Skip to main content
Topic: PRO: S [D01|1045] A Sweaty Start (Read 2052 times) previous topic - next topic

PRO: S [D01|1045] A Sweaty Start

[Lt. Kaylon Jeen | Deck 6 | Public Baths | USS Theurgy] @Elaurianpaladin
[Show/Hide]

The last couple of weeks were less stressful than Kaylon had expected them to become. The number of new crewmembers among the Theurgy has risen now with every day and especially the senior stuff got one or two new faces among them. No matter if it was the new Assistant Chief or some new Intelligence officers they all came no second to late to the Theurgy. For Kaylon this meant in first place that there were now some others that could take care of coordinating crewmen and repairs of Vector one. Not that he wouldn’t take care of it if the Captain or the Lt. Cmdr would request him to do so and actually Blue had more or less taken care of it before. But still he had to spend a lot more time coordinating it than he wanted to (the most of it outside of his normal shift) and every hour Kaylon had to spend for something else than work was something he wouldn’t refuse to get. Therefore the Trill has planed to spent this day at the public baths not that he was much of a swimmer or liked the jacuzzis, the reason for him to visit the baths was to use the steam room. From what he heard this place was wonderful to wind down a little bit. ‘Simply sweat out whatever annoyed you before’ Let’s see if this Cadet Wu was right and if not let’s see how many plasma conduits he can clean.

As Kaylon walked out of the locker room he saw some crewmembers around the grand pool, the most of them either talked to each other or swam their laps. It was still an absurd thing for Kaylon that some crewmember used the public baths on the Theurgy like a beach, under normal circumstances it was already stupid since Starfleet ships have a damn holodeck where you could create a beach, but right now they’re orbiting a planet with a real beach would be. Why didn’t they use their leaves for this? But nonetheless they were free to use this room however they wanted and at least it seemed like the most swimmers weren’t really limited by their presence. Kaylon decided to ignore them and made his way up to the steam rooms. On that way he spotted some engineering crewmembers in the central jacuzzi and after the Lieutenant passed them he saw the steam room. Well at least he saw the glass door of it, but since it was a glass door he had already seen what’s behind it or more precisely who's not. Surprisingly for the Trill the steam room was empty. It seemed like he was the only one of the crew that thought about taking some relaxing time in this chamber.

The room itself was completely log-built with some sitting positions arranged like stairs and in the middle of the place was a modern heating unit and right next to it a water bucket. Kaylon had no real idea why this bucket was placed there but the ladle in it implied that it had definitely some use.

The Trill moved over to one of the wooden planks and with a little stretch he lay down on it. With the towel around his hip, he felt a little bit less comfortable in this wet atmosphere than if he wouldn't wear anything, but since he knew the rules said either a towel or some sort of swimsuit, the option of using this piece of cloth was definitely better than the alternative of wearing a freaking bathers. After some moments in this strange situation the door opened again. Unfortunately Kaylon laid right next to the door and couldn’t see who was going to enter the room, but whoever it was the Trill decided to briefly check that the towel hasn’t slipped away without him noticing it. The last thing he wanted was an official complaint about the Assistant Chief, particularly for some sort sexual harassment.
[PO2 T’Kolla]
[Show/Hide]

Oh and if there's anything fundamentally wrong with the text above, then please don't hesitate to point it out to me.

Re: PRO: S [D01|1045] A Sweaty Start

Reply #1
[Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Deck 6 | Public Baths | USS Theurgy] @DaValle

The jacuzzi was soothing to Tyreke, who had been hunched over a science station for 12 hours previously. Since several of the engineering crewmen saw Tyreke working on a console in Engineering, there was a discussion about that he was doing there.

The truth was he had been working on synthetic delivery systems for medical purposes, but it had an even larger purpose: A potential vaccination against Borg assimilation techniques. Had begun the work, but a breakthrough had eluded him so far. The adaptability routines of the Borg could not be thwarted. They would adapt, it was just a question of when and how. The answer had to be more... how could their own adaptability be turned into a defense? There was such a thing as a maladaptive evolution. How could that concept be extrapolated upon?

Tyreke stepped out and walked towards the locker rooms, somewhat lost in his thoughts.

Reply #2
[Show/Hide]

The person who apparently entered the steam rooms was Ensign zh’Ron, a young female andorian engineering Officer. As she went in the through the door, the first thing Kaylon could spot was her blue hand followed by the, also with a towel covered, rest of her body. Seemed like Kaylon wasn’t the only one who didn’t like the idea of wearing trunks. At least in the steam room such kind of textile could become very uncomfortable. The Ensign hadn’t obviously recognized that there was someone else or to be more specific her direct superior was laying in the room too, as she was going to unloosen her towel. Kaylon had no clue what exactly the Ensign was planing there, but whatever it was he decided that he should better be safe than sorry in this measure. The Trill coughed plainly audible with a view to signal the Andorian that he was there too. Even though he did it to make sure any incidents could be avoided the reaction of the zh’Ron was probably not the smartest. Completely surprised by his presence, the Ensign turned around forgetting that she has made the towel loose. While she turned toward Kaylon the last grip that hold the towel at her body began to loosening.

It was an awkward and stupid situation now. As her superior Kaylon had to react as professional as he could, but only ‘cause his uniform had some more stripes didn’t meant he knew how to react really professional on a situation like this. After some short moments that felt like an eternity for either of the Officers in the steam room Kaylon were finally able to react in an, at least in his opinion, appropriated way. Kaylon almost sprung up from the bench he laid on before, meanwhile the other Officer picked up her towel and tried to cover herself as good as possible. “Okay… err… that’s an embarrassing situation for both of us and if you don’t mind, I would simply go.” He made an attempt to get to the door. The last thing he want now was some kind of awkward situation where he and she would sat there in cringe silence. However before he reached the door the Ensign has obviously recovered from the shock. “Sir, I… I hope… I mean...”

Kaylon was pretty aware what the Ensign was probably trying to say here. “Well, Ensign, how about we both forget this incident and I simply go out?”

Visibly relieved by the suggestion of her superior the Andorian simply nodded and stepped aside to let Kaylon pass. After he went out of the steam room Kaylon recognized that Lt. Tyreke was here too. The other Lieutenant was currently moving toward the locker room. Actually Kaylon didn’t really know Tyreke, but he had to sign some formulas earlier that someone from the science department needed access to the engineering consoles. He didn’t quite remember what exactly was it that Tyreke worked on but he still had the name in his head.

So while he was anyhow walking to the same spot Tyreke did, he could also talk with him. At least he wouldn’t probably loose his trunks while they were talking. He sprinted a little bit to intercept the scientist on his way. “Hey there. I’ve heard you have worked at the engineering. I’m Kaylon the assistant Chief.” he offered the man his hand and added: “I hope the other engineers haven’t given you too much trouble while you did… whatever it was that you did again.”
[PO2 T’Kolla]
[Show/Hide]

Oh and if there's anything fundamentally wrong with the text above, then please don't hesitate to point it out to me.

Reply #3
The Lieutenant saw the chief walk up. He looked familiar, but he couldn't place his face. It concerned him slightly. He always had a good memory in the past. Perhaps the events of the last few weeks had weighed harder on him than he anticipated. That by itself was disconcerting.

Tyreke nodded with a pleasant expression. "Good to meet you Kaylon. Tyreke, nice to meet you. Yes, the engineering staff was very helpful on my project. I am working on nantechnology medication delivery systems. In order to program the devices, the processing power of the main computer is required. The compiling protocols have to be very meticulous in order to fit all the instructions on such a tiny series of devices."

Tyreke chuckled. "Here I am going on and on about this science. Nanotechnology has recently become something of a passion for me. Our recent encounters... not to mention the entire nature of why we're out here, has really pushed me to consider new and different approaches to dealing with both threats and healing. Oh, I have some pretty extensive theories on rotating shield harmonics for use in both propulsion and defense if you're ever interested."

Tyreke's easy demeanor worked well in this situation. Kylon was just making friendly conversation. He didn't need the specifics. There was an uneasiness hidden underneath. Would there be any concerns if it became clear that these "medical" devices could be weaponized as anti-borg weapons? He didn't think so. After all, why would the leadership of the Theurgy have any issues with being MORE prepared to encounter the collective next time?

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]

Well that was a long greeting. Kaylon definitely didn’t expect this Lieutenant to be such a jabber-box. He may have been a little bit nervous or so, even though Kaylon didn’t really figure out why, but that introduction of him was quite long. The information came with a frequency that Kaylon couldn’t completely catch them all. At least he got one. The nanotechnology medicine thing. It wasn’t any kind of bad idea, but Kaylon couldn’t resit the temptation of hoaxing Tyreke a little bit on this one. It was maybe not the most senior kind attitude of him, but he simply relished those little jokes too much to restrain now.

“Oh so you’re planing to assimilate us all?” He said the next in his best Borg voice. “Resistance is unhealthy.” Kaylon smirked briefly and then continued. “But anyhow it’s fine we’ve got someone who’s working on it cause’ the last thing I want to have is that we’ll have our next ‘encounter’ with our pants down.”

He gave the scientist some time to react and then asked him more interested about this shield/propulsion theories. It was either trash and a time waste or another benefit that could one day save their asses. “I hope this theories you have about the shield harmonics are as good as you say they are. So tell me what do you had in mind?”

Kaylon didn’t want to be rude, but the last thing he needed down at engineering was another half finished theory he needed to check through if it would actually work. Somehow, nonetheless, Kaylon had the impression of Tyreke being a competent person and if that would be true the ideas of the man could prove to be quite handy in the future.
[PO2 T’Kolla]
[Show/Hide]

Reply #5
There was a pause, then Tyreke started to chuckle. "Well played, sir, well played."

Tyreke looked visibly relieved at Kaylon's reaction. His goals of  defenses against the collective had started to invade his waking thoughts. It had the real opportunity to become unhealthy... but being able to share some of these concepts would be helpful in both getting them adopted by the ship and systems, and keep the unhealthy components of everything at bay.

"I've been looking at the theories of Quantum Slipstream and Coaxial Warp Drive concepts. The fundamental core problems with the employ of both theories comes down to calibration and strain. While they manifest in two separate ways, the problems are the same and corrected the same way."

He pulled a PADD out of his bag to illustrate his points. "In the initial attempts of use for Quantum Slipstream, the quantum shear from drift would damage the starship before stable slipstream could be achieved. The StarFleet engineering corp as well as the Chief Engineer at the time concluded that a more precise travel through slipstream would be the answer. Unfortunately, the nature of slipstream travel, with the currents and graviton distortions through the tunnel, make that impossible. Coaxial warp drive has the same problems... except more focused on the ship itself. Because entire sections of subspace are continually folded, the strain on a ship is exponential."

He tapped the padd. "The borg in their initial encounters with the Enterprise-D used subspace fields to adjust and adapt to the Starship weapons. Since subspace fields can be overlayed on top of each other. The theory is to leverage the same principle for the Warp engines. "The shield array would read the subspace adaptations and then could be leveraged to compensate. This could be employed for defensive systems... as the forementioned shield harmonics, or in the warp engines, allowing for an increased output, allowing structural integrity to compensate for the field strains at high warp speeds. In our conventional engine, it could give us at least a 15% increase under less than ideal circumstances."

Reply #6
[Show/Hide]

Kaylon has definitely not thought that Tyreke would gave a lecture, but fortunately for Tyreke the Trill knew a point or two about propulsion and wasn’t too uninformed about shield tech either. The most other crewmember would… well at least Blue wouldn’t care about this new idea after such kind of presentation, but Kaylon didn’t shared her don’t-give-shit attitude. He listened carefully to Tyreke’s words and already knew what Tyreke wanted to show him before he even tapped on his PADD. Borg-tech and its possible usage for Starfleet ships was one of the Academy’s sub-lessons during his training. Not that there was much data about them till he graduated, but the shield frequency was something that still rang a bell in his head. Maybe they’ve thought about boosting the shield strength during combats with rapidly adjusting shield frequencies, but there was no example for a use of this for any propulsion system, yet. There’s still time to change this.

As Tyreke finished his presentation Kaylon needed some seconds to order his thoughts to give him an appropriate answer. “There are still some little flaws that should be solved before I can think about presenting this to Blue. First, to change the shield frequencies rapidly we would need a loot of energy for the shield emitter. One of the mayor reasons Starfleet never actually used the idea aboard starships. The most of our conduits wouldn’t last under such immense pressure and even if they would we would need to drain energy from other ship systems during this time and as long as you and can’t afford to abstain from breathing the ship systems in this matter would be the weapons. So yes, we would have gain a huge advantage in defensive methods, but we would have also lost a not too insignificant percentage of our fire power. In the end it would be even steven which option we’re using.” He stopped for a brief moment. There’s nothing more annoying than someone who just looked at your project and told you after some seconds how unnecessary he considered it to be.

“But to come to the second point. The idea of using the adjusting for warp travel is something, by far more interesting thought. Even warp factors above 9.3 are challenging for our integrity fields. If we could reduce the strain for the fields we could fly a little bit longer with higher warp factors. This time we could drain the energy from not so important systems, but that would mean our systems would have to reboot completely as soon as we came out of warp. I have to admit I don’t know how long it would take to completely reboot the battle necessary systems, but if there would be anyone who expected us when we left the warp they could easily disable our systems for good. The other problem is that standard Federation deflector arrays are not able to change their frequency fast enough to counter the subspace circumstances. We would need to use all three ship deflectors to compensate them.”
[PO2 T’Kolla]
[Show/Hide]

Reply #7

Tyreke nodded, considering the words of the Trill. The conduit lining wasn’t something he’d considered, especially considering the EPS systems he was most familiar with were Cardassian, from Deep Space Nine, or Bajorian, from his time on the planet surface. The conduits borrowed from the Federation were scaled for large stationary systems, rather than the faster, more flexible ones for Starship operations.

Warp speed was something of a wonder for Tyreke. In retrospect, he wasn’t sure why he didn’t become an engineer… since so much of his biological science resume has moved more into the duality of bio-science and synthetics. Still, warp theory was much like any bio-mechanism… there is an ebb and flow, like a pulse, keeping the system going. Thinking about it in those terms really helped keep your eye on the goal of warp field stability.

“I had a thought around the deflector arrays. The harmonics are not easy to address in its normal configuration, sure,” he pressed a few keys on the PADD. “The radial foci would need to be changed in order to compensation for the change is integrity field frequency. This is not something that could be done on the fly, but with a minor refit, and a little luck, you wouldn’t need all three navigation arrays. I agree this is definitely not ready to speak to leadership about yet… I haven’t even done extensive holodeck simulations yet. I was actually considering doing that today, while we have a little downtime. Is that something you’d be interested in consulting on?”

Reply #8
[Show/Hide]

Kaylon’s mood cheered up again a little bit as the scientist asked if he wanted to test his new theories. It was definitely something worth his time and if it would work it would spare them a lot of time since Kaylon was anyhow the one who had to test new propulsion schematics before they got integrated in the ship’s systems. In the end he was the second in command and actually first if it was about the warp core. “Hell yeah, I’m up for this. There’s no better way to figure out if something is worth the time or not than testing it a little bit.”

Kaylon laughed up and added. “Oh, but to make this clear. I’m leadership in that matter. If there is something about the Warp Core, then it has to pass me first.” Kaylon really appreciated that he had met the scientist. They had a tight repair plan and he actually hadn’t had the time to check such specifications if it wasn’t for the fact that the new co-assistant Chief wouldn’t do such an incredible work. It spared him so many hours to have another capable Officer down there that he could have taken the day off. Well now he was using the gained time to check this new schematics, but since he wouldn’t want to go back in the steam room anyhow, there wasn’t anything he lost by doing this.

“I guess making those simulations in nothing more than a towel could get quite uncomfortable.” Kaylon went on to the next locker room and waited for the scientist to follow him there. While they went to the lockers Kaylon asked the scientist something more about his new theories. “Tell me, how did you came up with the general idea of using Borg-tech for our systems? Was it just a random idea or something you’ve planed a longer time ago?”
[PO2 T’Kolla]
[Show/Hide]

Reply #9
Tyreke nodded, “Completely understand, I defer to your leadership,” he smiled. Credit was not something he was particularly interested in when it came to this kind of work. The challenge of it… figured out what to do and how to marry up the science and the engineering were really where his interest was. Not to mention contributing something tangible to the safety of the ship.

Tyreke followed as Kaylon walked over to the lockers. “Several years ago I was stationed on Bajor. The starship assigned to protect the planet and adjacent space station was heavily damaged in fleet actions against the Borg when a cube attempted to take Earth. We were part of the survey party assigned from the Starfleet Corp to help repair the ship.”

He paused as he collected his thoughts. “The Defiant thankfully did not have any Borg equipment assimilated into the hull, but there were plenty of energy remnants throughout the ship and shield grid. The way the energy of the Borg plasma weapons interacted with the energy gird, specifically when the shields were down, was something I made note of. I booked it away and went on to other things.”

He nodded as Kaylon got ready. “It just kind of hit me recently. With a renewed interest in bettering Theurgy’s options, I pulled out my notes from that encounter. The energy readings were still very fresh at the time, and though the Borg no-doubt have adapted since then. There is plenty we can learn from simulations.”

Reply #10
[Show/Hide]

Kaylon listened carefully as the other Lieutenant talked about his encounter with the Borgs. Being a part of a repair team at any place the Borg have rampaged their way trough was nothing funny. They were by their nature not really keen to the idea of being merciful. Kaylon himself was only once at a place where the Borg massacred a ship and any resistance aboard it. He somehow admired the other Officer for being able to concentrate even in such a scene on the usable technology the Borg left behind. But maybe Kaylon was just interpreting his own experience in the story the other Lieutenant told him. Maybe Tyreke has never seen any massacre. Who knows, the point was that the new schemes Tyreke talked about could be useful and therefore something Kaylon should turn his attention towards.

Then Tyreke explained why he has remembered this technology right now and for Kaylon this was a completely understandable reason. He himself has thought about some ship upgrades every now and then, but then again he was a little bit to occupied with repairing the ship and taking care of some new faces aboard the Theurgy. “I’m pretty sure we can learn at least something from the simulations so our time wouldn’t be completely wasted when we’re going to...”

The both were interrupted by the loud sounding of the alert. Kaylon glanced over to a console at the wall and spotted the yellow alert message showing up on it. Apparently something huge must have happened and the Assistant Chief should better stay at the main engines than running around at the public baths in… damn it… in nothing else than a towel around his hips. Now he had to get everyone out of the baths. “Listen every engineer here has ten minutes to get down to the main engines or I’ll let you all clean the Plasma conduits for the next month.” He turned his head around to see how many other departments were here too. Then he gave further instructions for them. “The Ops. Here, you’re going to help us down in the engines if you’re not receiving any other instructions from Lt. Commander Stark.” it would maybe not look so silly if he would at least wore not a pink and green striped towel, but who could have thought that a simple visit of the baths would end in a yellow alert.
[PO2 T’Kolla]
[Show/Hide]

Reply #11

Tyreke heard the klaxon as well and was promoted also into action. “Looks like our simulations are going to have to wait.” He said with a wry smile. “Good talking to you. Be safe getting back to Engineering.”

Tyreke made sure his uniform was straight as he left the baths and went forward back towards his station in the science unit. With so much of his time being spent in engineering lately, he sometimes forgot that his focus was there. Perhaps if they ever made it made home, and were exonerated, he may want to suggest a transfer over to engineering. It seemed like that’s where his passions were moving anyway.

Tyreke’s station was right where he left it. He powered up the systems and logged into the terminal, ready to support and operational scans would be required for his unit. He kept the pads he shared with Kaylon with him, hoping that he would have the opportunity to test out some of his design principles at his next time in the holodeck.

Despite all of the urgency he was glad to have met Kaylon. The officer possessed a keen mind and a sharp focus when it came to his field of study. He sincerely hoped that he would cross paths with him again... hopefully without Klaxons blaring.

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder