Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [1900 hrs.] Salaam Namaste (Read 6922 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [1900 hrs.] Salaam Namaste

[ Kamila Patel | Below Decks Lounge | Deck 28 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn
[Show/Hide]
Kamila inspected herself in front of the vanity mirror in her quarters, taking her time to make sure she had her traditional saree dress set correctly. The attire consisted of a half-cropped blouse, a long skirt and a sash that one arranged to be slung over one shoulder. In this case, Kamila had set it to bare her left side, and she braided her hair, tying it at the end and arranging the ends into three tassels. She put on over a dozen simple bengals on each wrist, and completed the image with a black Bindi dot on her forehead.
[Show/Hide]
Smiling, she nodded to herself, and headed out, taking a turbolift, heading in any direction she fancied that she was allowed to travel. Anybody she passed received a dazzling cheerful smile, and if she was greeted, she returned it politely. There was almost never a time she hadn't been seen without a smile or kind words of encouragement. She wasn't sure what she'd be doing today in honesty, as the events of Starbase 84, and emotions were hair trigger. But the Indian lady wanted to do her part, which was why she eventually found herself entering the Below Decks lounge.

There was always someone here who would need a listening ear or someone to talk to. Clasping her hands one over another in front of her, she stood unobtrusively to one side, looking around.

Re: Day 02 [1900 hrs.] Salaam Namaste

Reply #1
[ LT Daniel Havenborn, Callsign: Salvo | Deck 28, Below Decks Lounge  | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Triage

Daniel had switched back into his duty uniform after having gone back to his quarters to change from the workout that he and Riley had finished not too long ago.  It had felt good to exercise his muscles again in his usual training regime and seeing his home had made him feel pride in knowing that his people had managed to conquer the rough Martian landscape without anyone’s help.  Though as a testament to his genetic enhancements he was more than able to survive outside in the harsh environment without technological support something that he had omitted from his holopogram so that when he did have visitors they wouldn’t have to suffer the Martian air.

Once he had dressed he had made his way down to the Below Decks Lounge, once he felt like this ship was properly his home he’d frequent the Spearhead Lounge more since it was restricted to Line Officers.  For now though he felt like eating in the first lounge that he had come to since the service and the food had both been of great quality.  He stood in line waiting for his turn to be transported to Vector 3, a line which moved fairly fast at this point in the day.

Once aboard Vector 3 he took a turbolift down to Deck 28 and made his way into the lounge.  He walked in and looked around, taking note of the people that were here, most of whom he had seen in here before at some point, save for one.  She wore no uniform so he wasn’t sure who she was.  It was true that he didn’t know most of the crew but he had seen more of the regulars during his time visiting this lounge.  He walked towards her table and decided to introduce himself.

“Good evening, I’m Lieutenant Daniel Havenborn.”  He said with a smile.
Defeat, Genocide; why quibble with semantics.

Reply #2
[ Kamila Patel | Below Decks Lounge | Deck 28 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn
[Show/Hide]
At some point of looking around, it grew almost awkward to just stand in the corner, so Kamila took a seat at an empty table. The crew of the Theurgy knew her well enough to not feel shy about approaching her to socialize. It was what she did best, after all. And it didn't take too much longer before someone approached her. She studied him quickly and did not recognize him at all. He had the air of a flyboy. She wasn't entirely sure of that fact, but over time she'd learnt to identify the people from various departments from the way they moved or carried themselves, or both.

She smiled at him when he introduced himself, and clasped her hands together, bowing her head slightly as she said, Namaste, Lieutenant Havenborn, I am Kamila Patel. Cultural Entertainer. Diplomatic Entourage.”

Her Indian accent was strong and quite pronounced, but what she said was still clear enough. She gestured to the empty seat across from her, “Would you like to join me? You are not from the Theurgy, no?” as she spoke, her head tilted from side to side with almost every other word.

Reply #3
[ LT Daniel Havenborn, Callsign: Salvo | Deck 28, Below Decks Lounge  | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Triage

Seeing the young woman in front of him he smiled as she introduced himself.  “No, I’m not originally from the Theurgy.”  He said he accepted her offer to join her and sat down at the table.  “I’m one of the influx from the USS Resolve.”  He said as he looked her over.  She definitely didn’t have the same military feel that he was used to in most people.  While the Resolve had had a few civilians onboard most of the crew had been Starfleet.  “It is a pleasure to meet you Entertainer Patel.”  Daniel said, he wasn’t really sure what to call her since she didn’t actually hold a military rank.  He didn’t have much interaction with civilians even when he had served on other ships.

“I hope you don’t mind if I eat, I’ve worked up quite the appetite.”  He said as he waved a holographic waiter over and ordered himself a hearty meal along with a glass of Vat 69 and a pitcher of water.  He’d allow himself to have one more drink before the night was over but for the rest of the night he’d be drinking water so as to make sure he had a clear head for the away mission in the morning.

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]
Kamila allowed herself a soft, feminine giggle, covering her mouth with one hand, when Daniel addressed her as Entertainer Patel. She was going to enjoy talking to him, getting to know the man. He was so formal and rigid, but friendly enough. He did after all, approach her table. It seemed like he was at least slightly ill at ease himself with how he addressed her. Again, a familiarity from spending so much time on board a paramilitary ship.

“Please,” said Kamila with an infectious grin, “just call me Kamila. Patel is my father's name. You see, Indians don't really have surnames.” She gestured openly, “And yes, do eat! I will join you.”

So he was from the Resolve. There was quite a large amount of crew members from that ship. She looked at him with keen interest, and said, “May I ask where you come from? I'm from India, Earth, and I don't quite recognize your accent...”

Kamila had an ear for accents and languages in all its unique intonations.

Reply #5

“I’m from Mars, Entertainer Kamila.”  He said, and while it was correct he wasn’t from any part of Mars she’d likely know about.  Though the fact that she had been able to pick up his accent was impressive, he thought he had mastered Federation Standard.  “I’ve spent fourteen years speaking Federation Standard; I’m impressed that you can detect my accent.”  He said with a smile.  He figured that his accent slipping was probably from spending so long talking about his home with Petty Officer Patterson.

“You seem to be a very far distance from your home.  How did you end up serving on a warship of this caliber?”  He asked, he had realized that the Theurgy had more civilians than he was used to.  The Resolve only had a handful of them and thankfully Daniel hadn’t had much interaction with them, though he wasn’t sure if any of them had survived other than the T’fanrell they had acquired.  He might have to get a full head count from Lieutenant Commander Marquez or Lieutenant ch’Rayya the next time he sees either of them. He hadn’t really done much in the way of checking up on the survivors save for his pilots.

His facial expression changed slightly as he thought about his pilots; even if they weren’t really his anymore he’d always consider them like that.  Although at least his promise to, Lieutenant Malcolm Grant the Resolve’s previous SCO, to get them home as safe as he could was kept, though with nearly ninety-percent casualties he wasn’t really if that counted.  He realized that he had begun to stare at her as he had thought about this so he looked away hoping that his food would arrive soon.

Reply #6
[Show/Hide]
Like soft chiming bells, Kamila's laughter rang. This Daniel was something else. But she enjoyed every moment of it, so even though she corrected him again, the amusement and friendliness never left her eyes, “Please, just Kamila. Entertainer is not an actual title or rank,” said the olive-skinned woman, “and yes,” her head tilted left-to-right with every word, “I spend all day conversing with people. You learn how to identify accents, no matter how small.”

She sensed though, that Havenborn might possibly come from a harsh, or at least difficult life, based on his choices of words, and his overall demeanour. His every action seemed geared towards battle-readiness and an alert state of mind. No doubt everyone on this ship since fleeing Earth had been in such a state, but Daniel appeared to be naturally in that state. It was all just guesswork until he affirmed it verbally, but she could already tell he wasn't accustomed to softness. Kamila was about as soft as they came, excepting of course, Heather McMillan, her tea-drinking friend. He called Thea a warship, not a starship or dreadnought.

“Thea...Thea's a dreadnought,” said Kamila, smiling but now curious, “what makes you call her a warship?” She brushed back a stray strand of hair behind with a hand, and noticed how Daniel had been staring, but she didn't think too much about it, believing he was just trying to figure her out. She simply focused on answering his query, “I was part of the diplomatic envoys, under the cultural branch. Our original mission was one of peace and diplomatic mendings with the Romulans. Such a shame,” she shook her head slightly, “they were not very receptive to our efforts. I was one of the last to leave when we were fleeing from Earth...because, you know, the parasites?”

Reply #7

No title or rank?  Daniel wasn’t really sure how to address someone who didn’t have a title or a rank, his people had no real concept of a civilian, well at least nothing comparable to a Federation civilian.  Even those who had retired from military service or those that hadn’t stayed in the military for very long had some sort of title even if it was just ’citizen’“I’m sorry ma’am; I’m not used to dealing with civilians.”  He said apologetically.

That was definitely not a job you’d find amongst his people, everyone had a role to fill in society and if you didn’t do your job you were sent to the penal legions or worse.  He had been lucky that he’d been exiled; his father could have just as easily sent him to serve in a penal legion instead.  “I see, that’s an interesting profession.”  Daniel said as she corrected him about his calling Theurgy a warship.  “That’s what the AI said as well.  Well from what I’ve seen, this ship is designed for war and while that may not be its primary purpose it fits in that category far better than most Starfleet warships I’ve served on.”  Daniel explained.  He knew that Starfleet’s primary purpose was exploration and defense but nearly all of the ships he’d served on to date with exception of the Resolve had been geared for combat; for war.

Daniel nodded as she went on to explain why she was onboard the Theurgy“Diplomacy is a noble endeavor although it’s not something I know how to do that well.”  His people had trained him for war and while Starfleet had tempered him somewhat, he was still very much a soldier.

Reply #8
[Show/Hide]
Daniel was the epitome of a gentleman, as far as Kamila could tell, and her encouraging smile conveyed her approval and enjoyment of his company thusly. So it also seemed that Daniel had already encountered and interacted with Thea. She had the feeling that Thea didn't like being called something other than what she was, especially if she makes a point to repeat herself. In many ways, Thea was as much a person as she was the ship that encased them all safely within.

She shrugged and nodded at his statement about Thea from his perspective. She gathered he was quite geared towards warfare and battle rather than diplomacy and peace, but he wasn't a brute either. “Yes, I rather do think it's a noble endeavour,” said Kamila, “and something worth doing to the best of my ability.” She thanked the holographic waiter as their food arrived. Kamila had requested for a small dish of flat round bread, with three different types of dip.

“While Thea does have considerable capacity for it...well, I suppose you have a point,” she looked at the man thoughtfully, remembering the way he said things, as well as his formal manner, and said, “If I may ask, are you from Ouranos?”

Reply #9

As the waiter arrived with their food for him it was; pork ribs ready to fall off the bone, with a twice-baked potato and a side of green beans topped with french fried onions.  He took a few bites of the potato and the ribs as she answered him.  “Starfleet was the first organization that I served that had diplomats amongst its ranks.”  He said.  The Ouranos Peacekeepers were the closest thing to diplomats that his people had, they had been created to serve the Neo-ECON during the treaty negotiations with the Federation.  They were still one of the many military organizations that his people had but they were the only ones who were authorized to speak on the government’s behalf.

He continued to eat some more of his meal but when she mentioned his birthplace he stopped and looked up at her, his gaze was fixed squarely upon her as he studied her.  Besides the few people that he had told, no one should know that he had been born in Ouranos Dome, his Starfleet record simply stated Mars as the birthplace.  So it as quite surprising that she had managed to guess it.  “How-”  He paused as he tried to think about what to say exactly.  “How did you know, how did you find out?”  His demeanor had changed to be far more intimidating now.  He knew that the people he told wouldn’t be so cavalier with that information, so he wanted to know how she had found out.

Reply #10
[Show/Hide]
She seemed to have hit a sensitive spot, albeit unintentionally. Things were going relatively well enough, and Kamila was happily making new friends with the man, but apparently she not only was right about his birthplace, but it wasn't something he liked people knowing. Or he was paranoid for some reason. But then again, she knew about Ouranos thanks to her diplomatic ties, and she'd heard about them and the night impossible attempts for a peaceful agreement between them and the Federation. The fact that he was here amongst them was a testament to his courage and open mind, but that probably had its limits as she was quickly discovering.

Her smile faltered and faded after a moment under that intimidating demeanour of his. She had to thread carefully now, lest she incur more wrath, which was not her intent or desire. The best way to handle this was to answer him honestly and quite simply, with all the facts laid bare so he could see no deceit or ill-intent. “I made a guess,” said Kamila, “from your choices of words, your military manner, and your stature, quite simply.” She gestured towards him, “also, I am from the diplomatic corps, I would know about the attempts to establish peace between the Federation and your people. Which makes you being here even more of a surprise. You told me that you were from Mars, but you had difficulty addressing me by my name without a title, and your unfamiliarity with civilians, or diplomacy, or how you firmly believe Thea to be a warship rather than a multi-vector dreadnaught, led me to believe you may have been from Ouranos, which you have confirmed.”

She tried offering a pacifying smile, “But please accept my apologies, sir, if it is not something you like to speak about, I will no longer bring it up. I mean no offense or hold an ulterior motive. I just like making friends. That is what I do.”

Reply #11

From her answer he was able to determine that he hadn’t misplaced his trust in anyone thankfully.  However the fact that the information about his people was shared so freely within the Federation diplomatic community irked him slightly.  Although he may never be able to return home, he was still a patriot and would always consider the Neo-ECON his home.  “I see.”  He said as he nodded showing he accepted her apology.  “Since you know about my people, then I would correct one fact.  My people will never accept peace from Earth, their hatred for the planet and the government that wronged them is inbred.”  He left out the fact that while his people said they wanted peace with the Federation, what they really wanted was intelligence about Earth and its colonies so that one day they could possibly attack them, not that Daniel believed that day would come anytime soon; they would after all need interstellar vessels.

“While talking about my people is not something I like to do often, I would welcome it should you want to talk about them later.  I’ve had my fill of reminiscing about my homeland today.”  Daniel said as he thought about the visit to the holodeck with Petty Officer Patterson just a few hours before.  He continued eating the food in front of him, he hadn’t realized just how hungry he was, though he should have really expected it, it was a side effect of not being home anymore and not having access to his people’s medical practices to keep his genetic enhancements in peak condition.

“So what do you like to do for fun?”  He asked attempting to change the subject.

Reply #12
[Show/Hide]
Kamila's eyebrows arched a little at his blatant and direct assurance that peace was not possible at all. That was worrisome. It would mean aside from Daniel, the rest of his people would likely seek some measure of an advantage against the Federation, if not now, then perhaps some time in the near future. Optimistic and happy as the girl was, she was not naive enough to believe it wouldn't happen in a few generations. Rather, it was more likely to be in but a few short years. This was something she had to seriously consider. As a diplomat of the Federation, or at least, a member of it, she had an obligation. Then again, this wasn't exactly a probability that was unknown to them thus far. Strategic councils had always taken into consideration that the endless negotiations was a stall for time while they found an tactical advantage against Starfleet.

“Of course, Mr. Havenborn,” said Kamila, once the subject matter of his home was closed. She imitated his action of concentrating on her food for a while, as it was clear he was quite hungry. Her head came back up at his query of what she did for fun. “Back then, I enjoyed going out with the dignitaries we met, to experience to local lifestyles of the worlds I visited. Learning customs, languages, and exchanging gifts. I know that sounds so very formal, but that was fun for me.”

She looked to the entertainment stage wistfully, recalling how things were now over the last few months. “Now, I like to sing and dance, provide cultural entertainments, as much as I am capable of giving.” She turned to look at Daniel and added with a sheepish smile and shrug, “...to, keep people's spirits up, until this is all over.”

Reply #13

“I see.”  Daniel said between bites as she spoke about what she liked to do for fun, both then and now.  He didn’t find any of what she said to be fun, it sounded like work to him, although what he considered fun most people also considered work or didn’t have a taste for.  “What do you think of Theurgy’s mission?”  He asked.  To him whether or not the mission succeeded was no longer relevant, he would do his duty to the ship and fight so that the truth would be known but he didn’t really care about it.  Starfleet had already labeled the members of the Resolve crew as traitors before they had joined up with the Theurgy so it wasn’t like they had much choice when it came to joining them.

He finished the rest of his meal and drank the rest of his beverage.  Although now that he thought about it he wondered about how much of the holodeck she enjoyed, would she enjoy the holonovel he was writing?  He wondered to himself, he knew that Jimmy had enjoyed the portions that he had shown him and had him partake in but those were the action chapters, he wondered if she’d enjoy playing a diplomat in his holonovel.  Maybe he would ask her when he felt that the time was right.

Reply #14
[Show/Hide]
Kamila guessed that Daniel didn't quite share the same idea on fun as she did, if his laconic response was anything to go by. But she supposed that could be attributed to his heritage and culture. He was probably more action oriented than she would ever be. Kamila was quite a pacifist, much like the shy Heather McMillan, though not quite to that extreme, as the Indian had actually handled weapons before, for practice, and once for a cultural reason.

She too began to finish her meal as she pondered how to answer his question about her thoughts on Thea's mission. “You mean the one now, yes?” said Kamila, and she smiled as she continued on, “I think it a sad, but necessary one, with very little choice left to us. Which...unfortunately, leaves very little for me to do, since my skills are made entirely for something else.” She looked at him thoughtfully, then asked, “What about you? You have been with us a few days, and I think you joined the briefing about what we are dealing with, yes?”

She was curious if the Mars native would throw in his lot with them out of necessity, or if he would want to abstain, and seek passage off the vessel while he had a chance. Since he wasn't one of the original crew members of the Theurgy, he might be able to slip out unnoticed, and disappear, or rejoin Starfleet, or even return home. After all, Ouranos was not part of the Federation. They'd keep silent on his presence if asked, more than likely.

Reply #15

Daniel nodded when she asked about when he had joined the crew.  “I was one of the survivors of the Resolve that the Theurgy rescued from Starbase 84.”  Daniel stated as he leaned back and looked out into the void.  “I have no choice but to join Theurgy, Starfleet labeled the Resolve as traitors even before the Theurgy had shown up.”  Daniel said, leaving out the fact that his own people had declared him a traitor as well and that he was now exiled from ever returning home.  The best he could do now was hope to sacrifice himself proving to his people that he was still a loyal patriot, maybe that day would come with his time onboard the Theurgy and word would get back to his family that he had been the best soldier in Starfleet.

“I’m not really sure how much of it that I believe though, the evidence, it seems pretty farfetched but regardless of whether or not I believe in these creatures, Starfleet will still execute or imprison me for being a traitor depending on the circumstance.”  Daniel said as turned to look back at her, staring into her eyes.  Daniel would prefer execution to imprisonment, he’d seen what imprisonment did to someone who was genetically enhanced, and it was not a pretty sight to behold.

Reply #16
[Show/Hide]
Kamila nodded sympathetically as she listened to him. It was not unlike virtually everyone else onboard this vessel, yet, every one of them had their own pains to bear. The young Indian woman liked to listen, because it gave her something to do, helped her learn more about the crew around her, and she believed that it helped them too, to have someone they could talk to about these things. To have an outlet. She was careful not to betray anyone's confidence too, seeing as sometimes, the things spoken about were from the heart.

Daniel had the whole situation thrust onto him without a choice, and she didn't blame the resentful tone in his voice. Who wouldn't be?

“Sadly,” said Kamila, leaning forward slightly, “it's true. The parasites, the infiltration...all of it...it's true. But you already know that. You saw the video of Sonja Acreth?”

She still shuddered to even think of that footage. That was when her first nightmares began. But she remembered what Daniel had just said about imprisonment of execution. “Execution is not very likely,” said Kamila, “but either way, it is not a very pleasant subject to think about. Unless you do enjoy misery,” a paradox if there ever was one, “are there things you like to do that takes your mind off such grim thoughts?”

Reply #17

“I saw the holovid but they can be faked, I should know I’ve been working on a holonovel for several years.  Regardless of whether or not the information is fake Lady Fate has deemed that I am to be on this ship and thus I will serve until such a time that she deems otherwise.”  Most of his people believed in fate in one way or another, some like him chose to believe that fate had plans for them, others believed that fate was a god-like entity.  While they revered the Augments as the perfect Humans they also knew that it was Humanity’s fate to become perfect once again.

“While execution may not be likely for a Federation citizen, it’s more likely for me since I’m not one.”  Daniel said, he had joined Starfleet but he hadn’t joined the Federation itself.  When she asked about what he liked to do to take his mind off things he nodded.  “There are many things I like to do with my free time, though sometimes my free time is situational depending on whether I am courting someone or not.”  He said with a smirk remembering his time with Krissy on the Resolve.

Daniel leaned forward towards Kamila a little.  “In fact, maybe you’d like to explore one of those things?”  He asked cryptically.  He had an idea but he wanted to see if she was up for it before he revealed it.

Reply #18
[Show/Hide]
In many ways, Kamila held an innocence to many things despite the amount of exposure she had seen from numerous cultures and races; possible drawback to keeping a mind as open as hers. But it was for that reason that she was also quite good at her job. She believed in the ideals she represented, and held no ulterior motive that she would not share up front with those she spoke to. Not Deltan, nor Betazoid nor Shardak would find in Kamila, any lie but for her honest intents. So it was, that the look of concern on her face as Daniel spoke of his potential fate and mortality, was not a mere act.

She was not certain about how he felt about an offer of sympathy or affection, so she did not move immediately to take his hand, save but to offer an availability of it by moving her hand overtly, placing it near to him, and in a manner indicating that it was his to take if he so wished. She frowned ever so slightly, trying to understand what he meant by mentioning courting a person. Still, she was curious now, and hoped he would reveal more. She wanted to help him ease his clearly troubled mind, and that burden he wore over his shoulders like a cloak of anvils.

“Perhaps I might,” said Kamila with a small smile, and she looked at him, “would you tell me more, please?”

She was just the kind to bite on a bait like what he offered. She had been jokingly told by a friend that one day, it might well get her killed, or see her wedded to a sentient puddle of liquid.

Reply #19

Daniel smiled as she gave him a maybe then she asked for more information.  It was good to see that she was smart as well as beautiful.  Since this was a new chapter in his life and since he’d already had an romantic interlude with a fellow officer from the Resolve he decided that it couldn’t hurt to explore that some more, maybe with someone he didn’t really know.  Though he would want to find out more information about her before he propositioned something like that, and if she was maybe she’d be worth courting as well; only time would tell.

“Well one of my favorite things to do is to spend time in the holodeck.  I’ve been working on a holonovel for several years and I wonder if you might be interested in trying out the first few scenes of the first chapter.”  He asked.  “It takes place in an alternate setting of our universe, some things the same, others are not.”  He explained.  “Does this sound like something you’d want to try?”  He left out that it was also someplace that he and Krissy would go to be alone together for hours at a time.

He wondered how well she’d do, he figured she’d be more diplomatic than Meony or Jimmy who were far more blunt in their handling of the first few scenes and not the scalpel that Demi had been, she had completed the scenes just as he had intended for them to be completed, but then again she had always been able to predict him and had she not been a fellow pilot he likely would have courted her alongside Krissy.

Reply #20
[Show/Hide]
Daniel seemed to be sizing her up for something. That much, Kamila could tell. Though the rest was up to anyone's guess. Paying attention was her only way to find out what he had in mind, and she was curious now. His revelation didn't disappoint the Indian-born diplomat. The holodeck was certainly one popular way for recreation and freeing one's self from stress. It was also not always available to all personnel, what with so many of them and only a much smaller number of holodecks, even more limited now for power conservation.

“I am intrigued, certainly, Lieutenant Havenborn,” said Kamila, “you took a lot of time to create an entire reality. That is most impressive.”

She smiled sweetly at him as she leaned back in her seat, and tried to imagine what he had created. Her curiosity growing, she finally decided, “I would love to try your holonovel.”

Reply #21

Daniel smiled as she agreed.  “Well then let’s not waste any time.”  Daniel said as he stood up slowly, stretching his legs as he did.  He wondered just how well she’d manage, after all the opening scene could had only two real ways to go, either guns blazing or diplomatic.  However depending on how well someone performed they could unlock a third option, Demi had been the only one that had done that besides him but he didn’t count himself since he had designed the program after all.

As she got up Daniel held out his arm for her to take and as she took it he escorted her out of the lounge and towards the turbolift.  Daniel decided to give her a brief about the role she’d be taking on since they did have a slight walk towards the holodeck.  “So basically you’ll be taking on the role of the executive officer of the USS Vendetta, an Intimdator-class warship.  It serves as the primary setting for most of the holonovel, however there are some other locales but for now we’re going to focus on the Vendetta.”  Daniel explained as they reached the turbolift and took it to Deck 08.  As they exited the turbolift he continued.  “Your rank of Commander is newly commissioned and this is the first time you’ve served on one of Starfleet’s most prominent warships.”  He continued on a little more talking about the ship which was basically a Sovereign-class but it had some improvements, a small fighter detachment, an enhanced security detachment, a large ventral phaser lance that ran the length of the saucer section and a small detachment of non-Starfleet soldiers, but he didn’t go into them very much.

As they reached the holodeck Daniel smiled as he pulled the isolinear chip from his pocket and slotted it into the console and had the computer load up chapter one, scene one.  “Now we begin.”

----

[ USS Vendetta | Deck 01 Bridge ]

As he activated the program his clothes changed from his duty uniform to a black uniform with a command belt that went over his right shoulder under his epaulets which were onyx-colored and contained a rank pin that looked like an ancient-Earth grenade.  Daniel looked over at Kamila who was now wearing the command officer uniform with three gold pips indicating her rank as Commander.  She also was now holding a PADD.  He nodded to her as they appeared to be in a turbolift and a moment later the door opened to reveal the ship’s bridge.

The bridge which was a Sovereign-type layout, had officers standing or sitting in their places; a helmsman, a tactical officer, a strategic operations officer, etc;  and in the center seat was the commanding officer, a man in his late-40s wearing the rank pins of a Commodore, his hair jet-black and curly.  Daniel nodded to the man as he turned to look at the two of them.  “Commodore Sayid Jarrah, meet your new executive officer, Commander Kamila Patel.  I had the honor of meeting her in the turbolift on her way to meet with you.”  He said with a smile.

Commodoe Jarrah stood up and walked over to her, sizing her up as he did.  “Commander  Patel, welcome to the Vendetta.  I see you've met our resident company man.  Your orders?” He asked her.

Reply #22
[Show/Hide]
The Indian-born diplomat felt a small flutter of excitement as they rose to leave the lounge. Like a gentleman, Daniel offered Kamila his arm, which she gracefully accepted, practically gliding beside him as they walked out. She listened with great interest as he explained to her the holonovel that they'd be participating in. She had a little trepidation on the matter since she hardly ever participated in holonovel activities, seldom able to be anything other than herself. Though based on what he told her, she had some creative liberties that she could take, so maybe she wouldn't be too hard-pressed to play a part. This was admittedly rather exciting and intriguing to her. That Daniel was willing to let her be a part of something he was clearly passionate about was flattering.

She memorized the role she'd be playing and smiled, saying, “I always had a private dream of commanding a starship at least once. I suppose this counts.” Her head tilted left-to-right as she spoke.

[ Bridge | Deck 01 | USS Vendetta ]

Once they were in the holodeck, she let go of Daniel and didn't have to wait long for the changes. She looked down at her uniform, admiring the attire. It certainly felt good, and she ran her hands over the command rank pips. Looking over at Daniel, she admired his uniform too, and nodded back at him, with a smile. When the turbolift doors opened, she followed him out, and looked at the commodore. It took a moment to remind herself that the man was a hologram, but nevertheless acted like a real person.

“Thank you, sir,” said Kamila, and she handed the PADD in her hand over to the Commodore, trying to act as much like a Starfleet officer as possible, “it is an honour to serve on the Vendetta.”

The raven-haired woman looked up at Daniel, wondering if she was playing her part well enough.

Reply #23
[ LT Daniel Havenborn, Callsign: Salvo | Deck 08, Holodeck 1 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Triage

[ USS Vendetta | Deck 01: Bridge ]

Sayid looked her orders over while Daniel smiled and nodded at her.  “I see you served on the USS Broadsword; I didn’t know you were one of the survivors.  You’ll find that most of the crew from the Broadsword are now serving onboard the ‘Detta.”  Sayid said as he then looked at Daniel and for a moment just glared at him.  “I’ll let you get settled in your quarters, we’ll be in dock for another twenty-two hours.  I’d like you to come to stop by the Captain’s mess for dinner tonight so that you can meet the other senior officers in a less formal setting.” Sayid said.  “If you have no questions then you are dismissed Commander.”

“I can show the Commander to her quarters when she’s ready Commodore.”  Daniel said as he waited for Kamila to respond, this part of the story was more introductory than anything but the dinner would help her integrate some more into the story and would also give some background as to what is going on.  “I have no doubt that you will whether or not I ask you to Major.”  Sayid said to Daniel not looking at him but waiting for Kamila to respond to him.

Reply #24
[ Kamila Patel | Holodeck 01 | Deck 8 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Havenborn
[Show/Hide]
Kamila took the opportunity to absorb the information provided by the holographic commanding officer, but also noted with curiosity how he glared at Daniel. She idly wondered what was the story behind that expression, but she smiled and answered the Commodore, “No questions, sir, I look forward to seeing you at dinner.”

She turned to leave with Daniel following her and she glanced up at him, wondering. Once they were back in the turbolift, she asked her questions, “Lieutenant Havenborn, why was the Commodore glaring at you? And what happened to the Broadsword? There seems a great deal I will need to catch up on.”

Her curiosities were piqued, since she was generally one to read actual books or at the most, a novel on a PADD, she'd hardly participated in a holonovel of a magnitude of this level. It had her excited and eager to learn more. It was like being a part of the story. She had her own thoughts on that matter, but it involved scientific dynamics she couldn't even begin to fathom so she didn't continue that train of thought and instead concentrated on listening to the Martian.

Simple Audio Video Embedder