Skip to main content
Topic: Warmachine/Hordes - A Cygnaran Warcaster's Chronicles - Ready Or Not, Here They  (Read 2728 times) previous topic - next topic

Warmachine/Hordes - A Cygnaran Warcaster's Chronicles - Ready Or Not, Here They

Ready Or Not, Here They Come

Chapter 001

"Cover!" Came the shouted call as the whistle of incoming artillery shells broke the quiet of the morning air. The patrol dived off the path they had been travelling down and hunkered behind several trees. Unfortunately, several of the trailing members had not heard the call clearly and those few seconds of indecision cost them their lives as the trio of shells landed and detonated.

"Damn," Lieutenant James Tragger commented as he looked out from where he had dived to gaze upon the remains of the trenchers that had died. "Anyone see what was shooting at us?"

"No sir," came the reply as Senior Sergeant Kenneth Harris came up beside him, his scattergun held at the ready. "Can you sense anything?"

"No," Tragger said after focusing for a moment. "But that means nothing really. I've never been very sensitive."

"I remember you mentioning that before," Sergeant Harris responded. The sergeant had been assigned as his adjutant/companion when Tragger himself had been assigned to Commander Charles Sydney as a journeyman warcaster. He had told Tragger that it would ease the burden of his transition from the Trencher Commando he had been before discovering his arcane abilities to the warcaster that he now was. For his part, Tragger had been grateful for the company of the older man. With more than 15 years of service as a Trencher on practically every battlefield that Cygnar had fought on, the man was a fount of experience and knowledge that Tragger could and did draw on as needed.

"Options?" Tragger asked, although he already knew the answer.

"Sir, you're second guessing again," Sergeant Harris shot back. "You know as well as I do that we cannot stay here."

"Right," Tragger acknowledged as he drew his hand cannon. "Fall back by units. Stay to the sides of the path."

"Understood," Sergeant Harris said. "And your position sir?"

"I'll be the rear," Tragger stated as he gazed up at the Charger and Sentinel warjacks that formed his battlegroup. "Me and the 'jacks can cover our retreat from whatever is likely to continue shooting at us."

"I'll grab several of the lads to stay back with us," Segeant Harris declared as he turned and moved off. As he departed, the Charger released a low whistle.

"No Echo, I don't have a good feeling about this either," Tragger replied to the warjack he had first gazed upon during his training at Point Bourne. He had demonstrated what his instructors had called ‘beyond average’ abilities with the Charger and they had recommended that it be assigned to Tragger to see if anything came of it. "Infact, I have a decidedly bad one instead."

#RONHTC#

They had been travelling for perhaps half an hour, each unit of the patrol moving in turn as the others watched for whomever had fired at them. But no one came.

"Sergeant, you ever been in a situation like this before?" Tragger asked Harris, hoping to draw upon the Senior Sergeant's experience.

"Like this, sir? No," Harris responded without taking his eyes away from where he was watching for any signs of who attacked them. "I've had to retreat while under fire. I've had to circle away from friendly lines to avoid enemy patrols and such. But I've never retreated to friendly lines after only three shots were fired at me."

"Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me either," Tragger agreed as a trencher dropped to the ground next to them. "Yes corporal?"

"Sir, friendlies approaching up the path. Looks like Commander Sydney, several 'jacks and at least a platoon of infantry," the corporal reported.

"Why would they be out here?" Tragger wondered idly. "Commander Sydney didn't tell me that he would be joining us."

"They must have heard the shots from earlier," Harris suggested as his mind worked through the situation. "And they are coming to reinforce us."

"Away from the town and the majority of our forces,” continued Tragger as a thought occurred to him.

“Out in the open,” Harris finished as the same thought came to him. “It’s a trap.”

“And we’re the bait,” Tragger said as he jumped to his feet, Harris mimicking his movement as they raced along the edge of the path. As he ran, Tragger mentally called for his ‘jacks to follow him as quick as they could as he leapt over a fallen log and the pair of trenchers that were using it for cover.

He was just coming up to the bend in the path when he heard the sounds of heavy warjacks approaching. Pushing himself harder and wishing he had some way to use his magic to increase his speed, Tragger continued to run. Rounding the bend, he almost ran into the lead squad of trenchers that were the vanguard of his commanding officer’s relief column.

