Skip to main content
Topic: Science & Soul 2019 | Award Nominations (Read 4482 times) previous topic - next topic

Science & Soul 2019 | Award Nominations

SCIENCE & SOUL | AWARD NOMINATIONS

The results for the Inner Light and Pakled Order award polls have been announced, so make sure you go there and congratulate the recipients.

Nominations for two new Writing Awards are now open until the 5th of December, where two separate polls will be posted on the 6th of December for the two award categories and their nominated scenes respectively.

This time the awards are these:

This is dedicated to a writer who mines Stark Trek canon for technical or cultural details, or built a species that truly stand out in originality. To read posts from this writer is to feel as if one is walking in the shoes of a real person in the Star Trek universe. Details should have long-lasting effects on the Theurgy story as a whole.

This award is bestowed on a writer who demonstrated extraordinary character development and depth of writing. The character's plot goals are long-term with life-altering changes.

NOMINATION RULES

Here are the rules for Award Nominations:

• Nominations should be posted in the announced nomination thread posted on the forum. Anonymous nominations may be made to the Game Moderator via PM on the forum, who will then post the nomination in the nomination thread.
  • Nominations are to be made before the announced nomination time expires.
  • Nominations may be made by any member that isn't an Applicant.
  • Self-nominations are not permitted.
  • There is no limit to the number of nominations one can make.
  • Prior winners of the same awards are not eligible.
  • Each nomination should include a motivation. The nomination write-up is 50 words minimum and should concentrate on why the recipient(s) is/are deserving of the award. You should also make sure to include links.

All nominations will be added to the polls that will determine the winner of the awards. 

NOMINATION FORM

• Forum Name of Nominee(s)
  • Primary Reason for Nomination
  • Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional)
  • Motivation & Links (50 words minimum)

Of course, you should only nominate scenes where at least one of the writers in the scene are still an active writer on the forum. There is no need to nominate scenes where all writers that wrote it have left the sim a long time ago.

I look forward to reading your nominations here in this thread! :)

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Science & Soul 2019 | Award Nominations

Reply #1
I'd like to nominate Brutus for the Researcher's Medal for his excellent writing with his various characters.

Brutus' posts, in my admittedly limited experience writing with him, are consistently peppered with Trek facts, lore and technobabble, all of which add an extra level of depth to interactions with him. I can imagine it takes both a solid knowledge of the Star Trek universe, as well as a good deal of time spent on google and memory alpha, to consistently add such detail to one's posts, and I think he ought to be commended for it.

Reply #2
Forum Name of Nominee(s):
I would like to nominate @Fife for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Numen for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Top Hat for the Researcher's Medal

I would like to nominate @BZ for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Fiendfall for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Twilkins for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Nolan for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Arista for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Stegro for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Brutus for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Doc M. for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @SummerDawn for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @SteelPhoenix for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @Griff for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @TrevorVW for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

I would like to nominate @LisaVW for both the Researcher's Medal and the Depth of Character awards.

Primary Reason for Nomination:
Since there's a whole army I've nominated, I'm not able to provide links for posts (I apologize, and if I did, we'll be at this forever) but I will cite that each of these people deserve the nominations in my opinion. Throughout the time that they've been here, they've all demonstrated individual unique developments, research into racial culture, behaviour, tendencies, abilities and/or natural skills, for each and every one of their characters.

Without a doubt, I have seen the dedication of these writers to staying true to the lore and characterizations of Star Trek, and if they were to write episodes for actual Trek films, I'd watch them...repeatedly.

They also stay true to their characters, ever-faithful to the little details, the speech and manners befitting their race and also injecting much needed verbal entertainment at every turn.

Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional):
I would point out that these writers are all taking time out of their busy real life schedules. Many of these people have families, even children, and find a way to balance out the time they spend here for us, and caring for RL obligations. I raise my glass in toast to all of you, and I again say, you deserve the awards.

Motivation & Links (50 words minimum):
My motivations...well, I think I pointed them out, and I'm getting ready to pass out, so much apologies, but no links from me.

P.S. I don't care what the rules say, I nominate @Triage for the "effort" taken to dig into all the profiles, conduct research on who had what awards, and making all the links for ease of access for this nominations to be possible. Joke of course. :P

Reply #3
Sorry Triage, this nomination method is not according to the rules for nominations and therefore not valid. You will have to write fifty words of motivation for each writer and award you want to nominate them for. I will also not approve copy-paste motivations, since they are to be uniquely motivated towards the Award categories, and preferably with links for them all as well.

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Reply #4
It's that time again! For the Researcher's Medal, I'd like to nominate:

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Top Hat
Primary Reason for Nomination: Development of the Hermat species
Motivation & Links: TH's knowledge of Star Trek canon is pretty great all round to be honest. He was invaluable when I joined the sim, as I was unfamiliar with Trek and TH's help and advice regarding writing an engineer was wonderful. I still badger him with technical questions all the time and he always has a helpful and reliable answer. More than all of this, though, his development of the Hermat species (an underdeveloped species in Beta canon) is fabulous, with a lot of thought going into their culture, biology, and history all while keeping it in-line with Trek canon and flavour. He also writes this very alien species super well, with all their oddities coming across in his posts. For a link, see the Hermat wiki page, written by TH.

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Numen
Primary Reason for Nomination: Species knowledge and flavour
Motivation & Links: Numen writes three alien characters and has extensive knowledge about each of their species, cultures, and languages. She includes a lot of Klingon and Vulcan language in her posts, as well as going diving for obscure rituals, events, and objects from the cultures to include. She also references the biology of these species, using lots of tiny details so that these characters always feel both alien and part of their own rich culture. She's my go-to for knowledge about Klingons, Vulcans, or Cardassians, and so much of the Vulcan flavour in my own posts is down to Numen helping me with information or links on the topic. For links, see the Vulcan language and cultural events & items referenced in 'Far From the Tree', as well as the Klingon language and cultural references in 'bISolnISbe'taHmeH yIyep ma'rIch Ides'

Nominations for depth of character to follow :)
Lt Cmdr Hathev - Counselling - Chief Counsellor
"Logic without ethics is no logic at all." [Show/Hide]
Ensign Inej 'Avi' Avirim - Security - Investigations Officer
"Live fast, die stupid." [Show/Hide]
Xelia - Civillian - Holoprogram Designer
"Envy isn't your colour, babe." [Show/Hide]

Reply #5
For Researchers Medal:

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Top Hat
Primary Reason for Nomination For his deep knowledge in trek lore and his help developing the warp factor calculator
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) Add on to his previous nomination.
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) Top Hat has a deep knowledge of trek technology and an excellent technobabble competence. You just need to read some of his post with T'Less or Nator on duty: you have no doubt that what the characters are saying has full significance and has a depth and extreme complexity that perhaps escapes to someone more clueless, but that has full relevance in context. When you read a 'technical' post from TH you don't get the feeling that it's telling you that the character finds the conduit A in the B, there's a much greater complexity behind and a deeper tech significance. Reading TH really makes you feel in the future and brings a very deep dimension to the plot.

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Arista
Primary Reason for Nomination His deep rendering of the Cardassian culture
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) His online inquiry to contact the creator of a Cardassian conlang to enrich the lore of Cardassian writers (or those with characters natives in Kardasi)
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) There are very few of us who write Cardassian characters or with a Cardassian background and Arista is a true guide on how to do it. His knowledge in canon (alpha and beta) about the species and his endeavour to make it even more complex and realistic is praiseworthy. It is not easy to take a race that has been used in the show as antagonist almost 100% of the time and give them the complexity and depth that allows us to see the greys of their actions, the good of the culture, the bad and the greys. It is worth mentioning the threads that he wrote with FT where both gave were extraordinarily outstanding. (link & link )

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Brutus
Primary Reason for Nomination For his deep knowledge of the beta canon
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) Look at Brutus, take a good look at him. I'm sure he' s read every novel and comic book about satar trek. He GMs STA. And if he has not read everything edited about star trek he is quite close to it.
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) I'm not going to point out any post because this nomination for brutus comes mostly for OOC comments. Are you wondering about a obscure starship that only is featured in a novel? Brutus knows about it and can provide additional information. This species that...? Brutus knows about it. What happens in 2384 in....? I said that Brutus knows. Best of all, he usually doesn't brag about that knowledge, but gives it to help those in need in a humble and eager to help way. And he deserves all my praise for it.

Depth of character nominations would come later today (maybe after @fiendfall ones? ;P )

Reply #6
Alright, round two! For the Depth of Character award, I'd like to nominate:

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Brutus
Primary Reason for Nomination: Natalie Stark's development
Motivation & Links: Stark has really had to step up in terms of responsibility with becoming Acting XO and now 2XO, and I love how Brutus has written her struggle with this change. Her uncertainty with the position, as well as her personal traumas, have been consistently well-written and never brushed under the carpet, and it's great to see her develop realistically like this. She's a lovely character, warm and capable and very human and real. For some particularly nice threads, see 'Master & (Lieutenant) Commander', 'Conservatory Evaluation', 'Patch Job', 'Ghosts in the Machine', & 'bISolnISbe'taHmeH yIyep ma'rIch Ides'. NB: Being a fairly recent addition to the sim I'm sure I've missed a lot of Classic Stark Threads, if anyone has threads that should be up here but aren't please feel free to add them!

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Fife
Primary Reason for Nomination: Characterisation of Cross
Motivation & Links: Cross has had a lot to deal with, between losing a hand and being corrected to become a full Vulcan, and Fife isn't afraid to fully deal with the consequences of this realistically. There's no quick fix for this, and Cross has been dealing with it all through several threads. He's already a great character, complex and deep with well-written motivations, and watching him come to terms with his changes has ben great. For threads, see: 'Egos, Emotives & Expletives' and 'Trials & Tribulations', 'A Horse to Water',  'Vulcan Hand Jobs', & 'Disappearing Acts'.

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @BZ
Primary Reason for Nomination: Writing of Blue Tiran
Motivation & Links: Blue has a wonderfully deep character, and just like the others here, BZ doesn't shy away from taking her time with developments and details to make Blue feel like a real person. She's funny, competent, full of personality, and with deeply complex trauma that she's still dealing with and recovering from. See all the Blucote threads (highlights linked here), plus 'Hollow Hearted', and the counselling series 'Baggage Claim' and 'The Encumbered Engineer'.

Reply #7
Well I want to say that I fully agree with the nominations that fienfall has made and that I endorse them wholeheartedly. In fact, I was going to make an immense list that included them, but I'm going to save them because Fienfall has done an excellent job and I'm going to try to contribute with different ones. So give my +1 to @BZ @Brutus @Fife nominations

First! a theurgist i've forget to add to the researcher nomination

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Stegro88
Primary Reason for Nomination For his developt of Reman wiki page
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional)
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) The Remans are a canon species about which we know very little. They has been featured in a single film and although there is material about them in beta there is very little to work on. Stegro has managed to give it a consistent form and build a great character upon it.

NOW! For the Depth of character:

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Top Hat
Primary Reason for Nomination Ranaan Ducote
look!
DU
-CO-
TE
we need
more!
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum): Ducote is the XO we need. In his first appearance on the forum was a shipless officer, who had lost his crew, his captain and the love of his life (see first link). has been through incarceration, has evaluated an invisible threat and, at all times has tried to deal with his personal problems without ceasing to be himself. On the contrary, he has put aside some of his paranoia and lack of trust (willing to blow up the Niger, eh my dear amigo?), he has listened to the different sides (he has met with Nicander at least twice, he has been in the meeting with Anya Ziegler, he has met with Ives and trent and too many others), he has reflected on all this and has always tried to do the BEST for his crew (as a whole) for the Federation and for everyone around him. He decided to join the crew and embrace a job he didn't ask for in a ship he didn't trust for the greater good, even with a broken heart. He has given us small moments like his farewell to one of his crew members because he looks beyond his own necessities and ponder about the whole picture... and about the interest of every one of the crewmembers under his charge. The changes have been subtle and small and so gradual that we may not have noticed but... this man, loyal to the Starfleet that could have rejoined it, has decided to declare himself a traitor (officially) because it is the right thing to do. What an irony. Even, at the end, he cares deeply for the integrity of the crew he was so distrustful. And i'm leaving aside one of my fav ships and how it has affected him due i think Ranaan is more than that ;)

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @fiendfall
Primary Reason for Nomination For Hathev
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) For the subtlety of writing emotional and mental changes into a member of a logical, emotional and repressed species.
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) I'm going to confess that I have a little bias with Hathev, which I think is obvious at this point. But if you haven't been following his threads you should. Because underneath all those layers of logic and coldness there is a very compassionate person, willing to change her point of view, to forgive and to accept, and all this doesn't just come from logic. She is a person willing to forgive those who have destroyed her ship, her comrades and her life, to embrace her position and its mission, to help a former  (and complicated)  orensu and maybe even to find a kindred soul. More than enough to deserve this award.

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Auctor Lucan
Primary Reason for Nomination for being able to write a hundred characters and not spread too thin (or perish in the attempt)
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) I will not provide links to this nomination. All of us have interacted with lucan's characters, to a greater or lesser extent. We have all had important moments, moments that have made our characters grow, conflicts, flirtation, friendship, dispute ... a lot of development. Each one has his favourite or hated Lucan characters. But if it wasn't for lucan (and his characters!) none of us would be here now. I only want to point out, for my own sake, Ida and the whole arc of Patriotic Dignity (featured in a previous nomination), in V-Nine and her transition from an appliance to a sensitive being (although we're only beginning to view it recently) and in the importance that Nerina has had in the Versant arc.

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Nolan
Primary Reason for Nomination Thomas Ravon's growth as an officer and his way of coping with his personal life.
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) Zephvon ( I wish I could have believed... although something must remain ;) ) and Zyvon (i see what you are making here...)
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum)Let me review what has happened to the poor Thomas since he returned to theurgy during the battle of Starbase 84:
- Has become SCO
- He's lost a good part of his squadron.
- He's had to see friends and enemies die like flies.
- He's got back the woman he's always been in love with.
- He lost her before he could be aware of it.
- he has found new friends and enemies
- he has got his face smashed in his office.
- and, in general,he has become a better version of the officer he used to be... with some issues to work around ;).

He still has to do some work, but I think we have Thomas Ravon for a while. However, only in the last episode he has a LONG journey.

Reply #8
One last round of nominations from me! These took a little longer to put together...  :p But first, +1 to all of @Numen's  nominations above <3

Now, for the Depth of Character award:

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Arista
Primary Reason for Nomination: Characterisation & development of Anya Ziegler
Motivation & Links: Ziegler is great. She's a rich and realistic character, a badass captain, and a wise officer. Arista doesn't compromise on her characterisation, and she feels fully real in that she has her own life and story separate from what we see on-screen. His willingness to have her enter and leave the story shows a real dedication — if she was mine I'd want her here constantly, but the decision to have her come and go adds so much to her character and story that it's really got to be commended. I think it's safe to say Ziegler is the only example where a writer adds to a character's realism by not writing them! Arista does a great job. For threads, see: 'Master & (Lieutenant) Commander', 'Blood for Blood', 'From the Ashes', & 'The Battle of the Apertures'.

Forum Name of Nominee(s): @Numen
Primary Reason for Nomination: Hidden depths to all her characters
Motivation & Links: Continuing on from her nomination for the Inner Light award (reasoning here), Numen writes three richly detailed characters who all have wonderfully hidden depths while remaining perfectly in-character. Khorin plays the buffoon, but read him with Zephyr and you'll see his gentle and caring side (see 'Castles by the Sea', 'The Targ House', & 'Next to Me'). Similarly, Bila appears as a gentle jester but has real trauma and complexity that he's still dealing with (see 'Room to Breathe', 'The Outsiders', Cardassian Rhapsody', & 'New Friends, Old ghosts'). Finally, Seren is the most traditional Vulcan in the sim, but Numen's nuance and attention to detail in her writing means you can tell what he's thinking and feeling in a masterclass of 'show, don't tell' (see 'Egos, Emotions & Expletives', 'Far From the Tree', 'The More Things Change', & 'Course Correction').

Simple Audio Video Embedder