Skip to main content
Topic: [2380/USS Endeavour] "First Contact" (Read 10998 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [2380/USS Endeavour] "First Contact"

Reply #25
[ Lt. Cross | Mess Hall Kitchen Area | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

Cross just smiled and shook his head as Kai barked at some passing crew members, asking if they could “smell what he was cookin”. Cross didn’t bother to comment, having grown accustomed to Mr. Akoni’s strange habits and boisterous outbursts.

When the food was finally ready they sat themselves at one of the tables in the Mess Hall, Kai with his Chicken Kebabs, and Cross with his meatless ones. Cross had been snacking on the pineapple as they cooked, a lingering habit of his from when he had to scavenge any morsel of food he could get his hands on. Now, savoring the taste of the skewers, Cross sighed contentedly, closing his eyes and enjoying the flavours. When Kai said they were the best kebabs he’d ever had, Cross felt a sense of relief, having had no idea if the meat was cooked or seasoned properly. The pineapple and vegetables were delicious, Cross could attest to that. Kai then asked him what else he had put in the seasoning, and Cross just smiled, taking another bite of pineapple and chewing slowly. Once he’d swallowed the mouthful, he spoke.

”How’s the chicken?” Cross asked, grinning and adding, ”carnivore…” in a good natured way. ”I have to say, I’m impressed! The fire suppression system didn’t go off once!” Cross chuckled, pushing his empty tray to the side and standing. ”I don’t know about you, but I could use a drink to wash that down. Can I get you anything while I’m up?”

Once Kai had told Cross what he wanted, he headed to the replicator, ordering Kai his drink and a glass of Kanar for himself. Lifting the drinks, he turned and made his way back to the table, seeing Lt. Ford enter the mess hall with several other females, two Humans and a Bolian. Cross gave Jillian a warm smile as he made his way back to the table where Kai still sat. As Cross sat opposite Kai, he grinned and slid Kai’s drink across the table to him.

”To an excellent meal.” Cross said, raising his glass in front of him and taking a sip of the thick liquid before placing the glass on the table and sighing contentedly. ”I think I’ll get the drinks tonight, my friend. I don’t need you trying to kill me with alcohol poisoning again!” Cross chuckled and shook his head, raising his glass to take another long sip of Kanar, savoring the thick alcoholic liquid as it burned its way down his throat.

Reply #26
[Lt. Kai Akoni | Mess Hall | USS Endeavour] @Fife

As Cross was getting their drinks, Kai noticed that four female officers had entered the Mess Hall. He recognized one of them as Lt. Ford, the lady that Kai had abandoned Cross with. He saw Cross notice her and smile.

Somebody is smitten... Kai thought to himself and smirked as Cross approached the table with their drinks.

Before Cross got to their table, Kai had noticed one of the engineering Lieutenants' with Lt. Ford. She wasn't someone that Kai had recognized, but he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. She was about 5'4" with medium length brown hair. All Kai knew was that she was cute and he wanted to meet her.

Suddenly Kai's thoughts were punctuated by the return of Cross and the sliding of the glass of whiskey across the table towards Kai.

He picked it up and smelt it before he sipped it. He felt the liquid enter his body cool at first, followed by a warmth. Kai always found it an intriguing feeling, but he loved it nonetheless.

He looked across the table at Cross and saw that he was drinking a thicker, dark liquid. Kai stared at Cross' glass for a few moments, confounded and then stopped what he was doing.

"Hold the fuck on....is that Kanar? Why are you drinking that shit? Especially after what the Cardie's did to you"

Cross had paused for a minute before answering Kai's questions. Kai hadn't really been paying attention to the answer however, since his eyes had wandered back to the young lady sitting at Lt. Ford's table. He noticed Cross had stopped talking, so Kai nodded to be polite and make it appear that he had been paying attention. Kai had just as quickly come clean though.

"Sorry Cross, I didn't hear a word you just said. I was distracted. Come on though, let's go over to that table and keep those ladies company"

As Kai finished speaking he immediately stood up, not giving Cross a say in the matter.

Reply #27
[ Lt. Cross | Mess Hall | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

”Hold the fuck on… is that Kanar? Why are you drinking that shit? Especially afterwhat the Cardies did to you!”

”When I was in the camp, they’d often leave my room unlocked and let me roam the lab. One of the security guards on the night shift was a drunk, and would drink Kanar every night. After he would pass out, I’d drink whatever was left in the bottle. He never reported me because I would wake him up before the next shift arrived, keeping him from being found out.” Cross shrugged, ”I know it’s a Cardi drink, but that Cardi was the nicest one I met, the only one in the camp who never beat or tortured me. I guess I got a taste for it since I associate it with him.”

As Cross explained how he had come to enjoy Kanar, he knew Kai wasn’t listening, and began to ramble a bit about random things that had nothing to do with the explaination.

”Anyway, after I sprouted wings and grew phasers out of my eyes, I flew up and laid waste to the camp. Then the sky began raining Kanar as a sign of my victory.” He said with a smirk, watching his friend nod like it made perfect sense.

The big man was obviously distracted, and Cross could tell he was staring at one of the women sitting at Jillian’s table. After a moment, Kai came clean.

”Sorry Cross, I didn’t hear a word you just said. I was distracted. Come on though, let’s go over to that table and keep those ladies company.”

And then the whirlwind that was Kai Akoni swept off towards the unsuspecting women at the other table, assuming Cross would follow. Cross chuckled to himself as he took another sip of his Kanar before rising and following, swept along by the wake of Hurricane Akoni.

I wonder what he would do if I didn’t follow him. Cross mused, It might put him into an existential crisis.

Cross saw that Kai had already reached the table, the outgoing man wasting no time before starting up a conversation. Kai had a voice which carried easily, and Cross could head the man introducing himself and asking their names. One of the women was giggling at Kai’s self assurance, the other looking at him with obvious interest.

Fuck, is it always so easy for him? Cross thought with a puzzled look as he approached the table. Then he saw Lieutenant Ford had risen and was walking towards him. A smile played across his features as the blonde woman drew close, and he had been about to speak, but rather than stopping the blonde Lieutenant simple kept moving towards him and kissed him. Cross tensed at first, still not used to people being in such close proximity to him, but quickly relaxed and returned the kiss briefly before pulling back, feeling embarrassed about the display of affection in front of so many people.

”Hey wrinkles!” Jillian giggled, poking the ridges on his nose with her index finger.

Wrinkles? Cross thought in puzzlement, reflecting on the fact that he might just have been given the worst nickname ever as Jillian continued speaking.

”Why don’t we go get me a drink, and you and your friend can join us?” She said with a smile. ”I’ll have whatever you’re having.”

”That might not be the best idea…” Cross told her, looking up to see Kai glance at him before the larger man turned back to the brunette engineer.

”Hold the fuck on… Is that Kanar?” Jillian asked, her voice holding a mix of surprise and disgust.

”Yeah, long story.” Cross said as they moved over to the table. ”Jill, why don’t you introduce us to your friends, and then we’ll go grab the drinks?” Cross suggested, noticing that Jillian’s friends seemed to be studying him, as though weighing him up.

”Sure thing, wrinkles.” Jillian teased.

Worse. Nickname. Ever. Cross thought sourly as Jillian began to make the introductions.

Reply #28
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | Mess Hall | USS Endeavour] @Fife

"Hi ladies, how are you doing this evening?" Kai asked the table in general as Jillian rose from the table to presumably intercept Cross for some quick time alone.

Kai had looked at the three fresh faces at the table. One was a Bolian, one was a human with short red hair and one was the brown haired woman Kai couldn't keep his eyes off of. He hadn't seen the first two before, but he had definitely seen this engineering lieutenant before.

Maybe fixing the brig forcefields last week? Kai thought for a split second before realizing it hadn't mattered.

