Skip to main content
Topic: Science & Soul 2021 | Award Nominations (Read 3167 times) previous topic - next topic

Science & Soul 2021 | Award Nominations

SCIENCE & SOUL 2021 | AWARD NOMINATIONS

The polls for the Inner Light and Pakled Order award polls have been announced, so make sure you go there and cast your votes! :)

Nominations for two new Writing Awards are now open until the 14th of November, where two separate polls will be posted on the 15th of November for the two award categories and their nominations respectively.

This time the awards are these:

This is dedicated to a writer who mines Stark Trek canon for technical or cultural details, or built a species that truly stand out in originality. To read posts from this writer is to feel as if one is walking in the shoes of a real person in the Star Trek universe. Details should have long-lasting effects on the Theurgy story as a whole.

Earlier Recipients (not eligible): @Brutus

This award is bestowed on a writer who demonstrated extraordinary character development and depth of writing. The character's plot goals are long-term with life-altering changes.

Earlier Recipients (not eligible): None currently active

NOMINATION RULES

Those who make a nomination in Science & Soul 2021 will receive 1 Story Token. Here are the rules for Award Nominations:

• Nominations should be posted in the announced nomination thread posted on the forum (here). Anonymous nominations may be made to the Game Moderator via PM on the forum, who will then post the nomination in the nomination thread.
  • Nominations are to be made before the announced nomination time expires.
  • Nominations may be made by any member that isn't an Applicant.
  • Self-nominations are not permitted.
  • There is no limit to the number of nominations one can make (but will not get extra Tokens).
  • Prior winners of the same award are not eligible.
  • Each nomination should include a motivation. The nomination write-up is 50 words minimum and should concentrate on why the recipient(s) specifically is/are deserving of the award. You should always include one or multiple links.

All nominations will be added to the polls that will determine the winner of the awards. 

NOMINATION FORM

• Forum Name of Nominee(s):
  • Primary Reason for Nomination:
  • Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional):
  • Motivation & Links (50 words minimum):

Of course, you should only make nominations where at least one of the writers are still an active writer on the forum. There is no need to nominate scenes or a species where the writer(s) that wrote it have already left the sim.

I look forward to reading your nominations here in this thread! :)

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Science & Soul 2021 | Award Nominations

Reply #1
Researcher's Medal:

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Tae

Primary Reason for Nomination: Tae only joined the sim recently (well, ish...sweet merciful donkey balls, has it already been ten months!?). I want to highlight his general commitment to detail and excellent characterisation in relation to profession.

Motivation & Links: With Victor, Tae has drawn heavily on his real life experience to create and write a character who is...well, real is the best word I can come up with. He consistently keeps up with the lingo and attitude one would expect from a grease monkey, embracing the technical aspects of Star Trek vigorously. That even extends OOC, as Auctor Lucan has been working on the Romulan Stalker project with Tae's help among others. Tae's clear passion for this part of Trek warrants recognition, and I really feel that he has enriched the Theurgy story as a whole.

Recovery and Repair

Forum Name of Nominee: @jreeves1701

Primary Reason of Nomination: Not enough of us are talking about Larrant. This makes me sad. We need to talk about Larrant.

Motivation and Links: jreeves did something bonkers with Larrant and Sithick. They are wildly different characters, and he writes with vigour and adventure, embracing their alien aspects and going absolutely bananas. It's glorious to read at times just for how far jreeves goes. His writing of Larrant in Sabine Crash Site was a great light-hearted diversion, breaking up the more serious action with Larrant's banter with his Klingon...uh...friend? Comrade? Potential love interest? Who the heck knows? Larrant is a noncorporeal bloke in a box and it's insane. It's awesome. I want more.

Sabine Crash Site

Depth of Character

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Stegro88

Primary Reason for Nomination: I really want to highlight one of the sim's best character writers. He has a lot of them, and maintaining the level of quality that Steg does is no mean feat.

Motivation & Links: I think that more than anyone over the past year or so, Stegro's characters (specifically Donna, Mickayla and Samala) have all experienced considerable changes. Donna has been wrestling with a personality split, Mickayla has been embracing her new personal freedom and her new Klingon status, while Samala has been grappling with her new life in uniform.  All three are great examples of how creating a terrific character is only the first step. The real meat of the story comes from how those characters change the story, and how those characters themselves are changed by it. The relatively short IC duration of the Theurgy story makes dramatic character development difficult to write, but Stegro has been showing us all how it's done.