"Where is Commander Sydney?" Tragger asked as he slid to a stop.

"Back with his 'jacks, sir," the corporal in charge of the squad replied as he pointed behind him. As Tragger looked over at where the
warjacks were now standing his eyes settled on the short-cropped grey hair of his commanding officer. Holstering his hand cannon, he picked his way through the arriving troops and stepped up in front of the senior warcaster.

"James, good to see you're alright," Commander Charles Sydney said as he looked over his journeyman. "When we heard the explosions earlier, we feared you had been ambushed."

"I lost several men, sir," Tragger reported as sorted his thoughts into coherent words. "But I don't think we walked into an ambush sir."

"Then why shell you?" Trencher Lieutenant Albert Pratt asked from beside Commander Sydney.

"To get our attention," Commander Sydney observed as he looked around.

"To what end?" Lieutenant Pratt wondered.

"We're the bait," Tragger said even as the sounds of shells whistling through the air came again.

"TAKE COVER!!!" Commander Sydney yelled even as he pushed Tragger towards the edge of the path. Around them, men rushed to follow the shouted command before it had even finished being issued.

Re: Warmachine/Hordes - A Cygnaran Warcaster's Chronicles - Ready Or Not, Here They

Reply #1
Chapter 002

"Khadoran?" Tragger asked as he adjusted the position of his helmet in between barrages. So far there had been 3 of them, each lasting less than 5 minutes with a lull of almost double that time separating them. 

“That would be my guess,” Commander Sydney agreed as he leaned against the log they had chosen to shelter behind, his Radcliffe carbine held in his weathered hands. “Counting shells, I’d say that we have at least 3 Destroyers and maybe half a dozen mortars.”

“Stopping to reload the Destroyers between barrages,” Lieutenant Pratt stated. “It adds up. We can’t move because we would be left out in the open if the mortars kept on firing and we can’t stay here because they’ll eventually either blast us out or bring up infantry to root us out.”

“You’re not wrong there,” Tragger acknowledged. “Sir?”

“We move. Pass the word along. When the barrage after next ends, everyone moves as one,” Commander Sydney ordered.

“It’s almost 4 miles back to Greyglen,” Lieutenant Pratt said. “We make for the town?”

“That dried up creek bed about a mile from here,” Commander Sydney directed. “We’ll gather there and dig in.”

"Dig in, sir?" Tragger asked.

"It's the only location of any form of natural cover between here and Greyglen while also keeping us between the town and the Khadorans. We cannot expose the town to their advance," Commander Sydney stated.

"Our men would fight and the walls are sturdy," Tragger argued.

"James, I don't deny any of those points but you yourself know the power that a single warcaster can bring to the battlefield. And not just from the warjacks they can control," Commander Sydney chided his pupil. James Tragger was a good soldier and would be a great warcaster but he was still acclimating to having abilities that others did not. "With one of us there, the town would hold for a short time but it would inevitably fall to the Khadorans. It may even still fall to them with both of us there but we can buy the time necessary to evacuate everyone across the river. And that is the most important part."

"The people," Tragger commented softly.

"Yes, the people," Commander Sydney repeated. "Now, in what condition are your 'jacks?"

"Echo is fine, itching to shoot something. And the Sentinel also good to go. They haven't done anything but walk around," Tragger reported.

"Good, I think he'll get his chance," Commander Sydney said. "I have Smith, a Defender and a Grenadier with me. I want you to take the Grenadier. The men will keep it loaded and firing but you'll be able to boost its range."

"Understood sir," Tragger acknowledged even as he focused on the Grenadier's cortex. He felt Commander Sydney release his control of the 'jack and then he formed the proper patterns in his mind with his will that would allow him to pass through the protective locks on the cortex and grant him control.

"Now I can focus on keeping Smith from trying to prove how tough he is," Commander Sydney said. From nearby, the Ironclad in question stomped his foot; his almost 6.5-ton bulk shaking the ground.

"At least he is better behaved than Ol' Rowdy," Tragger pointed out.

"Isn't that the truth," Commander Sydney agreed with a chuckle. "That 'jack of Stryker's is as stubborn and ornery as they come. But by Morrow it can fight."

"I remember the first time I saw it fight. It was about a month into my journeyman tour and we were, I can't even remember where we were," Tragger lamented as he took off his helmet to wipe his brow. "All I remember is the sight of Lord Commander Stryker, sword in hand, standing his ground against a tide of Flameguard. Behind him, stood Ol' Rowdy, ready to smash anything that came too close."

"An image that many in Cygnar's armies have seen and that none will forget easily," Lieutenant Pratt observed. "I sure wish he was on his way here now."

"As do all who see such times as this," Commander Sydney stated as he heard a sound on the wind. "But he isn’t and so it is left to us to perform our duty. And I would put your helmet back on, James. We have incoming."

#RONHTC#

"I think we have annoyed them enough Echo, let's go," Tragger directed as he reloaded his hand cannon. Beside him, Echo fired off another pair of rounds from its dual cannon at one of the Man-O-War Shocktroopers that was out of position from his unit; ending his life with a hiss of blood and steam. To their sides several Trenchers had been firing at targets of opportunity; not really expecting to hit very much but that wasn't their purpose.

"Right lads, you heard the Lieutenant," Senior Sergeant Harris announced as he readied a grenade on a tripwire. "Back to the Commander and be quick about it."

"You too Sergeant," Tragger ordered as he sighted on a Winter Guard that was getting too close, ending her life with a steady squeeze of his trigger. As he watched her fall, his empty hand was already reaching for another reload.

"Just as soon as the men are on their way," Harris shot back as he counted heads. Once the last of them had risen from where they had sheltered and began moving back, Harris turned to Tragger. "Time to go Lieutenant."

"Right behind you," Tragger advised even as he took another shot. Unfortunately, he only winged his target. Turning, he saw Harris looking at him. "Go Sergeant.  We'll catch up to you."

"You had better, sir, or the Commander will have my head," Harris said as he took off through the trees after his men.

"Mine too," Tragger commented to himself as he looked through Echo's eyes and sighted in on another Shocktrooper. Focusing, he increased the power of the dual cannon's attack before letting Echo fire. Once again, his 'jack's aim was true and another Khadoran died. "Let's go Echo."

Echo replied with a hiss of steam directed at the Khadoran's before turning to follow Tragger. As they made their way through the trees, Tragger invoked his magic to aid their mobility; his magic searching the ground ahead of them for obstacles to avoid while also unnaturally speeding the movement of their legs.

Re: Warmachine/Hordes - A Cygnaran Warcaster's Chronicles - Ready Or Not, Here They

Reply #2
Chapter 003

"How did it go?" Commander Sydney asked as James dropped into the large foxhole. Judging by the dimensions of it and how much time had passed, James knew that it had to have been excavated by magic. Which made sense because Commander Sydney had taught him the same spell.

"3 Man-O-War Shocktroopers killed for sure and I saw a handful of Winterguard killed or wounded," James reported as he accepted a canteen from Sergeant Harris, who joined the two men.

"More than a handful is probably more accurate, sir," Harris corrected. "I heard at least 3 of my traps go off and Khadorans never travel alone."

"Where is Echo now?" Commander Sydney asked as he observed the Trenchers around them digging and preparing for the Khadorans.

"I sent him back to the Combat Engineers that were just arriving for a reload and refuel," James answered.

"They are here momentarily. Half of them are returning to Greyglen with the wagons and supplies," Commander Sydney stated.
"Only a single team of engineers will remain here in case of damage to the 'jacks."

"Prudent, I guess," James remarked as he leaned against the side of the foxhole.

"What can you two tell me of the Khadoran force?" Commander Sydney asked.

"We didn't see much of it from where we were," James began. "Shocktroopers in front with Winter Guard in support. Hard to get an accurate count. I saw at least 2 'jacks though."

"That is all I saw as well, sir," Harris said as he accepted several grenades from a private. "But I'd hazard a guess and say that they have Widowmakers or Kossites with them for sure. They'd need them with all the trees."

"I'd have to agree with you Sergeant," Commander Sydney responded. "The men probably already know as well but would you pass the word along to keep their heads down when possible. No sense in giving them an easy target to shoot at."

"I'll remind them, sir," Sergeant Harris said before moving off to do just that.

"How long do we stay here?" James asked his mentor.

"As long as we can safely do so," Commander Sydney stated. "I have ordered that Greyglen prepare for siege. The remainder of our force is reinforcing the defences there now. We need to give them as much time as we can to do just that."

"What about the civilians?" James wondered.

"I have asked that they begin evacuating to the other side of the river," Commander Sydney replied. "Let us hope that the impending arrival of a Khadoran force will be enough to spur them into action this time."

#RONHTC#

"Here they come, sir," the nearest sentry called out from where he was stationed. His call started a wave of motion down the trenches in both directions as men and women roused from where they rested or ate, grabbed their weapons from beside them and prepared to defend themselves.

"So, it begins again," Commander Sydney observed as he climbed up onto the fire step and looked out through the loophole that the sentry had vacated for him. Thanks to the delaying action that his journeyman had accomplished, and the unexpected but welcome delay from the advancing Khadorans, he and his men had had almost 2 hours to prepare themselves. Now they would find out if it was enough.

"How bad is it sir?" James asked as he stood to the side.

"It's not good," Commander Sydney responded as he analysed the Khadoran's formation. "But as you saw them earlier, they have Shocktroopers in front with Winter Guard behind them. They have also deployed Assault Kommandos just inside the edge of the treeline."

"Destroyers?" James asked as his mind worked to keep a tally of what they were up against.

"Looks like 4 of them, with at least two more of a similar chassis," Sydney said. "I can't make out what they are from here though."

"Heavy and light infantry, 6 heavy warjacks and the warcaster that is inevitably controlling them," Tragger counted off for his mentor. "This is going to be a tall order, sir."

"Remember, we are not here to hold them back," Sydney reminded, turning to look at his student. "Only to delay them as long as we can without sustaining too many losses. If our position becomes untenable, we retreat to Greyglen."

"Do you have a plan for that, sir?" James asked as he felt the impatience of Echo through his link with the 'jack.

"We wait until they get within range of the Long Gunners and then we open fire," Commander Sydney stated calmly before adding.

"I'll extend the range of one of the Trencher squads and you can extend the range of Echo and yourself; the Grenadier too when they come closer."

"And if they decide not to come closer?" Tragger wondered, trying to think of alternatives even as he asked the question.

"Then I extend the range of some Long Gunners and between them and the Defender they will target the Destroyers one after another. They will have greater range and more accuracy than the bombards those 'jacks carry."

"Understood sir," James acknowledged.

"Remember James, you will one day need to do all of this yourself. Always have confidence in your abilities," Commander Sydney reminded his student. "If you lose confidence, then the men around you will as well. And when that happens, all will be lost."

"I'll remember that, sir," Tragger said as he thought about those words.

"Good man," Commander Sydney responded, looking out at the Khadorans again. "Now off you go. The Khadorans appear to have grown tired of waiting."

Reply #3
Chapter 004

"Second squad, shift your fire to the tree line," Tragger ordered as he took aim in that direction himself. "We have to keep those Kommandos from rushing us," he added as he squeezed off another shot. His aim proved accurate once again as another Khadoran fell to the ground and didn't move afterwards.

"That is only going to hold them for so long, sir," Harris pointed out as he directed fire. The Khadorans were still out of range of his scattergun but the sergeant knew that it was probably only a matter of time before he would be adding his own fire to the Trencher fusilliade. 

"We'll just have to make sure it is long enough sergeant," Tragger reminded his adjutant as he fired again. Seeing a Shocktrooper exposing his side as he shielded himself from fire from further down the line, Tragger had Echo target him. The echoing fire from the Charger's dual cannon announced his death just as effectively as his falling to the ground hissing red steam. His death signalled to his companions that they were taking fire from another angle and they corrected their formation accordingly. However, their manoeuvres exposed 2 more of their number to the Cygnaran lines and they fell to a hail of bullets.

"Nice shooting," Harris complemented even as his trained eye surveyed the battlefield.

"Taught by the best," Tragger stated as he sighted in on another Kommando that wasn't paying attention. An explosion to his left heralded bad news and before Tragger could sight in on his target again, he found him rushing forward along with almost a dozen companions. Tragger managed to wing his target even as he dropped into the end of the trench where they had managed to take out the majority of first squad with a cinder bomb. 

"Look alive lads! Kommandos to the left!" Harris yelled even though the Trenchers around him were already moving to defend against the incursion. Several crates were moved, and sandbags dislodged from the parapet to form a defensive position to hold back the Kommandos. Redirecting his Grenadier's fire, Tragger drew his mechanikal trenchblade in a reverse grip even as he noticed Harris reaching for a grenade. "On the blast, boys. Ready!" He called before hefting the primed grenade at the end of the trench.

The Khadoran Assault Kommandos were well trained and ready for just about anything as they formed a shield wall in the trench. What they weren't expecting was a grenade to sail over their heads and bounce off the wall of the trench behind them. They had not considered that the Cygnarans would be crazy enough to use a grenade within their own trenches. In a rush, they all dove to the ground to try and avoid the ensuing blast. Ironically, most of them survived due to the arrival of another Kommando who dropped into the trench on top of the grenade just as it detonated. But the damage was done.

As the Kommandos began to regain their feet, an onrush of charging Trenchers met them head on. And in the lead was James Tragger, handcannon holstered and trenchblade in hand, he led his men in repulsing the Khadorans. The first Kommando he came upon lunged at him with his gun blade but Tragger parried it across and away from his body, elbowed the Kommando in the throat before seizing the opportunity and stabbing the Kommando in the throat he had just elbowed. As he prepared to engage his next target, he heard a familiar voice over the clamour of combat.

"CLEAR!" Sergeant Harris bellowed as he levelled his scattergun down the trench. Every Cygnaran before him recognised the call and dived to the floor of the trench leaving the Khadorans exposed when Harris pulled the trigger. Lead spewed from the barrel and tore apart the Kommandos before they could shield themselves. Tragger looked up from where he had taken shelter to see all of the Khadorans who had made the trench were now dead or dying. But this was no time to rest.

Appearing over the lip of the trench, 3 more Assault Kommandos prepared to enter the fray. Tragger, once again seizing the opportunity, drew upon his magic and sent a bolt of lightning into the middle man. Even as he lit up from the electricity coursing through his body, that same electricity arced across the open air and into his companions; illuminating all three for a moment before death took them.

"Secure the trench!" Tragger ordered as he drew his handcannon and stepped up onto the firing step. But all he saw was the retreating forms of Kommandos as they backed away to disappear into the treeline.

"They're retreating, sir?" A Trencher asked from beside him.

"It looks that way," Tragger responded as he himself wondered why they were doing such a thing.

"That doesn’t make sense," Harris pointed out as he came up beside Tragger and looked out himself. "They almost had us here. By Morrow, a single flamethrower and we'd have been toast."

"Which leaves us asking the question," Tragger said. "What are they up to." His question was answered a moment later by the distant sounds of cannons being fired. "Incoming!" Tragger shouted as he ducked back down into the trench proper.

But the cannons weren't targeted at him. When the shells started to land further along the Cygnaran lines, Tragger looked up to see. And wished he hadn’t. 

He could see the form of the Defender warjack that Commander Sydney was controlling and beyond that, the form of Smith. Knowing his mentor, if Smith was there, then Commander Sydney was nearby. And that was where the Khadoran barrage was targeted. First one, then two and then more shells landed. Through the flying dirt and debris, James was able to see a shell hit the Defender in the shoulder or arm area on its right side before another shell impacted its right leg. 

And that sent the Defender falling to the ground.

James was on his feet and moving along the trench before he even realised he had stood up.

Reply #4
Chapter 005

"Lieutenant!" Sergeant Harris called out when he saw Tragger running off along the trench. "Dammit," Harris muttered when Tragger either didn't hear him or ignored him before he began running along the trench in pursuit of the wayward lieutenant.

As Tragger ran, more shells continued to explode around him and he felt through the link he had with his Charger that it had lost its right arm at the elbow. He checked in with his Sentinel and found that it was still functional but his Grenadier was another story. 

When he first checked, he couldn't see anything through the 'jack's eyes but after a moment, vision returned as one of the nearby Trenchers wiped off the mud that had been obscuring its vision. Directing it to continue firing at the retreating Khadorans until they were out of range. That taken care of, Tragger ran on.

Coming up to the disabled Defender, Tragger maneuvered around it to enter a scene of ruin. The bodies of Trenchers lay strewn about where the explosions had tossed them. Swallowing the bile in his mouth, Tragger began to check for survivors when a voice called for him from behind.

"James," Commander Sydney called to his student before hissing in pain from the effort. Tragger turned at the sound of his name to find his teacher pinned to the ground by a piece of the Defender's shattered arm pierced his chest.

"Sir!" James exclaimed as Sergeant Harris and several other Trenchers came around the downed 'jack. "Check the others," he ordered even as he knelt next to his teacher.

"James," Commander Sydney said softly as he looked up at the worried face of his student. "It seems that my time as your teacher is drawing to a close."

"Don't say that, sir," Tragger implored as he examined the piece of metal that was skewering his commander. It was still attached to the Defender and couldn’t be detached without the 'jack itself being moved.

"I can see what you are doing. Working through the problem as I taught you," Commander Sydney said to his pupil, silently proud of him. "But this time, there is no solution."

"There is sir," Tragger declared. "We get Smith to lift the Defender until you are free, bandage your wound and make for Greyglen as fast as we can."

"And I'll be dead before we even leave this trench," Sydney stated. "The wreckage, given its size and location has undoubtedly nicked either my heart or aorta. I know it has pierced my lung. The 'jack, as much as it has killed me, is also keeping me alive to perform one last task."

"We can free you sir," Tragger practically begged, surprising himself with how emotional he was being. If anyone had asked him before this moment, he would have said that the man before him was merely his teacher but now, after everything they had experienced together, the man lying before him, slowly dying, was like a surrogate father to him.

"Not this time, James," Commander Sydney responded. "Now it is time for you to lead," Sydney asserted between hisses of pain. "You need to get as many of the men back to Greyglen. I'll cover you as best I can, for as long as I can."

"I'll stay and help you sir," Tragger said half-heartedly, already knowing that his attempt would be denied. 

"You know you can't. And you know why," Sydney replied.

"Because I am a warcaster," Tragger stated.

"And perhaps the finest I have ever trained," Sydney added almost wistfully as he reached for where his carbine lay beside him. "I had ordered another weapon for you, in preparation for your promotion. But it seems that I won't be around for that," he observed as he held out the carbine to James. "Take it."

"But this is yours, sir," Tragger said even as he accepted the weapon from his mentor.

"And soon, I will no longer have need of it," Sydney pointed out. "Better that it goes where it can continue to be of use. Sergeant Harris!"

"Sir," the sergeant answered from where he was crouched nearby.

"Have the mechaniks reload the Defender and the Sentinel. They will be remaining with me," Commander Sydney ordered from where he lay underneath said warjack. "Smith, the Grenadier and Echo will be returning with you to Greyglen."

"As you order, sir," Harris acknowledged before turning away.

"Smith won't want to go with me, sir," Tragger observed. He had tried on several occasions to direct the warjack but it had always been resistant to him. "He doesn't like me."

"That doesn't matter now. He'll go with you," Commander Sydney said. "I won't have him be destroyed here."

"How can you be sure?" Tragger asked.

"Because I told him too," Commander Sydney replied as he worked to undo the bandolier that was slung across his chest. Seeing what he was trying to do, Tragger helped him free it from under his body. Miraculously, it was completely undamaged. "You'll need this too," Sydney said as he held out the bandolier as well. 

"I won't forget you," Tragger declared to his teacher.

"I should bloody hope not," Commander Sydney retorted with a smile and a chuckle. This was immediately followed by a cringe of pain. "Now, get ready to release your Sentinel and take hold of Smith. But first, where did that sergeant go?"

"What else do you need, sir?" Sergeant Harris asked, appearing as if by magic beside the two warcasters.

"Firstly, I want you to take care of him," Commander said as he pointed at Tragger. "He is going to need you in the coming days."

"Can do sir," Sergeant Harris replied.

"And secondly, I need three grenades," Commander Sydney stated.

Simple Audio Video Embedder