"We're doing quite well, even though we just got here" The Bolian replied.

Kai smiled and nodded at the reply from the Bolian. "Is there anything else I can do to help you have an even better evening?"

The red head started giggling after Kai had asked the question, and Kai had noticed Cross and Jillian approach from behind.

"Jill, why don't you introduce us to your friends, and then we'll go grab the drinks?" Cross said almost nervously.

"Sure thing, wrinkles."  Jillian had said with a mischievous smirk on her face.

Kai started laughing upon hearing Jillian's nickname for Cross. A hearty belly laugh filled the room.

"WRINKLES!" Kai said as he slapped Cross' back which caused Cross to step forward slightly in order to re-establish his balance.

Kai found the nickname funny and he vowed to call Cross that whenever he got the chance.

Jillian had started to introduce her friends sitting at the table.

"Well, that over there is Nihara" Jillian gestured to the Bolian at the table, and then continued "This fiery red head here is Alyssa and this beautiful brunette is Annika" Jillian had finished introducing the trio at the table and then introduced the two men standing there, "Even though I'm sure he's introduced himself already, this is Kai, and this beautiful man is Cross"

Kai smiled and nodded at the trio of people sitting at the table and noticed Annika was staring at him and smiling.

"Can I get you ladies a drink?" Kai asked while looking at the group, but mainly focusing on Annika.

Reply #29

As Kai bellowed out the ridiculous nickname and laughed, smacking him on the back, Cross considered trying out a nerve pinch on the big man, though he supposed leaving his friend slumped over the table when they were meeting new people might be considered rude. He enjoyed the mental image though.

Cross watched as Jillian made introductions, seeing that Kai was having trouble looking anywhere but at the brunette, who Jill had introduced as Annika. Cross winced as Jill referred to him as a beautiful man, giving her a quizzical look. He had been called many thing, but beautiful was never one of them. The blonde woman gave him a teasing wink in response to his glance, accompanied by a sly smile.

As Kai asked if he could get the ladies at the table a drink, Cross reached out and touched his shoulder.

”We’ll go grab drinks, Kai.” Cross said aloud, then leaned forward and muttered into the large man’s ear. ”You ever say the name Wrinkles out loud again, and I’ll nerve pinch you and leave you in Lieutenant Commander Tiran’s office, ass naked and surrounded by empty twinkie wrappers.”

With that, Cross straightened up and smiled at the others at the table. ”What’s everyone having?”

After getting the drink orders, Cross and Jillian headed off and left Kai alone with the three women. As they went, Cross gave Jillian a sidelong glance.

”Wrinkles?” He asked, his voice devoid of anything even hinting at amusement or enthusiasm. ”Really?”

”What?” Jillian giggled, flashing him one of her dazzling smiles. ”I like your nose wrinkles! They’re cute!”

”Cute is not something I get called much.” Cross muttered, growling softly under his breath.

”Well get used to it wrinkles. You’re stuck with me now!” Jillian giggled again as she nudged him in the ribs with her elbow. ”And the nickname!”

Cross couldn’t help but grin at her as they got the round of drink and headed back to the table. As they placed the drinks down, Cross spoke. ”So that’s a gin and tonic and two tulaberry wines for the ladies…” Cross said as he placed the drinks down. ”One whiskey for the big oaf…” he added, placing the tumbler in front of Kai. ”And a vodka lime for the lovely blonde.” He finished, smiling at Jillian.

”And another Kanar. What the hell?” Asked Jillian, wrinkling her nose at Cross’ drink choice.

”Like I said, long story.” Cross said in a non-committal way as he and Jillian sat down. He smiled at the three other women at the table. ”Has Kai been behaving himself?”

”Have you? Because Jillian told us stories…” Retorted Nihara. The Bolian narrowed her eyes and gave Cross a teasing look, causing him to glance at Jillian and blush slightly before clearing his throat awkwardly and taking a swig of his kanar.

Reply #30
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | Kai’s Quarters | USS Endeavour | 2 Weeks Later] @Fife

[The time is 0600 hours] The computer announced in Kai’s quarters.

Kai stirred in his bed, opening his eyes slowly. He slowly realized that he hadn’t got much sleep the night before, but what he did get was more than enough. He laid there blinking his eyes a bit more than usual so they could focus. Once his eyes were in focus enough, he turned his head to the left and saw Annika laying there still sleeping. Her body was covered in just a sheet which hugged every beautiful curve of her naked body.

”Morning sleepyhead” Kai whispered, to no avail.

He laid there for a moment before deciding how to proceed. He tapped her right shoulder a few times to see if that would rouse her from her deep sleep. It didn’t work.

I really must have worn her out last night Kai thought quite amusingly.

”Annika, it’s 0600” he said a little more louder.

Annika had been startled awake. She had been so startled that she was now standing beside the bed, even though Kai thought she wasn’t even full conscious.

”Wh..what time is it?” Annika asked groggily

”It’s 0600” Kai replied instantly

”Shhhhhiittt! I’m gonna be late, I have a briefing at 0610” Annika had exclaimed as she started stumbling around trying to get into her uniform. She got into her uniform about as quickly as Kai had ever seen. As she was putting her hair into a ponytail she spoke again.

”Don’t forget to ask Cross about tonight! She reminded Kai as she finished putting her hair up. 

Kai nodded in acknowledgement and Annika came back to the bed and kissed him before she turned and ran out the door on the way to her briefing.

[ Lt. Kai Akoni | Kai’s Quarters | USS Endeavour | 45 Minutes Later]

”Come in” Kai responded to the door chime indicating someone was at his door. This someone was presumably Cross as it had become their morning ritual for Cross to come to Kai’s quarters for tea in Cross’ case, and the beautiful dark hot beverage that Kai was addicted to: coffee.

”Morning Cross!” Kai announced to his friend before Cross had even fully crossed the threshold into Kai’s quarters.

Cross nodded in acknowledgment as Kai had handed over the usual green tea that Cross drinks in the morning.

”Before I forget, Annika wants to know if you and Jill are free for a double date tonight..I think it’ll be fun”

Reply #31
[ Lt. Cross | Kai Akoni’s Personal Quarters | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

Cross walked groggily through the corridors of the Endeavour, making his way to Kai’s room, as was their routine in the mornings. On some occasions he would get lost, usually when still half asleep and leaving Jill’s quarters, making wrong turns as though he were travelling to Kai’s quarters from his own. Thankfully Jill had slept at his place last night, so his sleepy stumble to his friend’s quarters was his usual, quite familiar route.

I hate mornings… Cross thought blearily as he walked past a pair of teal-clad Ensigns gossiping in the halls.

Cross finally found his way to Kai’s quarters and triggered the door chimes, hearing the big man call out ”Come in”.

The doors opened and Cross shuffled across the threshold. He nodded a bleary acknowledgement to Kai’s greeting as he accepted the hot mug of green tea, raising it and inhaling the vapors rising from the liquid’s surface. Cross heard Kai ask him a question, but took a long sip of his tea before answering his friend, hoping the tea would work it’s magic and bring him back to full wakefulness.

”A double date?” Cross asked, his mind still not working at full capacity. ”We’re both free. Jill was asking me this morning about what we were going to do tonight.” Cross took another sip of his tea, savouring the grassy flavour as his mind came into focus just a little more. He moved to the table and sat down, letting out a yawn as he placed the steaming mug on the tabletop.

”It’s not just Annika. Jill said something about a double date as well.” Cross said, glancing at his friend. ”I think they’re conspiring behind our backs, Kai.” Cross grinned as he spoke, ”They’re beautiful, but they plot like <fucking> Cardies…” Cross’ grin broadened on his face, though he hid his amusement behind the brim of his mug as he raised it and took another sip of tea.

