Skip to main content
Topic: Suus Mahna Award Poll 2017 (Read 4062 times) previous topic - next topic

Suus Mahna Award Poll 2017

Awarded to the main contributing writers in an action scene that stands out way above the norm in terms of pace, thrill, scope and stakes.

The poll will run for 7 days, in which those who cast their vote should take a few minutes to read the linked scenes first. The nominee(s) who get the most votes will receive the Suus Mahna Award. If you are a Nominee, you may not vote on your own scene.

Here are the nominations!

1. CHXINYA, FOR HIS DEPICTION OF RAVENHOLM IN EPISODE 04: SIMULCAST

Forum Name of Nominee: @chXinya

Reason for Nomination: Exceptional pacing, imagination and clarity in description

Motivation: With only three posts within a thread, many would struggle to establish a character within a scene, yet chXinya not only managed to show Ravenholm as an integral part of the relevant boarding team but also provided an exciting and unique method of dispatching security guards. Selena’s actions and acrobatics were well described, making it easy for me to see clearly exactly what was going on in my mind’s eye.

Each of chXinya’s posts within the thread were of a perfect length, giving just enough to tantalize the reader, but pushing the action forward in a fast and speedy manner. This, added with the ingenious interactions between Selena and Federation technology, showed something very special. When I think back to this part of theurgy’s story. I always come back to Ravenholm on Starbase 84, flipping across the ceiling, before convincing the computer into doing what she wants. chXinya managed the incredibly hard balance of depth, pace and enjoyability.

Links:
Being a badass
Ceiling flipping fun
Convincing computers

2. CANADIANVET, DOC M. & AUCTOR LUCAN, FOR THE BATTLE BRIDGE FIGHT WITH T'RENA

Forum Name of Nominee: @CanadianVet, @Auctor Lucan and @Doc M.

Reason for Nomination: Rich detailing, realism and fundamental grounding of true combat.

Motivation: In a series of posts, CanadianVet and Auctor Lucan set out to create one very epic battle of the fates that would determine the course of events that would follow. Shoutout to @Doc M. as well for that glorious portrayal with Billy Bob. All the participating writers did not hold back on providing a very detailed description of the characters and the scenery as they engaged and interacted in mortal combat.

More importantly, they did not encroach on becoming unnecessarily long-winded or monotonous. The flow of writing was smooth, perfect and just right, keeping the pace, holding the interest and the progress constant. Every post was a cliffhanger as the outcome was genuinely uncertain until it came about. And it was an epic ending for a major villain in the story

Links:
Invictus

3. KALIGOS, FOR HIS DEPICTION OF TRISTAN KENDRICK'S ASSAULT ON THE EOC TOWER

Forum Name of Nominee: @Kaligos

Reason for Nomination: I want to nominate Kaligos for Captain Tristan Kendrick's performance in Cost of Truth.

Motivation: It was very easy to develop a connection to this character and very hard to see him go so quickly. His life on-screen was short, but his death felt meaningful regardless. Each of Kendrick's posts built on that connection with the reader, but also built up the anticipation; you knew he was not leaving this battle long before it began. The anticipation made all his posts that much sweeter.

Out of all posts with this character, his final one stands out the most. His death taking down a villain with everything he had left was not just noble, but incredibly enjoyable, if sad to read. I feel this post is of high quality specifically because of the build-up preceding it though. There are too many posts to link to each of them, but each one had importance that lead to this final scene, which had readers sitting at the edges of their seats, cheering Kendrick on as he faced heaven and walked backwards into hell.

I wasn't too keen on nominating for Blaze of Glory because Kendrick wasn't really meant to last long from the start, so I thought that might've disqualified him, but I'll submit the nomination for that one if Kaligos doesn't get the Suus Mahna award!

Links:
Aerowing vs. EOC Tower - Part 1
Aerowing vs. EOC Tower - Part 2

4. DOCRENO, FOR HIS DEPICTION OF MARCUS SLAYTON IN EPISODE 04: SIMULCAST

Forum Name of Nominee: @DocReno

Reason for Nomination: For his portrayal of captain Marcus Slayton.

Motivation:  At no time during the battle did he flinch or waver in the slightest on his convictions concerning the Theurgy and her crew. He was truly a magnificent captain to be pitted against, because no matter what may have gone on inside his head, he held fast to his training and his orders.  His battle scenes were both humorous and exciting to read; his insults were cutting and clever. I really rooted for him even though he was the enemy.

Links:
1) https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,1200.msg9685.html#msg9685
2) https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,1200.msg9750.html#msg9750
3) https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,1202.msg9793.html#msg9793

Thank you in advance for your voting in this award category!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Simple Audio Video Embedder