Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [0745 hrs] Muffins and radiation: the breakfast of...well, not champions. (Read 2361 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [0745 hrs] Muffins and radiation: the breakfast of...well, not champions.

CM 1 Nara Nueva 0700 | Deck 17 | Vector 03 | Enlisted Quarters

Yesterday had been eventful for Nara, she had started the day as a pariah at the Embassy on Qo'noS, and now, here she was on the Theurgy. Possibly still a pariah of some sort, that was yet to be determined. Sleeping had been a distant and fitful memory. The athletic woman had tossed and turned all night and hadn't seen hide-nor-hair of whomever her roommate was supposed to be. That suited her just fine. What she found irksome was waking up with the time difference that she got from Qo'noS. That could be solved with raktajino and a plate of Gagh. But she had to remember that she was on a Starfleet ship so that the gagh would be terrible from the replicator.

And so it was that Nara found herself in the cramped enlisted quarters eating a bowl of limp gagh and some overly strong raktajino to wash it down with. She wasn't idle, though, and she knew who her ultimate Commanding Officer would be, a Lieutenant Vanya. And with her current clearance level, alls he could get from the dossier on her was her name and a picture. The picture as it happened showed a rather attractive Romulan woman, and that gave Nara an idea. What was a better way than to ingratiate herself to her new commanding officer than with a tray of muffins? And so it was that she replicated a tray of a dozen muffins, blueberry, bran, lemon, and most prominent of the dozen were six bright blue 'kheh' muffins, which she'd discovered was the grain that made up Romulan Ale. Fortunately, the muffins weren't alcoholic, and the grain itself wasn't illegal.

What better way to say 'happy to be here, boss' than with a tray of muffins and a taste of 'home.' There was one way, scientist to scientist. Digging through her secure storage locker, Nara dug out her paper journal with some snippets of her reconstructed work on Thalaron radiation. She hadn't strictly been allowed to take these notes, so they were sparse and inconsistent. Most of the notes were bits that she'd been able to jot down from memory and write out by hand. But still, the groundwork for how Thalaron radiation actually functioned was there. The theories are spelled out in broken formulae and incomplete mathematical proofs.

When all of this was ready, Nara had only a few minutes to be early for her shift. So making sure her uniform dress was smooth and snug on her body, she took a deep breath and collected the tray of muffins and her notes on Thalaron radiation, and she headed to the nearest turbolift. Not knowing where Lieutenant Vanya would be today, she was taking one hell of a chance with this particular course of action.

CM 1 Nara Nueva | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | Outside Department Head Quarters | attn: @Number6

Nara made her way through the corridors holding the tray of muffins and her notebook, checking the names or departmental titles on the doors. Once she finds Vanya's Quarters, Nara presses the 'doorbell' to announce her presence.

"Crewman First class Nara Nueva to see Lieutenant Vanya."  Hopefully, Vanya would be in her quarters. If not, Nara dearly hoped that the door would alert Vanya wherever she was. Anyway, it was still 15 minutes before she needed to be in the Physics lab down on deck 16. Hopefully, that wasn't where the Lieutenant was. Possibly waiting for her new lab tech, though why the CSO would even be waiting to greet a lab technician, much less a disgraced one, was a mystery barely worth the consideration.

Re: Day 02 [0745] Muffins and radiation: the breakfast of...well, not champions.

Reply #1
[lt. Vanya | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | Outside Department Head Quarters | attn: @Tae

Vanya forwent breakfast, not that she needed the nutrition.  She did enjoy eating, the texture of food and drink, not to mention the tastes.  However it wasn’t necessary, and following her promotion she needed to get a few pieces of grim business out of  the way.  Since her arrival on Theurgy, she had shared quarters with Vanya.  What had begun as an old friend giving another a place to stay during a difficult time had expanded into a more permanent arrangement. 

Vanya had been “offered” quarters, but with one thing and another she hadn’t had chance to accept them.  Given her burgeoning relationship with Nat, the need had evaporated.  With the death of her predecessor, she had automatically been allocated her predecessor’s quarters.  Vanya and Nat spoke, the science officers quarters contained a few items that would be useful to the Android, including an advanced computer, with real time connections to the science labs.  On a personal note it would be useful for Vanya to have a place to keep her personal projects, such as her attempts to create a new android. 

So, after this was agreed, she had the unhappy duty of packing away her predecessor’s things.  Much like her, he had joined the ship following the loss of his own.    This left precious little in the way of personal artifacts.  Still, she packed his uniforms, his clothes.  She checked his pads, they were mostly his research  She copied them into the database, and placed them in the box.  She sealed them.  The small crate would be taken to a grim corner of the cargo bays with other such containers, waiting to be reunited with their owners’ families when Theurgy is back in Starfleet. 

She was about to pick up the box, and take it to the cargo bay, when the door chime sounded.  Vanya set the box to one side

“Come in”  she said. 

A human female in a blue science uniform entered.  She appeared to be in her mid thirties.  She quickly remembered the roster update she had seen, this was Crewman Nueva, she had been a Starfleet officer that had lost her commission.    She siged, reviewing her personnel files had been one of the tasks she had meant to do.  After she announced her presence, Vanya stepped out of the dim section to introduce herself. 

“Welcome aboard.  May I help you?”
Inhabiting my head are:

[Lt. Vanya |Assistant Science Officer| USS Theurgy]

[Lt. J.G Foval |Assistant Diplomatic Officer |USS Theurgy]

Re: Day 02 [0745] Muffins and radiation: the breakfast of...well, not champions.

Reply #2
CM 1 Nara Nueva | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | Department Head Quarters | attn: @Number6

Nara didn't expect to get invited inside her CO's quarters, but she'd certainly take the invitation. Nara had to be bold and sure of herself now. Being on the Theurgy was a new opportunity for her, and it was a second chance for her to truly be helpful in a proper science department for the first time since her Captain's Mast. Thinking of all of the ways this could go badly couldn't help her, though. So it was with barely a moment's hesitation that she stepped inside, holding the covered tray of muffins level before her, with her notebook on top of the breakfast sweets.

The auburn-haired woman is doing her level best to present a confident posture, shoulders squared, and straight spine, her steps graceful and precise. Overall, her posture wasn't smooth or glamorous, nor was it the posture of someone who had taken etiquette lessons. Her stance was that of an athlete, trained and precise that only endless repetition and training would show how someone carried themselves. That same physical rigor and determination carried over to every move of the chessboard of her career, and here in Lieutenant Vanya's quarters was an opening move. Not a pawn carefully moved forward, leaving someone to wonder about what the next move would be.

Nara was a Knight moved up from the back row on the first move, a bold and aggressive strategy, one that befitted this dark horse of a fallen officer. Her boots padding softly and precisely on the carpet might as well have been the sharp click of a chess master setting that first piece down.

"I wanted to introduce myself directly, Lieutenant Vanya. I come bearing a statement and muffins. The statement is a binder of what I've been able to reconstruct of my research notes and theories on Thalaron radiation. I understand that my chances of working directly on anything may be limited for the foreseeable future, especially in light of my previous conduct. But I wish to present to you what I can do if you see a need for it. And in a more prosaic fashion, I wanted to provide muffins to you and the others I'll be working with beginning today. As I've yet to meet any science department that scorns baked goods, muffins seemed a great place to start. The blue ones are Kheh-grain, if you are wondering." Nara's tone of voice was precise, polished, and carried an unusual accent compared to most Humans. The Vegan accent featured clipped vowels and almost hissed S's. From the way she spoke, it was clear that she had planned out what to say in advance and had gone with the "lay it all out" approach instead of anything more subtle. While she was being polite, she did want the Lieutenant to know that her mind hadn't atrophied in her break from rigorous scientific work. Also, she hoped that Vanya would appreciate the highly aromatic Romulan grains used ins ome of the muffins.

Then, she extended her arms, presenting the muffin tray and her reconstructed notes towards the Lieutenant, the prominent offerings fully presented and on display to the taller woman. Nara didn't make any move to relax or sit down, not taking such casual actions, but she does allow a smile to trace its way onto her face. It was an expression that had been worn far too seldom on the woman's face over the last few years, but it came naturally to the woman once more. The ease of the expression reappearing was evident. Clearly, she had some hope for her future.

"I am also wondering what sort of projects I'll be assisting with shortly. I know that my transfer here is somewhat unusual compared to most on-boardings, so I don't know specifically with whom and on what I'll be working."  This had been a calculated addition, something she hadn't initially considered asking. Still, with the Romulan woman having given only the most perfunctory of greetings, Nara wanted to be bold in covering the angles on the board. It's whys he'd chosen the opening gambit that she had, even as she admitted the fact that she'd likely only be assisting with other's work.

Reply #3
Lt. Vanya | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | Department Head Quarters | attn: @Tae

Thaleron Radiation.  Vanya hoped that it would be months, years, if ever she heard that particular form of radiation mentioned again.  It had cost the life of her mentor as an Android, and it had been the cause of her last mission, that had resulted in death and injury.  She flicked through the notes.  The formulae were familiar, and from what she could tell there were some interesting starting ooints, but at the end of the day, it was just too dangerous. 

And yet

With the danger that they were facing, the hidden foe, Vanya knew that it didn’t hurt to have some help. 

“I am afraid that If we were still part of Starfleet, at least if Starfleet wasn’t under the control of dangerous parasites, I would either have to report this now and clap you in irons or…”  she paused as she closed the binder “…or I would be under arrest myself.”  She gestured for the crewman to enter the room.  She eased herself down on the couch and  set the closed folder down.   She rested her long fingertips on the folder and tented them above it. 

“Fortunately for you we are not exactly Starfleet.  The day may come when we are.  And there will be some Admiral, or Senator, annoyed that we are looking like heroes, and while they might be innocent of the crimes of the enemy, they are butt hurt that their law and order failed, and will want to come down on us.  Just having this research could give them ammunition. "

Vanya looked up at the crewman stood at attention.  Her age, her bearing and her presentation suggested that she could have been a peer of Vanya’s.  Everything except for the black stylised recantagle on the collar, where Vanya had two gold circles. 

And yet.   

“Crewman, we aren’t entirely different.  I’m an android, a Romulan Android, a Romulan Android that was designed to kill people the Tal’Shiar didn’t like.    I was given free will by my creator, and when the project that I was part of was um, discontinued, she sent me to Federation space.  Once I proved I wasn’t the worst infiltration scheme in history, I chose to join Starfleet” 

Her full red lips twitched at the discussion of her difficult days at the Academy.  “Despite graduating near the top of my class, no one trust me  I was appointed as a data analyst on the Morsaka Array.  I had to live with things for a long while.”

She picked up the binder.  “This will be your chance  At the moment I am still getting a handle on my predecessors work.  Until then I will need you to support the rest of the team.    I will discuss this with the Captain – if and only if – they agree, I will discuss your research with them.  Until then I am going to keep this sealed up, if anyone tries to access it, the work will be destroyed.  And I must ask you not to recreate it.  Can you do that? "
Inhabiting my head are:

Reply #4
CM 1 Nara Nueva | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | Department Head Quarters | attn: @Number6

Vanya's reaction to her research was about what she had expected, unfortunately, and she grimaces slightly at her research getting sent up to the Captain, but that might work out for the best in his particular case. Still, it would go nowhere if she didn't bring up the critical point. The carefully planned move had gone awry. She should have seen these consequences coming, her research taken from her for the second time in her career. There was only one option left, and candor could not be planned out.

"Lieutenant, I have already suffered the consequences of engaging in that research. It's why I was here on Qo'nos, as far from any research posting as possible. But I would ask that you take a close look at the last few pages. Everything before is theories on how it works and affects organic matter, all of what we confirmed from information gathered after Shinzon's coup. But the final few pages are my theories on how to shield against it. I had moved to practical testing under secured conditions at the Daystrom Institute. I believe that my work on shielding against it shows promise, and I would suggest that you suggest that Captain Ives pay attention to it." Nara's voice was polite and even, though a bit of urgency had crept its way into her cadence, her words coming quicker and nearly into a giant run-on sentence in places. She dearly wanted to be helpful, and her research into this energy that the Romulans had so effectively weaponized was probably the only foot in the door she had.

"I realize that my research will give them ammunition against us, me even being on board very well might. But I believe that this research was illegal to prevent us from developing countermeasures against it like I was trying to do. With the evidence Captain Ives has shown revealing the nature of the infestation and how they're controlling different factions across the quadrant, I believe it is reasonable to assume research into and protection against Thalaron radiation made illegal by the Parasites. After all, you can only protect against a weapon by knowing how it works. Anyway, yes, this is why I got demoted from Lieutenant Junior Grade, but I happened to be right, so Starfleet sent me to Qo'nos doing data analysis."  Nara shrugged slightly at that, still retaining her more formal posture. She'd finally run the other things that Vanya had said through her mind, and a frown turned her lips down, her brow furrowing in concentration.

"I think I remember hearing those rumors at the Academy. I think I remember some of the Junior classmen calling one of their own 'android.' I'm surprised to learn there was any truth to that, but there are always assholes. It being true or not, and there was no excuse for that." Nara frowns again, thinking that Vanya did look vaguely familiar. Nara might have even had some classes together with Vanya since they were only a year apart in their Academy years.

"If there's one thing we both learned in the Academy, it is how to work as part of a crew. I'll undertake whatever tasks you assign to me with my full drive and dedication. Now, Shall we go to the lab? I don't know if I even have access, Starfleet was rather through in barring me from any scientific facilities after my 'court-martial.'" Her tone of voice was dry and adopted a precise professional tone of voice even then. Nara was done relaxing and letting herself slip into anything more casual. The Scientist wanted to prove that she was still worthy of wearing the uniform. She'd certainly gone off script, mildly surprised about a potentially shared past.

Reply #5
[Lt. Vanya| 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | Department Head Quarters | attn: @Tae

Vanya could tell that she had hit some nerves in the way that she had spoken to the other woman.   There was no doubt that she could have been – and probably was – someone who would have been Vanya’s contemporary, possibly even a colleague at some point down the line.     To take such a adversarial role felt wrong.  

“I will play devil’s advocate with one more thing.   We live on ships that insulates us from the cold and radiation of space viva containment fields and bulkheads.   You essentially rely on a series of computer chips that prevent the cold vacuum of space from freezing your lungs.  We get from point a to point b via a controlled matter/antimatter reaction that could destroy us completely if it goes wrong.    To say nothing of the transporters.   Starfleet has trusted and perfected this technology for centuries.   Despite this, all of these technologies have malfunctioned in some way, yet we continue to use them.   My point is… if we still tinker with all of that technology, why would we want to deny thaleron research?   It must be because of the risks.   

She didn’t like being so negative   “That being said, technology needs to start somewhere.    I will bring it to the Captain’s attention.” 
She thought about her time at the Academy as Nueva describes the rumours that swirled around her.    Nat, and the various people she worked with in her final years told her lots of rumours that had been perpetrated by those who were scared or mistrustful of her.    The secret agent sent by Romulus to influence and sow discontent over the next generation of Starfleet’s finest.    The black ops Starfleet android being given Starfleet Training before she is deposited in Romulan space.   The praetor’s renegade sex doll that had broken free from her master.    Technically this was the closest to the truth, as she had escaped her masters, and she was no longer part of a clandestine scheme.   

“I believe a human poet once said that the only thing worse about being talked about is not being talked about.    Nice to hear the legends go on.”  

She felt a pang of regret she stood up and stopped shy of putting a reassuring hand on Nara’s shoulder.  
“You have access to all of the labs.”   Vanya said.   “If I want someone to bring coffee or a hazmat guy, I’ll create a hologram to do it.   You are a brilliant scientist   You wouldn’t be in the team otherwise.   Shall we go?” She stood to one side and gestured towards the door..     

Inhabiting my head are:

Reply #6
CM 1 Nara Nueva | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | corridor to Turbolift, en route to Science labs | attn: @Number6  @Scavenger01

Nara stood a bit more casually when Vanya explained herself and clued Nara into her thoughts on the matter. This would work, and it was a better outcome than it had first appeared to be, so that mattered. Nara let out a breath that she hadn't realized she had been holding in.

The quote from whoever the poet was went unrecognized, but she smiled regardless. The athletic scientist seeing to have calmed down even if everything she said and did was still being planned and plotted in advance. All in all, it was an excellent first meeting with Vanya, and it could have gone drastically worse. Hoping that it could have gone better would have been shocking. Some in Starfleet wanted her gone, and there was enough reason to believe Starfleet had buried her career. Just as effectively as they'd buried her at an Embassy on Qo'nos. And now there was a second chance for her, on a  renegade ship on a trek across the stars.

When Vanya stands and pats her on the shoulder, Nara favors the Lieutenant with a polite smile, nodding to the door and the corridor beyond it.

"Yes, let's get to the lab; I'd hate to be late on my first day, of course. Is there anything today that You'll need me to give any special attention? I'm looking forward to assisting where I can." Nara's tone of voice was polite and cheerful as she walked to the turbolift, keeping a steady pace alongside the Romulan. The tray of muffins is still firmly level in her hands. Maybe some of the other science personnel would enjoy them. While Nara had no clue just what the Theurgy was researching, she did want actually to be helpful, not just restart her scientific career. A posting like the Theurgy would usually be the pinnacle of someone's career, but under the present circumstances, it was a better bet that she'd be behind a desk collating reports.

Nara didn't get the idea that Vanya was one for idle chatter, and Nara kept an eye on the taller woman, a soft smile coming to her face. The attractive Romulan skin that Vanya wore certainly helped her feel more at ease. While Nara considered herself open-minded, there was something decidedly odd about Androids that looked the part. She'd never personally met Commander Data, but she'd seen footage with him in it, and the android had come off as mildly creepy, Vanya though, was undoubtedly a horse of a different color. The thoughts about her new CO certainly kept her busy and Nara found herself reciting something in the Vegan dialect from her home. The words of a poet that she'd read time after time. While not intended to be audible, Vanya would likely hear the softly muttered words.

"Rise on blazing wings striking out to the sky.
Night falls behind you as your flight carries the world into a new day.
Rise o phoenix, and burn across the sky
Into the cold embrace of your death
only to be born anew upon the dawn."

Reply #7
Lt. Vanya | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | corridor to Turbolift, en route to Science labs | attn: @Scavenger01

Vanya thought carefully.   There was indeed plenty to do.    She could give the crewmember pointless busy work to do, but that wasn’t her style.   She had her career dedicated to busy work when she graduated from the academy.   Had renegade Klingons not invaded, Vanya was sure that she would be stuck on that listening post, analysing communiques today.   
“I have been the Chief Science officer for less than a 2 days.”   She confessed to the tech.  “My predecessor was killed.    His logs need cataloguing.   I would particularly appreciate your views on his research into transporter technology to isolate the parasites and safely remove them from hosts.”

She noticed the other woman staring for only a second, but it was enough.   Vanya was about to say something when she quietly muttered a poem.   The words spoke of resurrection, and change.   Embracing the end of one way of being, and forging into a new self.  

"That’s beautiful”  Vanya said.   The words just seemed to resonate with her.   "May I ask who wrote them?"  Perhaps it was because she had a start that had been steeped in death, and had been reborn in the Starfleet life.   Or perhaps it represented hope, that their endless mission may one day succeed.  

It wasn’t much for Vanya to go on, but hope was the spark.   Where and how the fire burned no one would know.   Perhaps she would get through this department head thing properly this time.   She might even enjoy it.  
Inhabiting my head are:

Reply #8
[ Lt. Asra Tek | Science Lab 26 | Vector 2 Deck 7| USS Theurgy ]| Atn: @Tae  @Number6

The science lab already had changed from the origional design, the lab fabricator obviously having been hard at work creating the many holo emitters that now occupied the corner area of the Lab. The holo emitters currently projected an eclectic mix of text panels and various exploded views of Theurgy and her critical systems, filling the corner though carefully arranged to not expand beyond the invisible boundary at the edge. Seated at the center of this mess of information was Asra, her hands in frantic motion manipulating the web of data. She was  constantly  scrolling and moving various views in and out of her line of sight. The multiple thermos mugs, occupying the other stool and the physical console in her corner, stood in silent witness to the amount of sleep that the science officer had got over the last night.

Asra’s hands paused for a moment before going to take a sip out of one of the thermoses. As it reached her lips she let out a sad squeak finding said thermos devoid of beverage. Placing the thermos back down she turned back and did a quick spin  to look at all the data hovering around her. She may have only come aboard last night but she was now confident in saying that she understood this ship at least from a theoretical perspective. She could almost hear Regor’s memories lecturing her on how you never really knew a ship until you were waist deep in her guts. Reaching up she plucked one of the holograms from the air, spreading her hands to enlarge it, and pulled it back down to eye level. An involuntary smile grew on her face as she looked at it. Even if the hologram was a big box of unknown, it was what it represented that she loved. It was the physical form of  Asra's biggest dream for the last 3 years, since Voyager returned from the Delta Quadrant. Finally not only did she have the freedom to fully research the Quantum Slipstream effect but she even had a fully working drive to analyze to her heart's content.

A wistful sigh escaped her mouth as she pushed it to the side and stood up, stretching as she did so. She held the stretch until her back, and several other joints, gave a satisfying pop. A quick tap of a holographic button then caused all of the displays blocking her into the alcove to dissipate. Asra placed all of the thermoses in the replicator for dematerialisation before proceeding to the Lab door. The doors parted with a soft hiss granting access to the corridor beyond, so she stepped out turning to head to the turbolift

Reply #9
CM 1 Nara Nueva | 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | corridor to Turbolift, en route to Science labs | attn: @Number6  @Scavenger01

Nara shrugged politely to Vanya at the question of the poetry, her ears went slightly red and a blush crept to her cheeks. She'd been caught in a rather personal indulgence of hers, and one that she had no way out of sharing, not that she'd meant to let her new CO know about it as of yet, or ever.

"I'm not quite sure if I'm honest; they're words that have been in my family for centuries, possibly since Earth. But I'm not quite sure. The story is they were written for the dedication of one of the first colony ships to Vega, but I don't know if there's any truth to that. But I do feel that they fit our situation here. We're on a journey through fire and flames that see us burning to the last of our effort. And we'll either be failures or be vindicated. Unfortunately, unlike a Phoenix, we may not emerge from the ashes, but perhaps the Federation might."

Nara shrugged then as they neared the lab, and she spotted the Trill stepping out of it. An eyebrow rose slightly, having spotted the vaguely familiar figure. The woman carried herself somewhat different, her posture not quite what the young woman back at the Daystrom Institute had held herself with. But that very well might've been Asra. It couldn't be, though? That would have been too much of a coincidence. The facts he was coming out of the lab, though, were a bit amusing. All-nighters were easily part of their careers.

"Good morning, Lieutenant, off to get some rest after a long night?"

Nara wasn't sure if Asra would recognize her after so many years or even recognize the unusual Vegan accents he had. But she wanted to be polite and make a good impression on her first day aboard the ship. Remembered or not, she'd have to work with the crew to reestablish her career and build herself back up.

Re: Day 02 [0745 hrs] Muffins and radiation: the breakfast of...well, not champions.

Reply #10
Lt Vanya| 0745 | Deck 10 | Vector 02 | corridor to Turbolift, en route @RyeTanker @Tae

"Thanks, I'l sure to do some research on that.   Even if it's apocryphal its kind of beautiful."

The androids heart swelled with joy.   A well known criticism of scientists was that they didn't have a soul, being interested in statistics and outcomes.    The truth was that a scienrier was creative with their theories and work as an artist with their muse and medium.    The artistic drive was just as potent as the creative inspiration, a fact that was proven when the two women saw the other new member of her team up to her neck in Theurgy's specs, looking like an artist  surrounded by the work of their peers, or a musician in the wings at someone else's concert.     

She was about to comment when Nara spoke.     Vanya wondered if she saw recognition on the Vegan woman's face.     Deciding not to indulge that curiosity she chose to ignore it.    

"May I present Lt. Asra Tek, one of our Science officers, another newbie as humans say."

She gestured next to the woman beside her.   

"Asra, this is Nara Nueva.    She's a new tech, but aside from a way with words, she's also got the potential to be so much more."

She scrutinised the holographic display.     Ah, they always go for the slipstream drive. She decided to go for a bit of playful ribbing.    She glided across the lab and made a grand point of regarding the columns of data.     

"I'd be careful though, Thea doesn't like people snooping.       Rumour is the last person who annoyed her ended up getting their annual physical four weeks early."

- FIN

This thread being old and forgotten, I will lock it, but PM me if you want to continue the scene. /Auctor
Inhabiting my head are:

Simple Audio Video Embedder