Material Girls
What Course Shall We Set?
Septenary Medical Wing

Forum Name of Nominee: @Summerdawn

Primary Reason for Nomination: Summerdawn has been with the sim for a long while, and his character work definitely deserves recognition, particularly for what he's done lately.

Motivation and Links: With K'Ren, Summerdawn has been on a roll. He's written her through a great deal, from marriage to parenthood to the loss of both, with all the grief and heartrending therein. SD could honestly be nominated for either award here, given how thoroughly alien K'Ren is, and I had to struggle with which category to throw him into, but this feels appropriate. SD is one of the writers whom I'm really excited to read when I see they've posted, and he has thrown his poor kitty through the grinder lately. I'm really looking forward to what shenanigans he has planned for her, just as soon as K'Ren is done turning Havenborn's brain and body into mush.

One Last Chance to Say Goodbye

Reply #2
Researchers Medal:

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @uytrereee

Primary Reason for Nomination: Uytreree has constantly been killing it with Frank and the level of knowledge he brings to the character. From seeing him with the Intel Drone, to the thread with the Breen, to now the Tesla modification, it's really cool to constantly see the level of work that he puts into the technical knowledge that Frank brings to the table in these threads.

Motivation & Links (50 words minimum): For Frank, it's cool to see the real world know-how that he brings to the table and puts into play for Star Trek. Typically, even in my own writing, it's a lot of technobabble that just 'makes sense' because we accept that. However, I know that he also puts in a fair amount of behind the screen work to not only make it look and sound like Star Trek, but for it to make sense within the real rules of science. It can even be a bit intimidating sometimes, which is amazing and challenging to respond to! Every time I see one of the new tech threads with him in it, I'm instantly drawn to reading it over, and he also does a great job of playing what we know as a 'boomer' in Star Trek, with the son of a freighter Captain. Looking forward to seeing more, Uyt.

From Above It Will Prey
Tesla Gunship

Depth of Character

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Ellen Fitz

Primary Reason for Nomination: We started 'Notesharing and Nightcaps' as a meeting between two characters that simply traveled together on their way to Theurgy, and through that thread it was slowly revealed just how deep Enyd goes as a character. Every single post, I was looking forward to more and more, and getting to know that character just a little bit better.

Motivation & Links (50 words minimum): Through that IC discussion with Enyd, I was able to read through her mindset, her trauma, and her history in a natural and fluid way. None of it felt forced, and the revelations that were brought forward in that conversation continually kept the thread and character incredibly engaging. From her history on Cardassia, to her history with her ancestors, and the know-how that she brings to something as simple as the different kinds of horses, Enyd as a character always surprises me and drives me to read more and more about her. I really look forward to reading more. Her character has clear goals of trying to be a better officer with each passing day, and it's a joy to read her threads and watch the character slowly morph, despite her only being aboard for a short time.

Notesharing and Nightcaps

Reply #3
Researcher’s Medal

Forum Name of the Nominee: @uytrereee
Primary Reason for Nomination: Utter insanity when it comes to the detailed relaying of scientific information relative to Trek Technobabble.
Secondary Reason for Nomination: For being able to relay such detailed Trek Technobabble in a fun, understandable, and totally “Frank” way.
Motivations & Links: When AL approved my request to have the Intelligence Department develop a modified version of the Tovarek Drone for use in a ground support role, ala a Trekified Predator Drone, there was one writer I thought of who could really deliver on such an idea, and that was Uytrereee. The guy just knows his stuff, as was evidenced by the incredible depth of detail and research he put into very real, and very sci-fi/trek concepts for the drone. But what really makes Uytreree and his writing as Frank so damned good, is how he manages to take that incredible depth of detail and research, and relay it in such a manner that doesn’t leave his partner completely baffled by it. It’s like his character, Frank, is the perfect filter mechanism for Trek technobabble, and can take something utterly confusing, but say it in a way that makes a world of sense. You can bring him a simple idea, and he will advance and upgrade it, but do it in a way that feels like a real Engineer would do, which when you consider the writer’s background, is natural.

