Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [1730 hrs.] Activities and Meditation (Read 3555 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [1730 hrs.] Activities and Meditation

[Ens Cameron Henshaw | Holodeck | Deck 08 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @StarDuster

The message of the Botanist had surprised Cameron as she made her way over to the holodecks on Deck 08. She was unsure why Cir'Cie wanted to talk with her or perform any activity with her on the holodeck as they had met occasionally here and there yet never had a real actual conversation. The message she received mentioned to bring yoga clothing and the needed attributes for that. Thus Henshaw was walking through the corridors in a well fitting yoga pants and with a tank top covered by her uniform jacket. Under her left arm she had the rolled up yoga mat. Her hair was tied up in a pony tail as it swayed from the left to the right before she arrived at the designated holodeck.

She entered the code as it was a private session and the doors opened. She stepped inside and the doors shut behind her. The program hadn't loaded yet and Cameron walked further in till she stopped in the middle of the room. Se placed the mat down on the floor as she undid the jacket and folded it neatly on the mat. Cir'Cie was already present and Cameron smiled faintly "You've called for my presence Cir'Cie?" she asked as she placed her hands in her sides. "It's not a daily request to be called for a partner while ding Yoga." she smiled as she wondered what kind of program she'd start up for the session.

Re: Day 02 [1730 hrs.] Activities and Meditation

Reply #1
[Ens Cir'Cie | Holodeck | Deck 08 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Nolan 

The Vulcan woman had entered the holodeck several minutes prior wearing what could only be accurately described as a black sports bra and a pair of pale aqua green yoga pants. She was barefoot and standing on a yoga mat when the other woman walked in. There was climbing gear off to the side. “Computer, run program” she said aloud. It was not to answer to woman directly, but in a way the room abruptly transitioning into a world with a rugged mountainous terrain undoubtedly shed some light on the matter. However, humans were known to be quick to draw conclusions yet entirely slow at connecting dots. It was an unfortunate oversight in the wiring of their brains. Vulcans were superior in this sense. At least that was Cir'Cie personal bias. Maybe it bordered on a prejudice, but being prejudice was emotional and therefore illogical. Being astutely informed, however, was not emotional. It was logical. It was Vulcan. Ensign Cir'Cie took a deep breath in and smooth light exhale outward with a face that was stoic, blank, emotionless. “I did Ensign” replied the Vulcan simply. Again, a simple reply. It gave nothing away.

You can lead a human to water... It was a not a traditional Vulcan proverb, but it was one Cir'Cie picked up. It was a contorted version of a human expression. “Normally Ensign, I would not approach another member of the crew to participate in my physical and mental exercises” she stated with her stoic prelude. “However, it appears that the needs of this Vulcan require the needs of the many” she added raising a brow. “It was...” Cir'Cie began though she paused rather quickly. She sought her inner knowledge and mastered resourceful vocabulary to find the appropriate wording. “The Assistant Chief Science Officer has emphatically made a suggestion that I seek assistance from a counselor or therapist. He has emotional investment in my health and well-being, albeit his concern is illogical and misplaced” explained the botanist. “Nevertheless, I have arranged this to satisfy his human concern” she said flatly.

She knew that the woman was likely to clarify that she was not a practicing counselor. “Rest assured, this will unlikely be a daily request. I have thoroughly examined the personnel files for several members of the crew” stated Cir'Cie. “You are not presently a practicing counselor. This is acceptable. It was an informal suggestion that I see a counselor. Therefore, I am informally seeing a counselor. There will be no need for me to lie down and express my nonexistent feelings or my nonexistent resentment towards my parents” she said with a subtle nod. “You have the training to listen and are an experience climber. This is how I like to keep my body in shape and my mind sharp and clear” explained Cir'Cie.

Reply #2

The surroundings for Henshaw quickly changed to a more rugged landscape as she looked around to take in the new atmosphere and mountainous terrain before she continued her walk over to Cir'Cie. As she made her way over to the Vulcan scientist she opened up her uniform jacket and laid it aside the climbing equipment before she placed the mat in front of Cir'Cie as she still had many questions. However, the Vulcan began to elaborate to why Cameron had been invited to this deck in the first place. The obvious objection to not being a counselor being waved away on behalf of the woman before her. It brought an amused smile on Cameron's lips as she nodded and remained silent until Cir'Cie was done. The comment about not needing to lay down and talk about parental issues both caused for a smile as well as a painful inner sting.