As he lowered the mug back down to the table and swallowed the grassy liquid, feeling the warmth flow down into his chest, he spoke again. ”What did you have in mind for tonight?”

Reply #32
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | Personal Quarters | USS Endeavour ] @Fife

”What did you have in mind for tonight?”

Kai didn’t have to think long about it. He smiled and slid the PADD he already had in front of him across the table towards Cross.

Cross picked it up, rotated it 180 degrees so he could read it. Cross seemed to read it for only a few seconds, presumably the title, and then looked up from the PADD to Kai inquisitively.

”Trust me…it’ll be fun”

[ Lt. Kai Akoni | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour | 1900 hrs ]

Kai and Annika had arrived outside of Holodeck 2 a few minutes before the arranged meeting time with Cross and Jillian. Kai wondered if Cross had been having trouble with the period clothing that he had sent him specifications on.

Kai had replicated for himself to wear, a black frock coat along with a crisp white dress shirt, grey dress slacks and comfortable dress shoes. To top off the entire ensemble, Kai also had a top hat and a beautiful black walking cane.

Annika was dressed in a pink evening dress, which was adorned in lace trim and ruffles, complete with a corset, which Kai was acutely aware due to both Annika’s look and her complaining.

”This corset is uncomfortable, I can’t believe women used to wear this!

Kai nodded to Annika and was about to respond with the historical aspect of corsets, but then he saw Cross and Jillian come around the corner.

Cross was wearing a brown suit complete with waistcoat, pocket watch and a complementing bowler hat. Jillian had been dressed in an evening dress almost exactly like Annika’s, just in a light blue.

”Everyone ready?” Kai asked to the group and got nods from everyone there. Kai then pushed a couple of buttons on the computer control pad.

[Program Complete. You may enter when ready] Came the automated voice from the computer as the holodeck doors slid open.

The quartet walked into the holodeck and ready to start the holonovel that Kai and Cross had agreed to.

It was a black room which had gotten blacker after the holodeck doors closed and the doors were covered with the holomatrix.

A character from the novel had materialized in front of the group dressed in period clothing. The character was there to introduce the setting for the group before the novel started.

”Welcome to London, England. The year is 1889. You are the owners and main detectives of the Endeavouring Minds Detective Agency. Public trust in the Metropolitan Police is at an all time low. Your detective agency is tasked with investigating more and more crime across London.” as soon as the character had finished setting the scene, he had disappeared and the black room had been replaced by London in 1889. 

The group was astonished by how well it looked. From the cobblestone streets, to the gas lamps as street lights and the horse drawn carriages going down the cobblestone. Kai was impressed with how much effort had been put into the recreation of London, which so far was very accurate.

Before the group had finished looking around and caught their bearings, a young messenger boy ran up to the group and handed Kai a letter before the boy took off in another direction.

Kai opened the letter and read it aloud to the group, ”I request your agency’s presence at French Embassy here in London. I have had a theft take place and wish for your agency to investigate immediately. Sincerely, William Waddington; French Ambassador to the United Kingdom”

Reply #33
[ Lt. Cross | London Streets, 1889 | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

Cross stood with his arms crossed over his chest and watched the messenger boy run off into the late evening gloom of old London, losing sight of him as he dodged out in front of a passing hansom cab.

That hardly seems like an effective form of communication… He thought, then was distracted as he glanced at Jillian in her light blue evening dress, admiring the way the corset accentuated her frame. The blonde woman caught him looking at her and smiled at him, nodding towards Kai as a way of telling him to pay attention. She gave him a sly wink before they both turned back to the big man, his height now amplified by the top hat he sported.

As Kai finished reading the letter that would send them off into the story of the holonovel, Cross smiled and uncrossed his arms, cracking his knuckles. ”Well, let’s get started, shall we?” He said, reaching up and tipping his bowler hat forward slightly. He found the hat odd, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Jillian stepped forward to the curb, raising her hand to flag down a passing carriage. Cross would not have thought to do that, but he remembered Jillian telling him that she and a friend at the Academy had enjoyed Victorian era holonovels. As the carriage rolled to a stop at the curbside and the driver called out a greeting, the four “detectives” clamoured aboard, Kai calling out their destination to the driver as they did. Once they were all aboard and the door was closed Cross heard the driver give a call and a crack of the reigns causing the carriage lurched forward, it’s wheels grinding on the cobblestones.

Cross turned and looked at the others, sliding his left arm around Jill and giving her a gentle squeeze as he spoke. ”So we’re off to solve a mystery at the house of the French Ambassador. It’s a bit high-profile for our first case, isn’t it?” Cross grinned, patting his jacket underneath his left shoulder with his right hand. ”I added a little something to my outfit before we came, “Detective” Akoni.” Cross added the title with a teasing tone, giving his friend a mischievous smile. ”Computer, run Cross program addition zero-one.”

[Addition added]

”Don’t worry, it’s period appropriate.” He added, giving Kai a wink. ”I once read the Sherlock Holmes stories, and Watson was often armed. Thought it might come in handy.”

The carriage rumbled and bucked as the wheels rolled over the uneven cobbles of London’s Victorian streets. Cross saw Annika lean against Kai, and saw his friend glance down, admiring her evening dress.

”You know, if you like her in that dress so much, I could make her wear it as her duty uniform.” Cross teased, receiving a gentle elbow in the ribs from Jill in return.

”Be serious, Cross! It’s more fun if you act the part!” She said, though her tone told him she had thought the remark was funny despite her words.

”Yes ma’am.” Cross said, giving her a mockingly chastised look before turning to Kai. ”I think you should take the lead in our investigation. You’re probably the most familiar with Earth’s history.” Cross said as the carriage slowed and came to a stop in front of a large, three-storied house. The windows of the house glowed with the light of gas lamps, and shadows could be seen moving across the panes.

Cross stepped down from the carriage and gave Jill a hand down. As they stepped aside and let Kai and Annika disembark, Cross saw a man in the uniform of a Vicotrian-era British police officer approach.

“What the devil are you lot doing here?” Sneered the bobby, disgust plain on his face. “Out and about playing detective, are we?” The man spit on the sidewalk, a thin train a saliva clinging to his chin. “You lot should leave this to the professionals!”

Reply #34
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | London Streets, 1889 | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour ] @Fife

"What the devil are you lot doing here? Out and about playing detective, are we? You lot should leave this to the professionals!” The police officer said to the group disparagingly.

Kai kind of smiled to himself as this would have been an accurate representation of what life was like when a private a detective met a Metropolitan Police Constable in the late 19th Century. The lack of progress on the Whitechapel murders, perpetrated by the self named Jack the Ripper, caused a lot of distrust between the general public and the Metropolitan Police. The police naturally felt threatened by people that were trying to do their job.

Kai noticed Cross’ right arm moving into his jacket, to the pistol that Cross added to the simulation. Kai looked at Cross and shook his head.

”We are just invitees of the French Ambassador, we don’t want any trouble sir” Kai replied to the police Constable calmly.

The Constable mumbled under his breath and stared at the group for about 5 seconds longer before he resumed his previous foot patrol.

The group walked up to the main door of the massive property, it was the largest building in the neighbourhood which was near one of the entrances to Hyde Park. “Detective” Akoni knocked on the large wooden door which was immediately opened by one of the French servants.

“Bonsoir. Suis-moi s'il te plait” The servant said, immediately turned around 180 degrees and started walking deeper into the house.

Kai turned to the group he was with, looked at them and tilted his head to the right as if to indicate for them to follow the servant.

As the group followed the servant, Kai leaned in to whisper in Annika’s ear.

”You look really beautiful” This comment in turn, caused Annika to blush and grin from ear to ear. She didn’t reply, but Kai hadn’t needed her to.

After a relatively short walk they arrived at an office that the servant had already knocked at and opened the door. Standing up from the large desk in the room was a portly fellow, with grey hair and a large beard. This man appeared to be in his early 60s.

”Monsieur l’ambassadeur” Kai exclaimed as soon as he had recognized who the man was.

”You speak French? You never cease to amaze me” Annika exclaimed, almost swooningly.

Kai held up his right hand and held the pads of his thumb and forefinger about 2 millimetres apart, as to indicate he only knew a little.

”Ah detectives..merci for coming so quickly.” the elder statesman began. ”We’ve had a theft. My wife, Mary, has had her necklace stolen. It is important because it is the Diamant Panthère Rose which was a gift from Queen Victoria herself.” The man handed over a picture of the necklace which was a necklace with a large pink diamond in the middle, flanked by many smaller clear diamonds.

”When did this happen?” Annika asked the Ambassador.

”A few hours ago. I have not let anyone leave since it happened. Ze thief must still be here!”

”We understand Mr. Ambassador. We will get to the bottom of it.” Kai said to the holographic Ambassador before turning to his friends. ”Ok Cross, you and Jill take the bottom floor. Just observe people, see if anyone stands out to you. Annika and I will take the top floor. We’ll meet back here in about an hour”

Everyone nodded and Cross and Jill turned around and headed for the office door, but before they reached it, Kai had called out to Cross.

”And try not to shoot anyone Cross, okay?” Kai said winking at his friend before extending his arm so Annika could hold on to it for an escort before they started their search.

Reply #35
[ Lt. Cross | French Ambassador’s Residence, London, 1889 | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

Cross smiled as Kai instructed him to try not to shoot anyone, responding with only a wink before he turned away and left the room with Jillian on his arm.

As they moved back into the hall, Cross glanced around, looking down the hallway in either direction. Seeing that the hallway stood empty aside from the servant who was moving back towards the front of the house, Cross turned and smiled and Jillian, slipping an arm around her waist and pulling her in close.

”You look wonderful in that dress.” He spoke softly before leaning in and kissing her. After a moment she pushed him back with a giggle, giving him a playful expression.

”You need to focus, mister!” Jill chuckled, giving him a suggestive look. ”If you’re good, maybe I’ll let you enjoy taking me out of it later.” She gave him a wink and placed her arm in his again, steering him down the hall. ”Right now, I think we should go meet the other party guests.”

”Lead the way.” Cross said as they strode down the hall, their footsteps muffled by the luxurious rugs. As they passed a set of double doors to their right, the doors opened and a male servant stepped out. Beyond the servant they had a brief view of dark wood-panelled walls with dozens of book-filled shelves before the servant closed the door behind him. Turning to face Cross and Jillian, he regarded them curiously.

“Ah, bonsoir, monsieur. Puis-je vous aider?” The servant asked pleasantly, though Cross had no idea what he had said.

”<Hello, I have no idea what you just fucking said.>” Cross spoke in Cardassian, earning himself another elbow in the ribs from Jill, who then turned to the now confused servant.

”The Ambassador asked us to come. Could you tell us where the other guests are?” Jillian said, smiling at the holographic servant. The servant appeared pleased by her smile, seeming to forget the strange language Cross had spoken.

“Qui, M’dame. The guests are assembled in the ballroom.” The servant said in heavily accented English, motioning for them to follow him. “If you will come with me, I will take you to them.” With that he was off, striding down the hallway with Cross and Jillian following. He rounded a corner and approached another set of double-doors, this time larger and more ornate. The servant pushed the doors open and ushered them into a large room which was mostly devoid of furniture, though the lack of furnishings was made up for by the number of people who currently occupied it. Cross estimated that there must be around 60 people milling about and talking to one another, all dressed in the fine eveningwear of the Victorian era.

Cross turned to the servant and spoke quietly. ”Have you seen anyone acting suspicious or unusual this evening? Anything that stands out to you?”

“Pardon, Monsieur, but the only thing strange that stands out to me is you.” The servant replied, glancing at Cross nasal ridges and ears in an obvious manner. The servant scurried out of the room when Cross growled at him, hastily closing the doors behind him.

”Smooth move, wrinkles.” Jillian laughed, squeezing his arm. Her laugh always made him smile, even when it was caused by something foolish which he had done. There was something melodious about it. Cross smiled sheepishly at Jillian. ”Maybe you should ask the questions…” He muttered, very much aware that he was out of his depth in the current circumstances.

Jillian and Cross had been circulating throughout the room, talking to various people without revealing their reason for being there. They had been at it for 40 minutes, and had only covered about half of the room’s occupants. Jillian had been doing most of the talking, with Cross observing the people in the room. Most of the women would have a hard time concealing the stolen diamond in the bodice of their dresses, but their ample skirts would make for an easy place of concealment. The majority of the men wore what Cross could only assume was the fashion of the time, namely trousers which were fairly tight, waistcoat, and tailcoats. The coats would be the only place they could attempt to hide the stolen jewel.

Jillian strolled casually up beside Cross and slid her arm into his. ”Enjoying looking at all the women, darling?” Jillian asked him, speaking in a passable British accent. Cross grinned as he looked down into the woman’s eyes.

”I am, yes. Why, are you jealous?”

The elbow in his ribs was answer enough, though he knew she wasn’t truly upset by the smile that spread across her face, causing her eyes to light up. She laughed softly as she shook her head at him. ”Are you sure you’re the same shy, awkward Cross that was shoved towards me in the mess hall?”

Cross laughed, knowing full well he was still awkward and shy. He gave her a wink as he smiled, then his face took on a more serious look. ”So did you learn anything?”

”I’ve learned I don’t like you looking at other women wearing corsets.” Jill teased before following Cross’ lead and turning the conversation to a serious note. ”Nothing definitive. The party’s full of a mix of people. Mostly diplomats and important men, and their wives. Most of them are rich, and many of them are greedy. Any of them could have taken the diamond.” Jillian sighed, shaking her head. ”According to gossip that's been passed along, there are a half-dozen guests who have had less than friendly dealings with the Ambassador. I haven’t learned anything that gets us any closer to finding the thief though.”

”With the clothes they’re wearing, there’s plenty of places to hide a stolen gem on their persons. Any of the guests could have it on them right now and we’d have no way of knowing short of patting them all down or strip searching them.” Cross muttered as his eyes scanned over the crowd again. ”Lets go meet up with Kai and Annika and see if they’ve managed to dig up more than we have.”

The two left the room, making their way back to the Ambassador’s study to regroup and plan their next move. They arrived to find the study door locked, and so decided to wait in the hallway outside the study for Kai and Annika to arrive.

Reply #36
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | French Embassy - 1889 | London, England ] @Fife

After Kai and Annika had bid the French Ambassador adieu, they proceeded to head up the massive staircase of the sprawling mansion in the heart of London. 28 stairs later, they reached the top of the staircase. Kai looked around to take in the surroundings. To the left was a long corridor with multiple doors on either side of it. To the right was a corridor with doorways on the left side of it and a railing on the right side of it about 10 metres down the corridor, overlooking the ballroom where presumably Cross and Jill were. Kai decided they’d go left to check the corridor with doorways on either side.

”Let’s go this way” Kai said putting his large hand on the small of Annika’s back to guide her gently to the left.

Kai wanted to take this opportunity to spend some more alone time with Annika getting to know her better. What time would be more perfect than the romantic heart of London, 1889? The sky was a beautiful blue twilight, shimmering with stars he could have sworn were made of diamonds.

As they walked, Kai rested his arm around Annika, and as she moved in closer, he felt her head nuzzled against his chest as her arm slid around the small of his back.

Kai turned to Annika, slowly so as not to startle her or have her move away.

“The evening’s beautiful, but nothing could be as beautiful as you.”