From Above, it will prey. | Rapax Fit Fidelis

Depth of Character

Forum Name of the Nominee: @stardust
Primary Reason for Nomination: The manner in which Stardust’s character, Samantha Rutherford, has evolved can appear subtle, but in reality, it’s at times quite drastic, and absolutely game-changing when you uncover the way she’s done it.
Secondary Reason for Nomination: Her profound and unrivaled skill with prose and poetic verbiage cannot be overstated, and when you take the time to read between the cracks, you really start to appreciate the brilliance of nuance and themes at work, and how insanely effective she uses an NPC to enhance her character.
Motivations & Links: It’s funny, because I think the most drastic example of how Samantha Rutherford as a character has evolved, comes from a thread which doesn’t even directly involve Samantha Rutherford. Instead, it involves Sam’s ex-husband, Brody Miller; a former Starfleet Intelligence Operative sent on a mission to recover a fellow spy who’s gone off the reservation, as it were. It’s taken some time, but I’ve really come to understand how an NPC from Rutherford’s past, has had such an impact and effect on the main character said NPC is reliant upon. A lot of us use NPCs to help drive an active situation, as sort of background characters, but what Stardust has done with Body Miller, is tell an intricate tale, reflecting on a side of Samantha Rutherford that appears obscured, but in reality, is starring you right in your face the whole time. It’s incredible, and too an extent puts to shame our simplistic use of NPCs, especially if we’re using them as some sort of status booster for our main characters. It’s with Brody, Sam’s ‘deceased’ ex-husband, that we can see the long-lasting effects of such a loss in Sam, and how she is reticent to open herself up to others, yet at the same time is desperate for the love and affection she’s been missing since his loss. This right here is a master-class in how you extoll the long-lasting grief of a character. And I’m certain, that if you were to take the time to read the insane wealth of writing she has made since coming to Theurgy, which is vast, you’ll really pick up on the parts of Sam’s character that are a direct result of her past with Brody. It’s something I slowly came to understand over the course of writing with Stardust, and once I could see what was happening, how she had evolved because of Brody, it was a revelatory moment that made me swear out loud at how brilliant it is.

Operation ‘Spark’ - Betazed , ... Once it’s Gone, Two Moons & Pretty much everything she’s written with the character of Samantha Rutherford.

Reply #4
Depth Of Character

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Swift
Primary Reason for Nomination: Reading Andrew and Kate is almost like watching a real person experience these things.
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum): From the beginning, Swift has Worked to construct a character so immersive in Andrew Fisher that it is hard not to be impressed. His willingness to explore not only the positive but also the negative aspects of his characters lives, history and motivations is a inspiration to all of us in how we can better write our own characters and their internal, and external, growth and conflicts. I salute you, sir.

Operation: 'Spark' - Betazed
Operation: 'Dinner Out'

Reply #5
Depth of Character

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @BipSpoon
Primary Reason for Nomination: Exemplary adaption of an inherited character
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum): Taking on an inherited character is a unique challenge, in that the writer has both to honor the spirit of the character past played, as well as carry them on using their own creative vision. Cameron Henshaw is a character with a very deep history on sim. I've truly enjoyed reading how Bip has injected her own life into Cam, building on past and existing relationships, as well as exploring new threads with Nicander. Drawing on experience from Q'onos as a signals officer, to build a character that is growth focused, rather than grief focused has been a unique and refreshing read, expertly written by Bip.

https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,3261.msg33414.html#msg33414

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Depth of Character (I had to do two, I couldn't choose)

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @stardust
Primary Reason for Nomination: Amazing development of Samantha Rutherford
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum): Getting to be part of, and watching Samantha grow from a new officer, just looking to carve out a cubbyhole for Diplomacy, to the strong and guiding influence that she is over the Theurgy's mission today has been a true joy. The way that Stardust is able to approach her character provides a true context of reality, with a character that has real strengths and real flaws. An expert in her trade, and yet a novice at other matters of life, watching Stardust play her character, and contribute to the storyline in a real way, has encouraged me as a writer to increase the depth of my own character. Her word choice, and poetic use of proseful phrasing, sharp references, and the expression of true raw emotions through a continuing storyline, rather than in snapshots, has been a pleasure to follow.

I chose an early scene to really show where the character came from, and I think we know where she is now: https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2971.msg27813.html#msg27813

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Researcher's Award

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Tae

Primary Reason for Nomination: In a short period of time, Tae's had a real impact on myself, and the scenes and projects he's brought forward, have driven the team to a higher ground.

Motivation & Links: I haven't had the opportunity to write with Tae all that much recently. But every project he's come up with, and scene we've been in together, his real grasp of realistic technical applications, and fine scope, drives my writing to a higher ground, and pulls the team up with himself. I think the way that Tae inclusively, and creatively comes up with ideas that function as story vessels, while being just plain cool, is a real credit to him as a writer. I look forward to seeing what else this mad genius comes up with from here. If there was a nomination for plain creativity, he'd be top of my list.

https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,3166.msg32510.html#msg32510

https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,3267.msg33532.html#msg33532

Simple Audio Video Embedder