Cameron started with a slight nod to Cir'Cie before she offered her gratitude "Cir'Cie... Firt of all, thank you for the invitation to be part of your daily routine. I'm honored to say the least and frankly could use some meditation and distraction myself." The meditation might not do much for Cameron yet climbing might shift her mindset away from the haunting memories that still lingered in her mind after the events at SB 84. She continued after a short pause "May I ask why mister Tovarek would have suggested for you to see a counselor? Clearly you disagree with his way of thinking." she offered as she stretched herself already in case the Vulcan would opt to do some climbing first before winding down with some yoga.

"Regardless, I've never seen mountains in this particular formation before. Are they situated on Vulcan?" she asked as she inspected the slopes and shape of the walls of rock around them. It would prove to be a challenge on some parts, yet that was the fun of it of course. Henshaw already planned a route for herself on several positions in order to reach the top and the prospect of it already warmed her up on the inside as the rush and thrill of climbing was taking grasp of her once more. With everything going on it had been too long since she had indulged herself in some climbing, be it wall climbing or mountaineering on a holodeck like this one. She was grateful for the invitation of the Vulcan. Perhaps asking for the program detail at the end of the activity could help her rekindle her old passion for climbing if she should find the time for it.

After hearing Cir'Cie's reply, Cameron simply nodded, not adding any comment or opinion to it yet asking a simple question "What would you like to start with? Yoga or climbing?" The ensign's eyes already seemingly sparkling with enthusiasm for the upcoming activities.

Reply #3

Cir'Cie raised a brow “Your gratitude is not required” replied Cir'Cie swiftly. “There is no reason to express it towards me. I asked you here because I needed something. That is all” added the Vulcan. “If you require medication and exercise as well, then this will be beneficial to the both of us. Our activities may form a sort of symbiosis much like that of mycorrhiza” said Cir'Cie. She knew plant biology and ecology were not likely one of the ensign's areas of extensive study. “It is a relationship revolving a fungus that lives within the roots of a vascular plant. The fungus benefits by having access to proteins, carbohydrates, and organic nutrients. The fungus then produces inorganic nutrients beneficial to the plant. In a way, I suppose you are my fungus, ensign” commented Cir'Cie.

Ensign Cir'Cie was here for specific reasons and specific reasons only. Socialization was not one of those reasons, and the inquisitive nature of Ensign Henshaw was of course to be expected. However, it was something that Cir'Cie could live without. She surmised that the ensign had one of those human personalities that was often described as being 'bubbly,' an adjective that Cir'Cie thought was peculiar. Why would anyone want to have such a personality? What value or merit did a personality like this have? If anything, Henshaw had the personality that a Vulcan probably would best describe as torturous. Fortunately, Vulcans were a disciplined species who from a young age taught their children the necessary skills for survival, including techniques to cope with emotional species. Vulcans could suppress their own ancient emotional savagery to the extent that many Vulcans insisted that they felt no emotions. Cir'Cie refused to say that exactly. Instead, she chose to say Vulcans like her did not experience the emotions because of their discipline and control. She herself was still comparatively juvenile for a member of her species. She had plenty more to learn. “You certainly are a carbonated creature” said Cir'Cie realizing rather quickly that she had made a slight error in her word choice. “My apologies, Ensign. I believe the term is a bubbly person” she said correcting herself. “Though that human expression has never made sense to me as I have come to hear the word bubbly used as a colloquialism to describe carbonated beverages” explained Cir'Cire.

Cir'Cie raised a brow. “Yes, the landscape and topography is a simulated representation of those that I am familiar with on Vulcan. I believe it prudent that we partake in yoga before attempting to scale the mountain, Ensign. It would defeat the purpose of 'loosening up' if we were to save the yoga portion of the program to after we scale the mountain” stated Cir'Cie with her cold Vulcan logic. “I have no ability nor control over what you inquire about. If you so choose to inquire as to why Lieutenant Tovarek has recommended that I see a counselor, that is your prerogative to do so” added Cir'Cie. “He is emotionally invested in my well being and feels that I have put myself through too much stress by assisting the security personnel with my abilities through mind melds. He does not believe I am properly trained to do so and that I need to concentrate on my standard duties in the science labs” she said simply.

Reply #4

The reply from the Vulcan was pretty Vulcan to say the least. It radiated coldness, yet Cameron reminded herself that this was a race where feelings were non existent to some extent. She cleared her throat and simply nodded as if she got scolded by a head mistress at a boarding school. She looked down at the ground for a second before she looked back up at Cir'Cie. She had to smile faintly at the reference of symbiosis. She listened to the example the Vulcan gave her before she shrugged "Interesting." she concluded instead of pointing out she'd rather not be compared to a fungus.

Cameron waved the remark about being a bubbly person away, or carbonated for that matter. "I believe I should thank you for that ensign." she smiled before shrugging. She looked at Cir'Cie in the meantime while Cameron stretched a bit herself to loosen up her muscles. The Vulcan female would prove a hard nut to crack should any form of counseling come in place. Once Cameron had loosened up enough physical wise she looked at the scenery as the Vulcan told her about the topography they were finding themselves in.

Cameron took in the rest of the information as she asked on a business like tone "What do you mean emotionally invested?" Surely every officer would be invested into their subordinates. Yet there were limits to them, was Tovarek crossing his? Cameron unwrapped her mat and took her place on it as she prepared for the first yoga moments on Vulcan. "You clearly disagree with his way of thinking. You helped the ship and the crew, which in fact should be a priority correct?" she inquired as she looked at Cir'Cie. As Cameron thought it over she smiled a little before shrugging "Well, wouldn't further training prosper your efforts for Security? I mean, purely from a business like point of view... Wouldn't training grant you to search or delve for deeper secrets that might harm the ship or threaten crew in any other way?" she suggested, not really knowing if it was possible, but considering it might be a good thinking exercise.

Reply #5

The Vulcan took in a deep inhale and let out a smooth steady unshaken, unwavering, and unemotional exhale. “If you wish to thank me for this, then I accept your gratitude as misplaced and unwarranted as it may be. Nevertheless, you are...welcome, Ensign” replied Cir'Cie. She did not know what else to say in that regard. She had felt as though her superior was more or less forcing her hand in this matter. If she was going to overcome the obstacles he was discretely placing, Cir'Cie would need to open up and think logically yet creatively...something challenging for a Vulcan. Creativity was not a natural mindset  or tool in the arsenal of a well disciplined Vulcan who embraces the teachings of Surak. Though Cir'Cie was young and by no means a master of these teachings, she still held onto the teachings and did her best to walk the path of Vulcan philosophy. “I...” began the Vulcan botanist, but she could not really permit herself to utter the words of any sort of apology. “I am flexible when it comes to the simulated scenery. If you wish to pick a more aesthetically appealing place to appease your emotional needs for greenery, please feel free to do so” added Cir'Cie. “I know Vulcan can be barren in the eyes of most species. It is a planet of deserts and volcanoes. However, there are areas that have more flora and fauna” she explained.

The Vulcan then proceeded to the matter at hand. The ensign had dug her nails into the subject and was ripping it open. “Emotionally invested as in emotionally invested, Ensign. I do not know if there is a better way of saying it” stated the Vulcan. She opted to just explain the situation as best she could. “I was assisting the Theurgy's security personnel by rendering my abilities to them. By that, I mean I was performing mind melds to help them with some complicated matters regarding what humans would call brain washing” said Cir'Cie. “This left me drained and I required extended meditation in order to keep my mental walls and barriers up. Too many mind melds in such rapid succession can lead to a myriad of physical and psychological issues. However, I was taking all the steps needed to keep those problems at bay. I was not late for my duty shifts nor was I doing anything that affected the quality of my work” she said stating the facts as she knew them to be true.

“Nevertheless,” she added raising a brow “he found it appropriate to reprimand me for assisting the security personnel because I did not have 'proper training' and am not trained security personnel myself” she explained to Ensign Henshaw. “He was worried that I was harming my own health by assisting the security personnel. Though I admit I am not trained for security matters and I concede to your suggestion that it would be beneficial if I undergo the training to continue these efforts to help ship security, I will not” she stated firmly. “Since joining this crew, I have been assaulted, violated, used and abused by sentient alien life forms, by members of this crew, and I grow tired of being taken advantage of. I have no issue engaging in mind melds to help security, but to undergo such security training as to transform myself into a security officer? I'm a scientist and I do not see the logic in turning this scientist into a some sort of telepathic mind sniffing hound.”

Reply #6

The Vulcan botanist surely seemed like a typical Vulcan as she still radiated that cold emotionless facade. Henshaw shook her head at the mention to change scenery "No, I would like to see how I perform on a different type of topographic terrain."  she voiced out. In the meantime she continued to take the poses that were posed by Cir'Cie. She choose to follow her lead while she could feel the serenity rush through her body. It had been a while since she felt that kind of peace in her mind and she smiled a little as she closed her eyes. In the meantime she listened to the explanation of the science officer about her superior.

She could understand what was bothering the Vulcan. The logic of it undeniable. On the other side she could understand why Tovarek was looking over her in the way he did. Her eyes slowly opened as she glanced over at the botanist. Whilst she didn't reply straight away she just looked at her in silence before striking a different pose. She let the words seep in and she processed them, whilst some of it was new information, some of the things she shared were painful memories.  Other things she said were reservations for any kind of training that could turn her into a mind sniffing machine. In the end it boiled down to what she might've seen during her counseling career as a sort of existential crisis.

"I can..." she started before she silenced herself and shook her head "It would seem that you have taken the correct precautions for your mind melds whilst aiding security."  she looked at Cir'Cie in silence for a moment before carrying on "However, Lieutenant Tovarek's concern might not be displaced if you look at it from a third party view. As your superior officer he probably saw the share of atrocities you've gone through. Perhaps his actions of blocking your collaboration with Security was a... An attempt to prevent further harm to be done to you?" she suggested before she shrugged "You'd have to ask the man himself to be sure though."

Reply #7

Ensign Cir'Cie knew that the ensign would probably come up with such an assessment and response. It was only logical that would do so. It still did nothing to really change how Cir'Cie thought of the man's actions. She too had concluded as much. He was looking out for her best interests. However, in doing so, he placed the value of one crew member, one individual over the general well being of the crew. At least that was how she saw it. “Ensign, I am well aware of his reasoning and what he was trying to do. However, that does not make it any less emotional...any less human” she commented, almost with a bitterness in her cold abrasive tone. Though she would never allow emotions to erode what made her Vulcan. “The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few...or the one” she added, raising her brow as she looked at Ensign Henshaw. “How  can he find any logic in focusing his human concerns over my well being and safety. He should be looking at the greater whole rather than the one piece. If my actions in assisting security can ensure the safety of the entirety or at the very least, the majority of this crew, he should respect my decision and trust me to do what is best for the ship and its compliment” she said sternly.

The Vulcan raised her brow once more and cocked her head ever so slightly. “Ensign, the safety of the crew was my only concern. Perhaps it was because I am Vulcan that I held no concern for my own well being at the time, but I was taking the measures to ensure my own safety the best that I could. I did what I could to keep myself functional for the ship. It was only in the crew's best interest that I helped security” she explained. “The lieutenant is not Vulcan. He could never understand the logic. He will never be able to understand that I took the necessary precautions” added Cir'Cie. “When you have a vast garden to tomato plants on Earth, you must be vigilant when examining each plant. Should the leaves of even one plant show indications of blight, that plant needs to be tended to immediately. You trim away the infected leaves close to the stem and trim the leaves that are close to the ground soil. This is necessary to ensure the safety of the entirety of the garden” she explained. “I was helping security purge infected crew of the blight within their minds” she added.

The Vulcan looked at the woman. "Please, explain his actions and reasoning the best way that you can without relying on emotion to defend his case. I need to find the logic in his actions. If I cannot find the logic, then I am at a loss as to what to say to him. I'm a Vulcan, Ensign, I cling to that which I can comprehend...logic over emotion" she said almost as though she were helplessly treading with logic water in an ocean of emotion.

Reply #8

Cameron let the words of Cir'Cie wash over her as she soaked them in like a sponge and analyzed them. She took peace in the half moon position she had positioned herself in. She exhaled slowly as she closed her eyes before straightening up again and reaching her toes with her fingers as she bent forward "I can't tell you what is going through his mind. The mind and way of reasoning of Simon Tovarek is something I don't exactly control or have a decent grasp on." she answered before she looked to Cir'Cie "As for his reasoning..." she paused "I'm afraid I can't help you with that either." she concluded.

"What I do 'feel' Cir'Cie is a mechanism. You try to seek reason and logic where it is hard to explain." she spoke as she took a lotus position now and regulated her breathing "Human psychology calls it deflective mechanisms. I'm not saying that you're projecting... Yet it does feels like you're focusing on the flaws that you see within Simon." she looked for eye contact "Besides, my presence here is not to analyze Tovarek in the end. If you wanted that I probably should've done something with him instead, but I'm here with you now." she smiled "Crew safety is indeed an important subject, do you feel like you've jeopardized the crew as a whole in the past?"

Reply #9

The Vulcan arched her brow and glarred at the woman. Some would have been unnerved by the look cast upon them by Cir'Cie. How Ensign Henshaw would take it was not of Cir'Cie's concern. However, the Vulcan knew she had been looking at the woman longer than normal, and swiftly turned her head in silence of a moment. "I did not invited you here to analyze him either" she said almost under her breath. She took in a deep breath and exhaled. "Nor do I expect you to analyze the motives and actions of someone who is not present. That would be highly illogical and not professional of either of us. Vulcans do not gossip" she said as she broke away from exercising and yoga poses. She eyed the task ahead of them. The actual climbing. "If you feel ready, I believe we should begin our way up, Ensign" stated the Vulcan. They would need to properly secure themselves regardless of the holodeck's safety protocols being in place. It was illogical to take unnecessary risks. Though the probability of any sort of holodeck malfunction canceling out or disabling safety protocols was highly unlikely, there were reports of it happening. As marginal it may be, Cir'Cie was not about to become one of the marginal statistics.

Cir'Cie looked at Ensign Henshaw. "There are times where I look around and observe a busy Mess Hall. Crewmembers who would not normally be seated together, sitting together even in silence, however, seats are unoccupied around me. They will not sit near me. It does not appear logical in any way that I have analyzed it until I sought an analyses by someone else. They explained to me that perhaps nobody sit near me because none of the crew wish to be near me" the Vulcan stated. "I was perplexed to hear this as I have been cleared for duty every medical examination I have had recently. I have begun to ponder if perhaps my actions be they unintentional when I was under the control of alien influence has lead the crew to distrust me?"

Reply #10

With a nod the woman nodded as she rolled her muscles loose a little before she walked up to the safety gear. She strapped on the the climbing gear and hooked and secured herself as she listened further to the fellow ensign besides her. She looked up at the scale able position and tried to figure out where she'd start and which path she'd follow on the way up. She didn't reply to the comment about Vulcan's not gossiping which was correct entirely, yet not worth to react to as it would only provoke the Vulcan some more perhaps.

Cameron looked away from the rock formation and faced Cir'Cie now as she mentioned the busy mess halls and the feeling that the botanist was ignored or left out by other members of the crew. Perhaps deliberately or not. Cameron moistened her lips before she reached down for a refreshment drink. She weighed her word lightly before replying "I'll be honest Cir'Cie. From a human point of view, its hard to communicate... Not in the literal sense of communicating, but more like conversing. The Vulcan nature is sometimes hard to grow on. It can sometimes be interpreted as hostile, cold or inhospitably." she tried to explain "This doesn't mean that you as a person hold any of those attributes. From the brief time we're having here you feel to me as if you're a caring and dutiful kind of person." she smiled "I know it might be hard... Yet perhaps you should try to be a bit more open to other people? Seek out company of your peers in the science department perhaps before expanding to others. Simply because your peers will automatically ease up topics for conversation. Alternatively, try having talks with people who have the same hobbies like yourself."

Cameron hoped the Vulcan wouldn't feel too attacked by her words or offended, yet it was always a risk. "Anyway, shall we climb this and continue our conversation at the top?" she asked with some enthusiasm in her voice.

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder