to you, but for those in the baking world, Mireille is a highly sought-after baker and the waiting list to work with her was, at one time, years long.  She had a student recently back out of her program, and I was invited to apply. 

I received word today that I have been accepted.  I leave for Paris tomorrow to begin a six-month fellowship.  It will be an intensive program.  The schedule is almost Vulcan in its rigidity and I’m told I will have very little free time.

I’ve decided to close out the house in Torgny for the time being.  As I’m sure it did for you, it reminds me all to much of everything I’ve lost.  You left for Starfleet.  I’m leaving for school.

I’m not sure where this leaves us, however.  Technically we are still married, but I’m sure you’ve come to the same realization I have in that our marriage is far from what it once was.  What are we?  Estranged?  Separated?  Divorced?  I don’t even know any more.  I’m not sure you do either.

So, I’m going to start fresh.  If you make it back to Earth, I would welcome the opportunity to see you again and talk things out.

Until then, I wish you well.

~Triss

She had moved to Paris over a month ago.

Logic dictated that her wife was dead.

The rest of the briefing passed in an all too uncharacteristic unfocused blur as she pushed the emotions down, fighting to keep in control of her logical self.  She had little to add to the conversation anyways.  Tactics and strategy were not her strongest suit and she was content to leave that piece of the puzzle to those more knowledgeable than her.  It did seem that consensus was to utilize the Savi vessel, and the Allegiant.  They had discussed the merits of separating the ship into its constituent vectors once again, but seemed to have decided against doing so, a decision she found to be logical.

Captain Ives’ voice pulled her back to the present as he ordered her to accompany him to the ready room.  He needed her assistance in crafting a message.  As she was still new to the vessel, she was unsure of just how much assistance she could provide, but she would do her duty to the best of her ability.

The meeting broke up and she followed Ives to his ready room and entered behind him and remained standing.

“How may I be of assistance, Captain?”

Re: CH01: S [D01 | 1200] Ashes to Ashes

Reply #1
[ Captain Ives | Ready Room | Deck 01 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] @P.C. Haring
[Show/Hide]
Walking towards his desk, Jien changed... to her female form, and glanced back towards Hathev when she asked how she might be of assistance.

"Given the alacrity in which we must depart, we will have to contact the Aldean Defence Committé so that we don't burn any bridges behind us," she said and sat down, opening her computer console while adding, "I think that, given the current exchange of research and the patrolling that the Lone Wolves conduct to help the KDF protect the planet from the Syndicate and other opportunists, they would not like the sudden drop in defences. Obviously, we can't leave the Lone Wolves behind, but I think we should offer The Committé all the research we've been able to do in order to help correct the issues in their Gestalt Program. Izar Bila and the Science Department have made leaps towards ensuring the prolonged life of the Gestalts, and it would be remiss of us to not help the Aldean researchers finish what we started when we came here."

Taking a deep breath, she addressed the obvious issue, which was a bit more complicated than just leave-takings. The images of Paris, which she'd seen many times over at that point, still lingered with her.

"If Gorka, son of Margon, has revealed that we've enjoyed the hospitality of the Aldeans this past month, it will have repercussions for them. In the eyes of the Federation, we remain renegade defectors, and with the blame the Praetor has cast upon us for aiding Donatra's rebel fleet, we are still a long way from vindication. In fact, Starfleet Command might make Aldea a target somehow, be it through some manner of boycott or worse. Diplomatic relations between the Federation and the Committé will, of course, worsen, but..."

A faint smile came to Jien's stoic mien, as she glanced out the viewport and looked upon the golden planet side of Aldea - stretching towards the horizon like an ochre field of barley. "It might, ironically, help us, since the Aldeans might just defend themselves with the very truth Chancellor Martok and we know about Starfleet Command. A seed of doubt planted here, nourished to grow over time, if we only can make it take root."

Looking back towards Hathev, Jien shrugged with one shoulder. "So, what's your advise in how we ought to part with the Aldeans?" she asked, but the faint smile faded from her face when she noticed a somewhat subdued air around the woman - the Vulcan whom she'd given the trust to serve in the Senior Staff after she came aboard from the Bellerophon. "Commander?"

Reply #2
[Lt. Cmdr. Hathev | Ready Room | Deck 01 | Vector 01 | U.S.S. Theurgy ] Attn:  @Auctor Lucan

Hathev remained standing as the ready room doors closed behind her. As she had not been invited to sit it would be inappropriate for her to make such a presumption, especially since she had only recently joined the crew and still did not know the Captain as well as she might have liked. On top of that Hathev found herself unnerved at the sight of her captain changing form. She had learned early on that Captain Ives was a shape shifter and logically she accepted that. However, s/he had been the first Hathev had met in person. She had been on Earth during the changeling crisis, and the Dominion War and while she had not intended to cultivate the same fear and mistrust as many around her had, she was still getting used to the sentient being known as Captain Jien Ives.

That matter, however, was irrelevant. Far more pressing matters demanded her attention. Ives’s analysis of the Aldean situation was logically sound, but as she listened, she found she was unable to prioritize this issue in her own mind. Hundreds if not thousands were dead on Earth, her wife likely among them and her commanding officer wanted to tinker with crafting the perfect way to tell the Aldeans the obvious.

Triss was dead and with her, any opportunity to reconcile, repair their relationship, and move forward. They had argued when she left for Starbase 84 and as the words from Triss’s letter came back to her, she found herself regretting how their final conversation had ended.
“Commander?"

Ives’s voice pulled her out of her head and as the awareness of the moment returned to her she felt the sting in her left palm and she felt the blood trickle out from under where her fingernails had dug in. Keeping her left hand closed, she put it behind her back in a manner subtle enough she hoped the Captain had not noticed the injury.

It took her only a couple of seconds to replay the Captains analysis in her head and draw her own conclusions.

“I..” she started but stopped as her voice caught. She swallowed and tried again.

“I would advise a direct honesty with the Aldeans, Captain,” she started. “They have put themselves in jeopardy by offering us this refuge and to show any sign of deception in return would not only be illogical but be discourteous on our part. That said, I would moderate that honestly with discretion and give them only as much as they need to know without being disingenuous. The more intelligence they have about our whereabouts and intentions, the greater their risk should questions arise.”  She paused for a moment before moving on. “Although you did not ask, I find your decision to share our ongoing research with them to be of sound logic, especially if they will accept it as a form of indirect compensation for the hospitality, they have shown us and the resources they have expended to repair and refit Theurgy.”

“Although I am not an expert on such matters, and I defer to the judgment of Mister Cross on the matter, I do not share your concern over Aldean security matters. While I agree that the draw down of the Lone Wolf squadron, and our departure will be more rapid than we had intended, it is no less inevitable. It would be illogical to assume they would not be prepared for our forces to stand down in supplementing their defense. Further, I would posit that Starfleet will not focus too heavily on Aldea. Currently, Starfleet is preparing to go to war with Romulus in response to the Paris bombing,” she paused as her voice waivered again, “and the subsequent declaration of war. Given our knowledge that Starfleet is compromised by parasites, and our belief that Praetor Tal-Aura is similarly compromised, it is reasonable to presume that the parasites control the course of the war from both sides. Given their stated objective as the destruction of the civilized galaxy, it is in their best interest to control the war as they do to assure maximum damage to both parties. Ergo, it would be logical to conclude they will not risk a conflict with the Klingons until or unless they could be assured of their ability to control its outcome which will not occur until or unless they infiltrate the High Council.”

She stopped there, realizing she had possibly gone on too long with her analysis and quite likely had overstepped her bounds and expertise.

“My apologies, Captain. I seem to have strayed off topic.”

(OOC - Made a minor edit to clarify Hathev's comments on the exchange of information with the Aldeans as we depart.)

Reply #3
[Show/Hide]
When Hathev apologised, Jien gestured in a dismissive manner, not minding the direct trajectory of her musings.