Kai saw Annika try to hide her rosy red cheeks, but she did a terrible job hiding them. He thought it was cute how her cheeks slowly turned to a blazing red, her lips slowly form a smile and her nose crinkle with it. He thought she was the cutest thing and was very happy he chose to take her out on a romantic walk down this seemingly empty corridor.

They walked along the corridor trying doors as they went along. Every single one they had tried was locked. They could have easily been broken down, but they both agreed that the Ambassador probably wouldn’t like that too much.

”Who do you think we are looking for?” Kai asked Annika as he tried to turn another doorknob that was once again; locked.

”I’m not sure about the holonovel, but I personally can’t keep my eyes off of you”

Kai chuckled and kissed her on the forehead. He found it sappy but he loved it nonetheless. Once they had reached the end of the corridor with all the doors being locked, they turned around and tried all the doors on the opposite end of the corridor. Those were all locked as well and this frustrated both Kai and Annika.

The two leaned up against the railing overlooking the ballroom and looked out on the guests below. A large group of people dressed in their very best. Kai imagined that these people were the wealth of London. Kai and Annika watched as Cross and Jill left the ballroom and Kai realized that time had gotten away from them and it must be time to meet to go over what they found.

”Well I guess we should go tell them what we found...and by what we found, I obviously...” Kai had been saying but had trailed off when he noticed a flash of a reflective pink color from down in the ballroom. He noticed the necklace had been exchanged between a man and a woman but couldn’t see their faces from his vantage point. Kai spun 90 degrees to his right, Annika lifted the bottom of her dress off the ground a few centimetres and they both started running for the staircase.

Kai barked out as loud as he could ”CROSS. BALLROOM. NOW!” as he finished, Kai and Annika had just reached the top of the massive staircase and saw Cross and Jill approaching the bottom of it seemingly wondering what the commotion was all about. 

Reply #37
[ Lt. Cross | French Ambassador’s Residence, London, 1889 | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

Cross and Jillian had enjoyed a private moment and a stolen kiss while waiting for Kai and Annika to return to the Ambassador’s study. Cross loved staring into the deep blue Jillian’s eyes, though tonight he was having trouble keeping his eyes off her figure, accentuated as it was by the corset. Jillian was not helping the matter, moving in a way that she knew would flaunt her figure and entice him even more. After a short wait and a great deal of distraction, Jillian finally suggested they head to the stairs to look for Kai and Annika, suggesting they too might have gotten distracted from their current task.

As they approached the base of the stairs, Cross heard Kai’s voice booming from above.

”CROSS. BALLROOM. NOW!”

Without even a moment’s hesitation Cross was moving, speeding down the corridor as his right hand snaked into his jacket and withdrew the Webley Revolver from his shoulder holster.

”MOVE!” He roared at the obnoxious servant as he approached the ballroom doors. The servant, who had just come out and closed the doors behind him, jumped in alarm and squeaked in panic as he leapt aside. Cross dropped his shoulder as he approached the door and slammed into the joint where the double-doors met, causing them to give with some splintering at the latches and sending the doors bursting open. Cross stepped across the threshold and surveyed the room, the revolver held up near his head and aimed at the ceiling. His unblinking eyes scanning for any sight of trouble, his intense expression causing several of the guests inside to shrink away.

The servant had regained his feet, and scurried into the ballroom jabbering at Cross in French, though Cross didn’t understand a word he said. An angry glare silenced the man, who shrunk back several paces as Cross turned back to continue surveying the room and the people within. Seeing there was no commotion beyond what could be expected based on his entrance, Cross wondered what Kai had seen. Cross guessed Kai and Annika must have been on the balcony overlooking the ballroom and seen something.

”LISTEN UP!” Cross barked, his voice carrying over the hushed crowd. Once he had their full attention, he began giving instruction. ”Everyone stand against the walls. No one is to talk or move. Backs against the wall and hands where I can see them.” Several people moved to obey, but many just stood looking at him with confused expressions. Cross turned and jabbed a finger at the servant. ”You, translate for those that speak whatever garble you’re yammering in.” He growled before turning back to the crowd. ”MOVE!” he barked, sending the majority of the crowd scurrying to follow the instructions as the servant began explaining to the rest of those gathered. Once he was done speaking he turned to leave, but Cross grabbed his arm and shoved him into the room. ”Oh no you don’t! You line up too!”

Jill arrived a moment before Kai, with Annika following just behind. As they entered the ballroom, they found they whole crowd standing with their backs against the walls in a dead silence, with Cross prowling through the ballroom, casting his gaze over those assembled to ensure their continued “cooperation”. As he saw his three companions entering the room, he stalked over to them.

”What did you see?” He asked Kai, still keeping an eye on the people.

Reply #38
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | French Ambassador's Residence, London, 1889 | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour ] @Fife

"What did you see?" Cross had asked after he sauntered over to where Kai was standing.

"We saw an exchange of the necklace from a man to a woman. We just need to figure out which woman has it"

Cross looked around the room to all the women in there, while Annika looked perplexed and spoke up;

"You know which man handed it off?"

Kai had nodded to her as he walked towards the line of people that were both clearly unsure of what was happening and were afraid of the group of them that were there to solve the mystery.

As he approached the line up of people, Kai noticed that the people did look terrified...all except one man. He approached the man and put his large hand on his right shoulder.

"Excusez-moi monsieur, would you mind coming with us to answer some questions?"

"No, I don't think so" The man replied to Kai, not realizing he didn't actually have a choice.

Kai then nodded and pretended not to care as he turned to his left to see Cross there. Kai then tilted his head towards the un-terrified man as a nonverbal cue for Cross to go ahead. Cross then approached the man and drove the left side of his revolver into the left cheekbone of the now previously un-terrified man. Blood burst from the mans cheek where it had been hit and the man collapsed to his knees, clearly unable to process what had just happened.

"You actually didn't have a choice.." Kai said as he leaned over the smaller man on his knees, who posed no threat at the moment. Cross and Kai then proceeded to pick the man up, one on each side to drag him out of the ballroom to have a 'nice, friendly chat' in another room.

Not too close...don't want the other guests to hear our 'chat' Kai thought to himself and smirked.

"Annika and Jill, you stay here and keep an eye on these people...we'll be right back" Kai told the beautiful ladies as he winked at Annika and him and Cross kept dragging the man out of the ballroom.

Reply #39

Cross kept his left arm hooked under than staggering man’s as he and Kai dragged the suspect out of the ballroom, at the same time jabbing the muzzle of the revolver he held in his right hand into the suspect’s ribs. The threat of the revolver, on top of Kai dragging the man on his left and Cross on his right, resulted in the man putting up nothing in the way of resistance as he was escorted from the room.

As they dragged the man out of the doors, Cross glanced at the obnoxious servant from earlier, now looking fearful as he stood against the wall, and spoke.

”You. Come with us. We’ll need your keys.”

The servant looked alarmed as Cross spoke to him, but obeyed. He shuffled after them uncertainly as they swept the suspect from the room and down the hall.

”What’s your name?” Cross asked the servant, looking over his shoulder.

“Pierre, monsieur.” The servant, Pierre, replied in a tone that made it clear that he was both scared and curious.

”Ok, Pierre. We need a quiet room with only one entrance and a door that locks.”

“Qui, monsieur.” Pierre said, understanding what he Cross was suggesting. “I think perhaps the pantry off the kitchen would suit your purpose.”

”Good. Take us there.” Cross directed Pierre, slowing to allow the servant to move ahead them.

Several moments later found them dragging the dejected suspect through the delicious scents of the kitchen, much to the alarm of the various kitchen staff who were working in the room. Pierre opened a large door in the eastern wall and turned on the light to reveal a large, windowless room. The walls were lined with shelves containing numerous different foods and ingredients, with an ample space in the centre standing empty. The scent of a myriad of herbs, spices and other foodstuffs combined to create a powerful aroma within the confined space.

”Pierre, grab a chair and a coil of rope and bring them in here.” Cross instructed the man.

“Qui, monsieur” Pierre acknowledge, striding briskly out of the room.

After Pierre had returned with the chair and placed it in the centre of the room, Cross and Kai deposited their suspect in it. Cross instructed Pierre to wait outside and lock the door, and not to open it without his direction. As the door closed and the key could be heard turning in the lock, engaging the bolt, the suspect shuddered noticeable and seemed to deflate even further, the hopelessness of his predicament finally dawning on him. Cross moved to stand in front of their suspect while Kai moved behind him and bound him to the chair with the rope, securing his torso firmly to the wooden backing of the seat.

”Now, monnsewer” Cross said, mimicking what he had heard the others say to address the man but getting it horribly wrong. ”My associate here is going to ask you a few questions.” Cross lowered the revolver and placed the muzzle against the suspect’s left kneecap. ”I would suggest you cooperate and answer his questions. You wouldn’t want us to have to persuade you…” The look of fear that crossed the man’s face told Cross that the threat had been fully understood. With that he removed the end of the revolver from the man’s knee and moved back, leaning against the shelves and crossing his arms to watch as Kai began his interrogation.

Reply #40
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | French Embassy - 1889 | USS Endeavour] @Fife

As Cross leaned back against the shelving of the small pantry, Kai moved towards the man tied up in front of him.

"Parlez-vous Anglais?" he asked the man.

"Yes" the man replied sheepishly.

Kai nodded and responded almost immediately, "Good. This is how this is going to go...if you answer my questions, you'll be happy. If you don't, then I will let my associate here have some fun with you". Before Kai had finished speaking, the man was already looking at Cross with genuine fear in his eyes. The man nodded and turned his gaze back to Kai.

"Now..where's the necklace?"

The man answered almost immediately, "I do not know sir!"

Kai sighed after the response and rubbed his forehead, he then circled around the man on the chair and crouched down beside him.

"You're trying my patience my friend. I'm going to ask you one more time, where is the necklace?"

The man hesitated for a few moments before carefully wording his reply, "I could be  persuaded to tell you...for a price"

Kai stood up and nodded towards Cross. The hybrid unholstered his sidearm and put it against the restrained man's left knee. Cross then gave the character a few moments to answer. The character didn't answer, which caused Cross to pull the trigger resulting in a deafening boom that reverberated throughout the small pantry. This boom was almost immediately punctuated by the screaming of the man. The projectile had left the barrel of Cross' sidearm and driven its way through the holographic knee resulting in major trauma to the knee and leaving a fist sized hole on the back of the knee. Blood and bits of tissue sprayed from the wound.

Kai looked over to Cross and said with a slight chuckle "Huh..that was more bloody than I expected"

After a few moments of screaming, the man had admitted to knowing where the necklace was located. Kai didn't expect the person who had been implicated.

"The Ambassador's daughter in law..." was the last words out of the mans mouth before Cross and Kai turned on their heels and headed back to the ballroom.

Reply #41

After firing his Webley Revolver point blank into the knee of their prisoner, Cross straightened and stuck a finger into his left ear, wiggling the finger and making a noise with his mouth that sounded like he was saying “Mawp” to try and alleviate the ringing from the revolver’s rapport. Kai made a comment about the mess that used to be the man’s knee, though Cross didn’t hear over the tinnitus.

The man was talking now, or rather screaming, revealing the identity of person currently in possession of the necklace. Cross still couldn’t hear.

Kai said something and took off. sprinting from the room.

”Mawp” Cross sounded by way of an uncomprehending reply as he hefted his revolver and took off after his friend. Cross’ world was muted as he sprinted after Kai, the lack of noise made by his footfalls seeming eerie as the ran full tilt back down the hallway towards the ballroom. As they thundered through the kitchen, Pierre jumped in surprise and alarm and took off running after them. One of the scullery maids poked her head into the pantry and let out a shriek of panic at the gruesome scene left behind, though her horrified wail was unheard by Cross’ ears, having been drowned out by the ever-present ringing and another “Mawp”.

As they reached the ballrooms doors and went crashing through, many of the guests jumped in alarm and surprise, as did Jillian and Annika. Cross skidded to a halt as he crossed the threshold, looking around the room. He saw Kai’s mouth moving as he addressed the room, and Jillian’s mouth moving as she asked Cross something, though all he heard was a muted murmur, the ringing having died down but not to the point where his hearing was fully restored.

”Kai, who are we after?” Cross yelled, hardly able to hear his own words as he scanned the room for anyone who might be trying to run, holding his Webley at the ready.

Reply #42
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | French Ambassador's Residence, London, 1889 | Holodeck 2 | USS Endeavour ] @Fife

Once they burst into the ballroom, surprising the guests, Annika and Jillian, Kai quickly scanned the room and observed them closely. The French Ambassador had entered the room to see what the commotion was all about. Kai then addressed the room,

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Mr. Ambassador, we have determined who has taken the necklace. I will gladly let the thief come forward on their own, otherwise we will have no choice but to publicly expose you here in front of all these guests.

Kai stood there and waited for the thief to do the right thing. As he waited, he heard Jillian ask Cross if he was okay, to which she got no reply, followed by Cross yelling.

"Kai, who are we after?" Kai figured he must be a little deaf following the gunshot inside such cramped quarters. Cross' hearing is obviously more sensitive, so it takes more time for him to recover.

Kai turned to his friend and smiled at him and said "All in good time my friend" to which Kai didn't get a reply. 

He didn't hear a word I said Kai thought as he chuckled to himself, Poor Cross

The French Ambassador approached the group in a huff, "I demand you expose the thief immediately!

Kai nodded to the Ambassador and started walking towards the guests, as he got closer to the guests he started talking.

"You see Mr. Ambassador, the whole case of the missing necklace was perplexing. The thief had to know where it was, they also had to know how to retrieve it without being caught by your security." Kai spoke as he was nearing the thief, "Now the only people that would know both things, is someone who is intimately familiar with this residence"

Kai motioned for Annika and Jill to come over to assist him as he slowly maneuvered his large frame through the group of people towards his intended target.

"It was a simple process of elimination, but the thief is...your daughter-in-law!" Kai finished saying which was followed by an audible gasp from everyone present in the room, sans Cross. As people were gasping, Annika and Jillian grabbed the daughter-in-law, one on each arm. Jillian reached in between the woman's breasts and pulled out the rather large and expensive necklace.

"Well...what do we have here?" as Jillian handed over the necklace to the Ambassador.

As soon as she put the necklace in the Ambassador's hand, the computer beeped.

[Story Complete] Came the mechanical voice as the characters dissolved into nothingness, followed by their surroundings, leaving the familiar hologrid room around them.

"What do you ladies say we get some drinks to celebrate?"

Kai turned to look at his friend Cross as the hybrid had his finger in his ear trying to solve his hearing problems.

Kai chuckled and patted him on his right shoulder as the three of them headed for the holodeck doors with Cross lagging behind. [/color][/color]

Reply #43

As Cross passed through the double doors which materialized in front of the group, he inwardly celebrated the fact that he could hear the noise the doors made as they closed behind him, leaving the four of them standing in the corridors of the Endeavour once more.

”Well, that was fun! Though I only got to shoot one person.” Cross said, still speaking louder than normal, though he was no longer shouting. ”Those old Earth revolvers make one hell of a mess!” Cross added with a chuckle.

”I bet you loved it.” Jillian retorted, a knowing smile gracing her lips.

”Absolutely!” Cross said with a dark grin, giving her a wink. He slipped his arm around her waist as he turned to the other two. ”So what do you think? Should we go for a drink and celebrate?”

”As long as you aren’t drinking that nasty Cardassian sludge.” Jillian teased.

”Yeah, that stuff just looks disgusting!” Kai said, wrinkling his nose with a disgusted look.

”Don’t wrinkle your face too much, Kai. You’ll end up looking like Wrinkles here!” Jillian said with a giggle, giving Cross a squeeze with the arm she had slipped around him. The gesture failed to wipe the glower off the hybrid’s face as he directed the unappreciative look at each of them in turn.

”Just for that I’m going to have two glasses of Kanar” Cross grumbled as he set off down the corridor. The other three kept their jibes coming as they made their way to the mess hall, their Victorian attire earning them some curious glances from the crew they passed. As Cross passed one of his Tactical NCOs he tipped his bowler hat at her, earning a giggle from the Trill woman and an elbow in the ribs from Jill.

”Ow! What was that for?” Cross grumbled as they walked.

”Just a reminder that a good soldier keeps his eyes front, Wrinkles.”

Cross grumbled something under his breath, though not loud enough for anyone to make out what was said. Kai got the distinct feeling that, while the words had been directed at Jillian, what Cross has uttered was not something she would have appreciate. Kai couldn’t help but grin at his dour friend.

”PO Narelle is harmless.” Annika said to Jill. ”She’s always trying to make your grumpy hybrid smile. It doesn’t happen very often when you aren’t around!” She said with a soft chuckle, earning an appreciative look from Cross.

”Are you trying to get out of a night shift or something?” Jill asked the other woman, still pretending to be jealous. The effect was spoiled by the way she relaxed following Annika’s words and the way she snuggled back into Crosses side.

As they entered the mess hall, Cross glanced over his shoulder and spoke to the other three. ”I’ll get first round. Kanars for everyone?” He asked, a dark grin plastered across his features once again.

”Not on your life, Wrinkles!” Jillian uttered with her own dark expression. Kai shook his head as Cross looked at him. Cross moved his gaze to Annika, giving her a smile.

”What the hell, I’ll try it!” Annika said, giving Cross a grin and Jillian a wink.

”Now I know you’re trying to get out fo night shift.” Jillian grumbled, giving Annika a suspicious glance as she and Annika made their way to a table, leaving Cross and Kai to fetch the drinks.

Reply #44

Kai and Cross walked towards the replicator to fetch the drinks for their table. Kai was still confused with the thought that Annika wanted to try Kanar. Had she ever seen that vile swill? Kai had just assumed that she hadn’t seen it, otherwise she wouldn’t want to try it.

Kai had been around too much Kanar during his stint on Cardassia after the war. The smell, the look, everything about it just disgusted him. Not to mention it reminded him about the Cardassians. He really disliked the Cardassians. Kai had lost a lot of friends during the war, and some of the Cardassians had said it was too bad more Starfleet officers didn’t die…which affected him.

Kai was shook back to reality by Cross; apparently Kai had been having a flash back about Cardassia all thanks to that shit Kanar.

Kai grabbed his Whiskey and Jillian’s Mai Tai from the replicator pad. He let Cross grab the Kanars. As they walked back to the table, Kai mentioned to Cross that they should do another holonovel program again soon. Cross nodded in apparent agreement with Kai. The duo approached the table and Kai sat down Jill’s drink in front of her.

”Thanks Kai! Jillian said while simultaneously patting Kai’s right bicep twice. It was Jillian’s thing whenever Kai gave her anything, which Kai found slightly odd at first, but didn’t question it.

Cross had set down Annika’s Kanar in front of her just as Kai was sitting down in his chair at the table. Kai undid the top button of his dress shirt to relax a bit more before taking a sip of his whiskey.

”You sure you want to drink that crap?” Kai asked Annika as she stared at the glass that was set in front of her.

Annika looked up from the glass at Kai and didn’t say anything but had a look of concern on her face. Kai smiled back at his girlfriend as she was braver than he was, at least when it came to Kanar.

Annika lifted the glass and took a sip of the thick liquid that filled the glass. She had some of the Kanar in her mouth. She sat the glass back down in front of her; however it was obvious she hadn’t swallowed any as of it. Her face was expressionless right now, but it was slowly changing into a ‘what have I done’ look. She swallowed the thick liquid that filled her mouth and immediately looked like she was going to throw up.

”She’s turning green! Jillian announced to the table.

Annika covered her mouth and jumped up from the table faster than a Klingon chasing an escaping Targ. She bolted from the table and full out sprinted towards the head; hopefully without vomiting all over the mess hall.

Kai and Jillian were left laughing so much that they were crying.

Reply #45

Cross took a long, appreciative sip of his kanar as he watched Annika. Kai’s girlfriend seemed to be experiencing discomfort, and while Cross didn’t see the green colour that Jillian had mentioned, Annika had certainly gone pale, he expression having changed to a blending of disgust and panic. A small smile spread over Cross’ face as Annika clasped her hands over her mouth and bolted from the table. He would have advised her against trying the drink if he’d known she had never had it before.

As Kai and Jillian burst into laughter Cross calmly placed his own glass on the table and reached over to retrieve Annika’s barely touched glass, slowly sliding if over to rest in front of him alongside his own. With that he raised his own glass once more and, raising the glass in salute to his remaining two companions, took another long draw of the thick liquid.

”Perhaps you should have advised her against trying kanar, Kai.” Cross said as he lowered his drink to the table, unable to hide the shit-eating grin that was taking over his features. ”I don’t think she liked it… Ow!” The addition at the end of his statement was prompted by Jillian slapping his arm while at the same time kicking his shin beneath the table. Cross adopted a victimized expression and rubbed his arm theatrically, giving Jillian a fearful look.

”Maybe her CO should have warned her about trying that horrible shit he likes to drink!” The blonde woman spoke in a scathing tone, but gave him a sly wink and a warm smile. ”Poor girl. I’ll go check on her.” With that, Jillian rose to her feet and moved off in the direction that Annika had so recently and speedily traveled.

With her departure, Cross turned to Kai and gave him a broad grin. ”Sorry I broke your woman. I’ll go get her another drink to get the taste out of her mouth.” He chuckled as he finished speaking, shaking his head slightly. ”Kanar has a tendency to linger…”

Cross rose and headed for the replicator, returning with a drink that Jillian had once told him about, something called a cosmo. Placing it in front of the seat which Annika had so hastily vacated, Cross sat once again and picked up one of the glasses, taking a long pull of the syrupy fluid before sighing contentedly and looking at Kai once again. ”So what sort of holonovel do you think we should try next time?” He asked, ”I vote something with more guns and less French people.”

Reply #46

"I vote something with more guns and less French people." Cross said with a shit eating grin on his face. Kai pondered his statement for a little while before coming to a realization for their next holonovel. Kai had gotten it from a friend of a friend before he transferred aboard the Endeavour, but still had yet to try it. He figured it met Cross' definition of more guns and less French people.

"Well I may have something that fits the bill" Kai said, followed by a sip of his Whiskey. "It's a spy thriller, basically we would try to stop someone's evil plot to destroy the world"

Cross looked intrigued and took another sip of his Kanar. Kai felt like he might have to sell it a little more for Cross to agree.

"I guarantee there will be more guns and less French people. This time, maybe don't fire your gun in such an enclosed space" Kai told Cross with a little wink at the end for good measure.

Their talk about the next holonovel was interrupted by Annika and Jillian coming back in to the Mess Hall. Annika looked a little worse for wear and seemed genuinely sick from the Kanar.

"I think I'm going to call it an evening" she managed to say even though it seemed hard for her to do.

Kai downed the remaining whiskey that was in his glass and stood up from the table in order to take Annika back to their quarters. Despite his outward appearance of a big, burly man; with Annika, he was a big softy. Kai walked over to Annika and put his arm around her to help her keep her balance. He smiled at Jillian and nodded as a thank you to Jill for taking care of Annika.

"Let's get you home honey" Kai said to Annika before turning his head towards Cross, "Holodeck 3 on Saturday at 1400". Kai didn't give Cross an opportunity to respond before him and Annika turned to the door and started to make their way to their newly shared quarters.

Reply #47
[ Lt. Cross | Mess Hall | USS Endeavour ]

Cross let a small smile play across his features as he heard Kai address Annika as “Honey”, which earned him another swat from Jillian. ”Don’t you dare make fun of them, Wrinkles!” Jillian warned him, giving him a stern look. Cross glared down at his drink at her use of the ridiculous pet name, taking a long drink of his kanar.

”What makes you think I would have said anything?” He asked as he lowered the glass, giving Jill a cheeky look.

”Because you’re the same asshole that let her drink that vile shit!” Jillian informed him in a cold tone. ”That poor girl. You could have at least warned her!” Jill shook her head at the hybrid who sat at the table with her. ”Part of me thinks you enjoyed that.”

”What would give you that idea?” Cross asked with feigned innocence, giving Jillian a bewildered look. ”How was I to know that she’d react so violently to a mere sip?”

”Because you’re the only person I know who can stomach that shit!” Jillian barked at him, swatting his arm again. ”Honestly!” Jill sighed and looked down to her own drink. She raised the glass and drained it’s contents before placing it back on the table and looking back up at Cross.

”Let’s get going. I’ve got an early shift tomorrow.” She said, rising to her feet. ”What was Kai saying about Saturday?”

”He wants us to try another holonovel. A spy thriller this time.”

”Sounds like fun!” Jillian said as they passed through the mess hall doors. ”If you’re lucky, maybe you’ll get to see me in a slinky cocktail dress!” She added teasingly, glancing at Cross over her shoulder as they walked.

I like this holonovel already! Cross thought as they headed off in the direction of his quarters.

Reply #48
[ Lt. Cross | Corridor outside Holodeck 3 | USS Endeavour ] @trevorvw

As the time neared 1400 hours, Cross strode down the corridors to meet Kai and the girls for their next holonovel program. He had once again dressed himself in the replicated garments which Kai had suggested. This time, rather than a brown suit from Earth’s Victorian era, he was dressed in a black tuxedo complete with bowtie. Kai had said they were going to be running a spy holonovel, and Cross found himself thinking that his current state of dress couldn’t possibly be practical attire in which to undertake covert operations.

As he rounded the final bend he saw Kai waiting outside the doors to Holodeck 3. Cross was relieved to find Kai in an almost identical, thought larger, tuxedo. A part of him had been worried that Kai had misled him as revenge for letting Annika try kanar the other day.

As Cross approached his friend he smiled, rolling his eyes as Kai theatrically tugged on the bowtie.

”Looking good, Kai.” Cross said as he came closer, giving his friend a nod. ”Though I don’t see what good these outfits will be while trying to commit espionage.”

”We’re gentlemen spies, Cross.” Kai informed him, ”We need to dress the part! The girls are already inside.”

With that, the two approached the holodeck, pausing as the doors slowly spread apart. They stepped across the threshold and found themselves entering a dimly lit lounge. The walls were done in dark colours, which combined with the dim lighting to create a cozy, secluded atmosphere. As their feet touched the floor, the sultry tones of a saxophone played around them, setting the mood of the room. Before them, Annika and Jillian sat at the lounge’s bar, Jillian clad in a sleek black cocktail dress that ended just above the knee, her bare legs cross as she sat on the stool, her free leg kicking slightly to the rhythm of the saxophone. Beside her Annika was similarly dressed, though the vibrant red of the brunette’s cocktail dress stood out much more than Jillian’s, adding a bright splash of colour to the otherwise dim and subdued interior of the lounge.

Cross could hardly tear his eyes away from Jillian as the two men approached the bar, the dress accentuating her form in a way that held Cross mesmerized. As they drew closer, he heard Kai whistle at the two women.

”You ladies look amazing!” Kai exclaimed, seating himself next to Annika.

”Hi.” Cross said awkwardly to Jill as he perched himself on the stool next to her.

”Hey Wrinkles! How do you like my slinky dress?” Jillian asked, giving her dumbstruck boyfriend a sly wink as she sipped at her cocktail. ”You look good in a tux! I may have to make you wear one more often!” Cross shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny, eliciting a giggle from the blonde woman.

Cross cleared his throat and turned his gaze to Kai. ”So how do we begin?”

As if in answer to his question, the barman approached the four of them, bringing along some sort of machine attached to a long, thin cord.

“Telephone for you, sir.” The barman said in a heavy British accent, holding out what Cross could only assume was the receiver of the telephone. He had heard of the old Earth communication devices before, but had never seen one.

Kai took the proffered receiver and held it to his head, with one part held against his ear and the other suspended just in front of his mouth. He listened for a moment, nodding his head, and then uttered the words ”We’ll be there soon, sir.” before handing the receiver back to the barman, who retreated to replace the phone on the counter. The barman returned a moment later and asked if they wanted drinks before they left.

”Give Wrinkles an Old Fashion.” Jillian said before Cross had a chance to respond. Then, glancing over at him, she added, ”None of the kanar crap today.” With a wink and a smile, she leaned over and pecked Cross on the cheek. ”You need an era appropriate drink.”

The barman nodded at the order and moved on, coming to stand in front of Kai. “And for you, sir?”

Reply #49
[ Lt. Kai Akoni | Holodeck 3 | USS Endeavour] @Fife

“And for you, sir?” The bartender inquired as he came to a stop in front of Kai, separated by only about 50 centimetres of polished oak which the bar top was made of.

”Vodka Martini” responded matter of factly

“Excellent choice sir! Shaken or stirred?” The bartender asked to ensure that he got the large man’s order correct.

”Shaken, not stirred”

The bartender nodded and went off to make their drink orders. Kai turned his attention to the sultry brunette in the form fitting, red dress sitting next to him. He smiled at her as his eyes caught her brightly coloured green eyes.

”You look absolutely beautiful” Kai said unabashedly

”You clean up alright yourself” Annika replied even though she thought more than that. She didn’t want her comments to go and stroke Kai’s ego.

The bartender returned to deliver Kai and Cross’ drinks pretty promptly considering there were no replicators in this time period.

The quartet of people taking place in the holonovel spent the next 15 minutes just making small talk while finishing their drinks. Kai thought this was a nice introduction to the setting before they started the proper holonovel. 

Jillian was the first person to suggest that they actually start, ”Maybe we should start?” and as she finished her sentence, she stood up and the rest of the group followed suit.

They made their was out the door and on to the sidewalk outside of the bar. It was a warm summer evening, with the sun just beginning to set. Kai took a deep breath and smelt the beautiful fresh air which mixed with Annika’s perfume to make an intoxicating concoction. A man in a black suit opened the back door of a limousine and motioned for the group to enter it. The group all climbed aboard and the driver closed the door and proceeded forward to the driver’s seat. He then whisked the group through the streets of London for about 20 minutes until they entered an underground parking garage. The car parked and Kai opened the door and noticed a door which was flanked by two British soldiers with what appeared to be assault rifles. Kai helped Annika and Jillian out of the car and Cross was the last to disembark. 

Kai, Cross and the ladies went through the door and down a long hallway and up an elevator for what seemed like forever, before coming into a small office with a woman sitting at the desk. On the opposite side of the room from which they entered, there was another door which was closed. The nameplate on the woman’s desk said Margaret Pound. 

”He’s waiting for you sir” the woman said to Kai as he nodded and proceeded to open the closed door, unsure of who or what to expect on the other side.

Simple Audio Video Embedder