Skip to main content
Topic: Day 09 [0710 hrs.] Pancakes, More Pancakes, All the Pancakes! (Read 1647 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 09 [0710 hrs.] Pancakes, More Pancakes, All the Pancakes!

[Lieutenant Alistair Leavitt | Mess Hall | Deck 13 | USS Theurgy ] Attn. @SarahBerry
[Show/Hide]

It was an occupational hazard for Alistair, when presented with a particularly interesting project, to simply go 'Max Nerd', as one colleague had memorably described it. After getting past the first couple of days onboard the Theurgy and starting to become a functional human again after all the horror of the past few weeks, it was if Alistair's 'Max Nerd' switch had been flipped to maximum and left there. He was a sugar addict in Candyland, a computer programmer aboard the most advanced ship in two quadrants, and he was as happy as could be, playing with the Theurgy's many complex systems.

Daily, Alistair reminded himself that he was only distracting himself from his recent traumatic experiences and the inevitable battles that were yet to come. Even so, the morning before he was scheduled to work on Thea, he couldn't deny the excitement. As he got out of bed, showered and got dressed, Alistair was already contemplating Thea's positronic matrix and his planned approach. He was, indeed, almost in a daze as he headed down to the mess hall for breakfast, moving to one of the few available replicators. The lounge was bustling with the night shift getting in their dinner before heading to bed, and the day shift grabbing breakfast with varying levels of enthusiasm. It was remarkably easy to assess at a glance who the morning people were, and those for whom coffee had yet to sink in yet.

"Computer," Alistair said as he got to the replicator, then paused, realising that he had no idea what to get. Shrugging, he said "Oh, why not? Give me some random breakfast. Uh, human breakfast."

Please specify portion size, the computer responded smoothly.

Alistair, however, having glanced away, didn't track the computer voice over the morning hubbub, and frowned as he saw that his favourite table near the viewports was occupied. "For three people?" he said, exasperated, seeing that three security officers had crowded around a table that was clearly meant for one. Still, there was no point making a fuss about it. Taking his (rather heavy) plate and drink without looking, Alistair began weaving through the tables, moving somewhat more gracefully than would be expected.

It took a good thirty seconds before he realised exactly why his plate was so heavy and why his hand was suddenly aching: there were pancakes on it. A lot of pancakes. An entire stack of them, in fact, so tall that they threatened to tip over. Startled, Alistair stared at the pancakes in bewilderment before there was a familiar flash of gold at the corner of his eye. Seeing Sarah sat at a table, he headed in her direction, holding his laden plate rather more gingerly now that he knew what was on it.

"Morning Sarah," he said with an awkward smile, twisting his head around the pancake tower to look at her. Alistair glanced downward at the empty seat across from her. "Uh...may I?"

Re: Day 09 [0710 hrs.] Pancakes, More Pancakes, All the Pancakes!

Reply #1
Ens. Sarah Bjørge | Mess Hall | Deck 13 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Griff
[Show/Hide]

This argument was getting nowhere fast, and honestly, it was beginning to start bugging her. Sarah had been typing away on her PADD furiously, the subtle clacking of her fingernails against the glass screen almost inaudible against the dull roar of the crowd around her. Her breakfast was still beside her, though hardly touched. A bowl of watermelon with something spicy smelling sprinkled atop with a plate next to it filled with some sort of egg and cheese-filled bread. Finishing off was a cup of now-lukewarm lavender tea, the smell of it still potent enough to waft off to whoever was nearby. It seemed to be a staple of hers. With blonde brows furrowed, Sarah completed a final sentence before setting the small device down and looking up to who had called her name, her attention having been affixed somewhere else upon the initial call of her name.

"Good morning Alistair!~" She gasped, surprised and obviously delighted to lay eyes on the tall Engineer once more. That was certainly an improvement to her morning, and an even better excuse to not bother arguing with that stupid fighter pilot anymore. Honestly she swore they let anyone be a fighter pilot these days.

"Of course, of course, please!" She replied, scooting her tray off to one side to make room for Alistair's own tray, its contents earning Alistair a smirk from Sarah.

"Woke up hungry? Quite a spread.." She murmured, looking at the almost laughable amount of pancakes he'd ordered. "-No shame though! You just always struck me as a steak and eggs type, you know? Not so much a sweet tooth~" She explained, her smile still wide as she looked back up to him, her expression now one of dear affection now that he was seated, her prior one making her look almost..furious.
Ensign Sarah Bjørge, Nurse

[Show/Hide]

Reply #2
[Lieutenant Alistair Leavitt | Mess Hall | Deck 13 | USS Theurgy ] Attn. @SarahBerry
[Show/Hide]

"Thanks," Alistair said in relief as he set the tray, then flapped his left hand with a wince. Sitting down, he grinned reflexively at Sarah as he shrugged. "Yeah, this is what I get for asking the computer to surprise me. I haven't had pancakes in years; normally I stick with light breakfasts, you know, fruit and cereal, that sort of thing. Kind of like what you've got. I...right. I asked for a three-person portion by mistake."

Bemused, Alistair drank some of his orange juice and, after a moment's thought, simply dug in. Upon tasting the first slice of syrup-topped pancake, he closed his eyes and groaned softly. "Oh boy, that is good. I don't know why I don't eat pancakes more often. Vulcan food is spicy like you wouldn't believe, but their savoury stuff is nothing compared to Earth food." After savouring the moment, Alistair looked at Sarah. "So, is everything okay? Before I said hello, you looked like you wanted to hit someone. Not literally hit, of course...well, maybe you do, I'm not one to judge."

Reply #3
Ens. Sarah Bjørge | Mess Hall | Deck 13 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Griff
[Show/Hide]

"By mistake?" She replied back with her own smarmy grin, not sure if he was just being cute or if he really was that dreamy-headed in the mornings, either way- it was an as good excuse as any to get back to her breakfast. Upon picking up her knife and fork, she too began to dig in, a mouthful of yolk-covered bread popping behind pink-glossed lips as she listened to the Lieutenant speak. She'd had no idea Vulcan food was spicy- she hadn't had much of a thought to try it- but someday she'd definitely take him up on it. She liked spicy food, though it certainly didn't like her.

"Oh, that was just some guy I met in the gym yesterday while I was doing yoga. Fighter pilot, cocky, arrogant, assumptive- all qualities I hate in a man." She explained after a quick swallow and a roll of her eyes. "I think we are trying to make friends, but he is making it difficult. We are both stubborn and hot-headed- so I am waiting for him to pull rank in an argument we are having..though admittedly I am being just as disrespectful." She replied with a small huff, taking another bite of her breakfast, chewing thoughtfully as she changed the subject.

"So what have you been up to lately? I have not seen you since our 2 am room call, I had almost wondered if I had scared you off."
Ensign Sarah Bjørge, Nurse

[Show/Hide]

Reply #4
[Show/Hide]

Despite himself, as he attacked his pancakes with gusto, Alistair found himself distinctly curious about Sarah's...'friend'? A man whom she seemingly disliked and liked in equal measure? It was intriguing, and Alistair made a mental note to watch out for any male fighter pilots with those character traits. How many pilots were there in a squadron, anyway? Twelve? Sixteen? There couldn't be that many.

He wasn't even jealous! Well, mostly not jealous. Something about Sarah was just endlessly fascinating, and Alistair found himself wanting to know more and more about her. He couldn't even pinpoint exactly what it was about Sarah that was so...enthralling. It was a completely novel experience, quite unlike any infatuation that he'd had before, which of course which made the whole affair even more exhilarating.

Mid-chew as Sarah asked her question, it took a moment for Alistair to swallow and answer. "You'll have to do much more than that to scare me off, I think," he said with a grin. "I should've called, though, I'm sorry. I haven't been doing anything interesting....well, I'm working with Thea later on, I guess. For a computer scientist like me, working with an AI of her sophistication is...uh..." He trailed off, trying to find the words. "It's...uh...a boyhood dream come true, to be entirely honest."

Alistair took a little bite, considering Sarah for a moment. "You work with an AI too, right? That Savi android? What's that like?"

- FIN

(for the time being, in case the other writer returns)

Simple Audio Video Embedder