"That's quite all right, counselor," she said, and while she acknowledged how the Commander remained standing and came off... more rigid than she usually was, Jien didn't linger on the notion. "So, indeed, we'll not deceive the Aldeans, but it's quite right that it's a matter of mission integrity that we'll not divulge our destination. It could, however, be that Martok's officers reveal this anyway, but be that as it may, there is no reason for us to spread about that we'll be carrying the Counsellor to Qo'noS. Given the bombastic manner of Klingon politics, it might actually serve Martok if everyone knew he'll be heading to Qo'noS and deal with Gorka's insurrection. In any case, it's not a big issue. I am glad you see the merit in handing over our unfinished research as well."

Then, Ives addressed an issue that wasn't as clear cut, looking out at the planet's horizon outside the viewport. "It might not be so illogical, however, that our withdrawal might put the Aldean defensive perimeter in the Epsilon Mynos System at risk, because Martok already stretched the Klingon forces thin by addressing the Borg threat in the Azure Nebula. A lot of Houses stood by him at the apertures, leaving the present KDF forces here wanting, so our support did have a great significance before Martok arrived here. Now, he's leaving once more, so it could be the Aldeans will be left a bit more vulnerable again."

The most poignant matter, of course, was the Infested, and what they might do next. Moreover, what they had already done whilst Thea underwent her refit.

"There was already an Infested serving close to Martok, sharing a bridge with him on the IKC Rotarran," she commented after some thought, thinking about how his old friend had told him that his weapons officer had attacked him whilst they fought the Borg Queen, but that at the cost of many other bridge officers, the Infested had been vaporised by disruptor fire. "That, however, does not preclude the possibility that there might be another one. Be it on Qo'noS, or be it Gorka himself. If they have had the opportunity, it would make sense that they would seek to secure political power and influence here in the Beta Quadrant as well. I cannot shake the feeling that the Infested might be involved in this development as well. How that might be, I am unsure."

Frowning, Jien looked towards the desk, thinking about the Doctor and the revelation he'd provided in regard to the Praetor.

"At some point, before we reach Qo'noS, it could serve the mission to ask Doctor Nicander once more, if he can determine if there are any Infested awaiting us at our destination. The complication, however, is that I don't know how many times Nicander can use his abilities to spy on the enemy... before he looses his mind completely, and the transphasic light cannon might not restore him any more."

It was a gamble, using the Doctor's farsight, and the risk wasn't just to the Câroon's mental health, but the mission as a whole. For as far as she'd understood, all of the Infested could see through his eyes as clearly as he could see through theirs.

Reply #4
[Lt. Cmdr. Hathev | Ready Room | Deck 01 | Vector 01 | U.S.S. Theurgy ] Attn: @Auctor Lucan 

Hathev shifted her weight as she remained standing.  A part of her wished to sit, almost needed to sit while she processed everything that ad occurred.   However, the Captain had not invited her to do so and thus any attempt to take a seat would be inappropriate. 

Captain Ives disagreed with her analysis over the Aldean defense network.  His logic was sound, but so too was hers.  However, she was the captain, and to a certain extent she would concede the point.

“True though that may be, Captain, as you stated yourself, leaving our squadron behind is not an option.   To that end, the Aldeans ought not be surprised by this inevitable development.”  She fought to press the frustration down.  “Granted, the timing is inconvenient to them.  But that does not change the inevitability.”

She paused. 

“Still,” she sighed.  “As I said before, Captain, I defer to the expertise of Mister Cross.”

As Ives went over her thoughts regarding the Klingons political issues, she mulled it over.  Politics, unlike tactical strategy, was a topic with which she was more familiar and could speak with a bit more authority.   As Ives spoke, Hathev found similarities between this situation and an event from several years back.

“Regarding the Klingons, Captain.  With due respect, it’s possible you may be over thinking the situation with them.  Putting the politics aside for a moment, the issue of parasites infesting the Klingon ranks reminds me of a similar situation.  Towards the end of the Federation Klingon war of 2372-2373, Captain Benjamin Sisko acted on intelligence that a changeling had infiltrated the Klingon Empire and led a covert team to expose the same.   Although they had the wrong target, they were successful in exposing the spy and once successful, the Klingons dispatched their enemy with their usual level of aggression.  Suffice to say the intruder did not survive long.”

She paused.  

“I offer this as precedent.  While it is politically preferable that Chancelor Martok retain control of the High Council, I believe that regardless, if we can provide the empire with irrefutable evidence of parasitic infiltration and provide the Empire with the means to detect them, they will handle their infestation problem for themselves.   To a Klingon nothing is more dishonorable than to be a spy.”

“As to Doctor Nicander, I would advise restraint.   While it would be preferable to have the foresight and intelligence that could be provided, as you say using his abilities to spy comes at great risk to himself and could end up causing more harm than good.  If using that ability damages his mind, it could potentially run afoul of regulations regarding the ethical treatment of prisoners aboard ship.  Even if he believes he is doing so of his own free will, the nature of cause and effect and his ongoing confinement may imply coercion in this matter.”

Her voice wavered, almost breaking as something else invaded her thoughts.

Cause and effect, she mused.   Did I rob you of your free will, Triss?  Did I seal your fate when I left for Starbase 84?  Was I the cause of your move to Paris?  Did my choice have the effect of forcing yours?  Am I indirectly responsible for your death?

She knew it was illogical, irrational.  But she could not force the thought from her mind.

Reply #5
[Show/Hide]
Nodding, Jien glanced towards Hathev, yet her mind was still on the images from Earth. The only reason why her outrage wasn't as immediate was because she'd witnessed the atrocity committed by the Infested Praetor earlier than the Vulcan had. Once more, Jien considered how Hathev didn't seem her usual self, but the conversation didn't invite for asking how she were just yet.

"Agreed, the highest priority is to both convince all Klingon Houses that the threat of the Infested is quite real, and also provide them the means we have now - as well as any more we might find - to both detect and deal with them." Jien gestured invitingly towards the seat on the other side of the desk, since Hathev seemed ill at ease, but Jien couldn't quite be sure.

"Unfortunately, as you know, we don't possess the means to free the hosts from their parasites just yet. The anyon emissions kill both, and while we have compunctions about killing officers whom might actually be saved, Klingons might have a more direct approach in regard to alien infiltrators. Therefore, my hope remains that Vael Kaeris makes a breakthrough in his research about adapting a secondary containment beam with the phase variance that the parasites inhabit, and can successfully transport them out of their hosts. It would be the ideal means in which we could save the lives of those in Starfleet Command, as well as all other hosts out there."

And that, of course, led to the delicate topic of Nicander and the dark waters in which they had to navigate between mission priority, selfless sacrifice, and the manner in which it might seem his services were a product of coercion.

"Agreed, his abilities, while advantageous, should not be of casual use. In terms of perceived coercion..." Jien gave it some brief thought, "I believe that as long as there is transparency amongst Senior Staff and Security in regard to his treatment, that facet of the situation shouldn't be too much of an issue. The challenge is that, while Nicander has shown himself genuinely wanting to help, proven himself cooperative and in control of the parasite inside, there are still officers aboard who let their fear of the enemy affect their opinion of him. This, both high ranking officers and low. Worse yet, they attribute the atrocious acts he committed while under possession to the host himself, unable to separate the two."

Frowning, Jien looked towards the desk, reminded suddenly about her thoughts about Nicander's involvement when it came to Nicole Howard's death. Something which had proven false. "In the beginning of the time here at Aldea, I might have shared in those sentiments, but the more we learn, the more we are reminded that Starfleet officers can't give in to unfounded paranoia. It was a good thing that we decided in the Senior Staff that he could have visitors, and as ready as he is to fulfil his duties as an officer even in his incarceration - putting his life and sanity on the line for the mission - it is our responsibility to not exploit his trust in our judgement."

Pausing, Jien felt she had to ask the obvious. "How are you faring, Commander?"

Re: CH01: S [D01|1200] Ashes to Ashes

Reply #6
[Lt. Cmdr. Hathev  & Captain Ives | Ready Room | Deck 01 | Vector 01 | U.S.S. TheurgyJoint Post between @Auctor Lucan  & P.C. Haring

Hathev hesitated, unsure of what to tell Ives.  It was not in her nature to lie, especially to her commanding officer.  But how much was private and what was she obligated to disclose.  Should she tell her captain what she felt?

Why didn't I tell you how I felt when I had the chance, Triss?

She took a breath.

"I am not faring as well as one might expect, Captain.  I have reason to believe that my estranged wife was in Paris.  The news is producing a stronger than expected emotional response."

As she remained standing, she could only hope Ives would not ask about the full extent of her emotional reaction.

In hearing that Hathev may have lost her wife in the Paris attack, Jien immediately rose to her feet and walked around the desk. "Oh, no. I'm sorry," she said, going to the Vulcan's side. Knowing Hathev might have the traditionally Vulcan aversion towards touch, she didn't raise a hand to put it on her shoulder in a very human gesture of comfort. Instead, she gestured towards the chair again, prompting Hathev to sit. This, at least, might help somewhat given the enormity of what might have happened to her. "Please, take a moment. Can I get you anything?"

The wall-mounted replicator was not far away, and Jien hoped there was something Hathev could use to still her nerves. While Jien had no close relatives beyond the leading figures in the Ives-Petain Experiment, she had plenty of experience with losses of close friends and officers. Having lost a lover to the Calamity quite recently, she still had no idea what it was like to loose a wife.

At the invitation of the Captain, Hathev took a seat.

“Thank you, Ma’am.  A hot Vulcan tea would be appreciated.”

She was not entirely sure why she had requested a tea.  Her preferred beverage was usually a coffee, but for some reason the tea was what called to her.

You always called yourself a ‘Tea Totaler’, Triss

“I must confess, that I can not be certain of Triss’s fate. Before the battle at the Azure Nebula, I received a message from her informing me she was moving to Paris with the intent of starting a rigorous professional training fellowship the following week.    The logical conclusion is that she was killed in the attack.  However I can not know for certain until we are able to obtain the casualty report, which I know may not be for some time.”

Listening while she went to replicate the tea for Hathev, Jien was relieved to hear that it could still be a chance that the Vulcan's wife had made it. Logic aside, her life might not be lost - fate uncertain.

"Well," she said and gave Hathev the tea. "Logic might not be the companion you need in this moment, since it will help you little. Instead, I think you should focus on that uncertainty that you mentioned. By extension, that uncertainty is the same as something more rewarding."

Leaning against the edge of the desk, Jien continued in a quiet voice. "It's hope," she said, and folded her arms below her chest. "Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear, as well as the time ahead. In fact, I have found that hope is best gained after defeat and failure, because then... it helps you find inner strength. So, let the uncertainty be your companion, until you know more, for by then you may have found enough strength to bear any ill news."

"Thank you, Captain," Hathev replied as she took the tea.

She sipped it as she spoke of hope and the failure of logic.  It sounded like something... a ship's counselor might say.  Such an irrational construct hope, as if the sheer will of desire on the part of a person could somehow influence or change events that had already occurred.

“Hope,” she admitted, “It’s very nature as an emotional construct defies logic and rational thought.  For a Vulcan to ‘hope’ would be counter to our nature.”

She took another sip of her tea as she considered Ives’s words.  There was more to tell her, Hathev knew and she wondered if this was the best moment to do so.  Was it too soon to tell her as she lacked enough information to give a full picture to the Captain?  Was it too late to tell her?  If she delayed any longer would it change anything?

“In my personal case, however, that might be more realistic than one might imagine.”

Her voice wavered as for the first time in her adult life, she felt fear and trepidation.  How would telling her be reacted?

“Captain, given the circumstances I must also inform you I am experiencing symptoms of an emotional transference.  During our layover at Aldea, I engaged in a mind meld with a patient.  This meld was intended for therapeutic purposes and while it was successful for the patient in question, I was unprepared for the intensity of the patient’s emotions.  There was,” she paused as she searched for the correct word, “a ‘backlash’ of sorts that has left it more difficult than usual to properly suppress my emotional responses.”

Hearing this, the immediate concern was, of course, how serious the affliction was.

"I see. I am sorry to hear about this accident," she said, a worried frown creasing her brow. "Given that you remain on duty, and have not - to my knowledge - sought medical attention, I am assuming that the emotional responses have been manageable so far?"

Jien had no doubt that if matters were of the nature that it could impede Hathev conducting her duties, the logical response - for her - would have been to ask for a temporary leave of absence so that she might find the time and opportunity to recover.

Hathev took a sip of her tea, grateful…yes grateful that the Captain’s first instinct was not to try and relieve her of duty.  She had been on board barely a month now and the captain was displaying a very high level of trust in her.  In part that had been why she had waited as long as she had to inform hir of the situation.  In her experience most would be quick to relieve a Vulcan of duty without gathering all of the information.  True for many Vulcans, the embrace of emotion could have physiological issues, but throughout Vulcan history there had always been those individuals who had chosen to reject the kholinar and embrace their emotional side.

“Thus far, Captain, I have been able to manage.  However, given the added stress of the attack, and given how much Triss,” she paused and hesitated, “meant to me, I suspect it could get more difficult.  That said, I do not know the long-term outcome of this.  In most cases, emotional transference diminishes in a Vulcan after just a few hours.  In my case it has been almost three weeks.  There is a possibility that my ability to exert complete emotional repression may have been permanently damaged.”

She took another sip.  “Regardless, should things deteriorate beyond my ability to control or should I pose a danger to the crew, you have my word I will seek immediate medical attention and, if necessary, advise you to remove me from duty.”

Nodding, Jien was glad to hear she had a sound take on her own situation.

"I suspect it might prove disconcerting to you, having led your life with more control of your emotions," she said and walked to seat herself by her desk once more. "Even if this might be a permanent change for you, I think these past three weeks are a testament that you actually can carry out your duties while still having less of a reign on your emotions. Granted, I do not know how taxing it is for you, but in regard to how the Counseling Department is faring, I see no concerns."

Adjusting her sleeves where she sat, she added the obvious. "Let's see how you fare in the long run, but please understand that I will not hold it against you if you feel like you need to step away for a while. I am not saying these three weeks proves you should be able to handle it, dismissing your condition, so please, be mindful about your health and well-being. Sometimes, it is easy to forget when the stakes of the mission weighs on our collective shoulders."

Hathev took another sip of her tea.  There was logic in her comments and the sentiment rang eerily similar to counseling Hathev might offer to one of her patients in similar circumstances.  Yet, as a member of the senior staff on a ship cut off from reliable support, it was not only logical but necessary that she hold herself to a higher standard.  Could she dare to 'hope'?  Could she convince herself Triss might still be alive in defiance of all logic and practical reason?  She had no idea.

"Again, I thank you, Captain, and I..." her voice faltered as she hunted for the right word.  "I appreciate your willingness to accommodate should the need arise.   That said, please understand my desire to remain on duty.  Given our circumstances, the need for every member of this crew to perform their duty is paramount.  While I will make sure I have addressed my own physical and mental health needs, I wish to convey my assurances to you that, despite my personal circumstances, you can still rely upon me.  I do not take lightly the faith and trust you have placed in me."

Reply #7
[Show/Hide]
Nodding with a faint smile, Jien inclined her head. "I have never doubted you so far," she said, remembering the olive branch she had extended to the Vulcan when they had reached Aldea, and the manner in which Hathev had applied herself since, "and I am not about to start now, because you have been able to carry on despite your personal discomfort."

Shore leave was coming to an end, however, with the development on Earth, and the ambition to bring Martok to Qo'noS so that the current leadership of the Klingon Empire could be secured. Given how Martok had fought and believed in the Infested, a change in leadership was in the interest of their common enemy. All to suppress the truth, and since they left Earth in the end of last year, that had been the mission for the Theurgy: to make sure the truth was given a voice.

Now, chances were that the entirety of the Empire could scream that truth alongside with the Theurgy, and as dangerous as it might be for stability in the Federation, the alternative was to try and fight an invisible foe that held all the sway and power in the Quadrants. A foe, that sought to end everything, by offering it to a darkness beyond the stars.

"Let's compile what we ought to say, and write up the messages. Our mission resumes today, with allies at our side."

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder